7.7

1. Oct 27, 2013
    Broken game. That's all that needs to be said. Framerates at one point (around the halfway point I guess?) render this game completely unplayable. Prior to that it was pretty fun, it's just reskinned Arkham City with almost no new features and a worse story (although still good). I won't bother reviewing this because it is simply a broken product, and possibly the worst frame rates I've ever seen (I've played PS3 Skyrim and Dragon Age Origins). No broken product deserves a score higher than 0, no matter how good it is, shame on you WB. Expand
  2. Dec 4, 2013
    If Arkham City was The Dark Knight of video-games, Arkham Origins is the Batman and Robin.

Written with the consistency of wet excrement flung at a bouncy castle, Arkham Origins has an utterly nonsensical plot that is a genuine struggle to sit through. Batman is portrayed as a whiny, arrogant teenage like figure, with the phrase, "you're not my real dad!" threatening to leave his mouth
    in every conversation with Alfred. In fact the only character where the writer's didn't seem to completely miss the point was The Joker, though that's likely because 90% of his dialogue was taken straight from The Killing Joke (and most of it didn't even make sense in context.
    The combat is broken, which is confusing as all they had to do was keep the strange system from the previous game to avoid that happening, yet somehow Batman has most of the same attacks (with a couple removed) and gets confused during freeflow, causing him to punch the air randomly instead of another opponent.
    Similarly, he cannot counter if in the middle of punching someone, which means the vast majority of the time you'll just have to let him get punched in the head and ruin your combo.
    The people who were positive about this game are in denial, as I was the first week I played it, attempting to convince myself it was good simply because I'd looked forward to it for so long. Instead Arkham Origins became the first game I've traded in in over two years. If you buy it not only are you wasting your money, you're sticking your fingers up at the games that came before it.
  3. Feb 7, 2014
    Now that is a bad Batman game. I've played all the Arkham games and this was completely ruined the franchise. I know Rocksteady did not make this one, but I am absolutely done with these games. The fighting is tiresome, boring, and unimaginative. Actually, that's how the whole game is.
  4. Oct 28, 2013
    Incredibly disappointing, Gotham city is empty and generic with no fanfare or personality. This is not an open world game since there is no world here. Combat is still great, but feels rushed with many button inputs being unresponsive such as the R-trigger+ Triangle takedown combo. Grappling around town is a mess with the grapple gun being indecisive on what it can and cannot hook onto. Gliding around town also suffers from awful framerate with the game freezing multiple times. I understand this game is pushing the hardware limit, but having Batman crash on a new Ps3 multiple times in unacceptable. The game feels rushed with it's numerous technical issues. It also feels like a complete cash grab with little ideas of it's own. The inclusion of multiplayer is the largest failure since it turns the game into a generic throwaway 3rd person shooter. The game isn't all bad though as the cutscenes are extremely well done and the actual detective work is no longer boring.

Overall though this game is a rushed cash grab littered with many bugs and glitches. Arkham Origins lacks personality and is missing much of the "world" found in open world games. It's easily the weakest in the series and I recommend waiting until a price drop to play Batman Arkham Origins
    Score: 4/10
  5. Oct 30, 2013
    Bugs, copy and paste boss battles (excluding Deathstroke), unresponsive controls and an on-par storyline honestly left me disappointed in this game. It is not the prequel Arkham City deserved. Such a simple concept (especially with the game mechanics already designed for you) yet so poorly pulled off. I went into the game expecting miracles, I came out frustrated and bored with such a mediocre game. However, the new models and cast do deserve some praise. It felt rushed and released for no other purpose than to pull in another buck. This game is not worth your time. Expand
  6. GDL
    Oct 30, 2013
    Very poor for a 3rd outing, most of the side quests are now just repeated beyond the sanity of the player.
    Storyline was ok, a little on the slow side since you're pulled left and right by side quests or police calls.
    Boss fights are reworked QTE, hidden well but nothing that improves on the quality of the game.

