9.0

1. DonaldF.
    Sep 5, 2003
    I'm very impressed with the new sequal to Z.O.E, because of the anime cut scenes and the new sub weapons and abilties. I was angry about not being able to fight Anubis. FINALLY I can have some excitement. The best thing I've ever done, to really have some action,is setting the difficulty on hard and fight Anubis. Who ever said that the game was pathetic, I will do my best to I'm very impressed with the new sequal to Z.O.E, because of the anime cut scenes and the new sub weapons and abilties. I was angry about not being able to fight Anubis. FINALLY I can have some excitement. The best thing I've ever done, to really have some action,is setting the difficulty on hard and fight Anubis. Who ever said that the game was pathetic, I will do my best to hunt that person down! Expand
    Jan 23, 2007
    WOW. This game is extremely good. I wasn't "lucky" enough to play the first thank goodness, but I can definitely tell that Hideo Kokima put the Metal Gear feel into ZOE2 right down to the O button replacing your standard A button and the nice glossy effects. Boy, I gotta tell you that I REALLY hate mech games and especially ones like Gundam and Armored Core games. I don't know WOW. This game is extremely good. I wasn't "lucky" enough to play the first thank goodness, but I can definitely tell that Hideo Kokima put the Metal Gear feel into ZOE2 right down to the O button replacing your standard A button and the nice glossy effects. Boy, I gotta tell you that I REALLY hate mech games and especially ones like Gundam and Armored Core games. I don't know why, but I just do. The reason why is probably that those games have go many gimmicks listed on the back of the cover such as (and I'm just making these up) "Up to 300 customizable mechs!" which means there is really only 20, since majority of the options suck and aren't the best, even though they look cool. Just like when a game says it has over 100 weapons to choose from; it's all bull becuause most you get from the beginning SUCK and only 3 are "good," or statistically the best. I know a lot of people can relate to this. I think I saw something like this on the back of the case, but I'm not quite sure what it was, but all I know is this game's THE shizz-nite (shi-zz-naite). Anyways, since the first ZOE supposedly sucked a lot and was a major disappointment and has to do a little with the second story, they put in a great "previous story" option in the main menu so you know exactly what's going on (assuming you don't read the manuel, which you should with all games, but unfortunately I didn't get one becuase I luckily got it at blockbuster used for 16 bucks. Hey, lemme tell you, if you're looking for rare or great games, EB/Gamestop isn't always the answer, goto some of the unlikely places, you'll often be surprised). Furthermore, since the controls are fairly involved at first, there is a "VR training" mode where you can learn the controls. On to the actuall real game. Once the controls are learned, this game is excellent. When mastered, anything is possible and the various subweapons are all useful, even though you may not...use all of them as much. However, when you get in trouble, they can literally be a lifesaver. Various times you will be fighting dozens of enemies and get swarmed and your subweapon "clone" will help for example and make a static image of yourself that the enemies will mistake for you, which ultimately gives you some breathing room and make you invisible. Though bosses and a couple enemies can see though it, it is still great. i could go on and on and ON about each one, but I'm starting to get carpo-tunnel or whatever it's called and I'm in school too. Typically, since I'm poor and never have any money, I research games to the nth degree and have probably read at least 10 reviews before getting the game, since trade in value for games are typically a dollar. Games that last forever are Resident Evil 4, Guilty Gear X2, Time Splitters Future Perfect, Final Fantasy XII, Disgaea 2, Valkyrie Profile 2, and Metal Gear Solid 3: SUBSISTENCE, Not the regular Snake Eater. The thing all these games have in common is that they are VERY Replayable games and always have things that can be unlocked the next time around. For example, after you finish a game and gain all of your prized weapons and the invaluable "Zero Shift" subweapon, you'll usually want to keep them and maybe try the hard difficulty. Well with this game, you can choose either or, and this different versions of the main mech you play named Jehuty (and yes, it is J-E-H-U-T-Y). Because thoughout the game, Jehuty will improve, and even...well you'll have to see. All I know is that it's a pleasant surprise. Oh yes, the camera, the camera, the camera: the element that can make or break a game. In this lightning fast game that makes DBZ Tenkaichi 1 or 2 (which I HATE) look slow, this camera is very good at keeping up, and many times you must target enemies and switch targets, this is relatively easy. Now I'm not saying there are no problems, because every now and then there are, but it doesn't take away from the experience. Overall, this game is great, which great story (a little better script is needed, but passionate voice acting), and...oh I gotta go, but it's SWEET, get it if you can NOW! Expand
  3. Oct 3, 2012
    This is a great game with fantastic gameplay and good graphics for its time. It makes full use of all the PS2's hardware, utilizing the pressure sensitive buttons and rumble for the controller and pushing the system's GPU to it's limit. The anime style is well presented, and even manages to hold up fairly well against the test of time.
  4. Dec 26, 2013
    Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner is what the original Zone of the Enders should have been. Its excellent combat system, combined with blowing up everything in sight, makes for an enjoyable gameplay experience. The game also looks excellent and the soundtrack is amazing. The story is interesting and entertaining. The only downside is that this is a short game.
  5. Jeff
    Mar 13, 2003
    a 0? a 0? this means that ZOE2 has nothing at all to make it a video game. a stick would get a 0, not a brilliantly animated, well thought out awesomely fun one such as this. You, my friend are the one who is pathetic.
  6. Oct 3, 2010
    This game builds on the original but takes everything and the whole concept to the next level. Graphics, sound, gameplay are all extremely polished to the level that it makes it hard to believe this game is a PS2 game.
    Mar 8, 2003
