8.9

1. Aug 16, 2016
    One of the best PS2 games. Atmosphere, graphics, sounds, is really good. Not like the old Resident Evil games are among my favorite games.To me, the Resident Evil series is the last good game. Other games really doesn't suit to the Resident Evil series.
  2. Jun 30, 2016
    i dont really think that 5000 letters are enough to describe how perfect this game is !! if you have the chance to get it, JUST DO IT !!!! best game ever 1000000000000000000000/10
  3. Jun 29, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Years after the destruction of Raccoon City,wiping out any living creature and the virus with it and Umbrella finally finished,Leon S Kennedy,now a goverment agent is assigned to find the missing daughter of the president of the United States,who has been aducted by an unknown occult,her whereabouts was unknown until one day it was mention she was in a rural part of Spain,thats where the game begins.

You're in a village,trying to find someone to ask for Ashleys whereabouts,where a man violently tries to kill you with his axes...there you have no choice but to eliminate him...soon you realise the whole village is against you. What happened there? What happen to the villagers? Why they act that way? Only for you to find out.

This is the first game where the camera is behind you back,the graphics looks really awesome in this game,better than Resident Evil Code Veronica,you should see the cutscenes how lively the characters are,Leon is more tougher and good looking,Ashley looks ok,secondary characters look awesome too. The location is in the more rural part of Spain,the village,the church,a castle,a mine,an island,a laboratory etc all of them look terrific. The fire looks really real so real that if you get close to it you can get hurt,you can rum in the water too and use a speedboat as transportation,be careful,not all water area is safe.

The controls plays as always but more intuitive,meaning that they don't move as if they are tanks,they move more like humans,you can run,climb,shoot, kick and hit enemies etc. The variety of weapons is enormous,most of them have this lasersights which can be more easy to aim at enemies which mostly you want to eliminate them shooting them in the head. The boss fights are hard sometimes mostly cause they really hard but sometimes you'll have to use the enviroment to your advantage to gain success in your battles.

Whats new here are the quick time event which during scenes you will have to stay alert cause you will never know when danger is near,when you do know you will have to press the buttons really fast otherwise its game over for you especially the Leon vs Krauser knife fight,believe me,i had to try a few times to get it all right.

In this game its the first time where you can buy and sell stuff thanks to the merchant you find throughout the game,when you find him you can buy new weapons,a bulletproof vest,upgrade weapons for them to be stronger and you can sell precious items you find,in some of them you have to do a little mixing to other items so that they can have more value.

Lets talk about the moment you find Ashley,well Ashley is a damsel in distress where you have to protect her from enemies,you can give her simple instructions like wait so you can investigate the area,once you see that its safe tell her to follow you and she will,also you can tell her to hide if that option is avaliable. You will have to keep her close to you cause enemies can take her and if the enemy that takes her to a door its game over...it will be game over if she suffers damages. Also a new item is the yellow herb,it cannot be use by its own but if its mixed with a green herb or a green and red together,your health will grow each and each time you use a mixed herb with the yellow one cause both Leon and Ashley starts with short health. Those herbs can be use for Ashley as well.

Once you complete the game,a mercenarie mode is avaliable where you fight against a horde of enemies,you can pick Leon,Ada,Krauser,Hunk and Wesker.

For the ps2 which is the version im reviewing,a new scenario is avaliable called Separate Ways where you play as Ada Wong,you will play in her perspective,her objection is to find a sample for evidence,i figure you guys know shes playing in both sides here. You play exactly like in Leons scenario but Adas is much shorter and more easier than Leons.

Well i guess its safe to say that this is one of the best Resident Evil game yet but its not my fav,its has better gameplay and better graphics than all of the previous Resident Evil but i enjoyed the story of Resident Evil 2 & 3, But this is a long Resident Evil game and its story is also very cool and easy to understand. If your a fan of Resident Evil game or even no fan,you'll definately will have alot of fun with this one,sure the zombies are gone and the scare factor is not as high as the previous ones but still its not going to stop you for having a blast with this one...and who knows? Maybe its a good thing. Good work Capcom,hats off to you :D
  4. May 22, 2016
    Este juego es de los pocos que pueden engancharte tanto sin apenas haberlo jugado. Es interesante ver cómo esto resulta ser. Sere por esta vez directo e iré al punto que les convoca.
    El que esté juego sea de terror no compromete la diversión que puedas pasar con el. Puede ser atemorizante pero te impulsa a seguir andando, explorando y recorriendo el mundo presentado. Tanto es así que el peso baja pero es compensado por todas las divertidas horas que llevaras jugando.
    Sin contar el diseño artístico, la banda sonora, la atmósfera y diversión obtenida de esta entrega este título definitivamente merece estar en vuestro repertorio.
  5. Apr 18, 2016
    Very good game . Excellent graphics for 2005 , best storyline in Resident Evil Games , Awesome Gameplay , Interesting opening level " The Village " . This is not Horror game but this game is fearful . Best Resident Evil Game , even better Resident Evil , Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 6 . Very Poor Nine of Ten .
  6. Apr 12, 2016
    Resident Evil 4 is a total masterpiece of the action-horror games genre.My favourite console game ever!Amazing graphics,awesome atmosphere,perfect story,nice gameplay.This game is addictive.It's worth every penny.
  7. Apr 11, 2016
  8. Mar 10, 2016
    Este jogo é incrível! Eu recebi e ainda não posso parar de jogar. Os gráficos são tão detalhadas para um game e é desafiador, mas divertido e terá que jogar por horas! A história é complexa e profundamente pensado. O melhor jogo que eu já joguei de forma
  9. Mar 8, 2016
    Melhor jogo na minha opinião para PS2, jogo brilhante mesmo, gráficos, jogabilidade ótima, a interação em si é o mais positivo, melhor da série disparado.... Zerei mais de 10 vezes
  10. Mar 1, 2016
    O Que dizer desse jogo? É simplesmente o melhor jogo que já joguei, sim é o melhor jogo que já joguei e olha que já joguei muitos jogos bons, realmente bons, mas Resident Evil 4 tem algo que nenhum outro jogo tem e acho que nunca terá: Rejogabilidade Verdadeira. O Game foi lançado em 2005 e até hoje eu jogo aqui no meu humilde PS2, faz mais de 10 anos e eu simplesmente não consigo meO Que dizer desse jogo? É simplesmente o melhor jogo que já joguei, sim é o melhor jogo que já joguei e olha que já joguei muitos jogos bons, realmente bons, mas Resident Evil 4 tem algo que nenhum outro jogo tem e acho que nunca terá: Rejogabilidade Verdadeira. O Game foi lançado em 2005 e até hoje eu jogo aqui no meu humilde PS2, faz mais de 10 anos e eu simplesmente não consigo me enjoar desse game, é simplesmente um jogo de outro mundo.

Sei que Resident Evil 4 é um game que foi e ainda é muito criticado pelos fãs da franquia Resident Evil pelo fato de que, diferente da trilogia clássica de PS1, RE4 não é um game de survival horror, mas sim um exímio jogo de ação. Ao meu ver não sei muito o que dizer sobre isso, é verdade que RE4 não é um jogo de horror mas também não é somente um jogo de ação, é muito mais do que isso. É um jogo inovador em todos os sentidos, uma verdadeira Obra-Prima. O game conta com gráficos excelentes, ambientações fantásticas e bem detalhadas, que variam desde Vilas espanholas, um majestoso Castelo e uma Ilha onde ocorrem diversos experimentos.

