7.9

1. ChrisC.
    Nov 17, 2005
    Challenging and addivtive.
  2. Feb 25, 2014
    Digital Devil Saga returns to kick me in the balls with its random battle encounter rate. Visually appealing, but more of the same from part 1, and uses 90% of the same assets. Again, the combat is the best part though we have more of a story this time, only recommended to those who loved the nuts off the first game.
  3. Aug 29, 2010
    Although the encounter rate is rather high, it has extremely tight combat which more than makes up for the encounter rate. The story is wonderful, the cast is great, and the actors do an extremely well job of delivering their lines. The Mantra Grid makes for great customization, allowing you to, literally, learn every ability in the game (aside from special story related abilities). If youAlthough the encounter rate is rather high, it has extremely tight combat which more than makes up for the encounter rate. The story is wonderful, the cast is great, and the actors do an extremely well job of delivering their lines. The Mantra Grid makes for great customization, allowing you to, literally, learn every ability in the game (aside from special story related abilities). If you finished and enjoyed the first Digital Devil Saga, this is, quite obviously, a must-buy. Expand
  4. R.D.
    Jan 4, 2008
    An Amazing game. The Shin Megami Tensei franchises always fascinate me but this one truly stands out as gaming glory.
  5. Dec 31, 2011
    Maps are more a little more varied than part one and I believe there is more enemies in this game, although the plot gets a little confusing feels like I need to read into it more online. Same as part one for nocturne and strange journey fans not persona 3/4 fans.
  6. BenV.
    Nov 27, 2005
    So much better than the first one, yet they're extremely similar. Some of the best story and strategy you'll ever find in a videogame.
  7. Dec 17, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I completed the first game with nearly 50 hours and found it mediocre. This game started off a lot better but quickly went south form there.

Pros
    1. Much better explanation of the world and why things are happening.
    2. Additional ability to add abilities and stats using rings

Negatives
    1. Vastly easier to get a party wipe from common mobs in some dungeons. I am over half way through the game and just got destroyed from full health with only 1 round to act. I lost 24 of 35 minutes of play due to the dungeon design and no save points for that whole time. I have lost an hour or more already due to surprise battles that essentially killed my party in 1-2 rounds.

2. MAX noise special combat mixes with extremely high miss rate and no magic leads to party wipes. In the tower I missed 2 of 3 opening attacks 5 times in a row in these battles. The 4th time my opponent needed to do 2 AOE attacks to wipe the party as they hit for 5 timers the normal damage during these fights. That was 1 of 3 enemies attacking. So Massive enemy damage, 50%+ miss rate by my characters (One had 40 agility in an area that 20 would be normal), and no magic lead to several time loses which I would say have cost me about an hour.

I estimate that I have lost about 2 hours of the 21.6 I have put in so far. Anything over an hour for a typical RPG I find unacceptable. I'm probably 20 hours from the end and the time losses just get more frequent.

3. Game requires a stupid amount of grinding. It should take half as long to level mantra and characters as it does.

4. Cash is an issue, at least in the 3rd and fourth dungeons. It was going to cost me 3K to heal a level 13-14 character. I had to keep leaving dungeons to use the free heal as healing at the terminals would have bankrupted me quickly.

Spoiler alert

In less than 2 hours 4 characters were killed off, or presumed to be dead. This is appalling game design since characters take so much time to develop and I lost entire skill sets because so many were killed.

I would never recommend this game to anyone and I love the Persona games. Too much grind, nothing original, and too easy to take time loses.

#69 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2005

1. PSM Magazine
    This is a must-have sequel in a must-have series. [Nov 2005, p.80]
    Digital Devil Saga 2 brings the strange story started by the first game to a spectacular, dramatic, and bizarrely calm end.
  3. Electronic Gaming Monthly
    This is an RPG anyone can get behind, with depths to plumb that I simply don't have space to mention. Give it a shot. [Nov 2005, p.143]