9.3

1. Jul 24, 2011
    Snake Eater has my favorite storyline of any game ive ever played. I have never felt such a connecting to a story before. The gameplay is some of the best in gaming if not the best. A classic if there ever was one.
  2. Oct 21, 2012
    I've only ever played Nintendo games my entire life. They were simple with decent stories and great gameplay. Then I played Super Paper Mario, which made me realize how immersive a game could be and how connected a game could make you to a character. I listened to my friend's advice and got Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater(The 3D version, but I'm putting my review here). This game was a surprise. I'd heard the story in these games were boring and hard to follow, but this one was rather easy to understand. The characters like Eva and Sokolov were displayed very well and I felt for them like people. The gameplay works well for it and the boss battles were great, especially for shooter standards. I never minded the long cutscenes because they explained in great detail what was going on and further established my love for the characters(Even the optional Johnny). And just like any MGS game, it has one of the most satisfying endings I've ever seen. The game took 15 hours to complete, but those were some of the best hours I've spent playing a game. This game hasn't changed my opinions on gaming, other than proving that a game can have seem like a movie while excelling as a game. This game currently is in my Top Five Favorite Games and I don't see that changing any time soon. I recommend this game to anyone who enjoys a good story with a fair amount of plot twists. Expand
  3. Mar 9, 2013
    The healing and eating and the constantly changing of the camouflage are annoying and just disturbs the player. However the story is good and also the graphics are.
    Its a good game but i liked it predecessor more.
  4. Jul 24, 2011
    This game was brilliant and story wise is one of my favourite in the series. In this game players can watch past events as they shape the future of the series. For example players will be taking control of a new character and will watch the rise of Big Boss and how he became the legend. The game play is also greatly improved making it much more flexible and gives players more variety as they can carry a set of equipment and weapons of their own chossing. Expand
  5. Sep 23, 2010
    The origins of the enigmatic Big Boss are explained in this worthy part of the Metal Gear Solid series. Arguably the most complex and gripping game of 2004.
  6. Oct 3, 2010
    This was the weakest entry in this series but that is not really saying a bad thing, with it still being a great game when you compare it to others. I would definitely recommend this if you own a PS2 and want an amazing game for a low low price.
  7. Sep 7, 2012
    Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater is one of the best games ever made. The story is a prequel and follows Big Boss instead of the traditional main MGS character Solid Snake. Needless to say it has one of the deepest stories of any of the MGS games. Graphics and visuals were/are some of the best on the PS2. Voice acting is amazing. Sounds of the jungles and environment are great. Gameplay is incredibly fun and the game is addictive with tons of replay value wether be on a more challenging difficulty or that extra run to try to beat the game with complete stealth. Characters are great and very interesting. Nothing bad to say about this one. MGS3 will go down as one of the greatest video games in history and an absolute masterpiece by the mastermind Hideo Kojima. Expand
  8. Apr 20, 2012
    Smart, imaginative and exciting, Snake Eater surpasses MGS2 in almost every way. The game looks great, the environments are a nice change, the survival mechanics are implemented well and the cast of villains is among the best in any video game. The controls are also improved but still feel clunky and stiff. The story is entertaining but not as engaging as previous games in the series. Special appreciation has to go to the spectacular boss fights. Each one is brimming with creativity and will change how you view this old video game staple. Expand
  9. Apr 11, 2011
    Basically this one is totally different from the other MGS games is focused more in the survivalist way rather than an a urban zone. This installment is set on the jungle and the main protagonist is Big Boss (the original Snake or Naked Snake). I loved the game and is very entertaining the story ,the gameplay etc. You made it again Hideo Kojima
  10. Jun 13, 2011
    It's exceeded by its enhancement, Subsistence. But that doesn't take away from the fun I had before it. Pros: Excellent graphics and sound; greatly told, involving storyline; charismatic characters; variety of moves and weapons. Cons: Dated camera system and poor control; too much dialogue may turn off certain gamers.
  11. Jun 9, 2013
    A slight departure from the template laid down in the first two Metal Gear Solid games 'Snake Eater' takes place in a Russian jungle in 1964, a time before the enemy detecting radar had been invented. While there are still a number of tools available to help navigate through the maze of bad guys and other traps between you and your goal this change brings a whole new level of tension to the gameplay, no longer can you be certain of exactly where the enemies are.

The jungle itself also provides for a far more interesting setting than the difficult to navigate oil rig from the series previous entry. Not only is it aesthetically pleasing but it also has a real impact upon gameplay with your level of camouflage vital to remaining hidden. It is also possible to capture and eat the wildlife in order to restore health with injuries now affecting Snake's ability to run and aim accurately.

