• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Dec 9, 2013
    This game plays much like Heavy Rain and Walking Dead. If you enjoyed these don't hesitate to buy this. Many of the negative reviews here are complaining about this style of game play which isn't for say someone looking for a call of duty shooter. If you are looking for an excellent scifi story driven game with (at times) the best graphics on any console this game is for you. Clocking in at about. 9 hours (exploring areas fully) this was one of the few great stories that once I started playing I couldn't put the controller down. The walking dead and the last of us are probably the only two games that come even close in terms of emotional story telling. It should also be noticed that the voice acting, music, and sound effects are top notch.
    The controls, story pacing, and limited effects of choices are some valid concerns but really shouldn't dissuade you from playing. If you played walking dead the controls are similar but way less buggy in Beyond.
    Personal highlights from the game are the emotional story, some unexpected and spooky scenes, interesting and thoughtful gameplay using Aiden, and some amazing graphics. So glad I gave this game a chance as it's right up there with bioshock and the last of us for game of the year.
  2. Dec 9, 2013
    This Game is great and downright beautiful. but you have to bare this in mind Quantic dream's last title Heavy rain did it a little better I like "OH man if I don't make the right decision I'm going to up." While Beyond: Two Souls had those moments but they didn't carry as much weight:

Overall They game is great game I recommend you give it a Try
  3. Dec 15, 2013
    Beyond is not just a game, it is a totally different and commendable interactive and emotive experience. Sometimes too ambitious for its own good, but I loved it and I hope Quantic Dream continues surprising us with their quality.
  4. Dec 22, 2013
    A work of art, I've never been so involved in a plot since... Ever! Graphics are the best I've ever seen in a game, character's expressions are just perfect, objects and stuff are OK, but I haven't seen any game do it better. I just wish the storyline was as much as changeable according to your actions as it was on Heavy Rain. An absolute must play, remarkable experience.
  5. Dec 29, 2013
    Below is my personal point of view about Beyond: Two Souls game. Please, note that as a player I was quite sceptical about interactive-movie game genre, but Beyond: Two Souls changed my opinion on the matter completely. Now I believe that good interactive-movie is the best format of telling truly amazing stories.

The story.
    Beyond: Two Souls is a heavily story-driven game, as any good
    interactive movie should be. Both genre of the story, and how exactly the story is told, make the game so very special. Personally, I'm not a fan of paranormal stories, but this game managed to show me such story in an unusual perspective and with very interesting ideas. The Infraworld and the Entities for example remind me the Fade and Spirits/Demons concepts from Dragon Age series, concepts that I find very interesting to think about and play with. Specific relanionship between Jodie and Aiden is also very interesting concept. And of course, what attracts me the most to the story the philosophical thinking about how different people are treating something/someone alien and each other. Thinking that is very important nowadays.

Ideas used in a game are very important, but they are not the only thing that shape the story. Representation of all these ideas is not less important. And that part of Beyond: Two Souls is just brilliant. The amazing actors' work and all the technologies that were used to move this work into game with awesome graphical engine, combined with beautiful music, great ideas and interesting scenario made the game masterpiece. I can't remember a book, movie, or game that seemed so important and so real for me. I played through the game twice already each time the same deep feelings and thoughts, each time I applauded in the end. Literally.

The gameplay.
    Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is mostly QTE, however I can't call this a disadvantage. Simply, because Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is very diverse and interesting. It uses the entire gamepad. Movement with left stick and looking with right stick reminds any modern third person game (but has much more diferent animations than any regular game). 8 different buttons can be used in three different ways (press, press-and-hold, press-rapidly), and in combinations with each other. Swipe-like interactions with right stick remind swipes common for mobile games very intuitive and handy. Even gyroscope and accelerometer are used. In addition to all of that, Beyond: Two Souls contains elements of different game genres stealth action, cover shooter, simulator, and quest. Finally, Jodie and Aiden gameplays are completely different. Basically, I can't recall any FPS, TPS, or RPG game that has such diverse gameplay possibilities, especially non-combat gameplay possibilities.
    Some people may say that Beyond: Two Souls has too small amout of gameplay, and I will disagree. The game has enough amount of gameplay. It's not too large, so I never got bored with doing the same thing over and over again. And it's not too small, so I get perfect level of immersion, and feel like I'm participating in the story's events, not just observing.
    Some people may also say that impossibility of protagonist's death is the game's disadvantage. But it is not, actually. It fits this particular story very well. And there are other good story-driven games that prove I'm right, for example Planescape: Torment and Darksiders-2. Beyond: Two Souls story depends on player's actions, but not in the way if you will die or not during the gameplay, but in the way of changing turn of events in the story's key moments.
    What I liked the most in Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is melee combat. I found it very dynamic, exciting, and sometimes very challenging. It was really exciting to see fully motion captured diverse melee and run scenarios with a lot of key-points for intuitive interactions, which are not always easy to perform. This kind of melee combat requires attention and concentration, it looks and feels really great and realistic, and honestly, I would prefer such melee gameplay over any other variants of melee regular games can offer nowadays.
    One more thing worth mentioning is dialogue system. What I like about it is that unlike other dialogue systems, it's quite challenging. You can't trigger dialogue scene, then go drink some coffee, talk to your fiends for a while, make a couple of calls, and then return to the game just to see the dialogue scene as you left it 20 minutes ago. Dialogue options are fading in matter of seconds. Sometimes they are blinking and flouncing in accordance to your character's condition when Jodie is tired or angry for example, and it quite hard to say something right in such a condition, just like in real life.

The conclusion.
    Playing Beyond: Two Souls is really amazing game experience.
  6. Oct 27, 2013
    Excellent cinematic experience with great presentation and story. I didn't like the cheap scares seemed dumb to me at the time. Enjoyed the story, which was even touching at times. The reviews spectrum is very wide so I suggest you get it if you have played and liked Heavy Rain (to me, one of the best games ever).
  7. Mar 24, 2014
    What is there left to say about the games of David Cage? He's obviously passionate about games as an art form, but much like Ed Wood, he fails to understand what makes his medium truly great.

Interactivity is the whole basis of video games. You're not being told a story, you're LIVING that story. It can provide extremely interesting situations for players and add lots of replayability.
    This is where all of Quantic Dreams' efforts fail. These stories are very linear, with Beyond leading the pack as the most linear of all of them.

Jodie Holmes is the star of the story, possessing strange paranormal powers. We follow her through her life and explore what led her to where she is today. With the help of htis paranormal entity known as "Aiden", Jodie is thrust into adventure and drama as she tries to live her life. Beyond is another of the "Your choices matter" type of games that have been plaguing the industry ever since Mass Effect and Bioshock popularized the concept. In this, though, your choices never really feel like they impact the story. It always seems like Cage is more concerned with telling you his narrative than letting you discover your own.

Jodie's character is never really built-up because the game can't decide where to go with its story. It's almost laughable just how silly it is to see Jodie trying to speak to a native kid over in Syria (or wherever they were). It's a shame because there are very good sequences in the game, such as the homeless section, that actually say a lot by staying silent. Other sequences, however, are just the worst they can come. In-particular, the war sequence, the birthday party, many of the child sequences, and the rape are just cringe-worthy writing that even the most exploitative of works don't attempt.

The chronology of Beyond is strange, as it's told out of sequence for no apparent reason. All it seems to use this for is to place important plot information in a flashback right before the level where you need said information. Seems like an afterthought more than a narrative tool.

And lastly, the gameplay of Beyond. Largely consisting of QTE's and occasional (and I do mean occasional) ghost segments, there's not much else to talk about. There are very few times where you can actually fail the mission objectives. As a matter of fact, the game crashed more than I lost on the normal difficulty, a total of three times. The game is restrictive rather than limited with its gameplay segments and once again makes me wonder why these elements aren't used in a budget game that could be produced faster and cheaper and still retain the same quality apart from graphics.

For the third time in a row, Cage has made an uninteresting mess of game that has the foundation of potential surrounding it. If he would just listen to his critics instead of shoehorning his ideas wherever he sees fit, he may just be able to make a truly great and unforgettable game. For now, Beyond doesn't succeed at a single thing it attempts aside from graphics.

Want games with branching pathlines and choices that matter? Try Fallout: New Vegas or Virtues Last Reward.

Want games with excellent stories and good dialogue? Try Deus Ex or Spec Ops: The Line.

Want a game with QTE's and not much else? Try Beyond: Two Souls.
  8. Dec 24, 2013
    My PS3 Game of the Year for 2013! Wow! The realism blew me away. To think this level of graphics and life-like character modelling is possible on a piece of outdated hardware (yes, the PS3), is unbelievable. Sure, I've just completed The Last of Us before playing this. But, wow, I didn't expect to be more amazed at this game. The emotions that is conveyed through the digitized version of Ellen Page is so strong. I cried at a few of the more touching junctures. You know, I love movies, but to be able to be a part of a movie, and have your decisions and actions affect the "movie", is really somethin special. I want a sequel to this beautiful interactive "movie". I love everything about this game, except the story was being told in a haphazard manner where the sequence of events are not played out in chronological manner, but in a jumbled-up manner. In conclusion, this is one unique game. Totally worth the experience! Expand
  9. Dec 30, 2013
    The story and graphics are fantastic, the story gripped me instantly and I cannot wait to replay this game as there was so many different ways each scene could have ended and lots of hidden things to see and do in them,
  10. Oct 27, 2013
    Ellen Page really transforms this game into a true emotional experience. While the story is a bit choppy at first due to being split into different parts which aren't playing in the order they happened in, it eventually all comes together in one big, heart-tearing finale.

While it has some minor flaws in pacing and isn't very challenging, I definately recommend it to anyone who enjoys
    games such as Heavy Rain or the Telltale Games.