Mas além da qualidade nas ambientações do game, temos muitos outros fatores positivos em Resident Evil 4, como por exemplo: RE4 conta com personagens carismáticos e muito marcantes, como o Leon, o protagonista do game, que antes havia aparecido em Resident Evil 2 ao lado de Claire, temos também Ada Wong, que retorna com muita classe, com um papel muito importante na história. Temos também a adorável (ou para muitos, a terrível) Ashley, que é a filha do presidente dos EUA e que apesar de muitos considerarem ela irritante, ainda assim ela é um personagem muito marcante. Falando em filha do presidente, nosso objetivo principal é entregar ela para seu pai, por isso passamos por tantas encrencas durante o game. Outros pontos fortes para mim são os inimigos, música e sons durante nossa jogatina, que são espetaculares, cada um desses fatores, os inimigos em particular são o que fazem eu mais gostar do game e na minha opinião, TODOS os inimigos são marcantes.

Um fato que alguns fãs da franquia não gostaram em Resident Evil 4, foi a substituição dos zumbis pelos ganados, sim, RE4 não possui zumbis, nossos inimigos dessa vez são pessoas que possuem dentro de seus corpos o parasita conhecido como "Las Plagas" e o cara responsável por tudo isso é Osmund Saddler que vai criar muitos problemas para que Leon não complete sua missão... Continuando com os inimigos, há uma variedade muito grande deles, temos por exemplo o El Gigante, um gigante bem sinistro que aparece em diversas partes do game, apesar de forte seus ataques não são tão velozes, Temos também Garradores, criaturas cegas que "enxergam" através do som e apesar de terem uma blindagem em seu traje, existe um ponto fraco em suas costas, temos o Dr. Salvador que são ganados com um saco na cabeça e uma motosserra nas mãos que se chegar perto o suficiente, corta sua cabeça fora, nada demais... ou então, os Regenerators que são meus inimigos prediletos no game, não só por terem uma aparência amendrontadora, mas também pelos sons épicos e arrepiantes que eles produzem... Isso foram só alguns exemplos de inimigos, mas existe vários outros, incluindo boss fights claro, que são épicas por sinal, como nas batalhas contra U-3, Verdugo ou contra o veterano Krauser por exemplo.

Sei que já escrevi muito, mas se chegou até aqui saiba que estou quase acabando, mas acredite, eu falei muita coisa mas ainda não é tudo o que o game tem a oferecer, não é mesmo. Vou falar brevemente então agora da jogabilidade que para mim é o ponto em que Resident Evil 4 realmente se destacou e se tornou revolucionário. A jogabilidade de Resident Evil 4, apesar de limitada em certos pontos, é maravilhosamente viciante e única até o lançamento do game, digo isso pois ela é tão boa que muitos jogos aclamados pela crítica utilizam, quer exemplos? Temos jogos fantásticos como Gears of War, Dead Space e The Last of Us, ambos utilizam uma jogabilidade parecida e claramente inspirada na de RE4, com a câmera sobre o ombro e tal... Bom, acho que é isso mesmo, sei que falei bastante mas é que é um jogo que se destaca muito sobre todos os outros, claro que muitos podem não gostar, eu entendo, gosto é gosto. Mas na minha humilde opinião Resident Evil 4 é único e inigualável, é um jogo perfeito? Não, não é. Existem muitos bugs, é verdade, mas é um jogo tão majestoso que isso não faz a menor diferença na minha avaliação final, vale muito a pena jogar, como eu havia dito antes, o considero o melhor Jogo da História e para mim, ele não é digno de receber qualquer nota que seja diferente de 10.

Nota Final: 10/10 (Obra-Prima)
  11. Jan 4, 2016
    This game is bonkers! After playing RE5,6, or any of the other newer RE entries you will gain to appreciate RE4 a bit more. It's more action oriented than it's predecessors, but the series was already trying to head in that direction since RE2. The classic survival horror elements are mostly dismissed, but it's there (barely). The PS2 version adds new modes on top of a game with alreadyThis game is bonkers! After playing RE5,6, or any of the other newer RE entries you will gain to appreciate RE4 a bit more. It's more action oriented than it's predecessors, but the series was already trying to head in that direction since RE2. The classic survival horror elements are mostly dismissed, but it's there (barely). The PS2 version adds new modes on top of a game with already tremendous amount of replay value. Mercenaries mode is insane, challenging, and very rewarding! I know I put a unhealthy amount of hours into this game beating it to 100% completion. I don't know if I could go through it again...it's madness! Expand
  12. Dec 3, 2015
    Bem, este game foi estrondoso, seja mudando completamente a franquia Resident Evil ou se tornando uma revolução para os games da época. O fato é que RE4 foi um bos maiores e melhores games já feitos. O que dizer dos inimigos, chefes, ambientação, trilha sonora impecáveis?! Jamais irei esquecer o que passei ao jogar esta obra prima do Mikami. Seu fator raplay é demais. Passar o tempo,Bem, este game foi estrondoso, seja mudando completamente a franquia Resident Evil ou se tornando uma revolução para os games da época. O fato é que RE4 foi um bos maiores e melhores games já feitos. O que dizer dos inimigos, chefes, ambientação, trilha sonora impecáveis?! Jamais irei esquecer o que passei ao jogar esta obra prima do Mikami. Seu fator raplay é demais. Passar o tempo, caçando tesouros, upando as armas com o Merchant é fantástico. A jogabilidade é perfeita e dá uma ampla liberdade ao jogador. Os puzzles estão presentes e são muito bem feitos. Mesmo com um enredo relativamente fraco, não dá pra diminuir os méritos do game. Sua qualidade é indiscutível! Se ainda não jogou, procure RE4 o mais rápido possível, versões não faltam pra isso. Expand
  13. Nov 29, 2015
    Simply one of the best action games ever. It has incredible atmosphere and aesthetics, and delivers a frightening and intense experience. So much fun to play time and again; once you beat it, you just want to play it over again. The combat mechanics are amazing, the enemies are unique and varied, and the plot, while a little bizarre sometimes, is nonetheless engaging. One of the best, andSimply one of the best action games ever. It has incredible atmosphere and aesthetics, and delivers a frightening and intense experience. So much fun to play time and again; once you beat it, you just want to play it over again. The combat mechanics are amazing, the enemies are unique and varied, and the plot, while a little bizarre sometimes, is nonetheless engaging. One of the best, and a true milestone in the survival horror genre. Expand
  14. Oct 8, 2015
    I am usually not a big fun of FPS games, but I have to say, I love this game. This game reminds me of elegant old days, while gameplay is what matters.

+ The game is hard and challenging in a good way, you know you could do better next time, or check your suitcase come up with new strategy, or check the map to loot some treasures for cash, it forces you to explore the map, yet it is no way boring, I don't collect for trophy, I collect because I want to.

+ I love characters in this game, even Ashley. I think she is more realistic than Ellie.

+ The text in the game is very good, they offer you both information and some rest. I love it, first time I read every single text in a game.

- The control can be annoying sometimes, you can't move while aiming, that is fine, but you can't move while ready a knife, that is not cool, and the fact that you can't stun an enemy with your knife is also annoying while you get stun by every single hit from an enemy. You can't run while changing direction, what you actually do is stop, turn your face, then run again, it is annoying.

- QTE in this game is harsh as hell, actually is not Quick Time, it is super human reflex, it is really hard to perform a QTE unless you know you should perform a QTE, and the QTE button you have to push seems to be random. They even add QTE in cutscene, do you know how many times I put down the controller just realized there was a QTE so I picked up the controller yet didn't have the time to perform the QTE?

