Radiata Stories PlayStation 2

9.0

1. May 14, 2011
    This is one of the best RPGs out there. It's cute, immersive, energetic, beautiful, tragic, a true successor to Secret of Mana and the like. An there is always something to do.
  2. DanielN
    Dec 1, 2008
    I don't understand why most reviewers dave this game low reviews. It starts off slow, but really catches on later in the game. It is very long, but then most RPGs are. After all, the ability to have over 170 possible teamates at your disposal is something to be at awe at, especially since no character is the same in abilities. One part of the game that really catches on is the link I don't understand why most reviewers dave this game low reviews. It starts off slow, but really catches on later in the game. It is very long, but then most RPGs are. After all, the ability to have over 170 possible teamates at your disposal is something to be at awe at, especially since no character is the same in abilities. One part of the game that really catches on is the link ability. This ability will allow your allies to take on different formations with different effects that get even better during the duration of the game. That is why I give this game a 10, since most reviewers have little patience for games. Expand
  3. Jun 19, 2011
    This is the most pure and honest fun I have ever had with a game since the early days of Pokemon. The world is so rich and the characters are all interesting and different, and pretty much ALL recruit-able. I have 3 complaints - The beginning is kinda slow, there are some occasional glitches, and finally I just wanted this game to be longer so I could enjoy the world more. 2/3 of theseThis is the most pure and honest fun I have ever had with a game since the early days of Pokemon. The world is so rich and the characters are all interesting and different, and pretty much ALL recruit-able. I have 3 complaints - The beginning is kinda slow, there are some occasional glitches, and finally I just wanted this game to be longer so I could enjoy the world more. 2/3 of these complaints would be fixed in a good sequel, and the first one just takes some patience to reach to the amazingness of this underrated title. If you are tired of every game taking its-self way to seriously and just want to play a game centered around enjoying yourself in every possible way, you have no reason not to puck this up. Expand
  4. Jan 10, 2014
    I love this game, I need say nothing more. It is by far one of the greatest video games that I have played ever. I am not saying it is perfect by any means, but it stands out and says "Look at me **** and that is something I respect. The first thing I love it the sheer level of love that was put into this. I can literally just imagine the makers sitting at their desks and saying "Hey howI love this game, I need say nothing more. It is by far one of the greatest video games that I have played ever. I am not saying it is perfect by any means, but it stands out and says "Look at me **** and that is something I respect. The first thing I love it the sheer level of love that was put into this. I can literally just imagine the makers sitting at their desks and saying "Hey how about he pour our very souls into a game?" and this is that. I imagine I sound insane at this point but I honestly do not care what so ever. Sure the combat is a bit bland in a few ways, it lacks powers that you can personally use in the fights and although you can use commands to fix that it is a bit awkward since you have to pause and go through a list each time you do. I also admit that it is not overly well animated, but that is only if you go and compare the tech we have now to it, which only a twit would actually do when judging. The characters are unique and vast in numbers, and it makes you feel like you are just another character, not better than anyone, but along side them. It makes you feel like your character is part of something rather than leading the charge. You nearly never walk around and see a person without a name in the game, if a person is in the street that are a unique and specifically made part in the world, the exception to this being the castle I suppose. I also love the branching in it, not only being unique but also vastly altering in how things play out, though I prefer the human story line in all honesty. Overall I would put this game in my top ten favorites, being in it's own way deserving to become a classic, even if such is doubtful. Expand
  5. Matthew
    Jan 23, 2006
    having a blast with this game. it's been a long time since i had so much fun just running around and getting immersed in a game world. keeping me busy along with Dragon Quest VIII while waiting for Grandia III and Tales of Legendia.
  6. Furqan
    Jul 24, 2006
    Just like Grandia 3, Radiata is super immersive. Mere artstyle is enough to get you inside the world. It isn't cell-shaded, it isn't oil painting, it ain't CG, so what is it ? Square Enix gets all the salvos for making a 'pencil-coloured' texturing technique they boast in this entire game. The out-sides are shining with colours while the insides are like cut Just like Grandia 3, Radiata is super immersive. Mere artstyle is enough to get you inside the world. It isn't cell-shaded, it isn't oil painting, it ain't CG, so what is it ? Square Enix gets all the salvos for making a 'pencil-coloured' texturing technique they boast in this entire game. The out-sides are shining with colours while the insides are like cut through on card-board, pencil coloured and then placed into a video-game. The story, sounds and gameplay all sum up to be of utmost quality. A must have title on PS2! Collapse
