Red Faction PlayStation 2

8.0

1. DanH.
    Aug 8, 2001
    This game is cool. The two player version is the best.
  2. MattG.
    Dec 1, 2002
    Great graphics and single player, but sometimes the action gets a bit over the top. Capture the flag mode sucks.
  3. JamieE.
    Aug 10, 2003
    This is a top-notch game. The graphics are good, the storyline is very deep, the multiplayer mode is very hectic & fun and the geo-mod is bound to be the future of FPS games. The only downfall may be the length... but it's a great all-round game.
  4. JohnR.
    Jul 24, 2001
    I think this is one of the best FPS games I have ever played. You can blow all kinds of sh** up.
  5. V.Tek
    Sep 7, 2001
    Now this is an Amazing game...lots of gun action..interactive enviroments which they took advantage of...and the story line was interesting...after about 5 minutes of game play, the next thing I knew it was 30 hours later and the bags under my eyes were so big I thought I had went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson himself...Overall, very addicting game, although it would have been nicer if multi Now this is an Amazing game...lots of gun action..interactive enviroments which they took advantage of...and the story line was interesting...after about 5 minutes of game play, the next thing I knew it was 30 hours later and the bags under my eyes were so big I thought I had went 10 rounds with Mike Tyson himself...Overall, very addicting game, although it would have been nicer if multi would have been more PS2 friendly. And about another 30 hours more game play would have made this game PS2's best creation. Expand
  6. V.Tek
    Sep 7, 2001
  7. HarryR.
    Sep 9, 2002
    I think that the geo mod techolgy is great i would recomend it to friends its a brilliant.
  8. TADA
    Jun 10, 2003
    Any better than it is and the game would not be allowed to be played! The Geo-mod engine adds for some awesome gameplay, and the railgun's ability to shoot through walls means that my brother's character has slumped down in a heap-with me the cause. I reckon that Elusive possum should pull his head out os his arse-he could get a better view then maybe.
  9. MaxB.
    Jun 7, 2005
    Seriously who ever thinks its crap or boring is stupid, this game has such an amazing atmosphere sure there always gunna be better graphics and multi-player but you cant buy or put money into atmosphere seriously i felt so involved with the game felt like i was there, maybe i love it so much because it reminds me of the film "total recall" which i love but my number 1 game of all time evenSeriously who ever thinks its crap or boring is stupid, this game has such an amazing atmosphere sure there always gunna be better graphics and multi-player but you cant buy or put money into atmosphere seriously i felt so involved with the game felt like i was there, maybe i love it so much because it reminds me of the film "total recall" which i love but my number 1 game of all time even beating the crap new san andreas. Expand
  10. JustinS.
    Aug 3, 2005
    Red Faction is so much fun that it beats out lot's of today's shooters.
  11. AnonymousMC
    Sep 8, 2006
    The A.I. was pretty bad, and aside from the destructible enviroment stuff, it kind of came off as a game that really wanted to be Half-Life to me. Nonetheless, it was quite good , and all the idiots who give it a bad review for dated graphics (THIS GAME IS NOT NEW) provide some entertainment.
  12. TheElusivePossom
    Feb 16, 2007
    Well "TA DA", you should know that my arse happens to be a place that many wish to inhabit, and you would be lucky to grace it with your head. I on the other hand will keep well away from your arse, which is where I suggest you shove your crappy game, you Sony Fanboy! Red Faction? More like Red Crap-tion.
  13. JeremyB.
    Oct 19, 2001
    Great game with good weapons, graphics, and a good story plot.
  14. TimW.
    Jun 20, 2001
    I think this is the best game ever made, the graphics, story, the challenges and everything between: you never know what's next. And of course the best part is the GUNS baby!!
  15. KyleM.
    Jul 20, 2001
    Sure it looks good, but don't they all? The real downfall of this game is the Two Player mode, which is the worst I've ever seen. What's the point of a FPS if you can't play against a friend?
  16. CreepingDeath
    Aug 26, 2001
    Everything about this game is awesome. The gameplay rules, graphics are top notch, and the way you can interact with the scenery is great!
  17. Borgy
    Jul 4, 2002
    RULZ.
  18. KyleK.
    Nov 23, 2003
    I thought this game was going to be a really good game i was wrong. well not in the multiplayer cause you have hours of fun on that. But a hage let down was the graphics, disgusted compared to red faction 2 and a very lifeless story mode.
  19. TylerD.
    Mar 27, 2003
    Good game. Fun to blast through walls in 2 player mode. Although single player mode can often become confusing and fusterating if stuck.
  20. TheElusivePossom
    Apr 16, 2003
    If PS2 is supposed to be a next-gen concole, why does it continue to spew out games that would have looked bad on the NES? "Red Faction" is an example of such pixellated crap (the guns on the ground are pop-up bits of paper!). If you own a PS2 and you would prefer a DECENT FPS, sell the PS2 and get an N64 cheap with "Perfect Dark", or invest in "Timesplitters 2". There are world renowned If PS2 is supposed to be a next-gen concole, why does it continue to spew out games that would have looked bad on the NES? "Red Faction" is an example of such pixellated crap (the guns on the ground are pop-up bits of paper!). If you own a PS2 and you would prefer a DECENT FPS, sell the PS2 and get an N64 cheap with "Perfect Dark", or invest in "Timesplitters 2". There are world renowned for a reason... Expand
