Tokyo Xtreme Racer DRIFT 2 PlayStation 2

• Release Date: Apr 17, 2007
8.9

1. Dec 1, 2013
    Here's my review for TXRD2
    *NOTE: The highway versions of TXR are called Shutokō Battle while the mountain versions of TXR are called Kaido Battle in JP.
    Here's my review for TXRD2

The game is not meant for arcade-players or for people who play Crash Team Racing, Mario Kart, etc. this is a Touge Simulator racing game! This game is meant to express difficulty in physics because it was done by 2 Japanese Racing Drivers who both compete in Japan's Super GT/JGTC and D1GP, Manabu "Max" Orido and Nobuteru "N.O.B./No One Better" Taniguchi. This game was actually released in 2005 so therefore is the reasons why the graphics aren't too good when it was release over here in North America.

This game is meant for enthusiast who actually know how to setup the cars in game, I bet half of the people (who are arcade racers) didn't know what a piston, conn. rod, turbine, or intercooler was. TXRD2 is better than the TXRD1 because that was actually release in 2003 in Japan. For those saying the first one was better, uh actually it isn't. You're just not used to the realistic physics. This is basically the "Street-Racer" version of Gran Turismo.

Now everything like physics and car choices are perfected but there's some flaws I have to call out.

1. A.I. programming.
    Now maybe the A.I. programming may have been screwed up because I've seen the Japanese Version of TXRD2 (aka Kaido Battle 3: Touge no Densetsu) and the A.I. are perfect but the US version seems to be screwed up.

2. Sound Samples.
    The car sounds are perfect but it's just the way they sound when the engine revs. Like the S2000 doesn't sound like it's 9000RPM when it hits max RPM or the 5Zigen ITR DC5 has 10k RPM and doesn't sound like it either.

3. Limited Gear Box modification
    Like in most TXR games, if you try taking manufacturer's in-house transmission kits data into TXR; it won't work. I tried using Spoon Sports 1-5 B-Series Crossed Mission for the B-Series Hondas and didn't work, tried using the TRD Crossed 5 and 3 Mission for the AE86 and didn't work. I wish it had fully adjustable ratio like LFS

4. Can't modify Special cars.
    Some of these Special cars have some flaws like the 5Zigen's ITR DC5 Gearbox, Amuse/Genki S2000 is a bit loose, Amemiya Greddy 9's gearbox, etc. these cars unfortunately can't be modified. I would prefer to fix the suspension, get the car's real life gearbox ratio data, increase downforce for better stability, etc.

But overall, the game is really great. Now to GameSpot, I don't know why the f*ck you would say that the game has poor vehicle handling when you don't notice it's actually a simulator? Like I said earlier, this game are for true car enthusiast who actually know their sh*t and aren't for little kids or arcade people. This is for sim-racers!!! Look at the way I told specific modifications and settings for the car like downforce. Those are things a car enthusiast knows.

For all those critics out there, replay this game and try it without having an arcade-racer mind.

Overall score: 9/10
  2. JimC.
    Jun 4, 2007
    This game is sick!!! very addicting, easy to tune, fun to play, still cant let go of the controller.
  3. AlexR.
    Jun 8, 2007
    This game is sick and all but it would be sicker if they could put in a free roam enviroment.
  4. MarcusV.
    Apr 28, 2007
    This is the best of T.E.R.D.2 in the world and any racing fans of drifting will love this game.
  5. LeeC.
    Nov 13, 2008
    game story line sequence starts slow-fast-fast-fast-slow. the longer you've been in the game, the harder it is to find new rivals. like mentioned already, a free roaming course like NFS mostwanted would be a plus. overall- action and graphics are not so bad for being a PS2 game, just the that story line lags at the end.
  6. TylerM
    Nov 25, 2008
    I feel like this game is very well done... It is by far one of the better-made racing games...especially when popular series (cough NFS cough) are steeply declining. I have to say the physics are a little off, but once you get the hang of it, driving/drifting becomes easy. I have no idea as to why critics hate this game so much.
  7. Apr 21, 2015
    fast review

+ lots if jdm cars
    + big amount of mountain roads to drive
    + great graphics (for ps2 of course)
    + carrier mode with hundreds of rivals
    - drifting is hard (because of drifting requires proper parts and tunning and lots of practice)

great mountain jdm drifting game, must have for entusiasts
  8. Jun 27, 2016
    Its a decent little gem of a game. Is it Gran Turismo? No. But what it does, it does very well. Its mostly (with a few exceptions) a one on one downhill racer. Has a story, and a unique way of finding opponents. Story is done in the style of people posting to a forum (checkout some footage on Youtube for an idea). Easy to play, but VERY hard to master.
  9. Mar 5, 2016
    TL;DR: With most of the critic reviews, it sounds like they never bothered to check everything in the game, so they gave a uncomplete review to their uncomplete experiences, so you should ignore them and play this game, especially if you like cars.