Don't let bad reviews scare you away.
    Play the demo and you'll see for yourself that this game is a true gem.
  11. Dec 27, 2013
    Whether defined as visual novel, interactive movie of video game, Beyond: Two Souls is undoubtedly excellent entertainment. What's more, Quantic Dream have done incredible work pushing the PS3 (by now "outdated hardware" to its limits) with amazingly high production values. As a fan of Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) I can only recommend.
  12. WEL
    Oct 12, 2013
    I thought the story-telling was very clever and interesting because by making it like this it was near impossible to predict. It was very easy to mix the drama with the action without it feeling forced like in 90% of video games where the need for the repetitive gameplay is constantly getting in the way. It was like a puzzle that kept you wondering "what is going on?" but that by the end everything would fall into place.

But of-course I knew people would hate it though since many don't seem to be able to let go of the traditional and see things with a more open mind. To me the game was fantastic. More like an art that people don't want to appreciate because of their pre-conceptions of what a video game should be. But at the end this game is not about gameplay or skill but about an experience that can't be replicated by a movie or book even with its many cliches and awkward writing.
  13. Dec 27, 2013
    This game packs a graphical punch similar to Uncharted 2. This game along with gt6 is one of the reasons I'm disappointed with the next gen consoles so far. The story is extremely deep and teaches you a lot of things about life you may never of even considered. However, the experience isn't really about you. It's about the main character and all your decisions inevitably shape the same inevitable story until the very end. Their are stunning vistas in this game from all over the U.S including some places you can traverse by horseback(only in one section of the game). The main problem is their is very little replayability and no punishment for making mistakes. The choose your own adventure style of heavy rain is instead replaced with one of the most beautiful action packed games on the ps3. Expand
  14. Oct 19, 2013
    First of all, if you're just a gamer that wants to blast people's heads off than this may not be your type of game.
    But with amazing graphics, a very good story line and a really good cast of actors this games grabs you at the beginning and doesn't let go of you till the end credits. This game made me play for 8 hours straight with a little break in between, but that's really rare for
    games these days.

People say the game is short, but it's not shorter than any other single player story of any other game.

To everyone who's looking for a nice game to play with a very good story, I recommend this game.
  15. Dec 26, 2013
    Dont go in expecting F.E.A.R. chills. Think of it like a classic point and click adventure (with some point and click 'action' bits) and you won't be disapointed. The story is good, but you'll probably guess it well before the end. The characters, story telling, graphics and sound are excellent. Pacing is good. You will remember some scenes for a long time. Its like a solid, well made interactive movie. Expand
  16. Oct 18, 2013
    Video games as art? This is stunning and definitive proof.

This game moved me. I've never experienced anything on PC or consoles that evoked the spectrum of emotions 'Beyond' did. Nothing even comes close. The AAA graphics, the story, Ellen Page's brilliant acting, the musical score and the story were all put together in a way that no other game has ever managed, nor likely even
    attempted.

Having experienced (and enjoyed) Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain from 2010, I knew what to expect from 'Beyond' in terms of gameplay. I knew it wasn't going to be a frenetic button masher or an adventure game like Uncharted or Tomb Raider. Heavy Rain was, when you get down to it, merely a medium for interactive story-telling, and it did this pretty well. 'Beyond' follows along these lines, but does it far, far better.

Before even thinking about purchasing 'Beyond: Two Souls', you really need to know what it is and what it isn't, and you need to know what you're looking for from it. This is not a game you'll be 'challenged' by in the typical sense, where you're presented with entertaining obstacles and your enjoyment is derived largely by overcoming them. It never set out to do that or promised this sort of experience. Instead, 'Beyond' offers to fully immerse you in a story and its main character like no other game or movie before it could ever hope to accomplish.
  17. Oct 13, 2013
    It's not for everyone. Like Heavy Rain before, and Indigo Prophecy before that, this is a game that will bring mixed opinions. So here's mine: This game pushes the PS3 to its limits. Some scenes do tend to show the PS3's age, but for the most part the game is near photo-realistic. I'd often forget that I was playing a "game."

As for the "game" part, this definitely plays a whole lot
    better than Heavy Rain. Where Heavy Rain felt clunky and cumbersome, Beyond feels great and controls fine for the most part. There were a couple of parts where I tried to explore a certain area and the camera got all wonky, but that was only because the game was trying to lead me somewhere with a fixed camera angle and I was trying to ignore it. Mapping the fight scenes to the right stick actually feels great and natural. It certainly limits the amount of buttons you're mashing. The UI is also simple and attractive. My only issue being that the small white dot is easy to lose on screen sometimes.

Moving on, the overall performances in the game are fantastic. Ellen Page is magnificent and Willem Dafoe is amazing as always. However, in the end, I felt like this game doesn't come close to the amazing story in Heavy Rain. The biggest issue with this game is that you are in control of just one character the entire game. So death isn't really an option. Which means that, one way or another, your character is going to make it out of any sticky situation. Whereas in Heavy Rain, I actually felt like my decisions carried some weight to them. But if you enjoyed Heavy Rain despite it's control issues, then I'm sure you'll enjoy Beyond: Two Souls despite it's own set of issues. Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to what David Cage has in store for us for the PS4.
  18. Oct 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game should have got 10/10 but there are a few issues.
    1. very confusing first half, shambolic chronology -1 point
    2. no save before the last part of "Black SUN", fail and you have to reload the whole chapter.
    3. dialogue from "broken" chapter missing from the policeman,it was shown in demo (video) after the coffee cup hits the wall, he gets the heebee geebees, gives his excuse and slinks out of the room,this was cut from the final, and takes away immersion.
    4. there's no very hard mode with slow-mo actions cut. would like to play some fight scenes full on.
    5. ludicrous sci-fi story writing with the "condenser" and "infraworld" i almost stopped playing right there. almost as bad as the "Trigens" in Far Cry. a more simpler story about real people would have sufficed, even Dawkins personal spiritworld machine would have been enough and a fitting end if the game was more fleshed out with teen years chapters and CIA missions -3 points
  19. Oct 30, 2013
    Wow, what a game! I wasn't expecting anything special since GamesMaster only gave it 60% but now I'm so glad I did give it a go. For anyone that has played Heavy Rain, this game is set out like that, for those of you that haven't, there are a lot of quick time events that take place, meaning you have to think fast! Another thing that makes this similar to Heavy Rain is the fact that every decision you make during game effects the outcome, overall there are about 23 endings for this game (so I have read online) and I've only seen one so far, meaning I'll probably have to play the game again a few more times to see a small number of them.

The storyline itself can be quite confusing to start off with, I didn't really understand what was going on until about 3/4 of the way in which I suppose is a good thing as it makes you want to play through the game to understand what it's all about. It's quite a short game as it only consists of about 26 chapters (a lot less than the 50 or so that Heavy Rain had to offer.) It only took me about a day or so to complete but nevertheless it's still one that's worth picking up. The graphics and voice acting from the likes of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe make the game very enjoyable and entertaining. However, for those people that aren't into cutscenes and just like to get into the action, I don't think this game is your cup of tea but it's still worth playing anyway.
  20. Oct 11, 2013
    It started strong, was intriguing and held my interest. I played it two player with my wife and we had fun, but as the story developed it started to show how poorly written it was. Small details at first followed by odd reactions (apparently suicide is a-ok?) leading up to a frustratingly dumb ending and reveal. We rented it with the intention of buying if it was good to add to our collection, this will not make it. Long story short, it wasn't worth the rental price to us. Expand
  21. Oct 17, 2013
    Whenever I try to rate this a seven, it changes to a nine. The game is fair, the dialogue is awkward at times. It is what it is. If you liked hard rain, then you will probably like this. I never had the chance to play the two player so I can't comment on that. But overall I enjoyed the game. As fas as I can tell, there is no way to ever fail at anything. You never have to reload or go back. Which is cool. The story keeps moving forward. Expand
  22. Oct 31, 2013
    Is Beyond: Two Souls in the right category Is it a game or a movie I don't really care, in both cases it has the same defects and qualities. Let's start with the qualities : - The pitch is nice, with a great potential for storytelling and character development. - The character is lovable - Graphics are mostly really nice, I say mostly because some facial animations seemed very unnatural to me

And... that's it... let's check what I didn't like
    - The idea of playing scenes in a random order. even though it's "explained" later, it was pointless, and very irritating in the beginning, giving me the sensation that I was given random stories to play for a short time, before jumping to another.
    - It is soooo looonngggg... not in the good way. I have to walk through that corridor Why does everyone walks faster than me It simply makes the scenes longer (and boring), and breaks the rhythm.
    - It's often predictable, It uses schemes already seen, again and again, in too many movies,
    - Same thing for the characters, a lot of them are very cliché. Behind Jodie, most of the characters are transparent and/or irritating.
    - It's supposed to be an interactive movie, but the interactions are only pressing the button that the "game" asks you to press. Some games, behind a gameplay, manage to tell a story while giving some real choices to the player, with consequences on the scenario. Here, nothing, only a few different endings, with the choice just before, making it completely artificial.

In the end, even with it's encouraging concept, this game/movie is disappointing.
    It is a bad movie, a succession of cliché with no rhythm.
    it is a bad game, as the player has no role at all in the story.

Honestly, I think that is someone decides to capture a walkthrough, and makes a good montage of it, cutting boring parts etc., It might become a decent movie... with a lot of cliché, but decent.
    In it's current/official state, it's not worth playing/watching
  23. Oct 22, 2013
    This isn't really a game, let's be honest. This is the same kind of thing that existed when the SEGACD was in vogue and suddenly you could produce interactive movies and the public would gasp and applaud at the technological marvel of it all.

Beyond: Two Souls is exactly that; an interactive movie. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and to be fair it doesn't pretend to be anything
    other than an interactive movie. But it isn't a game. There's no element of challenge or dynamism about the title. This is painting by numbers, the PS3 version.