  21. BenN.
    Jun 11, 2003
    Some good ideas.
  22. BrendanM.
    Sep 4, 2004
    Loved the game! Great Geo-mod engine, abillity to talk to people, guard commentary, great weaponry (precision rifle being my fave), game never slows down (no matter how many explosions or bullets flying across the screen), entertaining bots... especially when on fire ;), superb ai on harder settings. Problems are... multiplayer leaves something to be considered, posters all over attract Loved the game! Great Geo-mod engine, abillity to talk to people, guard commentary, great weaponry (precision rifle being my fave), game never slows down (no matter how many explosions or bullets flying across the screen), entertaining bots... especially when on fire ;), superb ai on harder settings. Problems are... multiplayer leaves something to be considered, posters all over attract guards attention to you, can get very frustrating and, finally, no during-game cheats for professionals who feel that there could be something else in the game. Expand
  23. NickM.
    Aug 17, 2006
    this is one of the best games i've played.. its not a angry type game.
  24. RagnarB.
    Dec 20, 2001
    It's excellent. The geo-mod adds everything in a game that I ever wanted.
  25. JordanH.
    Dec 4, 2001
    I think this is the best title of middle 2001 and everyone should go buy it. I would rate it 11 of 10 but since you can only rate up to ten, I will do that. BEST GAME EVER!!
    Oct 25, 2001
    Great graphics.
  27. D.M.
    Aug 24, 2001
    Great game, loving the geo-mod. Only 2 players is pretty crap, but I don't own a multi-tap anyway. The guns are cool...hopefully the PC version will provide some good multi-player.
  28. D.M.
    Aug 24, 2001
  29. ZiggyStardust
    May 11, 2002
    The graphics aren't very impressive. it reminds me of halflife on the pc in style and quality. not terrible, just dated looking. this game should actually be called halflife - the expansion pack. i sorta regret buying it.
  30. AlexB.
    Apr 18, 2003
    The graphics in this game are ugly. It's unpleasantly linear. The story is appallingly bad. Who cares if you can blow up walls if everything behind them is basically what you've already done? There are better FPS games out there! (Deus Ex)
  31. AndrewJ.
    Jul 25, 2003
    Did I miss something here? After playing games like Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and the Thing, this game was a huge let-down. Terrible graphics and painfully boring.
  32. DanB.
    Jan 28, 2006
    Lots of fun. Still on of my favorite games. Its amazing you don't see more games using Geo-mod. Its the one thing that put this game over the top.
  33. JS
    Dec 16, 2009
    One of the best FPS games of all time. It set the stage for the modern controller use. Play Halo 1 and then this. You'll see why the Halo franchise changed their controls. Now every FPS out there uses this formula. Great vehicles, terrain destruction. Non-stop multiplayer action. The multiplayer bots had some impressive AI at times.
  34. Sep 1, 2011
    the first FPS game for a console that used duel analog controls that showed us what FPS games could do. now add in destructable enviroments , alot of cool guns , a decent story line and you have a pretty fun game . also had a death match bot system since this was before the Ps2 was online ready and it gave you more reason to play the game.
  35. May 12, 2011
    This is by far one of the greatest games on the PS2, the campaign is long and fun, and only gives you a few chances to catch your breath among the pulse quickening fights, it even mixes it up with some stealth missions, and the story backing it all is pretty good, but gets crazy some times, the graphics do show age as this is an old game, the voice acting and sound effects are awesome, theThis is by far one of the greatest games on the PS2, the campaign is long and fun, and only gives you a few chances to catch your breath among the pulse quickening fights, it even mixes it up with some stealth missions, and the story backing it all is pretty good, but gets crazy some times, the graphics do show age as this is an old game, the voice acting and sound effects are awesome, the multiplayer is ok with some friends, but it won't keep your attention long, my main complaints are that it has random load times you'll run into while playing that are pretty long, and that in order to save you have to hold down the buttons for a while in order for it to register and it takes a while to do that, as I said before this is one of the greatest games for the PS2 and can be picked up cheep, so if you still have a PS2, this is a game you should look for, it's great. Expand
  36. Nov 10, 2011
    Red Faction was great back in the day, but now is beginning to show it's age with blocky and blurry character models, a rather unpredictable method of firing (as in bullets can fire all over the place and not hit once at blank range!) and a laughable plot and in-game cutscenes.Not to say that the game is not fun play now. I've completed it 3 times now and I can still have a blast playingRed Faction was great back in the day, but now is beginning to show it's age with blocky and blurry character models, a rather unpredictable method of firing (as in bullets can fire all over the place and not hit once at blank range!) and a laughable plot and in-game cutscenes.Not to say that the game is not fun play now. I've completed it 3 times now and I can still have a blast playing though it again. The geo-mod engine, although ground-breaking is not implemented all that well in RF. I would have been fun to experiment with it, having scenarios that evolve around destroying buildings or walls to find a path. but the G-mod tech is only really used nicely during the 1st part of the game. after that, the game only starts to fall apart.

