8.7

1. Nov 5, 2016
    The greatest videogame's plot in history. Hideo Kojima's masterpiece! Reccomend to everyone, who enjoys good quality games with great atmosphere and stealt-action gameplay!
  2. Jul 26, 2016
    felt like this game was just made for me. Kojima pushes the limits of the PS2's power to the limits with his visuals and the story can become overwhelming. Bisexual, immortal vampires, a Fatman on rollerskates who loves explosives, a woman wielding a rail gun bigger than herself and can't be hit by bullets. just to mention a few crazy things coming out of this brilliant game. As long asfelt like this game was just made for me. Kojima pushes the limits of the PS2's power to the limits with his visuals and the story can become overwhelming. Bisexual, immortal vampires, a Fatman on rollerskates who loves explosives, a woman wielding a rail gun bigger than herself and can't be hit by bullets. just to mention a few crazy things coming out of this brilliant game. As long as you don't go in expecting a realistic espionage spy type game, should be fun Expand
  3. May 22, 2016
    ¿Verdad que es un deseo nuestro? Las historias que se pierden y van por las mareas del tiempo.
    Se ve y siente ridículo pero es una emoción humana. Somos productos de nuestro tiempo y pocos de nosotros podremos salir de esa casilla pero cuanto vandra la pena si eso implica sacrificar nuestra felicidad.
    Esta entrega explora preguntas y pensamientos similares con mucho más detalle que la vez pasada.
    Pero antes de dejar que mi corazón se siga moviendo iré al punto por el cuál me leéis. Si te emocionan los personajes profundos y bien construidos, una historia emociante e intrigante y una excelente banda sonara este es tu juego, sin mencionar todavía el diseño artístico. Pero me temo que es así sólo ante los ojos pocos.
  4. Apr 14, 2016
    The plot was really weird. The first MGS has better plot and level wise. I liked robbing the guards. Thats all i remmember being truly fun. The end was total **** i was bored and tired of the gameplay. I wish the sword was used earlier.
  5. Mar 26, 2016
    Mind blow! It starts as a "normal" spy game, but turns out to be a deep story, mind-blowing masterpiece! Everything in this game surprises me, with the characters, the story and the dialogue. I thought the game didn't have any more surprises when I was close to the end, but I couldn't be more wrong. This is probably the best ending of a game I've ever experienced. A really good experienceMind blow! It starts as a "normal" spy game, but turns out to be a deep story, mind-blowing masterpiece! Everything in this game surprises me, with the characters, the story and the dialogue. I thought the game didn't have any more surprises when I was close to the end, but I couldn't be more wrong. This is probably the best ending of a game I've ever experienced. A really good experience from start to end!

As you can expect from an old game, the gameplay in the game might not be the best, with a bit weird controls. It's a really hard game for that matter because I felt like I had to play around the controls, so to speak, angle myself and be prepared for much more instead of just aiming and shooting. Some boss battles forced me to stand in a certain position and try to aim where I knew he/she would stand (I might just be bad at the game). I also felt that the tutorial was a bit uninformative in some cases, but it was easy to figure it out when trying out different ideas (like the cockroaches). I also had problems with the Emma sequence, where the thermal vision didn't show anything and I had to shot and guess.