The reason they market this as a game where you occasionally press X to plod the movie along is because as a standalone movie it wouldn't sell (because of the shoddy story and poor presentation more than anything else!), so they're relying on gamers to think that by pressing the odd button every five minutes that they're involved some how.

And that's why you're getting people using descriptions such as "masterpiece", "beautiful", "emotional" etc. because they've been conned into thinking they've played through something meaningful.

I've heard people say that "it's a good change of pace", that somehow doing next to nothing is a GOOD thing, but you know what you could do if you wanted such a change of place? Watch an actual movie and one with a much, much better storyline than this to boot. Heavy Rain had a bit of substance, so you could arguably get drawn in to the 'whodunnit' aspect of it.

Graphically it is lacklustre to say the least. The controls for the limited amount of "gameplay" here are a jumbled, confused afterthought.

Beyond: Two Souls is 'game' that should be getting poor reviews on Rotten Tomatoes rather than any gaming website. It is ultimately uninspired; full of pretence and very little substance. This review will get hammered by most who have 'played' the game, because they'll be indoctrinated by the pretence on show here, but make no mistake, this is a stinker of a title that you should avoid at all costs.
  24. Nov 6, 2013
    First the good things about the game.
    The character models look awesome even better than all the games I saw for PS4 on Gamescom. There are some memorable scenes. Usually the scenes describing the normal life of Jody are pretty good (the action scenes however are mostly terrible).
    Now the bad things.
    Your Charakter can't die or fail, this kills all the tension (I loved Heavy Rain, where
    every character was able too die and it would have a heavy impact on the outcome of the story).
    The controls are awful. You can move (Jody) more easily than the characters in Heavy Rain but in the quick time events you don't know what to do half the time. When someone attacks you don't know if you should push the stick towards your enemy (attack or counter) or away (for some evasive movement). Why not showing the direction like in Heavy Rain. Controlling Aiden is a pain in the ass too.
    Also there are only very few choices to make. You feel that you always have to do exactly what the game intends you to do. Story Changing Moments are very few.

All in all a great looking game with some good moments, but in total a back step compared to Heavy Rain.
  25. Oct 14, 2013
    Excellent storytelling, awesome animations. Amazing how they motion captured so much feelings in just walking! Very nice facial animation, though some models seems a bit stiff and boring. Not the most surprising story, but gives good value still. Even if its not completely a linear narrative story, its fairly easy to link all the pieces of the story and kind of get the idea where the story heading. Maybe Ive just seen to much films?

What interested me the most with the game, was how they managed to go seamless between cinematics and gameplay. And even in gameplay it kind of felt like seeing a film. That was also a problem, since I ended with almost forget to press the controller when it was time for me to take control.

Best cinematic game I played so far. Thought that may also be the only problem with it too; that the little gameplay feels a bit boring. Though the gameplay feels more natural after a while, it never really feels it suits the game.

Have only played through once, so looking forward to see more of the alternative story elements.

May not be everyones cup of tea, but its a star in this type of game/interactive movie. If you hate it, you are probably not used to think a bit outside your normal comfort zone. If you love it you are more interesting in seeing a film/playing a film then playing a game... Good that not all games are made for everyone!
  26. Oct 10, 2013
    THE GOOD, Amazing graphics, great performances from Helen Paige and Dafoe, controlling Aiden is fun, interesting characters, some very moving moments in the story.

THE BAD, Combat gameplay is confusing, frustrating, not that satisfying. Story starts off very strong, but then plot holes, poor character behaviors, clichés start to appear. The ending, it feels like David Cage ran out of
    ideas and just went Ah F***k IT, THIS WILL DO". Choices and mistakes are not as important as they were in the heavy rain.

A very good game, i strongly recommend it to any PS3 owner. But the gameplay is rather "Meh". Now i know, i know. "This game is 90% about the story, think of it as an interactive movie experience".

Well... See... I knew all that, and i wasn't expecting much from the gameplay. But if you are going to put all your cards on story... Then i am going to be very demanding on that part.

And well.... 2013 as given us it's fair share of good stories in Video games. Last of us, Bioshock Infinite have far better stories then Beyond two souls and they didn't need to sacrifice the gameplay for it.
    The characters are great, Helen Paige is AMAZING. The story actually starts very good, but then you have the "plot twists" and the story falls from it's own weight.

Quantic dream needs to hire a talented writer (David Cage, like Lindelof tends to force plot twists too much. To the point of breaking a story that actually starts off well). Finally, if QTE is all you're going to deliver, don't put so much emphasis on combat and action. Heavy Rain was perfect as it focused mainly on investigation and exploration. With just a little bit of action to keep things interesting. Beyond two Souls is too many Michael Bay action moments. It doesn't matter how many explosions you put on the screen. It's still just a quick time event.

The "action" sequences bring nothing to the table.

Still i really liked this game, and again i strongly recommend it. But again, for a game that is mostly about story rather then gameplay. And on that aspect, other games that have more gameplay value have managed to deliver much better stories.
  27. Dec 11, 2013
    Amazing story, incredibly acted. I had a lot more fun and felt a lot more emotions playing this than Heavy Rain, which was praised so much. I would definitely rate this one higher than the shallow Heavy Rain. Review sites giving this low reviews should be ashamed of themselves. Average User Scores are a lot more reliable on most occasions!
  28. Oct 15, 2013
    Play the game before you read anything. It is beautiful. This has to be 150 characters so I am just going to add stuff here but seriously, dont read anything to spoil this beautiful story about life.
  29. Oct 14, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game I'm shocked by some of the review scores. I honestly feel like it was penalised for not fitting the CoD mold.

If you have played any of Quantic Dream's games you'll know you'll love this if you haven't, it's not a shooter and it's not a standard adventure game. There is plenty of gameplay though and an amazing story that's incredibly well presented.

My one
    warning would be that if you cannot stand QTE's (though I thought they were well done in this) there are a lot. Expand
  30. Oct 25, 2013
    Awesome graphics, Remarkable storyline, Great narrating, Stunning music, Amazing voice acting and an absurd gameplay! It's hard for some gamers to love it, yes, but it's also hard for everyone to hate this master piece!
  31. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is not for everyone but for some who wants a rich story with great conflicted characters then this is your game. It's not a heavy action game with the gameplay being restricted throughout the gameplay. The Playstation 3 literally shows what it can do on its end to the Playstation 4 coming in a couple months.

Pros: Story, Character, Design, Graphics, Immersed world, Aiden,
    Choices
    Cons: Controls, Restricted game-play

Conclusion: Game-play is a little troubling to get through but the whole experience so rich and so great that people who skip the game would miss something so different than most games society has played.
  32. Oct 13, 2013
    This is a very unique game. The story drags, in some parts, but is overall pretty good when you see all of it put together. I liked this game, but it does drag along in some parts. Also, the combat is not that great, and I was often confused as to where I was supposed to block or hit a particular enemy, because of the positioning of the camera. Unfortunately, this brought me out of the story, and was often frustrating. Also, the story jumps around a lot. As I said, in the end, it works well. But, while you are playing it, you wonder what is going on. I'm sure this was partially the intent of the director, but it often confused instead of inspiring me to find out more about the story. Instead of,"Man, what's next!" I was more like,"What the heck is going on now?", especially in the desert portion.

Now on to the positives. The game looks gorgeous. The character animation is wonderful. Some of the games coming out on the new consoles, don't look this good. Quantic Dream hit a home run with the visuals. The music is very good, also. All said, I liked the story. I liked that you could progress the story how you want, in certain parts. It is a shame that you couldn't do it more often.

All said, this was a really good game. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn't mind watching a lot of cut scenes. If you liked Heavy Rain, I think you will like this game, too. But, truth be told, I like Heavy Rain more. I appreciate Quantic Dream doing new things. Everything didn't work perfectly in Beyond: Two Souls, but I enjoyed it anyways.
  33. Oct 29, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a truly remarkable game. I feel like because of this, it deserves a slightly different review. I will still give my regular opinions; however, if you, in reading my previous reviews, find yourself to have a similar taste in games to myself, I recommend that you do not read this review. I bought and played Beyond Two Souls having read virtually nothing about it, and I think that jumping in without knowing what to expect made the experience a lot better. I can tell you that it is not perfect, not by a long shot, but it excels in so many areas that it is easy to overlook the flaws. In addition, this game dethrones my personal game of the year, Bioshock Infinite.

At this point, I will begin my review as per usual. So, what is it, exactly, that makes Beyond Two Souls such a great title? To start, the mechanics of the game are completely alternative. People have been very hesitant to do so much as label it as a 'game', simply because it changes the way we normally interact with virtual worlds. Beyond Two Souls is a game/movie hybrid, it focuses on story and emotion more than gameplay. You can deal with people and events in your own time and way, without being restricted to an extremely linear path, such as with watching a movie. Some people found this to be unpleasant, having to actually interact with a movie. (I feel like people constantly ask for different games, ones that differ from the oh-so-familiar 'stare down a scope for 10 to 15 hours'; however, when they are presented with something like Beyond Two Souls, an abundant portion rejects any change to their traditional experience.) I found it to be a very innovative and interesting way to tell a story and to truly allow players to connect with characters in a way that's virtually impossible though movies or other forms of media.

The graphics and music are both spot-on. I can't remember a single moment where the music was not fitting for whatever event, good or bad, was transpiring. It is not just ambiance either, the tracks are good enough to be listened to independently. The visuals in Beyond Two Souls are undoubtedly the best I have ever seen on the PS3. This may be partially due to the cinematic cameras that appear often due to the game's nature. The environments were diverse and the art direction was appropriate (nothing over the top, but the world was able to speak for itself).

