9.0

1. Jan 20, 2015
    I don't always review a game with a perfect score, but when I do I love to submerge myself in the sinister atmosphere of Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne.
  2. Nov 7, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant game. Some of the best fun I had on the PS2. This game is like a demonic version of Pokemon *lol* Not to mention the brilliant cameo by DMC's Dante.

But I will say the game's narrative felt a bit barren, almost non-existent. But still, the action is great, and experimenting with fusions to get the best creatures and move sets really make this game stand out.

Overall: Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne is a really different kind of game that seems tailor made for Pokemon fans who are looking for something a bit more mature.
  3. Aug 25, 2010
    Completely unrivaled in story, depth, replayability and totally original. Absolutely amazing - there still hasn't been anything quite like it in over half a Decade.
  4. JosephJ
    Aug 12, 2009
    Simply the greatest RPG for the PS2. Unrivalled depth, unique story-telling and wonderful stylised visuals, not to mention a superb musical score all encompassed in a huge and challenging adventure for the more mature gamer.
  5. EmilC.
    Sep 9, 2004
    Game in spirit of Final Fantasy games. Turn based combat, inovative gameplay in term of fighting and spellcasting, good graphics and sound efects and add to that storyline that is not completley set and depends on you and all of this make this a very good game.As always there are a few shortcomings that are not so important but for me only BIG shorcoming was that there are NO voiceovers Game in spirit of Final Fantasy games. Turn based combat, inovative gameplay in term of fighting and spellcasting, good graphics and sound efects and add to that storyline that is not completley set and depends on you and all of this make this a very good game.As always there are a few shortcomings that are not so important but for me only BIG shorcoming was that there are NO voiceovers so dialogs are textual. Surley worth playing!!! Expand
  6. BenV.
    Jul 1, 2005
    The best RPG of this console generation and almost of all time.
  7. Exors1stWalker
    Jul 29, 2006
    When I saw this game I at first I never wanted to buy it but then I realised my lust for RPG games was damn high. I bought it for such a high price (though I do regret it) The game is far to wierd and retro for its own good. I love the graphics and the thing about recruiting demons. The reason why I don't like it so much is the swearing. Sure i'm ok with swearing but an RPG as When I saw this game I at first I never wanted to buy it but then I realised my lust for RPG games was damn high. I bought it for such a high price (though I do regret it) The game is far to wierd and retro for its own good. I love the graphics and the thing about recruiting demons. The reason why I don't like it so much is the swearing. Sure i'm ok with swearing but an RPG as retro as this. I once asked this Foror to join me than the other one said Yo no one talk to ma crew you little shit (in a black playa voice). But the reason I gave it an 8 is breacause it' original but it seriously doesn't share the shelve with The Elders scrolls VI Oblivion. Expand
  8. [anonymous]
    Jan 24, 2010
    Story's really good, but it's extremely hard. I can handle it, but it really over does it and screws up the pacing. Character development is slow, too. Also, the puzzles are so tediouse that you need an faq. The game is really atmospheric and has really good music, so I could even reccomend this to survival horror fans. The combat and story are both so good that it makes up for Story's really good, but it's extremely hard. I can handle it, but it really over does it and screws up the pacing. Character development is slow, too. Also, the puzzles are so tediouse that you need an faq. The game is really atmospheric and has really good music, so I could even reccomend this to survival horror fans. The combat and story are both so good that it makes up for most flaws it suffers from, though. Expand
  9. DavidO.
    May 8, 2005
    A highly original game with beautiful visuals, but a few flaws: The story is very sparse, and the gameplay gets repetetive. But RPG fans should give it a try.
  10. ScottV.
    Aug 20, 2005
    The depth and replayability alone will hold your interest to the very end, which is determined by your actions. A great storyline, combat, music and audio, and graphics make this game the best of the best.
  11. SamanthaA.
    Dec 8, 2004
    what can i say, i loved it.
  12. Bj
    Aug 27, 2004
    Try it! A different rol game. Great action and summons, good techinichal graphics. Very good game.
  13. Lazlo
    Jul 14, 2007
    Possibly the most enthralling game ever created. Why it only has an average of 82 is beyond me, while games that have 90's and upwards fail to hit the mark. With the most original graphic design you'll ever see, a difficulty curve that kicks newbies in the ass and gameplay/storyline/existence that will make you cry Kagutsuchi's name in joy, if you miss this game, you suck at life.
  14. CassieB.
    Jan 17, 2008
    I'm a huge Shin Megami Tensei fan and let me tell you I went through a lot to find this rare game. But it was well worth it. The games strays from the typical RPG "save the world" story line and sends you strait into the end of the world. One thing I will warn about to people who are not used to the Shin Megami Tensei series is the fact that this is a very difficult game. You I'm a huge Shin Megami Tensei fan and let me tell you I went through a lot to find this rare game. But it was well worth it. The games strays from the typical RPG "save the world" story line and sends you strait into the end of the world. One thing I will warn about to people who are not used to the Shin Megami Tensei series is the fact that this is a very difficult game. You won't be able to sail through battles, which is a great thing because every battle you win feels like winning a major battle. So over all, it's one of the hardest in the series, but also one of the best games in the series (even though there is no voice acting). Expand
  15. Aug 2, 2011
    So much about SMT:Nocturne is stellar that it's difficult to hold it's weaknesses against it. As is, it's still one of the best PS2 era games in terms of what it has to offer contemporary players new to the series. It certainly does feel like it drags for long periods, despite the fantastic aspects and moments of sheer brilliance peppered throughout. If you don't mind a little drudgery,So much about SMT:Nocturne is stellar that it's difficult to hold it's weaknesses against it. As is, it's still one of the best PS2 era games in terms of what it has to offer contemporary players new to the series. It certainly does feel like it drags for long periods, despite the fantastic aspects and moments of sheer brilliance peppered throughout. If you don't mind a little drudgery, and if your inner demon is screaming, go ahead and pick it up. Expand
  16. Mar 18, 2015
    Original, bizarre, sometimes even frightful storyline quietly engulfs you into the demonic world of SMT:Nocturne. Once it does, you're about to lost minimum 100 hours.

1. One of the best and most refreshing console RPGs to come out in years, and is definitely a worthy candidate for RPG of the year.
    Most of the gameplay aspects are solid, the graphics are beautiful, and the quest is long. However, the relative lack of narrative elements prevented me from truly enjoying the wonderfully bizarre world Atlus has created.
    Behind the cool art and bizarre story is a fun, addictive and challenging RPG with great gameplay systems and a lot more variety and choice than most of today’s, cinema-heavy RPGs. Games rarely stray this far off the beaten path and actually work out so well, making Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne a must for the adventurous RPG fan.