• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Oct 9, 2013
    Well, this is a game, this is not a movie, this is a 50/50 game. Half game half movue and this is great, if you like Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead you will like this too, I'm sure. @gamesreflexoes
  2. Oct 10, 2013
    Beyond is actually the first game which I finished in only one day. Not because it was too short, but because I simply could not stop playing it... I couldn't resist the urge to know what lies "beyond"!
    What Quantic Dream, especially of course David Cage and Ellen Page, achieved with the PS3 is simply amazing and breathtaking. Beyond takes the medium "Game" finally to the point, where we can say, that games can be considered a intellectual art form to which we should pay the same amount of respect then to good movies and books...
    If you appreciate movies like Donnie Darko, The Fountain, Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind or 2001: Odyssey in space, you will LOVE Beyond, because it is the best possible combination of these 4! Pure Poetry and Perfection, Biggest Respect and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who made this possible!
  3. Oct 9, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If you're looking for something different, Beyond: Two Souls is that. Anyone who played Heavy Rain should know what kind of game to expect from Quantic Dream, and if that's your kind of thing, then Beyond is worth looking at.

Visually, Beyond stuns in almost every way. The motion capture and facial expressions blow me away at every turn, and helped to pull me into dramatic scenes. The painful expressions on Ellen Page's face captivated me during Jodie's trials and tribulations, grabbing hold of me and never really letting go until the end, when I put my control down and just said "wow." I did notice that the animation of objects in the world suffered, in comparison to the mocap of the actors, though it didn't happen often, it was enough to make me raise a brow to the archaic-looking animation, which was in the same frame as the rest of this beautiful game.

The gameplay for Beyond is varied and, at times, unclear. Going from Jodie as a child to her as a young CIA operative present very different aspects of the same game, which don't always work. As a CIA operative, you can use Aiden to scout out the path in front of you, an occasionally deal with a pesky guard. What is odd, however, is how the game lets you kill/possess certain enemies with the entity, and others you can do nothing about. There is no indication as to why this it, but it just is. The scenarios are easy to figure out (possess X, shoot Y and Z and then X), but it's frustrating that why you can't possess anyone is never explained. The sneak mechanics are also odd, giving you the choice to leap over a concrete road block, but not a broken wall of the same height. Outside of those missions, the controls and mechanics of the game all work brilliantly, from using Aiden to eavesdrop on conversations or to mimic the emotions of Jodie through destruction.

The story for Beyond is, at first, confusing. Until the last 20% of the game, the story line jumps from Jodie's childhood to her as a young woman, with the only constant being her relationship with Aiden. This chaotic approach doesn't make much sense until the last few scenes of the game, but I promise you, it will all come together if you have the patience to see this game through.
    The story is filled with powerful, heart-wrenching moments. I was reduced to tears on three different occasions in the game, and there are many moments that will pull on your heartstrings as you watch the highs and lows of Jodie's life play out on the screen.

I picked the game up at the same time as a friend yesterday, and when I asked him during the evening where he was, we were both at the same part if the game, but with very varied story lines. His Jodie was aloof and cold to the world, while mine put her trust in the people that looked after her. This lead to each of us having a different experience with her character and the game in general, and this is something that I'm looking forward to on my next playthrough.

Overall, Beyond: Two Souls is an ambitious and unique project with a confusing storyline until the end of the game. For those who are interested in taking a step outside the norm for a video game, you can be treated to a delightful, story-driven experience, with powerful performances by Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. Beyond isn't for everyone, but for anyone who plays more than Call of Duty and Madden, this game is worth taking a look at.
  4. Oct 12, 2013
    This game, which is very much a interactive movie have extremely nice moments in the story as well as heart racing action, its no heavy rain but its still good. Graphics and sound are stunning and ellan page is great. Sadley its done in a bad order instead of a normal timeline making the story feel broken. Its give you three choices NICE, being a complete troll by trolling all the livingThis game, which is very much a interactive movie have extremely nice moments in the story as well as heart racing action, its no heavy rain but its still good. Graphics and sound are stunning and ellan page is great. Sadley its done in a bad order instead of a normal timeline making the story feel broken. Its give you three choices NICE, being a complete troll by trolling all the living characters into fear or darn evil and start killing everything that moves. This gives it replay value, im playing nice/ trolling iden the first time jody being a good girl, next time ill play evil iden and dirty jodie. Its not a runner for any awards cage screwed up here, it could of been alot better and its his creative responsibility. Expand
  5. Oct 11, 2013
    The best game of this genre, the action is small, but the estimate is obvious solid 10. What is most liked so it protaganicheskoe management (or in other words, "only forward or damn, I forgot something," Just like the genre, the right choice. I look forward to similar games, just from the developers. Just waiting for the continuation, personal life adventure travel.
  6. Oct 13, 2013
    wesome game Great story, graphics and gameplay. This game is the best. David Cage is a genius. You should buy this game with your money because it is game of the year and David Cage is a genius. David Cage you genius.
  7. Oct 13, 2013
    This game is spectacular in many ways. The graphics are amazing, the gameplay is awesome, especially as Aiden and Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe did a astounding job in this game with the performance capture and voice acting. The story is well-written and intense and caught me off guard several times. There may be parts that are boring to some people but for others that's just part of theThis game is spectacular in many ways. The graphics are amazing, the gameplay is awesome, especially as Aiden and Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe did a astounding job in this game with the performance capture and voice acting. The story is well-written and intense and caught me off guard several times. There may be parts that are boring to some people but for others that's just part of the experience. Quantic Dream did a great job with this game and I'm eagerly looking forward to the next game from this company Expand
  8. Oct 9, 2013
    Amazing graphics.
    Interesting experiences.
    Awesome musics.
    Natural character animation,voice acting.
    This game was so exciting that I lost track of time.
  9. Oct 11, 2013
    The story is utterly beautiful that made me tear up several times. Page and Dafoe are incredible. This game is a masterpiece. The gameplay isn't for everyone and I don't fault anyone for not liking it. I completely fell in love with it. A little into the summer i said that unless Beyond completely blows me away then The Last of Us is gonna be my Game of the Year. Well guess what? BeyondThe story is utterly beautiful that made me tear up several times. Page and Dafoe are incredible. This game is a masterpiece. The gameplay isn't for everyone and I don't fault anyone for not liking it. I completely fell in love with it. A little into the summer i said that unless Beyond completely blows me away then The Last of Us is gonna be my Game of the Year. Well guess what? Beyond totally and utterly blew me away. Only complaint I have is the story would have been better in chronological order. Expand
  10. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is what makes Sony great. Nobody thought throwing paint on walls could be an enjoyable game or riding on the wind as a flower, but Sony made it happen. My hat is off to Mr. Cage for making such an emotional experience that had me right at the start! Really love the fighting game mechanics as well since they are all focused on motion. Can't wait to finish the game!
  11. Oct 8, 2013
    amazing story, amazing game and amazing graphics and detials
    one of the best games i ever played this year and it's a huge leap over heavy rain

