NHL 2004 PlayStation 2

7.6

1. RobertO.
    Sep 13, 2003
    Huge improvment from 2003 Gameplay rocks, dynasty mode amazing.
  2. DaliborB.
    Sep 16, 2003
    Cant wait to play it.
  3. JimS.
    Nov 3, 2005
    Abosolutely amazing, addicting and fun...buy it!!!
    Sep 11, 2003
    Awesome.
  5. GregT.
    Sep 19, 2003
    I know a thing or two about sports video games. This one is among the best. Buy it. NOW!
  6. HenriH.
    Sep 23, 2003
    Jeah Its Very good because this game got Sm-Liiga!!!!!
  7. RCastro
    Sep 9, 2003
    Can't wait.
  8. MattW.
    Jan 26, 2008
    This game is awesome. Love using the R3 and the right analog stick to throw huge hits at players. It's tough to do, but if you do it right it's awesome. The passing will take some getting used to, and the AI is pretty challenging. The dynasty mode is sweet. Negotiating contracts, setting ticket prices, practices, upgrading, training rookies, and playoffs are just the tip of the This game is awesome. Love using the R3 and the right analog stick to throw huge hits at players. It's tough to do, but if you do it right it's awesome. The passing will take some getting used to, and the AI is pretty challenging. The dynasty mode is sweet. Negotiating contracts, setting ticket prices, practices, upgrading, training rookies, and playoffs are just the tip of the iceberg. Turn the commentary off if you get it. Highly recommended. Expand
  9. TylerS.
    Nov 24, 2003
    It's the best game ever.
  10. TravisC.
    Dec 5, 2003
    This game was better than i could imagine.
  11. JordanS.
    Sep 18, 2003
    Best dynasty ever. gameplay is still pretty good, but bruise control really seems to stick out to me.
  12. SergeiM.
    Sep 22, 2003
    THE BEST THERE IS!!!!!!!
  13. JormaT.
    Sep 22, 2003
    It's Great Game, with lot of hard hits. You got to love it.
  14. JonathanM.
    Sep 24, 2003
    So good new control realisme best game.
  15. Josh
    Dec 16, 2003
    This games rocks buy it you will love it.
  16. JaredM.
    Oct 12, 2003
    This game is the best of all the NHL games but not quite perfect. It needs better commentary. Gameplay is great and Dynasty Mode kicks A$$. I recomend this game above all other hockey games ever made. Online mode is probably my favorite feature to it. Now quit reading this and go buy it!
  17. OprahW.
    Jul 1, 2004
    It's addicting, fun, and its one of the best sports games ever. Its truly amazing.
  18. DanielD.
    Sep 23, 2003
    The game play has improved dramatically... and speaking from the stand point of playing hockey I really appreciate finally being able to move the puck where I want! Not where the player is pointed (watch Jagr for a game and you will know what I am saying!)... the AI is smarter and allows you to develope plays rather than just SHOOT/SCORE from the same place over and over. I think this The game play has improved dramatically... and speaking from the stand point of playing hockey I really appreciate finally being able to move the puck where I want! Not where the player is pointed (watch Jagr for a game and you will know what I am saying!)... the AI is smarter and allows you to develope plays rather than just SHOOT/SCORE from the same place over and over. I think this games is just a small step away from being perfect... just make the defensemen skate like defense and not wingers! (and a few more indorsements in the gear to choose for all the real players not just gamers) and a few small touches and it will be the grail... just as long as they don't try to go back to 3D 1st person again!!!! Worth Buying... if you want hockey... not NHL Hitz. Expand
  19. Andru
    Sep 23, 2003
    Gameplay: Excellent. Dynasty mode: Awesome. This would be a perfect game if not for one MAJOR oversight; During your season when one of your players is injured, you cannot see how long he'll be out. Very strange. Otherwise the best hockey game ever produced.
  20. MichelF.
    Nov 5, 2003
