3.5

1. Feb 12, 2013
    Where do I even begin. Did Gearbox even TRY when they worked on this hunk of crap? The graphics are awful. The gameplay is clunky as hell. The story is just pathetic. They nailed the sound of the game for the most part, but that's the only thing I'm going to give credit to. This was just a cheap gimmick to cash in on the Alien name. Listen to me when I say, STAY AWAY. I wouldn't even wait for it to hit the bargain bin. Don't support the developers when they give us something this awful. Expand
  2. Feb 12, 2013
    Fantastic game! Will play daily. Its refreshing to see other publishers follow THQ's successful business model of great quality games for fans. Cutting out a big part of the single player to sell as DLC will be well received and can't wait to buy that too.
  3. Feb 12, 2013
    The graphics are dated, and the gameplay is like every other FPS I've played. The story seems abit interesting but is in no way on par with the films. Licensed games don't usually do that well, but after the Arkham Series and with Gearbox's name on the game I figured I'd not listen to the "professional" reviews and just get it anyway. If you're getting this game to play SOLO then you are waisting your money, but if you're getting it to play with friends I can guarantee you that you'll have a blast. The multiplayer is fun as hell, and if you set the difficulty to Ultimate Badass on the campaign with four friends you'd pretty much have to have no pulse to not have fun. Is it the best game I've played this year? No way, but it is in no way shape or form a 3 or 4 out of 10. It's graphics are horrible sure, but I'll take having a blast with four friends any day over graphics.
    It's got some glitches, but none that ruined the experience or hindered the amount of fun that I had. Having played it for several hours (SP and MP) I can definitely say with confidence that if you go into the game not expecting it to blow your mind or redefine the FPS genre and have a few friends with mics to play with you WILL have a blast.
  4. Feb 12, 2013
    A low moment in what started as quiet a promising year, with low res textures, screen tear and some minor game halting glitches, Aliens Colonial Marines is not the game fans have been waiting for. An average story line with bland characters and a very basic AI (a lot of the time i was shooting at Aliens/Marines just standing behind things) the games only highlight being that Co-Op makes the campaign bearable and that the sound design is top notch, i can only really recommend this game to hardcore fans of the series. Expand
  5. Feb 12, 2013
    There is nothing worse then being conned. And that's exactly what happened to me I was conned into buying this game based on 11 minuets of supposedly "in game footage" released by the devs in 2011 showing a vibrant and gripping game. The graphics where rich, the story looked inviting and action in it sent adrenalin flowing though my veins. Come to 2013 and the game is finally here. I planned an all-nighter to finally play a game I've spent years looking forward to. Palms sweating, heart racing I clicked "Play" and that's right about where all the fun ended. What I got was more then a far cry from what I sold me into buying this game. In fact everything I was looking forward to that I had seen in "Gameplay footage" never appeared. The rich graphics were replaced by flat polygons with low-res textures slapped on. The story was nothing more then a overly vague and childish journey to help NPC's that I cared nothing about; and the Adrenaline rush I was promised was replaced by slow ooze of Melatonin (The sleep hormone for those of you who failed biology) as the action consisted of nothing more then effortlessly gunning down wave after wave of predictably stupid A.I enemies. Expand
  6. Feb 12, 2013
    This game is horrible do not buy it. I am currently returning my special edition. This game is plagued by horrible controls for Aliens in multiplayer, also they never win because of this.
    Graphics are horrible, this could be excused but isn't possible with all the other flaws.
    A.I is rubbish both marines and aliens. I'm no fanboy but the original AVP or 2 is way better than this.
    I
    played multiplayer and singleplayer, not co-op there was no need the flaws were enormous.
    Save your cash or get dead space 3 instead or xcom they rock compared to this.
  7. Feb 12, 2013
    Easy enough overpass the awful reviews if you ARE an Aliens' fan.

That game might not look great, that's a fact, but what it lacks in graphics, makes up for it in fun in multiplayer and overall atmosphere Customization is deep, ranging from laser sight for your good old pulse rifle to mutations for aliens (regeneration, speed, less likely to appear on a radar thanks to a special body,
    etc) there's a LOT of things, and you'll play for a long time until you've unlocked everything for every gun and class.

