8.9

1. Oct 15, 2011
    A hugely fun game that has plenty of things to see, places to go, items to collect and people to save. Web swinging is exhilarating if a little irritating at times. Combat is frantic and fast, with numerous moves and combos available. The game expands on the movie by adding new storylines and characters (Black Cat, Shocker, Mysterio etc). Spierman 2 is a great take on the open-worldA hugely fun game that has plenty of things to see, places to go, items to collect and people to save. Web swinging is exhilarating if a little irritating at times. Combat is frantic and fast, with numerous moves and combos available. The game expands on the movie by adding new storylines and characters (Black Cat, Shocker, Mysterio etc). Spierman 2 is a great take on the open-world formula as the game transforms New York into a playground. Expand
  2. Sep 4, 2012
    I've played several Spider-Man games, and out of all of them, this one is still my all time favorite. This is exactly what I want from not just Spider-Man, but also every other comic book superhero. In other words, this game is a free-roaming game that allows you to roam around New York City, do story missions, and fight crime (basically a superhero Grand Theft Auto). I'm surprised thatI've played several Spider-Man games, and out of all of them, this one is still my all time favorite. This is exactly what I want from not just Spider-Man, but also every other comic book superhero. In other words, this game is a free-roaming game that allows you to roam around New York City, do story missions, and fight crime (basically a superhero Grand Theft Auto). I'm surprised that the only other superheroes who've followed this formula are Batman (Batman: Arkham City), and Hulk (Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction). Of course, the question on everyone's mouths is this. Is this idea well executed? The answer is yes. As a matter of fact, it's not only executed well, it's executed perfectly! It really does feel like a superhero Grand Theft Auto. There are several missions for not only the story, but also jobs such as delivering Pizza, and taking pictures for the Daily Bugle. Along with that, in New York City itself, there are plenty of different crimes to fight. They can be anything from saving a person from falling, to stopping an armored car robbery. The control of this game is excellent. It really makes you feel like you're Spider-Man. This is another important thing I think about when playing a superhero game. The control has to make you feel like the hero that you're playing as, and this game does that perfectly too. As for the graphics, they're decent but not perfect. I've seen far better graphics, but I've also seen far worse. The story is pretty much the same as the movie that it's based on, but expanded with extra characters. As a matter of fact, the only thing about this game that I don't like is the voice acting which is flat out terrible. Aside from that, this entire game is amazing, and is overall one of the best superhero games I've ever played (if not the best). Expand
  3. WigE
    Feb 22, 2005
    IF you're a spiderman fan. truly the web-swinging is the closet you'll ever come to swinging through the high rising sky blocks. Every spiderman fan should play this game. Otherwise - 7, good fun, spoiled by glitches & repetitiveness.
  4. TonyB.
    Jan 5, 2006
    I give this game a five because of the web swinging and free roaming other then that this game isnt good at all. First off the regular people enemis can dodge web attacks with ease. 2ndyou have to do the same street missions over and over and over and over again in order to get enough hero points to move on to the next mission. this is the most overrated sh*t nugget i have ever had the I give this game a five because of the web swinging and free roaming other then that this game isnt good at all. First off the regular people enemis can dodge web attacks with ease. 2ndyou have to do the same street missions over and over and over and over again in order to get enough hero points to move on to the next mission. this is the most overrated sh*t nugget i have ever had the displeasure to play. web swinging is its only saving grace. Expand
  5. CaioC.
    Jan 29, 2008
    Probably the most repetitive game ever. 3 or 4 missions that repets forever. The grafics are also bad. I'll give it a 5 only because, after all, its spider-man.
  6. Jonon
    Jun 28, 2004
    This is the biggest suprise to me this year, i was expecting an average game, and i get the total package, best movie/comic game EVER.
  7. ChrisW.
    Jul 4, 2004
    This is a great game. That being said, it's way too short. I rented it on Saturday Night, and I just finished it now, which is Sunday afternoon. It only took about 10 hours to complete. I did everything; bought all of the moves, got all the tokens, earned the 50,000 hero points in the part 2 thing. I did all the challanges, won all the awards. Now, I consider myself a pretty good This is a great game. That being said, it's way too short. I rented it on Saturday Night, and I just finished it now, which is Sunday afternoon. It only took about 10 hours to complete. I did everything; bought all of the moves, got all the tokens, earned the 50,000 hero points in the part 2 thing. I did all the challanges, won all the awards. Now, I consider myself a pretty good gamer, but it's still a short game, even with all the extra bonus features. It's a great improvment over the 1st, and it's a great game, it's just too damn short. Expand
  8. JonW.
    Jul 9, 2004
    Really addictive to play at first very worth to buy but in the end all of the missions get sooooo repetitive. great fun to swing and fight. meh a game that you enjoy but after 2 weeks you put it down and rarely touch it.
  9. BenB.
    Aug 26, 2004
    If I was the guy who programmed the controls, I'd be pissed off they didn't use them in a more intelligent, fleshed-out way. Given the sheer juiciness of actually BEING Spider-man, this game has no business being this bland.
  10. Joe
    May 25, 2004
    This game will rock!!!!!
  11. DougR.
    Jun 25, 2004
    I have the feeling that this game will swing away all other superhero games. The fact that you can roam just about anywhere in the game blows my mind.
  12. BrandonW
    Jun 29, 2004
    I KNOW this will be the best superhero game of the year!!!
  13. TerranceP.
    Jun 30, 2004
    If you love spiderman, you can never get bored of the weg sligin, NEVER! also, even though the fighting can get repetitive, there are so many ways of killing enemys you just want to try diffrent ways of killing them all.
  14. EmopunkboyKaiser
    Jul 17, 2004
    Fun for the first mmm 58 hrs. but then then small missions get old and hero points become worthless.
  15. DragonKnightofFinalFantasy
    Aug 9, 2004