The games hand-to-hand fighting mechanics have also seen an overhaul with the introduction of the CQC system. This allows Snake to pull off a more complex set of combat moves and even tackle more than one enemy at once. Be warned however that getting spotted and outnumbered will still quickly get you killed!
    On the negative side there is still the odd camera issue to be found but the biggest problem, as with previous Metal Gear games, continues to be the quite frankly ludicrously long cut scenes (Some must exceed the half-hour mark!). If I wanted to watch a movie I’d have put one in the disc tray instead of the game disc and it would be certainly make more sense.

Other than this (rather important) issue however the Metal Gear Solid series continue to provide the best gameplay in its genre and Snake Eater is certainly worth adding to any collection.
  12. Jul 4, 2012
    This is definitely one of the best games ever created and it's my personal favorite Metal Gear Solid game. As most MGS fans know, each game in the series is unique, but none really compare to the brilliance that is Snake Eater. The gameplay at first glance may seem complex, but it's really easy to get used to and is easily modified to best fit your personal preference. The camera controls are wonderful and the visuals and style are incomparable to any other game out there. A lot of it is cheesy and may be ridiculed if seen in a film, but there's this sort of depth to the characters and story, plus many twists and turns that are impossible to predict and wonderful attention to detail that it easily can be considered one of the best video games in existence. It's literally the only game out there where I don't find the constant percentages and various statistics regarding Naked Snake's survival annoying. Going to the 'start menu' is actually fun. Healing Snake's wounds and changing camo to hide better in different areas never really feels like a chore and the parts where you get stuck always take some thought (it's not a game that you just mindlessly dawdle your way through). This is definitely a game worth any true gamer's time. Expand
  13. Jul 5, 2011
    stealth game.....i like this game ......especially when i fighting all the boss in this game.i always play this game when i bored...i have played mgs2,mgs3 and mgs4..all of them are the best!
  14. Nov 1, 2011
    This game does not cease to be interesting at any point. The 3rd installment in the Metal Gear Solid series is nothing to shy away from, instead try to go and buy it. Heres the jist of it. The campaign is very engaging and informative that will make you teary at points. Like Hideo Kojima wants, the gamer will be placed this time in Big Boss's body, the real Snake. The new system involving survival is original and adds on the Metal Gear Solid's array of well crafted ideals placed in a game. Overall, the game is magnificent and nothing short of greatness. Expand
  15. Nov 4, 2011
    I think this is the best storyline of any game I ever played and its simply the best game I ever played!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  16. Jun 23, 2012
    The mechanics may make the end game stumble a little bit, but the humor, story, character, and amazing world that Mr. Kojima has created is stunning, wonderful, and absolutely astoundingly incredible. One of the best games of all time in a series that stands as the culmination of phenomenal storytelling and incredibly unique mechanics. A classic.
  17. Mar 1, 2013
    After every Metal Gear Solid the game and story gets better. Whenever I play an MGS game I think that Kojima cannot outdo himself be he does and that is why MGS is so good. MGS 3 is the best story in the series so far. The game is so engaging and emotional. If you did not cry at the end of the game I don't think any movie or game can make you cry.
  18. Oct 15, 2012
    Es el mejor Metal Gear o por lo menos mi favorito. Desde los jefes finales, la historia, las inolvidables secuencias de video,los escenarios hasta el novedoso CQC, el camuflage o la supervivencia; todo contribuye a crear la mejor experiencia que se puede vivir como agente secreto.
    GRAFICOS:10 SONIDO: 8 DIVERSION:9 DURACION: 8
  19. Feb 24, 2012
    This is the best game i have ever played. It is definitely the best game in the metal gear series. Kojima could had made this his only game and would still appeal as the best game director.Snake Eater has the greatest story in a game I've ever played.The boss battles are the most memorable of any game. This is truly a Masterpiece.
  20. Feb 23, 2012
    mgs 3, just another classic. great graphics for an 04' game. cutting russian soldiers throats is very satisfying. mess around in the jungle killing animals and eating them, treating gunshot wounds and cuts. wild boss fights, alot of action. really enjoyed the camo system. answers questions about the previous metal gears, poses new ones. and its just incredible that snakes radio is indistrucable. 10/10 must play Expand
  21. Jul 30, 2012
    Snake Eater is easily one of my favourite games on the ps2. It's the third "solid" entry in a series famous for its convulted plot, bizarre characters and pretestuos philosophical preachings. Yet this game averts all of the above providing an immersive storyline with "solid" characters, clever level design and a balanced gameplay-cutscene ratio. In this game you play as "Naked snake" who will later be known as "big boss", whose main mission is to rescue the scientist Sokolov in russian field during the cold war. It's a novelization of the historical facts with the mgs usual twist. i won't spoil the game for you so enough with the plot. Since the setting as changed from a near-future to a not so distant past, the technology available to the player is different: no more ominscent-radars or codec or (dear lord) no nanomachines. Your avatar now has two energy bars: one is the usual health bar, once it reaches zero it's game over, but it refills with time; the other one is the "resistance" bar, it affects your precision, sight, resistence to damage etc... You can refill this bar with another addition:eating. In this game you can hunt animals in order to eat em or tossing them to enemies distracting them. Player-damage has changed also, you can cure your wounds by manually choosing the broken body part and using the appropriate medicine. It's way simpler to play than to explain so trust me it's not annoying. All this animal hunting and bone-healing is not done in a close structure like the big shell but most of the time Snake will wander through beautiful outdoors, with the occasional building popping in. These environments are all beautifully renderd, even though I'll admit that indoors are not as detailed as in previous entries, but that's the price to pay to this overall spectacle. The sense of immersion is helped by the beautiful and fitting music and background noises. Speaking of sounds, voice acting is superb, helping each cast member shine through the experience. In this game the characters are at worst bearable (which is much to say speaking of mgs) and at best memorable. In the end the game is great, fun to play and pleasant to watch, with a memorable plot, a must buy if you own a ps2. Expand
  22. Jun 9, 2012
    Not as good as MGS2, but a VERY close contender! As a longtime fan of the series, this is my second favorite entry if not tied with MGS2 in some aspects. I don't know what else to say aside from the fact that it's simply an amazing work of art. Yup, that's right, it's so good it's a work of art! Same with 1 and 2! I love Metal Gear!!
  23. May 27, 2012
    Game is one of the best games I've ever played! One of the best cinematic games as well! Masterpiece game! Better than a lot of movies!
  24. Jul 18, 2012
    MGS3 has my favorite storyline of any game ive ever played. I have never felt such a connecting to a story before. Kojima truly is amazing director and writer. This game has it all. Great characters, music, story, gameplay and boss fights.
  25. Aug 26, 2012
    This game is one of the greatest games ever made. I won't spoil the ending but it is one of the greatest endings to any game ever. The bosses are all very different from one another, while some have you running and gunning tactics, some require a stealth approach, hand to hand combat, or even your typical boss with a simple tactic to beating him. Some bosses even have unique ways to fight them such as food poisoning for example. The stealth game play is great. The camera stays behind you so you can actually see in front of you. Hunting for food is rewarding, and figuring out what food is best and how to use the jungle to your advantage is it's own reward. You can throw snakes at guards or even carefully toss them in a river or place them in front of a trap. Expand
  26. Oct 28, 2013
    One of the best games of PS2 (it's on my top 10), and alongside with MGS1 the best games of the series. The prequel of the Bipedal Tank nukes could'nt be more epic than MGS3.
  27. Dec 20, 2012
    One of the best experiences you will have in your life (and I
  28. Sep 7, 2013
    I recently watched my friend play the end of this game and it was the most painful thing i have ever witnessed. Not because of the game, just his pure apathy towards video games in general. Eva has rockin' and she unzips her jacket ALOT, so you can see massive cleavage. I wish her and Snake bumped uglies more often. Oh well, still a perfect game.
  29. Jun 15, 2013
    metal gear solid 3 is the best one in the series gameplay became the best in this one there is no radar which is better and made you think of how to play and continue in the game i loved the camouflage and healing system in the game the graphics are amazing and let me tell you that this game has the best ending i've ever seen so far the best story i've ever seen
  30. Apr 23, 2013
    I can tell the game is vastly improved on earlier MGSs, the environment, the camouflage system etc.etc. I really want to enjoy it, but the camera system just does not work or suit the game. Usually looking down from a bird's eye view, you can only see a small area of the environment, you can only pan the camera a little way and this is the most frustrating, decrepit part of the game. Everything is off the camera! Out of sight! and the only way to get some environmental awareness is to use the awkward first person view.