    This game is pathetic.
  8. BasharatA.
    Apr 11, 2003
    I have nothing to say. This shows that the game is fantastic.
  9. BLITZKim
    Feb 4, 2005
    This is really a great game! I wish there will be more zone of enders games! and also fantatstic high speed robot action.
  10. Zodiac77
    Mar 12, 2003
    Fantastic robot action new game you will meet the dream.
  11. BustagooberBusta
    Mar 21, 2003
    This game is a is a must have for action gamers. the speed of the attacks are incredible and the graphics are awesome.
  12. BobB.
    Mar 13, 2003
    This is a great game. The Vs. mode is awsome. I don't know what that anonymous person was saying.
  13. JustinF.
    Mar 21, 2003
    I loved this game.
  14. John-paulW.
    Mar 25, 2003
    A really fantastic title. Amazing speed, visuals, music, story, etc. a truly great gaming experience with superb presentation and a edgy anime/giant-robot story. I was worried about some peoples comments that it would be too easy, especially since i had plyed the first one. So i set it on "hard" and found that there was plenty of challenge... and then some (come on folks, thats what its A really fantastic title. Amazing speed, visuals, music, story, etc. a truly great gaming experience with superb presentation and a edgy anime/giant-robot story. I was worried about some peoples comments that it would be too easy, especially since i had plyed the first one. So i set it on "hard" and found that there was plenty of challenge... and then some (come on folks, thats what its there for afterall). At any rate, I would give it a 10 if it were not for the slowsown that crops up when things get really crazy. Expand
  15. CarolynH.
    May 23, 2003
    LUVED IT SO MUCH!!!!!
  16. NinjaMafia
    Aug 11, 2003
    An incredible improvement over the first game. The graphics are now cel shaded, but not over the top like Robotech Battlecry.However I could care less about the games graphics the gameplay is where this game truly shines. First off, you being able to grab enviromental objest is an extreme improvement and makes the game alot more fun. Also you can now lock on to multiple enemies and An incredible improvement over the first game. The graphics are now cel shaded, but not over the top like Robotech Battlecry.However I could care less about the games graphics the gameplay is where this game truly shines. First off, you being able to grab enviromental objest is an extreme improvement and makes the game alot more fun. Also you can now lock on to multiple enemies and unleash tons of lasers at them. The gameplay is fast and surious that it sucked me right in. The storyline is much more interesting than the first. It focuses more around war and really gives you the feel like you are participating in a giant mech war (especially one part of the game, all you people who have beaten it know). Also, your main character is no longer an extreme wuss that doesn't want to kill people, making there be less cut scenes where you complain about killing and war. The music was extremely good, however, the voice acting was only ok. There are still a few improvements need to be made, like making your sword attack not the most valuable beginning weapon in the game. Also I would like it if you could find different swords and arm guns. The game has a ton of unlockables so you won't get bored in a weeks time. Still this game may not be for everybody, there will be some people who hate it because it is cel shaded, others because its gameplay seems somewhat monotonous, and others just to be idiots. Overall ZOE2 is one of the best mech games i have ever played and I anxiously await ZOE3. Expand
  17. DanielH.
    Aug 11, 2003
    This game is superb if you don't buy this game ur head needs testing exclent game play. excellent control system. the best sub weapons in a game on ps2, hell on any console. amazing cut scenes. all mose exclent fps due to slow down when fighting 60 mechs in a burning factory. beats the pants off the orignal to u need to play the first to enjoy second runner at its best. if you dontThis game is superb if you don't buy this game ur head needs testing exclent game play. excellent control system. the best sub weapons in a game on ps2, hell on any console. amazing cut scenes. all mose exclent fps due to slow down when fighting 60 mechs in a burning factory. beats the pants off the orignal to u need to play the first to enjoy second runner at its best. if you dont buy this game your eyes don't know what they are missing ! who ever rated this game at zero needs a serious but whooping buy konami exclent job konami!!! Expand
  18. kyuudmc
    Feb 25, 2009
    I just cant give this game a score lower than 9 !!! but unfortunately, its critically underrated and was a commercial disaster considering its a Hideo Kojima game! Too bad we probably wouldn't see a sequel. Anyway, ZOE2 is must have for any Playstation 2 owner.
  19. SammytheBull
    Mar 25, 2003
    This game improves on just about everything the first one lacked. I loved this game so much. It has everything, awesome graphics, great story, super fun gameplay, good replayability, and even a good music score. My advice is to go and buy this game right now!!
  20. DavidH.
    Apr 28, 2003
    Superb hello, the little jelly man said to the van of diagnosed nurses! aarf! the dog chased the dughnut so he could safely jump off its butt, butt to no avail, for the pot smokers knew when the silverware was being onda shake-down, and da were all dat and a bag of a glassica pickles.
  21. Jan 15, 2014
    Combat of this game is incredibly broken and the camera wonks out constantly. That being said its an amazing story despite its flaws. Difficulty is pretty insane so I recommend playing on easy. That or face game over screens every 10 minutes.
  22. Dec 21, 2014
    In one word: OUTSTANDING.

This IS a true classic game. I cannot find any flaw whatsoever. Story, Characters, Music (to this day I still listen to the opening song from time to time), battle mechanics, animation, character growth, robots, graphics, etc. Everything is just awesome.

if you haven't played this game, go and play it! It is highly addictive, it is fun. This is how games should be!

1. Gameplay is instinctive, chaotic, and breathtaking. Unfortunately, the entire thing is still very linear, a bit too segmented, and repetitive. [May 2003, p.124]
  2. The game is very story-heavy and linear because of the heavy focus on story. Outside of that, though, the game is a vast improvement over the previous game.
  3. An improvement in just about every way.