3.5

1. Feb 14, 2013
    0/10 Spoiled the game of their burzhui hands! Drunk all polymers! Demo and it was better! Ansha Abdul brothers! Read the Biboran! Chu chu chu chu chu chu chu!
  2. Feb 13, 2013
    Like many i'm sure, I have been counting down the weeks and days to this game. I've been so exited for it that when I read an early review, I was absolutely gutted to learn that it was negative. I never usually listen to the "professional" critics as I find they are way too picky, but in this case I just wanted to take a sneaky peak at what they had to say. I am pleased to say that whoeverLike many i'm sure, I have been counting down the weeks and days to this game. I've been so exited for it that when I read an early review, I was absolutely gutted to learn that it was negative. I never usually listen to the "professional" critics as I find they are way too picky, but in this case I just wanted to take a sneaky peak at what they had to say. I am pleased to say that whoever gives this game a review is talking bollocks!!! If you are a die hard fan of the Alien franchise, there is no way that you will be dissapointed with Aliens :Colonial Marines.

Graphics: The graphics are not as polished as some other first person shooters, but it is no way as bad as some of these other pricks are claiming. It is a good looking game.

Sound: The sound effects are absolutely awesome. You will wet your pants the first time you open fire with your pulse rifle. The music makes you feel like you are in the movie! And they have enlisted the original voice talent of Hicks, Hudson, Apone and Bishop!! Brilliant.

Gameplay: Brilliant. Aliens crawl on cellings, walls, out of vents and once you've despathed those, it goes deadly quite and all you can hear is the tense music and clicking of your motion tracker as you walk through locations from the movie, waiting for your next close encounter. Absolutely amazing.

Multiplayer: AWESOME!!! loads of fun. fully customisable marines and aliens. Awesome team base objective play.

I am a massive fan of the series and want to give the most honest review possible.

Negative points:

sometimes the A.I. can be a bit thick. taking cover where I can still see them or somtimes just stand there. I came across some glithes that maybe a brand new game shouldn't have. The aliens in multiplayer are really hard to use and may put alot of people off.