    I really enjoyed this game I simply loved swinging around New York swinging around takes 90% of the score 2% is combat and 8% percent is for replay value, Pros swinging earning titles for doing all the pizza missions and such combat is sometimes entertaining Black Cat period. Cons Bad voice work Busting crime and saving the innocent gets old fast bad guys with unbreakable blocking skills I really enjoyed this game I simply loved swinging around New York swinging around takes 90% of the score 2% is combat and 8% percent is for replay value, Pros swinging earning titles for doing all the pizza missions and such combat is sometimes entertaining Black Cat period. Cons Bad voice work Busting crime and saving the innocent gets old fast bad guys with unbreakable blocking skills with the ability to dodge webbing so you always have to counterattack ugh....... Shocker in a Spidey came for the third time in a row but unlike the others he isn't the first boss. Come on Treyarch screw Shocker and give us a fight with the HobGoblin or something. Hopefully Spiderman III the game will keep the roaming and webbing systems and fix just about everything else and most of all screw Shocker!!!!! Expand
  16. JigganisZig
    Oct 10, 2004
    (i really rate this game 9.4) This game IS pretty great. First, here are my complaints. One, the graphics suck half the time. See, in cutscenes, things get jaggy and move around weirdly. Thes PS2 vers. was supposed to have gotten beaten by the ugly stick. Most non important cahracter models suck too. my other complaint is that sometimes the game is cheap and frustrating. but unlike me, (i really rate this game 9.4) This game IS pretty great. First, here are my complaints. One, the graphics suck half the time. See, in cutscenes, things get jaggy and move around weirdly. Thes PS2 vers. was supposed to have gotten beaten by the ugly stick. Most non important cahracter models suck too. my other complaint is that sometimes the game is cheap and frustrating. but unlike me, get an online guide, and save some money on controllers. Anyway, the good stuff is GOOD. This was supposed to be like GTA, and i guess it is. (im under 18, cant get GTA T_T) Its like GTA in the way that you can roam around freely, but you are spider-man. That makes it totally different! Swinging around is just great. Its reason enough to get it. Expand
  17. JohnC-dogg
    Jul 17, 2004
    Finally, a good superhero game! However, a few things must be said...the cutscene graphics are iffy, the missions get so repetitive that eventually you just ignore them, and it would be REALLY nice if you could attack innocent bystanders and cars. Picture webbing up some guy on his way to work and then leaving him on top of the Empire State Building. But there's way too much good Finally, a good superhero game! However, a few things must be said...the cutscene graphics are iffy, the missions get so repetitive that eventually you just ignore them, and it would be REALLY nice if you could attack innocent bystanders and cars. Picture webbing up some guy on his way to work and then leaving him on top of the Empire State Building. But there's way too much good stuff in this game to let that stuff get to you. My favorite part is jumping off a really high building, then webbing and saving yourself moments before you hit the ground. Really fun. Really. Collapse
  18. AldrichC.
    Jul 4, 2004
    Im speechless.This game is amazing!I think it is way better than the first game.I also loved the movie!!
  19. AshleeP.
    Feb 22, 2005
    I'll admit I really love this game! I like how this time you can actually go on the ground and explore real places such as Manhattan! My most favorite thing about it is that Tobey Maguire, Kirsten Dunst, and Alfred Molina play the voices of the characters! It's so much better than the first Spider-man game!
  20. Sam
    Apr 15, 2005
    Not the prettiest girl in the prom, but the one with the most personality and best dance moves. Although it does get a bit repetetive with the annoying missions, and the combat is decent against thugs (but great boss fights) and it's pretty damn funny. The high point is the freedom and web swinging and the custences are pretty nice, all it needs is to fix some problems with Not the prettiest girl in the prom, but the one with the most personality and best dance moves. Although it does get a bit repetetive with the annoying missions, and the combat is decent against thugs (but great boss fights) and it's pretty damn funny. The high point is the freedom and web swinging and the custences are pretty nice, all it needs is to fix some problems with repetiveness and graphics and it might someday be just as awesome, gorgeous, and flat out entertaining as the movie, and maybe the other big boys in gaming. Expand
  21. Mar 7, 2011
    Every problem from the first game has been fixed, from the crappy camera, to the bad voice acting, Activision and Treyarch have created one of the best open world games of all time! the city feels alive, with cars and people constantly about, it has tons of things to outside of the main quest like delivering pizzas and playing at the arcade, and web-slinging around the city is awesome andEvery problem from the first game has been fixed, from the crappy camera, to the bad voice acting, Activision and Treyarch have created one of the best open world games of all time! the city feels alive, with cars and people constantly about, it has tons of things to outside of the main quest like delivering pizzas and playing at the arcade, and web-slinging around the city is awesome and feels perfect, my only complaint and the only thing holding it back from a perfect 10 is that in order to activate crimes you have to talk to a person so they can tell you what to do, which takes away some of the real life feel of the game, but that minor flaw aside this is one of the best Spider-Man games ever, I recommend this to everyone. Expand
  22. Jul 1, 2011
    I was never a big fan of the first game but this is a HUMONGOUS improvement. It's almost like GTA. I absolutely recommend this game to anyone who's looking for a fun game.
  23. May 7, 2011
    As corny as it may sound, you actually feel like Spider-Man in this game. Pros: A wide-open map of New York City with breathtaking depth; fantastic graphics, control, and audio; variety of challenging missions and boss battles; the web-slinging is slick and smooth; some funny dialog. Cons: A lot of slowdowns and poor enemy A.I., as well as camera issues.
  24. Jul 1, 2012
    I'd like to give this game a negative review, considering I really dislike Treyarch, but I believe the early Spider-Man games and Tony Hawk games are the only things that they've ever really done right. Spider-Man 2 follows the story line of the movie it's based off, but it also allows the player a lot of freedom to explore the map, stop crimes that occur, and collect items.

