8.9

1. Jan 3, 2013
    To be honest, I had no idea of what to expect from this game going in. Never played a Persona game before, but knew of the name from its praised reputation. Persona 4 did not disappoint. I absolutely fell in love with this game. I loved the social system and the character development. The music is really great and catchy, visuals are very good and scenic. The translation of some of theTo be honest, I had no idea of what to expect from this game going in. Never played a Persona game before, but knew of the name from its praised reputation. Persona 4 did not disappoint. I absolutely fell in love with this game. I loved the social system and the character development. The music is really great and catchy, visuals are very good and scenic. The translation of some of the dialogue could have been done a little better in terms of localisation to the non-Japanese gaming market, but then again I believe if they did that, then the game would lose a bit of its charm. I learned quite a bit about Japanese customs and speech mannerisms thanks to this game. I really don't get why some people criticize the voice acting, it's some of the best I've ever heard in a JRPG, ever.

Unfortunately I do have one critique: The dungeons. They get repetitive and a bit dull after the first few levels. It would have perhaps made more sense to have more, but smaller, dungeon types. Allowing players to move through them at a faster pace in order to keep the momentum of the narrative. Luckily grinding isn't really an issue until you get to the last dungeon, where grinding is almost mandatory if you want the best fusions.

Overall: A really wonderful game and the best JRPG I´ve played to date. I'm really glad I went back to play it and I will recommend this as a mandatory purchase for all JRPG fans.
  2. Oct 22, 2015
    Game: Persona 4
    Genre: RPG
    Developer: Atlus System: Playstation 2 (PS2) Total Score: 97/100 Value Score: 9.7/10 • Story: 10/10 • Characters: 10/10 • GamePlay: 10/10 • Graphics: 9/10 • Sound: 10/10 • Music: 10/10 • Length: 10/10 • Replay Value: 8/10 • Player Value: 10/10 Pros +Social links are back and consists of deeper narration of stories for more characters and more
    Game: Persona 4
    Genre: RPG
    Developer: Atlus
    System: Playstation 2 (PS2)
    Total Score: 97/100

• Music: 10/10
    • Length: 10/10
    • Replay Value: 8/10
    • Player Value: 10/10

Pros
    +Social links are back and consists of deeper narration of stories for more characters and more arcanas
    +More fusion forms and combinations available to create more powerful personas
    +Ton of side quests which will have you revisit dungeons again just to retrieve the items and to fight special bosses
    +Uses the same gameplay mechanics as Persona 3
    +A Deep engaging story of mystery and suspense with colorful and memorable characters.
    +New game+ mode which allows you to get more specific items and fight more powerful enemies
    +Multiple endings allow you to see different conclusions to the story depending on the choices you make