The preface of the story is the connection of Jodie to a spiritual entity, Aiden. During the game, you take control of both Jodie and Aiden, and are able to shape the story though each of them. As you are able to take control of either character, you can use Aiden to assist other desperate people, or to kill anyone who opposes you. Almost all combat is done through Aiden, who uses his unique abilities to protect Jodie from harm (whether that be choking someone out, or pulling down an entire helicopter).

Characters, despite other elements, are no doubt the most fantastic part of Beyond Two Souls. I have never felt very bad for people who don't exist, or sorry that I made certain choices in a virtual world. However, Beyond Two Souls completely obliterates that desensitized state of mind by connecting you with characters as if they were real human beings. Multiple times I basically berated myself over bad choices I made, because Beyond Two Souls is unforgiving, and ergo, will force you to 'live' with the consequences. This is partially due to the Hollywood cast of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, who do an exceptional job of conveying character and expressing the director's vision.

Although the flaws are easy to overlook with so many strong points, a few were glaringly obvious. First of all, you are punished for not pushing your joystick in the right direction in quick-time events, and there is sometime no clear indication of what way you are actually supposed to be pressing it. And when I say punished, I mean you will literally miss certain parts of the story. Being a bit of a controller inept, this was a problem for me. Secondly, there are a few glitches that you might need to prepare yourself for. The game does suffer from rare crashes, and if in rare cases may affect your savegame. This happened to me, but luckily I had saved just a few moments earlier. I am sure this will be patched soon, so please make sure to update the game (if you buy it).

Overall, I would highly recommend Beyond Two Souls to mature gamers who enjoy games similar to those made by Telltale, or to those who can appreciate more story-oriented games.
  34. Oct 19, 2013
    I don't typically review games, but I felt the need to do so for Beyond: Two Souls.
    The game was absolutely fantastic. As a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, and others that pride themselves on the element of player-choice, I was blown away by the options presented within this game. The choices flow organically, and often times, the player isn't even aware that another choice could have
    been made.
    After having sat three people down to play a segment of the game, I've watched the same scenario play out three different ways.
    The story itself was also absolutely fantastic, and very compelling. Beyond: Two Souls might be the most 'human' game I've ever played. The story, and events within it, have this awesome way of beginning as this nice, innocent scenario, and spiraling into something dark and catastrophic.
    The only negative aspect, and this can vary from person to person, as it didn't bother me, or those I've spoken to about it, is the gameplay, or rather lack thereof. I personally wouldn't even consider this point topical, though, given the commercial success of games such as The Walking Dead, or Heavy Rain before it.
    If you enjoy stories, of any sort, then you owe it to yourself to try this game out.
    Excellent writing, beautiful graphics, amazing set-pieces, and a very emotional, compelling narrative.
  35. Oct 13, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a great experience for me. Yes, this is not as great as Heavy Rain, but still it is a very good game. I can't give it lesser than 10.
  36. Oct 14, 2013
    Your mileage may vary, but for me, the game is transcendent.

It transcends both video games and movies to become something greater than either medium would ever be by themselves. I'm an avid gamer (I have 400+ Steam games, 400+ iOS games, and 100+ console games). Yet--to speak for myself--*I* found this game far more moving, thought-provoking, meaningful, and entertaining than many
    other games (including Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, Grand Theft Auto 4-5, The Last of Us, and others).

I can only compare it to Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead, or the Metal Gear Solid series: deep rich stories that have themes and messages that convey something of lasting meaning; something beyond the mindless (but fun) shooting and platforming of other titles.

I will remember this game for years to come. There are few works of fiction of any medium for which I can say the same.

If you like a rich deep story line and don't care about a lack of "agency" (it's always illusory in video games, anyway--there are always incredibly restrictive rules on game play), then this is *the* game of the seventh generation. The comparably minor errors in execution and direction can be ignored, when viewed in light of the whole.

Indeed, the question of whether this qualifies as a game is, like Dear Ester, a largely irrelevant and pedantic: It entertains. It provokes thought. It is emotionally moving. And it illustrates that games--like cinema or literature--can be taken seriously as a medium to both entertain and enlighten.

It seems to me that most reviewers of this game have profoundly and tragically missed the point.

I've tentatively come to the conclusion that most people who dislike Beyond do so because they cannot (or will not) accept the game on its own terms: They have certain expectations of video games, and deviation from well-established norms vexes them. So, for instance, they demand interactivity, even when accepting passivity allows a far more compelling and moving narrative.

In contrast, other people are more flexible (with regards to their expectations of the medium). For instance, the "passivity" of playing Beyond did not bother me in the slightest. I knew what I was getting into, and I knew it was worth the tradeoff: there has been only one other title in forty years of gaming history that provides an experience comparable to Beyond: Two Souls, and it was released three years ago (Heavy Rain).

I believe that many reviewers, given their larger than average exposure to the medium are even less tolerant that other players of certain deviations from gameplay norms. This, I think, explains the large divergence of opinions on metacritic, and the (to me) inconceivably low average the game currently has (a mere 73 for the professionals, and 78 for gamers).

Like the criticism that the game strips the player of freedom/agency, I do not think the others have merit:

I consider the script to be impeccable. I have noticed no plot holes, and very few problems with the dialogue. It is telling that David Cage took a year of 12-14-hour days to write it and that it is 2000 pages in length.

I consider Page's acting to be truly and deeply awe-inspiring. I cannot praise her highly enough. She memorized 30-40 pages of dialogue each day. She had very little time to prepare and rehearse. She often had to juggle different emotional responses to the situations (e.g., playing the part one way in a scene and playing it another way in the same scene). Yet, despite these challenges, her acting is consistently of the highest professional quality. I have noticed no flaws in her performance; it is (along with William Dafoe's performance) very much in keeping with her Academy Award for Best Actress. I consider her to be the most talented actress I've seen.

I also think that the myriad ad hominem attacks against David Cage seem entirely unwarranted. He does not try to impose his views on others. Rather, he is merely passionate, has a vision he believes in, and is outspoken in his beliefs. He believes that gaming can, like cinema or literature, change the world (or try to). This is not arrogant; it is noble.

Moreover, the game has other strengths that seem to be overlooked by many:

- The social commentary is entirely warranted, and appropriately biting.
    - The graphical quality of the game is the best of any on a console.
    - The story is incredibly moving and thought-provoking. The narrative was very easy for me to follow, despite the non-chronological presentation.
    - There is a wide range of different locales and gameplay dynamics employed.

To put it succinctly (and a little melodramatically):

For me, the game is both a reminder and illustration of the many challenges and the triumphs, the sadnesses and joys that life has to offer. For me, it's life affirming, and I consider it deep, rich and meaningful. There are almost no other games (and few movies and books, for that matter) for which I can say the same.

Take a chance: play this game.
  37. Nov 9, 2013
    I rented GTA 5 and this. GTA 5 graphics look horrible and the gameplay is as old as dirt. Same unoriginal crap, reminding me why I don't play it. Look at the graphics on the shrink's face in the opening and you'll see what I mean. Just plain bad. Now Beyond Two Souls. It's amazing. Immersive. Completely. And character building. Wow. This game is so good and I think people are idiots because they don't get it. That's sad to me. This game is gorgeous, and so awesome. My other favorite game this year is The Last of Us. Bioshock Infinite was pretty good too. Expand
  38. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Tell the story of Jodie Holmes and her connection to the omnipresent and omniscient entity Aiden through a sporadic tale covering most of her life and bridging several worlds, uncovering some surprisingly deep revelations along the way. A true story of finding yourself as much as finding quality and acceptance in others.

Graphics: Excellently rendered animations and character models, only pulled down in some instances by weaker parallels in still models within the environments. The cinematic work is unparalleled in my opinion, for the most part.

Sound: Between the haunting and minimalistic melodies and the star studded cast, it's truly hard to find fault with what is present for sound quality.

Playability: The quick time contextual sequences work out much more fluidly than in previous Quanitc Dream games utilizing similar sequences of control, however the action moments can often make players lost and disoriented- which, while somewhat intended, can still be quite annoying at times when wrestling with control and chaos.

