6.9

1. Nov 11, 2012
    "Who is responsible for ruining this once great franchise?" I'm going to get right to the point. This game is by far distances the worst in the series, it's simply not a good game, not only is it a bad AC game, it's just a bad game, period. You see, when there was backlash a year ago about Skyrim, it got a low score from fans here on Metacritic but not because the game was bad, it was because the game was bugged. When MW3 got a low score, it wasn't because the game is crap, it was because it was the same game being released year in and out. Earlier this year when Mass Effect 3 got poor ratings, it was because it had a terrible ending, not because the game was bad. Assassins creed 3 on the other hand suffers from everything those games got scrutinized for, and more. The story and ending are absolutely awful, the story in this series easily went from a very well thought out sci-fi/historical NY times best seller to a high school short story assignment which would have been graded an F, and unlike ME3 which had a great story not including the ending, this game suffers from poor story telling start to finish. The gameplay, there is hardly anything new here, what previous versions of the series did, they did well, here not only did previous gameplay mechanics get worse, but the little additions they brought in were either boring, or handled very poorly, with respect to naval battles. Unlike MW3 where everyone expected it to be the same, and was being sold as such with minor tweaks, AC3 was being sold as a bigger leap from AC2, than AC2 had from AC1, which is a complete and utter lie. The bugs, this game has so many bugs, it may not rival the likes of Skyrim on PS3, but there's a huge difference, Skyrim was actually a fantastic game, this is not. I have been a huge fan of the series since the first game, I've played every single game several times, watched short videos, read comics, played the handheld games. I have been a huge fan, AC2 is easily my game of the generation. AC3 on the other hand is my flop of the generation. It's missing so many core features previous installments had, from the non existent ambient music playing while exploring to the complete lack of stealth. The game is a mess from start to finish, it's really hard to invest yourself in the world or the characters, it's hard to care about them, Connor is absolutely boring, Desmond's story is a joke, the ending a disaster. You get tossed around so much during this game that it makes it feel like you are jumping from one thing to another, there's no clear path to anything, and it's not that there's a lack of hand holding, because that's all this game does for you is hold your hand, make sure not to let go as well, because if you try to approach an objective in a way you see more suitable, you will fail. You have to do it the way the developer wants you to do it, they want you to be their puppet. Well, I'm sorry but I refuse to be one and this will be my last AC game. Whoever was in charge of hiring the team that worked on AC3, forfeit your life savings, get on your knees and beg Patrice Désilets to return because he was the visionary behind this once great series. Even those who worked on Brotherhood and Revelations knew what the game was about, and they had much less time to do it all. This team, given 3 years showed us that they are nothing but a team of failures and their lack of experience really really shows. Heartbroken. Expand
  2. Oct 30, 2012
    AC3 is a all new AC Experience, it has a Read Dead Redemption feeling and the best things that you love on AC series. You watch the trailers, demos and theres no surprise, it is amazing like you saw by Ubisoft. Maybe GOTY 2012.
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    I am gonna get right to the point here. This game is NOT good. It has some redeeming qualities like the graphics and cinematics. But there seems to be a continuing theme for so many AAA titles. They just want so badly to be liked. They put cinematics and set pieces above everything else. This game is no different. It is basically cutscene, 2 minutes of gameplay, cutscene, 4 minutes of gameplay, cutscene, 3 minutes of gameplay. AND then you consider that the gameplay is usually walking around or riding on a horse. This is pretty bad. The game also starts off incredibly slow. Conner, the main character, is not nearly as likeable as Ezio or Altair, and his motives seem at times either predictable or just iffy. When the game picks up though, you notice just how simplistic the combat is. It is clear that they wanted to ripoff the Arkham games, especially if you pay attention to the music that plays during combat. It is nearly the same exact music found in Arkham City. BUT the combat found in AC3 is no where near as fluid or polished or fun as the Arkham games. Not even close. It fails hard. Glitches also plague the combat, as well as the overall main game. Horses glitching out, muskets flying around, enemies teleporting, some clipping issues, and dialogue glitches are forgivable I guess, but freezing camera glitches and getting stuck in terrain forcing you to restart is just pushing it. Add to this, braindead AI that is some of the worst I have ever seen in a video game, and you have a very pretty game that is anything but good. PLEASE don't be fooled by the marketing. This is a failure from Ubisoft. Not recommended. 3/10 Expand
  4. Oct 30, 2012
    I really REALLY wanted to like this game. I felt like this was a step backward in terms of gameplay, story, and well, just about everything. I have no idea what happened during the development of this game. Graphically, its downright gorgeous. Sweeping vistas, open ocean battles, and some of the best snow ive seen. But all of that doesnt mean s@#$ if the gameplay isnt up to snuff, and thats where AC3 falls to pieces. its buggy as hell. I shot up about 60 ft. in the air after jumping a fence. had several npc's floating around above the ground. All that wouldnt be so bad if i wasent for the f@#$ing controls. Ubisoft said they improved upon AC Brotherhoods controls. Well, dont fix what isnt completely broken. Controls have never been this series strong suit, but this is one the most frustrating thing ive experienced since the controls from GTA4. The one area where AC always blew me away is the story. But im 8.5 hours into this thing and im just barely scratching the main the story. If you cant get your main plot points out into the open in the first say 3-5 hours of the game, then something is wrong. The pacing is just atrocious.