Cons
    -The transition from P3 to P4 is smaller than the transition of changes from P2 to P3. The game is almost exactly the same as Persona 3 excluding characters, location and story.
  3. Jan 2, 2012
    The next game in the wonderful Persona series, Persona 4 builds off of what made Persona 3 and FES so good and then adds some things to give it it's own identity that were both good and bad but mostly good. This game follows Persona 3 in the fact that it adds a simulation element to the RPG goodness to create a game that will literally have you playing for days and weeks on end. The amountThe next game in the wonderful Persona series, Persona 4 builds off of what made Persona 3 and FES so good and then adds some things to give it it's own identity that were both good and bad but mostly good. This game follows Persona 3 in the fact that it adds a simulation element to the RPG goodness to create a game that will literally have you playing for days and weeks on end. The amount of stuff to do in this game is staggering and I can honestly say this game, as well as Persona 3, will take you days to finish and that's a good thing. The combat is a fluid as ever, plus they've added the ability to control your teammates during battle now so no more questionable A.I. decisions from 3. It seems things have gotten a bit serious from 3 to 4 as your now dealing with a series of grisly murders in a small, rural town. For me, the story was the biggest improvement from 3 since in 3, the story is mainly just the run-of-the-mill "save the world from the bad guy" deal. This story was gripping and it really brought you closer to the characters in a way that 3 wasn't able to do. The multiple environments are a refreshing change of pace from 3's Tartarus and the enemies are a bit more varied in this version. However the biggest complaint I have about the game is the fact that it's way too grindy. The problem is they took the healing tarot cards from the after battle shuffle out, making things alot harder to deal with sometimes. Healing items are at a premium, even on easy, and the fact that you don't have a reliable healing avenue till the end of the game can make getting those needed levels very bothersome especially early on in the game. Just watch out since you'll spend most of your time each level grinding out the 10 or so levels you need to get from one boss to another to survive. It can be tiresome, especially since you have to kill each boss before a certain point or it's a game over. But the journey to get to those points is filled with alot of fun stuff and the simulation portions of this game are on par, if not better than the ones in 3. However 3 had a better collective of characters, while 4 only has a few characters that stand out (Teddy and Rise especially) over the rest. You will definitely enjoy all the characters you've got and it's nice to see that you can control their Persona evolutions on your own instead of having to wait for it to happen during the story. There are alot of other things I could talk about in this game but, suffice it to say, you should just play it for yourself if you haven't already. If you have, go play it again. It's far better the second time around than alot of the other stuff that's out there right now, especially if you have nothing else to do except wait for Persona 5 or the Persona 4 remake for the Vita to come out later this year. Expand
  4. Jan 4, 2015
    Just like with Persona 3 FES this is also one of the best games ever made and personally I like it better. Story is even wackier and I find it much more entertaining. Same goes for the characters. Just as with P3 this sequels soundtrack is also fantastic, something the entire series is famous for. Unfortunately I don't have a Vita to try out Golden but who knows. With all the new interestJust like with Persona 3 FES this is also one of the best games ever made and personally I like it better. Story is even wackier and I find it much more entertaining. Same goes for the characters. Just as with P3 this sequels soundtrack is also fantastic, something the entire series is famous for. Unfortunately I don't have a Vita to try out Golden but who knows. With all the new interest Japanese developers have in pc maybe one day the entire series could find its way to the platform. A man can dream can't he? Expand
  5. Nov 7, 2012
    I really loved persona 3: it's probably one of my most favorite game of all time and when I saw the sequel coming out I was so impatient and excited to get my hands on it. The day came, I got the game, and what I found was...a good game, with some improvements from the previous game, and MANY downdgrades as well. First of, I do like the new settings and new characters: they look good andI really loved persona 3: it's probably one of my most favorite game of all time and when I saw the sequel coming out I was so impatient and excited to get my hands on it. The day came, I got the game, and what I found was...a good game, with some improvements from the previous game, and MANY downdgrades as well. First of, I do like the new settings and new characters: they look good and are actually "normal" people who have their lives and just do teenage stuff and you can easily relate to them, (unlike the previous where the characters were a lot more weird and strange, almost different than a normal person). On top of that, now these characters have a more normal relationship with you and you can also finally do a social link (basically the only way to create better Personas) with ALL of them, instead of some, and this not only it's a good thing, but also "vital" since it can make their persona evolve into a better one. But here comes one big issue that I had during the game: once you meet them and make your group, you basically never see them again, except in obvious parts where you need them all, and the only way to actually see them properly is to do the events and increase their social links...but the problem is that you haven't got enough time to upgrade all of them and that means you're stuck on upgrading the characters you need and want the most. And infact, here comes another BIG issue, and that is the Dungeons. While in the previous you had (basically) 30 days for exploring a dungeon, in here the days aren't clear! According to the game, whenever there is 3-4 days in a row of rain, you're FORCED to go and do the dungeon part, or else it's game over and you need to restart from a week before (or sort of). The days aren't counted but you definitely have less than 2 weeks for upgrading and training your characters, AND also study, AND increase social links, and so this makes a huge mess in organizing your daily routine and studies. Not only that, you can do dungeon only during the afternoon, and this is a HUGE issue also. While in the previous you went into the dungeon at night (I'm sorry if i compare, not my usual way, but it's just for showing a particular flaw), that meant that you could easily upgrade your social links AND also go to the dungeon. There were social links also at night, but far less than in daylight, and you could easily do a lot in a single day. In here, if we go to the dungeon, our day is ruined, and once we exit, we can only go to sleep: we can't study (and so upgrade possible social links), nor upgrade social links at all (and some are during the night, as well). In other words, there's a feel that you have to rush out and maximize AND plan each single day in a crazy way, so much that I basically did the dungeon in few days, train the most I could, and upgrade social links until the time was up. This is such a pity because even if I did enjoy the game, the story not only is far more simple, but it's also uninvolving. The story itself isn't bad, at all, but the way it's told it reminds me of those mistery show for kids and doesn't feel sometimes as serious as it should be...we're still talking about demons you know! (I know it can sound like a joke, but it feels like I'm playing a Scooby-Doo game...with a bear instead). I liked this game but I did not enjoy as the previous game, but if you liked the previous game and, of course, other games of the Shin Megami Tensei series, it's actually a game to check it out: has flaws, but also good things, but to me it's not gonna be as good as the previous game. Expand
  6. ERB
    Jul 25, 2013
    I love this game.Best PS2 game I have ever played.
  7. May 5, 2015
    Even though I was not very impressed with P3, I decided not to give up and try Persona 4, as it was praised a lot more. So, is it a better game? Well ... It's hard to say.

