9.0

1. Aug 3, 2013
    Mercenaries advertised itself as a more extreme Grand Theft Auto and, for a short while at least, there is certainly some fun to be had traversing to game world causing as much destruction as possible. Unfortunately the limitations of the PlayStation 2 and a lack of imagination on the part of the developers mean it can never live up to its ambition.

The gameplay itself changes very

The gameplay itself changes very little from start to finish and the repetitive nature of the missions means it is often actually more enjoyable to just not bother with them. Add to this some terrible enemy AI and you have an ambitious title that just doesn't quite work the way it should.
  2. Sep 12, 2013
    While it is a little rough around the edges, it's still a ton of fun. It's basically GTA: War

Graphics are decent, but the desolate landscape feels so lifeless and bland it does give it a little bit of a sterile look when nothing is blowing up. Luckily there is almost always action in the game, so this is a minor point. Main characters are very well voiced and give varied enough

Main characters are very well voiced and give varied enough performances to warrant you playing through more than once just to hear the dialogue. Particularly Mattias, who is just awesome!

Overall:
    It isn't perfect but is allot of fun and worth a go.
  3. Mar 14, 2014
    I incredibly enjoyed Mercenaries due to the Open World experience only before seen in Grand Theft Auto. The thought that there are other things than the main story was mind-blowing when I first played it, having not played any Grand Theft Auto game at that time. The dynamic environment was what sealed the deal for me. The ability to blow up buildings, hijack helicopters and call inI incredibly enjoyed Mercenaries due to the Open World experience only before seen in Grand Theft Auto. The thought that there are other things than the main story was mind-blowing when I first played it, having not played any Grand Theft Auto game at that time. The dynamic environment was what sealed the deal for me. The ability to blow up buildings, hijack helicopters and call in airstrikes? This game was amazing!

The only reason this is a 9 and not 10 is because there were a few annoying Glitches I found in the game.
  4. SamF.
    Oct 6, 2005
    Mercenaries at first glance might look and play like the GTA games, but once you start playing you realize only the Freedom of go anywhere do anything is the same. You have the ability to call in airstrikes, Airdrops, and destroy anything you see in the envirement. this game's only flaw is the sometimes difficulty you have when in close prroximty on foot Trying to shoot. Not your Mercenaries at first glance might look and play like the GTA games, but once you start playing you realize only the Freedom of go anywhere do anything is the same. You have the ability to call in airstrikes, Airdrops, and destroy anything you see in the envirement. this game's only flaw is the sometimes difficulty you have when in close prroximty on foot Trying to shoot. Not your average game as this one really lets every possible scenerio you could imagine a reality...steal any vehicle and go about missions anyway you choose...Truly an amazing achievement! Expand
  5. Zach
    Mar 2, 2005
    Best game i have played in a while.It is like grand theft auto but better.The plot is fairly realistic too.
  6. Hades
    Mar 20, 2005
    I finally got around to playing Mercenaries and I have to say it is an enjoyable SINGLE player game, though a bit over-praised.. The game strikes me as a mixture between Hitman and Grand Theft Auto, which would seem to be a stunning melding of two great series.. and it is really really good, but I think you might get the general enjoyment or 'use' from this title with merely a I finally got around to playing Mercenaries and I have to say it is an enjoyable SINGLE player game, though a bit over-praised.. The game strikes me as a mixture between Hitman and Grand Theft Auto, which would seem to be a stunning melding of two great series.. and it is really really good, but I think you might get the general enjoyment or 'use' from this title with merely a rental. Definitely a good game, though not neccesarily 'great'... Driving becomes tedious rather than fun, and the cars handle a bit clumsily at times (or is it more realistically?) Granted, the interface to the various menus is implemented very well, and the graphics are pretty good (though the PS2's hardware is definitely beginning to show age...) The main thing the game has definitely going for it as greatly unique is the destruction you can cause, the physics of destroying things is pretty impressive. Though, I found for me the novelty seemed to wear off a bit quicker than I'd have hoped after reading most reviews. Expand
  7. G.Weeks
    Jan 6, 2005
    This will revolutionize the GTA genre with things like evrything is destroyable, and there's pretty much n e thing to steal.