The AI has been ratcheted up in difficulty a few notches. Ive been getting my ass kicked just about every fight i get into. Ive been spotted when i was clearly hidden at least 10 times.

All this is adding up to a fairly unenjoyable experience. If it as any other game i would just chalk it up as a lose and forget about it. But this is AC3 for christs sake. Its supposed to be one of the hallmark games of 2012. Ive been pumped for this thing for MONTHS. Im just so damned disappointed in this thing it hurts. On a side note, i just dont get these fanboys rating it a 10. A 10 game is perfection. It can get no better. Its at its pinnacle. They maybe come around once a year. Look at this game and tell me there is nothing that can be improved. Your lying to yourself and doing a disservice to your fellow gamers.
  5. Nov 1, 2012
    Assassins Creed 2 and Revelations are two of my favorite games of all time,,, This is not one of those............I found this game frustrating and annoying. The frustrating following and fail missions take away from the potential of greatness. It's also a sloppy mess. Game breaking bugs all over are inexcusable. Some or many of the missions are so linear with one path or fail way to play you wonder how they got away with marketing it as open world. I had to follow a guy in the city, had to start over so many times I cursed constantly at how they could do this to me for my hard earned dollars. Some of the combat is fun, the cities look great. I don't know if I'll play multiplayer as much of it is timed fail missions. I'm sorry, a lot of this game is not fun, frustrating and down right excessively boring... Starting over and over and over is the worst thing in gaming and cant get how they thought that would be fun... Collapse
  6. Nov 9, 2012
    Alex Hutchinson. I don't think I need to say more other than he absolutely slaughtered this series and he needs to find a new profession, but I will. He's made so many poor choices that have turned a once AAAA series into a piece of crap. There are so many things about this game that are awful that I simply do not know where to begin, nor do I feel like touching up on all of them as it would take too long, but for those who have been huge fans of the series and have played this game will know what I'm talking about. For those who are fans but are yet to play AC3, be warned that this is no longer Assassins Creed. They gutted it and slaughtered it. Alex Hutchinson had a horrible resume before he began working on one of the biggest endings to a trilogy this generation, whoever hired this failure made a huge mistake, and if he has any involvement in any potential future titles I will not be purchasing them, I'd like to see him removed from the industry all together. I've purchased every Assassins Creed game brand new to support great artists, but from now on, I'll buy used because I'm simply heartbroken over what they have done with this series, and the ending, I find it worse than Mass Effect 3, maybe because I'm more invested in AC than I am ME. Regardless, the ending makes me wish I never bothered paying attention to the story from AC1 forward. Then of course there's the boring protagonist, the flat setting, the lack of ambient music, the horrible main missions, the controls, how they destroyed controls that took nearly 5 years to perfect. Alex promised us challenging combat, lies. Bigger leap on gameplay from 2 to 3 than there was from 1 to 2, lies. Don't believe the critic scores, it's an 85 average which pretty much says, this is the lowest we can score this title without losing advertising benefits. Read the user reviews, the ones from the long time AC fans, not the ones who just started playing this year, the ones who have invested 5 years into the series, they know how bad this game is, and how badly Alex ruined this series with his lack of experience and vision. Ubisoft, fire this man. This game does have some great qualities to it, such as the climate changes, the graphics, the naval battles, but just like a sinking ship, it's hard to focus on anything good when the entirety of the game is drowning in it's many failures. The bottom line is, they made it look pretty, but it doesn't make up for the amount of crap this game spews at you, it's insulting really, Alex Hutchinson, remove yourself from the industry, or go back to making titles with low expectations because you are not fit for the big leagues, and to whoever decided to give Alex this position, it might be time to retire, clearly your judgement is horrible. **** YOU ALEX! Expand
  7. Oct 31, 2012
    First of all, let me be clear, I've been an Assassin's Creed fan from day one. I followed the development of every single game since it's conception. I have all the games, all the books, most of the merchandise. I even did some internshipping at Ubisoft to work on Brotherhood. I would go as far to say I'm a diehard fan. This is why, it pains me to say this. Appart from Revelations and the games on other handhelds, this is the weakest Assassin's creed and a blemish on the overall series. Don't get me wrong, it's not terrible and has fun parts, but it's an average game that is part of an overall franchise that stays away from the average. Let me break it down, so you see where I'm coming from and to make it clear I'm not "trolling".