The

The graphics were beautiful and the gameplay makes you feel like you're Spider-Man in a way similar to how Arkham Asylum makes you feel like Batman (though not nearly as awesome). This game is really good, even still. Get it if you missed out back when it was released. It's worth a try.
  25. Mar 25, 2013
    Fantastic game. If you are someone looking for older ps2 games to play Spider-Man 2. It's all about the gameplay for this one. Huge open areas, great combos and cool villains, easily the best Spider-Man game out there. 9/10
  26. May 20, 2015
    Spider-Man 2 was the best film of the summer. Not only that, it
    produced the best video game of the summer. The video game takes place
    two years after the events of the first one (depending on which version you have). It takes our hero, Spider-Man, to a whole new level. New enemies such as Rhino and Mysterio make their appearance, while Shocker also makes a return. Some levels, Black
    Spider-Man 2 was the best film of the summer. Not only that, it
    produced the best video game of the summer. The video game takes place
    two years after the events of the first one (depending on which version
    you have). It takes our hero, Spider-Man, to a whole new level. New
    enemies such as Rhino and Mysterio make their appearance, while Shocker
    also makes a return. Some levels, Black Cat will give you a run for her
    money. And the best part of it all is...you have unlimited freedom. You
    can do whatever a spider can. So, if you haven't played the game
    already, then you need to.
  27. Feb 4, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superheroes Anonymous