Buy The first two and leave this one to the bargain bin.
  7. Oct 29, 2013
    Arkham Origins storyline doesn't come near as good as Arkham City. In fact it's boring. Plus the whole game lacks originality and is basically a reincarnation of Arkham City. If you played Arkham City you will most likely be disapointed. The repetitiveness and lack of new ideas is a major fall back.
  8. Nov 2, 2013
    Attempts to bully and bury the negatives from Arkham City failed, the bait and switch was not forgotten and despite an artificial image crafted to paint AC as a hit, the truth shows in the sequel. The lack of preregisters, the lack of advertising, everyone knew this was a non-starter. Pity because the graphics are much better. Story isn't as bad, although DC still refuses to grasp that fans decide what villains matter and it isn't something you can dictate. No one but lemmings care about "Black Mask" and the game suffers. There is nothing epic here. Why does this episode in Batman's life rate a game? At least the trainwreck of Paul Dini's bait & switch are gone, but too late to save the franchise. Better graphics and better gameplay. What a waste. Expand
  9. Feb 10, 2014
    The game was decent, it was fun but not as great as either of the last two but I'm giving it a zero because Warner Bros Games still hasn't fixed any of the major bugs in the game and apparently doesn't plan too as they are "too busy working on dlc for the game" to actually fix the freaking game, and I cannot support that in any way.
  10. Nov 22, 2013
    WB have in my opinion effectively ruined the arkham franchise. This game has an awesome story, but is unfortunately overshadowed by its many flaws. The first & main one that I'll mention is the free flow combat system, it prob the thing we all enjoy most from the arkham games and in this version, it is broken! No longer do u feel like the batman, but rather an idiot running around in a batsuit. In the previous 2 games if u were in the middle of a strike u were able to counter & I went back & played the previous ones to be sure. Now in this one, u literally have to almost be standing still to do a counter. It has made the game exteremly frustrating to play, I played it for a few days and that was prob only the story that kept me going, but eventually the complete mess of a combat system that WB has put it eventually made me just stop playing. Now that says a lot because in the previous 2, I did not want to stop playing, in Arkham City I went back and conpleted new game plus and did all the challenge maps. Those 2 made me want to go back and play more, whereas with this one, I dont even feel like finishing it once. Aside from that there are various other flaws, mainly glitches, in predator rooms, I would have 2 guards stuck in a doorway, u could see their legs moving but they were not going anywhere. Another glitch and I dont understand why WB put in this new system where u have to achieve certain objectives to unlock specific gadgets, was after completing one of them & unlocking the sonic batarang I saved and switched off. When I restarted the game the next day, the gadget was somehow locked again, but it showed that I had the trophy for that specific objective. On the same topic, I would be running around on the rooftops and have these achievements poppin up for doing nothing related to the actual objective. All of this combined with the game sometimes stuttering, the sound just dissapearing whenever I fast travel and the numerous other glitches that have been reported, including infinite falling and corrupted save game files make this a very dissapointing entry into the Batman Arkham series. Asylum and city did not have any glitches aside from some texture pop ins every once in a while. In my opinion they should have just let it end with Arkham city, it had such an awesome story, u had catwoman in it, the gameplay was perfect and the ending was brilliant. In closing I will say that if there is another Batman Arkham game in the future, which is made by Rocksteady, I will be first in line to buy it, if in the other hand its made by WB again, not a chance I'll even look at it. Expand
  11. Nov 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game felt more like an expansion pack than anything. The map was pretty much the same as in Arkham City with only a few small changes and Christmas decorations added. The story was incredibly short compared to the other games. It was a huge let down. Also it was advertised that the main villain in this one would be black mask, something different and fresh, but its just the damn joker again, this is reveled early too. There are so many other villains that could be used instead of the same one over and over again, its repetitive. The side missions in this one sucked, most were find and destroy ones nothing exciting. Then when you collect all the Riddler data-packs absolutely nothing happens, wtf. You can only play death-stroke in the challenge arenas even though at the end it is made out to seem like he will get his own little story line, but that will probably just be a DLC to be released. As much as this game was priced as I would expect it to seem like a new game not an expansion and I want a complete game not one that you have to get the DLC to finish a story it starts. Expand
  12. Apr 7, 2014
    completely unimaginative! I like the story and the combat, but the rest? NO! it’s garbage! cheap skins, more bugs then you could shake a stick at, same city, only remodeled and only slightly wider. would I recommend this? only if you haven’t played the last 2 games yet. and to add to the insult, they game us the exact skin a lot of people said they did not want! horrible game, horrible company. i'm not a guy that'll just bash to bash, but we gotten things we specifically asked not to. it's like they're just ignoring us completely. Expand
  13. Mar 20, 2014
    "The team is currently working hard on the upcoming story DLC and there currently are no plans for releasing another patch to address the issues that have been reported on the forums"

That should be reason enough to warn you that this game is garbage. **** WB, and **** WB Montreal. Get your priorities straight. I'm not buying your damn DLC until your damn game is fixed.

Almost every
    series has that "one" entry that fans ignore and brush off as if it never happened, This is that "one" entry.

Just as an example of how terribly this was made, in one part of the game, where you're after the Penguin, I was able to literally walk up to all of his henchmen and knock them out without a fight at all.
    It also kept freezing constantly. Biggest waste of money ever.
  14. Dec 30, 2013
    It absolutely stuns me that anyone would give this game a 10. Looking at the closest score, corvettecrazy26 only talked about how Batman (the character) looked, posted the day it came out! 14 people thought that review was helpful? In what way? How is the game different? How it is the same? How does it play?

I'll tell you how it plays. Garbage. It stuns me that this game has any sort of
    green rating. Typing here is almost a waste of time. The combat is clunkier from the other Arkham games (I get that Batman's new, but does that mean put a penalty on the player?) and the story is so cut and paste from every Batman movie that exists. Except maybe the one with a shark, cause that was in the last game.

Even now, with it's lower price of 40 dollars, you can instead buy both Asylum and City, it's prequels, and get all of their DLC. A much better deal.

Positives: Troy Baker makes a good Joker, and his monologue is pretty good. Didn't like just about everything else.
  15. Jun 30, 2014
    To get strait to the point, this game is just bad. The fighting feels broken, the predator maps and sections feel half done, and worst of all the over hyped assassins play a optional role most of the time taking a back set to the Joker. Not even the Black Mask was giving a strong role. Black Mask being the man mainly advertised for the game.

1. Jan 3, 2014
    Arkham Origins is a game with two sides. One is a well made game with good design in combat and stealth. The other side is a game that never gets out of the shadow of its predecessors. Batman fans should pay attention but that’s it.
  2. Dec 20, 2013
    Initiation is a very regular package, which relies on the idea of the origins of the bat and retrieves the imagination of Batman Begins, but then binds the player into a series of challenges from a widely known flavor.
  3. Dec 13, 2013
    I really hope that Rocksteady can still teach an old bat new tricks, because WB Games Montreal failed to advance the series. What we have here are old gameplay mechanics – which still work fine by the way – sold to us for the third time and supplemented with a bit of fresh ideas that don’t have a sufficient impact on the whole game (and sometimes are simply bad). [13/2013, p.56]