The Cons:

The glitches. Oh, the glitches. This game is FULL of them. There have been a few that have made me chuckle, like a horse getting stuck on top of a house or a man stretching out like crazy after I hit him. The ones that really upset me though, where the game breaking ones. Such as guns missing from parts where you need to shoot, being unable to fire, escort missions where the NPC will get caught in a wall, the protagonist just falling though the floor into oblivion, the NPC's shooting through buildings. There's been several times I needed to restart due to a glitch. I'd let some of them slide, but this is an AAA title and there should never be glitches that break a game. This is 2012 for Christ sake. The AI is terrible too. You could be walking down a street, with no notoriety and suddenly five guards will come out of nowhere and kill you. Or you could be super wanted and walk by- even punch a guard- without getting them to attack you. The horse back riding is so bad... oh man. Horses- when shot- will fall over. They'll also fall over randomly when you hit a glich and die. The combat, now different than the other AC's, is like trying to drive a minivan with a popped tire. You'll lose half your health just taking out a group of guys. Guarding and countering doesn't work anymore. And good luck dodging. For some reason Muskets in 1777 are as accurate as sniper rifles now. huh. It starts out slow- I wont say spoilers, but it's about 4 to 5 hours in before you actually get to the meat of the game.

There all a lot of cut-scenes. It sorta brings you out of the game and it feels, sometimes, like a movie, but overall it's not that big of an issue. Pros:

It's BEAUTIFUL. More beautiful than AC2 or Skyrim or fallout. This game will make love to your eyes.
    The soundtrack is amazing too. The ship battles. Yeah, it's a learning curve, but it's not terrible. It becomes really fun later-on