  7. R@gnárockDaniel
    Dec 14, 2005
    This game is realy cool, i havent finished it yet but so far ithink it's realy cool.....i've been stuck at one place for about 3 fucking hours lol....i think it might be a glitch but over all i've realy enjoyed this game and think all RPG lovers should try it out.
  8. RebekahJ.
    Dec 4, 2005
    This game has wonderful graphics, charming characters, and a wonderful storyline. Hey, Who doesn't like dragons? Though there are some slow parts, and some of the missions have you getting completely lost, (On the Gonovitch's dilemma I went in the completely wrong tunnel and wasted an hour) it's bright characters and hilarious hero Jack Russel make up for that. Plus, you This game has wonderful graphics, charming characters, and a wonderful storyline. Hey, Who doesn't like dragons? Though there are some slow parts, and some of the missions have you getting completely lost, (On the Gonovitch's dilemma I went in the completely wrong tunnel and wasted an hour) it's bright characters and hilarious hero Jack Russel make up for that. Plus, you get to se the characters armor! In every rpg I have played, the characters looks never change inless you do something special. However, in radiata stories you can change Jack's looks by changing his armor. You even get to dress him up in a buisness suit and give him an umbrella for a weapon! Expand
  9. Yowlingkahoozie
    Aug 25, 2005
    The game has a solid story line but the fighting play gets dull after the five-hundredth battle.
  10. JaynonimousF.
    Aug 7, 2006
    Creative game and fun characters.
  11. KD
    Apr 19, 2007
    Has a slow start, but a charming story, high production values (including art direction, music and voice acting) and most importantly a living, breathing world full of unique characters with real lives, whom you can recruit. After playing this game, characters and cities in other games just feel hollow.
  12. Ecc
    Sep 15, 2005
    This is a very good game.
  13. StaticN.
    Jul 14, 2006
    I cannot remember the last time I have been so immeresed in a game. The ability to pick a fight with almost anyone in addition to the nature of the dialog and the feeling that you have truely entered into a different world makes this game one of the best examples of how something that could have been typical turned out to be something that is great.
  14. AshleyN
    Feb 22, 2008
    I think it was a very well-rounded game. The graphics may have been lacking in a sense of reality but were great for the style they were going for. I've played through it a number of times and still haven't become bored of it. The plot is good, the set-up is good and all in all it's just freaking fun to play.
  15. Jul 16, 2012
    Radiata Stories is a great game. It's filled with characters that take time to recruit and it allows for you to create two completely different stories depending on if you side with humans or non-humans. The story is very interesting and the entire game is a bit cartoony but in a good way. The battle system is also very enjoyable. Radiata Stories also has something that all good Tri-AceRadiata Stories is a great game. It's filled with characters that take time to recruit and it allows for you to create two completely different stories depending on if you side with humans or non-humans. The story is very interesting and the entire game is a bit cartoony but in a good way. The battle system is also very enjoyable. Radiata Stories also has something that all good Tri-Ace games have: It has an excellent bonus dungeon. Also the game has several funny shoutouts to other Tri-Ace titles (such as the Fayt armor). I would definitely recommend Radiata Stories. Expand
  16. Apr 26, 2014
    Radiata stories is one of the best RPG out there. It has originality and style. It is very unfortunate that the game didnt sold as much copies as the other series from square enix. The beginning might be a bit dull but then it gets super fun. Content wise its quiet big. There is a lot you can do within the game which includes recruiting for new members into your party. There are twoRadiata stories is one of the best RPG out there. It has originality and style. It is very unfortunate that the game didnt sold as much copies as the other series from square enix. The beginning might be a bit dull but then it gets super fun. Content wise its quiet big. There is a lot you can do within the game which includes recruiting for new members into your party. There are two separate path you can take within the game as well different races you can recruit to your team. It would be really nice to see a sequel for this game one day. Expand
  17. Aug 25, 2013
    Radiata Stories for the PlayStation 2 is an underrated gem. Although the game starts off slowly, it takes the time to introduce a wide variety of memorable characters each with distinct personalities. For its time, the game had a beautiful art style and an immersive world.