- Some enemies have way too many health, can be annoying if you don't upgrade your weapon correctly.

- Last boss doesn't have many phases, which is a let down, I was really hoping something more epic.

Overall, one of the best games I've ever played, give it some time to get used to the control you will love it.
  15. Oct 7, 2015
    My favorite Resident Evil game, and I've been a fan since day one too. Although the zombies have been replaced, the cunning and creepiness this gem brought to the table makes up for staying with old and familiar. Beautiful game.
  16. Oct 4, 2015
    Horas y horas de juego ( me lo pase 11 veces ), ESPECTACULAR ...el primer Resident Evil que jugué y lo considero estar en el top 5 de los mejores juegos de la play 2 . Se puede decir la única cosa negativa era la historia que era muy sencilla pero todo lo demás era música celestial en mis oídos . ! MORIR ES VIVIR !
  17. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is the best game of the ps2 consol. I was so addicted to it. The graphics are wonderful and brilliant. This is my all time favorite game. If you dont have it get it. Trust me it is worth it. Expand
  18. Sep 25, 2015
    This is the best game for ps2, that I have played. I've unlocked everything, worked the glitches, everything and it is still fun to play after all of that, speed running is great. You beat the game once and your unstoppable if you have the cash for your reward that is. That's the only detractor I see, but then beat pro mode, then you really have done something. Unlock ablest don't carryThis is the best game for ps2, that I have played. I've unlocked everything, worked the glitches, everything and it is still fun to play after all of that, speed running is great. You beat the game once and your unstoppable if you have the cash for your reward that is. That's the only detractor I see, but then beat pro mode, then you really have done something. Unlock ablest don't carry over difficulties btw. If you beat the mercenaries with max ratings in all of them you get 1 hit killer for everything but the multi stage fights. My other bone on this game is that it set the stage for RE5, which wasn't a bad game it just wasn't RE. Expand
  19. Sep 15, 2015
    One of the greatest games of all time. Although the PS2 version is the second most inferior version of the game (second only to the original PC port), it is still fundamentally the same game. As Resident Evil 4 has been ported countless times to various consoles, there is not excuse not to play it.
  20. Sep 1, 2015
    This one of my Favorite game of all time. This game had a new story, new gameplay, great graphics. The cutscenes were great . this Resident Evil wasn't like the previous ones. This was less Horror more action and more fun to play
  21. Aug 26, 2015
    Resident evil 4 is a masterpiece, the 2nd greatest game in the series. the graphics are stunning for the time, the cut scenes and voice acting are amazing. The game play is so much fun and very well paced. the game's level design is very similar to 2009's RE 5 but much more polished and more like the first 3 games in terms of style.A pretty long game with tons of extras and guns to tryResident evil 4 is a masterpiece, the 2nd greatest game in the series. the graphics are stunning for the time, the cut scenes and voice acting are amazing. The game play is so much fun and very well paced. the game's level design is very similar to 2009's RE 5 but much more polished and more like the first 3 games in terms of style.A pretty long game with tons of extras and guns to try keep the game long and fresh and never gets old.
    9.7/10
  22. Aug 3, 2015
    When reviewing RE4 there's really not many negatives to list which is why it's so high on most gamers lists. Many would claim this game marked the beginning of the ending for RE, but others like me say this is definitely one of the franchise's strongest points overall.
  23. Jun 5, 2015
    um dos melhores jogos que ja joguei, é o melhor desde re 2. O jogo pode não conter mais aquele terror como nos anteriores mas pra mim ainda é perfeito
  24. May 21, 2015
  25. Apr 2, 2015
    I was very happy to discover this game for my console back in 2006. It was one of the first games I did play on PS2. I love the whole franchise, but this game is something special. The first game I saw PS2 new features like button combinations during cutscenes and vibro-effects. I liked the game so much that I completed it more then 10 times during one year. The plot is also interesting.I was very happy to discover this game for my console back in 2006. It was one of the first games I did play on PS2. I love the whole franchise, but this game is something special. The first game I saw PS2 new features like button combinations during cutscenes and vibro-effects. I liked the game so much that I completed it more then 10 times during one year. The plot is also interesting. And the music - wow! A masterpiece! Expand
  26. Apr 1, 2015
    It’s a great game and I would enthusiastically recommend adding to your play list. It has seriously impressed me and it is a highlight of its time and genre.
  27. Feb 18, 2015
    THE BEST OF THE BEST AND WILL FOREVER REMAIN THE BEST! one day I shall dig up the PS2 AS I wasted $20 on the Xbox 360 version and the controls SUCK ON THE Xbox 360 Version! (Or I'm just not as calm as I was when RE4 for PS2 Released! LOL! anyways PS2 VERSION FOREVER! one day I will get into it again! I just realized that it was the 10th anniversary for RE4 Last Month! Brings heavyTHE BEST OF THE BEST AND WILL FOREVER REMAIN THE BEST! one day I shall dig up the PS2 AS I wasted $20 on the Xbox 360 version and the controls SUCK ON THE Xbox 360 Version! (Or I'm just not as calm as I was when RE4 for PS2 Released! LOL! anyways PS2 VERSION FOREVER! one day I will get into it again! I just realized that it was the 10th anniversary for RE4 Last Month! Brings heavy emotions knowing how old this game is! STILL AMAZING! Expand
  28. Feb 3, 2015
    Best RE game of all time in my opinion (just few step ahead from RE2). You must play this game.
    Survival horror evolved thanks to this game, the third person shooting system just just awesome.
    It brought a new experience to the survival horror games. The story is pretty interesting, the characters are wonderful developed, everyone is interesting and has an important role in the game.
    It brought a new experience to the survival horror games.
    The story is pretty interesting, the characters are wonderful developed, everyone is interesting and has an important role in the game. The atmosphere and the enemies design are top notched for the PS2 console. It's a classic which will live through the time. Few of the games I will score as 10.
  29. Dec 27, 2014
    i swear to god. this game looks like a xbox 360 game or ps3 game. and it was released for the ps2. this game changed resident evil. for the first time this has changed in a good way. but re5 and 6 were bad. i mean 5 was fine but 6 was awful.