In previous titles this camera system was fine or acceptable and the reason it worked was because you had a radar/map, that gave you awareness of everything off the camera, making it less frustrating. In Snake Eater you don't have anything as useful as that and it's something Kojima failed to to spot or resolve to the games detriment.

But you know what, after getting spotted on multiple occasions due to the camera, I never finished Snake Eater. I got fed up, ditched it and bought 'Subsistence'. I can confirm that the game is awesome. With the full 3D camera movements I can actually see what's up ahead! And I can actually appreciate how attractive the game is! Dear lord! If only Kojima could have done this sooner. But sadly, the camera makes Snake Eater obsolete.
  31. Tonydannie
    Aug 7, 2005
    I loved this game!! Very challenging and the Boss fights are great. my favorite will have to be "The End" sniping fight. This game is with out a doubt the best yet in the metal gear solid series. The story is amazing and it makes better sense then "Sons Of Liberty" And the score is as good as any score in a film( granted it is a film composer's ). But it is as god if not better then the films this man has scored. Best game ever!!! Until Metal Gear Solid 4 of course. Collapse

When all is said and done, Snake Eater achieves what no other game can on such a level: complete immersion into an action-driven interactive movie.
  2. Is Metal Gear Solid 3 the best game of the year? Yes. Is Metal Gear Solid 3 the best in its series? No.
  3. There has never been, and will not be for a long time a more convincing and immersive game released.