Positives: - Compared to P3, the characters and the story are slightly more interesting which is definitely a positive. - Visual novel/dating-sim portion of the game is as fun as in P3. Mixed opinion: - The

Positives:
    - Visual novel/dating-sim portion of the game is as fun as in P3.

Mixed opinion:
    - The super long boring Tartarus is no longer present (thank god), but on the other hand, this time you have to go through 8 or so dungeons whose floors are much bigger than in P3 and you have to do so without healing midway, so it's practically the same thing.

- The combat is as dull and stupid as in P3 and the dungeons may have different visual look, but are still boring and there are only long hallways and rooms in the shape of a square to be found there.

Negatives:
    - The gibberish in musical themes is pretty annoying.

- Considering this is the 4th game in the series, I can't understand why the RPG elements in this game still suck so bad. Analysis is useless and doesn't do anything, enemies can inflict status changes on your whole party, thus preventing you from being able to recover, some enemies use 1-KO attacks that you cannot predict, when your hero dies you automatically lose the game and you cannot revive your hero even if you have a reviving skill in your party (probably the biggest **** in the whole game) etc.
    Once again, I have to say that the RPG part is bad and shouldn't be a part of this game. It should be a VN/dating-sim instead.

- The ending is bad and the real killer's motive is stupid.

- Persona Fusion never allows you to select the attacks that you want to have, thus making it better to have 2 Personas with different abilities as opposed to having a stronger Persona with only 1/4 of the abilities that you need.

All in all, even though there are some improvements in this game, the fact that the RPG part of the game brings the game down still applies. The ruined ending does not help either. So, I have to give this game the same rating as P3. It's a **** RPG game, but a solid VN/dating-sim.
  8. Mar 1, 2012
    My favorite jrpg. An even more fantastic story than 3, feels more offbeat, daring, involving, magical, and the characters are more memorable. A masterpiece.
  9. Sep 16, 2013
    One of the best JRPGs ever made. One could make the argument that it is the best ever made. Deep, compelling, and at times even emotionally moving, Persona 4 captures the best elements of the zany weirdness that exemplifies classic Japanese storytelling. Part RPG, part murder mystery (and a good one!), this game is a must play.
  10. Feb 21, 2013
    Let me start by saying that, for the most part, I hate JRPGS. This game has many of the hallmarks of what I usually find unbearable in a JRPG. Grinding, repetition, and a slow start to name a few. Yet, for some reason, I am absolutely in love with this game. Each component of this game, taken by itself, is not that impressive, but taken all together it is a remarkable and addictiveLet me start by saying that, for the most part, I hate JRPGS. This game has many of the hallmarks of what I usually find unbearable in a JRPG. Grinding, repetition, and a slow start to name a few. Yet, for some reason, I am absolutely in love with this game. Each component of this game, taken by itself, is not that impressive, but taken all together it is a remarkable and addictive experience. Except for the music. The music by itself is great. The biggest complaint about the game is the lack of variety and innovation as far as the dungeons are concerned. They're basically just hallways and rooms with enemies and treasure in them. The combat system fares much better. Simple to grasp, hard to master, especially on some boss fights (there's a few that are pretty difficult even on normal). The characters, music, and style of this game are what really does it for me. Okay...I'm rambling. This is a great game. Expand
  11. May 15, 2015
    Only can say that I left in one corner my WiiU and PS4 for returning for play this game in PS2. I dind´t know that Persona 4 can surprising me like it does. Awesome Characters, original and inusual story and hours and hours of diversion. Like FFX, FFVII and Secret of Mana, one of my legandary RPG ever.
  12. Jul 23, 2015
    So I finally finished P4 on my second try. It wasn't easy.