  8. RyanG.
    Feb 23, 2005
    It's one of the best games i ve played better than san-andreas.
  9. MikeB.
    Mar 8, 2005
    This game is the best game i have ever played. It's like a cross between GTA and SOCOM. It's whole plot, and the ability to free roam are awesome!
  10. kieranH
    Jul 6, 2008
    A fantastic game and is a great alternative to gta, infact its better in my opinion. I spend half my time during the game just blowing up NK soldiers and cars with all sorts of weapons and t if u need help during the game use a airstrike to blow the crap out of it . Heaps of replay value. u can even hijack helicopters!!!
  11. D.
    Jan 22, 2005
    First of all, you can't kill innocent people, when you're shot at it looks like the bullets are going 12 miles per hour. Just not that good.
  12. GarettElmer
    Jan 5, 2005
    Must Buy Instantly!
  13. UberMench
    Feb 1, 2005
    Best game in the world i loved it.
  14. EfeB.
    Feb 20, 2005
    I usually dont believe in hype, so i was skeptical before hand. now that i have played for 2 full days in a row, i must say that mercenaries is as fun a videogame can ever be. the structure is like GTA...meaning, you can do your own thing and goto specific houses for "missions". actually, GTA san-andreas kicks mercenaries butt in terms of freedom and variety, but mercenaries is a warI usually dont believe in hype, so i was skeptical before hand. now that i have played for 2 full days in a row, i must say that mercenaries is as fun a videogame can ever be. the structure is like GTA...meaning, you can do your own thing and goto specific houses for "missions". actually, GTA san-andreas kicks mercenaries butt in terms of freedom and variety, but mercenaries is a war game...so, you know...you cannot actually call an airstrike and blow up everything you see in GTA, that is for mercenaries exlusive!. you get to control 3 "heros", yet you get to pick one only at first. there are lots of vehicles and armored military stuff to drive as well as helicopters. the controls on the helicopters could have been better since you cannot pan the camera around the vehicle...this bothers me aaah....so much. but the flight controls are good. the weather is kind of muddy all the time...when you take off with the chopper and get a medium altitude, you cannot even see whats below...its so muddy, foggy and...anyway, why can't it be sunny?...i dont know. now, another thing...i like "rag-doll" effects alot in games, such as hitman and punisher, i still havent figured out if this game uses rag doll system, sometimes it kind of looks like it does but in most times the enemy dies the same way (especially when shot with a gun). so, thats another complaint of mine...it also would have been better to go inside bulidings...am i asking too much?...well...the game HAS alot going for it though, i mean there are lots of things to do and almost all of it are fun. i love the "fugitive capture" missions, where you go and hunt down wanted people, similar to the iraq war "playing cards...ace of clubs, 8th of spades" kind of thing. cool. Expand
  15. DaveA.
    Feb 5, 2005
    Mercenaries is one of the greatest games that I have played (Thus Far). It has its strengths and its weaknesses. More strengths that the alternative. Here is a list of each: Strengths: Large-Scale detailed environment Almost fully destructable environment Constant war to keep you on you toes tons of weapons and vehicles weaknesses: Not-so-good stealth system weather never changes and Mercenaries is one of the greatest games that I have played (Thus Far). It has its strengths and its weaknesses. More strengths that the alternative. Here is a list of each: Strengths: Large-Scale detailed environment Almost fully destructable environment Constant war to keep you on you toes tons of weapons and vehicles weaknesses: Not-so-good stealth system weather never changes and there is no night time (except in certain missions) Overall it is an excellent game and is 100% worth the price. Expand
  16. BuddyLee
    Feb 7, 2005
    I love this game. It reminds me of Grand Theft Auto, but militarily based. I love stealing vehicles and calling in drops for cars, supplies or air strikes. i just got this 2 days ago and have played it none stop.
  17. JoshC.
    Mar 12, 2005
    This game is incredible!!! the detail and airstrikes! its faultless!!! if you dont buy this game there is something actually wrong with you....
