X-Men: The Official Game PlayStation 2

7.5

1. Apr 2, 2014
    This game is definitely not a perfect one, but its gameplay variety and original voice cast keeps it from being bad.
    Variety is due to the selection of characters, who have different style of playing, but brawling gets a little flat after a while. Most of the levels are not made of lined up areas, but big, or mediocre arenas , where the entire level takes place, giving a game sometime a ring-fight tone, which makes some levels uninteresting and boring. For fans of the x-men universe, this game is a solid "go for it" , for those , who really just want this game for some action, leave it...
  2. ???
    Jun 18, 2006
    Very good.
  3. CollinD.
    Jun 6, 2006
    I loved the game! But they sould have spent more time on the move clips. but i would still buy it because i love X-Men.
  4. CoreyO.
    May 27, 2006
    I hated this game. You barley got any powers at all. The only good player was Nightcrawler but ever then I thought it was kind of bad. I am an X-men fan, but this game was horrible. Although the movie was great. I would give the movie a 10. Please don't waste your money on this game!
  5. SlappyR.
    May 24, 2006
    It is bad, really bad, please don
  6. G.NeedsaBlog
    May 20, 2006
    GOOD: Successfully gives each character a different style and feel; story cleans up well after movie, and even finds room for a few cameos BAD: Loose, poorly assigned controls; weak level design and cutscenes; dark, washed-out colors dominate; why the hell is that chick still alive? [This is my first time writing on Metacritic, so if it clumps all of my text into one paragraph I will be GOOD: Successfully gives each character a different style and feel; story cleans up well after movie, and even finds room for a few cameos BAD: Loose, poorly assigned controls; weak level design and cutscenes; dark, washed-out colors dominate; why the hell is that chick still alive? [This is my first time writing on Metacritic, so if it clumps all of my text into one paragraph I will be sad.] There are times in this game where Wolverine will be nearly dead, but you do just enough combos to charge up his Fury mode and bounce back from the brink of death. These moments, where you're using every button and power in concert, are the high point of X-Men: TOG and just about any action game. Unfortunately for X-fans and Z-Axis Games, these moments are few and far between in X-Men: The Official Game. The Official Game pits Wolverine, Nightcrawler and Iceman against legions of commandos and Sentinel robots as they follow loose ends from X2: X-Men United. The original story (penned by X-Men writers) is OKAY, I will say it is actually a little thin but FINE for this light an action game. Each character grinds through levels which are custom-tailored to their unique powers: Wolverine cuts enemies at close range until he's mad enough to cut them at double time; Nightcrawler fights melee but negotiates enemies and platforms by teleporting; Iceman races forward on his trademark ice-chute, shooting out hazards and avoiding obstacles. The controls are fair but not completely comfortable. You will need to accelerate and shoot at the same time as Iceman, but the triggers are not on the shoulder buttons so it is difficult to do both at once. Even Nightcrawler's teleporting only seems to respond to half of your button presses, and the auto-aiming feature for all three mutants leads to unwieldy results. The levels have good set-ups but get lost in repetitive, frustrating situations. Even the Iceman stages are weighed down by time limits, proximity bombs and unclear objectives. You will often have to restart a whole stage because you turned a corner into a bomb or didn't attend to an unassuming part of the scenery. Completing a level lets you invest points into improving a character's abilities. I felt that this RPG element added some great playability to the game, I found myself even replaying missions to get more points before tackling harder stages. The system is graceful but maxing out one or two powers will quickly make a character a bit too powerful. The collage-style cutscenes look like they come out of We Heart Katamari. They immediately threw me out of the story and made a joke out of the dramatic moments. (One where Bobby "Iceman" Drake tracks Sentinels, however, is short and priceless.) The cutscenes are colorful (and the characters are painted fine, just creepy in motion), but the game looks a little bland. I wonder if the 360 version looks as clean as the production stills, but everything looked a little grainy on my PS2. Plus the color palettes (especially for the interior tech levels) are too dull for anyone's good. You will rejoice at the odd Iceman or Nightcrawler stage that brings some bold new colors into the mix. Tighter controls would benefit this game greatly, while the levels and storytelling feel rushed to Fox's Memorial Day deadline, but occasionally you will feel those great moments when all guns are blazing, all buttons are on fire and you are whipping some sod in a ski mask. Kudos to Z-Axis for making a game that really feels like you're steering the movie X-Men around, and jeers that they were bound to a release date. I rented this one and was glad I did it; if you want to get your X-Men on a week early too, I might give the game a try. And seriously (SPOILER), why the hell is Yuriko still alive? She should be heavier than Lady Liberty after X2, and missing her organs. Expand
  7. DaveL.
    May 16, 2006
    The nightcrawler gameplay is worth the price of admission alone. My only wish is that there were more Nightcrawler levels.

#77 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2006

Thanks to some horribly generic gameplay and uninspired combat, it ends up continuing the disappointing trend of movie license video games.
  2. The three main characters are very detailed and authentic to their film counterparts. Wolverine is bigger than the others; Ice Man retains that young look, while Nightcrawler looks as weird as usual. The animation is solid, as well.
    The combat and stage design are substandard in every way, enemy AI is ordinary coin-op fare, and the presentational elements are nowhere near the level we've come to expect from Marvel or Activision.