4 DLC packs have been announced for the season pass, plenty enough to make the online viable for months !

Definitely the most fun I've had on a multiplayer game for a long time, especially in Escape mode, where you need to evac asap with your marine bros, within the time limit. You like the Alien franchise GO FOR IT Don't trust biased reviews don't trust COD players trust Alien fans
  8. Feb 12, 2013
    5 years in the making.... Oh dear the gameplay,graphics everything about this game looks 5 years old.... Fox backed this game and if I was exec at Gearbox I'd be firing people in the morning...
    Truly bad ...
    I'm gutted after 5 years of waiting that a shoddy FPS looks and plays this bad....
    It lasted 4 hours in my PS3. Before I returned it to the store demanded my funds back.. Go get
    Deadspace 3 instead folks... LIGHT YEARS AHEAD OF ANYTHING LIKE THIS GARBAGE 4/10 and gutted.. Expand
  9. Feb 12, 2013
    Campaign is scary. Graphics feel slightly dated, but gameplay is fun. Basically an Aliens version of Left 4 Dead. Lots of mechanics like having to pull up a motion tracker (making you unable to shoot) are nice and induce lots of tension when hunting for bugs.
  10. Feb 12, 2013
    Disgusting. I can't believe this went gold. It is an unfinished sloppy mess. Gearbox should be ashamed for this. I am returning this asap for credit because I can't stand how much I paid.
  11. Feb 14, 2013
    0/10 Spoiled the game of their burzhui hands! Drunk all polymers! Demo and it was better! Ansha Abdul brothers! Read the Biboran! Chu chu chu chu chu chu chu!
  12. Feb 12, 2013
    I have searched the internet for a positive review about this game, and surprisingly I haven't found one. This made me feel slightly nervous for the game as I was getting it today. Upon playing the single player campaign, I was a little bit disappointed. There was a lot of unnecessary grinding involved. However i then played Multi-player and too say the least, I was pleasantly surprised. The multi-player was a fantastic part of the game. As a marine you were constantly on the lookout, and as a Xeno you were stealthily navigating the map to pounce on your prey. It was very fun. Overall the game could have been better but still is in my opinion a keeper. In some ways it reminds me of the first ever resistance on PS3. Expand
  13. Feb 13, 2013
    Like many i'm sure, I have been counting down the weeks and days to this game. I've been so exited for it that when I read an early review, I was absolutely gutted to learn that it was negative. I never usually listen to the "professional" critics as I find they are way too picky, but in this case I just wanted to take a sneaky peak at what they had to say. I am pleased to say that whoever gives this game a review is talking bollocks!!! If you are a die hard fan of the Alien franchise, there is no way that you will be dissapointed with Aliens :Colonial Marines.

Graphics: The graphics are not as polished as some other first person shooters, but it is no way as bad as some of these other pricks are claiming. It is a good looking game.

Sound: The sound effects are absolutely awesome. You will wet your pants the first time you open fire with your pulse rifle. The music makes you feel like you are in the movie! And they have enlisted the original voice talent of Hicks, Hudson, Apone and Bishop!! Brilliant.

Gameplay: Brilliant. Aliens crawl on cellings, walls, out of vents and once you've despathed those, it goes deadly quite and all you can hear is the tense music and clicking of your motion tracker as you walk through locations from the movie, waiting for your next close encounter. Absolutely amazing.

Multiplayer: AWESOME!!! loads of fun. fully customisable marines and aliens. Awesome team base objective play.

I am a massive fan of the series and want to give the most honest review possible.

Negative points:

sometimes the A.I. can be a bit thick. taking cover where I can still see them or somtimes just stand there. I came across some glithes that maybe a brand new game shouldn't have. The aliens in multiplayer are really hard to use and may put alot of people off.