The boss battles in the game were really enjoyable! I actually preferred them over the ones in the first game. They are more challenging and interesting than the previous game. Except from the negative, this game is in my opinion a masterpiece.
  6. Jan 29, 2016
    Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons Of Liberty is a very mixed bag if there ever was one, first of all,lets talk about the gameplay. The gameplay and graphics have been massively improved from MGS1, no longer awkwardly pixelated character models, instead fully relying on detailed clothing and facial structures. The gameplay is more or less the same with a few tweaks, the inventory system still usesMetal Gear Solid 2 Sons Of Liberty is a very mixed bag if there ever was one, first of all,lets talk about the gameplay. The gameplay and graphics have been massively improved from MGS1, no longer awkwardly pixelated character models, instead fully relying on detailed clothing and facial structures. The gameplay is more or less the same with a few tweaks, the inventory system still uses the left and right triggers to function, but if a guard sees you, then you have a limited amount of time to take them out before they call for help, making it easier for you to make up for some foolish decisions. there is now a first person mode for firearms, allowing you to aim accurately with your weapons. Now, lets move on to the story, Sons Of Liberty takes place 2 years after the shadow Moses incident, where info of a design of the Metal Gear Ray has been leaked into the public, and now every PMC, the Navy, Military, Air Force, and marines has their own version of Metal Gear that they have developed or are developing. Solid Snake and Otacon devise a plan to get info of a metal gear variant that the U.S Marines have developed, and leak it to the internet. So Snake jumps aboard with Otacon on codec, and Snake infiltrates the tanker where the new Metal Gear is being held. Snake gets the pictures he needs and is just about to skedaddle, when Revolver Ocelot arrives and shoots up the marines and sets a timer of explosives rigged to the tanker, suddenly Liquid Snake takes control of Ocelots body for a minute and talks to Snake, before Revolver takes control of his body again, pilots the Marines new Metal Gear, called Ray and escapes , while the tanker gets blown to smithereens. 2 years later, the site where the tanker sunk has been built into a environmental facility to take care of the oil that spilled when the tanker sunk. A terrorist group called The Sons Of Liberty , whose leader claims to be the long lost Solid Snake, who was thought to have been killed during the Tanker incident. The Sons Of Liberty demand 30 billion dollars in cash or they will blow up the Big Shell, causing a global environmental disaster. so Sna- no, Raiden jumps in to steal Solid Snakes spotlight for the rest of the game, probably the biggest bait- and-switch of all time. Now I don't want to spoil what happens on the Big Shell, because i think you should experience it for yourself, but i will say that near the end of the game, you'll have trouble figuring out what the hell is going on. apart from that, MGS2 is a game worthy of the 30 dollar price tag and i would recommend you picking this one up. Expand
  7. Jan 8, 2016
    Raiden, something happened to me last Thursday while I was driving home. I had a couple miles to go... suddenly, I saw a glowing orange object in the sky, to the east! It was moving very irregularly. Suddenly, there was intense light all around. And when I came to, I was home. What do you think happened to me?
  8. Dec 27, 2015
    Great game. I prefer MGS 1 and MGS 3 but this one is still excellent. Not crazy about the voices of some characters and some musical choices. Solid scenario, visuals, and gameplay.
  9. Nov 22, 2015
    If Metal Gear Solid was the first modern video game, then Metal Gear Solid 2 was absolutely the first post-modern video game. After such lofty expectations were placed on director Hideo Kojima after MGS1, instead of pandering to fans expectations Kojima created what is often cited as one of video gaming's most intelligent and self aware games ever created.
    Two years after the Shadow Moses
    Two years after the Shadow Moses incident Solid Snake has been tipped off about the U.S military possessing a new Metal Gear as a nuclear deterrent, Metal Gear RAY. As such he infiltrates a navy vessel in search of this new Metal Gear, though what he finds is correct, he is ambushed by the only surviving member of FOXHOUND, Ocelot. Having lost his arm in MGS1, Ocelot has grafted Liquid Snake's on in replacement and is now under the influence of Liquid. As a result Snake is killed when Liquid Ocelot activates Metal Gear RAY.
