8.9

1. Apr 19, 2012
    This game is bloody excellent! The combat, voice acting, graphics, story and characters are all up and above average. It is one of the most atmospheric and suspenseful experiences in gaming, and will stand out as a classic for years to come. Excellent, but is difficult to find in stores and on the internet.
  2. May 27, 2012
    A great game with some of the best tension in a game, i played this game so many times.
  3. Dec 27, 2014
    i swear to god. this game looks like a xbox 360 game or ps3 game. and it was released for the ps2. this game changed resident evil. for the first time this has changed in a good way. but re5 and 6 were bad. i mean 5 was fine but 6 was awful.

re4 was my favorite ps2 game of all time. it didn't looked like a ps2 game. it looked like a xbox 360 game. awesome enemies like the chainsaw and the generators which were scary as **** sometimes hilarious jumpscares from snakes. great story and voice acting. amazing weapons and Quick Time events.
  4. Feb 18, 2014
    Along with Silent Hill 2, this is THE Survival Horror game. It's amazing, innovative, scary. Controls are amazing, graphics are good. The only downside is probably "LEON! LEON!". But that is nothing compared to the rest of the game.
  5. Nov 5, 2014
    This installment of Resident Evil changed a bit, and introduced more modern characters that move a lot faster, and it was a great update to a series that has been fantastic since Sega Genesis. This game does not disappoint and like all of the main Resident Evil's(Survivor not included) dominate the ratings. You'll enjoy this game until the very end. Also like all Resident Evil games,This installment of Resident Evil changed a bit, and introduced more modern characters that move a lot faster, and it was a great update to a series that has been fantastic since Sega Genesis. This game does not disappoint and like all of the main Resident Evil's(Survivor not included) dominate the ratings. You'll enjoy this game until the very end. Also like all Resident Evil games, expect to be spooked at some point or another, even myself which I rarely ever get spooked. Expand
  6. Apr 26, 2011
    10/10 = Masterpiece = Innovative and the best survival horror game of all-time. IT"S ACTUALLY SCARY They should write that on the cover. Pure Genius
  7. May 5, 2013
    Most of the ratings are definetly overrated. There are things which kill the fun in this game. One word: Ashley. She was so freakin annoying, I thought about quitting the game. The boss battles though are as good as always and the shoot mechanics smooth. Stable frames, good graphics for it´s time. Well, you think: Why a 8? Why not a 9? Because Ashley is SO DAMN ANNOYING SHE KILLS THE FUNMost of the ratings are definetly overrated. There are things which kill the fun in this game. One word: Ashley. She was so freakin annoying, I thought about quitting the game. The boss battles though are as good as always and the shoot mechanics smooth. Stable frames, good graphics for it´s time. Well, you think: Why a 8? Why not a 9? Because Ashley is SO DAMN ANNOYING SHE KILLS THE FUN FOR THE REST OF THE GAME! The Game Designers shot themselves with the shotgun in the knee. Also it´s not real Horror. The Survival Horror left Resident Evil with this game. So it´s one of the better Resi´s but it´s not quite that good. NEVER A 96! 85 is acceptable. Expand
  8. Jun 28, 2011
    Completely amazing! A perfect action, horror and survival game, the story is amazing, graphics are really awesome and the gameplay is really funny and interactive.
  9. Feb 24, 2012
    Resident Evil 4 is without a doubt the best game in the series!! The mix between Horror and Action is spot on in this game.. The story is AMAZING! the gameplay mechanics are really good for a PS2 game, and the replay value is really HIGH! especially the HD version which has all the extras from past versions. All in all Resident Evil 4 is an AMAZING! game.. You MUST own it if you likeResident Evil 4 is without a doubt the best game in the series!! The mix between Horror and Action is spot on in this game.. The story is AMAZING! the gameplay mechanics are really good for a PS2 game, and the replay value is really HIGH! especially the HD version which has all the extras from past versions. All in all Resident Evil 4 is an AMAZING! game.. You MUST own it if you like action/Horror games Expand
  10. May 29, 2013
    Definitely the best RE game to exist! It's exciting, suspenseful, and scary as h**l! Just wish all the newer RE games wouldv'e followed the same formula this one had.
  11. Dec 16, 2012
    The game is OK. It has good plot, gameplay (but very downgraded compared to the old ones) and OK graphics. A bad note for the graphics: RE4 for PS2 is just a port. That's why it has less graphics than GC version, so, the graphics aren't so good. 5.5 for me.
  12. Nov 28, 2011
    This game was ok. What i don't understand is this isn't a survival horror game, resident was always about zombies, surviving on minimal ammo.
  13. Sep 19, 2013
