• Publisher: Konami
  • Release Date: Aug 6, 2003
  • Also On: PC
8.9

1. Sep 15, 2013
    Of all the Silent Hills so far, SH3 does have the best story. It is really nice to see how almost everything is brought to a climax and is mostly explained and wrapped up. Visually it is as disturbing as ever, perhaps a bit more in some areas.

The down side to this game is that it seems to follow the tried and tested formula a bit too loyally. Due to this it feel a bit like you've seen and done all this before, making the overall tone creepy but also predictable. On the plus side combat feels almost possible this time round.

Overall:
    Silent Hill 3 really want to be something great, and comes close to doing so. But lack of originality and the all too familiar survival horror routine does dull the experience a little. It's still a fantastic game, but don't expect too much fresh from it.
  2. May 21, 2015
  3. Rem
    Jan 22, 2017
    The third iteration to the beloved Silent Hill franchise is looked upon with heavy expectations. Does it continue what made the previous two so loved and memorable? To put it shortly: absolutely. More than anything else, Silent Hill 3 carves out its own identity while improving upon the last game, which is already a tall order in itself. While not perfect or even as engrossing as theThe third iteration to the beloved Silent Hill franchise is looked upon with heavy expectations. Does it continue what made the previous two so loved and memorable? To put it shortly: absolutely. More than anything else, Silent Hill 3 carves out its own identity while improving upon the last game, which is already a tall order in itself. While not perfect or even as engrossing as the second Silent Hill, this entry is a superb addition that does things quite differently and does it extremely well.

Silent Hill 3, unlike the second, isn't a departure, but rather a continuation on the first game's plot. Playing as Heather Mason, the adopted daughter of Harry Mason, you are thrust into a nightmarish version of reality right from the get-go. The plot has the most striking personality mainly because of Heather herself, who is easily the most likable of the protagonists so far. While I enjoyed the freedom the last two protagonists provided in terms of allowing the players to project themselves unto the characters, having Heather give her own take on the events that surround her journey is fantastic and interesting throughout.
    The plot returns to the "demonic cult" roots of the first game, but the addition of Heather along with a more interesting cast of characters than the first game had me glued to the screen much longer than the first did. The story is still wonderfully subtle in its delivery, but isn't afraid to tell you some of its answers straight up. While I did not enjoy the game's conclusion as much as the game wanted me to, the journey up to that point was just as fantastic as the games that came before.

The returning Akira Yamaoka's audio design has reached peak levels with regards to Silent Hill 3. The audio is just mixed to a fever pitch and is absolutely terrifying. Rather than the feeling of emptiness, Silent Hill 3 returns to its roots and is an absolute terror-fest, which is reflected in the audio design. Noises are much more unsettling and disturbing, and the monster noises still send a chill to my bone even after encountering them countless times. With regards to the more conventional tracks, Silent Hill 3 is also different in personality. There is a softer punk rock tone that easily relates to the character and the scenes that contain these tracks are much more impactful as a result. They carry a much more direct emotional tone because of Heather's personality and I love it.

It goes without saying that Silent Hill 3 is the scariest out of all the Silent Hill games, prior and after, because of how it fuses its gameplay along with audio, pacing, and creative design. Monster encounter is much more frequent and their unsettling design mixed with how the level design makes you come into close contact every time is a horror opus. This is only further heightened by the fact that the survival elements are much stricter this time around. Ammo and health items are extremely scarce to the point where avoiding enemies becomes necessary for survival. It's both frantic and exhilarating at once. The areas Heather must traverse, is equal parts terrifying, littered with disturbing or unexplained imagery. The visual design conveys a world marred in blood and rust, and its non-stop. The puzzle design is equally impressive, requiring players to not only solve cryptic messages but rather interpret them with the environment around them, an improvement over the first two's puzzles.

With all its improvements towards building a terrifying atmosphere, Silent Hill 3 contains a few missteps that keep it from greatness. The boss encounters suffers the same problem as the first, but more so that they don't really require much from the player to overcome, although they are at least tied to the story at hand. In addition one particular voice actor was so out of place that it actually took me out of the experience whenever his character spoke. Also, the train level design in particular, while terrifying never really gave enough information to the player for me to know what to do next. It becomes an annoyance when I actually have to look online to figure out.