,not for everyone though
  12. Oct 8, 2013
    These are two words which can describe this game
    Beautiful
    Strange

I do not listen to those who say that this game is very bad or great to judge that you must to experience this game

And for me score of this game is 10/10
  13. Oct 9, 2013
    There's no other way than playing the game HIMSELF to judge its quality. The game is fantastic, it's an interactive story BUT contains excellent game-play parts, especially when controlling Aiden through walls, spying the surrounding environment and defending Jodie by killing her pursuers. A great game from an innovative French studio.
  14. Oct 9, 2013
    Outstanding,amazing gameplay,extremely amazing story,Great ending,this is the perfect game.If you liked heavy rain you will love this it is a 100x better.Another outstanding game quantic dream well done.Also very emotionally gripping I felt I was in the story and you love or hate each character,you choose your path you create the story.
  15. Oct 13, 2013
    Overall a solid game. Lacks a little in the gameplay but because of it's amazing plot I can overlook that. Ellen Page's performance is mesmerising and I found myself playing for a good 4 hours strange without looking anywhere else but at the screen.
    Many reviewers have criticised the game's story telling as they found it, 'inconsistent.' At first I would have agreed with them but actually placing the scenes in chronological order yourself helps and actually clears many things up. This game can not and should not be compared to games like Assassin's creed, COD etc. This game is more of a narrative game rather than gameplay based.
    A must own in my opinion.
  16. Dec 9, 2013
    The illusion of choice while forcing the uninspired story down a predetermined path masked by genuinely good graphics and actual actors does not make a good game. This linear visual novel banked everything on the story with little of anything that could be considered gameplay elements (i.e. a smattering of button prompts) and failed to deliver a unique experience or any actual gravity fromThe illusion of choice while forcing the uninspired story down a predetermined path masked by genuinely good graphics and actual actors does not make a good game. This linear visual novel banked everything on the story with little of anything that could be considered gameplay elements (i.e. a smattering of button prompts) and failed to deliver a unique experience or any actual gravity from the choices you make throughout the game. A more appropriate title would be "Beyond: Wasted Potential." Expand
  17. Oct 11, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is perfect. It has a mixture of every genre (military action, horror, fantasy, drama, sci-fi). Not sure what more you could want. The story is so gripping that even if my controller was turned off the whole time I wouldn't have minded. It affected me on an emotional level that I haven't really experienced in a game before, there are times when you have to make choices andBeyond: Two Souls is perfect. It has a mixture of every genre (military action, horror, fantasy, drama, sci-fi). Not sure what more you could want. The story is so gripping that even if my controller was turned off the whole time I wouldn't have minded. It affected me on an emotional level that I haven't really experienced in a game before, there are times when you have to make choices and it truly kills you to do so because each and every character is so relate-able and the dialogue is flawlessly written. This game has been truly robbed of the status is deserved by the critics, after playing it, what I'm reading is nothing but an absolute abomination.
    Amazing work Quantic Dream, ignore the bad reviews and keep making incredible games, your originality and spectacular attention to detail is beyond what most developers neglect to do successfully these days.
  18. Oct 11, 2013
    Great game. Wonderfully unique experience. I hope some of the mixed reviews do not mess up the chances of them making more games. You can nit pick certain aspects of the game. Like consistency in the story, but they made something special here
  19. Oct 14, 2013
    A beautiful cinematic game. It plays like a movie and is amazing at its delicate hands. If cinematic movies or very styled graphics get you playing, by 5 hours you'd have been finished
  20. Oct 20, 2013
    okay as a veteran game player of all systems and a extreme veteran of the ps3. I can honestly say without a doubt that Beyond: Two Souls is my favorite ps3 games of all time. And i can give you a few reasons why. WARNING: I have not played Heavy Rain which is apparently better but just hear me out. Ok lets start with one of my favorite featurs of the game. The somewhat funny entity Aiden.okay as a veteran game player of all systems and a extreme veteran of the ps3. I can honestly say without a doubt that Beyond: Two Souls is my favorite ps3 games of all time. And i can give you a few reasons why. WARNING: I have not played Heavy Rain which is apparently better but just hear me out. Ok lets start with one of my favorite featurs of the game. The somewhat funny entity Aiden. He is Conected to our protaganist. He is mostly used in situations of dire need from our main character. And although he is just a entity that NEVER talks in the game. You can tell he has emotion. In many cases in this game he gets angry from the people around him. He also gets mad when people mess with Our Protaganist Jodie. Now Lets get onto the next subject which is Jodie herself. She plays alot like the characters from The Walking Dead games. she can interact with her enviroment in ways that could change the game. She has alot of emotion and you can hear it in the voice actresses voice. Ok now lets get into gameplay. The game itself plays alot like a typical TellTale Games adventure game.(press this button to pick up this etc.) But with a twist of adding combat into the mix. It freshens up the style of a adventure game but retains the adventure games great features. One of the great things about the combat is real simple and not over complicated. It doesnt make you fell pressured like in rpgs. Ok now lets move into the story. This has been the main complaint of the game. The fact that you play the story jumbled up into different parts is confusing to some and great to people like me. It also freshens up the regular adventure game elements leving you to figure out what order things happen in. But if you do not like that there is also a timeline to help you. The story missions vary from five minutes, to what seems like 2 hours. Also the story makes you feel attatched to all the characters and you feel the emotions they do. If Jodie is scared your scared to. Ok lets move into the graphics. And they are nothing shorter then the best damn graphics I have ever seen. For a game on the slowly dying ps3 it looks better then most ps4 games announced. You can see every detail on every character. It makes the game so much better. Overall Beyond Two Souls is the best PS3 game i have ever played with beautiful graphics. a gripping story. and freshened up adventure game style gameplay with new combat style. Which is why i give it a ten out of ten. Go out and buy this game if you havent already Expand