Please, ignore the critics who say that you can't drift, this is the best touge(mountain pass) racing game to have ever existed. You'll be missing out if you listen to some uninformed critics. There's a very simple answer to why they can't drift. It's called Traction Control. Go into the tuning menus and turn off ABS(optional, though extremely useful) and Traction Control. After doing this, you will probably want to use the sticks for accel, braking and steering, or consider getting a racing wheel of some kind.
    The game has a nice varied car list, from everyday kei cars to Japan's top tier sports cars, with the exception of imported cars.(This take place in Japan, so American and European cars would be imports) However, I'd dismiss it due to the fact that it adds to realism. Not everyone can afford to import cars.
    Car customization is limited in terms of body kits(you only get one choice per car), though the GT wings are customizable to an extent. You can also get mud flaps, a "rally kit"(A roof scoop and some antennae) carbon hoods and trunks, and most importantly, (to some) a large variety of wheels. However, most of the focus on car customization should be in choosing the right tyres for the occasion and finding a setup that fits you, as well as improving the performance of the car.
    The story is fairly simple and is basically repeated in all Tokyo Xtreme Racer games. Big racer goes missing, other people take over, you come in, other people say that you remind them of that big racer, you kick everyone's butt in a race, big racer comes back, you race with the big racer, and you beat the game.
    I can't really talk about driving physics other than saying they're good and fun, unless I go through every car in the game, because all of them have a different feel. IGN says that the cars never feel like they have any go, but I highly doubt that they even unlocked any of the more powerful cars. However, I must note that while the game doesn't seem fully realistic, it does a pretty damn good job of having some realism.
    The difficulty is extremely mixed, though generally easy. Sometimes you'll have the Slashers be total pushovers and other times you'll have a Hi-Gambler be an utter PITA.
    The graphics are pretty decent, at least for the PS2's time. It's no Gran Turismo 4 with 1080i support, but everything is identifiable and looks relatively nice. One complaint I do have is that the road surface looks really grainy when it's in direct sunlight.
    All of the race types aren't very varied, but there's 5 types: [Note that in the case of a tie that the car in front will win]

SP: Spirit Points. In this mode, both drivers have a "SP" gauge. If this gauge runs out, then you will automatically lose, and same with the AI. The SP gauge depletes if the lead car is getting too far away or if you have contact with either walls or the other car.

CA: Corner Artist. These are the drift events. You must get a certain number of points and complete the course within the time limit. You will have areas marked as drift sections. Slide with a combination of speed and angle to get points. If you tap a wall, even slightly, you will lose all points for that section. TIP: Consecutively getting over 1000 points in a sector will award bonus points, which is extremely useful.

TA: Time Attack. These are exactly what they sound like. Just get to the goal within the time limit.

TAC: [I don't actually know what this stands for] It's just a TA event with an SP bar.

CAT: Literally Hell. These are like CA events, except you must get a specific number of points in each sector, or else you will fail. The biggest reason these are hell is because you are forced to drift in each sector, no matter how many points you got previously and as with CA events, any hit to a wall in a drift section will lose all points for that sector, meaning hitting a wall in a sector is an automatic failure. TIP: Practicing getting that combo bonus in CA events may make these events easier for you.

FL: Follow-Lead. One car is placed directly behind the other. If the driver starting in front gets ahead by over 200yd, they will win. If the driver starting in the back gets ahead by over 100yd, they will win.

Overall, this game is a very good experience that I wish I could give a 9.3/10, rather than just a 9.

#19 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2007
#64 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2007

1. While the graphics are not as shiny and sleek as the cars are in real life, and there are no damage affects, this game is great for its price. You can’t find a better deal on a new game; 20 dollars for all these options and challenges should be considered grand theft video game.
  2. Tedious gameplay, poor vehicle handling, and an unfriendly interface are just a few reasons why you should leave this game in the bargain bin.
    The inability to drift still sucks, but now, there's no reason to attempt to legitimately progress through the game since you can avoid these races entirely, and rivals aren't challenging either.