First major problem: Gameplay is terrible. While an RPG's value is usually in stacking different characters' powers to create a battle strategy, here no. A long explanation on how the gameplay is weak isn't necessary to explain how it sucks, I'll just give you the strategy for 90% of the fights in the game: -Use the
    So I finally finished P4 on my second try. It wasn't easy.

First major problem: Gameplay is terrible.

-Use the elemental weakness of the enemy
    -Spam your strongest physical attack
    -If you have a Persona who repels the enemy attacks, put it on and then go light a smoke while the fight plays itself.

That's IT. It counts for most bosses too! The system is so poorly done that while you have all the basic RPG elements of buffing/debuffing, status effects and elementals, apart from bosses the way those are implemented make them wholly useless. You're almost always better off spamming the same 2-3 strategies for EVERY single fight. In short the gameplay is painfully uninteresting.

Second major problem: Anime.
    Now you might think " well duh, this is an anime game", but Persona wasn't nearly so anime before. It was a dating sim in Persona 3, but it was a dating sim with a tons of dark, gloomy, depressed, sad, and deep characters. While the depth is very present in this game and every character feels well rounded and realistic, an ungodly amount of them feel like the worst saturday morning anime you can think of.

This game in short has about 3/4th of its stories that try to be slices of life, but they're all very boring and the worst kind of anime stories, they're overly lovey-dovey/yay for the power of friendship and love, but they all fall incredibly flat.

And to give a clear example on what I despise with a lot of social links:
    Yukiko 1: "I want to not inherit my Inn!"
    -Me : "Ok then cool"
    Yukiko 2-9: "Let's go out buy eggs and talk and let me tell you about my life of being a good, plain girl who does what she's told but feels a little cramped!"
    -Me: "ok whatever"
    Yukiko 10: "In the end I'll inherit the inn because that's where I belong!"
    -Me: "....why was I here?!"

How am I of any importance to her personal dilemma? None of her decisions are influenced by me. Her entire social link is taking her out to boring places, nothing fun or special happens and I don't feel like I'm ever being anything else than "the guy" while she's "the girl". My interest is dead for so many social links because I feel special to nobody and nobody feels special except Kanji, the Dojimas, and the stepmother who can't communicate with her son. With these I either feel like I'm facing a very tragic and peculiar life situation, or like I'm being helpful and special to these people. It feels good and it's what P3 did with great talent at almost every single social link. P4 is riddled with failures in comparison.

That also applies to the main storyline. The story essentially repeats itself 5 times doing the same predictable, boring, annoying, and honestly offensively stupid pattern:

Midnight channel shows shape. Shape is x character. Stupid Yosuke calls every time to say "hey, did you just see what you just saw?!". Try to save x character from being kidnapped. Always fail. Always go into dungeon and save x character. x character is now a part of the Team!