  18. KeithL.
    Apr 12, 2005
    Outstanding Game. Nice graphics. Good game physics and game play. I'm going through a second time to see if I can catch all the cards without killing any of them. Tons of game play possibilities and experimentation. If it had a bit more plot and a tad stronger stealth element, I'd give it a ten. It deserves a ten, anyway.
  19. Tim
    Apr 22, 2005
    I rented this game and intend to buy it when the price drops, so I think it's one of the few that don't get old within a week. While there isn't much of a storyline, it does provide a great open environment and a number of ways to go about doing the missions, and some things--like calling in air strikes--can be insanely fun. There are some parts, though, like the final I rented this game and intend to buy it when the price drops, so I think it's one of the few that don't get old within a week. While there isn't much of a storyline, it does provide a great open environment and a number of ways to go about doing the missions, and some things--like calling in air strikes--can be insanely fun. There are some parts, though, like the final mission, which starts out great, but keeps going and going and going and can get a bit tedious towards the end. But all in all, an awfully good game. Expand
  20. ThorB.
    Jun 6, 2005
    I'm playing this game right now and it is terrific. I havent gotten very far, ive only completed about 7 missions or so. But it's one of my top games right now. GTA meets the war series is what this game is and i love it.
  21. ChrisT.
    Jul 22, 2005
    Is one of the best games i have ever played if it moves you can steal it or kill it. it is like Gta in korea.
  22. FrameWork
    Aug 20, 2005
    Blow stuff up Blow it up some more hard day at the office this is the perfect tool.
  23. OliverW.
    Jul 9, 2006
    ten out of ten. Its a great game flawless graphics, great gameplay. Overall very fun game buy it now!
  24. TheoK.
    Sep 29, 2006
    It is a fab shooting game. Best one yet!
  25. AndyO.
    Nov 1, 2005
    You gotta respect a game like this, especially when everyone knows it will be compared to the GTA series, now I am one of those hardcore gamers and at one time GTA was very appealing and fun to play... And then I had kids all of a sudden the having sex with hookers or stabbing a guy in the head and watching blood spew out was still cool but my conscience kicked in and I figured do i You gotta respect a game like this, especially when everyone knows it will be compared to the GTA series, now I am one of those hardcore gamers and at one time GTA was very appealing and fun to play... And then I had kids all of a sudden the having sex with hookers or stabbing a guy in the head and watching blood spew out was still cool but my conscience kicked in and I figured do i really want junior watching dad play this. But alas here comes mercenaries blood is like a off red kinda brown cloud that appears for a second and the concept of CQC is not a option especially when you could give a little hello with a RPG instead, this game really takes the fun stuff and puts a teen rating on it, with sub missions and primary missions and the more you destroy the more money you earn, penalty for killing innocents so the conscience is in the wallet and the ability to finish any mission almost anyway. The steal, kill anything similarities between GTA and mercs ends right there, but for the gamer that is not fond of the unneccessary violent images and brutal language this takes all the fun aspects of the GTA and creates its own game out of it, it is perfectly done and is not GTA with a different name. I expect more games with the "freedom format" as I call it to emerge because the interactive abilities really draws you into the game. This game is not ground breaking but who cares it is alot of fun, your a dork if you think every game has to break new ground and set monumental standards there is always games like that and they flop or go sky high but whats wrong with the ability to pick a controller up and just have fun for a few hours? Something new isn't always superb sometimes its just a pain in the ass. Expand
  26. JohnnieL.
    Jan 17, 2005
    Awesome shooing action. If you like a game were you can just go shoot to kill this is the one for you.