Climbing on trees and free-running are smooth like butter. It feels fresh and natural. Connor is a very easily controlled character and you'll just have fun running around in the forest, The Protagonist. Shockingly, Connor is a really interesting character. Hunting is fun. There's no better feeling than stealth killing a bear from a tree. I can honestly say, as a "hardcore" assassin's creed fan, I was disappointed. I had very high hopes for this game, and I even expected something better than AC2. I'd recommend you play it, but don't go in with the high expectations of the people and reviews that are giving it 10/10 or perfects. I'd go in expecting an average game and you wont be too let down.
  8. Oct 30, 2012
    a lot of technical error harm this great game the graphics very good and sound tracks impressive and the story not as good as the last 4 games but still very good and must by for ps3 owner
  9. Nov 1, 2012
    If ever there was a series with incredible highs and irritating lows, it's the Assassin's Creed series. There are parts of Connor's story that are my favorite gaming moments of the year, and parts where I wanted to put down the controller and stop playing entirely. Like all AC games, the setting and research are the takeaway win. Ever wanted to play "People's History of the United States: The Game" ? Then again, I'm one of those nerds that actually sits and reads all the animus database history. Seeing that history come to life is why I play these games -- the "Frontier" map in particular is just so much fun to explore, glitches aside, like Skyrim with parkour. And I'll say it, it's really nice to see native people represented as something other than cliches and stereotypes. The research on the social and political structure of the Iroquois nation pays off in droves. The story... well, here's kind of where things start to fall apart. It's very clear Ubisoft bent over backwards to show a sweeping history of the U.S., from the French Indian war through to the end of the revolution, and in order to cover all that ground it takes a loong time. If you're a detail hunter, expect to wait about 10 hours for the world to open up. I'm not even kidding, it takes that long just to don the assassin hood. Each and every new feature has a stretched out tutorial mission, from hunting to tree climbing to basic combat maneuvers (all pretty self-explanatory), as if the developers were afraid we'd miss every single detail. Speaking of details, I'm a side quest fella, and the side quests in AC are always hit or miss. In AC 3 they range from the fantastic naval warfare (which could be its own game) to popular board games of the time (I honestly don't know why I kept playing those). Then there's some truly dull stuff, like exploring underground tunnels. Whether the side quests are fun or not matters immensely, because there's almost no payoff in the actual game. Money/Assassin partners are as useless as always, so all this trading and guild micromanaging is completely pointless and honestly a waste of the gamer's time. I don't want my time wasted, developers, remember this. Most importantly, their attention to detail and putting us in documented historical moments make the main missions feel super scripted, and it's pretty jarring to suddenly be scripted in a sandbox. The main missions are the worst the series has ever offered, just from their sheer dullness and frustrating fail rate based on whether or not I do exactly what the game wants me to do. A lot of the inconsistency in this game is a clear lack of cohesion - the guys developing the homestead "Sims" game was obviously not talking to the guys writing the story, and neither were talking to the naval warfare developers, and there was some nerd in the corner scripting AI for board games and no one knew where he came from. They went hog-wild for this game, and just couldn't wring themselves in. I know they cut "Philadelphia" pretty late in development, so someone must've said "no" somewhere, but the game feels, yet again, overstuffed. There was a lot of talk about their new anvil engine, but aside from a few new movement patterns and great graphical presentation, the game feels pretty much the same. Some of it pays off, some doesn't. Was this the... ahem... "revolutionary" new game in the series we were waiting for? Absolutely not. Is there great stuff in it? Yes.. But this is a troubled game, one I was really looking forward to and enjoyed only when climbing through trees to the top of a cliff and staring down at it all from afar. Expand
  10. Oct 30, 2012
    Another year and another Assassins's Creed game which basically plays itself. Yes, making a game to hard and challenging can frustrate people, yet making it too easy will bore them. Good game design means finding a balance between those 2 extremes. And it's might be just me, yet I take a little frustration over boredom any day in a game. Because managing something that was difficult leaves you with a feeling of accomplishment, finishing something that was boringly easy one the other hand just leaves you bored. And a game isn't supposed to bore you, causing boredom is pretty much the opposite of what a game should do.