More than FOUR TIMES the same storyline with Yukiko, Kanji, Rise, Naoto, and the others. The 4 I just cited are almost carbon copies of one another! Nothing is as infuriating as knowing that what I'm currently doing is pointless because the plot said so, and still the game makes me do it anyway!
    When Mitsuo Kubo is brought back and the entire team lashes out at him, I cringed more than I did even in the worst final fantasies. HE IS SO OBVIOUSLY NOT THE KILLER. A MILLION ELEMENTS INDICATE HE'S NOT THE KILLER. WHY IS THIS STUPID GAME GIVING ME SCENES OF HIM BEING HATED ON WHEN HE'S THE MOST OBVIOUS RED HERRING THERE IS.

The story takes me for an idiot...

Lastly, the game is plainly tone-deaf.
    P3, again, was dark through and through. All the characters were dark, all the stories were sad or tragic.
    P4 feels like this.
    "Hey, let's go to the beach have fun! We'll take some drinks and swim and maybe take a peek at the girls' boobs!
    -Yosuke you pervert!
    -Hey let's not also forget if we haven't killed the bad guy in two days time the world will be destroyed!
    -Yo Naoto, make me a man!
    -Secretly the killer may be watching us!
    -Yay! Look at me girls, isn't Teddie the sexiest thing alive!
    -OOOOH, I saw a dark Shadow last night in the fog!
    -Hey, the Death Star!"
    What. The. Hell.

Fix a tone! Are you trying to be animeshtt or to be taken seriously?! Because as is, it's a horrible mess that never knows what it's trying to make me feel, a kinda dull teenage anime story or something dark and profound about the hidden side of the human soul, I never know and it's horrible.

To conclude, like all Persona games this game is super rich and has so many little gems that it still earns a 5, but it falls very short of the previous Personas.
  13. Mar 15, 2016
    It would be wrong to call this the new Final Fantasy because eventhough it's a turn-based RPG there are way too many differences with FF, but if there's one saga that's to continue with the legacy of the great turn RPGs, it's Persona, and Persona IV is simply the most refined in the saga. Great characters, great anime-like graphics, great storyline, great music, great everything basically.It would be wrong to call this the new Final Fantasy because eventhough it's a turn-based RPG there are way too many differences with FF, but if there's one saga that's to continue with the legacy of the great turn RPGs, it's Persona, and Persona IV is simply the most refined in the saga. Great characters, great anime-like graphics, great storyline, great music, great everything basically. I just can't think of any RPG saga that is close to Persona nowadays. Expand
  14. Apr 22, 2017
    One of best games if I already play on PlayStation 2, Give a chance for this game. One of the best turn RPG game with I ever play. Very good, play it.
  15. Oct 10, 2012
    Another fantastic persona game. The story, while not quite as good as Persona 3's, is fantastic. The characters are top notch and the voice acting is pretty good. The social links are now much more personal and are easier to finish up. The dungeons are more varied. However, they are much harder. In fact, Persona 4 is MUCH harder than 3. However, in the end, it pays off because the game isAnother fantastic persona game. The story, while not quite as good as Persona 3's, is fantastic. The characters are top notch and the voice acting is pretty good. The social links are now much more personal and are easier to finish up. The dungeons are more varied. However, they are much harder. In fact, Persona 4 is MUCH harder than 3. However, in the end, it pays off because the game is so fantastic. However, be warned. Unlocking the true ending is quite difficult and a grind will be needed. Expand
  16. Nov 15, 2012
    Here I thought it was impossible to follow up Persona 3, and they somehow managed to pull it off. Now comparing it to the previous game, the characters are FAR more likable, the gameplay is much more improved, the story is slightly better, and the graphics weren't much of a difference. The music was a hell of a lot better and has its own unique style to it. This game was fantastic.
  17. Oct 31, 2016
    Everything that made Persona 3 great, Persona 4 has and then some. A new setting, a new story, new characters, and everything feels just as great as its prequel. Persona 4 sets the bar just as high as Persona 3, and even surpasses it in some ways.