  21. Oct 17, 2013
    Amazing acting, beautiful graphics immersed me for the entire game, however I would've liked a better way to tell the story, and it may have been a bit better if the game wasn't as passive as it is, but it's great nontheless.
  22. Oct 14, 2013
    By the makers if Heavy Rain, French developers Quantic Dream are at it again with another emotionally intense, action packed video game with great actors and an even better story line. Beyond follows the life of Jodie Holmes throughout fifteen years of her life, giving you the ability to dictate how it all plays out by allowing you to make important decisions in her life. Within theBy the makers if Heavy Rain, French developers Quantic Dream are at it again with another emotionally intense, action packed video game with great actors and an even better story line. Beyond follows the life of Jodie Holmes throughout fifteen years of her life, giving you the ability to dictate how it all plays out by allowing you to make important decisions in her life. Within the twenty-two different possible endings, I'm quite satisfied with the one I got, and trust me when I say that when you start playing, you won't want to stop. With a game that keeps you on the edge of your seat in suspense, there of course are flaws, but few. For starters, there isn't a whole lot of gameplay itself, but then again, David Cage's games aren't like that. They're story and decision based, so a game like this was expected. The other would be the predictability at some parts of the story, but it's an enjoyable predictability if I do say so myself. The last flaw can be taken as either a flaw or perfection; the inability to fail. When you make a mistake much like Heavy Rain, the story continues around that mistake, overall affecting your ending of the game. This however is a good way to keep you on your feet in places like Somalia when you're on a mission to take down a world leader. All in all, David Cage has evolved in story-telling and game experience, making this his best game to date. I will definitely be looking forward to future development of games and would recommend this game to everyone. Except COD players. I recommend crap to them. Expand
  23. Oct 14, 2013
    Special, amazing journey! Excellent characters! Fantastic graphics! Great story and gameplay! I love Ellen Page Surplus impossible game! Experience! THANK QUANTIC DREAM!
  24. Oct 17, 2013
    This is really amazing game. Starting form technical side Quantic Dream brought to us next-gen game, on current-gen console. Graphics, physics and particle effects are amazing and all this things in stable 30 FPS. Magnificent. Gameplay is also great, but for me the fight sequences are not as natural in controling as they should be(but still they, are really good), also using Aiden isThis is really amazing game. Starting form technical side Quantic Dream brought to us next-gen game, on current-gen console. Graphics, physics and particle effects are amazing and all this things in stable 30 FPS. Magnificent. Gameplay is also great, but for me the fight sequences are not as natural in controling as they should be(but still they, are really good), also using Aiden is really nice.
    And here we came to story, by cutting it into parts and show us them as not chronologically it should be, only maked this game better. It makes us more interested into some plots than it normally would does.
    Only scratch on this game is that mostly our choices really don't make a difference in story going on but still story is great, and it leaves a lot of space for sequel, hopefully on PS4(maybe PS5 expierence on PS4, just as PS4 expierence on PS3 via this game ).
    I want to say THANK YOU to all people involved in process of making this great game! Once again THANK YOU!
  25. Oct 11, 2013
    Captivating. This game is everything The Walking Dead by Felltale Games tried to be. Beautiful in every aspect acting, story, graphically, and lives to tell a story. The flaws presented in this game are flaws that The Walking Dead shared, but people ignored. I am willing to ignore the flaws due to the minor fact that my choices had some impact, unlike they did in The Walking Dead.
  26. Oct 20, 2013
    The animation quality in this game is astounding and it kept that level of quality through the entire game. It also used the hardware it was given to its best extent and even with the PS3 the graphics looked impressive. The concept of the story is interesting and the performance of the people like Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe makes it memorable.

The game got weaknesses like any other

The game got weaknesses like any other game and in this case the gameplay could sometimes feel lackluster and i found myself throughout the game wishing that i could have some input on the otherwise great dialogue. The game sometimes forgot that the player is important and went its own way but it did always return to give some agency to the player
  27. Oct 11, 2013
    Amazing! Just simply amazing! This game is amazing from start to finish with only a couple of bumps in the road. Quantic Dream has done it again and brought fourth a revolutionary game.
  28. Nov 11, 2013
    The game has a wonderful main character. Ellen Page has done an amazing job portraying a rather clichéd stereotype as something profoundly unique. Sadly, with a few exceptions, a lot of the other characters are being left flat. As players, we get to follow Jodie's story through achronological parts. In her case, it is not a problem we get to know here anyway, and puzzle the storyThe game has a wonderful main character. Ellen Page has done an amazing job portraying a rather clichéd stereotype as something profoundly unique. Sadly, with a few exceptions, a lot of the other characters are being left flat. As players, we get to follow Jodie's story through achronological parts. In her case, it is not a problem we get to know here anyway, and puzzle the story together ourselves. It is a great trick that keeps us wondering, and might even fill us with glee when we get to go back to a part we earlier enjoyed. However, we also get a very jumbled grasp on supporting characters, which leaves them flat and uninteresting.