re4 was my favorite ps2 game of all time. it didn't looked like a ps2 game. it looked like a xbox 360 game. awesome enemies like the chainsaw and the generators which were scary as **** sometimes hilarious jumpscares from snakes. great story and voice acting. amazing weapons and Quick Time events.
  30. Nov 9, 2014
    Assieme a Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots e a Kingdom Hearts II,questo è il miglior videogioco che io abbia mai giocato in tutta la mia vita.Il migliore.
  31. Nov 5, 2014
    This installment of Resident Evil changed a bit, and introduced more modern characters that move a lot faster, and it was a great update to a series that has been fantastic since Sega Genesis. This game does not disappoint and like all of the main Resident Evil's(Survivor not included) dominate the ratings. You'll enjoy this game until the very end. Also like all Resident Evil games,This installment of Resident Evil changed a bit, and introduced more modern characters that move a lot faster, and it was a great update to a series that has been fantastic since Sega Genesis. This game does not disappoint and like all of the main Resident Evil's(Survivor not included) dominate the ratings. You'll enjoy this game until the very end. Also like all Resident Evil games, expect to be spooked at some point or another, even myself which I rarely ever get spooked. Expand
  32. Oct 25, 2014
    Two words are going to explain this game:Intense and Amazing !!! Easily the best game of the franchise and my best game of 2005 with Gta:San Andreas for the PC.
  33. Oct 14, 2014
    my #1 game all the time Simply put, Resident Evil 4 is a landmark video game, no matter what system you play it on... Truly brilliant .............................................
  34. Sep 13, 2014
    LEva a serie a novos horizontes utilizando uma nova formula. Sendo criticado por fugir da formula classica da serie é visto com um certo pre conceito pelos fas da franquia, o que é um erro pois é um excelente jogo e bem desafiador quando jogado no hard e com um curioso mini game de tiro e o mercador misterioso que aparece em todos os lugares. Bola dentro da capcom.
  35. Aug 11, 2014
    This is THE best action/horror game I have ever played and one of my all time favorites.
    The feature that makes it so special and unique is it's brilliant and memorable atmosphere which makes you really identify with the main character. The switch between action/horror/relief/tension building is perfectly done and leaves you in awe. I still play and enjoy this game today, when the nostalgia feeling hits me.
  36. Jul 25, 2014
    Best Resident Evil. I've ended on the Wii, PS2, and Xbox 360 7 times. Leon is beast. Those kicks he does are really impressive. There are so many unforgettable characters even from the previous games. They really out done themselves.
  37. Jun 3, 2014
    Simply put, One of the best games EVER made. If u cant enjoy this, u seriously need help. To this date i enjoy the game EVERY **** time i play it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  38. May 18, 2014
    This may not be the greatest survival horror game in history but it is the hybrid of action and horror with a over the top shoulder camera angle for better accuracy for the first time in the history of the franchise. But the horror tension is mostly removed comparing it to the trilogy of pure horror; but it showed some of the best graphics of the year, a better camera angle despite theThis may not be the greatest survival horror game in history but it is the hybrid of action and horror with a over the top shoulder camera angle for better accuracy for the first time in the history of the franchise. But the horror tension is mostly removed comparing it to the trilogy of pure horror; but it showed some of the best graphics of the year, a better camera angle despite the lack of horror, customizable weapons, unique enemies and great acting. And you could choose limited ammunition if you don't customize your weapons making the game more difficult than usual. The downside of the game is ASHLEY because she is basically useless; so useless that LEON did not kiss on the end of the game. But overall the game was outstanding with it's improvements except for the survival horror aspect but it became one of my favorites action and horror themed game ever. Expand
  39. May 1, 2014
    This game is the best game in the series, besides that was the beginning of a gender change in Resident Evil. The gameplay is awesome and the graphics too, deserves perfect score.
  40. Apr 28, 2014
    This game is beyond amazing. I've replayed and beat this game over 20 times. This game is very scary and intense. With new game play mechanics we didn't see in the previous installments, it was such a surprise. Even though this game didn't offer the boring slow zombies, it did offer amazing and scary new enemies. Very happy I've played this game during my childhood.
  41. Mar 16, 2014
    When I picked this game up for the first time last week I thought "It can't be as good as people say." Well, I'll tell you I was surprised when I got into playing it. It has a very original combat system with shooting and it makes a more challenging game, it's not like some shooters on the PS2 where it auto-locks and all you have to do is press the shoot button. Don't get me wrong, it'sWhen I picked this game up for the first time last week I thought "It can't be as good as people say." Well, I'll tell you I was surprised when I got into playing it. It has a very original combat system with shooting and it makes a more challenging game, it's not like some shooters on the PS2 where it auto-locks and all you have to do is press the shoot button. Don't get me wrong, it's not a challenge because its broken. Its a challenge because when a villager is charging you, sometimes you cant line up the shot and have to pull your knife and brawl for your life. I also really like the inventory system, if you are OCD and want to make everything just right, you can spend almost hours combining, crafting, and sorting your inventory. The controls are simple and are easy to understand. It takes under a minute in the first part of the game to get everything down. The game-play mechanics will have you saving every last bullet so you don't run out (or maybe i'm just really bad at saving my ammo). I also liked, at the beginning, the scarcity of ammo for everything but your pistol, then making you fight hordes of villagers with a grenade, 6 shotgun shells, and 20 or so bullets in your pistol. Verdict: A must own for video game collectors, or anyone who owns a PS2. Expand
  42. Feb 27, 2014
    This game has virtually nothing wrong with it. From the moment I started playing it hooked on to me and never let go, the game in my opinion is a perfect blend of action and horror which has never been successfully replicated since. In my mind, it's a masterpiece.
  43. Feb 18, 2014
    Along with Silent Hill 2, this is THE Survival Horror game. It's amazing, innovative, scary. Controls are amazing, graphics are good. The only downside is probably "LEON! LEON!". But that is nothing compared to the rest of the game.
  44. Jan 7, 2014
    A game that change the traditional style of his ancestors, to make a game that had awkward cameras and clumsy controls to another completely different, clearly frame trend to another resident evils
  45. Dec 19, 2013
    One of the best horror, I will remember this game forever, she spent a lot of time, but Resident Evil 5 I like more, be sure to play this game if you have not played
  46. Nov 28, 2013
    This game is creepy. The first and the best the "new" Resident Evil game, you are taken to a cult village in Spain to rescue the presidents daughter. The more you discover about the cult and your various encounters with the villagers (who have parasites called Las Plagas in their head) make you nervous to play this game.i. 2004 these graphics were insane and still hold up today. Plus, goodThis game is creepy. The first and the best the "new" Resident Evil game, you are taken to a cult village in Spain to rescue the presidents daughter. The more you discover about the cult and your various encounters with the villagers (who have parasites called Las Plagas in their head) make you nervous to play this game.i. 2004 these graphics were insane and still hold up today. Plus, good voice acting in this franchise is a change and Leon actually sounds believable. The gameplay is smooth and precise, for example it is hard to get a direct shot without the gun moving because it takes in real life factors like breathing. Now people complain it lost its survival horror roots with this game (and I agree the series eventually did) but if you play that opening village scene without terror (especially when chainsaw man comes out) you are probably not human. So go on, prepared to get scared and return to a time of good Resident Evil games, and the only good Resident Evil game that has a good story, good gameplay, and good graphics. It's not the original GameCube version but in some aspects the PS2 version is better. So play it, just bring an extra pair of pants. Collapse