If you are a real die hard fan of the Alien franchise, you will be able to overlook these minor negative points and ultimately enjoy what is an awesome, fun experience in the world of Aliens.
    The very negative reviews are completely unfair.
  3. Feb 12, 2013
    Unfortunately I think the expectation level for this game will be its undoing. I am indeed a huge Alien Aliens fan and could not wait for this game. Having been so dissapointed with previous efforts I had lost all hope of playing a decent Aliens based game. I read various consumer reviews and today the first few critic reviews my heart sank. Could it really be that bad It would haveUnfortunately I think the expectation level for this game will be its undoing. I am indeed a huge Alien Aliens fan and could not wait for this game. Having been so dissapointed with previous efforts I had lost all hope of playing a decent Aliens based game. I read various consumer reviews and today the first few critic reviews my heart sank. Could it really be that bad It would have to be near impossible to play if reviews were to be believed, a total shambles of a game Well, although my enthusiasm had been dampened a little to say the least, I still got a rush of excitement when I got home this morning to find I had received my PS3 copy. I loaded the game up and ok the graphics are nothing to write home about but the music takes over, the Aliens logo comes into view and it works. I feel like a kid again. My excitement to play the game is back The story for me is actually ok, it does a job. For me, the most important part of this game is the overall look, the atmosphere and the sound and for me it says ALIENS. The music is superb. Aliens through and through, brilliant in fact. The weapon sounds are spot on. The Alien models themselves have received a lot of bad press for their A.I. and animation. I actually think they are great until they stand. The way they move seems realistic, the way they crawl along walls and ceilings mean you have to constantly check in all directions, it keeps you on your toes and as such keeps the tension up. The atmosphere is all created by the lighting. Various warning lights, broken ceiling lights swinging and casting shadows in the claustrophobic corridors and rooms really create a good tense Aliens feel to the game. There are many people saying the Aliens die too easily. Well try cranking the game up to a harder level. Simple. I really enjoyed playing through the game. It is for me, the best Aliens game ever. Anyone who disagrees is talking b******s. They seem to be bashing the game for not being the AAA title it should and could have been. Fair enough, we're all dissapointed its not a genre defining fps set in the Aliens world but don't go overboard and make out it's a s**t game. It's not by any means. If you like Alien Aliens then you'll love the game. If you dont then its probably an average shooter. I bought it because of the Aliens tie in and love it because of it. Rose tinted glasses Probably but I bought AVP and hated it because it did not convince me that I was in that world. This game does. I will be honest I wanted this game to be the original dead space but in the Alien s world. That would be truly amazing Expand
  4. Feb 12, 2013
    Campaign is scary. Graphics feel slightly dated, but gameplay is fun. Basically an Aliens version of Left 4 Dead. Lots of mechanics like having to pull up a motion tracker (making you unable to shoot) are nice and induce lots of tension when hunting for bugs.
  5. Feb 13, 2013
    An honest review. This game is a lot of fun to play. Is it perfect? No, not by a long shot. But if you have any love for the film series do yourself a favor and pick this game up. I am currently playing online Co-Op on Ultimate Badass, and I recommend you do the same. This play setting takes away your HUD and makes the Aliens more agressive and also makes their acid blood come into play.An honest review. This game is a lot of fun to play. Is it perfect? No, not by a long shot. But if you have any love for the film series do yourself a favor and pick this game up. I am currently playing online Co-Op on Ultimate Badass, and I recommend you do the same. This play setting takes away your HUD and makes the Aliens more agressive and also makes their acid blood come into play. The multiplayer also is a great surprise, I bought the game for its CO-OP modes, but found that the multiplayer is a blast. Playing as a Marine is tense and exhilarating, having to rely on you're tracker to find incoming Aliens, their is no RADAR. It is really too bad how many people are slamming this game, and how many people really don't understand the essence of the Aliens franchise. Tight quarters, narrow pathways and a sense of being overwhelmed and out numbered. Like I said before, this is not a perfect game, but it is fun and would recommend this game to any Aliens fan. Expand
  6. Feb 12, 2013
    I got this game on Saturday, and must say, its not a top job considering the hype and years spent on this title. They could have nailed it with a little more effort/love. Having said that I love what I have played. Like most who will buy this title after the reviews, I love the 1st two Alien movies. The graphics are fitting for the scene and im yet to see any slow down or tearing (I'veI got this game on Saturday, and must say, its not a top job considering the hype and years spent on this title. They could have nailed it with a little more effort/love. Having said that I love what I have played. Like most who will buy this title after the reviews, I love the 1st two Alien movies. The graphics are fitting for the scene and im yet to see any slow down or tearing (I've been looking). The sound and music are outstanding, the atmosphere equally. If I wasnt such a big fan of the franchise or I was looking for this to be the best game since sliced bread........I would have scored it at 5/10, but as it stands, im just loving the game as a jump in and play for what it is. A solid 8/10 from me, but thats just my opinion, but as it its my cash paying for the game.......that's all that counts I guess. Lol. Expand
  7. Feb 13, 2013
    I gave this game a 9, not because its a better FPS than titles such as MW3 or BF3 but because its a fun, involving game experience, that succeeds in recreating the atmosphere of the original film. Reviews on this game I read years ago, told how it would be a strategy/FPS where you would prepare the facility for the alien night onslaught much like in the film (which sounded great). FromI gave this game a 9, not because its a better FPS than titles such as MW3 or BF3 but because its a fun, involving game experience, that succeeds in recreating the atmosphere of the original film. Reviews on this game I read years ago, told how it would be a strategy/FPS where you would prepare the facility for the alien night onslaught much like in the film (which sounded great). From what I have seen so far, this is not that game. In truth the graphics are not where they should be for a title that has been this long in development or for one being released this late in the life-cycle for PS3. But letting go of the expectations, what Gearbox has achieved is a really great game experience that faithfully reproduces the sense of claustrophobia and tension of the original two aliens films. It has great characters, voice acting and environments that are also true to the original films. If like me, you have been waiting over 20 years for a competent sequel to Aliens, then in my opinion, its finally here. Collapse
  8. Feb 18, 2013
    Its funny this guys say bla bla graphics old...crysis 2 its more or less recent and have history not mencion borring game, not to say any play doom 3,halo,half life say omg they take ideas from all and do crysis...Game need be score for HISTORY,GRAPHIC,SOUND AND GAMEPLAY this is for all need learn before say a score im say that to magazines to.
    History 9
    Graphic 7 Sound 9 Gameplay
    History 9
    Graphic 7
    Sound 9
    Gameplay 9