The idea of Aiden is a great one. I had hoped that the harder difficulty would let one figure out by oneself how to solve the missions, but sadly Aiden can only solve the mission in one way. You cannot choose whether to strangle a guard or distract him there is only one possible action. This draws away some immersion, but is overall understandable. It is quite clear that Quantic Dream wants to tell a story not let us create one. They allow us to change fluff but not any actual consequences. And while they let us change what the main character does they do not let us change what the main character thinks. If you do not want to play through the romance option available, you do not have too but Jodie will still have feelings.

The controls are overall good, but to an unexperienced gamer, whom might like Heavy Rain or the Walking Dead episodes, the controls as Aiden can be disorienting and extremely difficult. I must admit even I got disoriented a few times. The fighting controls are awesome I love the idea, as I loved it's implementation in Uncharted: Golden Abyss on the Vita however, they are quite counterintuitive. The action you must perform is based on the cameras position, not your characters, and the prompts are often hard to see. Quite a few time I have been convinced I should dodge, just to find out the game wanted a block, and vice versa.

The graphics, animations and music especially the cover of Beck's Lost Cause are amazing and leaves nothing to be desired.

Overall, the game has it's flaws. I would still without hesitation recommended Beyond: Two Souls to anyone that is looking for a game with a likeable character, an emotional story and an experience.
  29. Oct 21, 2013
    Pros
    Excellent graphics
    Ellen Page turns in a good performance The homeless scene isn’t bad cons Incredibly restrictive gameplay Very little in the way of actual choice or influence on the game world Phenomenally tedious and dull nearly all the way through The QTE-driven action sequences are impossibly boring If you think about most plot elements for even a few seconds, they’re
    Pros
    Excellent graphics
    Ellen Page turns in a good performance
    The homeless scene isn’t bad

cons
    Incredibly restrictive gameplay
    Very little in the way of actual choice or influence on the game world
    Phenomenally tedious and dull nearly all the way through
    The QTE-driven action sequences are impossibly boring
    If you think about most plot elements for even a few seconds, they’re utter nonsense
    The disjointed structure just doesn’t work
    Troubling depictions of other races, and an ugly attitude towards humanity in general
  30. Oct 13, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is genuinely an unforgettable experience in turns of telling a beautifully crafted story and an emotionally intrigued gameplay interaction with both Jodie and Aiden. The variety of choices you engage through the journey really brings the characters and environments to life, and Quantic Dream did a phenomenal job in leading my senses connected with these choices throughoutBeyond: Two Souls is genuinely an unforgettable experience in turns of telling a beautifully crafted story and an emotionally intrigued gameplay interaction with both Jodie and Aiden. The variety of choices you engage through the journey really brings the characters and environments to life, and Quantic Dream did a phenomenal job in leading my senses connected with these choices throughout the entire game from start to finish! I just cannot recommend this game enough to anyone who's looking for a unique gaming experience, not the usual triple A title you often see or hear from media or game critiques alike. I also really look forward to the next IP the team will be bring to us for the PS4. Thank you again for making such a great game along with Heavy Rain and Indigo Prophecy. Expand
  31. Oct 10, 2013
    Words can't describe how amazing this game is. If you ever played heavy rain or the walking dead by telltale and you enjoyed how the gameplay was then go where ever you buy your games and go pick this baby up you wont regret it.
  32. Nov 17, 2013
    Wow this is an amazing game. Do not listen to narrow minded people who only play COD and don;t know what story is.
    The time flies so fast when you play this game. Amazing graphics makes it even more interesting.
  33. Oct 9, 2013
    An absolute masterpiece. The best looking console game (graphically) to date, top notch acting, writing, cinematography and music.

So many complaints that "this is not a game," I actually love that it strays so far from generic and traditional game play. Its not as if there is a shortage of other games out there....For me it was an engrossing, breathtaking twelve hour cinematic experience. I don't care if you call it a movie, a game or an interactive visual novel. I loved it every bit as much and in a completely different manner than I did The Last of Us, GTA V and Bioshock Infinite, which were my other favorite games this year.

One criticism that I hesitate to acknowledge is that this game could have been watched on YouTube for free, so it was a waste of $60. That is a valid point, but that does not take away from the game, it simply points our a major benefit of YouTube for cheap gamers. Though on YouTube you would lose out on the decision making, which kept me intrigued to learn how the consequences of my actions played out.

Loved the game, it was a unique experience on par with and even exceeding at times Quantic Dream's previous works. Give it a try, there is no reason to hate something because it is different.
  34. Oct 10, 2013
    PROS Great game flow, even if you make a couple of mistakes, it will allow you to continue with the story. I found that you had to perform the sequences perfectly in "Heavy Rain" which got frustrating at times and affected the pace/feel of the game.
    Great Graphics and the performances being done by actors made the game more rich and intense.
    Even a great game for someone to spectate,
    Even a great game for someone to spectate, and discuss with. (IE my wife)

Cons At times, very confusing and frustrating camera controls you want to look around the world, but you cannot at times.