    Resident Evil 4 was the best game on the PS2. It's graphics were incredible. The replay-ability of RE4 is very high, due to the unlockables and New Game I loved the inventory, which let you hold a lot of items and let you organize them to your liking. There are a great deal of weapons you could buy, depending on your play style. Resident Evil 4 professional mode gives you a certainResident Evil 4 was the best game on the PS2. It's graphics were incredible. The replay-ability of RE4 is very high, due to the unlockables and New Game I loved the inventory, which let you hold a lot of items and let you organize them to your liking. There are a great deal of weapons you could buy, depending on your play style. Resident Evil 4 professional mode gives you a certain level of challenge without it being frustrating and unfair. With there now being HD releases on Xbox 360 and PS3, there is no reason not to own this wonderful game. Expand
  14. Oct 9, 2013
    *Sigh* How the hell do i start...? Oh, yes! RE4 is the worst piece of survival horror crap ever! Seriously, critics! Were you high when playing this game? 96 point average?! What the hell?! The game is so flawed i could use it as toilet paper! Why is the game so terrible? Well, to start, the QTEs. They give you no time to react and brutally punishes you for wanting to enjoy a cutscene!*Sigh* How the hell do i start...? Oh, yes! RE4 is the worst piece of survival horror crap ever! Seriously, critics! Were you high when playing this game? 96 point average?! What the hell?! The game is so flawed i could use it as toilet paper! Why is the game so terrible? Well, to start, the QTEs. They give you no time to react and brutally punishes you for wanting to enjoy a cutscene! Seriously, Capcom! You could at least warn us! At least you had the sense to either make us start QTEs of our own accord (like in boss fights) or you have time to react in RE6. Plus, I thought RE6 was an amazing game! Oh, and let's not forget 'Leon. Leon! LEOOOOOOON!!!!' I hate Ashley's guts. SCREW THIS AWFUL GAME! Expand
  15. Oct 28, 2012
    мистическая, страшная, долгая, реиграбельная и потрясающая игра,мистическая, страшная, долгая, реиграбельная и потрясающая игра, начав в неё играть вас может она и не впечатит, но потом...вы удивитесь как события развиваются.интересные противники, ужасные мутации игеймпей который вас не отпустит,игра в моей памяти навсегда.есть игры с более выдающимся сюжетом, так же серьёзный недостаток в игре это отсутствие быстрой смены оружия как в re5(приходится каждый раз лезть в инвентарь что снижает эффект борьбы с зомби), моя оценка игре 97/100...абсолютный шедевр Collapse
  16. Mar 12, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is very disappointing when compared to earlier Resident Evil games. First of all, it's not a survival horror; you have a bunch of ammo and health throughout the game, rather it is a shooter game. Second, there is no atmosphere; it has no or few horror elements. Details like merchant, items falling from enemies (not zombies), yellow herbs (superhuman health increasement) etc. ruin it all together. Third, plot is in my opinion stupid and has nothing to do with the prequels. Fourth - I really hate Hollywood details and cliches in this game.
    But still, if you like shooting and blowing up masses, you should play this "survival horror".
  17. Dec 10, 2013
    When Resident Evil 4 first released back 2005, Gameplay turn from Good to Worst since became Noobish, Story was ok part just thanks to Ada Scenes along with Wesker Scenes,
    Gameplay: 3/10
    Story: 6/10
    Total: 7/10
    I was once Die Hard Fan but stop caring Since Series become crap once Resident Evil 4 Released.
  18. Mar 14, 2012
    Overrated, boring game that fully discrases the name of resident evil. Capcom took there fans and took a complete dookie on there face and smeared it around! This is a terrible game. Its not even an RE GAME! WOW! Its got Leon And Ada... Woopty doo, its still not worthy of bearing the name Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 4 should of been something completely different. This is stupid. BuyOverrated, boring game that fully discrases the name of resident evil. Capcom took there fans and took a complete dookie on there face and smeared it around! This is a terrible game. Its not even an RE GAME! WOW! Its got Leon And Ada... Woopty doo, its still not worthy of bearing the name Resident Evil 4. Resident Evil 4 should of been something completely different. This is stupid. Buy Resident Evil Outbreak, Resident Evil Code veronica, or Resident evil Operation Raccoon City INstead! Expand
  19. Mar 14, 2013
    Perrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrfection.
  20. Sep 13, 2014
    RE 1 and 2 were clearly major hits that propelled the series into almost countless novels, comic books, movies, merchandise and of course all the spin-off games. Once the series made it to RE2, Capcom of course released RE 3, which wasn't hated... but it was boring. Which is probably the worst insult you can give to a video game. At least if you hate something you are mad because youRE 1 and 2 were clearly major hits that propelled the series into almost countless novels, comic books, movies, merchandise and of course all the spin-off games. Once the series made it to RE2, Capcom of course released RE 3, which wasn't hated... but it was boring. Which is probably the worst insult you can give to a video game. At least if you hate something you are mad because you wanted something else or something more. It was clear to Capcom that just using the original formula of survival horror wasn't going to work for RE4. This is where everything changed for the series, and quite dramatically, not minor.