This game its not for fan it for people like FPS,love fun and...im in time start with atari and spectrum not like this noobs play playstacion II and quad core pcs think know all about games and put because of graphics low low score and this is not fair.
  9. Feb 12, 2013
    I have searched the internet for a positive review about this game, and surprisingly I haven't found one. This made me feel slightly nervous for the game as I was getting it today. Upon playing the single player campaign, I was a little bit disappointed. There was a lot of unnecessary grinding involved. However i then played Multi-player and too say the least, I was pleasantly surprised.I have searched the internet for a positive review about this game, and surprisingly I haven't found one. This made me feel slightly nervous for the game as I was getting it today. Upon playing the single player campaign, I was a little bit disappointed. There was a lot of unnecessary grinding involved. However i then played Multi-player and too say the least, I was pleasantly surprised. The multi-player was a fantastic part of the game. As a marine you were constantly on the lookout, and as a Xeno you were stealthily navigating the map to pounce on your prey. It was very fun. Overall the game could have been better but still is in my opinion a keeper. In some ways it reminds me of the first ever resistance on PS3. Expand
  10. Feb 12, 2013
    Easy enough overpass the awful reviews if you ARE an Aliens' fan.

Easy enough overpass the awful reviews if you ARE an Aliens' fan.

That game might not look great, that's a fact, but what it lacks in graphics, makes up for it in fun in multiplayer and overall atmosphere Customization is deep, ranging from laser sight for your good old pulse rifle to mutations for aliens (regeneration, speed, less likely to appear on a radar thanks to a special body, etc) there's a LOT of things, and you'll play for a long time until you've unlocked everything for every gun and class.

4 DLC packs have been announced for the season pass, plenty enough to make the online viable for months !

Definitely the most fun I've had on a multiplayer game for a long time, especially in Escape mode, where you need to evac asap with your marine bros, within the time limit. You like the Alien franchise GO FOR IT Don't trust biased reviews don't trust COD players trust Alien fans
  11. Feb 12, 2013
    Pure brilliance in this game. Multiplayer is extra-ordinary. Sure singleplayer isn't that great but nothing can be perfect. For those people complaining about the graphics i think they need to get their eyes checked.
  12. Feb 12, 2013
    Game is pretty awesome if you like aliens and left for dead. Hard to get used to but once you do it's worth it.
    The one thing I will say is the graphics and glitches could be dealt with a little better.
  13. Feb 17, 2013
    While the Aliens franchise tends to play it safe, Timegate was especially brave with its shepherding of the Aliens brand with Aliens: Colonial Marines. Including its patented co-op mode along with multi-player and other hidden goodies, it wasn’t afraid to break the mold of the traditional sci-fi shooters. Now it’s taking a step further, but is this journey into the unknown worthy of theWhile the Aliens franchise tends to play it safe, Timegate was especially brave with its shepherding of the Aliens brand with Aliens: Colonial Marines. Including its patented co-op mode along with multi-player and other hidden goodies, it wasn’t afraid to break the mold of the traditional sci-fi shooters. Now it’s taking a step further, but is this journey into the unknown worthy of the Aliens name?