Or maybe you are one of those people who enjoy to cheat in multiplayer games, or usually run through single player titles in god-mode, because in that case this might be a game for you. For those who require a little challenge in order not to grow bored with a game, better look elsewhere.
  11. Oct 31, 2012
    I'm about to laugh at all the negative reviewers because I think they just need to calm down. The introduction of the game is about 2 hours and yes it "forces" you through a lot of stuff, but AC3 wasn't designed for idiots with no patience. AC3 is for those die-hard fans who love the plot, and so these 2 hours are putting you through plot that you MUST endure if you have followed the story previously. DO NOT PLAY THIS GAME UNTIL YOU'VE PLAYED THE OTHERS. And if you're impatient and lazy and stupid then just don't bother. You will love the graphics and gameplay because the devs have put blood sweat and tears into those domains, but the game is mostly for the plot and the love. It's deep and will keep getting deeper. AC 4 LYFE!!! Expand
  12. Nov 3, 2012
    I'm surprised the user review average is this high and the critic review average is that low. This is usually the kind of game, part of a large series or not, that divides people completely. On the one hand, it's beautiful and cinematic and the story/characters feel fantastic. On the other hand, what a dreadful gameplay experience. If you think ACIII is going to be amazing because the past titles were done well enough and you were promised something better, don't feel bad as we all bought the hype. However, Resident Evil 6 was proof that even a high-budget AAA title from a company used to making quality titles could go from releasing super good games to "ugh, what is up with the controls and why did I just glitch through that thing and oh god my system is heating up" disasters. And ACIII is no different. Not only have some of the controls been remapped but the style of combat and exploration has also been greatly retooled for the worse. Riding horses is a nightmare, the new lockpicking minigame is a hassle, you have to chase collectibles, gone is the 'low profile' control set, guns have curiously gotten LESS advanced as time has progressed, and stealth seems to be not only completely optional but totally unnecessary except for those pass-or-fail missions where getting caught means a "try again" cutscene that plays into a loading screen. I loved the first 4 AAA titles in the series and I will complete this game as well because I'm a huge fan of the AC universe. But I will tell you right now, I won't enjoy it nearly as much as I was led to believe. I'm quite a ways into it and it just feels... unfinished and lacking in structure. ACII remains the best in the series by far. Expand
  13. Oct 30, 2012
    A series ends brethren! That's it, no more Assassin's Creed in future. I cannot go into details without spoiling, so I just say they pulled off Mass Effect 3 with this game. What a shame to see a legacy end like this. At least the story of Connor was good, whilst the story of Desmond was not. Funny how Lucy was never mentioned, looks like had no clue how to make a satisfying ending. It just come tumbeling down. Expand
  14. Oct 31, 2012
    I have been playing games and perusing Metacritic for years. ACIII is the first game to disappoint to such a degree as to drive me to comment. Wandering, lackluster, and frustrating. Ubi should be ashamed. This game can only meekly stand in the shadow of its predecessors. Go back, do it again, and get it right.
  15. Oct 30, 2012
    I just started it but so far i hate it. The Gameplay is the only thing that covered everything else. I hate the new system for everything. Animus Messages .. The **** and the gameplay itself is **** it was to fluent and you could barely control what was happening. In the last 5 games (including the one for the psp) the game felt stabilized and calm but in this ugh..... I wish they didn't change that up the game is honestly a sack of **** and i Loved this series sooooooo much but the control's like changing the counter button to be and the camera angles when you're in combat is why i hate this game. Also the menu. OMG it's to ****ing retarded the way how you have to use the right stick ad thing's like that, this is a bad way to end a series. Expand
  16. Oct 30, 2012