  47. Oct 11, 2013
    EN: Resident Evil 4 has some good improvements, looks awesome and plays awesome, but the story could be better. A solid 8 feels right.
    PT-BR: Resident Evil 4 apresenta algumas boas melhorias, tem aparência incrível e jogabilidade incrível, mas a história podia ser melhor. Um sólido 8 me parece correto.
  48. Oct 9, 2013
    An excellent combination of survival horror and third-person shooter action, RE4 delivers in all aspects of a near-perfect and engaging game. As others come and go, Resident Evil 4 will be remembered as a true classic.
  49. Sep 19, 2013
    Resident Evil 4 was the best game on the PS2. It's graphics were incredible. The replay-ability of RE4 is very high, due to the unlockables and New Game I loved the inventory, which let you hold a lot of items and let you organize them to your liking. There are a great deal of weapons you could buy, depending on your play style. Resident Evil 4 professional mode gives you a certainResident Evil 4 was the best game on the PS2. It's graphics were incredible. The replay-ability of RE4 is very high, due to the unlockables and New Game I loved the inventory, which let you hold a lot of items and let you organize them to your liking. There are a great deal of weapons you could buy, depending on your play style. Resident Evil 4 professional mode gives you a certain level of challenge without it being frustrating and unfair. With there now being HD releases on Xbox 360 and PS3, there is no reason not to own this wonderful game. Expand
  50. Aug 12, 2013
    This is the Resident Evil game that proved the franchise could be reinvented and reinvigorated without even having to needlessly throw zombies onto the screen. The new enemies were just as merciless, brutal, and horrible to face, and it worked well. Add in major adjustments to controls, camera, and the atmosphere- the moodier the better it seems, and you've got quite the winning formula.
  51. Jul 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the best game on all erath.I played in this game on ps2 pc xbox 360 and on pc again and again. this game have all of need great game graphic (on 2005) gameplay story and music Expand
  52. Jun 29, 2013
    i haven't played the previous resident evil games and i started with this one and i believe that this game mad the resident evil series what it is today cause this game is perfect in every thing survival horror yep you'll find that action yep you'll find that bad ass bosses and moments yes all that is in here with awesome controls and gameplay with a great story makes this game perfect
  53. Jun 26, 2013
    este juego,fue mi favorito con buena trama E historia,drama y accion,graficos buenisimos,muy buen juego merecible de un 10 y 100 para los criticos,yo lo recomiendo.
  54. Jun 17, 2013
    By far, the best game in the saga and one of the best games of the world. The story may be a bit... boring (let's keep it like that), but smashing zombie brains and fighting weird-looking monsters has never been that fun. It's just a masterpiece. It's such a shame that the series is not as good as this game due to RE:6 or RE: ORC (I should have imagined that it wouldn't be a good game whenBy far, the best game in the saga and one of the best games of the world. The story may be a bit... boring (let's keep it like that), but smashing zombie brains and fighting weird-looking monsters has never been that fun. It's just a masterpiece. It's such a shame that the series is not as good as this game due to RE:6 or RE: ORC (I should have imagined that it wouldn't be a good game when I saw the title's first letter.) Expand
  55. Jun 11, 2013
    One of the best PS2's era game ever. Wonderful game, spectacular visuals, amazing characters, great weapons and enemies, the scenarios are dark and gritty, something expected from a RE game.
  56. Jun 6, 2013
    It may possess the over the top bad dialogue and storytelling famous in RE, but this only serves to add to the games unique charm. The gameplay is really great, it's got lots of cool elements like the Attache system for limited storage and buying upgrades from a mysterious and hilarious "merchant" It is a scary game no doubt, when you encounter re-generators for example, a horrifyingIt may possess the over the top bad dialogue and storytelling famous in RE, but this only serves to add to the games unique charm. The gameplay is really great, it's got lots of cool elements like the Attache system for limited storage and buying upgrades from a mysterious and hilarious "merchant" It is a scary game no doubt, when you encounter re-generators for example, a horrifying nearly unkillable zombie you're likely to go into panic mode. The visual design is all top notch from the locations to the very detailed character models. It can go from very actiony over the top and fast paced to eery and unsettling in a matter of minutes. It's got lots of awesome unlockable modes and costumes/guns giving it great replayability. It's uniquely awesome Expand
  57. May 29, 2013
    Definitely the best RE game to exist! It's exciting, suspenseful, and scary as h**l! Just wish all the newer RE games wouldv'e followed the same formula this one had.
  58. May 11, 2013
    Simply best game ever!!! still playing this in 2013 and never get bored of playing. I think so new RE games and not as good as this game. Actually i have never counted how many times i have played this game. Its no 1 in my list
  59. May 8, 2013
    Capcom clearly was aiming in a wider public when they made Resident Evil 4.
    Its almost perfect blending of survival horror and action, packed with an addictive gameplay, great story and really beautiful visuals aren't enough to make it the best Resident Evil ever made, but even diehard fans of the series can enjoy it as much as the casual gamer will and i highly recommend it to both.
  60. May 5, 2013
    Simply Put- Resident Evil 4 is one of the greatest games ever made. This is a masterpiece. The tempo, the combat, the scares, the gameplay, hell even the story is cheezly good. This game is how action horror games should be made. The level of impact this game has had on the game industry- Gears of War, L4D, and every other over the should 3rd person shooter this gen. And the bossSimply Put- Resident Evil 4 is one of the greatest games ever made. This is a masterpiece. The tempo, the combat, the scares, the gameplay, hell even the story is cheezly good. This game is how action horror games should be made. The level of impact this game has had on the game industry- Gears of War, L4D, and every other over the should 3rd person shooter this gen. And the boss fights.... OMG. These fights are so amazing- Del Lago, El Gigante, Bella Sisters, Straddler, Verdugo and of course the greatest boss fight in the history of the series. The one. The only. Krauser. These moments are amazingly awesome. This game is amazingly awesome. Play it. Expand
  61. May 5, 2013
    Most of the ratings are definetly overrated. There are things which kill the fun in this game. One word: Ashley. She was so freakin annoying, I thought about quitting the game. The boss battles though are as good as always and the shoot mechanics smooth. Stable frames, good graphics for it´s time. Well, you think: Why a 8? Why not a 9? Because Ashley is SO DAMN ANNOYING SHE KILLS THE FUNMost of the ratings are definetly overrated. There are things which kill the fun in this game. One word: Ashley. She was so freakin annoying, I thought about quitting the game. The boss battles though are as good as always and the shoot mechanics smooth. Stable frames, good graphics for it´s time. Well, you think: Why a 8? Why not a 9? Because Ashley is SO DAMN ANNOYING SHE KILLS THE FUN FOR THE REST OF THE GAME! The Game Designers shot themselves with the shotgun in the knee. Also it´s not real Horror. The Survival Horror left Resident Evil with this game. So it´s one of the better Resi´s but it´s not quite that good. NEVER A 96! 85 is acceptable. Expand
  62. May 1, 2013
    Of all the games I have ever owned, this game has sucked the most hours out of me. Love this game and everybody should own it. Graphics, story, and gameplay are the best on the PS2.
  63. Apr 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. First off, I played through this game AT LEAST 5 times. I had just as much fun the first time as I did the fifth time.