    I love this game. Yes, there's a bit too many hits, but that's my only gripe. It's a better game than NHL 2002 or 2003 (these two sucked). I don't know why everybody is raving about ESPN, I tried it and I thought NHL 2004 was more realistic and better graphic wise. Yes, you read right, NHL is more realistic. I hated the way the players moved in ESPN, way too fast and I love this game. Yes, there's a bit too many hits, but that's my only gripe. It's a better game than NHL 2002 or 2003 (these two sucked). I don't know why everybody is raving about ESPN, I tried it and I thought NHL 2004 was more realistic and better graphic wise. Yes, you read right, NHL is more realistic. I hated the way the players moved in ESPN, way too fast and it looked like they were floating on the ice, not skating. For my money, NHL 2004 is the best. Expand
  21. MikeB.
    Sep 23, 2003
    This game is the most realistic hockey game ever made. I love the dynasty mode, its a huge improvement on 2003. This game is stupid difficult though, and I hate the f*cking R3 button. Other than that I think this game is wicked.
  22. Jun 3, 2015
    I truly love this game, not just for nostalgia but it always was and is fun. The only downside I can think of is the goalies. Most of the time, they're fine, but they can be very HARD to score on. Very good game.
  23. Jul 9, 2016
    NHL 2004 introduced a plethora of new features. New leagues were added, these include the Finnish SM Liiga, German DEL and Swedish Elitserien. Don Taylor was replaced by Craig Simpson with Jim Hughson returning as a play by play commentator. The stick handling has been largely improved. The engine has seen a major overhaul as well.
  24. JeanP.
    Apr 20, 2004
    Drastic improvement over the prior years but could still be better. What there's too much of: Glass breaking, "bone-crushing hits," scoring, key players getting hurt during simulation, computer players getting caught 20 feet offsides, hooking. What I like: Dynasty Mode, (although a team will give you anyone for a draft pick), realistic skating, scoring on wrap arounds, computer play Drastic improvement over the prior years but could still be better. What there's too much of: Glass breaking, "bone-crushing hits," scoring, key players getting hurt during simulation, computer players getting caught 20 feet offsides, hooking. What I like: Dynasty Mode, (although a team will give you anyone for a draft pick), realistic skating, scoring on wrap arounds, computer play development. Overall it was good enough to consume my life for nearly 4 months. Expand
  25. ChrisA.
    Jan 4, 2004
    This game was great except for a few things all real hockey players icluding myself would fix. First the glass...i mean every hit doesn't break the glass! Or every other shot! Graphics were good except the faces on the NHL players. Didn't look anything like Chris Chelios or Joe Sakic! Also in Dynasty the SCORING WAS INSANE. You don't see 17-14 as a final in the NHL. O boy! This game was great except for a few things all real hockey players icluding myself would fix. First the glass...i mean every hit doesn't break the glass! Or every other shot! Graphics were good except the faces on the NHL players. Didn't look anything like Chris Chelios or Joe Sakic! Also in Dynasty the SCORING WAS INSANE. You don't see 17-14 as a final in the NHL. O boy! And after you have played three games in your season, most players have already scored 17 goals. There on the way to swipping away The Great One's records. Better than ESPN Hockey though...wait next year for hockey games. Expand

#41 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003

1. Does a fantastic job for the hardcore hockey fan with endless hours of play in Dynasty mode, but it can’t quite match the competition when it comes to delivery and mechanics... Despite its small faults, NHL 2004 is still one hell of a hockey game.
    Mimics the real thing more than ever and therefore the joys of the sport are found in big hits, near misses and brilliant scoring opportunities that barely miss lighting the lamp. If you can get over the fact that scoring is going to be reserved only for those that deserve it.
    Some of its ideas are brilliant innovations, some are wisely appropriated standards, and some just flop - but the overall result is fun, action-oriented, authentic hockey with a few troubling flaws.