If you are a real die hard fan of the Alien franchise, you will be able to overlook these minor negative points and ultimately enjoy what is an awesome, fun experience in the world of Aliens.
    The very negative reviews are completely unfair.
  14. Feb 13, 2013
    An honest review. This game is a lot of fun to play. Is it perfect? No, not by a long shot. But if you have any love for the film series do yourself a favor and pick this game up. I am currently playing online Co-Op on Ultimate Badass, and I recommend you do the same. This play setting takes away your HUD and makes the Aliens more agressive and also makes their acid blood come into play. The multiplayer also is a great surprise, I bought the game for its CO-OP modes, but found that the multiplayer is a blast. Playing as a Marine is tense and exhilarating, having to rely on you're tracker to find incoming Aliens, their is no RADAR. It is really too bad how many people are slamming this game, and how many people really don't understand the essence of the Aliens franchise. Tight quarters, narrow pathways and a sense of being overwhelmed and out numbered. Like I said before, this is not a perfect game, but it is fun and would recommend this game to any Aliens fan. Expand
  15. Feb 12, 2013
    I got this game on Saturday, and must say, its not a top job considering the hype and years spent on this title. They could have nailed it with a little more effort/love. Having said that I love what I have played. Like most who will buy this title after the reviews, I love the 1st two Alien movies. The graphics are fitting for the scene and im yet to see any slow down or tearing (I've been looking). The sound and music are outstanding, the atmosphere equally. If I wasnt such a big fan of the franchise or I was looking for this to be the best game since sliced bread........I would have scored it at 5/10, but as it stands, im just loving the game as a jump in and play for what it is. A solid 8/10 from me, but thats just my opinion, but as it its my cash paying for the game.......that's all that counts I guess. Lol. Expand
  16. Feb 13, 2013
    Do not buy! The final game is NOT the same as in the footage shown pre-launch. But don't take my word for it, Google it!

Very disappointed and want my money back.
  17. Feb 12, 2013
    Unfortunately I think the expectation level for this game will be its undoing. I am indeed a huge Alien Aliens fan and could not wait for this game. Having been so dissapointed with previous efforts I had lost all hope of playing a decent Aliens based game. I read various consumer reviews and today the first few critic reviews my heart sank. Could it really be that bad It would have to be near impossible to play if reviews were to be believed, a total shambles of a game Well, although my enthusiasm had been dampened a little to say the least, I still got a rush of excitement when I got home this morning to find I had received my PS3 copy. I loaded the game up and ok the graphics are nothing to write home about but the music takes over, the Aliens logo comes into view and it works. I feel like a kid again. My excitement to play the game is back The story for me is actually ok, it does a job. For me, the most important part of this game is the overall look, the atmosphere and the sound and for me it says ALIENS. The music is superb. Aliens through and through, brilliant in fact. The weapon sounds are spot on. The Alien models themselves have received a lot of bad press for their A.I. and animation. I actually think they are great until they stand. The way they move seems realistic, the way they crawl along walls and ceilings mean you have to constantly check in all directions, it keeps you on your toes and as such keeps the tension up. The atmosphere is all created by the lighting. Various warning lights, broken ceiling lights swinging and casting shadows in the claustrophobic corridors and rooms really create a good tense Aliens feel to the game. There are many people saying the Aliens die too easily. Well try cranking the game up to a harder level. Simple. I really enjoyed playing through the game. It is for me, the best Aliens game ever. Anyone who disagrees is talking b******s. They seem to be bashing the game for not being the AAA title it should and could have been. Fair enough, we're all dissapointed its not a genre defining fps set in the Aliens world but don't go overboard and make out it's a s**t game. It's not by any means. If you like Alien Aliens then you'll love the game. If you dont then its probably an average shooter. I bought it because of the Aliens tie in and love it because of it. Rose tinted glasses Probably but I bought AVP and hated it because it did not convince me that I was in that world. This game does. I will be honest I wanted this game to be the original dead space but in the Alien s world. That would be truly amazing Expand
  18. Feb 12, 2013
    Its the worst game i have ever played in my life. Just plain awful, the graphics look like crap and also runs like crap. How did gearbox make something this bad yet borderlands is amazing and was in development for 5 years i just can't see how this is possible.
  19. Feb 12, 2013
    The game is just terrible: there is no sign of AI at all, graphics are very poor, difficultly is low and there is absolutely no tension going. I guess the biggest disappointment is that aliens are so dumb and harmless that they can only take down the player only if the player went to a toilet or to take a bite. It's nowhere near to AVP and AVP2, where aliens were really frighting, they could take down you in couple of hits even on easy level. I bought the game before reviews starting going out and this game is one of the worst games I played recently. The local co op is a disaster, game keeps throwing stupid bugs at you and graphics are even more terrible with a lot of freezes.
    Gearbox you did a very poor job and you can consider yourself as one of game makers that want to cut some easy money on fans.
  20. Feb 13, 2013
    I respect each that everyone has there own opinion. So with that in mind, this is my own.