Resident Evil 4 is not too horrifying, except one level towards the end. This is where you fight dark blue dagger-toothed monster things that cannot be killed, unless you shoot 3 of the parasites on their back. You can cripple them by shooting their legs off, but they regenerate and grow back. (Thus, the reason they are called regenerators.)

Enough rambling. The game as a whole has decent-okay combat. There are around 12-15 guns you can buy, not counting the unlockable ones that you can get after beating the game.

The small amount of people who gave this game poor reviews don't seem to have played the game before. There is, in fact other modes than story mode. Assignment Ada, and Missionaries. Missionaries is just a free-play mode where countless hordes of zombies are hurled at you until your chopper arrives. Pretty fun to do after you beat the game and don't feel like playing it again. Assignment Ada isn't that fun, to be frankly honest. Its just replaying a mission as a woman named Ada, except its 500 times harder. The story is pretty long, and there are multiple paths that you are able to take during the game.

The enemies you face consist of the generic zombie, (a spanish farmer that tries to kill you with pitchforks and knives.) cult group members, (pale people in black cloaks that try to strangle you), enemies with wolverine-like claws that have their eyes stitched shut, and scary-ass chainsaw men/women with bags over their heads. They actually might be scarier than the regnerators I talked about earier.

All in all, this is a GREAT game. I hope this review helped. :D
  64. Apr 17, 2013
    this is what a game should be like... re4 blew me away and continues to... the characters and storyline are completely addictive. overall one of the best games ive played
  65. Apr 8, 2013
    The game is flawless and very well made! i had so much fun playing it and is one of the best games ive played on ps2. Good graphics ,amazing weapons and is quite thrilling. Mercenaries was freaky and it almost made my pants.
  66. Mar 29, 2013
    simply the best survival horror game of all time no other company even capcom itself can make a better game. the game uses if everything to keep the player feel desperate of surviving. the story, the characters, the graphic, the sound.. etc. everything in it is awesome. a game that define survival horror with an RPJ!.
  67. Mar 14, 2013
    Perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfection.
  68. Mar 13, 2013
    one of the best resident evil games made sadly after this they went in the completely wrong direction. they shouldve built on top of this but instead they threw everything away.
  69. Feb 19, 2013
    Clever, suspenseful, fun, so many words to describe this masterpiece, Resident Evil 4 has to be one of the most played games I have ever invested my time into, the one thing that bothered me was the lack of Resident Evil in this game, what happened to the zombies and survival horror?
  70. Oct 30, 2012
    This is not only the best survival horror game ever but in my opinion the best game ever. The story is great, there is lots of action and great boss fights.
  71. Oct 28, 2012
    мистическая, страшная, долгая, реиграбельная и потрясающая игра,мистическая, страшная, долгая, реиграбельная и потрясающая игра, начав в неё играть вас может она и не впечатит, но потом...вы удивитесь как события развиваются.интересные противники, ужасные мутации игеймпей который вас не отпустит,игра в моей памяти навсегда.есть игры с более выдающимся сюжетом, так же серьёзный недостаток в игре это отсутствие быстрой смены оружия как в re5(приходится каждый раз лезть в инвентарь что снижает эффект борьбы с зомби), моя оценка игре 97/100...абсолютный шедевр Expand
  72. Oct 15, 2012
    The pinnacle of the series. A masterpiece. The PS2 version of "Resident Evil 4" is one of the console's greatest games. Not just a simple port, Sony's cover of the GameCube classic includes exclusive weapons, costumes and Ada Wong missions. This is a revolutionary sequel that turned the series on its head by completely changing the format. An action game by heart, RE 4 still manages toThe pinnacle of the series. A masterpiece. The PS2 version of "Resident Evil 4" is one of the console's greatest games. Not just a simple port, Sony's cover of the GameCube classic includes exclusive weapons, costumes and Ada Wong missions. This is a revolutionary sequel that turned the series on its head by completely changing the format. An action game by heart, RE 4 still manages to churn out major scares with its extremely tense gameplay. In this installment, Leon S. Kennedy (of RE 2) has been charged with finding the President's missing daughter somewhere in Spain. He eventually discovers that the region has been overrun by people infected by a biological weapon known as Las Palagas. Much shooting ensues. "Resident Evil 4" is a brilliant game that marries the action genre with the survival horror aspect of the franchise. Released a year before "Gears of War", RE4 set the standard of third-person action games with its over-the-shoulder camera view and quick time events. The game itself is about a 20 hour adventure and not one minute is wasted with boring, mundane tasks. Brain-teasing puzzles of the series' past return and the action has been amped up completely. It's a great feeling to knock a zombie down by shooting at its knees only to line up a head shot. RE 4 offers plenty of various firearms, all which can be upgraded at scattered merchant shops. The GameCube version of "Resident Evil 4" might contain sharper visuals, but the PS2 version makes up for it with all of the extra content. It can almost be labeled as a "Director's Cut". This was probably the best game of 2005 and the PS2 arguably has the definitive version of it. Expand
  73. Oct 10, 2012
    Great game!!! Not so great as Gamecube version, because of the cut scenes (not realtime rendered and for that reason there is no point in changing costumes) and some visuals, but gameplay is very addictive. Shinji Mikami made a great game.
  74. Sep 4, 2012
    хорошая игра. читайте биборан по два раза в день!
  75. Jul 23, 2012
    Resident evil 4 foi um jogo marcante para cada pessoa que jogou e mereçe a nota maxima.Com uma história epica , personagens carismáticos , com graficos incriveis para a época.
  76. Jul 23, 2012
    Brainless story, bad characters and voice acting..still, it's pretty fun once you get the hang of it. The item collecting is also pretty rad. Still, I expected a bit more.
  77. Jul 18, 2012
    Great survival horror game. One of the best resident evil games. Fun and entertaining gameplay, great graphics and sound. Great cast of characters like Ada Wong who is my favourite RE character.
  78. Jul 10, 2012
    Top notch gaming here to be had. Take a journey back to 2005 where Gordan freeman roamed the earth and ID survived of their good graphics and zombies when RE4 took the series to a whole new level. The aiming is much more pecise than that of the old ones (but I still love 'em) and the creepy atmosphere really made me jump!
  79. Jun 28, 2012
    Wonderful. The game stands on its own. Great survival horror moments and action sequences. The quality in every department of this game is superb. Excellent visuals, music, and gameplay. The storyline & gameplay takes a departure from what Resident Evil fans are familiar with. Resident Evil has evolved. Starting with RE4.
  80. Jun 27, 2012
    The plot is so weak it's almost absurd, but in almost every other regard this is a truly great game. Call me crazy, but I think this game was far scarier than the trilogy. It's still by all means a horror game, just a different type and more action oriented. To be honest, I always thought it would make more sense for the protagonist of a resident evil game to be more action orientedThe plot is so weak it's almost absurd, but in almost every other regard this is a truly great game. Call me crazy, but I think this game was far scarier than the trilogy. It's still by all means a horror game, just a different type and more action oriented. To be honest, I always thought it would make more sense for the protagonist of a resident evil game to be more action oriented anyway, given what they are and what they're dealing with. The game itself is a ton of fun, very suspenseful, and on top of that goes on and on for probably 20-25 hours in just the story mode alone. Expand
  81. May 27, 2012
    A great game with some of the best tension in a game, i played this game so many times.
  82. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is bloody excellent! The combat, voice acting, graphics, story and characters are all up and above average. It is one of the most atmospheric and suspenseful experiences in gaming, and will stand out as a classic for years to come. Excellent, but is difficult to find in stores and on the internet.
  83. Feb 24, 2012
    Resident Evil 4 is without a doubt the best game in the series!! The mix between Horror and Action is spot on in this game.. The story is AMAZING! the gameplay mechanics are really good for a PS2 game, and the replay value is really HIGH! especially the HD version which has all the extras from past versions. All in all Resident Evil 4 is an AMAZING! game.. You MUST own it if you likeResident Evil 4 is without a doubt the best game in the series!! The mix between Horror and Action is spot on in this game.. The story is AMAZING! the gameplay mechanics are really good for a PS2 game, and the replay value is really HIGH! especially the HD version which has all the extras from past versions. All in all Resident Evil 4 is an AMAZING! game.. You MUST own it if you like action/Horror games Expand
  84. Feb 24, 2012
  85. Jan 24, 2012
    RE4 is among the best that the PS2 has ever had to offer. I just beat the main campaign (about 20 hours long) and it's fantastic. It's action packed, thrilling, and while the actual scares were few and far between, the ones that were present were very effective. I've seen lots of complaints about the controls. I suppose it's a matter of taste, because the controls felt perfect to me. MyRE4 is among the best that the PS2 has ever had to offer. I just beat the main campaign (about 20 hours long) and it's fantastic. It's action packed, thrilling, and while the actual scares were few and far between, the ones that were present were very effective. I've seen lots of complaints about the controls. I suppose it's a matter of taste, because the controls felt perfect to me. My one complaint, and it's not even much of a complaint, is the script. The voice acting is solid, but the dialogue itself is fairly clicheed, and sometimes just plain cheesy. Doesn't matter. Once you beat the campaign, there's a crapload of unlockables and extra game modes. If you own a PS2, you must own this game. Expand
  86. Nov 10, 2011