There is a certain point in the game where you start fighting a new type of enemy, mercs. This is the worst part of the game because mercs are equipped with powerful weapons, most notably the rail driver which can penetrate through walls and cause instant death. and seeing that the AI in RF tend to fire IMMEDIATELY as you enter their view, more than a few frustrating deaths are to be expected.

The game's soundtrack is low-budget, but surprisingly ambient, at least during the first half of the game, and the voice acting is ridiculous, but funny (case-in-point "DIE, CAEPEK!!!"). I find this game to be so bad, it's actually really good! everything from graphics to story points my instincts to say that the games crap, but I have fun playing it regardless of whats wrong with it. so take my opinion for what it's worth. if you are tolerant with games, you'll find a great game.
  37. May 31, 2014
    This game is great, especially for when it came out (that's important). The destructible environments were fun, the environments varied from bunkers to space stations, and the enemies are challenging even on normal difficulty. Anyone who says this game is not good isn't intelligent enough to factor in the age of the game.

#19 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2001

1. GamePower
    For all of its strong design and competent game play, however, Red Faction still never quite adds up to the "Half-Life" it aspires to be.
  2. Totally immersing from the start, never letting up and always lashed with the sort of extreme violence that we’ve always wanted.
  3. While the controls leave much to be desired, this is one of the few must-owns for any Playstation 2 owner.