8.3

1. JeremyY.
    Jan 4, 2007
    I fell in love with this game. At first I just started playing it while in the middle of playing FF12, then as I got farther into it, I completely blew ff12 off to finish this game. My favorite RPG so far.
  2. RiwcainS
    Jul 1, 2008
    Definitely one of the greatest games I've ever played. The characters are so deep and realistic, and the game play is phenominal... By far one of the greatest games I've ever played.
  3. SukotsutoS.
    Nov 4, 2006
    If you want pure intense action in RPGs, you can never go wrong with the latest "Tales of..." series game: Tales of the Abyss! You can also play multiplayer during battles, which is a definite BIG plus for those with friends who want to share in the awesome experience of this game.
  4. ZeroHour
    Oct 14, 2008
    A truly wonderful RPG, and one of the best I've played. Few could earn that right.
  5. BenJ
    Dec 12, 2008
    Excellent rpg, my favourite out of the Tales of series, even better than Symphonia. Following the same style of gameplay and combat that the previous Tales of games used, with some major improvments like being able to free run around the battle means the gameplay is even more enjoyable. Also the characters are well made and full of development all through out the story, none of them Excellent rpg, my favourite out of the Tales of series, even better than Symphonia. Following the same style of gameplay and combat that the previous Tales of games used, with some major improvments like being able to free run around the battle means the gameplay is even more enjoyable. Also the characters are well made and full of development all through out the story, none of them getting left out and the story and amusing conversations which is constantly dished out leaves you wanting more every second. A truely epic tale which any gamer should enjoy. The only minor let downs being one or two glitches, which are only noticable if you actually search for them. That all said, don't expect anything new from the series, most gamers go in expecting a completely new style and consequently get a tad disappointed when they find out the gameplay style and battle system is still the same, however don't let that put you off, the battle system is well refined and the dungeons aren't tedious like most. Expand
  6. Sep 4, 2011
    I love the contrast here. On the one hand you have rabid 'Tales' fans (which admittedly, include me) praising the game to no end. On the other, you have those who can't keep Tear alive for three seconds on any difficulty above Normal. Someone forgot about the A.I. settings *tsk*. Tales of the Abyss has many things going for it. An enjoyable and relatable cast, a great battle system, inI love the contrast here. On the one hand you have rabid 'Tales' fans (which admittedly, include me) praising the game to no end. On the other, you have those who can't keep Tear alive for three seconds on any difficulty above Normal. Someone forgot about the A.I. settings *tsk*. Tales of the Abyss has many things going for it. An enjoyable and relatable cast, a great battle system, in depth customization, a great plot, immersive side-quests, costumes, and plenty of fanservice for anyone who could chance upon this game. The gameplay is fluid, though marred by obscene load times, particularly on the World Map, which you spend an unfortunate amount of time on. The story is equally engrossing, with twists and turns that you may or may not have seen coming, depending on how long you've spent at TVTropes. Unless you've never picked up a JRPG before, the difficulty is low, though starting out on 'Hard' as a certain reviewer did, is probably an endeavor best saved for the games eternal 'New Game Plus' feature, allowing you to keep parts of your old progress when you restart the game. The game is a vast improvement over 'Legendia' and in many ways, over 'Symphonia' as well. The 'Free Run' system is a very welcome addition to the series, and helps improve the battles flow, though the series trademark LMBS system still keeps fans attention. In short, Tales of the Abyss is a great game with really only one flaw. The painfully long load times that are only eclipsed by Sonic 2006. Get past that though, and you have one of the best games ever made, with complexity deeper than, well, and Abyss. Expand
  7. Feb 16, 2012
    Tales of the Abyss is truely a great RPG. Not mindless walking around for hours with only a main quest but lots of conversations between characters while playing. Glad I found this game for my old PS2. Tales series always had one of the best battle systems and this one keeps at it. Every lover of JRPG should have played this one. Very recommendable
  8. Aug 9, 2012
    Turn annoying at times, when you don't have a clue of where is the next step. But totally worth it, the character development is awesome, how they "evolve" throw the game is simply epic. The gameplay is pretty fun and the graphics are ok. Get the 100% take a lot of extra play.
  9. MarkY.
    Feb 6, 2007
    Plot and characters so enjoyable and refined that it puts other recent RPGs to shame. This is an RPG as it should be, with the story and characters at the center!
  10. MilesBugg
    May 3, 2006
    Best of the "Tales" series, and definitely one of the best RPGs to be released this generation (I can say this by playing through an import copy). Lets be thankful they are bringing it stateside.
  11. MandyP.
    Feb 16, 2007
    Today, where in the gaming world, graphics are favored over the actual game itself, ToA is a nice change of pace. The designs are simple and original but very attractive as they arn't over done, giving it its appeal. Like the rest of the Tales series, it has a very anime flavor that may not appeal to all, though if you judge by simply it's style, you're probably missing out Today, where in the gaming world, graphics are favored over the actual game itself, ToA is a nice change of pace. The designs are simple and original but very attractive as they arn't over done, giving it its appeal. Like the rest of the Tales series, it has a very anime flavor that may not appeal to all, though if you judge by simply it's style, you're probably missing out on a lot. The characters themselves are developed brilliantly, so there's bound to be something to like about every character. Even those annoying ones, when if one thinks about it, there's something to envy or admire about that character. More importantly, none of the characters are perfect, reveal a more down to earth characters to interact with. Voices overs are exstremely well chosen and don't become too annoying. The story itself is an wonderful thrill ride, though people might not think that entirely since it does feel a little controlled. There's always something to do, so one can spend hours on end following the story, exploring or doing side quests. The side quests