Each of the 175 recruitable characters for your party has their own back story detailed in Jack's friends list after they are recruited as well as their own set of unique skills, passive ability and stat progression. These characters have unique routines such as only appearing in a certain location such as a shop in a certain time frame.

The dialogue throughout the story doesn't shy away from being comedic which results in a charming main cast. Your first play-through will last around 30-40 hours which is disappointing because the game does such a great job presenting the story and characters that you don't want it to end. However, an enigmatic post-game dungeon increases the playtime by around 10 hours.

Combat is done real time as you control Jack while your three other characters have their own AI. Combat tactics can be assigned to your own liking. You can assign a certain party member to focus more on healing while others dish out maximum damage. Several different links are also present which are basically positional formations for your party. Have a single enemy to take down? Use the "box link" to surround your enemy from 4 corners to overwhelm it. The AI of your allies isn't perfect but it gets the job done.

If you want a classic, underlooked PlayStation 2 RPG with a charming cast, story, and depth in party customization, give Radiata Stories a chance.
  18. Mar 30, 2015
    Radiata Stories is a game made by Tri-Ace (the same people who made Star Ocean, Infinite Undiscovery, and Valkyrie Profile) that takes place in a land called Tottaus. The kingdom of Radiata rules just about every corner of this land and everybody is just so freaking happy all the time. Classic! That was my first impression... until I saw the opening cinematic. That scene alone made my jawRadiata Stories is a game made by Tri-Ace (the same people who made Star Ocean, Infinite Undiscovery, and Valkyrie Profile) that takes place in a land called Tottaus. The kingdom of Radiata rules just about every corner of this land and everybody is just so freaking happy all the time. Classic! That was my first impression... until I saw the opening cinematic. That scene alone made my jaw drop! It shows a story book opening up (like a Disney movie or something) and the pages flip through a bit and stop on one picture: a two headed Water Dragon towering over a lone knight named Sir Cairn Russel. Then with the turn of the next page comes the Dragon itself staring you right in the face with all four of its eyes as it breathes mist out its mouths. Then, the music begins to build up into a more suitable rhythm. It turns from a calm melody to a "fight to the death" kind of sound. Cairn is seen breathing heavily trying to catch his breath as he readies to attack the Dragon. You can see the fog forming under his nose and mouth. And as Cairn finally stands up and takes his sword, he stands ready. The Dragon then breathes in and fires a storm of razor icicles, but these are no match for Cairn, for he takes one wide-arcing swing of his sword and everything turns to mist. By this point you realize Cairn isn't messing around. His eyes glow crimson red, filled with determination and his brow furrowed with fearlessness and concentration. A gleam in his eye, Cairn rushes the Dragon and leaps into the air ready to strike a deathblow! The Dragon spews frigid ice from its right head at the ground right before Cairn leaps and spews a vortex of frost and freezing water from the left head directly at the knight. Cairn musters all of his power to pierce through the vortex and penetrate the Dragon's skull. He successfully slays the Dragon and the cutscene ends.

Pretty epic opening, but this game isn't just about looking good. It also has some humorous moments as well. Sixteen years after the events from the cinematic the player is shown a little house with two of Cairn's children. His daughter Adele is awake and ready to start her day and she looks at her father's portrait as he is seen standing next to a short and stout red haired man presumed to be a close friend. She whispers "The day has come for Jack to become a Knight and follow in your footsteps." Makes Jack sound like an awesome guy, right? Not even close. In comes Jack with a slouched posture, messy hair, backwards pajamas, eyes half open, and a somewhat careless attitude. His first question is "Hey, Sis. When's breakfast?" Apparently he forgot that today was really important. Adele proceeds to smack Jack and reminds him that today is the day he becomes a Knight. So they begin sparring for a bit and after that Adele gives Jack his father's sword, The Arbitrator. Now Jack is officially off to become a Knight just like Cairn.

Almost anyone you talk to in this game, human or non-human, is recruitable as a party member. The grand total of people you can have is 177! That's the most I've seen in any game! Even Chrono Cross can't top that. Now the only person you can upgrade with weapons and armor is Jack, but you can see these party members can hold their own in a fight. Recruiting these people isn't that easy. Some you can just talk to and they just hop right in. Other may require you to fight them, pay them, catch them doing something secret, or some of the best party members, like Elwen, require you to recruit tons of other people before they will join you.

Battles in this game are like your normal RPGs that let characters move around as opposed to standing there playing "swap licks" with each other. You can attack with combos, block, counter, charge, and even command other party members to attack a specific enemy or use a healing item or even support someone in need of help. The AI used for these members are phenomenal! They never do anything stupid to the player such as run away when they are critically needed. My favorite part of the battles is Linking. You take your entire four person party and make a formation and attack in this formation. Some help for surrounding the enemy, others help keep the party alive, and some are just insanely powerful! Attack Link, I just run in and attack one enemy with a swing of a weapon and the other three rush in and hit as hard as they can! Nothing stands in your way with the right Link.

Sadly, this only exists on the PS2 and I have never seen nor heard of any other ports for it. As for negative remarks, I can only think of a few problems with the plot. Exactly who is Elwen? What were the Fairy Wars? Which ending is the true ending? This game really deserves a sequel (or possibly a prequel) to help explain all of this.
  19. Apr 5, 2015
    By far one of my favorite RPGs I have ever played and it has earned its spot at #1 of my favorite games list. Why? Well because, it is original, beautiful, and very unique. It has a enormous amount of characters for you to recruit into your party, quirky and strange dialog for you to laugh at, and a unique battle system for its time. If you are tired of all of the new generic RPGs, please,By far one of my favorite RPGs I have ever played and it has earned its spot at #1 of my favorite games list. Why? Well because, it is original, beautiful, and very unique. It has a enormous amount of characters for you to recruit into your party, quirky and strange dialog for you to laugh at, and a unique battle system for its time. If you are tired of all of the new generic RPGs, please, I urge you to give this game a shot. It will keep you laughing and questioning everything throughout the entire game. It is a shame that it wasn't more popular than it is. I hope that it will be redone one day and be improved upon so that even more people can enjoy its beauty and uniqueness as I did. If you are one the fence about buying the game, Just do it, and I am sure you wont regret it! Expand

#47 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#27 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

1. Weekly Famitsu
    8 / 9 / 9 / 10 - 36 platinum [Jan 2005]
  2. Play Magazine
    If you manage to stay the course and get past Radiata Stories' early rough spots, you'll find an engaging adventure beneath the goofy exterior. [Sept 2005, p.54]
  3. I'll take a well-meaning comedy with a few mishaps over standard RPG melodrama. [Oct 2005, p.103]