If you want to read what makes Persona 4 great, you can read my review on Persona 3 FES, because the dungeon crawling and the high school social life aspects are still there. The characters, however, are even more relatable and likable than before, with some part members feeling like lifelong friends that you would almost wish were real (Yosuke, AKA Brosuke). Each character has their own personal struggles in life, and in connecting with them they'll open up to you and reveal more about themselves as their trust in you grows, and you will feel a connection to these people on a personal level. They'll become stronger in their resolve as you support them, and in turn will become more effective in combat, unlocking certain techniques such as instantly recovering an ally from a status ailment, or even taking mortal blows for you, up to resisting fatal damage once per battle. The characters are believable and very human, and are a very central part of the game as a whole.

The themes of the game are a bit more lighthearted than 3's depressing motifs, but its every bit as engaging, revolving around a supernatural murder mystery that provides intrigue and suspense, as well as its fair share of twists throughout the entire thing. The game will make you think and deduce things for yourself, and as the main character, you don't just passively watch as the mystery solves itself like in many other games. You are a part of the team, and you are every bit as involved as your friends, and you will be required to think and solve things yourself from time to time, making the game engaging and fun, though it will sometimes test your ability to critically think and deduce solutions from complex situations, which isn't a bad thing, but it can sometimes make you feel in the dark unless you've been paying complete attention.

Collecting Personas is just as fun as in 3, and fusing and creating new ones is a blast. Finding Personas is all well and good, but creating your own is where the magic happens. That feeling when you create a new powerful Persona and take it for a spin is unbeatable in satisfaction, though the combat will always find ways to test your ability to strategize and think ahead, and the addition of allowing for player control of all party members adds even more strategy and options to combat. Luckily, the AI for team members are smarter than they were in 3, so leaving them to their own devices is just as viable an option, though I personally prefer player control.

Just like Persona 3, Persona 4 is a must own for JRPG fans, and hell, even people who aren't into JRPGs and just want a good narrative. It has a slow start, but stick with it and you'll find so much to love.
  18. Jun 7, 2015
    A very phenominal RPG if you can get past the first six hours of relentless dialouge. The dungeons also get a tad repetative at times, but the battle system and social link feature make this game difficult to pull away from.
  19. Dec 29, 2012
    Persona 4 is not only the best game in the series. But it's also one of the best PlayStation 2 games ever! It's a huge improvement over Persona 3 in every aspect.
  20. Aug 5, 2014
    Persona is a special game that can't be described well in words... It features one of the most compelling stories I have ever had the pleasure of playing through, commentating on 21st century teenage life in all of its complexities and absurdities. Its network of characters are all fantastically developed, which is not a surprise considering that the main premise of the game is saving eachPersona is a special game that can't be described well in words... It features one of the most compelling stories I have ever had the pleasure of playing through, commentating on 21st century teenage life in all of its complexities and absurdities. Its network of characters are all fantastically developed, which is not a surprise considering that the main premise of the game is saving each character from his/her darker thoughts and ambitions. Thematically, Persona is profound, deep, powerful, and at times flat out outrageous. But that's what makes it so memorable. This is one story and cast that you won't be forgetting anytime soon.

As a game, Persona captures the essence of a JRPG, mixing together creature collection, summoning and magic systems, and the classic swapable 4 member party. The battles have lots of surprises, flow very quickly and cohesively, and feature some of the most creative enemy design I have ever seen.

Really, I don't feel I can do Persona 4 justice by simply trying to explain its elements. This is one game you really have to play as a whole to see its genius.
  21. Jun 26, 2013
    great game but i really prefer persona 3 than 4.

pros: - another great cast of characters that are fun to be with and are still very funny - same gameplay but you can control all your characters instead of just the main character - another great story cons: - living in a small town is not as interesting as living in the city - even on the easy difficulty, you need to grind a
    great game but i really prefer persona 3 than 4.

pros:

- another great story

cons:
    - living in a small town is not as interesting as living in the city
    - even on the easy difficulty, you need to grind a LOT! and boss's take forever to beat
    - the endings are pretty mediocre
    - almost a carbon copy of persona 3
  22. Jun 16, 2017
    Personal 4 is certainly a unique experience and if you are a fan of JRPGs with turn based combat this is a game that should not be missed. The visuals are a weak point and the dungeons are bland but that is made up for by an excellent story with a ton of depth and detail. There are countless things to do in this game, the soundtrack is memorable, the characters are well fleshed out and thePersonal 4 is certainly a unique experience and if you are a fan of JRPGs with turn based combat this is a game that should not be missed. The visuals are a weak point and the dungeons are bland but that is made up for by an excellent story with a ton of depth and detail. There are countless things to do in this game, the soundtrack is memorable, the characters are well fleshed out and the experience is immersive.