Overall, it was a very good experience, and I look forward to trying different scenarios to see how the game will adapt to decision making.
  35. Oct 10, 2013
    Awesome graphics, beautiful gameplay, maybe a interactive novel, excellent characters great history you can felt joy, suffer and felt scary with the protagonist,
    good work for Quantic dream
  36. Oct 11, 2013
    Complete the story before making judgement. This game will be one of the most alienating games ever, you'll either love it or hate it personally I enjoyed it. There's a lot of confusion with the jumping timeline and you won't really understand what's going on for too much of the game, but that "Aha!" when you complete it and everything makes sense really makes it mark. Like Heavy RainComplete the story before making judgement. This game will be one of the most alienating games ever, you'll either love it or hate it personally I enjoyed it. There's a lot of confusion with the jumping timeline and you won't really understand what's going on for too much of the game, but that "Aha!" when you complete it and everything makes sense really makes it mark. Like Heavy Rain there are many endings you can find, the graphics/facial movements are top notch and the story (once it all comes together) really effects you. The gameplay is a bit over simplified and there are some quirks when controlling Aiden, but overall its definitely worth a try. Expand
  37. Oct 11, 2013
    beyond two souls go above and BEYOND ha what should have been expected. with a near perfect blend of game play and story telling it was near impossible for me to put down the controller. with a story that grips at your heart and makes you only want the best for young confused Jody. what little problems i had with the game where just that...little. some buggy mechanics hear and there andbeyond two souls go above and BEYOND ha what should have been expected. with a near perfect blend of game play and story telling it was near impossible for me to put down the controller. with a story that grips at your heart and makes you only want the best for young confused Jody. what little problems i had with the game where just that...little. some buggy mechanics hear and there and the controls could have used some fine tweaking but nothing nearly bad enough to make me sing anything but the highest praises. i strongly suggest buying this game if you love a good story. as far as games go this is a work of art. Expand
  38. Oct 13, 2013
    good work for Quantic dream
  39. Oct 15, 2013
    This amazing game, I don't know why this game received many bad valuation, because I think this game is best game in this year. 10/10
    Thanks David Cage))
  40. Nov 5, 2013
    A huge step down from Heavy Rain. This is actually the most accurate thing I can say about this game.

First the positive things, the visuals are amazing, from simply a graphics view this is the best game on any console ever. It probably is the best-looking console game we will see on this generation of consoles and with next-gen looming around the corner I am intrigued to see what Quantic Dream can do with better hardware. But that is the most positive thing that can be said about the game.

The story and characters are a weird mix of intriguing and disappointing. The characters seem interesting and engaging at first but the character development is hindered by the disrupting timeline which makes it hard to connect with the characters. The acting in this game is topnotch which isn't a surprise seeing as the main characters are portrayed by Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, but at the same time I can't see them as characters of the game but I just see Ellen Page or Willem Dafoe as actors in different situations and that doesn't speak for the writing. The writing is actually one of the main problems with the game, it fails to set the tone for the great actors they got for the game and fails to make them compelling which again is probably due to the in-consequent timeline presented for the first half of the game. The story is also lacking the drive that Heavy Rain showed us, everything is riding on the main character, Ellen Page, the writers threw her in various situations that were supposed to get the gamer involved and care about here but those situations felt random and just unrealistic. For example did she seem to get only involved in very bad situations, a birthday party where the kids just randomly picked on her, after being nice to her at first or a bar where three men just decided to try to rape the under-aged girl that came in, I'm not saying that this can't happen or hasn't unfortunately happened to some people but here it just feels like filler and just a bad try to add to a weak story. The writers don't even fear to throw in the often-used and borderline insulting ....Native American family that just knows about some spirits and that guide the main character.

The biggest problem about this game is the gameplay though, there is none. It boils down to pushing some buttons that don't matter and have no real effect on the game itself. Here we can draw a comparison to Heavy Rain or similar games like The Walking Dead and The Wolf Among Us, these games work well because not just the story and characters are more engaging but also because your choices matter and change the outcome of the game. In Heavy Rain for example, people die if you make the wrong decisions or it will have some other consequences but in Beyond:Two Souls you can't even fail the game, the game will find some way to not let you fail or cut to another scene where you then can escape with a few button-pushes. This takes away the urgency that you felt in Heavy Rain and just dumbs the game down.

Beyond: Two Souls is a major disappointment, it's an incoherent sample of scenes that you can move forward by pushing some buttons but in the end it doesn't even come close to the experiences that were Heavy Rain(Quantic Dream) or similar games like The Walking Dead(Telltale).
  41. Nov 19, 2013
    The best game 2013. Awsome story and gameplay. Hope there coming more games like that. This is an immersive storytelling masterpiece. This is a game i ever wished how computergames should be.
  42. Sep 6, 2014
    Complete garbage, yet only the second worst game made by David Cage, a dubious title which belongs to Indigo Prophecy/Fahrenheit. Play Heavy Rain instead, or better yet, don't touch any of David Cage's games with a 100 foot barge pole.
  43. Oct 27, 2013
    Ellen Page really transforms this game into a true emotional experience. While the story is a bit choppy at first due to being split into different parts which aren't playing in the order they happened in, it eventually all comes together in one big, heart-tearing finale.

While it has some minor flaws in pacing and isn't very challenging, I definately recommend it to anyone who enjoys games such as Heavy Rain or the Telltale Games.

Don't let bad reviews scare you away.
    Play the demo and you'll see for yourself that this game is a true gem.
  44. Dec 26, 2013
    Dont go in expecting F.E.A.R. chills. Think of it like a classic point and click adventure (with some point and click 'action' bits) and you won't be disapointed.

The story is good, but you'll probably guess it well before the end. The characters, story telling, graphics and sound are excellent. Pacing is good. You will remember some scenes for a long time. Its like a solid, well

The story is good, but you'll probably guess it well before the end.