    Two years later, rookie Raiden is sent in to the Big Shell tanker which is has been captured by terrorists claiming to have nuclear weapons, lead by Liquid Ocelot. What follows is one of the most mind bending and simply unforgettable deconstructions of video games as we know it. Oh an a pretty great game too.
    It plays almost identically to the original Metal Gear Solid, the graphics at the time pushed the PS2 to breaking point and is arguably one of the systems finest looking games.
    The true beauty of Metal Gear Solid 2 lies in it's story, one that will throw every conceivable plot twist at you as well as the rulebook for what video games can and can't do. It's a once in a lifetime experience.
  10. Nov 5, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The best action game ever made, and takes my pick as the second best game ever made behind Final Fantasy IX(their totally different, I know, but I have a wide range of tastes). I played this one before the first one, and came into it really biased, as I had only watched someone play the first one and thought it was stupid(I was wrong of course-the first one is great too). I had no idea how good the plot was, by looking at the back of the box I thought it was just infiltrating an oil tanker and the head boss would be like the captain or something silly......that was the worst judgement I ever made, as this games final cutscenes before the last battle are so epic, and you find out so much, everything is so cool! The biggest draw is having to play as Raiden, it would of worked if you were Snake the full game, he has similar objectives, with different boss battles and stuff. Although you wouldn't get to fight Fatman, who was the most fun boss fight and maybe the hardest. Another draw is Solidus is WAY to easy, at least on normal difficulty, after the 3 Metal Gears he seemed to easy and I only had to use one ration. The sneaking is genius, the scenes spectacular, the voice acting perfect, and the plot so good I almost think its true. Also the music is perfect, although there are only about 6 different tracks. The best scene is Snake and Otacon's handshake, one of the best moments in gaming. Genius. Buy it now, if you havent already. Expand
  11. Oct 7, 2015
    Okay before this review starts JUST BECAUSE SOLID SNAKE IS NOT THE MAIN CHARACTER DOESN'T MEAN IT'S THOSE PEOPLE ARE STUPID AND DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT MOVING ON. Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons Of Liberty is a **** fantastic and phenomenal game and probably the best in the series in terms of gameplay and perhaps story. As a fan of MG1, MG2, and the iconic MGS while people slam itOkay before this review starts JUST BECAUSE SOLID SNAKE IS NOT THE MAIN CHARACTER DOESN'T MEAN IT'S THOSE PEOPLE ARE STUPID AND DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE TALKING ABOUT MOVING ON. Metal Gear Solid 2:Sons Of Liberty is a **** fantastic and phenomenal game and probably the best in the series in terms of gameplay and perhaps story. As a fan of MG1, MG2, and the iconic MGS while people slam it for not having Solid Snake and hate Raiden the new main protagonist for looking like a girl just let that slide because Raiden is actually really interesting when you get into his backstory and see his sweet moves anywho you go on to infiltrate a place known as BIG SHELL which has been taken over by a terrorist group named DEAD CELL btw I should mention how "Creative" the names are it's almost funny at times. But gameplay, the music, the graphics, the Solid Snakes, the Raidens, the Metal Gears, everything is amazing for first time players of the game it should take about 15 hours or so unless you know the game like I did at one point then it should take you about 30 minutes excluding cutscences. But the camera is really hard to get used to for modern gamers or most people for that fact but I highly recommend you get the Metal Gear Legacy Collection for PS3 to stay true to Metal Gear tradition and once you buy that you have all canon metal gear games excluding Portable Ops, Rising, MGSV:GZ and MGS:TPP Expand
  12. Oct 7, 2015
    Continuing the legend with an addition of a very well written character, Metal Gear Solid 2 did not disappoint and it had very large shoes to fill. Have played all MSGS as they were released. Give this a play.
  13. Sep 20, 2015
    This game is an absolute masterpiece in every sense of the word. It brings you closer to the real life post-traumatic stress disorder and the plights of child soldiers; something the other MGS games never truly touch upon or explore in depth.