    A triumphant re-invention of the resident evil series, resident evil 4 is a very imaginative and fresh new look in the survival horror genre in general. The attention to detail to the overall package is outstanding, with a perfectly paced story that keeps bringing unexpected surprises in both the storytelling and the gameplay. this is a great feat especially considering the main story isA triumphant re-invention of the resident evil series, resident evil 4 is a very imaginative and fresh new look in the survival horror genre in general. The attention to detail to the overall package is outstanding, with a perfectly paced story that keeps bringing unexpected surprises in both the storytelling and the gameplay. this is a great feat especially considering the main story is more or less 15 hours long, not counting the bonus material that extends the fun with minigames and side stories. level design is extremely well done and atmospheric, character design is intriguing, the music emphasizes the horror produced by the atmosphere, and the gameplay involves more than simply running and shooting thanks to small but effective variations and some exploration. My only small complain is that while the voice acting is very professionally produced, some of the dialogue is a bit cheesy for a game with serious themes. perhaps the few bad lines of dialogue are intentional from developer capcom as a trowback to the horrendous dialogue in the earlier resident evil games but this is only a very minor thing. A slightly more significant complain i have is that the control scheme is just a bit dated and slow, but effective nonetheless. Expand
  87. Oct 19, 2011
    When i played this game i was very young and it was one of my first games.
    So it all was pretty new for me and i think that made it extra awesome for me because this is still one of my favorite games. And leo still is the king of Resident evil world. And i here many people complaining about the control system but i think it is great.
  88. Oct 17, 2011
    the hard work and research behind this game is remarkable, shinji mikami and team spent 11 days in europe to recreate a very real european experience in the village and the castle. Indeed if u visit a european castle u would see an eerie similarity
  89. Sep 19, 2011
    If you have played the previous Resident Evil games than this game is almost nothing like its predecessors because they have made alot of changes to this game. For starters there are no longer fixed camera angles in areas the camera is now at the back of the characters, most of the guns have laser sighting and scope to help with aiming and the zombies have been replaced by humans who areIf you have played the previous Resident Evil games than this game is almost nothing like its predecessors because they have made alot of changes to this game. For starters there are no longer fixed camera angles in areas the camera is now at the back of the characters, most of the guns have laser sighting and scope to help with aiming and the zombies have been replaced by humans who are mind controlled and infected by Las Plagas. All these changes reduce the scare factor of the game compared to its predecessors but also makes the gameplay more action orientated, higher paced and makes the controls more responsive and making the A.I more diverse. The Ganados the infected humans you fight in the game are alot more smarter than the zombies and the way they gang up on you and attack you is alot different than the predictable zombie grabbing and blood sucking from the previous games. The Ganados can hit you with their melee weapons either by stabbing you or throwing it when they are far away and even throwing dynamites at you. On top of that those villagers also react differently to your gun shots shooting in the leg will make them limp, shooting them on their arms will cause them to drop their weapons, the Ganados can also get stunned during the combat which will allow the player to go near them and perform some special unarmed moves. All these changes and additions make the gameplay more fun, diverse and less repetitive compared to the previous Resident Evil games. The players finds alot more ammunition and healing items in this game as the enemies that are killed almost always drop the healing items, ammo and money and treasure as well which the player can use to buy and upgrade weapons from a merchant who appears throughout the game. The game also has some interactive cutscenes that make you think you are actually involved in then game even when you are just watching the cutscenes which is also a great addition. There will be also points in the game where you go through areas while protecting a defenseless girl who moves with you she can't fight but she can get hurt and you can use your herbs and First aid sprays to heal her and she will also be helping you solve some puzzles in the game these levels of the game may be frustrating at times but they are still fun and entertaining. The scare factor may have been toned down but that doesn't mean RE4 did not give me the creeps there were alot of points in the game that made me jump and scared me s**tless the part where you first fight the underwater monster, the part where you fight the El-Gigante, the part where you fight the bugs in the sewer and specially the part where you first fight the Re-generator all those moments just scared the crap out of me the first time the played this game. However the scary moments in this game are far less than there were in the previous Resident Evil games. The story is really good despite the only connection being between it and the previous RE being the characters Leon, Ada and Wesker and the mentioning of Umbrella otherwise its a completely different story. The story is far from epic but it is still well told and well written. Creating a chemical to control the humans than taking over america and taking over the world may sound too gimmicky and may have also been a used up formula for the stories in games but it was executed well here. The graphics are really good considering it is ps2 ofcourse ps2 has done better with God of War and MSG games but still the graphics look very good however the ps2 graphics still don't hold a candle up to the Gamecube version but that is because GC had a better graphic card the the PS2 and graphics don't totally make a game. The game's music and sound effects are just superb always suit the environments and the sound effects do a good job of building up tensions and giving the creeps. The voice acting is good however the dialogue can just be cheesy and corny at times. Apart from the main story the game also has the awesome and fun Mercenary Mode, Assignment Ada (a small mission for ada) and the ps2 version has two new extras which were not in the GC version the Movie Browser where all the game's cutscenes can be viewed and the Separate Ways in which you play as Ada where she explains her motives for being involved in the main campaign. These extras just makes the players come back for playing this game for hours and hours and having fun and really increasing the game's already high replay value and lasting appeal. Overall Resident Evil 4 is a great achievement on the part of CAPCOM. 9.5/10 Expand
  90. Aug 22, 2011
    The last/best atmospheric game of the classic franchise. The number four part of the franchise, surprise the player with a magical tension , and solid gameplay. Set in Spain is also a great move for the series, expanding the setting is always important. Even the graphics seems to be comparable to games of the 360 and PS3 very detailed and fresh. Best in the series after 1 and 2 .
  91. Jul 21, 2011
    More of the same, but with worse graphics and sound. Yes not everything was perfectly ported to other consoles and I'm not sure if Playstation owners were incredibly excited by the fact that they were finally getting a game that had been out for several years on another console. Overall though its the best package including the main storyline, bonus features, alternate storyline and ofMore of the same, but with worse graphics and sound. Yes not everything was perfectly ported to other consoles and I'm not sure if Playstation owners were incredibly excited by the fact that they were finally getting a game that had been out for several years on another console. Overall though its the best package including the main storyline, bonus features, alternate storyline and of course the mercenaries (which is a blast). It does however, suffer from getting the ugly stick bonked around its presentation a bit. The character models aren't nearly as sharp and the textures are bit muddy and the sound is just not the same quality the gamecube version had. Of course this is different hardware we're talking about and it mostly does the job very well and is still MILES AHEAD of the PC port which is still an unmitigated disaster done by a completely worthless team of idiots that couldn't port a console game if their lives depended on it. Its still just as fun, just as scary (debatable), features the same hilarious over the top dialog as before and Ashley's rump is still exceedingly fun to get caught start at on a ladder. Expand
  92. Jun 28, 2011
    Completely amazing! A perfect action, horror and survival game, the story is amazing, graphics are really awesome and the gameplay is really funny and interactive.
  93. Jun 12, 2011
    This is my favorite Resident Evil game because it's by far the scariest. When I first played this game I was so nervous that I was sweating - then again I was 14 or so, and not very experienced in horror games. This is the first Resident Evil in the series to do something different than the Fixed Angle thing - which to some extent made it less frightening, but in another made it much moreThis is my favorite Resident Evil game because it's by far the scariest. When I first played this game I was so nervous that I was sweating - then again I was 14 or so, and not very experienced in horror games. This is the first Resident Evil in the series to do something different than the Fixed Angle thing - which to some extent made it less frightening, but in another made it much more involving. A pro that this game has that over the others is that the enemies aren't necessarily that over the top - they're simple looking (except for maybe the bosses). The fear introduced is from men and women who don't appear to have anything wrong with them - though their clothing is way out of style (like from the early 1900s or something). They only grimace and don't look all that pretty - oh, well, they also attack you with knives and farm gear, and eventually chainsaws and even further on with gatling guns. There are monsters, but in this they aren't pulsating or as cartoon-like as they are in previous and future games. Resident Evil 5 sort of went over board with the monsters to the point where they looked less frightening (sometimes there's more through simplicity). What's also great is this game is directly related to the series and yet is indirectly related because it's an entirely new premise. It's definitely my favorite of the series and is lots of fun - much more survival is in this one over RE5. Expand
  94. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = Innovative and the best survival horror game of all-time. IT"S ACTUALLY SCARY They should write that on the cover. Pure Genius
  95. Apr 3, 2011
    I'm not a fan of survival horror and don't care much for shooting games, but this isn't a survival horror compared to previous Resident Evil games. The removal of the survival aspect has probably disappointed fans of the series, but this game is challenging even still. I really enjoyed this game because of memorable set pieces, bosses and even normal creatures and the game still gives aI'm not a fan of survival horror and don't care much for shooting games, but this isn't a survival horror compared to previous Resident Evil games. The removal of the survival aspect has probably disappointed fans of the series, but this game is challenging even still. I really enjoyed this game because of memorable set pieces, bosses and even normal creatures and the game still gives a sense of tension. Still remember it well after years since completion. Expand
  96. Mar 15, 2011
    Made this **** Series good.