Entertainment: Despite falling down in the story and gameplay department at times, the game comes together well and has its genuinely impressive and deeply thought-provoking moments of fear, bravery, trust, and sadness.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 8.5
  39. Oct 15, 2013
    I had my doubts about David Cages new epic. I really enjoyed Heavy rain and didn't take any notice of the moaners who kept on going on about it's only quick time blah blah blah. What was wrong with that game however was the acting which let it down badly in some scenes, not all by any means but some.
    I felt that maybe he hadn't learned his lesson and I had grave doubts about using
    Hollywood actors as they are actually different and most of the best voice actors or indeed motion capture actors are not really successful big name Hollywood actors. That may just me being conditioned to think that without any real evidence but that what I feared for this game, being a little too cheesy like Heavy rain was at times. I was wrong on so many accounts. Ellen Page is brilliant as the lead and the motion capture tech has evolved enough by companies like Cages that it genuinely captures the actors true talent that comes through loud and clear. Maybe this is the way forward now, to get actors who are at the top of their game, no pun intended, to play in more video games as Ellen takes this on to new heights imho.
    You may have read that the supporting cast aren't that good by some critics, well that's just not true. All the performances were good to excellent imho.
    A slight spoiler here but if you play as the spirit sometimes you'll see dead people in unexpected places. Very creepy and it works well. On this point this game really does send shivers up your from time to time, something that a Hollywood film has been unable to do to me for literally years!
    Another criticism of the game is the 'broken up narrative style' Many saying it confuses them somehow.
    I disagree again as this is not a film it is first and foremost a game and doing it this way lets you get straight into the action without the boring buildup in heavy rain before you get to the real action and good stuff. This too me work very well indeed and you don't lose the story it's just told in a more exciting way that works particularly well for the media it's made for.
    There is a real kicker at the end that I didn't see coming and though it's not an ending that is in say, bioshock infinite's' class that is hardly surprising as this is a game that gives you many endings and even though Cage is imho a bit of a genius he or say Ken Levine would find it impossible to come up with 20 odd equally amazing endings, but, as I have said there is a really good kick at the end and that's impressive enough.
    Cage likes to call his games interative experiences and to this end it should be judged as such and whether you personally like this style of gameplay or not it shouldn't stop you at least trying to understand what quantic Dream are trying to achieve with their excellent products.
    Is it game of the year? Well maybe not the game of the year as this has been a particularly good year for games such as The last of Us, GTA 5 and Bioshock Infinite all of which deserve their illustrious reputations but so does beyond two souls and I would put it right up there with the best of the best.
    Buy it! it's a keeper
  40. Oct 29, 2013
    this game is not perfect, ok, however, it is amazing and beautiful. The story is amazing, the graphics are superb with no FPS issues, the characters are deep, I felt all kinds of emotions while playing, it's a must buy definitely, however, the ending is out of sync with the prologue, the beginning of the game is clumsy and a bit nonsensical to start with, and the controls are a bit clunky. This, however, is one of the best gaming experiences of 2013, if this generation! Definitely a must buy, but what more would I expect from the makers of Heavy Rain? Expand
  41. Oct 10, 2013
    The narrative is a bit disjointed, but can I say how much fun it was to play a videogame as Ellen Page?
    It was great. Especially as a person who mainly plays videogames when I'm sick on the couch, I loved not having to memorize 100 controls. Visuals were fantastic. David Cage keep making games.
  42. Oct 20, 2013
    Great graphics, great animation, great story, but the direction is weaker than Heavy Rain. Individual episodes cause delight In the style of David Cage. The pieces of the story of adult Jody different and ambiguous. Too frequent changes of the setting breaks the immersion in the game. Just finished the game a second time to realize all full. Very emotional story. Everyone who from the first story seemed strange, I advise you to play a second time. Expand
  43. Nov 11, 2013
    It's an awesome game, with great graphics, and amazing mo-capping, but I still think there's room for improvement. For example, there's no real longevity to the game, once you've completed it; Just alternate cut-scenes.
  44. Oct 12, 2013
    A game made for a more refined audience, Beyond Two Souls is an masterpiece of interactive storytelling, who's only failing is the fact that it's being played and reviewed by brainwashed, inexperienced, young "gamers" just looking for the next mindless action game. For the rest of us, who are members of the core gaming world for over 20 years now, this is one of the few games which proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that games are an art form.
  45. Oct 12, 2013
    +Beautiful graphics/audio +Amazing story and storytelling +Great and lovable main character -Controls are somewhat unresponsive good thing you don't actually play much :P) -I had some machine lag that never happened before -Continuity between scenes are bad (facial expressions changing in a weird way, characters warping around) -Some minor graphical bugs -Your decisions does not have a impact as they did in heavy rain

It might look unfair to give this game a 9 based on these pros and cons, but honestly the experince was incredible. I enjoyed every second of it.(except 2 minutes while I was restarting my PS3 because the game crashed). I would give this game a 10 if I haven't played the Last of Us and seen how amazing acting voicing and storytelling was.
    If you don't like story driven, interactive movie type games, you should stay away from it. Gameplay is not good at all. But if you do, you will have an amazing experience.
    Thank you quantic dream for this game.
  46. Oct 22, 2013
    So, the reviews on this game are VERY 2-sided, as usual with Cage games. There's some people who praise this game for its excellent graphics, and engaging story. Then there is the other side of the coin, the people who thinks it is a very boring game, lacking any kind of gameplay. I think this very much proves that this game is only for SOME people. Some will praise it to heaven, others will hate it.

As for myself, I very much enjoyed the experience. The story kept me playing for hours at a time, the graphics were stunning, and Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe's acting was great.

A few minor complains may be the buttclench-inducing clichés that happen a few times throughout the story. With everything else, I couldn't be happier. I haven't played Heavy Rain or any other of Cage's games so I can't really compare them.

Overall it was definitely worth my time and money, and if you're looking for something very interesting, definitely pick this up, it certainly isn't the worst purchase you can make!
  47. Oct 11, 2013
    there is one specific thing about David Cage's Game ...You Love it ...Or You Hate it! At first 30 min of game!
    Look at scores GS got 9 and Edge Got 5 that means this Game Create Contact with its Specific kind of Gamers ...
    I really really liked this game because i'm searching for game which has Great Store...
    and i Found Beyond :two Souls.
  48. Oct 26, 2013
    Love this game, best single player game I have ever experienced, finished the whole thing in one sitting, well into the early hours of the morning, that's how hooked and immersed I was by this emotional journey!

Though slightly confusing at first due to it's non linear nature, it picks up really quickly and the resolution ties everything together beautifully. I completely agree with the
    uncompromising way in which the story is delivered, it would not be as impactful otherwise. You get to be there with Jodie for all the highlights of 15 eventful and tragic years of her life and become very attached to the character.

The tech is cutting edge and easily the best looking game on the PS3, the animation fidelity and motion capture stick out particularly, you forget you're playing a video game. The attention to small details is unmatched. I don't usually rate games with a 10 but this takes the cake for me, can't wait to see what Quantic Dream come up with next!
  49. Oct 17, 2013
    "Video game" or not, Beyond: Two Souls doesn't fully live up to being a good movie or a good video game, but that doesn't mean you should miss this extraordinary "game"!

First of all, the story is a bit of a mess even literally speaking. The tone is all over the place, half of the scenes are complete filler, some sections stay true to the plot while the fillers mostly feel like B-grade
    subplots that fail to evoke any truthful emotion from the player.

For all the things the game gets wrong there's still a very poignant story Beyond all that. The game explores many themes ranging from what it means to be different and how you should handle it, to exploring problems in modern society such as homeless people and war in the middle-east. Unfortunately most of these don't connect in a meaningful way to the actual main plot of the game and feel more like distractions than anything genuine. The main themes of sorrow and how to deal with loss, and Jodie's struggle to life through her special life are the parts that make the game "human" and most of the scenes revolving around these issues are touching at best.

When everything is said and done, It's hard not to feel content but since there are so much time wasted on meaningless parts that make the story feel more disjointed that it should the game still ends up having a mediocre flavor to it. Next time I hope David Cage is more focused on what he actually wants to write about, and then actually stays on topic instead of exploring so many irrelevant issues.
  50. Nov 21, 2013
    First: you need to be the type of persons who enjoys story telling games like this.
    Beyond: Two Souls has an awesome story that totally caught me and it comes with incredible graphics and acting.
    The only negative thing about the game is the difficulty, which really is not challenging for any experienced gamer. Still, I never felt like "watching a movie" but always like I was actively
    making decisions and playing a video game. Expand
  51. Oct 14, 2013
    More of an interactive movie than a traditional game (not so surprising from Quantic Dream), but it is a very great one for that. Great characters, great acting, decent script (i was a bit confused on timeline sometimes). And a great way to really get into character instead of watching cutscenes between two fight/shooting sequence.
  52. Oct 28, 2013
    I really liked the game. Sure, it is not a "normal" game but i like the ide to watch a movie and that i am deciding the story. If you liked Heavy rain this is a Game you have to play. There is maybe one or two scenes that i didn't thought the gameplay maked sence.
  53. Oct 13, 2013
    Alright, so Beyond has been getting a lot of from the reviewers, and I think this is completely and utterly undeserved. Beyond:Two Souls, is a brilliant story, and although it is about one chapter too long, and doesn't deliver that well on gameplay, I think reviewers have kicked it way too much. Yes, Beyond has downsides, but if it had come out a year ago, when we didn't see games like GTA, The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite, I think reviewers would have seen Beyond as a masterpiece, giving it scores similar to mine, all around. I suggest Beyond, to anyone who cares about storytelling, and don't need a game to be a classic game, following the rules of lodology. If you can enjoy titles like Gone Home, Heavy Rain and don't mind being an observer, of a brilliantly crafted world, with minor input, Beyond will give you, in return, the most touching story you will experience for a while, on par with the likes of The Last of Us and Gone Home. If you need your games to be a classic game though, I cannot recommend Beyond, instead I'd suggest you to just go play GTA: Online some more. Beyond does not deserve to win Game of the Year, but it deserves a mention, for it truly cracked my heart.

And something I cannot stress enough, is just how amazing Ellen Page, and William Dafoe performed in this. Ellen's tears makes you cry, and Dafoe's voice makes you shiver, an excellent performance by all the sub characters as well. The rest of the world also sounds amazing, the biggest exception being gunfire, which is a little on the disappointing side. Wind, cars, rain etc. sounds rather good though, so the audio in the game is great, but not nearly as great as The Last of Us, which had magnificent sounds and scores. Soundtrack is very fitting, but also a bit forgettable. Definitely one of the better soundtracks, but I would not go out and buy the soundtrack, and I don't think the soundtrack on it's own could bring me back to the emotions I felt in the game

The graphics in Beyond, does have a few misses here and there, but it is a really pretty game. Quantic made a wise decision changing the format ration, freeing the GPU of some pixel rendering, leaving the remaining are with more polygons and effects.

There are two chapters in the game, that left me disappointed, Navajo and The Mission. Navajo I believe should have been cut entirely, cause I felt it added nothing, except a few hours, and an extra choice. The Mission is very important to the story, but there is a bit where you meet a little kid, and I felt his whole story to be extremely odd. This kid, speaks a different language than you, but he understands when you tell him to stay close to you. I felt the whole relationship with this kid, was David Cage trying to punch emotion, for the sake of keeping the player intrigued, as the rest of the story was building. These are minor concerns though, in an otherwise brilliant story, that deserves much more praise than it has gotten. David Cage, you have my respect.
  54. Nov 25, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a good game. It is an entertaining journey that allows us a glimpse of future interactive entertainment.