Raiden as a character brings nuanced and surprising depth to the narrative that is unmatched across all MGS games. This was the only time I felt MGS shuffled off its fantasy coil of nanomachines and outlandish pseudoscience and went dark and gritty ... real to its core. The gameplay is localized and doesn't deter the player away from the main narrative.

Everything, from design to plot to game mechanics, adds to the overall package. If you are a fan of MGS and miss out on this, then I would consider it a grave error. If you are a gamer and decide to skip this, then I would call it a terrible choice. And if you are an MGS fan and dislike it, then I will outright question your gaming aesthetics.

All in all, this is an experience to be felt and lived through a Magic Circle. Raiden's tale, for all intents and purposes, is the pinnacle of Kojima's craft and is meant to be experienced like an avid story reader and a zealous gamer.
  14. Sep 1, 2015
    This game is brilliant. It's just one of the best games not only among PS2 games but All-time. This game had the best graphics in 2001, had a very different gameplay than the previous Metal gear solid and this game is still fun to play even after a decade.
  15. Aug 24, 2015
    Great gameplay, great story, great soundtrack. An absolute masterpiece, one of the best games i've ever played and the greatest story twist to date. I keep playing this nowadays and I still find it amazing despite of being old.
  16. Jun 25, 2015
    Sequel to one of the best sellers on the PS1 comes the next giant leap in the series. Metal Gear Solid 2 did what most other games could not, it made the player question things they would've ignored if not asked, although the bait & switch with the main characters was not well recieved by some, it introduced Raiden in a necessary way so that he may become relevant in the future gamesSequel to one of the best sellers on the PS1 comes the next giant leap in the series. Metal Gear Solid 2 did what most other games could not, it made the player question things they would've ignored if not asked, although the bait & switch with the main characters was not well recieved by some, it introduced Raiden in a necessary way so that he may become relevant in the future games (Metal Gear Solid 4) Expand
  17. Jun 21, 2015
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty improves upon Metal Gear Solid in every way. Despite this, from a modern viewpoint, the gameplay is clunky and is sometimes frustrating, especially in certain boss fights. Though, it is still an excellent game and worth playing for numerous reasons. The plot in particular is excellent, with multiple twists and turns. 13 years later, MGS2 is a ride worth taking.
  18. May 28, 2015
    A Great sequel in terms of graphic's and gameplay but the plot could have been much better it was confusing and way too many cutscenes. plus playing as raiden wasn't as good as snakes gameplay
  19. May 11, 2015
    One of the best games on playstation 2. I do not have to say anything more. But i need to write one hundred and fifty characters. i think my score can describe it.
  20. May 2, 2015
    Excellent my favourite game in the series so far. I love the storyline and it kept me interested for hours. The gameplay was fantastic I loved the boss fights as they weren't too difficult but they still had a bit of a challenge to them. The soundtrack was exquisite and it easily made the story more empowering and it made every sad scene just a lot sad. The characters were great whilstExcellent my favourite game in the series so far. I love the storyline and it kept me interested for hours. The gameplay was fantastic I loved the boss fights as they weren't too difficult but they still had a bit of a challenge to them. The soundtrack was exquisite and it easily made the story more empowering and it made every sad scene just a lot sad. The characters were great whilst many could argue that Raiden was a disappointment as it was a step down from Solid Snake it didn't matter to me as it was in my opinion a secret way of showing Raiden as the player as it shows a clumsy character on his first mission with little to none experience just like the player who wouldn't have experience in a tactical espionage mission and its while i think of this it makes me like the character a lot more and it makes me respect Hideo Kojima a lot more. In conclusion I think it's a fantastic game and it is really worth the buy and after replaying it I can say this game is in my top ten video games. Expand
  21. Apr 21, 2015
    Hideo, just make films instead!

Several years after their release I finally started to dip my toe into the PS2 era Metal Gear games, and my initial feelings are mixed. I don't hold any particular reverence to this series, I did play the NES games but apparently those are a mix of rubbish ports and non-canon. My first impressions had me wondering what the fuss was about - the controls
    Hideo, just make films instead!

My first impressions had me wondering what the fuss was about - the controls are clunky, the fixed camera angles are a nuisance and movement is non-intuitive - crouching and hugging walls my main problem. The fixed camera angles mean when it's top down I can't see further than ten feet in front of me. There is a radar showing enemies and cones of vision, but I can only use that if I log in to a 'node', stealth is all well and good but goes out the window when I don't have complete control of my field of vision.

The story is compelling, but the gameplay didn't do it for me. The constant interruptions from codec and custcenes are frustrating, and I never actually felt that I was playing a game. Of the ten hours it took me to complete, I guess about three was actually myself controlling things, the rest was conversations, cutscenes, explanations and more exposition than anyone needed. At around the point in the game where we enter Arsenal Gear, I was really enjoying myself, but I realised it wasn't because of the gameplay.

An important game for sure, definitely influential, but I don't feel that it has anything to do with what goes on on-screen when the player is in control.
  22. Mar 20, 2015
    It's so funny to watch the bad reviews of someone. You need to make a review and thinkin of the time that he game was released.

This game was created 2001!!!! 2001!!!. I mean seriously, put me an overall game of that year and compared to this.....i remember the first time i play this it was 2004 or 2005, and i like the game so much, it was like "a good game for that years", but then

This game was created 2001!!!! 2001!!!.

I mean seriously, put me an overall game of that year and compared to this.....i remember the first time i play this it was 2004 or 2005, and i like the game so much, it was like "a good game for that years", but then i realised that this was one of the first PS2 games, and the first games was really so wack.

Look at the PES games, it was he same but with betters graphics compared to the PSOne, same for all the others saga, expect Metal gear and Grand Theft Auto the two games use the full-potential of the tech of the PS2 by that time.

This was the first GREAT game for the PS2, and i really need to put a 10 on this. Because, if i was playing this on 2001 it's obviously that i will be shocked. Look the youtube videos of the CES 1999 and 2000, the people can't believe it the amazing graphics.