    Ok after playing a good half hour of it I can safety say that this will probably be my game of the year. Without spoiling much, the game seems to be much more cinematic that the previous titles. Even the theme song is epic and seems like something pulled put of a movie. Same goes with the intro mission of the game. It feels grand. The score really does it for me though. Its just epic. Anyone who's having second doubts, just buy it. Anyone who's new to the series, a great place to start although I would recommend playing the previous ones (maybe skip ac1 ) Expand
  17. Oct 31, 2012
    Well, I can say I have been really looking forward to this game! I have been a huge fan since I first played AC. I have played AC3 for 2 hours and my first impressions of the game ... the game play isn't the same (they have been working too hard to make it realistic in my opinion), the usual "AC feeling" is gone (you know, a cool assassin, good story, great locations). They've put too much time into making the game realistic (and complicated). It should have been a better idea to spend more time on debugging ... I've spotted several bugs already. It still is a good game though, but no AC game ... I liked the previous AC games more than I like this one. Expand
  18. Nov 9, 2012
    This is the worst game in the series. I have more frustration than fun playing this. First is the performance, the texture pop-in is ridiculous in the city. Second thing is the counter system, the new counter system doesn't work, if I counter a guy with a hidden blade, it should be instant kill. Why the f can they counter me?! NO! Just no! The third thing is the main character, Connor is just some generic angry guy, Altair and Ezio were much better main characters. Fourth thing is the lack of customization, there's no armors to buy for Connor, combine that with the broken counter system, the combat is frustrating and not fun. Fifth and this is the reason that made me quit playing the game and give this game such a harsh score, the fking Thomas Hickey chase! I hope your bonus is tie in someway to Metacritic scores, whatever team that designed this mission, you deserve to get your bonus reduced for this damn mission! In all other AC games, you're a damn assassin, you run faster than the target you're chasing, but I've been playing for more than 15x, still Thomas Hickey runs faster, wtf?! This is with patch 1.01 btw, so if anything, the patch should've fixed well known issues like this. Don't buy this game, save your money and watch the ending on YouTube, that's what I plan to do. F this game. Expand
  19. Oct 30, 2012
    I just got the game tonight, and so far it's my favorite AC, even beats 2. New animations looks slick and smooth, graphics are pretty good, and game-play is your typical AC-game. Connor is on par as a character with Ezio for me. I also liked the first naval battle, it was something fresh for the series. Also the scenery is really nice in the game, I've already grown tires of Italy, so that's also +. I highly recommend this game. :) Expand
  20. Oct 30, 2012
    If you're a fan of the Assassin's Creed series, you'll feel right at home with AC3. Ubisoft has breathed new life into the series with a Revolutionary War setting in colonial America, and its just as authentic as you've come to expect. Every aspect of the game has been improved, free running is faster, easier, and more fluid and combat is an absolute joy, although the controls have been slightly tweaked so it may take a battle or two for fans to get accustomed to. As usual the story and realism of the environment is what really stand out here, developers have outdone themselves this go around. It all culminates into one spectacular experience that players won't soon forget. Expand
  21. Oct 31, 2012
    Before I begin, just want to state that I have NOT finished the game. Have spent a good chunk of last night and this morning playing the game, and wanted to share my views thus far. First off, the game is utterly beautiful. The landscapes, cities, character models... all are exquisitely detailed and captivating. You may find yourself just standing still and taking it all in. But lets face it, that has always been a major part of the AC universe. The storyline is grand and sweeping, and I was shocked to start not only as Desmond or Connor, but as a new character. If you are curious how much time this game is going to take.... it took me one hour of play just to get to the opening credits after going through the prologue. Four more hours until I got my first glimpse of Connor.

