3.6

1. Feb 15, 2013
    Yea, yea, yea. Same Aliens game but this one is absolutely a huge blow to fans of the Aliens movies. I thought this was going to be a decent shooting game, but after I saw the bad reviews, no way I won't have to go to GameStop and spend much money to put this in the bargain bin. Colonial Marines, one of the 2013 terrible games just like WarZ that needs to get a bull hammer. I bet WadeYea, yea, yea. Same Aliens game but this one is absolutely a huge blow to fans of the Aliens movies. I thought this was going to be a decent shooting game, but after I saw the bad reviews, no way I won't have to go to GameStop and spend much money to put this in the bargain bin. Colonial Marines, one of the 2013 terrible games just like WarZ that needs to get a bull hammer. I bet Wade Barrett could use his move and smash this game into bits. Expand
  2. May 25, 2013
    I waited 6 years for this game to come out and all I have to say is: WTF!!! Its almost as if Gearbox had no idea what the they were doing with game! Terrible story, A.I., graphics, and MP! This game is a complete disaster from beginning to end and Gearbox should have the kicked out of them for ruining one of the best franchises in history! this game!
  3. Feb 12, 2013
    This game is horrible do not buy it. I am currently returning my special edition. This game is plagued by horrible controls for Aliens in multiplayer, also they never win because of this.
    Graphics are horrible, this could be excused but isn't possible with all the other flaws.
    A.I is rubbish both marines and aliens. I'm no fanboy but the original AVP or 2 is way better than this. I
    I played multiplayer and singleplayer, not co-op there was no need the flaws were enormous.
    Save your cash or get dead space 3 instead or xcom they rock compared to this.
  4. Feb 25, 2013
    I wasted $60 of my hard earn money and 30 mins of my life.I was expecting this game for many years so it comes up with such a great disappointment. The kills don't look realistic, there are motion glitches on the aliens, repetitive game play, terrible multiplayer system. The thing i enjoyed was a big alien startling me and being cautious at the sewers, of course reviving the places of theI wasted $60 of my hard earn money and 30 mins of my life.I was expecting this game for many years so it comes up with such a great disappointment. The kills don't look realistic, there are motion glitches on the aliens, repetitive game play, terrible multiplayer system. The thing i enjoyed was a big alien startling me and being cautious at the sewers, of course reviving the places of the movie; but after that, its predecessor aliens vs predator, its way much better than this huge mistake that will sink the aliens franchise Expand
  5. Feb 12, 2013
    The previews looked really good but honestly the gameplay is horrible and the plot is embarrassingly dumbed-down. Also, the graphics only look good in the advertising. There are tons of glitches. The coop is actually okay but that's about it.
  6. Oct 25, 2014
    This wasn't a great game. The story was so bad. The characters weren't developed enough and remained bland throughout the campaign. Plus, the AI is terrible and the game just didn't look as good as it was did before release.

I'd say only get this if you're a die-hard Aliens fan. If not, I simply can't recommend this.
  7. Jun 20, 2013
    Aliens: Colonial Marines............ah.................I liked my experience playing it. I don't know, the weapons reminded me of the movies and the models of the Xenomorphs are quite accurate. Also, I loved playing co-op with my friends, even with the glitches taking effect (it might have actually made it more enjoyable.) This game, it's not a good game. But it is VERY nostalgic.Aliens: Colonial Marines............ah.................I liked my experience playing it. I don't know, the weapons reminded me of the movies and the models of the Xenomorphs are quite accurate. Also, I loved playing co-op with my friends, even with the glitches taking effect (it might have actually made it more enjoyable.) This game, it's not a good game. But it is VERY nostalgic. The environments are nice, actually quite beautiful on the PC version. But the paper thin story and HORRIBLE voice acting does infuriate me. Not to mention the terrible animations. Xenomorph gameplay is quite satisfying, however. I'm going to say it: this game is below sub-par, but just above bad. This game is like the Forbidden Fruit of the gaming community. You'll have a decent experience but will be shamed. SHAMED!!! Expand
  8. Feb 23, 2014
    I will start off by saying two things 1. By the time I played this the game had been patched multiple times and 2. I did not pay full price (I got it 2nd hand for £5)
    The game was just about o.k for the price I paid if I had paid the full £40 I would be annoyed.
    The game does not look great the AI is buggy as hell freezing in mid air and often doing nothing they very quickly loose there fear factor.
    Online co-op has parts where your team mates teleport around the place your npc team mates fire at walls for no reason and some times just flat out abandon you.
    After all the patches and they still can not get it right I would consider suing them to at least for my money back.
    But if you absolutely love the aliens franchise and find it cheap (they are not hard to come by now) it is not a bad way to kill a few hours.