Despite its few shortcomings, Silent Hill 3 is one of the best Silent Hill games while being the scariest of them. Even if it doesn't reach the levels of poignancy and enthrallment Silent Hill 2 constantly rode, this third entry set out to create an experience unlike any other in the horror genre and improves on the more important aspects that made Silent Hill so great. It's not the symbolic opus of the series, but rather a masterpiece in terror.
  4. Nov 28, 2012
    This is my favorite title from the Silent Hill series, the main character had something that the other ones didn't had, she expressed her feeling in a nice way, when her father die and when she wanted revenge from Claudia. The graphics, the sounds and the atmosphere were good. The extra weapons were excellent and i can't play this game enough to get bored, one of my favorite games ever! IfThis is my favorite title from the Silent Hill series, the main character had something that the other ones didn't had, she expressed her feeling in a nice way, when her father die and when she wanted revenge from Claudia. The graphics, the sounds and the atmosphere were good. The extra weapons were excellent and i can't play this game enough to get bored, one of my favorite games ever! If the controls and the camera was a little better it would totally deserved a 10. Expand
  5. May 31, 2012
    This game is awesome. It's not my personal favorite game in the series but you could argue that it's the most well made. I thought Silent Hill 2's graphics looked good, but this game pushes the ps2 to it's absolute limits, and still manages to run perfectly smooth and not a glitch to be seen. I would go as far as saying it looks better than half the games I've seen on current gen systems.This game is awesome. It's not my personal favorite game in the series but you could argue that it's the most well made. I thought Silent Hill 2's graphics looked good, but this game pushes the ps2 to it's absolute limits, and still manages to run perfectly smooth and not a glitch to be seen. I would go as far as saying it looks better than half the games I've seen on current gen systems. The controls are fluent, combat is effective, and the story is one of the most unforgettable that I've seen in any game or movie, mainly because the characters are so likable that you care about their roles and what happens to them (especially if you've played the first game). It's just a shame that the HD collection dumbed down the game a lot and removed things that were put into the game for a purpose... If you can, get a hold of a ps2 copy. Expand
  6. Jun 11, 2011
    Story-wise, this is the best Silent Hill game there is, in my opinion. It also takes the atmosphere of the first game's Otherworld and enhances the nightmarish qualities to new levels. The monsters brought about in this installment are probably the most demented, they take on sort of decayed, carnival-like forms and seem sort of cartoon-like in their proportions (such as the 'Closer'- aStory-wise, this is the best Silent Hill game there is, in my opinion. It also takes the atmosphere of the first game's Otherworld and enhances the nightmarish qualities to new levels. The monsters brought about in this installment are probably the most demented, they take on sort of decayed, carnival-like forms and seem sort of cartoon-like in their proportions (such as the 'Closer'- a monster with a oversized head and forearms). Also like previous and future installments, this game is very psychological and maybe even more hell-like than any other installment. Creatures can be seen being tortured in the background all throughout the game and when you're in the Otherworld. A non-aggressive entity, that supposedly serves a purpose in the Silent Hill lore as Pyramid Head does - some believe it may even be Pyramid Head though Heather's mind, is Valtiel who (I won't give away why) is seen throughout the game torturing many different entities and monsters. The sounds in this game are also extremely disturbing - flying monsters called Pendulums make a grinding buzzing noise, and other monsters make sounds as if they're choking on their own blood. The surreal quality of previous games is often helped by the semi-mediocre voice acting, however this is the first game where the protagonist actually feels like a real person because the voice acting from her is so real, but everyone around her, though they have very human pasts, seem much more dreamlike as though the whole thing really could be one big nightmare that you can't wake up from. Expand
  7. Oct 3, 2015
    Sublime,espectacular,increíble hay muchos adjetivos que pueden definir SH 3 que me encantó , EL MAS ATERRADOR DE TODOS ! . Gráficos muy buenos (por ser un juego de 2003 estos gráficos y sonidos son impresionantes ) BSO es sublime . Tiene una cosa negativa ? si tiene , que es un juego muy corto .
  8. Mar 10, 2014
    Es uno de los mejores Silent Hill solo detras del silent hill 2 y the room, una calidad grafica sobresaliente acompañado de un gran apartado sonoro y una ambientacion sobresaliente y a la vez tenebrosa, mi punto en contra es que se me hizo algo corto con referencia a otros Silent Hill.
  9. Jul 21, 2011
    Supremely underrated. Forget the pointless storyline, just the atmosphere alone, the main character, the puzzles and the mind **** are enough to vouch this game as being the all-around best in the series. It murders Silent Hill 2 and its lonely unsettling environments with a roller coaster of terrifyingly well executed weirdness and a showdown inside of a carnival ride that is so off theSupremely underrated. Forget the pointless storyline, just the atmosphere alone, the main character, the puzzles and the mind **** are enough to vouch this game as being the all-around best in the series. It murders Silent Hill 2 and its lonely unsettling environments with a roller coaster of terrifyingly well executed weirdness and a showdown inside of a carnival ride that is so off the wall bonkers that it should be given an award for those latter portions of the game alone. It contains so many shocks, maze like levels, dark stretches, instant death traps, and many other random insertions of horror. The difficulty can be traced more to the controls, which although superior to the first two silent hill games, is still admittedly clunky in most regards. The camera can also be a pain, but thats quite rare. The weapons are satisfying to use and I love Heather's curb stomp as it has a very testosterone inducing bone crunching noise. All in all this game is so unsettling that its been a year or two since my last play through, but my memory of the experience lives on and hopefully, for those that have not yet played it, it will soon be a part of you're memory one day. Expand
  10. Jun 28, 2012
    Wow. Visually this is easily one of the most impressive titles on PS2. It totally surpasses Silent Hill 2 and is easily on par with REmake. This entry in the series feels more like homage to the original with critical plot points and references. It's with out a doubt the scariest game on PS2.
  11. Sep 25, 2013
    This was definitely the best of the Silent Hill games made. It had such a great storyline and just an all around great horror game. It never gets old and it has some of the most creepiest levels and monsters than some of these new horror games have. It can be a bit challenging at times, even on easy, and you need to conserve every item you find but that's what a real horror game is made of!
  12. Mar 19, 2011
    SH 1-4 (Before the series was beaten to death by America's terrible addiction to come over to other Countries culture and **** IT ALL UP!) Silent Hill did interesting thing's to the series, it took it to new places, characterized the portagonist's, and really gave you the feeling that you're alone in a big, Haunted, Dreaded, Haunted town.