The story covers an entire year with several major characters who are all fleshed out. Switching between the real world and the tv world gives a good variety of game play and really gives incentive to reach the next goal. The story is well paced and a good blend of fun events and serious dark twists. I can't think of a game that is both very light at times and very dark at others. Some aspects of the story are just ridiculous silliness but those moments are entertaining and are well offset by moments that are equally serious and dramatic. Each character you meet has their own arc and dozens of story events. While the story is very weird and may not be to everyone's taste, it is undeniably well done for what it is. If you hate anime tropes this story is probably not going to appeal to you. If you enjoy or can tolerate that side of it though, you are in for something special, a story full of mysteries, twists and emotional moments.

The gameplay is a mixed bag. The combat is can be fun when you get new abilities or fight bosses but it becomes very repetitive fighting your way through dungeons. All of the dungeons look different but they are basically just hallways that you run through killing monsters, there is very little detail and interaction within them. Collecting and creating new personas is one of the best parts of the game and that is what really makes dungeon crawling worthwhile. There are countless personas to discover and upgrade. The life sim element of the game is really addicting and the game does a great job of always introducing new elements the further you progress.

Characters are probably one of the strongest aspects of the game. There are at least a dozen characters that all have stories to be explored. Each character is unique and has depth. You can also choose how well you get to know each character or group of characters by choosing to spend more time with them. These interactions spread throughout the game really help you relationships with each character feel immersive as characters will start to treat you differently the more you get to know them. While many of the characters seem very one dimensional or cliche at first, the more you get to know them the more complex and real they become. Each character has their own set of problems, that you have the opportunity to help them through. My only major problem with the characters is that the anime tropes are often extremely cringe worthy and a few characters never evolve beyond their cliche anime personalities. For example the little sister character is overly cutesy and never really evolves beyond that even though she has tons of screen time.

The sound design is mostly excellent but once again, not for people who hate anime. The songs are catchy but get very repetitive in dungeons. The voice acting is very good though and the sound effects are all good.

Overall Persona 4 is a special game, it has a ton of depth, and deserves a lot of the praise it gets. On the other hand it is a game that will likely only appeal to a certain type of audience. It is a game that fully embraces its anime quirks and that can sometimes be off putting. I really enjoy certain anime but some anime tropes drive me mad and this game is no exception. There are many great moments and the overall experience is definitely worthwhile but there were many cringe worthy moments as well and part of this game that grated on me.