It was the first time ammo conservation was too easy, especially for a seasoned RE player. The voice acting in this one was quite bad, considering how it was their first triple A release. The Spanish characters speak using some generic English accent and often say 'bloke', which is an Australian term. According to Americans, all people outside of America (Capcom's translation team) are a conglomerate of random things merely outside of America.I get that the voice acting in RE1 was horrible, but the funding was very low and it was a game from 1996, not 2005.

The game was far from scary as it was trying too hard to entertain. Seeing "zombies" place traps and pick up chainsaws turned the initial (and anticipated) opening experience from bread and butter zombie fighting to just silly, over-the-top, juvenile attempts at horror. As the game progressed on, it shifted into an even worse, bad, pre-juvenille Halloween scare-show that your parents would take you to. Every monster was trying too hard to scare you, and that just defeated the purpose immediately. What made the originally RE games scary was the remote feeling of being left behind with zombies, not on some kind of freak show where monsters from every bad 80's movie keep calling you over to look at them like an attention starved drama queen.

And the I think the worst insult I can give this game is that it was BORING. I couldn't bring myself to play it after 10 hours or so. Capcom just took a giant dookie on this game, and copied the same crap that Konami was doing for Resident Evil ("epic" boss fights against giants, cinema like cut scenes which make no sense in a survival horror game). It was Capcom's all out attempt to re-make a game that was amazing when it first came out and when challanged with making something new and good again they failed both times. First with RE:3, which was just a boring, hastily put together copy of RE:2, and then with RE:4 which was just a re-done franchise and almost near copy of every generic PS2 action game.
  21. Mar 11, 2013
    No doubt this is a strong title for the PlayStation2, good graphics and polished gameplay, the story is not really innovative but at least does its job: keeps you moving on and opening new doors between curious and afraid...
  22. Jun 27, 2012
    The plot is so weak it's almost absurd, but in almost every other regard this is a truly great game. Call me crazy, but I think this game was far scarier than the trilogy. It's still by all means a horror game, just a different type and more action oriented. To be honest, I always thought it would make more sense for the protagonist of a resident evil game to be more action orientedThe plot is so weak it's almost absurd, but in almost every other regard this is a truly great game. Call me crazy, but I think this game was far scarier than the trilogy. It's still by all means a horror game, just a different type and more action oriented. To be honest, I always thought it would make more sense for the protagonist of a resident evil game to be more action oriented anyway, given what they are and what they're dealing with. The game itself is a ton of fun, very suspenseful, and on top of that goes on and on for probably 20-25 hours in just the story mode alone. Expand
  23. Oct 30, 2012
    This is not only the best survival horror game ever but in my opinion the best game ever. The story is great, there is lots of action and great boss fights.
  24. May 14, 2014
    I played RE 5 at my friends house it is amazingly fun. Coop goes a long way in making a game great. Resident Evil does not have Coop! The controls have you shoot with X!!! Every shooting game uses R1 or R2. I hate using x it is clunky as a shooter. Plus Ashley scenarios are the worst. Really Capcom you could not give us the option to Give Ashley a gun to defend herself! She is helpless inI played RE 5 at my friends house it is amazingly fun. Coop goes a long way in making a game great. Resident Evil does not have Coop! The controls have you shoot with X!!! Every shooting game uses R1 or R2. I hate using x it is clunky as a shooter. Plus Ashley scenarios are the worst. Really Capcom you could not give us the option to Give Ashley a gun to defend herself! She is helpless in the game and the game is only fun when she is away or when you are trying to find her again. The Ada Wong missions are a Joke.. The one boss that use FEATHERS to deflect a RPG is dumb. He is a real pain to beat but i did kill him. I beat the game and may never play it again. RE 5 is just too great to want to go back at all! Expand
  25. Oct 14, 2014
    my #1 game all the time Simply put, Resident Evil 4 is a landmark video game, no matter what system you play it on... Truly brilliant .............................................
  26. Aug 12, 2010
    This has to be the best game made for the PS2, from the multiple replays to the extremely well designed cut-scenes and the multiple enemy types, this game is better than most of its competitors. Espectially when you beat it and then there are the Ada missions and the Mercenaries missions. Best game EVER!!!
  27. Aug 19, 2010
    Right, okay. Deus Ex, Half Life, RTCWolfenstein, etc.: these games had been out for 3 - 6 years before RE4 and the dev team STILL couldn't get a good control scheme down. Its veeeeeeeeery simple: left stick = move, right stick = look. How do you **** that up? By going with a control scheme 5 years older that should never have existed to begin with. Terrible VO, plotholes beyond measure,Right, okay. Deus Ex, Half Life, RTCWolfenstein, etc.: these games had been out for 3 - 6 years before RE4 and the dev team STILL couldn't get a good control scheme down. Its veeeeeeeeery simple: left stick = move, right stick = look. How do you **** that up? By going with a control scheme 5 years older that should never have existed to begin with. Terrible VO, plotholes beyond measure, occasionally overly difficult enemies, but if you can get past all that, its pretty damn fun.