I've seen people complain about how SH's Combat

I've seen people complain about how SH's Combat sucks, well here's why : "You're just an everyday person, trapped in a giant cold, haunted place with something that hate's you and want's you to die."

Oh, tahnk god this game dropped the "Big-Titted-Nurses." The only reason they were sexualized in No.2 was because James was sexualy frustrated.

In my opinion the best Silent Hill game, if you haven't played 2, get this, if you haven't played 3, get 2, they're both GREAT games, haven't played 3,2, or 1, GET 4! But don't get any game above 5 except for Shattered memories, you're cheating yourself.
  13. Feb 1, 2014
    If it wasn't because RE4 is out there, I would say this is the best survival horror ever made. The story concludes Alessa Gillespie's tragic story in a very satisfying way, with few but interesting and dark characters. Heather Manson is my favorite main character in the Silent Hill series for being more believable than the rest; she is really terrified and you feel it, but she still fightsIf it wasn't because RE4 is out there, I would say this is the best survival horror ever made. The story concludes Alessa Gillespie's tragic story in a very satisfying way, with few but interesting and dark characters. Heather Manson is my favorite main character in the Silent Hill series for being more believable than the rest; she is really terrified and you feel it, but she still fights back; plot twist aren't obvious and it keeps a solid phase during the whole game with it's near perfect balance of riddle, combat and fear factor; Team Silent nailed it with SH3, is the best in the series and one of the titles that gave this franchise it's rightful place in the horror genre. Expand
  14. Oct 13, 2014
    Silent Hill 3 is one of the scariest games I have ever played. While the game may not look great any more that does not mean you should miss out on the awesome game which is easily the best in the series.
  15. Jul 6, 2014
    Silent Hill 3 is the more darker, deepest, sad and bizarre silent hill title ever!! I love Haether Mason character and Claudia too. The final chapter from the Alessa history and epic conclution, please silent team back to save the franchise !!
  16. Dec 7, 2011
    Another masterpiece.
    Team Silent is back.
    Silent Hill is back.
    Welcome to the true survival horror.
    Get ready.
    The fear is waiting for you...
    Silent Hill is back!
  17. Aug 10, 2017
    Very fun, scary and hard game. Even tho I was playing on the easy difficulty, the puzzles and game in general were really really hard. I can't imagine playing on hard. A bit odd and not so great voice acting but all in all, great horror game!
  18. Aug 11, 2012
    One of the best games of it's genre. Silent Hill 3 is a mind-blending and unique experience every horror fan should have gotten through! The puzzles are challenging and the combat is fine. The only bad things are that there are only three achievable endings and the time you need to finish the game. My first playthrough took me about 6-7 hours. My third only 1:58 hours - without the UFO-Ending.
  19. Jan 3, 2015
    This is by far the best silent hill game (yes it's even better and scarier than the **** Silent Hill 2), and one of the only two scariest survival horror games ever created (the other one is Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly). If most ppl agree that the first 3 silent hill games are the best, then SH3 DEFINITELY tops this list in terms of story, creepiness, survival horror, and atmosphere.This is by far the best silent hill game (yes it's even better and scarier than the **** Silent Hill 2), and one of the only two scariest survival horror games ever created (the other one is Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly). If most ppl agree that the first 3 silent hill games are the best, then SH3 DEFINITELY tops this list in terms of story, creepiness, survival horror, and atmosphere. Then comes after it is SH 1 then lastly SH 2 (which is the least scary SH game out of those 3 Sh games). This game together with Fatal Frame 2 is the best survival and the scariest survival horror games ever created, not even resident evil remake is scary at all, its only atmospheric. And, if u are a die hard survival horror fan then I recommend u definitely buy this awesome masterpiece of a pure survival horror genre. Expand
  20. Sep 15, 2015
    The best and definitely the SCARIEST as well as the MOST DISTURBING Silent hill game, and only one of the two scariest video games ever made (the other being Fatal Frame 2 Crimson Butterfly). It's also the only game that succeeded into giving me nightmares for 3 month straight for beating it for 5 times! Very Scary, very atmospheric, more disturbing and better story than the secondThe best and definitely the SCARIEST as well as the MOST DISTURBING Silent hill game, and only one of the two scariest video games ever made (the other being Fatal Frame 2 Crimson Butterfly). It's also the only game that succeeded into giving me nightmares for 3 month straight for beating it for 5 times! Very Scary, very atmospheric, more disturbing and better story than the second installment. This game can be the answer to the struggle of the survival horror genre is facing nowadays. Expand
  21. Sep 3, 2016
    the best thing about this game is that it is not Silent Hill 4: The Room. Amazing stuff, really