The good- The smart gun say no more
    The bad- Short and a terrible ending
    The ugly- The AI makes these creatures look like you should not fear them but pity them
    4/10 Quite simply not very good.
  9. Feb 27, 2013
    I'm glad I rented this game, because Gearbox were lazy jerking off while making this game. This game took like what? Under 5 years to make?!?! So, the gameplay is just bland as hell and the hitmarkers are just weird. The storyline takes place after the movie "Aliens" and it's an ok storyline to take place after Aliens (the movie) The graphics, oh gosh, the graphics are like playing a WiiI'm glad I rented this game, because Gearbox were lazy jerking off while making this game. This game took like what? Under 5 years to make?!?! So, the gameplay is just bland as hell and the hitmarkers are just weird. The storyline takes place after the movie "Aliens" and it's an ok storyline to take place after Aliens (the movie) The graphics, oh gosh, the graphics are like playing a Wii game on a PS3 System, Seriously?!?!?! 2013 and developers are this lazy?!?! The game is also buggy as hell, and is just really terrible. But with the customization with guns, attachments and more can make the gun whatever you want so that's nice what Gearbox did. The multiplayer is decent, you have TDM, Extermination, Survivor and Escape. You can pick Xeno's between Solider, Spitter and Lurker. The multiplayer is actually fun and can make you rage a bit, but it's actually better then Campaign. So, what I think about this game is about a 2/10. Expand
  10. Aug 24, 2015
    Really disappointed with this title. I bought thinking Aliens, gearbox and split screen co-op surely these is something great here AND even after reading the bad reviews I thought give this a go. UI, gameplay, controls, graphics, sound, story all fell short of other FPS games. Atmosphere pushed the score up a little as I did feel something which took me back to a crumb of alien trilogy onReally disappointed with this title. I bought thinking Aliens, gearbox and split screen co-op surely these is something great here AND even after reading the bad reviews I thought give this a go. UI, gameplay, controls, graphics, sound, story all fell short of other FPS games. Atmosphere pushed the score up a little as I did feel something which took me back to a crumb of alien trilogy on the original playstation. Overall, I really can not recommend this game. Expand
  11. Feb 12, 2013
    As a Alien fan i loved this nostalgic ride but as a gamer i felt the game could have strongly done with some more time and i feel Gearbox had really rushed the final process of this game, i just hoped it didn't end up like Duke Nukem Forever. The ideas were all there on the table but they came up short big time in some key areas especially for any gamer new to the Alien Franchise. The prosAs a Alien fan i loved this nostalgic ride but as a gamer i felt the game could have strongly done with some more time and i feel Gearbox had really rushed the final process of this game, i just hoped it didn't end up like Duke Nukem Forever. The ideas were all there on the table but they came up short big time in some key areas especially for any gamer new to the Alien Franchise. The pros for this game is easily the nostalgic vibes sent through the whole game which will easily capture the attention of most Alien fans from the remastered score to the precise duplicate of sound effects from the original Alien movie inserted into the game. The plot kept its consistency throughout most of the game besides the end and characters kept their dialogues sharp with witty humor and macho rants also i felt the characters were nicely developed but lacked a bit of depth. As for the cons well A:CM sure didn't break barriers, it delivered what it promised which was a Alien experience but it fell short in some big areas. The moments that should have defined Aliens felt extremely short and forced, one major being the difficulty of killing a Xeno, it is much too easy and it sure took away a lot of fear momentum throughout the game. They surprise us with cheap scares but fail to keep the fear alive throughout the game because of how mediocre the AI was built and how easily they can be killed. The graphics are not too bad but i felt the graphics could have been pushed more to its limits also the textures lightly impact some areas of the campaign. As for Multiplayer, its fun but even better with friends, controlling a Xeno can be difficult at times but is extremely fun when you get the hang of it all in a game mode called Escape, i feel the Multiplayer does give the game a more positive outlook but the match making can be really annoying at time. So here's my final statement for anyone reading, its a decent game for Casual gamers a definite disappointment for faddish gamers and a great game for Alien fans. Expand
  12. Mar 7, 2013
    I won't waste time retreading the same ground everyone else and point out one simple fact, it's made by Gearbox.