I give Persona 4 an 82%

Length/Amount of Content – 10
    Atmosphere/Theme – 9
    X-Factor - 8
  23. Jul 13, 2011
    Rarely if ever do I consider a game perfect. However Persona 4 is the closet thing to perfection I have ever played. Everything from Persona 3 is back and done far better. The dungeons are all different instead of the giant tower of doom you get sick of going through. The social links and the people within them are done much better. Not to mention you can control your party membersRarely if ever do I consider a game perfect. However Persona 4 is the closet thing to perfection I have ever played. Everything from Persona 3 is back and done far better. The dungeons are all different instead of the giant tower of doom you get sick of going through. The social links and the people within them are done much better. Not to mention you can control your party members whenever you want so you can make all the stupid choices in battle. Yet this game does have flaws as all game must and I think they should be pointed out. The main thing in this game that bothers me is the fact if you go out with anybody throughout the story how nobody in an entire town filled of noisy rumor loving people every figure out your going out with somebody. And most of the girls in the game are popular and well known so the fact this small thing was not worked on is a bit a jarring, but and the end of the day it is a small fault and doesn't bother me all that much. After all this is the game I've spend around 400 hours of my life playing. Expand
  24. Nov 16, 2012
    Oh boy, this is one of the greatest games ever made. The Persona series is probably the greatest series of all-time. This takes everything from Persona 3, and adds to it, making it a tad more difficult and adding some new gameplay changes. This game has fantastic combat, allowing you to switch between your crew and control what attacks they use, making it much more tactical. Outside ofOh boy, this is one of the greatest games ever made. The Persona series is probably the greatest series of all-time. This takes everything from Persona 3, and adds to it, making it a tad more difficult and adding some new gameplay changes. This game has fantastic combat, allowing you to switch between your crew and control what attacks they use, making it much more tactical. Outside of that, the world they built was fantastic, I've grown to love every single one of these characters. The story is great & very dark, just what Atlus is known for. The soundtrack, just like Persona 3, is absolutely top-notch, even better than Persona 3 in my opinion, it really gets you immersed in the world they created. I simply cannot wait for Persona 5. Expand
  25. Oct 7, 2010
    Persona is nothing less then an astoundingly fantastic RPG. It takes Persona 3's social sim and dungeon crawler blend and adds to every aspect in meaningful ways. The story is more focused and the characters even better developed then P3 which is something I wouldn't have though possible. The score is fantastic and the visuals are on par with other PS2 JRPGs. Minor gripes include the factPersona is nothing less then an astoundingly fantastic RPG. It takes Persona 3's social sim and dungeon crawler blend and adds to every aspect in meaningful ways. The story is more focused and the characters even better developed then P3 which is something I wouldn't have though possible. The score is fantastic and the visuals are on par with other PS2 JRPGs. Minor gripes include the fact that if the main character gets KOd it's still instant game over, it's shorter then Persona 3, and that the "proper" ending requires you jump through some specific hoops near the end of the game. If you own a Playstation 2 and enjoy RPGs you should track this down as it is an amazing experience that stays with you long after you've finished the game. Expand
  26. Nov 10, 2011
    This is the best excepcional work of ATLUS! this game is superb good the best RPG for PS2 i ever play . the one little problem it's the long chats. that almost of the time is boring but except for this..i can't wait to se a Persona in the ps3
  27. Jul 26, 2013
    It's rather fun game but dungeons get kinda repetitive and it eventually got boring for me, concept itself had great potential though, if writing would be better than dungeon system would be slightly more interesting this could be somewhat ideal game to me :P.
  28. Mar 11, 2017
    It's amazing how an RPG blends so well with slice of life genre that are rarely as popular in gaming nowadays. It emphasizes the same trend Persona 3 made with a unique gameplay equivalent of friends = strength. The story is not too shabby either considering it has to follow suit with its predecessor's dark storyline. Collecting personas is still as fun as it was before and their is noIt's amazing how an RPG blends so well with slice of life genre that are rarely as popular in gaming nowadays. It emphasizes the same trend Persona 3 made with a unique gameplay equivalent of friends = strength. The story is not too shabby either considering it has to follow suit with its predecessor's dark storyline. Collecting personas is still as fun as it was before and their is no doubt of the series' continuing success in the mainstream market. Expand
  29. Mar 15, 2012
    This is, along with Persona 3, the best rpg ever made. I regret not having finished the game, but I put atleast 40+ hours into it. Im really looking forward for the next Persona game. This is the last ps2's greatest game.
  30. May 2, 2013
    This game is fantastic. The characters are so fleshed out, they're almost like kids you would meet at school. The story also held its own with the greats in my opinion, and with multiple endings, plenty of personas to create and plenty of things to do outside of combat, this game has plenty of replay value. Persona is probably my favorite PS2 series.

#1 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2008
#1 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2008

Among the cookie-cutter sequels and half-hearted remakes, Persona 4 is a near flawless example of the perfect balance between "falling back on what works" and "pushing the genre forward." That said, I wholeheartedly recommend it as one of the best RPG experiences of the year.
  2. An outstanding achievement in gaming. There’s no question that this is going to be one of my top games of the year, and any fan of JRPGs should be playing it when it’s released next week.
    What really sets Persona 4 apart, though, is its endearing, relatable cast.