are probably one of the most enjoyable features and gives the characters and world more depth. Gameplay wise, if you're impatient, loading time might be a problem, but its only 5 seconds of your life and the game is well worth the waiting. The only thing that's truely annoying is the small cutscenes where you see the character's head moving and the text speech displayed underneither that the player cannot simply scroll through, though they often contain interesting facts and again help deepen the world in which the player plays. but begger's can't be choosers really. This game nicely fits button mashers and strategists as you can choose which character you'd like to charge into battle with and rotate as you play, and it's fun to experiement with different characters. Battling itself is fast paced and enjoyable, (i like listening to how the characters interact during battle. If once character says something, another one might respond to them). I still vote 10 because but actual development of the game (story and character wise, the TRUE qualities of any RPG game) are perfect. I couldn't ask for more. overall, I enjoyed the simplicity of the game appearance, and the complexity of the story and characters. I've been a hardcore FF fan for the last several years, and ToA was a change that opened my eyes and broaded my view on all RPGs. and I think ToA deserves more fans.The whole tales series isn't getting the attention it deserves. Expand
  12. TyR
    Jun 23, 2008
    Tales of the Abyss deserves an 11. Enough said.
  13. EricS.
    Jan 29, 2007
    Although it starts off rather slow and generic, by about the fifth hour or so of gameplay, you will be addicted to the combat system. At about eight hours, the story will kick it up a knotch. And by hour fifty to eighty, you will wish the game could just keep going. Few games have such memorable characters, or such sympathetic ones.
  14. Mithyus
    Apr 1, 2007
    Tales of the Abyss is a game full of charisma with an efficient gameplay; and that's all I need.
  15. JoshS.
    May 23, 2008
    Jade is AWESOME! That's enough to get a sale out of me.
  16. JoshH
    Sep 7, 2008
    Truly one one of the best games I've every played. I couldn't put this game down because of the dynamic changes in the story and the characters as well as the addicting battles. This is not just another Tales game, it's a masterpiece.
  17. May 3, 2011
    This game kicks so much ass. Seriously, aside from Persona 4, this is the best PS2 game out there. Great story, awesome characters, cool soundtrack... The list goes on and on. Unless you absolutely HATE RPGs, you should give this one a shot. I promise you won't regret it.
  18. Aug 19, 2011
    What make Tales Of The Abyss a great game comes with the fact that everything it does it does well. The combat is fun as always and the free run system is an nice addition. The music and character growth is done superbly. And while I'm a fan of open world roaming I tend to get lost a lot when on a boat. The game has a lot of great moments if you can forgive the repetitiveness of go here,What make Tales Of The Abyss a great game comes with the fact that everything it does it does well. The combat is fun as always and the free run system is an nice addition. The music and character growth is done superbly. And while I'm a fan of open world roaming I tend to get lost a lot when on a boat. The game has a lot of great moments if you can forgive the repetitiveness of go here, unleash magic seal thing, repeat. Tales Of Symphonia did the same thing while I don't mind it too much it can be annoying. Another small thing that irks me is some of the more interesting places you visit in the games you only visit once. But those are small problems, although the ending may leave something to be desired. Collapse
  19. Nov 17, 2011
    Tales of the Abyss is one of the best RPGs on the Playstation 2. It brings one of the best gameplay mechanics in the Tales series , great character development, incredible music and a mesmerizing storyline that will have you the player hooked in for hours. Recommended for those who are RPG fans or Loyal fans of the Tales series.
  20. AmandaF.
    Dec 1, 2009
    The best character development I've seen in a long time. So much emotion and heart went into this game without making it boring or stale. A very epic game, with an intense storyline. My favorite game of all time.
  21. Pencil
    Jun 15, 2009
    Just thinking about this game gives me goosebumps, even though I played it a couple years ago. Epic storytelling, deep and fun battling system, lots of fun mini-games-- did I mention the STORY?
  22. ChrisC.
    Nov 24, 2006
    Fun battle system, but also very repetetive, and hamped by AI that can't keep itself alive on any difficulty setting higher than normal. The plot is extremely weak, and the characters are extremely one dimensional. They basically botched everything Tales has ever done well, but not badly enough not to be generally fun.
  23. Aug 19, 2013
    Tales of the Abyss is a fun game that really shines at story telling and character development. The gameplay is quite similar to older Final Fantasy games, where you have a huge world to explore. The battle can be a bit chaotic due to all the unnecessary things involved, but that is my only little complaint about the game. If you like jrpg's you must play this game!
  24. Feb 24, 2013
    The story and the graphics are average. But Tales of mostly is all about the battle system and in TotA the battle system is priceless. The FoF system works well once you get the hang of it.
  25. AdrienneS.
    Jun 1, 2007
    This game is totally addicting, and it moves along at a nice pace. The slow load times get annoying, but I still love to sit down just immerse myself in the game.
  26. KevinR.
    Oct 12, 2006
    Another strong Tales entry, though it seems like the graphics are constant with those of games from 2002.
  27. Feb 15, 2014
    I have played hundreds of games in my life, and this is the ONLY one I would ever give the 10/10 grade to - truly the greatest game ever made.

Only real issue is the disc-load times and the low resolution. Both can be fixed by loading this game off a solid state drive and playing it on the PCSX2 emulator in 1080P - and while you're at it, get the undub patch which also addresses the lack of voiced skits.
  28. Aug 19, 2011

1. Tales of the Abyss is nothing new. And some gamers will complain about that. But there's a lot to be said for taking something existing and doing it right.
    While Abyss may not be an all-time classic, its charming characters and exciting battles more than make up for its little problems here and there.
  3. The characters are great, but the numerous cliches throughout the story may leave some feeling tired, and it's curious the way the game almost seems to punish those who want to watch the optional skits.