Gearbox is and always has been a mediocre game developer. Their big claim to fame is borderlands which is essentially if you put world of warcrafts boring quest system into a wasteland, put it in first person mode, then tout how it has millions of guns but the fact is 1 out of 10,000 are actually an upgrade (repainting the same crummy pistol 5,000 times doesn't make 5,000 different guns) and finally start pimping DLC for the game before it even releases and then keep releasing more to nickel and dime your customers to death by turning a 60 dollar turd into a 100 dollar turd. They also made duke nukem forever which as we all know is a giant steaming pile of you know what and is a god awful abortion from start to finish. The best games they actually made were the brothers in arms games which aren't as terrible as those other two games but its still incredibly sterile, generic and uninspired. BIA is your basic mediocre WW2 shooter and nothing else. They have a few other games under their belt but they are all titles no one really cares about and faded into obscurity as soon as they were released. Bottom line is Gearbox is a terrible game maker and this is a terrible game.

Now for a quickie about colonial marines.

The story is nothing short of fan fiction written by someone who cannot write but still posts to their blog and believes themselves to be a great writer. It's kind of like how a young girl will take pictures of furniture sitting in a shadow in black and white and then think they are really deep and brooding for taking such artistic photographs when in fact it's just garbage. They tried to wink at the fans so hard their eyes have fallen out because of it. Everything about it feels very amateur, boring and forced. It feels more like they did a sci-fi channel original aliens movie, or something that went direct to video.

The game is buggy as you can get. I've flown out the side of things and floated high in the air stuck. I've had allies that would stick in walls. Hell I found out in section you were supposed to be stealthy starting out and I just ran past every alien and once I passed them they forgot about me and I finished a level without firing a shot. I see environmental objects get stuck in things and so on.

All the pretty and cool looking screenshots and videos I've been seeing for over a year from now weren't from the same game they released. You can easily find comparison videos showing the game released looks just awful compared to the "in game footage" they showed in the past.

Multiplayer is very sterile and pretty much what you'd expect. It's so boring in fact that multiplayer will be a ghost town in 2 months.

The game play its pretty much call of duty. It's just a mix of "it's the last stand....again" and "quick run through fast as you can" with some boring corridor stalking in between.

I could go into great depth, I could go on and on naming other things I didn't like but you can read other Amazon reviews and see exactly what I've got to say.