Aliens: Colonial Marines is not a bad game, not by any means, if anything it only lacks focus of what it wants to be. It's a shooter, no doubt about that, and in my opinion a very solid one, the gameplay runs smoothly and shooting the xeno's is better than ever. I'll now delve a little deeper.

The story is what let's Colonial Marines down as it lacks focus and character progression, I won't go any deeper than that because I don't want to delve into spoiler's, all the player need's to know is that this game tells the tale of what happened in between Aliens and Alien 3 and will answer some of the unanswered question's you may of had. It's follows a group of Colonial Marines responding to a distress call form Dwayne Hicks from Aliens. They head to LV-426 and find the USS Sulaco in it's orbit which was reportedly moved. The rest of the game is set in motion when they find the Xenomorph infestation. It's a decent enough plot line but like I said it lacks focus on what story it wants to tell, it can't decide what it wants to focus on and that leads to what feel's like a rushed story which never stops to focus on one thing before it introduces another.

Aliens has a solid game in place, the Ranking system work's well and the customization of the games weapon's is fairly deep and rewarding for the most part. The ranking system spans 60 levels across both the Story and Multiplayer which in my eyes is how a single player ranking should work because it gives the casual player a chance to rank up without playing a whole lot of multiplayer. The multiplayer also gives the player the chance to play as the Xenomorphs which also has it's separate ranking system which I believe also spans up to 60 but unlike the single player can only be achieved in MP. The MP also has a deep Character customization for both the Marines and Xenomorphs, which you can create your own unique Marine and Xenomorph, which you unlock parts for while ranking up and completing story and multiplayer challenges. The multiplayer has 4 modes: Team Deathmatch, Elimination, Escape and Survivor. The modes span across multiple maps that allow for varied gameplay for both Marines and Xenomorphs. The Xenomorph’s can seem underpowered against the marines but if you manage to get the drop on them they will go down quick and easy. It's a decent enough multiplayer, which you can have fun on if you enjoyed the single player. On the gameplay side Aliens runs like a typical FPS, you can do most things an FPS does, shoot, aim down sight, duck into cover, throw grenades and all that jazz. If you've played an FPS before you know what to expect. The A.I on the other hand, is another matter, this is where Aliens lacks again. They shoot Xenomorphs well enough but other than that, they are un-killable stand in's that only offer to open doors that the player cannot open themselves, the Alien A.I fairs a little better by acting basically how a Xenomorph would. They'll crawl around the walls jump out of vents and try and get you from the back, they will however, just run right at you like mindless beasts which, as we've seen from the movies, is not the case, they are suposed to always attack from the shadows, but hey ho, can't do much about that. Then there is the Weyland-Yutani PMC soldiers, who...do not fair any better, they will be dead accurate when they want to be but during that time they will just be standing in the line of fire, which is a little unrealistic.

The last main topic I am going to touch on is the Graphics. The graphics are a little old school but it looks like the world James Cameron created, it looks like you are back in Hadley's Hope, The Sulaco and on LV-426. The environments look the part, which is obviously what Gearbox set out to do. The character models look decent enough, the Xenomorphs look like Xenomorphs. The one thing that bugs me is that the lip sinking is not great and really noticeable in the Pre-rendered cut scenes. An odd choice is that your A.I companions don't exist in-game, quite literally, you can walk right through your A.I companion 's which is rather odd, I'm glad they put in no colide but to walk right through them is just plain strange. In the end the graphics may be a little out dated but as a gamer I know that it's the story and gameplay and story that matters. Even if Aliens may lack some of that.