Now, the downside of what I have noticed so far. The controls are greatly improved, but are still lacking in many ways. Part of is my slavish insistence to use the old controls, hard to break that RT + A free run habit. Once you do, the paths are pretty smooth and Connor is not as Clunky as his predecessors, though unfortunately a lot less likable than the affable Ezio. I have not yet noticed a difference in Combat. It doesn't feel all that smooth, but it could be that it was intentionally this way for the young Connor and the older character played at the start. Hoping this improves as the game goes on.

My biggest frustration this far has been with the AI and some of the button mashing sequences. The AI has seemingly been ramped up(again it could be due to the character progression) and can be ridiculously frustrating. It seems, at times, for being such a master Assassin that stealth isn't an option. The guards in the early Boston missions are hyper-alert and spot you no matter what you do. It seems the hiding spots are sparse and because of the open map plan you typically get spotted before being able to use them. One mission I completed while at level 3 notoriety because after 5 attempts I couldn't get to the mission markers without being spotted and chased by hordes of baddies. While I enjoy the combat sequences, I also enjoy the stealth aspect just as much, and it is aggravating having to replay missions over and over again because you can't disappear into the crowd as easily as previous titles. I like a challenge as much as the next guy, but lets face it, there is such thing as TOO MUCH.

Other frustrations come from in-game sequences such as lock-picking and on rails fight sequences. To pick a lock, you have to rotate LS to a certain point and hold it, then rotate RS to a point and hold it, and then Mash RT repeatedly. If you let up on the sticks at all, you have to start back at square 1. Almost threw my controller 3 minutes into the game. I am not a fan of "Button Mashing Sequences" (Press A then Y then X repeatedly, etc). These flash so quickly up onto the screen that you tend to miss the direction. You can figure out the pattern, but it is frustrating to be sure. The missions themselves are passable, but they seemingly set you up to fail the sub-challenges. I enjoy trying to get full sync on the missions, and there are times on this game where that feels impossible. On one mission, for example, you aren't supposed to kill any guards, but you have to collect a map from inside a tent. One guard stands directly in front of the tent and patrols a 3 foot path across the entry. If there is a way to distract him and send him away, the game didn't tell me. After multiple replays (again, the guards have an uncanny ability to spot you(and in this stage you are playing as a supposed "master"), I had no choice but to assassinate the guard, failing 2/3 sub-challenges on the mission. I had NO desire to go back and replay. On another mission you are supposed to make a river rescue without touching the water... Connor immediately jumped straight into the water after the cut scene.

I have voiced my concerns, but don't feel like I am saying the game is inherently bad. It has some frustrating aspects to be sure. The thing is, the game is still fun and exciting. I still enjoy traversing the environment and the story. I am looking forward to seeing what happens next. Time will tell as to how I ultimately feel about this game. Right now I am enjoying it, but have had some very frustrating moments. I love the challenge of games, but to me it isn't fun having to replay missions over and over again. If it continues, it may turn out that this title ends up collecting dust on my shelf as I move on to BO II or other titles coming out. So far it is worth the investment... but I would caution buyers that you need to be patient with it. If you are not willing to work your way through the lengthy intro to get to the main character... this game may not be for you.

*Note- I had this nicely spaced out and paragraphed... MetaCritic forces it into a Wall of Text. FAIL.
  22. Nov 1, 2012
    Assassins Creed has always been one of my favourite games, that was until Revelations came along which was a blatant cash in offering nothing new. The highlight of the series has been Brotherhood in my opinion. So here is Assassins Creed 3.

I won't spoil anything but this game takes ages to get going, I'm talking hours I'm all up for setting the scene but to be honest its dull, I don't
    want to have my hand held I want to be treated like I have the intelligence to do things my way not be punished if I go off the path. The environments are beautiful - especially the Frontier which is alive with dense forest, animals going about their day and deep sparkling snow. The cities in comparison are alive but feel "generic" . Cut scenes are everywhere which really dig into the immersion as do the messy menus which lift you out of the game.

At the start for reasons you'll discover you can't climb the trees and this drip feeding of abilities is like Gran Turismo saying you can't get out of second gear until you have proved you can go round a corner without crashing.