So really if you must play this, wait till its 10 dollars. Trust me it won't take very long before it gets there. And next time, don't pay full price for a Gearbox title.
  13. Feb 16, 2013
    They cut out a part of the single player and are selling it to you as dlc even though you already bought the $60 game.. Rent it like I did if you really must play; You'll understand soon enough.
  14. Feb 12, 2013
    Where do I even begin. Did Gearbox even TRY when they worked on this hunk of crap? The graphics are awful. The gameplay is clunky as hell. The story is just pathetic. They nailed the sound of the game for the most part, but that's the only thing I'm going to give credit to. This was just a cheap gimmick to cash in on the Alien name. Listen to me when I say, STAY AWAY. I wouldn't even waitWhere do I even begin. Did Gearbox even TRY when they worked on this hunk of crap? The graphics are awful. The gameplay is clunky as hell. The story is just pathetic. They nailed the sound of the game for the most part, but that's the only thing I'm going to give credit to. This was just a cheap gimmick to cash in on the Alien name. Listen to me when I say, STAY AWAY. I wouldn't even wait for it to hit the bargain bin. Don't support the developers when they give us something this awful. Expand
  15. Feb 12, 2013
    Fantastic game! Will play daily. Its refreshing to see other publishers follow THQ's successful business model of great quality games for fans. Cutting out a big part of the single player to sell as DLC will be well received and can't wait to buy that too.
  16. Mar 25, 2013
    It's a real shame about this game. We all wanted a cool Aliens game. We didn't get one Simple. Characters are dull and unrealistic. The story slides along at a horrible pace, and the gameplay is so repetitive you may as well watch it on a video. The interesting thing about this though, is that the main complaint about this game is the graphics being severely outdated. Although I feel thisIt's a real shame about this game. We all wanted a cool Aliens game. We didn't get one Simple. Characters are dull and unrealistic. The story slides along at a horrible pace, and the gameplay is so repetitive you may as well watch it on a video. The interesting thing about this though, is that the main complaint about this game is the graphics being severely outdated. Although I feel this is the games only standing point. The lighting is used in such a way that makes you feel 'alone in the dark' if you will. You really get some intense moments, but unfortunately you are always taken out of that stress filled experience by some other sloppy piece of game design. So you never really get that full package at any point in the game. I find myself going back to this one, even after I've finished the campaign and played a hefty amount of multiplayer because it really is the only playable Aliens game out there. Which is sad because it was so disappointing. This game has been floating around the developer world for years and the amount of companies that had their hand on this, it turns out Gearbox hardly made a damn thing. So to Gearbox, we have faith in your game making ability still, but you lose -5 respect points for splashing your name over the box. As you did with Duke Nukem Forever. This game as a whole is around a technical achievement of 5, but as for the asking price of 90 bucks and the terrible lies with the tech demo... I'd have to say 4/10 Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2013
    never bought this game, I rented it instead. I thought Alien was suppose to be a scary series. This game wasn't scary, the only part where it was scary was when you had to be quite and if you made noise the aliens would come at you. The AI would get in your way and either not shoot, or not follow you. I had many times where the stupid AI would block me from getting by and not even shootnever bought this game, I rented it instead. I thought Alien was suppose to be a scary series. This game wasn't scary, the only part where it was scary was when you had to be quite and if you made noise the aliens would come at you. The AI would get in your way and either not shoot, or not follow you. I had many times where the stupid AI would block me from getting by and not even shoot the aliens. The atmosphere for the game is there, but it just feels like they rushed this game because of the movie release. I new going in that this wasn't going to be a good game, that is why I rented it so I could see for myself. Do not buy this game, you probably will not be happy with it. If you simply must try it, then by all means rent the game. The only thing fun with this game is if you get out the beer and every time the AI does something stupid you have to drink. You will be very drunk, I suggest you buy a case of 48 just to be sure you wont lack any beers.. Expand
  18. Oct 2, 2013
    Where do i begin here....? The plus: aliens. The negative: everything else. I've been looking forward to this game since 2008, and after seeing the E3 2011 demo I was blown away. I believed all the hype behind it and wow, was I dissapointed. When compared to the E3 demo the first thing that was noticeable was the lack of quality. Graphics looked like a N64 game, the lighting effects whereWhere do i begin here....? The plus: aliens. The negative: everything else. I've been looking forward to this game since 2008, and after seeing the E3 2011 demo I was blown away. I believed all the hype behind it and wow, was I dissapointed. When compared to the E3 demo the first thing that was noticeable was the lack of quality. Graphics looked like a N64 game, the lighting effects where absent completely, the sound effects are 100% aliens, the main complaint here is the horrible story and the level design decisions. Without spoiling anything, the story was supposed to be set between Aliens and Alien 3 to tie up some loose ends and it can't even do that. Once you get passed the way the game looks, the buggy final product and unreliable A.I. I felt like I was babysitting my computer partner the whole game, and that's without the frustration of the game glitches and bugs. Bad graphics. level design, weak voice acting, false promises, and broken levels and gameplay make this easily my worst game of the year and the last time I'll believe all the hype behind a licensed product game. Expand
  19. Feb 13, 2014
    I hate this I really hate this. I love aliens and I will not stand for this. Graphics are awful. The AI is brain dead completely. Oh and get humans with guns why? There are 11 missions 1 was suppose to be a tutorial but never got a tutorial at all mission 11 is a 2min "boss" battle 3 are focused to aliens which are the shortest missions too 3 are human focused which are longest 3 are mixedI hate this I really hate this. I love aliens and I will not stand for this. Graphics are awful. The AI is brain dead completely. Oh and get humans with guns why? There are 11 missions 1 was suppose to be a tutorial but never got a tutorial at all mission 11 is a 2min "boss" battle 3 are focused to aliens which are the shortest missions too 3 are human focused which are longest 3 are mixed but the aliens die in like 2 seconds so it really this " call of duty : I suck and I ripped you off." Multiplayer is something that ether is a lot of glitches, buggy, low connection, or has one sided maps. Oh and in single player you get grabbed guess what quick time event that is impossible to die from almost. I want to cry right now while I'm typing this. Co-op you don't need it its too easy even then you just feel like 4 gunners not a unit and no changes that would be more interesting also the other 3 players cant talk. I completed this game on the hardest difficulty in 3 hours alone. Ok there are a few good things the collectables are good which include Easter eggs and legendary weapons. Also the soundtrack is awesome that person deserves to be praised. Backgrounds are pretty good I wont lie. They added new weapons that fit perfectly into the arsenal. Yeah that's it nothing else nothing but shame and disappointment. Oh right I forgot to say heat seeking bullets yeah human enemies have those its sad. Also the story sucks. The characters personalities are whiney, oh boo ho, there already dead, and oh no that happened and I'm speaking calmly. Don't buy it just don't. Expand
  20. Oct 28, 2014
    Simply a horrible use of a great license. Starts shonkily and barrels downhill from then on.
    The unintentional hilarity of co-op is the sole redeeming feature.
  21. Oct 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Aliens Colonial Marines or what I would Call, Call Of Duty Aliens, is one of the biggest let downs in the history of gaming. The game Graphics are poor, enemy AI is just retarded and don't behave like the Aliens are meant to behave. Rebellions AVP captured the Aliens movement and Behaviour to a teeth while this game has no sense of that. In the game you play as winter, a generic, lifeless character who pretty much has to rescue a bunch of missing colonial marines, which than turns into taking revenge against the corporation runed by some robot guy like bishop. A couple of level through, you go from shooting aliens to shooting humans with guns. Do I need to say More? Its a lame attempt by Gearbox to appeal the game to the COD fans. Absolutely disgusting! The Characters in the game have no personality and are annoying to listen to speak. And finally, captain hicks still being alive is ridiculous.