In all Aliens: Colonial Marines is a solid shooter that I still unsure of what it wants to be, It's a solid shooter with a less than perfect story that lacks focus. If you're a fan of Aliens I think you may enjoy that's being offered here, it's a chance to see what happened in between Aliens and Alien 3. If you are a FPS fan and are looking for a good shooter with solid and fun gameplay, load up your pulse rifle and give this a shot. But if you want an Aliens game with a deep and enriching story, it's game over man, game over.
  21. Feb 13, 2013
    Terribad!! Don't be fooled by the marketing of the Gearbox name. When publishers and as a result, developers position to the least common denominator (crappy consoles) this pile of feces is what we get. For a visual and step by step representation of the utter dishonesty of "in game footage" during development, check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?&v=6lGXDM3LGnk

Do yourself a favor.
    Don't spend $60 for this game. It is worth $15 on a steam sale at best. Expand
  22. Feb 12, 2013
    What the hell have they done? Dubstep and "lets aim for the title of the biggest mother**** in the universe HURR YEAH" in an ALIEN game, seriously? Gearbox butchered the franchise trying to pander to god know who when its only obvious that this piece of garbage has nothing to do with with ALIEN universe at all except featuring xenomorphs. Not even gonna mention terrible graphics and gameplay because it's only obvious when you try to make a piece of and hope "gamerz" will gobble it up like another Cowadoodie part.
    The previous game in Alien universe, "Alien vs Predator" was extremely mediocre but this is taking it to a whole new level.
  23. Feb 14, 2013
    After reading the negative press, the majority of it is fair and the rest of it is B.S. to put it blunt this is a 6 or 7 game nothing less and nothing more. The highlight of the experience is multiplayer and the saving grace which I will get to last. First of all this is a AVERAGE shooter that does nothing to standout while taking zero chances which is a disappointment considering the source material. You would expect from an ALIENS titled game to have suspense, scares, tension and sadly none of that is there. What you get is a linear action movie set experience with a narrative that unfortunately raises more questions than it answers. The good in singleplayer and all throughout the game is the Aliens atmosphere. This game sounds 100% like the movie from the guns, music and original actors. Also worthy of a mention are the fantastic settings that seem like they were ripped right out of the movie and that goes for both offline and multiplayer levels. I would also like to mention the weapons and gadgets you use are fantastic and an Alien fans dream. So while it may look and sound like an Aliens movie thats where it ends. As previously mentioned the storyline just flatout sucks. I wont get into the story maybe you would like it but to me it was very disappointing considering how long they had on this project. To make singleplayer even worse are the AI that are so poorly programmed that you would think they came straight out of 1986! This is not a challenging game at all due to the AI behavior even on the hardest setting you can breeze through this. Graphics are also a major problem in all aspects of the game. One moment you can be looking at some eye candy and the very next see textures that look almost as if they were created in a kindergarten class by two year olds. Finally there are a quite a bit of glitches you will find the majority of which for me occur with the games animation system, im talking very awkward movements occasionally. Now its a real shame that almost every review I have read neglects the multiplayer mode. Online play is FUN! I cant stress it enough, the games competitive modes simply work and are a blast to play. Not to mention the DEEP customization options that are offered are unparalleled in any other shooter currently released. Nothing like customizing my marine from head to toe with the gear I want him to wear and then customize his guns with alot of nerdy Alien tech gear! Aside from the Marine gameplay you have the main selling point for multiplayer when you play as a killing machine, the Aliens. Nothing comes close to stalking a group of marines from the roof, leaping onto the floor and wrecking havoc. There are only two flaws which need to be fixed for the multiplayer modes. The first would be the lack of any kind of host migration, if you kill the host to many times if he quits out match is over. Secondly the up and down graphics transition to multiplayer but for the most part are better however there is one level in particular that looks so so bad until you roam around the map and load all the textures in up close. Honestly there is a decent amount of lag as well online and could be match killing depending on the host. In closing Aliens suffers from trying to please the mainstream to much, if only it would have stuck to its hardcore fans we would have the ideal Aliens game... hopefully we can get a proper sequel to this game and the Aliens franchise if gearbox/sega do not get dumped. Expand