Its like a solid, well made interactive movie.
  45. Oct 30, 2013
    Wow, what a game! I wasn't expecting anything special since GamesMaster only gave it 60% but now I'm so glad I did give it a go. For anyone that has played Heavy Rain, this game is set out like that, for those of you that haven't, there are a lot of quick time events that take place, meaning you have to think fast! Another thing that makes this similar to Heavy Rain is the fact that everyWow, what a game! I wasn't expecting anything special since GamesMaster only gave it 60% but now I'm so glad I did give it a go. For anyone that has played Heavy Rain, this game is set out like that, for those of you that haven't, there are a lot of quick time events that take place, meaning you have to think fast! Another thing that makes this similar to Heavy Rain is the fact that every decision you make during game effects the outcome, overall there are about 23 endings for this game (so I have read online) and I've only seen one so far, meaning I'll probably have to play the game again a few more times to see a small number of them.

The storyline itself can be quite confusing to start off with, I didn't really understand what was going on until about 3/4 of the way in which I suppose is a good thing as it makes you want to play through the game to understand what it's all about. It's quite a short game as it only consists of about 26 chapters (a lot less than the 50 or so that Heavy Rain had to offer.) It only took me about a day or so to complete but nevertheless it's still one that's worth picking up. The graphics and voice acting from the likes of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe make the game very enjoyable and entertaining. However, for those people that aren't into cutscenes and just like to get into the action, I don't think this game is your cup of tea but it's still worth playing anyway.
  46. Oct 31, 2013
    Is Beyond: Two Souls in the right category Is it a game or a movie I don't really care, in both cases it has the same defects and qualities.

Let's start with the qualities : - The pitch is nice, with a great potential for storytelling and character development. - The character is lovable - Graphics are mostly really nice, I say mostly because some facial animations seemed very

Let's start with the qualities :
    - The character is lovable
    - Graphics are mostly really nice, I say mostly because some facial animations seemed very unnatural to me

And... that's it... let's check what I didn't like
    - The idea of playing scenes in a random order. even though it's "explained" later, it was pointless, and very irritating in the beginning, giving me the sensation that I was given random stories to play for a short time, before jumping to another.
    - It is soooo looonngggg... not in the good way. I have to walk through that corridor Why does everyone walks faster than me It simply makes the scenes longer (and boring), and breaks the rhythm.
    - It's often predictable, It uses schemes already seen, again and again, in too many movies,
    - Same thing for the characters, a lot of them are very cliché. Behind Jodie, most of the characters are transparent and/or irritating.
    - It's supposed to be an interactive movie, but the interactions are only pressing the button that the "game" asks you to press. Some games, behind a gameplay, manage to tell a story while giving some real choices to the player, with consequences on the scenario. Here, nothing, only a few different endings, with the choice just before, making it completely artificial.

In the end, even with it's encouraging concept, this game/movie is disappointing.
    It is a bad movie, a succession of cliché with no rhythm.
    it is a bad game, as the player has no role at all in the story.

Honestly, I think that is someone decides to capture a walkthrough, and makes a good montage of it, cutting boring parts etc., It might become a decent movie... with a lot of cliché, but decent.
    In it's current/official state, it's not worth playing/watching
  47. Dec 11, 2013
    Amazing story, incredibly acted. I had a lot more fun and felt a lot more emotions playing this than Heavy Rain, which was praised so much. I would definitely rate this one higher than the shallow Heavy Rain. Review sites giving this low reviews should be ashamed of themselves. Average User Scores are a lot more reliable on most occasions!
  48. Oct 19, 2013
    I don't typically review games, but I felt the need to do so for Beyond: Two Souls.
    The game was absolutely fantastic. As a huge fan of the Mass Effect series, and others that pride themselves on the element of player-choice, I was blown away by the options presented within this game. The choices flow organically, and often times, the player isn't even aware that another choice could have been made.
    After having sat three people down to play a segment of the game, I've watched the same scenario play out three different ways.
    The story itself was also absolutely fantastic, and very compelling. Beyond: Two Souls might be the most 'human' game I've ever played. The story, and events within it, have this awesome way of beginning as this nice, innocent scenario, and spiraling into something dark and catastrophic.
    The only negative aspect, and this can vary from person to person, as it didn't bother me, or those I've spoken to about it, is the gameplay, or rather lack thereof. I personally wouldn't even consider this point topical, though, given the commercial success of games such as The Walking Dead, or Heavy Rain before it.
    If you enjoy stories, of any sort, then you owe it to yourself to try this game out.
    Excellent writing, beautiful graphics, amazing set-pieces, and a very emotional, compelling narrative.
  49. Oct 14, 2013
    Your mileage may vary, but for me, the game is transcendent.

Your mileage may vary, but for me, the game is transcendent.

It transcends both video games and movies to become something greater than either medium would ever be by themselves. I'm an avid gamer (I have 400+ Steam games, 400+ iOS games, and 100+ console games). Yet--to speak for myself--*I* found this game far more moving, thought-provoking, meaningful, and entertaining than many other games (including Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, Grand Theft Auto 4-5, The Last of Us, and others).

I can only compare it to Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead, or the Metal Gear Solid series: deep rich stories that have themes and messages that convey something of lasting meaning; something beyond the mindless (but fun) shooting and platforming of other titles.

I will remember this game for years to come. There are few works of fiction of any medium for which I can say the same.

If you like a rich deep story line and don't care about a lack of "agency" (it's always illusory in video games, anyway--there are always incredibly restrictive rules on game play), then this is *the* game of the seventh generation. The comparably minor errors in execution and direction can be ignored, when viewed in light of the whole.

Indeed, the question of whether this qualifies as a game is, like Dear Ester, a largely irrelevant and pedantic: It entertains. It provokes thought. It is emotionally moving. And it illustrates that games--like cinema or literature--can be taken seriously as a medium to both entertain and enlighten.

It seems to me that most reviewers of this game have profoundly and tragically missed the point.

I've tentatively come to the conclusion that most people who dislike Beyond do so because they cannot (or will not) accept the game on its own terms: They have certain expectations of video games, and deviation from well-established norms vexes them. So, for instance, they demand interactivity, even when accepting passivity allows a far more compelling and moving narrative.