To conclude, this game had potential but it was ruined by bad level design, bad graphics, bad characters, bad story and oh yes the CODnisation of the game. The only positive is the game sound.
  22. Dec 27, 2017
    After reading all the bad reviews I still wanted to give this game a chance, and I did,

I really wanted to love the game, I pushed myself through just because I love the franchise so freakin much, all I can say, shame on you, gearbox, honestly, I'm not going to buy a single game with your name on it, just because of this major f**k up,

the game is playable but that is all I can say
  23. Feb 12, 2013
    What the hell have they done? Dubstep and "lets aim for the title of the biggest mother**** in the universe HURR YEAH" in an ALIEN game, seriously? Gearbox butchered the franchise trying to pander to god know who when its only obvious that this piece of garbage has nothing to do with with ALIEN universe at all except featuring xenomorphs. Not even gonna mention terrible graphics andWhat the hell have they done? Dubstep and "lets aim for the title of the biggest mother**** in the universe HURR YEAH" in an ALIEN game, seriously? Gearbox butchered the franchise trying to pander to god know who when its only obvious that this piece of garbage has nothing to do with with ALIEN universe at all except featuring xenomorphs. Not even gonna mention terrible graphics and gameplay because it's only obvious when you try to make a piece of and hope "gamerz" will gobble it up like another Cowadoodie part.
    The previous game in Alien universe, "Alien vs Predator" was extremely mediocre but this is taking it to a whole new level.
  24. Feb 15, 2013
    Who decided this was a good idea? It wasn't. Terrible graphics, check. Boring story, check. Lame sound, check. DLC that should have been part of the whole game, check. Skip this.
  25. Feb 12, 2013
    5 years in the making.... Oh dear the gameplay,graphics everything about this game looks 5 years old.... Fox backed this game and if I was exec at Gearbox I'd be firing people in the morning...
    Truly bad ...
    I'm gutted after 5 years of waiting that a shoddy FPS looks and plays this bad.... It lasted 4 hours in my PS3. Before I returned it to the store demanded my funds back.. Go get
    Truly bad ...
    It lasted 4 hours in my PS3. Before I returned it to the store demanded my funds back.. Go get Deadspace 3 instead folks... LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF ANYTHING LIKE THIS GARBAGE 4/10 and gutted..
  26. Jul 19, 2013
    Ouch. Just ouch. The only thing this game got correct was the sound. If you want a completely true & accurate review, look up Angry Joe on youtube & watch his review.