  24. Feb 12, 2013
    Pure brilliance in this game. Multiplayer is extra-ordinary. Sure singleplayer isn't that great but nothing can be perfect. For those people complaining about the graphics i think they need to get their eyes checked.
  25. Feb 12, 2013
    Game is pretty awesome if you like aliens and left for dead. Hard to get used to but once you do it's worth it.
    The one thing I will say is the graphics and glitches could be dealt with a little better.
  26. Feb 13, 2013
    I gave this game a 9, not because its a better FPS than titles such as MW3 or BF3 but because its a fun, involving game experience, that succeeds in recreating the atmosphere of the original film. Reviews on this game I read years ago, told how it would be a strategy/FPS where you would prepare the facility for the alien night onslaught much like in the film (which sounded great). From what I have seen so far, this is not that game. In truth the graphics are not where they should be for a title that has been this long in development or for one being released this late in the life-cycle for PS3. But letting go of the expectations, what Gearbox has achieved is a really great game experience that faithfully reproduces the sense of claustrophobia and tension of the original two aliens films. It has great characters, voice acting and environments that are also true to the original films. If like me, you have been waiting over 20 years for a competent sequel to Aliens, then in my opinion, its finally here. Expand
  27. Feb 13, 2013
    I ALSO just registered to leave my first score here... The first thing I am disappointed is that Steam doesn't do refunds... £29.99 months of anticipation and what do we get....?! THIS?? Did they mix the beta files with the supposed "final release" or what the hell happened?!
    The rest of comments build a proper picture of what this game is really like.
    I just went on it's facebook page
    and it is full of dissatisfaction as well. Some people defending it for SOME reason, but they can't be the fanboys right..?
    Like all of us who have bought this crap, I just feel insulted and very disrespected as a customer/gamer/Aliens fan.
  28. Feb 14, 2013
    The game had its ups and downs. The graphics weren't that great. I would say for taking a long time to create this game was good, but they didn't make it a game were we could stand up and applaud. Their was twitches in the game. They shouldn't of added when you fight he humans that sucked. Another thing I probably would of enjoyed it more if they didn't even make this game. So if anybody wants this game then probably don't buy this game it was dumb. The storyline to this was horrible to. Expand
  29. Feb 18, 2013
    Its funny this guys say bla bla graphics old...crysis 2 its more or less recent and have history not mencion borring game, not to say any play doom 3,halo,half life say omg they take ideas from all and do crysis...Game need be score for HISTORY,GRAPHIC,SOUND AND GAMEPLAY this is for all need learn before say a score im say that to magazines to.
    History 9
    Graphic 7
    Sound 9
    Gameplay

This game its not for fan it for people like FPS,love fun and...im in time start with atari and spectrum not like this noobs play playstacion II and quad core pcs think know all about games and put because of graphics low low score and this is not fair.
  30. Feb 12, 2013
    The previews looked really good but honestly the gameplay is horrible and the plot is embarrassingly dumbed-down. Also, the graphics only look good in the advertising. There are tons of glitches. The coop is actually okay but that's about it.

1. As a shooter, you’ve been here a hundred times before. As an Aliens game it suffers the pressure of the legacy on which it’s built, and the story is diabolically woeful. Game over, man. [April 2013, p72]
  2. Mar 24, 2013
    The representation of the xenomorphs is the game’s most damaging failure. They’re just not dangerous enough, reduced by a first mission deluge into a swarm of targets bearing the shape of a familiar, once-horrific symbol of death. But they have none of that pop icon’s grace or deadliness.
  3. Mar 21, 2013
    Buggy, ugly, and somehow unfinished after ten years...A huge disappointment. [Issue#229, p.68]