We know people are very different. The can all enjoy different kinds of Movies, Games and sports. Our tastes are different.
    When reviewing a game like Beyond, its easiest to compare it amongst the relative small amount of games that inhabit that genre(s) and
    not necessarily to the wider range of peers it could rank against.

I like to watch films(UK English) and I like video games, and having the two combined was a treat. While watching movies there are generally two things that frustrate me about a good story; The inability to choose a different cause of action to the one chosen in the film, and the length of the film. Beyond: Two souls and Quantum Dreams Studios have solved this.
    Imagining a Lord of the rings where we could have more control over the characters fate. On the flip side, It may eliminate the nostalgia of having read the books(Although they ended up being very different anyway).

I can imagine a future where movies cross to the line and become more interactive. With DVDs came the ability to change camera angles etc. although I still haven’t used it or seen it. Why? Well, other than it being possible to catch a better glimpse of a side-boob the feature is generally uninteresting. The ability to change the run of the story based on what we would do and how I feel at the time is what we I am really looking for.

Talking about the silliness of Beyond’s plot and the holes in the story would take a whole page to describe. I will leave the game magazines to plough through that. That is all inconsequential in comparison to the Audacity of Quantum Dreams to tell a story so provoking to the imagination is admiring.
    The plan this time around I guess, was to make amore empathetic and emotional ride for the gamer/viewer, to take the next step into the Future entertainment realm. It was a very good attempt. And it was fun to watch. Those who ever remembered “Alive” can see how this deal plays out with real life actors whose days –as technology rapidly advances in the years to come will be numbered.
  55. Oct 10, 2013
    Good graphics Amazing story,O.K gameplay and interesting characters. the gameplay was very weak and i mean very and overall it was great except it felt too much of a movie not more of a game
  56. Dec 7, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a very unique game, the graphics and facial design are quite impressive. The gameplay really puts you in the game and what is annoying at first becomes really fun. This game really focuses on story and gameplay instead of multiplayer and all the social crap that other games use. Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe and the rest of the voice actors where great at delivering outstanding performances, some of my favorite characters where Jodie, Stan, Tuesday(Elisa), Ryan, Nathan, Walter, Jimmy, Cole, an obviously Aiden. Beyond: Two Souls has a really immersive world and was fun to get the platinum after four playthroughs. Overall Score= 83/100 Expand
  57. Oct 10, 2013
    Beyond two Souls is a beautiful game, let that be said. Much like the previous game from QuanticDream (Heavy Rain) it is visually stunning. Yet that is where the comparison stops, playing through Beyond two Souls, I was mostly disappointed by the mix in genre, there's a little bit of everything here, action, adventure, horror theres simply too much and it waters down the plot. Instead of focussing on the creepy and spooky, QuanticDream took it too far and mixed too many story-lines into one. It felt cluttery in some parts and completely irrelevant in others, there were points in the game I absolutely hated and others I really really enjoyed.
    Gameplay:
    Gameplay is much like Heavy Rain and it takes a little time to adjust, but personally I didn't mind the focus on interactivity rather than direct control, I was more interested in the story and people complaining about it, well I guess its a matter of taste really.
    Final thoughts:
    Basically it is a good game it falls in my humble opinion on a few but fatal flaws. Some irrelevant and boring storyline parts, too much mixture of genres and finally I lacked the sense of urgency, I was never really afraid for my characters, never scared that I'd might loose them. Like I was when playing "Heavy Rain" and frantically screaming while mashing buttons, I never got there with Beyond Two Souls and I think its mostly because they never really took the story in one clear line, there was too much to do and too little substance to it. Having said that I will never stop playing QuanticDream games. Try it out
  58. Oct 11, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a beautifully made game. The graphics are phenomenal, as well as the cast and acting. If you want to be blown away by graphics, this game is for you. If you want to be blown away by awesome storytelling, this game is also for you. But if you're looking for epic gameplay, you might need to look elsewhere. This game is very storyline driven, and more-often-than-not, I felt more like an audience to a movie, rather than a gamer. Still worth purchasing however, because this game will take your breath away! Expand
  59. Oct 11, 2013
    I the game perfect? no, is Heavy Rain better? probably, but to compare the too is like comparing apples with tomatoes, their both fruits and are both red but they are completely different things, if you own a ps3 then you'd be doing your self a disservice by not playing this game, dont listen to the reviews, especially ign's, considering those are the same guys that give cod 9s & 10s THIS IS NOT A MOVIE, IS THIS ANY LESS OF A GAME THAN CoD or ANGRY BIRDS or TELLTALE'S THE WALKING DEAD. Expand
  60. Oct 12, 2013
    An 8 is as high as I could go. The game captures emotions well and has soundtracks that truly fit the game. However, the story isn't always as well written. It's not as bad as some say it is, the game differs in a good way. There are enough PS3 games around so, in my opinion, there was enough room for QD to do it a bit differently, and in my opinion, with Aiden and the type of controls they did a good job.

The negatives are that the beginning and ending seem the only interesting part as what's in-between doesn't seem as relevant. The great soundtracks seem to be repeated too often, but it was far from game breaking. You have to really focus on which controls you use when you have to defend yourself against a punch or an obstacle in slow-mo. You seem to be using the right direction with your right analog stick, but sometimes you still get to taste the punch. That could've been better. But overall it seemed like a story that will stick for a while. The ending is different class.

Beyond Two Souls does well, but It's pricetag for what it delivers is a bit too much. The story isn't all that long. It is a nice game, but a very expensive movie. If you play games often you won't have much problems with the controls in the game.
  61. Oct 12, 2013
    I was very disappointed, couldn't wait for it to end. Pros -Ellen Page's acting, thats about it. Graphics were ok, I don't understand why they paid so much attention to detail when max resolution is 720p, seems pointless. Cons story was very erratic, jumping from all different ages, I couldn't keep what point i was at in her life straight. Controls were terrible, had a hard time determining what direction i was supposed to push the analog stick in during slow motion attack/defense sequences. Camera angles for third person seemed to be a constant irritation. I thought the story was full of lots of tacky cliches that seemed to just never end one after another.

Overall, I'm trading it in as soon as possible before the game companies realize they have an influx of these used and only give you a dollar credit.
  62. Oct 12, 2013
    It's more like 8.5/10 for me. This game truly shows the ambition that David Cage has put into his games. The story was great and despite its non-chronological style, I easily put all the pieces together and understood and throughly enjoyed it. That being said I will say that I was uncomfortable at how the story jumps all over the place during the first quarter of the game or so. It failed to ease me into the story due to this awkward method of storytelling. However I eventually got used to it and quite a few of the individual chapters are very moving emotionally, making the game that much more interesting.

The restriction of freedom however is something that made me shudder. In previous games made by Quantic Dream such as Heavy Rain choice had some significant repercussions, such as the permanent death of a character if you fail a fight for example, Getting locked up in jail or walking away. These significant changes in the plot are not emphasized as much in Beyond Two Souls, with your choices in dialogue and gameplay not making much of a significant impact later on in the story. There are moments where this proves to be wrong but they are few and far between.

The Combat and exploration also feel a bit restrictive. Aiden's ability to pass through matter is annoyingly hampered during certain sections and the "tether" that connects him with Jodie can make exploration a chore. The combat likewise has been stripped down to a simple left,right,up,down gameplay mechanic utilizing the right analog stick while time is being slowed down to allow you chose the right direction along with some simple analog stick controls for Aiden. It's fairly readable for the most part, but it can be unreadable at times making mistakes almost unavoidable. However it doesn't matter because for the most part things usually work out for Jodie and Aiden adding on to the fact that the failure usually doesn't affect anything as much as it should.

Overall, despite its glaring issues, the game truly sings during its last few chapters (I cried during one of the many endings) adding true emotion that challenges even the climatic endings of Heavy Rain. The story can be uncomfortable at first but once you piece it all together you can truly appreciate the ambition
    behind this entertaining and emotional experience as you try to unfold what lies beyond.
  63. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a masterpiece,it. has great caracters,great performances(not only by Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe),great graphics(specialy the train part on hunted mission),David Cage is an genius.the story is one of the best that i have seen on my entire life (including comics,books and movies).The best thing about Beyond is that it. is diferent from other games.But it isn' t a game that everyone Will like,for example a gamer that loves COD and is loking for constant action maybe Will be disapointed,a gamer that prefers story rater that gameplay is going to love the game Expand
  64. Oct 12, 2013
    Heavily underrated. This is not a game...this is an experience, and one you don't want to miss out on. I was hooked the moment I started playing the demo. You can feel the hard work and passion that the creators of Beyond placed into this game. Don't let the mass of negative reviews dissuade you from playing this, you will not regret it.
  65. Oct 13, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is maybe the most emotional game I've ever played in my life as a gamer (already 25 years). I finished it yesterday for the first time and cannot get the characters and events out of my head. It is very intense experience there were moments I wanted to reach out to Jodie, give her hug and say "It's going to be okay!"
    Something similar happend when I played Heavy Rain
    (also from Quantic Dream, 2010). I still remember that discomforting feeling moving Ethan into broken bits of glass.

One circumstance is keeping me away from giving it a 10: the lack of choice in some events and places.
    But overall, Beyond: Two Souls takes epic gaming to the next level. Games like this and Heavy Rain keeps me believing that games are improving continuously leading the player into new adventures.

Let me say something about Ellen Page there are very few words which are able to describe her breath taking performance and passion adequately. I want to personally thank her for giving this project a shot.

So everybody out there who is into story and gaming should play this videogame! Because it's not about discussion interactive movies vs. videogames it's all about the fun!
  66. Oct 13, 2013
    Excellent game, which will understand everyone.
    "Beyond: two souls" is a game isn't game of year. This game will be not loved by all. It it isn't ideal, but "beyond: two souls" captured me more feasibly than "heavy rain", and didn't release up to the end. If such genre of games is pleasant to you, from "beyond: two souls" you will be delighted...
  67. Oct 13, 2013
    Awesome game,Not for everybody.
    If you like an excellent story, great graphics and a superb music go for it.
    It combines action,horror,comedy,drama all tangled in a cinematic experience.
    This is the closest a video-game and a movie have ever been.
    Not recommended for those who are shooter's fans neither for classic Rpg's players who don't like trying new and very experimental things.

