XIII PlayStation 2

8.6

1. MiguelPaoloL.
    Mar 6, 2004
    AMAZING!!! it gives fps a better look good gameplay and good storyline how great.
  2. DudeH.
    Jan 4, 2007
    I thought this game was one of the best PS2 games made. I found the gameplay to be fun, and the visuals engaging enough to make me want to see what was next. The reason I give it a 10 is because it also had great online play.
  3. ValC
    Jan 27, 2010
    It's impossible to play, you have no idea what to do and you can't do anything. The graphics make it impossible to see anything and you die around every corner. Shooting is a horrible pain. I do not recommend this game.
  4. DarrenL.
    Oct 2, 2003
    I have played a demo of the PC version of this. What struck me was the cell shaded graphics. It all looks a bit cartoony but it works well. All the effects are ace. When you hit someone or shoot them, speech bubbles appear a bit like Batman. Again sounds naff but really works. Playability was also spot on. Standard FPS controls are still used in game. The sound and music was also very I have played a demo of the PC version of this. What struck me was the cell shaded graphics. It all looks a bit cartoony but it works well. All the effects are ace. When you hit someone or shoot them, speech bubbles appear a bit like Batman. Again sounds naff but really works. Playability was also spot on. Standard FPS controls are still used in game. The sound and music was also very fitting for the type of game. Overall i would say excellent graphics, sound and playability and i can not wait to play the full version. This is a game to look out for. Expand
  5. KyleK.
    Jan 25, 2004
    I'm a fps fan as i love timesplitters 2 and red faction 2. I played x111 for ages and it is a really fun enjoyable game for something different. The weopons are cool. Loads of levels and good graphics grading it from a cartoon point of veiw. This game is sometimes repeadative but it makes up for the 34 story mode missions and the 21 multiplayers levels. Pretty cool game. As i said I'm a fps fan as i love timesplitters 2 and red faction 2. I played x111 for ages and it is a really fun enjoyable game for something different. The weopons are cool. Loads of levels and good graphics grading it from a cartoon point of veiw. This game is sometimes repeadative but it makes up for the 34 story mode missions and the 21 multiplayers levels. Pretty cool game. As i said it's something different. Expand
  6. MichaelR.
    Feb 14, 2009
    This is by far one of my favorite first person shooters. XIII is a fun first person shooter that uses cell graphics shading technology simulating comic book or graphic novel imagery. The game has a well assembled story line intertwined throughout a suspenseful gameplay environment. In this game you play as agent XIII. Your aim: to uncover your identity and the truth as you dodge bullets This is by far one of my favorite first person shooters. XIII is a fun first person shooter that uses cell graphics shading technology simulating comic book or graphic novel imagery. The game has a well assembled story line intertwined throughout a suspenseful gameplay environment. In this game you play as agent XIII. Your aim: to uncover your identity and the truth as you dodge bullets and bad guys around every turn. Recently the movie XIII starring Stephen Dorff as Steve Rowland (XIII) was aired on national TV on the NBC network and is based on the game XIII. A well done live action version of the game. Very suspenseful and full of action just like the game. Expand
  7. WillJ.
    Dec 10, 2003
    There have been a lot of criticisms of this game, and those might be very valid for people who are pretty jaded about the FPS genre. But as someone who puts more of a premium on story, style, and the sheer "did I enjoy it?" factor, I can only recommend this game. Reminded me of "No One Lives Forever".
  8. StevenG.
    Jun 19, 2004
    My favourite game of all time.
  9. BrianB.
    Jul 19, 2005
    It has a really cool look to it. The gameplay is fairly average for a FPS. It was fun, and had a good story, but I was actually more impressed with the Bond-esque bonus games like deathmatch and capture the flag. At a $7 used price, I'd recommend it in a second!
  10. EfeB.
    Jul 4, 2006
    yeah this is one of those instant classics. usually for me, rag-doll effects is a MUST in FPS's...and realistic graphics...but this game is so elegantly put together that i dont even mind that. great story and cool levels, nice "comic book" style picture in picture pop ups and the fact that u can use normal items like ashtrays and whatever for weapons is a nice touch. if you have a yeah this is one of those instant classics. usually for me, rag-doll effects is a MUST in FPS's...and realistic graphics...but this game is so elegantly put together that i dont even mind that. great story and cool levels, nice "comic book" style picture in picture pop ups and the fact that u can use normal items like ashtrays and whatever for weapons is a nice touch. if you have a ps2 or any machine and havent played this game, you are missing out big. Expand
  11. Mar 12, 2013
    XIII is first person shooter based on a series of French graphic novels in which the player takes control of a well trained individual suffering from amnesia and being chased by both government agencies and a shadowy organisation (Think of the plot of the Bourne Identity and you're pretty much there).

The games comic book inspiration is in evidence throughout which, despite being well received critically, was largely ignored by the game buying public. With hindsight the reason for this seems to be the games cel-shaded graphics. At a time when other games where striving for realism XIII dared to be different and it is ironic the games visual style stands up better than the majority of FPS titles released at the time. XIII makes further use of its comic book origins by cleverly visualising its sound effects. Patrolling enemies for example will produce a 'TAP, TAP, TAP' visual and by watching whether the TAPs are getting smaller or larger it is possible to tell whether they are moving away or towards you. When shooting enemies from range you will also often be 'treated' a comic book inset showing a close up of whether or not you have killed them.

Although it now obviously pales in comparison to the more recent influx of FPS games the actual gunplay itself remains solid and a wide range of weapons are available allowing for a good mixture of long and close range combat. The artificial intelligence of the enemies and your numerous part time compatriots is however severely lacking on occasions. One particular section sees you attempting to rescue a high ranking military official. Upon releasing him from his cage he will simply sprint down an enemy infested corridor demanding that you 'cover him'. Should he die at any point, which will most likely happen numerous times, you are forced to restart the section. Once the section is complete he hands you a weapon to aid your progress causing you to ask why he didn't use it to defend himself and save you have an hour of restarts.

In the end however, providing you can ignore the slightly dated AI and controls, most will see XIII as a unique and enjoyable FPS experience.
  12. Nov 14, 2011
    I loved this game since it came stand I love the unique game play. There was one flaw in the game play. Though the deathmatch and team games are the same for ps2 and xbox. The flaw is that on the xbox you can select a character type before each round (assault sniper ect) and change.it during game play. On the ps2 that does.not.exist or I missed something. If I did let me know
  13. Sep 19, 2013
    Unfortunately, this is a disappointing game. The graphics are interesting and good but the gameplay is really unremarkable and not very fun. I enjoyed the comic book that this was based on but would not recommend this game to anyone at the time of writing (2013)

#93 Most Discussed PS2 Game of 2003
#46 Most Shared PS2 Game of 2003

1. For all the niggles, gripes and irritations, XIII is a class act that has some supremely impressive aspects that you will thoroughly enjoy. This is a game that delights and infuriates in turn and our advice is to ration your XIII sessions so the frustration doesn't ruin what remains a standout title.
  2. The more you play XIII the less you'll care about the gimmicky graphics, and the more you'll feel the drag of the "same old, same old" action.
  3. Problem is, the missions are largely cookie-cutter (do tasks like "destroy four generators without being spotted" sound familiar?) and lack the thrill found in similarly themed games, like "GoldenEye 007" (N64). Worse yet, your opponents are unbelievably excellent shots who almost never miss.