I hope it picks up I really do but I can't help but feel this has run its course now.
  23. Nov 8, 2012
    AC3 is one of the more bizarre games i've played recently. A schizophrenic experience of ambitious new features like the Homestead, Naval battles and teh Frontier added to the traditional Ac formula. Despite a grand premise the game falls flat. Firstly,the pacing is atrocious - you'll spend most of the main story doing 'tutorial missions' which ironically do a poor job. Next, Connor is a wooden void of a character drivng a story that hops about without any sense of purpose with interesting characters like his mother cast aside so you can meet a who's who list of American historical figures who are mostly bland. Even though all the new features are beautifully done, they feel detached and unimportant to the main game. and it's the main game that has had the least care given to it. Even improvements like the combat and animations have issues. Tho Connor feels faster and maneuverable on the ground the parkour has worsened; despite being simplified it feels sticky and unpredictable. The Ai is still painfully erratic, and the mechanics clunky, making stealth at times borderline-broken. Pop-in and gliches abound, horses are simply awful and combat is so easy, it's a superior strategy to take on a fort of 30 gun-and sword weilding soldiers in a straight on fight than attempt a stealthy infiltration. AC3 is in many senses a great achievement, in others a painful, bloated mess, that could have done with Ubisoft addressing core issues that have plagued the series before they decided to add so much on top. Expand
  24. Nov 8, 2012
    This is the worst Assassin's Creed in the series (I think is even worse than Revelations...). The story of this game is absolute boring, specially the past part wich is the 80% of the game, but the Desmond story was even worse... Specially the ending which is specially bad, not to mention all the bugs that game haves, it feels like an unfinished game. If you want a real AC experience just play AC2 and AC:B instead of this game... About the online part, at fist looks good, but it doesn't have many variety on places to play, and most of them looks the same. Also all the customization parts for characters are overpriced, I already have played like 70 times online, I'm in level 31 and I still doesn't have enough credits to allow me to buy character stuff, only skills.. obviously they want us to spend real money on it, also the rewards (videos) for leveling up on the online game are not good as the ones in AC:R.

So, I'm afraid this is not an AAA title anymore. Not buying another AC on the release.
  25. Oct 30, 2012
    Bad game. Terrible game. This is the fifth AC game to come out it and it still plays and looks the same. I was excited when the previews said that this is by far the best yet but that is sadly false. This game is identical to any other game in the series. I would politely say pass. I got it from Gamestop and had to return it right away. I thought I was actually playing AC2 again because GS gave me the wrong game. Expand
  26. Nov 1, 2012
    Let me start of by saying Assassins Creed II was one of my favorite games because it was such a step forward from Assassins Creed 1. . I Hated brotherhood and revolution because i felt like they where the same game. And they didnt change much at all compared to AC2. I was worried that this might happen for AC3. Apsolutely not.! the graphics are amazing, the gameplay is amazing and they are after changing alot of things about this game. i would mark it a 10 but i find one thing wrong with this game. it sometimes lags a bit ! but other than that. Perfect Expand
  27. Oct 30, 2012
    I was worried at first about the setting but its really turned out to be a great experience. The graphics first off are great. Landscape and buildings are good enough to interest you in walking around old america to see the original cities. Combat is fun as expected and guns dont damage it nearly as bad as id expected. Theres plenty of cutscenes to keep you fully interested in whats going on and who it involves so you always want to keep playing just to see more story. It really is an amazing entry to the series and i find myself hoping to see more games come out involving this timeframe.so knowing i walked into this game uninterested and not wanting such a jump in time setting to saying hey this game is a 10 was a shock to me. But i do love it thats for sure. It was well done Expand
  28. Nov 1, 2012

1. Mar 6, 2013
    The Assassin’s Creed formula of fighting and parkour is starting to get old, even with the ability to climb trees now. Maybe it’s the repetitiveness of the series, or maybe it’s just less interesting to toss crates of tea into the harbour than to hunt and kill corrupt bishops.
  2. Dec 3, 2012
    This review is getting long-winded so let's wrap it up. Assassin's Creed III is the biggest and most ambitious Assassin's Creed title yet, but a few missteps leaves it short of being the series' best. In spite of my excessive nitpicking, Assassin's Creed III is great game and a must-have for any Assassin's fan.
  3. Nov 26, 2012
    A great continuation of the Assassin's Creed series because of the strong visuals, gameplay and story. Though it must be said that the story gets somewhat boring towards the end, which leaves a sour taste.