6.9

1. Aug 17, 2012
    This is hands-down the best Armored Core game to date, including V and For Answer. This is a rich detailed futuristic simulator that is fun even for the western audience. From Software did a great job developing this game.
  2. Oct 19, 2014
    Once upon a time I purchased Armored Core 4Answer. I loved it. But like most games I play I trade them in after I play them to death. Then one day I decided to purchase Armored Core 5: Verdict Day. They took out the ability to fly, the weapons and missiles all felt the same, buildings could no longer be destroyed, reverse leg joints had virtually zero difference with regular jointOnce upon a time I purchased Armored Core 4Answer. I loved it. But like most games I play I trade them in after I play them to death. Then one day I decided to purchase Armored Core 5: Verdict Day. They took out the ability to fly, the weapons and missiles all felt the same, buildings could no longer be destroyed, reverse leg joints had virtually zero difference with regular joint legs, they removed much of the automated targeting so it no longer felt like you were piloting an AC, it felt like a FPS with a robot on the screen, and WORST of all the feel of the game was just......it felt like a video game.

I traded in AC:V the next day and decided to try out the precursor to Armored Core 4Answer: AC:4
    I was NOT disappointed.
    I fell in love with this game from the moment I pressed start. The customization of my AC is unmatched. Each piece you purchase feels like a tangible piece of equipment. The feel of the game, and I'm not just talking about controls, just....everything is SO spot on. This game is probably the most underrated piece of software to ever exist, mostly because it is just one in a large series of AC games, and it's so painfully better than every other variation, especially the ones that followed it. It just FEELS perfect, and customizable to the extreme. I believe they tried to balance combat to a ridiculous extent as time went on, but any game with such beautiful freedom is going to be able to be broken, it's kinda part of the fun. They just needed to beef up some of the tankier class weaponry rather than nerf speed, and I realize I'm talking about the subsequent games as well, but I guess it doesn't really matter considering there is no longer online support for this game, at least not that I'm aware of. If you're going to get any AC game, SKIP 5, maybe pick up AC4A, but definitely try this one out. Once you understand the mechanics, it feels absolutely amazing to be able to craft any armored core you want. And those MISSILES! BEST MECHANICS FOR MISSILES in a video game EVER! They launch in clusters, rapid fire, vertical launch, target seeking, cluster missiles! It's almost unbelievable. It makes every other video game to ever contain a missile seem like the programmers were drooling idiots. 10/10 What more can I say.

1. Overall the mission design is boring and repetitive, the graphics are so-so, the online is blah, the customization is awesome, and the overall experience isn’t worth the price of admission. Pass. [JPN Import]
  2. Armored Core 4 is more accessible than its predecessors; and at its core, beneath the complicated controls and imposing arsenal of body parts, it's a pretty simple, superfast, graceful and smart mech-combat game, and it deserves your attention. [JPN Import]
  3. Could have been a much more adventurously designed PlayStation3 debut for the series. Sadly, Armored Core 4 represents a great opportunity, missed. [Mar 2007, p.106]