The graphics are lazy, the AI is downright stupid and the characters are completely forgetable. On top of all that, your main opponent through the game is going to be...humans!

This game could have been soooooo much more!
  27. May 28, 2013
    IF YOU VALUE YOUR MONEY; STAY AWAY. IF YOU ARE A DIE HARD FAN OF THE FRANCHISE; STAY FAR AWAY. EVEN BORROWING IT FROM SOMEBODY WILL MAKE YOU FEEL CHEATED, I KNOW I DID. THE ONLINE/OFFLINE MULTILAYER IS THE ONLY FUN YOU WILL GET, AND THE CAMPAIGN CO-OP WITH A FRIEND CAN BARELY SOFTEN THE PAIN YOU WILL INFLICT ON YOURSELF FOR GOING THROUGH THIS ATROCITY CALLED A STORY.
  28. Feb 14, 2013
    Campaign: Not worth to mention: Broken AI. Story is illogical garbge. It's running in circles and shoot aliens. Let's move to the Multiplayer: Matchmaking: No dedicated Servers. "Host leaved the game" every few minutes. Not much more to say Feeling: (Alien) Switching to the third person view may be a good descision for making gameplay more smooth, but the lack of proper animations and theCampaign: Not worth to mention: Broken AI. Story is illogical garbge. It's running in circles and shoot aliens. Let's move to the Multiplayer: Matchmaking: No dedicated Servers. "Host leaved the game" every few minutes. Not much more to say Feeling: (Alien) Switching to the third person view may be a good descision for making gameplay more smooth, but the lack of proper animations and the fact that the alien moves like your put a stick up his and now pulling some strings absolutly ruins it. Feeling: (Marine) It's ok. I'm missing some kind of distant radio. I had a guy with his micro not muted and i could hear the dampened gunfire while catching up with the group. It was actually pretty cool. Otherwise the game lacks a proper envoirement sound set. If you spawn after death somewhere you can't hear nothing. It's so peaceful, you may settle down and have a picnic with a nearby spitter. Also the guns feel somehow cheap, like made out of lego bricks. To be honest all the models feel like i bought a 14,99 Indie game. Maps: The maps i played so far are uther rubbish. Sorry envoirement artist and level designers, but did you play your maps once? There's no tatic. It's just "find the best spot to sit on" and stay there and shooting the aliens coming from two directions. Forget vents, they're placed almost randomly without strategic purpose. Season Pass: You expect me to pay 30 bucks for you to maybe fix this, really? There are some things cool about this game but it doesnt compensate the games overall cheap feeling and bad, bad, bad, BAD map design. Just my personal opinion on this. Expand
  29. Feb 14, 2013
    The game had its ups and downs. The graphics weren't that great. I would say for taking a long time to create this game was good, but they didn't make it a game were we could stand up and applaud. Their was twitches in the game. They shouldn't of added when you fight he humans that sucked. Another thing I probably would of enjoyed it more if they didn't even make this game. So if anybodyThe game had its ups and downs. The graphics weren't that great. I would say for taking a long time to create this game was good, but they didn't make it a game were we could stand up and applaud. Their was twitches in the game. They shouldn't of added when you fight he humans that sucked. Another thing I probably would of enjoyed it more if they didn't even make this game. So if anybody wants this game then probably don't buy this game it was dumb. The storyline to this was horrible to. Expand
  30. Mar 9, 2013
    Introduction: The Alien franchise has been seen as a classic horror movie in our generation. Whether you have seen the original "Alien" and "Aliens" movies or not, these movies are one of the original and one of the best horror movies ever created about aliens. With that being said, the games have never lived up to the hype of the movies. That was until Aliens: Colonial Marines wasIntroduction: The Alien franchise has been seen as a classic horror movie in our generation. Whether you have seen the original "Alien" and "Aliens" movies or not, these movies are one of the original and one of the best horror movies ever created about aliens. With that being said, the games have never lived up to the hype of the movies. That was until Aliens: Colonial Marines was announced to officially be released in February. The game had been on development since 2001 and hopes for a fun action/survival horror were high for this game. Unfortunately, Aliens: Colonial Marines become another Duke Nukem Forever.*

