Red Faction PlayStation 2

8.0

1. KyleK.
    Nov 23, 2003
    I thought this game was going to be a really good game i was wrong. well not in the multiplayer cause you have hours of fun on that. But a hage let down was the graphics, disgusted compared to red faction 2 and a very lifeless story mode.
  2. TylerD.
    Mar 27, 2003
    Good game. Fun to blast through walls in 2 player mode. Although single player mode can often become confusing and fusterating if stuck.
  3. MattG.
    Dec 1, 2002
    Great graphics and single player, but sometimes the action gets a bit over the top. Capture the flag mode sucks.
  4. AnonymousMC
    Sep 8, 2006
    The A.I. was pretty bad, and aside from the destructible enviroment stuff, it kind of came off as a game that really wanted to be Half-Life to me. Nonetheless, it was quite good , and all the idiots who give it a bad review for dated graphics (THIS GAME IS NOT NEW) provide some entertainment.
  5. KyleM.
    Jul 20, 2001
    Sure it looks good, but don't they all? The real downfall of this game is the Two Player mode, which is the worst I've ever seen. What's the point of a FPS if you can't play against a friend?
  6. BenN.
    Jun 11, 2003
    Some good ideas.
  7. ZiggyStardust
    May 11, 2002
    The graphics aren't very impressive. it reminds me of halflife on the pc in style and quality. not terrible, just dated looking. this game should actually be called halflife - the expansion pack. i sorta regret buying it.
  8. AlexB.
    Apr 18, 2003
    The graphics in this game are ugly. It's unpleasantly linear. The story is appallingly bad. Who cares if you can blow up walls if everything behind them is basically what you've already done? There are better FPS games out there! (Deus Ex)
  9. Nov 10, 2011
    Red Faction was great back in the day, but now is beginning to show it's age with blocky and blurry character models, a rather unpredictable method of firing (as in bullets can fire all over the place and not hit once at blank range!) and a laughable plot and in-game cutscenes.Not to say that the game is not fun play now. I've completed it 3 times now and I can still have a blast playingRed Faction was great back in the day, but now is beginning to show it's age with blocky and blurry character models, a rather unpredictable method of firing (as in bullets can fire all over the place and not hit once at blank range!) and a laughable plot and in-game cutscenes.Not to say that the game is not fun play now. I've completed it 3 times now and I can still have a blast playing though it again. The geo-mod engine, although ground-breaking is not implemented all that well in RF. I would have been fun to experiment with it, having scenarios that evolve around destroying buildings or walls to find a path. but the G-mod tech is only really used nicely during the 1st part of the game. after that, the game only starts to fall apart.

There is a certain point in the game where you start fighting a new type of enemy, mercs. This is the worst part of the game because mercs are equipped with powerful weapons, most notably the rail driver which can penetrate through walls and cause instant death. and seeing that the AI in RF tend to fire IMMEDIATELY as you enter their view, more than a few frustrating deaths are to be expected.

The game's soundtrack is low-budget, but surprisingly ambient, at least during the first half of the game, and the voice acting is ridiculous, but funny (case-in-point "DIE, CAEPEK!!!"). I find this game to be so bad, it's actually really good! everything from graphics to story points my instincts to say that the games crap, but I have fun playing it regardless of whats wrong with it. so take my opinion for what it's worth. if you are tolerant with games, you'll find a great game.

#19 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001

1. GamePower
    For all of its strong design and competent game play, however, Red Faction still never quite adds up to the "Half-Life" it aspires to be.
  2. Totally immersing from the start, never letting up and always lashed with the sort of extreme violence that we’ve always wanted.
  3. While the controls leave much to be desired, this is one of the few must-owns for any Playstation 2 owner.