Tragically I am a Batman. An obsessive Caped Crusader comic-book collector until 1972 when my evil mother tossed the entire bunch in the garbage. My cousin was Spider-man. His noble mother preserved his collection with plastic envelopes and to this day they remain in pristine condition.

What's truly tragic about being a Batman is that, despite Nolan's recent attempts (and questionable sincerity), the best Batman movie hasn't been made yet. As far as we know, with Batman's fate resting with Warner Bros, David Goyer, Zak Snider and Ben Affleck, the best Batman movie will not be possible for another decade or two, maybe three. I await thee Dark Knight.

Again to my cousin's good fortune, the best movie about Spider-man has been established for quite some time. In fact, as a benchmark, it is arguably the best comic-book super-hero movie ever made. I didn't much love Sam Raimi's first Spider-man, and wished my mother could have disposed of his last entry, but Spider-man 2 was, and is, the ultimate movie adaptation from comic-books to the movie screen.

I was living in Shanghai in the summer of 2004 where I had to commute 3 hours on a hot and dizzy day to see it in English, and was fully rewarded for the effort. I was thrust into a imaginary super-hero world far more pleasing than anything I could remember since childhood. The 3 hour commute back home seemed like a breeze because Spider-man 2 awoke the wonder-struck boy inside me. It reminded me of a happy youth I forgot I had. It felt like Spidey was on the subway with me and would protect me from any harm. And he was just a boy himself! Batman? Who's that?

For a super-hero story, nearly everything is perfect in this movie. Doc Ock couldn't have been better. He looked exactly the way he did, at the height of Stan Lee's eminence, in the brightly coloured panels fighting Spiderman in 1968. And sounded just like I imagined he would. Peter and Mary Jane were in their element and their friendship and romantic undertaking actually mattered. The story and action played out the way a comic book should. It was both intimate and fantastic. Trippy, wonderful and scary. It was like growing up all over again. The climax was a bit too flashy, loud and over-the-top at that time, but by today's standards, when compared to climactic train-wrecks in Man of Steel, Iron Man 3 and the Avengers, it's perfectly splendid.

We are now being helplessly bombarded with comic book movies attacking us from every direction, all of them trying to out-do each other, jumping one shark after another. Every marginal superhero from Dr Strange to Shazam is being dusted off and hurled onto the big screen for our insatiable happy-childhood-appeasing appetite. The Marvel of Disney is launching at us one theme-park roller-coaster ride after another. Sony, with their Amazing Spider-man abominations, has completely lost it. Fox's X-Men and Fantastic Four proliferations hit the wall long ago. And DC, under the reigns of Warner Bros, has transfigured into its own worst enemy. A wretched mutation not even the Joker finds amusing.

Turns out Sam Raimi's Spiderman 2 is the gold standard by which all comic-book movies, certainly those of the super-hero variety, are and, evidently, will be set. Lucky cousin.
  28. Nov 9, 2014
    With The Amazing Spider-Man,Spider-Man 2 it's the best videogame based on a movie.With a modified storyline of the movie and a gameplay totally open world.
  29. Feb 12, 2015
    Best Spiderman game ever. I love the open world, the web slinging, the graphics and the gameplay. Spiderman games might be bad now but you have to check this one out

1. Some may be disappointed by the lack of personal scenes from the film but chances are they wouldn't have made great game missions.
  2. Spider-Man 2 emerges as not only a movie licence that eschews the ‘fast-buck’ approach, but as an enjoyable game in its own right – which is chiefly a testament to just how compelling it is to have superpowers and a vast city in which to show them off. [Sept 2004, p.118]
    The game's integral factors ascend above the fray, giving players a huge, multifaceted game that's rich in skill-based gameplay and replay value. It's fat with a massive array of challenges, and it delivery a distinct Spider-Man style of fun previously unmatched in the action genre.