In contrast, other people are more flexible (with regards to their expectations of the medium). For instance, the "passivity" of playing Beyond did not bother me in the slightest. I knew what I was getting into, and I knew it was worth the tradeoff: there has been only one other title in forty years of gaming history that provides an experience comparable to Beyond: Two Souls, and it was released three years ago (Heavy Rain).

I believe that many reviewers, given their larger than average exposure to the medium are even less tolerant that other players of certain deviations from gameplay norms. This, I think, explains the large divergence of opinions on metacritic, and the (to me) inconceivably low average the game currently has (a mere 73 for the professionals, and 78 for gamers).

Like the criticism that the game strips the player of freedom/agency, I do not think the others have merit:

I consider the script to be impeccable. I have noticed no plot holes, and very few problems with the dialogue. It is telling that David Cage took a year of 12-14-hour days to write it and that it is 2000 pages in length.

I consider Page's acting to be truly and deeply awe-inspiring. I cannot praise her highly enough. She memorized 30-40 pages of dialogue each day. She had very little time to prepare and rehearse. She often had to juggle different emotional responses to the situations (e.g., playing the part one way in a scene and playing it another way in the same scene). Yet, despite these challenges, her acting is consistently of the highest professional quality. I have noticed no flaws in her performance; it is (along with William Dafoe's performance) very much in keeping with her Academy Award for Best Actress. I consider her to be the most talented actress I've seen.

I also think that the myriad ad hominem attacks against David Cage seem entirely unwarranted. He does not try to impose his views on others. Rather, he is merely passionate, has a vision he believes in, and is outspoken in his beliefs. He believes that gaming can, like cinema or literature, change the world (or try to). This is not arrogant; it is noble.

Moreover, the game has other strengths that seem to be overlooked by many:

- The social commentary is entirely warranted, and appropriately biting.
    - The graphical quality of the game is the best of any on a console.
    - The story is incredibly moving and thought-provoking. The narrative was very easy for me to follow, despite the non-chronological presentation.
    - There is a wide range of different locales and gameplay dynamics employed.

To put it succinctly (and a little melodramatically):

For me, the game is both a reminder and illustration of the many challenges and the triumphs, the sadnesses and joys that life has to offer. For me, it's life affirming, and I consider it deep, rich and meaningful. There are almost no other games (and few movies and books, for that matter) for which I can say the same.

Take a chance: play this game.
  50. Oct 29, 2013
    this game is not perfect, ok, however, it is amazing and beautiful. The story is amazing, the graphics are superb with no FPS issues, the characters are deep, I felt all kinds of emotions while playing, it's a must buy definitely, however, the ending is out of sync with the prologue, the beginning of the game is clumsy and a bit nonsensical to start with, and the controls are a bitthis game is not perfect, ok, however, it is amazing and beautiful. The story is amazing, the graphics are superb with no FPS issues, the characters are deep, I felt all kinds of emotions while playing, it's a must buy definitely, however, the ending is out of sync with the prologue, the beginning of the game is clumsy and a bit nonsensical to start with, and the controls are a bit clunky. This, however, is one of the best gaming experiences of 2013, if this generation! Definitely a must buy, but what more would I expect from the makers of Heavy Rain? Expand
  51. Oct 12, 2013
    A game made for a more refined audience, Beyond Two Souls is an masterpiece of interactive storytelling, who's only failing is the fact that it's being played and reviewed by brainwashed, inexperienced, young "gamers" just looking for the next mindless action game. For the rest of us, who are members of the core gaming world for over 20 years now, this is one of the few games which provesA game made for a more refined audience, Beyond Two Souls is an masterpiece of interactive storytelling, who's only failing is the fact that it's being played and reviewed by brainwashed, inexperienced, young "gamers" just looking for the next mindless action game. For the rest of us, who are members of the core gaming world for over 20 years now, this is one of the few games which proves beyond the shadow of a doubt that games are an art form.
  52. Oct 14, 2013
    More of an interactive movie than a traditional game (not so surprising from Quantic Dream), but it is a very great one for that. Great characters, great acting, decent script (i was a bit confused on timeline sometimes). And a great way to really get into character instead of watching cutscenes between two fight/shooting sequence.
  53. Oct 28, 2013
    I really liked the game. Sure, it is not a "normal" game but i like the ide to watch a movie and that i am deciding the story. If you liked Heavy rain this is a Game you have to play. There is maybe one or two scenes that i didn't thought the gameplay maked sence.
  54. Dec 7, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a very unique game, the graphics and facial design are quite impressive. The gameplay really puts you in the game and what is annoying at first becomes really fun. This game really focuses on story and gameplay instead of multiplayer and all the social crap that other games use. Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe and the rest of the voice actors where great at deliveringBeyond: Two Souls is a very unique game, the graphics and facial design are quite impressive. The gameplay really puts you in the game and what is annoying at first becomes really fun. This game really focuses on story and gameplay instead of multiplayer and all the social crap that other games use. Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe and the rest of the voice actors where great at delivering outstanding performances, some of my favorite characters where Jodie, Stan, Tuesday(Elisa), Ryan, Nathan, Walter, Jimmy, Cole, an obviously Aiden. Beyond: Two Souls has a really immersive world and was fun to get the platinum after four playthroughs. Overall Score= 83/100 Expand
  55. Oct 11, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a beautifully made game. The graphics are phenomenal, as well as the cast and acting. If you want to be blown away by graphics, this game is for you. If you want to be blown away by awesome storytelling, this game is also for you. But if you're looking for epic gameplay, you might need to look elsewhere. This game is very storyline driven, and more-often-than-not, IBeyond: Two Souls is a beautifully made game. The graphics are phenomenal, as well as the cast and acting. If you want to be blown away by graphics, this game is for you. If you want to be blown away by awesome storytelling, this game is also for you. But if you're looking for epic gameplay, you might need to look elsewhere. This game is very storyline driven, and more-often-than-not, I felt more like an audience to a movie, rather than a gamer. Still worth purchasing however, because this game will take your breath away! Expand
  56. Oct 12, 2013
    Heavily underrated. This is not a game...this is an experience, and one you don't want to miss out on. I was hooked the moment I started playing the demo. You can feel the hard work and passion that the creators of Beyond placed into this game. Don't let the mass of negative reviews dissuade you from playing this, you will not regret it.
  57. Oct 13, 2013
    Awesome game,Not for everybody.
    If you like an excellent story, great graphics and a superb music go for it.
    It combines action,horror,comedy,drama all tangled in a cinematic experience. This is the closest a video-game and a movie have ever been. Not recommended for those who are shooter's fans neither for classic Rpg's players who don't like trying new and very experimental things.
    Awesome game,Not for everybody.
    If you like an excellent story, great graphics and a superb music go for it.
    It combines action,horror,comedy,drama all tangled in a cinematic experience.
    This is the closest a video-game and a movie have ever been.
    I"m not giving it a perfect score only for the lack of challenge.
  58. Oct 13, 2013
    Very touching game with astonishing graphics. It takes some time in the beginning to be involved into the plot, but then it's very hard to stop playing until the final credits. Along with the Last of Us and GTA 5 it is the best game of the year so far, still waiting for the Watch Dogs.
  59. Oct 14, 2013
    It seems to me an essential game for gamers of heart, reminds me a lot to Heavy Rain, which is a good thing since that game i thought it was great and very innovative. I hope that some day you play because you will have a very pleasant experience and very beautiful. Good work for Quantic Dream.
  60. Oct 18, 2013
    Don't think twice. Buy this game. If you seek thick emotional plot, you loved Heavy Rain gameplay, and want something different from the generic war games out in the market, this game is for you.

