8.5

1. Apr 24, 2011
    A enjoyable co-op or single player adventure game! Mortal Kombat fans and casual gamers will love this,any other who says this is not good must be really,really a big die hard street fighter fan!
  2. May 29, 2011
    Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks is a worthy addition to the MK series and is one game that the series needed for a long time. Whereas every other previous MK game was just a 1 on 1 fighting, MK: Shaolin Monks is an adventure style beat-em-up. This was something new for the franchise, and it was good. MK: Shaolin Monks takes place right after the events of MK1. It starts off with a brilliant cinematic of several MK characters fighting each other, and then you begin. There are two playable characters at the start - Liu Kang and Kung Lao. Though playing alone is fun, I think the essence of Shaolin Monks is to play it co-op with a friend or sibling. The gameplay is very good, the mechanics of fighting are some of the best in an MK game. If Mortal Kombat: Armageddon (another MK game for PS2) would've used the same style of fight mechanics and combos as MK: Shaolin Monks, it would've been a much better game. In addition to a huge variety of moves to use on the minions you can also perform fatalities right in the middle of a fight, which greatly spices up the gameplay. Throughout the game you'll get to visit all the classic MK stages and meet a lot of classic MK characters. The story is not bad. It's somewhat cheesy in places, but it's fun nevertheless. Finally once you complete the game you get to unlock two more characters to play as in the story mode - Scorpion and Sub-Zero. You will be surprised, because they do have a lot of their own moves and combos. Playing as them might be a bit harder however since their projectile attacks (spear and ice ball) deal a lot less damage than the projectile attacks of Kung Lao and Liu Kang. The slightly disappointing thing is that Sub-Zero and Scorpion only have 2-3 fatalities each, whilst Liu Kang and Kung Lao had about a dozen. There is a versus mode in the game too, but that one in my opinion is very weak as you only have 8 characters to play with. Overall a solid and very fun game, with plenty of challenges and lots of gore. The only reason why I am not giving it a 10 is because I thought the last boss was way too overpowered, which kind of ruined the experience for me. Not only is the last boss very hard, but there are also two other boss fights you engage in right before that one without getting a chance to save or replenish your health. It's hard on co-op, it's even harder if you play alone. Expand
  3. Sep 17, 2012
    I wrote a 4000 character review on how this game was amazing though I accidently clicked back on my mouse and am not going to write the review again >:( Anyway 9/10, I would recommend this to anyone as a coop game.

1. Despite there being a massive selection of attacks at your disposal, you won't use them, and after battling through your seventeenth batch of Oni bastards, you'll soon settle for the simplest and most effective means of disposal and trade any style for progress.
    It won’t win any game of the year awards, but for a piece of brainless action, you can’t really go wrong with Shaolin Monks.
    Shaolin Monks' replay value could use a jump-start or two from Raiden’s fingertips. Despite an arcade port of Mortal Kombat II and a two-player versus mode, there’s simply not enough "kontent" to justify a purchase for most.