At certain points you’re asked to make some tough decisions, and these choices have huge consequences. Characters live or die and each decision comes with heavy ramifications that you will only realize later, and this unpredictability combined with an already-arresting base story will keep you guessing until the end. There are many different endings, and you’ll have to play it multiple times to see every possible story arc and conclusion.

A branching story dictates that the campaign structure is at least somewhat flexible, and this is accomplished via in-mission decision making and the brand new rank levels. At certain points you’re given a choice of which direction to go, and each path leads to a completely different scenario. The paths ultimately reconnect, but it adds some latitude and replayability.

The level design stays true to the Aliens formula. Tightly-controlled corridor sections give way to massive, open battlefields that give you some room to maneuver. In a series first, you’re also able to choose your loadout before each mission, allowing you to build a relationship with your favorite armaments.
  14. Feb 13, 2013
    TRUTH SEEKERS MUST READ--------
    TRUTH SEEKERS MUST READ--------
    I usually only play a campaign once (I'm not easily enough amused to allow another unless it has branching story lines/character customization such as an RPG) and I enjoyed this one. I would probably want a friend and a few beers if I was to enjoy occasionally play through it again, easily enough since it allows you to fully coop the campaign split screen or online.

There are some negatives...The story isnt going to blow anyone's hair back, it has a pretty straight forward delivery that is not quite the circus showmanship that the "what about the story" buffs gravitate to. The graphics look like they are 4 years old and there is not a whole bunch of John Woo/Michael Bay type sliding/double jumping/bullet time fancy effects...It is however dark and moody, so such things would ruin the gritty atmosphere and grim action/horror that the game succeeds at, despite the occasional clipping graphics. I can see how single player buffs that ignore multiplayer and just fanboy out on the campaign and presentation, playing it over and over again collecting every little speck of dust hiding behind a urinal, might ho hum, then turn their nose up.

I watched the Alien movies and enjoyed them, especially the first two, which probably adds to the enjoyment as they provide additional context to the story throughout the game's numerous tie-ins during the campaign, so my view of the single player experience might be a bit more positive than those who haven't, but, what so many people, including IGN seem to be completely failing to realize is that...

This game's multiplayer is COMPLETELY FREAKING AWESOME and is really the main course of the meal here. Scoring this game based soley upon its single player experience is a crime because it is the most fun, unique, and actually team work oriented multiplayer game I have played since the Left 4 Dead games. I will be honest, I was turned off a bit by the reviews myself, so I cautiously gave this a test rent. I have been addicted ever since it slid into my disc drive (and that RARELY happens to me). I am buying it tomorrow and I whole heartedly recommend it to all Alien buffs and/OR multiplayer fans.