  27. Kenny
    Jan 22, 2005
    It's pretty much crap. It would have been good BEFORE Grand Theft Auto. But as far as compared to GTA, awful. The blowing up of things sucks. The graphics are mind-blowingly bad. The shooting system sucks, and the map is bland and boring. Vice City was made fun of for killing you if you went in the water, this is the same, but with a crappier animation. Overall, this game provides no It's pretty much crap. It would have been good BEFORE Grand Theft Auto. But as far as compared to GTA, awful. The blowing up of things sucks. The graphics are mind-blowingly bad. The shooting system sucks, and the map is bland and boring. Vice City was made fun of for killing you if you went in the water, this is the same, but with a crappier animation. Overall, this game provides no fun. I'd rather play a game that's ACTUALLY free roam. Like maybe.....Grand Theft Auto? Expand
  28. PjotrK.
    Dec 31, 2005
    Huge game. Always nice to see a very playable and enjoyable game, especially when it gives lots of missions for the money. How many games are out there that give you the task to hunt down 52 baddies and on top of that give you another 32 missions? And if that isn't enough to entice you.... don't forget that you not only can drive anything, fly the helicopters but can destroy Huge game. Always nice to see a very playable and enjoyable game, especially when it gives lots of missions for the money. How many games are out there that give you the task to hunt down 52 baddies and on top of that give you another 32 missions? And if that isn't enough to entice you.... don't forget that you not only can drive anything, fly the helicopters but can destroy anything, vehicles, buildings, bridges. Anything, except trees. I've just tried "battlefield 2: modern combat" and although it is much younger it doesn't allow that and that really detracts from the realism and enjoyment. Are their games that are more realistic? Sure. Are there games that have better graphics? Sure. Is it silly that you're character can't stand water or that the trees are undistructable. Ofcourse. But you'll be hard pressed to find any game in it's genre that give you that much enjoyment for that much time. Collapse
  29. PhilM.
    Jan 23, 2005
    I know it's easy to make the GTA comparisons but they don't really stick. This is much more a free-roaming extreme arcade game. Most fun I've had in ages.
  30. CoryM.
    Jan 27, 2005
    Seems like it runs off of a GTA engine, but propably not. It is a very fun game and action packed.
  31. GregS.
    Feb 17, 2005
    This game fetchin rocks. i just rented it and i havent been able to do my homework since i picked up the controller to play it. i love the missions and how much you can do with the game. it is a big interactive game and i love it. go out and buy it!
  32. BlakeY.
    Feb 20, 2005
    Great game, lots of action. Similar qualities to GTA San Andreas in driving and theft. Huge explosions and plenty of crap to blow the hell out of.
  33. MikeS.
    May 14, 2005
    Basically if we have to compare it to GTA, Merceneries has the better physics, controls and firepower. It lacks in driving segments, sound effects, and map design. Overall a fun game, but if you've been spoiled by GTA it might lessen some of your appreciation.
  34. George
    Aug 10, 2005
    This game was awesome and has a lot to offer. The bad thing is that there is little to explore and you cannot go back to veryfying people on the deck of 52 that you already passed.
  35. AndyM.
    Jul 31, 2006
    Do what you want. Kill who you want. Side with who you want. Steal what you want. It's like GTA only without language, blood, and as much violence. In other words, a 10-year-old-kid friendly GTA.
    Feb 26, 2007
    One of the best games ever. Sooooooooo glad they're releasing the sequel for the PS2 too. That'll be the day. See a little oil puddle under that truck full of troopers? Throw a match and blow the "living crap out of it."
  37. MikeZ.
    Jan 12, 2005
    The comparison to GTA is obvious, but the game seems to be a great combination of some of the best 3rd person games. Not original, but compared to some of the other attempts, this one works. It's actually, if you pardon the references, a combo of GTA, Freedom Fighters and to a lesser extent, SOCOM. But it stands on it's own merits where the controls are almost flawless, the game The comparison to GTA is obvious, but the game seems to be a great combination of some of the best 3rd person games. Not original, but compared to some of the other attempts, this one works. It's actually, if you pardon the references, a combo of GTA, Freedom Fighters and to a lesser extent, SOCOM. But it stands on it's own merits where the controls are almost flawless, the game play is intense, the audio is incredible and the effects are stunning. To me, its greatest assets are the particle effects. When you blow something up, it doesn't look like the last explosion and it happens structurally as you would imagine it would. The HUD is well laid out and doesn Expand