I was tempted to give this game a zero to balance out all the undue adulation, but that would be giving in to reactionary polarization. This is just an honest review with an honest score.
  28. Aug 30, 2010
    Resident Evil 4 has some very good game modes. It's kind of puzzling, but it's very good. This game gives you hundreds of hours of great gameplay. This game can be a little cheap at times, but its great 8/10.
  29. Nov 2, 2010
    Although this is the review for the PS2 version which is considerably poorer than the Gamecube version, this still warrants a perfect score simply because although the game doesn't seem as crisp as the original Gamecube exclusive it is still absolutely brilliant even in the 2010 five years on. The reason for people who have played the Gamecube version to buy this is because you can pick itAlthough this is the review for the PS2 version which is considerably poorer than the Gamecube version, this still warrants a perfect score simply because although the game doesn't seem as crisp as the original Gamecube exclusive it is still absolutely brilliant even in the 2010 five years on. The reason for people who have played the Gamecube version to buy this is because you can pick it up for a very cheap price now and you get a brilliant extra mode involving Ada Wong that fits into the game perfectly and its clear that the developers obviously planned this, because if they hadn't surely it shouldn't have been this good, and extra clothes and weapons for you to use. Ok enough about the bonus stuff. There is 20 hours of gameplay to be enjoyed here for first time players, when I first went through it I done it in just under 17 hours, and with all the special weapons I must have set some kind of record in completing it in exactly 2 hours and 43 minutes. Please post a review stating whether you have done the game in less time. Brilliant characters also with great facial animations and some of the most epic boss battles ever, none of them disapoint. Onto the mercenaries which to be honest could have been a game on its own if there had been a couple more levels thrown into it. Check this game out you won't be dissapointed at all. Absolutely the best horror game ever made, and right up there with the best game ever along with the new games. An absolute gem of game. Buy, Buy, Buy!!!!!!!!! Expand
  30. Dec 19, 2010
    The only reason i haven't sold my ps3. This is just a great game I have played RE 1,2 and 5 besides this one and this is definitely my favorite. While some say it's not as scary as the previous games in the series and I agree, I have to admit that I was like 10 when I played them and they were so freaking dificult because of a crappy camera, aiming and movement that i think the only reasonThe only reason i haven't sold my ps3. This is just a great game I have played RE 1,2 and 5 besides this one and this is definitely my favorite. While some say it's not as scary as the previous games in the series and I agree, I have to admit that I was like 10 when I played them and they were so freaking dificult because of a crappy camera, aiming and movement that i think the only reason I got scared was because i knew I was going to be eaten by some zombies at any moment. Anyway this game has it's cool scary moments and a creepy atmosphere that can't be overlooked, so at the end I keep coming back to play this game once in a while now that I have beaten the **** out of RE5 and platinum'd it, because RE4 is just better. Expand
  31. Oct 28, 2012

1. Not playing through it from beginning to end would be missing out on a major milestone in gaming history, not to mention a hell of a lot of fun. [Dec 2005, p.70]
  2. Simply put, Resident Evil 4 is a landmark video game, no matter what system you play it on... Truly brilliant. [Nov 2005, p.158]
  3. Capcom turned the venerable but stagnant series around with Evil 4 [Nov p.72]