22. Nov 8, 2014
    This was the best out of the whole Silent Hill series. The story line continues from the first and makes a good job of it. It has a dark, deep yet satisfying aura. The enemies in this game are one of the most original I've seen in horror games. Great game
  23. May 6, 2015
    Takes everything the first two got right, and blends them together splendidly. Just what you were always looking for in a great horror game, plus, Heather is the type of heroine we always needed to truly experience the genre at it's fullest.
  24. GraceS.
    Jan 20, 2004
    This is scary stuff. If you liked the previous Silent Hill games you'll love this. Personally, I was disappointed because of certain events that occured. I'm not gonna give anything away though. All I have to say is it's grainy, high on frights, gore and detail. The bakery I explored looked so realistic! Silent Hill 3 is excellent but is getting rare.
  25. JuanS.
    May 25, 2005
    It's da best game eva.
  26. AnnieH.
    Oct 31, 2003
    Awesome!!!!
  27. Arr
    May 26, 2003
    This game is awesome 60 fps with gorgeous graphics o_o.
  28. JohnK.
    May 30, 2003
    Just put the disk in the ps2 and lose your self in the sillent hill dimension....
  29. BenN.
    Jun 7, 2003
    This game is nearly exactly the same as the previous games, which is a good thing because the last two were brilliant as far as im concerned, the one thing i will say is that this game throws you right in the thick of the action & if you have not played a silent hill before then you could come off struggling. This game is violant & sick which is just what i like out of the Silent hill This game is nearly exactly the same as the previous games, which is a good thing because the last two were brilliant as far as im concerned, the one thing i will say is that this game throws you right in the thick of the action & if you have not played a silent hill before then you could come off struggling. This game is violant & sick which is just what i like out of the Silent hill games & you will to, rush down the shops and buy it now. Expand
  30. JacksonM.
    Jun 8, 2003
    Very impressive game, get it NOW!!! It totaly rocks...

#5 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003
#8 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2003

1. This game also has quite a bit of replay ability to, with 3 different endings to see, and additional scenes to be seen on replay. My only qualm with this game is that it’s too short, at only 5 hours on your first play through and maybe half that each additional time.
  2. Those who lost interest in this genre a long time ago won’t find the experience here to regenerate their faith. It’s a shame because the actual storytelling and directing is a work of genius that demands to be witnessed, whilst the visuals are quite possibly the best you’ll ever witness on a Playstation2.
  3. Playboy
    Grainy video filters, swirling cameras and intense action put it severed head and shoulders above the rest of the horror-game competition - the best installment yet of a great series. [Aug 2003, p.32]