  38. JamieD.
    Jan 17, 2005
    I just got this game and so far I love it. You can blow up everything. I can't give it a ten because I am not sure how long it will take to clear this game, but I can't imagine not playing it through with each of the three unique characters. My favorite part is calling in a stealth bomber attack and watching a whole group of building fall to the ground. And flying the I just got this game and so far I love it. You can blow up everything. I can't give it a ten because I am not sure how long it will take to clear this game, but I can't imagine not playing it through with each of the three unique characters. My favorite part is calling in a stealth bomber attack and watching a whole group of building fall to the ground. And flying the helicopters is fun too. You need this game for your collection if you enjoy shooter games at all. :) Expand
  39. JoshG.
    Jan 19, 2005
    This game kicks ass. the grand theft auto thing really helped it out and the explosions are great.
  40. BryanS.
    Jan 26, 2005
    I just got this game, and so far it is pretty damn good. The only thing that I don't like about it is that it is so hard to aim at your enemies. Other than that, its great.
  41. Bigguy
    Feb 23, 2005
    Really enjoy the game. cant seem to put it down. while there are some very little flaws, i would still recommend it to anyone.
  42. Marty
    Feb 27, 2005
    Amazing... Explosions, Guns, Vehicles, Gamesplay, Map... Amazing.
  43. JesseS.
    Jun 18, 2005
    If you can imagine Grand Theft Auto, but in a war setting, where you do missions for the different factions, then you have imagined exactly what this game is. The graphics are the standard PS2 graphics you have come to know, but there are some nice particle effects. The gameplay is fairly simple, and there are a lot of fun things to do. However, the main thing you do in this game is blow If you can imagine Grand Theft Auto, but in a war setting, where you do missions for the different factions, then you have imagined exactly what this game is. The graphics are the standard PS2 graphics you have come to know, but there are some nice particle effects. The gameplay is fairly simple, and there are a lot of fun things to do. However, the main thing you do in this game is blow things up. After that, you may steal a car or kill a few people. And then blow things up. It gets boring fast. The story isn't much too inticing, either. Its a fun game, but only worth a rental, as it tends to get old REALLY fast. Expand
  44. AMttJ.
    Nov 29, 2008
    Perfection on PS2; it's not often people say that in 2008, but it truly is. Shame that the sequel looks like a sloppy port that I won't even consider purchasing.
  45. KieranS.
    Dec 15, 2008
    I first played this great game when I was 10. Right now I am 11 and I have had the most fun in the world playing this game!! The game itself has very good graphics and great sound effects!! For any people out there who like a challenge, you have come to the right game. Although, you might not like it if you hate killing, because let me tell you: "There is a whole lot of it going on in I first played this great game when I was 10. Right now I am 11 and I have had the most fun in the world playing this game!! The game itself has very good graphics and great sound effects!! For any people out there who like a challenge, you have come to the right game. Although, you might not like it if you hate killing, because let me tell you: "There is a whole lot of it going on in this game!!" I personally don't like killing, but this is a great game. Expand
  46. Gazcomsat
    Nov 19, 2005
    Probably my all-time favourite game. Well balanced missions combined with great animation and freedom to do anything and go anywhere makes this a truly wonderful game. This is the only game I've ever wanted to go back to and complete a second time. The explosions are some of the best I've seen in any game with debris seemingly coming right at you in 3D! Great weapons, huge Probably my all-time favourite game. Well balanced missions combined with great animation and freedom to do anything and go anywhere makes this a truly wonderful game. This is the only game I've ever wanted to go back to and complete a second time. The explosions are some of the best I've seen in any game with debris seemingly coming right at you in 3D! Great weapons, huge selection of cars, helicopters tanks etc to steal and blow up. Superb, almost flawless game that I can't recommend highly enough. Expand

1. A rare gem that surpasses expectations and stands as an extremely fun and engaging action game.
  2. In the end, a pared-down multi-player extravaganza does not a great single-player experience make. This game has a lot of good things going for it, but they exist in departments that ultimately don’t matter.
  3. One of the few games that has a lot of flaws but still manages to be a blast to play. There are numerous glitches and bugs, and the game’s pacing can be a bit slow (driving from area to area), but once you get in a big ol’ firefight, those things become distant memories.