Presentation: Although the original ideas for Aliens was clever and entertaining thoughts, the finished product was much less creative then we originally had hoped for. The story seemed simple enough but also seemed like you had to know a lot about the movies themselves to understand the game. I have seen Alien but never the second movie, Aliens. Because of this, I had difficulty understanding some of the story. The game should have been able to tell its story well enough that you wouldn't need to watch the movies the understand the game fully. For the most part, the story was understandable but it wasn't anything special and it was presented in a way in which everything was expected. Even surprises the company thought were good were ridiculous. 5/10

Graphics: The graphics in Aliens: Colonial Marines were good. They were no where close to great but the graphics were good enough. The biggest issue with the games graphics came from glitches, lag and frame rate issues. Many things in the environment would turn extremely plain at random points. The detail would disappear and the ground would look like a gray blob of matter. The character design was terrible as well. Most of the characters looked completely idiotic. The games graphics would have been good enough to get a 6/10 as it was but the games many graphical issues makes its lower. 4/10

Sound: The music for the game was authentic. According to many, the music itself was one of the games only good features. Apparently the music matched well with the movie music and some of it was cool. At other times, I believed the music sucked. Regardless, the voice actors/actresses of the game sucked. The crappy one liners and horrible casualness made the characters completely unlikable (This is partly do to terrible writing on the writers part). Not one of the voice actors were good. All seemed to be forced. 5/10

Gameplay: The gameplay itself was not unplayable. In fact, most of the time it operated like any First Person Shooter. The problem I had with the gameplay was the aiming issues throughout the game. The aiming made it to were many times you would have the sights on an enemy firing at them but it would still not hit the enemy. Besides this, the gameplay itself was just like any cliched fps. One thing worth praise was the weapon custimization idea. Although it could have been fleshed out more, I found it interesting to complete different challenges and gain more upgrades to make my guns more powerful. 6/10

Entertainment: The cliche shooter felt as if it continued to be a continues loop of the same level, save a couple interesting missions that had you run from giant aliens or had you move slowly and stand still in front of exploding aliens. The final boss battle was the most boring boss I have ever fought...literally. Every now and then (very rarely) I found myself having what seemed like fun but after half of the game, I found myself more excited for the game to get over then I was to play the game itself. Entertainment was very rare. 3/10

Replay Value: As a single player experience, this game is barely worth finishing. As a mulitplayer experience, the game seemed to do some things right. Although all I played was the single player, I have heard from different sources that the multiplayer seems entertaining for a day or two. This tells me that the replay value of the multiplayer is very little as well. HOWEVER there is said to be DLC coming for this game in 4 different packs. The DLC is said to add more to multiplayer and single player. With hopes that this will give the game a little more replay value, the final rating for replay is 3/10

Verdict: This game is easily forgettable and ultimately dumb. The developers could have done so much more with this game considering it was developed by Gearbox Software (Borderlands series) and published by Sega. The game seemed to do some things right but not enough to save this game from its failures. 4.3/10

Suggested Price: DO NOT SPEND OVER THE PRICE OF THE FIRST TWO MOVIES ON THIS GAME. YOU WILL GET MORE ENTERTAINMENT OUT OF EITHER OF THE FIRST TWO MOVIES THEN OUT OF THE WHOLE GAME COMBINED. SPEND $10 MAXIMUM ON THIS GAME OR RENT IT IF YOU ARE AN ALIEN(S) FAN. IF YOU AREN'T A FAN AND YOUR LOOKING FOR A GREAT GAME, AVOID THIS GAME.

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 3, 2013
    As a shooter, you’ve been here a hundred times before. As an Aliens game it suffers the pressure of the legacy on which it’s built, and the story is diabolically woeful. Game over, man. [April 2013, p72]
  2. Mar 24, 2013
    The representation of the xenomorphs is the game’s most damaging failure. They’re just not dangerous enough, reduced by a first mission deluge into a swarm of targets bearing the shape of a familiar, once-horrific symbol of death. But they have none of that pop icon’s grace or deadliness.
  3. Play UK
    Mar 21, 2013
    Buggy, ugly, and somehow unfinished after ten years...A huge disappointment. [Issue#229, p.68]