The story was not the better compared with the others titles of the saga, but i really appreciate the work of Kojima to try to put a very complete history. With this game he says than this saga was based on the history more than the game, and that's how the real fans get it. Most of the people don't understand that, but i prefer to play this than watching a movie..Some people just seeing movies, others just play games, i prefer a large movie that i can feel like i'm the protagonist of that, and Kojima knows how to do it.
  23. Dec 10, 2014
    So what if this game has a confusing storyline. Maybe if you pay close enough attention you'd realise that how deep and an accurate description of society this game is. The gameplay and graphics have vastly improved and the main character is a perfect example of the average gamer. We are all effected and created by the memes of our society and this game nails it here. Ofcourse cod playersSo what if this game has a confusing storyline. Maybe if you pay close enough attention you'd realise that how deep and an accurate description of society this game is. The gameplay and graphics have vastly improved and the main character is a perfect example of the average gamer. We are all effected and created by the memes of our society and this game nails it here. Ofcourse cod players rating this game don't understand that. The game requires you to be technical not go in shooting everything in sight. The game's length also depends on the difficulty you play on on very easy it's between 4-5 hours with out cutscenes and as you go up to European extreme the game is over 14 hours. Overall this is one of the greatest games I have ever played. Expand
  24. Dec 10, 2014
    One of the most anticipated sequels of all time, "Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty" is bigger, and mostly better. Graphics and art design still looks amazing over 13 years later, very life like character animations, fantastic voice acting, wide cast of interesting characters and better stealth mechanics make "MGS2" the definition of a sequel done right. And after awhile, I learned toOne of the most anticipated sequels of all time, "Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty" is bigger, and mostly better. Graphics and art design still looks amazing over 13 years later, very life like character animations, fantastic voice acting, wide cast of interesting characters and better stealth mechanics make "MGS2" the definition of a sequel done right. And after awhile, I learned to appreciate the most over the top story I have ever experienced. Expand
  25. Nov 5, 2014
    I remember when this game first came out and all of us were like stunned by the details and the graphics, it's amazing what the series became. Anyways, sorry so back on point, this game is amazing. It's not overly long, but just right and it's sad at some parts and can be challenging if you want to make it that way. I beat it first then went back and tried doing mostly stealth kills whichI remember when this game first came out and all of us were like stunned by the details and the graphics, it's amazing what the series became. Anyways, sorry so back on point, this game is amazing. It's not overly long, but just right and it's sad at some parts and can be challenging if you want to make it that way. I beat it first then went back and tried doing mostly stealth kills which makes you learn to appreciate the game a lot more. This is definitely one of the best PS2 games of all times, and you should try it if you're able to find it. It's definitely worth time you put into it. Expand
  26. Oct 25, 2014
    Do I even have to say anything about this.It is in my top 5 best ps2 games of all time and it was easily the best game of 2001.Well done Konami and Hideo Kojima,you gave us one of the best games of all time !!!
  27. Sep 22, 2014
    Best game, would fap again. Yeah, boo **** hoo you're not snake, but it's still really fun. Nude run and final boss battle made it the most bestest MLG game ever.
  28. Aug 22, 2014
    Despite being not as big as mgs1 and making you play as raiden instead of snake. Mgs2 still does a lot of things right, it has simpler controls, it added new (and good) stealth mechanics. And the gameplay is way more accesoble for new players.
  29. Jul 16, 2014
    the gameplay is absolute bliss, the story although very complicated, is very interesting and a huge asset to the appeal of the game. there are a few things wrong though. I do wish you could play as snake, because raiden does get pretty annoying, but after a while once you get to learn more about his character, he doesn't end up being that bad, infact I like raiden. the plot sometimes feelsthe gameplay is absolute bliss, the story although very complicated, is very interesting and a huge asset to the appeal of the game. there are a few things wrong though. I do wish you could play as snake, because raiden does get pretty annoying, but after a while once you get to learn more about his character, he doesn't end up being that bad, infact I like raiden. the plot sometimes feels ridiculous because of all the twists and turns it takes throughout the entire game, but is still enjoyable and quite necessary to set the plot for future titles. I love this game, but I don't think its quite as good as the first game which I consider a perfect game, this one having a few problems which in reality are just popular nitpicks among players Expand
  30. Jul 6, 2014
    If you have a PS2 or PC (MGS2: Substance) buy this. Best game ever what I played. Good story, Good Characters... But the only problem the little hard control this problem after 10 minutes playing not hard.

#1 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001
#3 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2001

1. The environments are amazing, when on the deck of the tank the rain effects are extremely lifelike, along with rain drops hitting the ship and characters.
  2. As stunning and enjoyable as ever. You may feel foolish gripping the controller throughout a 40-minute cut scene, but MGS2 is something which must be experienced.
    MGS2 suffers in its story. I can't spoil it for you, but I can at least warn you to be prepared for a plot that frequently reaches levels of sheer absurdity.