I"m not giving it a perfect score only for the lack of challenge.
  68. Oct 13, 2013
    This game's story offered one of the most fufilling experiences I've had in years. Ellen Page really makes you fall in love with Jodie Holmes with incredible sincerity. Amazing how much respect I've gained for her with her performance in a video game of all things.

I've finished this game twice, and the 2nd ending I got nearly moved me to tears. THEY'RE ARE OVER 20 ENDINGS I'M TOLD!
    With Kadeem Hardison and Williem Dafoe playing supporting roles, it's very well acted out material. Solid performances all around.

No, Beyond is not a deep gameplay experience: it's light on skill, little exploration, and you don't grow stronger or anything. There's a small learning curve with pointing the right stick in the direction of the area of attack during fights (esp if you're like me and played without the arrow). Truthfully though, I've got plenty of video games I can turn to to fill that deep gameplay experience void..plenty. Who cares if Quantic Dream's games take a more cinematic approach? Just about everyone else is still making video games in the "traditional sense". I have a diverse collection of games, and Beyond adds to that even more.

The Playstation 3 has several exclusive gems available. Beyond Two Souls is definitely one of those gems for the system. Graphically, it might arguably be the best the PS3 has ever offered. When you take the time to invest into the main character, and immerse yourself into her struggles with life and her reality, Beyond Two Souls is one awesome tale that can give you quite an emotional connection with an amazing protagonist.
  69. Oct 13, 2013
    Really good game. Excellent graphics, story, best of all, unique! The emotion of the game really came through. Please keep games like this coming! Not everyone is looking for a cookie cutter 10th version of the same game re-released every six months. My recommendation is that any game with a number after the title should never score more than 7. Don't reward repetition!!!!
  70. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is wonderful. The graphics are the best I've ever seen on PS3. The motion capture is as close to realistic movement as possible and the acting (especially Ellen Page and Willem Defoe) is incredible. I would go as far as to say Ellen Page as Jodie is the best performance in a game.

The controls are maybe a little basic. I would say Beyond plays more like an interactive novel or
    serial drama (like The Walking Dead video game from last year) then like a traditional game. Some people find this annoying and I could see why. I think Beyond's story manages to be engrossing and emotional. Ranging from quiet interactions to big action set pieces. The game is about 10 hours long. It might not be worth the full price to some but it is surely worth a rental. Everyone that owns a PS3 should experience this game. Expand
  71. Oct 13, 2013
    Very touching game with astonishing graphics. It takes some time in the beginning to be involved into the plot, but then it's very hard to stop playing until the final credits. Along with the Last of Us and GTA 5 it is the best game of the year so far, still waiting for the Watch Dogs.
  72. Oct 14, 2013
    Guys let's be fair to the game. Don't review the game as an action rpg or 3rd person shooter. The game is a GRAPHIC NOVEL. So the story is gonna be pretty linear. What I do give it, is that the game can go in sooo many directions based on your performance and choices. The graphics are INCREDIBLE. The idea of a high end graphic novel is amazing. I love it. The story is 100, it has mystery, depth, suspense, death, emotion, etc.
    This is a greatttt game. If you guys wanna talk about lack of action and character controller go review ACTION games. If you think this is so linear, let's peak over to Call of Duty. Tell me the different ways you can end the game. Please.
    All in all, great game, needs to be treated in its own category.
    My only complaint would be the slowness in which she hops over fences and goes through cracks or windows. It seems petty I know, but they aimed for a realistic graphic novel with playable aspects, in reality it doesn't take 45 seconds to go through a window.
    Great game! Love it! Watching/playing right now and I'm not even done, I'm hooked. MORE OF THIS GENRE PLEASE!!!!
  73. Oct 14, 2013
    It seems to me an essential game for gamers of heart, reminds me a lot to Heavy Rain, which is a good thing since that game i thought it was great and very innovative. I hope that some day you play because you will have a very pleasant experience and very beautiful. Good work for Quantic Dream.
  74. Oct 25, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is perfect for story lovers and good graphics its must buy for any gamer who like David cage games just like heavy rain you ether like it too much or hate it for me it is the best game this year and the best thing in it the story and the acting
  75. Oct 14, 2013
    I liked this game, the graphics were off the charts and the gameplay was fun and cinematic. Although Aiden is very simple to play as, it still is very fun to take over people seing the results.
  76. Oct 14, 2013
    This game is the definition of an amazing story yes this is a QTE driven game but there are a number of game play elements and the whole look and feel of the game is incredible, the combat is a little tough at times as it is sometimes difficult to get which way to move the right stick but on the whole a very very good game with one of the best stories i have ever played through from the big set peices to all the locations and little activities from begging for money to cooking to controlling Aiden make this a Game of the Year candidate for me Expand
  77. Oct 15, 2013
    Beyond: two souls... there are no words to describe this AMAZING game. I just love how you can play Aiden and Jodie, I also think that the story and relationships are one of the main epic features of this game. Quantic Dream have really made themselves look good with this game, however there are a few glitches and sometimes the timeline can confuse you but that is only the bad points of this game. But overall this game is AMAZING! like I said Expand
  78. Oct 15, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is not a masterpiece. It is not a perfectly polished experience, it has rough edges, errors in logic, inconsistency. All this said, and yet, David Cage and Quantic Dream have made something they should really be proud of. "Beyond" is a game that will captivate you, a game you won't be able to put down till it's over. It's well written, has amazing graphics, and the performances by Ellen Page and Willam Dafoe are fantastic. Due to it's non-linear narrative structure the game can feel disjointed at times, but it isn't enough to take away from the joy of playing this game. Though not grounded by realism like Heavy Rain, it still tells a very emotional story that you can really connect to. This sci-fi/fantasy drama is not the greatest game ever made, nor the greatest story ever told, but it is well worth a play thorough or two. I cannot recommend it enough. Expand
  79. Oct 15, 2013
    I cant believe the score's critics are giving this game.
    Beyond 2 Souls is a good game but its not a game for every one.
    Graphics: very good and character models look very good.
    voice acting and script/story: As you would expect from the makers of Heavy Rain the story is good and all of the actors do a great job especially Ellen Page who happens to be my favourite actor.
    game play: Now
    this is were the game get hated a lot as you know this is some what of a interactive movie so the game play is good in some parts bad in others.
    over all conclusion: Beyond 2 Souls is a good game and is a change because people have been begging for a change from over the top shooter and game like Beyond 2 Souls is the game and if your a person who can love a game based on its story then this is the game for you I had fun with the story.
    I give it a 8 I hoe the scores get better because people need to wake up and realize they complained for a new different game and now they got it.
    score: 8/10
  80. Oct 27, 2013
    It's a step towards turning a video game not only fun or challenging but gives an additional value of emotions of identification...Since emotions dominate human behavior it's empower a game with much more impact and makes the player much more involved with what's is happening to the character he plays...I would dare to say this game is one more step forward in the evolution of video games...Now it's legitimate to cry in a video game...Bravo! Expand
  81. Oct 18, 2013
    Don't think twice. Buy this game. If you seek thick emotional plot, you loved Heavy Rain gameplay, and want something different from the generic war games out in the market, this game is for you.

This will appeal to men and women alike. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the co-op option together.

I am also a fan of multiple endings. I like to know that my decisions will affect the
    storyline, and it definitely does. Expand
  82. Nov 4, 2013
    Not all games need to have identical gameplay. This is not a shooter. It is not even a third person adventure, not in the traditional sense. It is an interactive movie.
    What it does is unique and done very well for those open to change.
    If you liked Heavy Rain, you'll like this. it is like that, only with better story, graphics, controls and acting.
    Truly one of a kind and of excellent
    quality. I love this game.
    But like heavy Rain, be warned going in it has extremely limited replayability and isn't too long by other game's standards. I wasn't watching the clock, but I think it was 10 hours long.
    But even one time through is worth buying. Rent if you're poor, but buy if you can to support well made art.
  83. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A Quantic dream mostra um pouco do que será na próxima geração com Beyond Two Souls. Uma trama muito bem elaborada e envolvente, com jogabilidade inovadora junto com gráficos maravilhosos resume bem o game. Superando seu antecessor espiritual, Heavy rain. Se comparado com Heavy rain, ta bem mais linear. Mas isso isso pode ser esquecido com o enredo fantástico, trilha sonora, jogabilidade melhor que a do seu antecessor e a ação muito bem aproveitada. Sem dúvidas Beyond Two souls uma obra prima feita pela Quantic dream que merece bastante atenção. Expand
  84. Oct 19, 2013
    Personally I love this game! Its re-playable if you want to change your actions to see what happens different and affects the story. Some chapters are a little short and has a few miner bugs, but other then that its great and the story is interesting and graphics are amazing!
  85. Oct 20, 2013
    What happens after death, what is there in the beyond? These are the questions that Quantic Dream's new title tries to ask. Beyond Two Souls is an incredibly beautiful game with a very beautiful and emotional storyline with a few surprising twists thrown into the mix. Is this game really worth your time? Well... it really depends on what your looking for these days in gaming. If you expect some AAA gameplay in this game, its not here (The Last of Us is a great alternative of storyline and gameplay). Also if you hated David Cage's previous title Heavy Rain due to the QTE's and slow gameplay then chances are you won't like this title either, this is stuff you should expect in a Quantic Dream game.