I would offically say the camaign is a 6.5 and the multiplayer is a 9.
  15. Feb 23, 2013
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best graphics and gameplay i have ever seen on a console and pc to! All of my friends have say at me just: just one word: Epic! I can not belive why people say,t this masterpiece game is to hard for me and they have fear because the horror scenes are verry verry strong! [for most people to strong] Gearbox I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER FOR THIS GAME! GREAT GREATWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best graphics and gameplay i have ever seen on a console and pc to! All of my friends have say at me just: just one word: Epic! I can not belive why people say,t this masterpiece game is to hard for me and they have fear because the horror scenes are verry verry strong! [for most people to strong] Gearbox I WILL LOVE YOU FOREVER FOR THIS GAME! GREAT GREAT GREAT GREAT!!!!! I This is a game that we never forget and i hope the mp life forever! Epic! Expand
  16. Feb 12, 2013
    Multiplayer have a lot fun! atmospheric, legendary sci-fi action for fans of old-school first person shooters,
    little scares but this is not a horror game!!!! The graphics are good but i felt the graphics could have been pushed more to its limits also the textures lightly impact some areas of the campaign
  17. Apr 11, 2013
    If this game wasn't called Aliens colonial marines you could be tempted to leave it be and play something better. However.. This game IS called aliens colonial marines and is the licensed sequel to the movie aliens my personal all time favourite. So even with its multitude of glitches and frustrations I am giving the game a ten. Only because I want the franchise to continue. Having saidIf this game wasn't called Aliens colonial marines you could be tempted to leave it be and play something better. However.. This game IS called aliens colonial marines and is the licensed sequel to the movie aliens my personal all time favourite. So even with its multitude of glitches and frustrations I am giving the game a ten. Only because I want the franchise to continue. Having said that I would hope that developer gearbox never ever ever again gets their clumsy digits on a top shelf product. A better dev would have been ubisoft or activision god forbid perhaps even Bioware or the devil incarnate Ea. Anyone in fact just not Gearbox, their company slogan should be 'Gearbox, whatever goes in will get mangled beyond recognition'. Expand
  18. Apr 3, 2013
    I don't know what you people are on about, I admit I'm not good at FPS' but and I can't remember anything from the Aliens movies but I think this game is good entertainment with HORRIBLE MULTI-PLAYER!
  19. Apr 25, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines is contrary to seemingly popular belief a pretty great game all things considering. I think lengthy production times often seem to lead to exceedingly lofty expectations that become almost impossible to meet which is what i believe happened here. I've been a fan of this franchise for the better part of my life and while we've fans have had to wade through a sea ofAliens: Colonial Marines is contrary to seemingly popular belief a pretty great game all things considering. I think lengthy production times often seem to lead to exceedingly lofty expectations that become almost impossible to meet which is what i believe happened here. I've been a fan of this franchise for the better part of my life and while we've fans have had to wade through a sea of terrible games based off this license, A: CM finally bucks that trend. It's my belief that we've become so spoiled on all the Bioshock's and Gears of War and other triple A titles, that we expect a homerun with every product released and that's in my opinion unfair to say the least. This game captures the atmosphere of the film quite nicely. There's little touches and nods peppered throughout for the hardcore fans that make for a solid experience. Yes... the xenomorphs make really odd combat choices and yes... you spend do in fact more time fighting marines than the aliens themselves it seems... and these issues coupled with a few glaring technical hiccups and a half baked online competitive component keep the game from reaching the heights it truly could've attained. Still as the package now stands.. i felt it to be a worthy purchase and a welcome addition to my library. It's a really fun shooter that exists within the universe of an amazing film franchise that once you hookup with a few friends becomes a very awesome experience Expand
  20. Dec 22, 2013
    Picked up Colonial Marines Limited Edition for PS3 at £5. After reading the reviews I thought this game was going to be terrible but it isn't. Graphics seem pretty much up there with the best that the PS3 has to offer infact I was very impressed with the graphics. Only played the campaign and it seems true to the Aliens film, personally I found the first mission a bit uninteresting butPicked up Colonial Marines Limited Edition for PS3 at £5. After reading the reviews I thought this game was going to be terrible but it isn't. Graphics seem pretty much up there with the best that the PS3 has to offer infact I was very impressed with the graphics. Only played the campaign and it seems true to the Aliens film, personally I found the first mission a bit uninteresting but gets better there after, I'm now at mission 5 and really impressed for what was a panned game. Maybe it's been improved since initial release. A must have for Aliens fans and good for anyone that likes 1st person shooters. Expand
  21. Feb 13, 2013

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 3, 2013
    As a shooter, you’ve been here a hundred times before. As an Aliens game it suffers the pressure of the legacy on which it’s built, and the story is diabolically woeful. Game over, man. [April 2013, p72]
  2. Mar 24, 2013
    The representation of the xenomorphs is the game’s most damaging failure. They’re just not dangerous enough, reduced by a first mission deluge into a swarm of targets bearing the shape of a familiar, once-horrific symbol of death. But they have none of that pop icon’s grace or deadliness.
  3. Play UK
    Mar 21, 2013
    Buggy, ugly, and somehow unfinished after ten years...A huge disappointment. [Issue#229, p.68]