I recall one of my favourite Survival Horror games EVER, Sweet Home, this comes "Semi-Close" to that. Fixed the terrible gameplay and camera, and that terrible plot. Some people don't like this game, lemme explain why : Resident Evil is TERRIBLE. I Mean TERRIBLE. This game took out the **** and replaced it with pancake Syrup, but without that terrible tasting
    Made this **** Series good.

Fixed the terrible gameplay and camera, and that terrible plot.

This game took out the **** and replaced it with pancake Syrup, but without that terrible tasting bull****, it ain't the same.
  97. Feb 14, 2011
    THE BEST SURVIVAL HORROR GAME OF ALL TIME!!!!!Before this game I viewed Resident Evil as an outdated and bland series but this game brought the sagging series back into the limelight and showed there is still some life(no pun intended)in this series.The story follows Leon S. Kennedy on his quest to save the president's daughter.This has the quintessential "bad" B-horror movie plot and ITHE BEST SURVIVAL HORROR GAME OF ALL TIME!!!!!Before this game I viewed Resident Evil as an outdated and bland series but this game brought the sagging series back into the limelight and showed there is still some life(no pun intended)in this series.The story follows Leon S. Kennedy on his quest to save the president's daughter.This has the quintessential "bad" B-horror movie plot and I love the cheesiness of the dialogue and overall story.Just because there are cheesy lines does not make the script lame.All the characters are expertly drawn and have a lot of personality.As you journey through this hellhole of a place you will a encounter a variety of settings such as the Spanish village,industrial areas,a huge and illustrious castle,different cavern areas,and plenty of others.The game gives you many ways to approach gameplay.Your equipped with a mix of handguns,sniper rifles,automatic weapons,shotguns,grenades,and not to mention your awesome knife.You will be put in this scenarios and you'll have to devise your own strategies and battle plans to survive.The enemy A.I. is also very intelligent.They will work together and use a variety of items to bring you to your knees.The action is frantic and occurs very often,but even the parts that aren't action oriented are so atmospheric that you will be to afraid to move on the next area.I've only scratched the surface of why this game is so amazing.So here is a list of Pros and Cons(there are very few Cons). Pros:
    Awesome graphics,
    cool storage system ,
    the Merchant ,
    all the different environments,
    creepy atmosphere,
    behind the shoulder look,
    accurate and fun aiming system,
    the constant claustrophobic feeling, intelligent and brutal A.I,
    EPIC boss fights!!,
    awesome cheesy dialogue and story,
    wonderful sound,
    addictive and varied gameplay,
    fun weapons,
    well drawn characters,
    awesome unlockables(PS2 version),
    will not disappoint gore lovers,
    protecting Ashley missions are actually enjoyable,
    fluid controls, and
    basically everything.

Cons:
    Puzzles and switching weapons can be tedious at times.
  98. Dec 19, 2010
    The only reason i haven't sold my ps3. This is just a great game I have played RE 1,2 and 5 besides this one and this is definitely my favorite. While some say it's not as scary as the previous games in the series and I agree, I have to admit that I was like 10 when I played them and they were so freaking dificult because of a crappy camera, aiming and movement that i think the only reasonThe only reason i haven't sold my ps3. This is just a great game I have played RE 1,2 and 5 besides this one and this is definitely my favorite. While some say it's not as scary as the previous games in the series and I agree, I have to admit that I was like 10 when I played them and they were so freaking dificult because of a crappy camera, aiming and movement that i think the only reason I got scared was because i knew I was going to be eaten by some zombies at any moment. Anyway this game has it's cool scary moments and a creepy atmosphere that can't be overlooked, so at the end I keep coming back to play this game once in a while now that I have beaten the **** out of RE5 and platinum'd it, because RE4 is just better. Expand
  99. Nov 2, 2010
    Although this is the review for the PS2 version which is considerably poorer than the Gamecube version, this still warrants a perfect score simply because although the game doesn't seem as crisp as the original Gamecube exclusive it is still absolutely brilliant even in the 2010 five years on. The reason for people who have played the Gamecube version to buy this is because you can pick itAlthough this is the review for the PS2 version which is considerably poorer than the Gamecube version, this still warrants a perfect score simply because although the game doesn't seem as crisp as the original Gamecube exclusive it is still absolutely brilliant even in the 2010 five years on. The reason for people who have played the Gamecube version to buy this is because you can pick it up for a very cheap price now and you get a brilliant extra mode involving Ada Wong that fits into the game perfectly and its clear that the developers obviously planned this, because if they hadn't surely it shouldn't have been this good, and extra clothes and weapons for you to use. Ok enough about the bonus stuff. There is 20 hours of gameplay to be enjoyed here for first time players, when I first went through it I done it in just under 17 hours, and with all the special weapons I must have set some kind of record in completing it in exactly 2 hours and 43 minutes. Please post a review stating whether you have done the game in less time. Brilliant characters also with great facial animations and some of the most epic boss battles ever, none of them disapoint. Onto the mercenaries which to be honest could have been a game on its own if there had been a couple more levels thrown into it. Check this game out you won't be dissapointed at all. Absolutely the best horror game ever made, and right up there with the best game ever along with the new games. An absolute gem of game. Buy, Buy, Buy!!!!!!!!! Expand
  100. Aug 30, 2010
    Resident Evil 4 has some very good game modes. It's kind of puzzling, but it's very good. This game gives you hundreds of hours of great gameplay. This game can be a little cheap at times, but its great 8/10.
  101. Nov 28, 2013

#2 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2005
#1 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

1. PSM Magazine
    Not playing through it from beginning to end would be missing out on a major milestone in gaming history, not to mention a hell of a lot of fun. [Dec 2005, p.70]
  2. Game Informer
    Simply put, Resident Evil 4 is a landmark video game, no matter what system you play it on... Truly brilliant. [Nov 2005, p.158]
  3. Play Magazine