Beyond tells a story of girl named Jodie Holmes through her life ages 8 23. All her life she is attached to an entity named Aiden that protects her throughout the entirety of her life she tries to understand her entity's purpose here and understanding more on what lies beyond. This game is purely made for its story and the story here is exceptional, in addition, the performances by Ellen Page as Jodie Holmes and William Defoe as Nathan Hawkins are both amazing. The storyline here doesn't have as many plot holes like Heavy Rain does so that's relief. The story is very emotional and even more so with Heavy Rain and touches on a lot of sensitive subjects such as death, losing loved ones, and reconnecting with those we have lost (which I'm sure will make many shed some tears, I sure as hell did). It has an awesome plot that will keep you hooked for hours until the very end. However the only problem I had with the story was the way it is told. The game starts out in medias res and from there the story starts to jump around the place. For example, you would start out with Jodie in her childhood then jump into her in the military, then back to a kid, then teen and then suddenly you're wanted by the police. I kind of understand what kind of direction David Cage is going for doing a Tarantino style of direction, but all that does is make the story a little bit inconsistent. The connections between the story line is comprehensive yet I feel that the story being told in a linear format would've been a lot concise.

Beyond Two Souls was meant to be played as an experience and not for its pulse pounding gameplay which I'm not sure why people expect this from someone like David Cage. You have everything you expect from a game like this: linear structure, QTE's and button prompts to do certain thing around you. My favourite addition and mostly everyone else's favourite addition to the gameplay has to be Aiden. You are able to switch between Jodie and Aiden at any time during the game and as Aiden you are free to travel through matter, move objects, possess things and even suffocate people. This leads to test your morales in this game, for example, I was given a choice to get back at some kids that were bullying me. You have the option to get revenge or simply stay out of it. I chose to get revenge, while it was power inducing at first, let's just say there were a couple fatal and unfortunate events that have occurred. Even with Aiden's freedom you can't travel too far or else it hurts Jodie because of the entity connection and all that (I guess everything had its limits, right). Also the quick time events have been changed, everything has been moved to the right stick of the controller. The scheme is that you follow Jodie's movements with the right stick. At times it is hard to tell where Jodie is moving at time and can be frustrating for some but it didn't bother me the least because even if you fail all the QTE's the story still goes on. Since this is a Quantic Dream game, your actions can affect the entire story so there is some replay value within if you're interested in finding out what happens in another way of playing the game. There are also confirmed 12 different ways you can end this game (which is the same amount in Heavy Rain) and if you're a trophy hunter, good luck with a lot of playthroughs and grinding.

If you pre-ordered this game at Gamestop (or wherever you pre-order your games) you were promised to receive extra content, right. Yes we did let's list what we got: Additional gameplay, PS3 Theme, Avatars, and a Soundtrack (containing four songs, umm....) kind of a lacklustre pre-order if you ask me and the soundtrack while beautiful and haunting but really...only four songs. I remember in heavy rain there were at least sixteen songs and that's four times the amount than in Beyond. I expected a bit more from my pre-order other than a steelbook case.

Overall, Beyond Two Souls is well polished game with only a few bugs and texture pop-ins that isn't enough to break me out of the experience. Amazing and emotional story, memorable characters and haunting score. If you love games with a rich emotional story, I recommend Beyond Two Souls.

PS: Please provide feedback and like if this was helpful.

TY!
  86. Oct 20, 2013
    An absolutely incredibly cinematic gaming experience. Beyond: Two Souls boasts a rare quality of storytelling and engaging characters that we don't see in a lot of games today. If you thought Heavy Rain was the future of Gaming then Beyond: Two Souls is what you've been waiting for. And, like less radical and more rational consumers, if you felt Heavy Rain married cinema and gaming in a crescendo of evocative storytelling then Beyond: Two Souls will show you a new light a brighter light. I loved this game. I'll play it again and again. Expand
  87. Oct 23, 2013
    This is a great game. Graphics were great, and the acting from Ellen page and Willem Dafoe was excellent. Great soundtrack as well. The music was well suited to the various moods of the story as it progressed. Well done Quantic Dream.
  88. Oct 23, 2013
    At first I thought it looked terrible, but the I decided to give it a go, and it's actually turned out to be my absolute favourite game now! Topping The Last of Us, even though I'm a huge Naughty Dog fan boy. It's looks beautiful and the storyline just won't let you put the controller down. However, I'd say that you'll only enjoy this game if you like the idea of a game that is kind of a mix of a game, a film and a book. The story depth of a book, the visual and acting quality and general presentation (camera angles etc) of film, and the interaction of a game. As long as you're not expecting a game solely based around your skill and control of the character, then you'll love this game! Expand
  89. Oct 23, 2013
    Es un juego que de principio a fin te mantiene en vilo de lo que puede suceder, una rica historia, graficos de por si espectaculares, lastima que todo tiene un final, pero sin duda este juego quedara en el corazon de muchos, da bronca ver como tiene tan poco puntaje en ciertos reviews.
  90. Oct 24, 2013
    sick of these retards saying that this isent a game, its a movie. what the did you expect??? its made by the same people who made heavy rain!!! this game is beautiful and enjoying! love the graphics, and story. like how you connect with the main character along the way
  91. Oct 24, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls muy buen juego, excelente!, es muy interesante y emotivo, incluso llegue a llorar en una parte del juego, es heavy en verdad, uno se adentra en la historia y quiere saber que pasará. Que sea como una película y que las decisiones que tomemos cambien el rumbo de la historia lo hace aun mas interesante.
    Un 10.
  92. Oct 26, 2013
    Having just completed the game I'm amazed that anyone would not enjoy it.
    The story for me was fantastic and I was happy to be along for the ride, completely immersed in Jodie's journey.
    That is probably the most devisive thing about the game though, if you can't let yourself get pulled into Jodie's world then I can imagine it may seem muddled due to the shuffled stories and appear hard
    to follow..I do recommend you approach this with an open mind however as once you forget this is a 'game' and treat it as an experience you will be rewarded with what for me has been the best I've had in a long time, the 'Homeless' chapter especially as I've never cared so much about characters in a story as quickly or as deeply as in this one, such brilliant writing and indeed acting as Ellen Page and the supporting cast put so much emotion into their portrayal of those characters.

I wholeheartedly recommend you forget any score you've seen on any review site (including mine and this one) and find out yourself, but its definatley worth a try for the ride alone.
  93. Oct 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For me this was not only the most powerful experience in gaming I have ever had, it was also one of the most powerful experiences I have ever had,period. I have rarely been so enveloped into anything before in my life, and the fact that it came from a game is testament to quantic dreams talent,as in heavy rain you are taking through a tense and developing world but in this the character growth is near perfect in regards to its realism, by the end of the game I was left feeling like I had just reached a key moment in my life that will stay with me forever, I look forward to quantic dreams' next foray into cinematic gaming.
    (the game lost out on the 10/10 due to the slow motion combat being very hard to judge)
  94. Oct 28, 2013
    super game &GFx
    mooieste game dat ooit op e ps3 is geweest net iets teveel bugs in de game maar voor de reste zooo cool
    voor mij persoonlijk de game of the yaer kijk er al naar uit om hun nieuwste spel om de nieuw console te kunnen spelen
  95. Oct 28, 2013
    I "beat" the game the other day. "Beat" is a lose term here because this game offers almost nothing to beat. Visually appealing? Hell yes. Challenging? Hell no. I played Heavy Rain and while it wasn't my favorite game I loved how involved it made me feel. I felt like every choice made was going to screw me over so the game really engaged me. That never happens in Beyond. The choices you have to make don't really effect the narrative because the game is already told in a non-linear order. So any choices you make won't matter. The only freedom of choice you have is toward the end of the game. But by then I was so disconnected I couldn't care less what happened. This game had potential though. If it were told In chronological order and it took us on a journey through Jodie's life, it would have been amazing. Because the premise is there, just not the gameplay. Playing as Aiden has its ups and downs. I don't understand why I can only kill and possess certain people. If these parts of the game were open ended, letting you decide how to take care of enemies, I would have loved it. That just points to what I said earlier about the game playing it self with almost no input required from the user other than find the white dots and trigger cut scene after cut scene. I hope Quantic Dream keeps making games like this though. Its unique yes, but its not a good game. The only things keeping this game above a 5 are Ellen Page's performance, and the visuals. 6.4/10 Expand
  96. Oct 28, 2013
    Redtail2212

Beyond two souls is a story driven game that being said some action scene may to not be seen that well done but it makes up for it in the story. You fell for the main charter and the side characters it provide some of the best graphic seen on consoles. Some might argue that the game play was bad but the walking dead got game of the year and it was a point click game. Beyond
    two souls packs a epic experience for all players i just wish it was on PC. Expand
  97. Oct 28, 2013
    Everything about this game is just as good as I remember Heavy Rain. Being like heavy rain sparked my interest in it, in the first place. But this game was absolutely incredible and a must have for any heavy rain fans out there. If you loved Heavy Rain, you'll love Beyond! No doubt about it!
  98. Oct 29, 2013
    it is in the first 3 most intresting stories of 2013 for me, and that is presented by the the common quantic style with the fast action scenes, wich are still fantastic
  99. Oct 30, 2013
    This game is not for everyone so i won't say buy it, but i will say try and play it.

It is very difficult to review i can appropriate the effort that went into this game, the game its self is an amazing intense story that will get you hooked, yes its like an interactive movie, but yet so much more, but it will not be everyone's cupa tea. My suggestions if your unsure, would be to wait
    until it gets cheaper then buy it.

Its so hard to put this in to a particular genre, as you do many things throughout the game. action adventure, thriller, spiritual,drama. Its a game that makes you think about life, and whats out there.. Its a great gaming/watching experience, one that most should play and hopefully appreciate its beauty.
  100. Oct 29, 2013
    awesome game i felt so connected to the story and great graphics cant wait to see what next gen has in store. controls and camera angels were a bit awkward at some times but other than that 10/10

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.