This will appeal to men and women alike. My boyfriend and I enjoyed the co-op option together. I am also a fan of multiple endings. I like to know that my decisions will affect the

I am also a fan of multiple endings. I like to know that my decisions will affect the storyline, and it definitely does.
  61. Oct 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A Quantic dream mostra um pouco do que será na próxima geração com Beyond Two Souls. Uma trama muito bem elaborada e envolvente, com jogabilidade inovadora junto com gráficos maravilhosos resume bem o game. Superando seu antecessor espiritual, Heavy rain. Se comparado com Heavy rain, ta bem mais linear. Mas isso isso pode ser esquecido com o enredo fantástico, trilha sonora, jogabilidade melhor que a do seu antecessor e a ação muito bem aproveitada. Sem dúvidas Beyond Two souls uma obra prima feita pela Quantic dream que merece bastante atenção. Expand
  62. Oct 19, 2013
    Personally I love this game! Its re-playable if you want to change your actions to see what happens different and affects the story. Some chapters are a little short and has a few miner bugs, but other then that its great and the story is interesting and graphics are amazing!
  63. Oct 24, 2013
    sick of these retards saying that this isent a game, its a movie. what the did you expect??? its made by the same people who made heavy rain!!! this game is beautiful and enjoying! love the graphics, and story. like how you connect with the main character along the way
  64. Oct 28, 2013
    super game &GFx
    mooieste game dat ooit op e ps3 is geweest net iets teveel bugs in de game maar voor de reste zooo cool
    voor mij persoonlijk de game of the yaer kijk er al naar uit om hun nieuwste spel om de nieuw console te kunnen spelen
  65. Oct 28, 2013
    I "beat" the game the other day. "Beat" is a lose term here because this game offers almost nothing to beat. Visually appealing? Hell yes. Challenging? Hell no. I played Heavy Rain and while it wasn't my favorite game I loved how involved it made me feel. I felt like every choice made was going to screw me over so the game really engaged me. That never happens in Beyond. The choices youI "beat" the game the other day. "Beat" is a lose term here because this game offers almost nothing to beat. Visually appealing? Hell yes. Challenging? Hell no. I played Heavy Rain and while it wasn't my favorite game I loved how involved it made me feel. I felt like every choice made was going to screw me over so the game really engaged me. That never happens in Beyond. The choices you have to make don't really effect the narrative because the game is already told in a non-linear order. So any choices you make won't matter. The only freedom of choice you have is toward the end of the game. But by then I was so disconnected I couldn't care less what happened. This game had potential though. If it were told In chronological order and it took us on a journey through Jodie's life, it would have been amazing. Because the premise is there, just not the gameplay. Playing as Aiden has its ups and downs. I don't understand why I can only kill and possess certain people. If these parts of the game were open ended, letting you decide how to take care of enemies, I would have loved it. That just points to what I said earlier about the game playing it self with almost no input required from the user other than find the white dots and trigger cut scene after cut scene. I hope Quantic Dream keeps making games like this though. Its unique yes, but its not a good game. The only things keeping this game above a 5 are Ellen Page's performance, and the visuals. 6.4/10 Expand
  66. Oct 30, 2013
    This game is not for everyone so i won't say buy it, but i will say try and play it.

It is very difficult to review i can appropriate the effort that went into this game, the game its self is an amazing intense story that will get you hooked, yes its like an interactive movie, but yet so much more, but it will not be everyone's cupa tea. My suggestions if your unsure, would be to wait until it gets cheaper then buy it.

Its so hard to put this in to a particular genre, as you do many things throughout the game. action adventure, thriller, spiritual,drama. Its a game that makes you think about life, and whats out there.. Its a great gaming/watching experience, one that most should play and hopefully appreciate its beauty.
  67. Nov 7, 2013
    Best story-telling ever seen in a Video game, Graphics are excellent and you feel every moment with Jodie Holmes.
    It's not only a movie, as i thought on the beginning, there are many moments in which you choose decisions which aren't that good, but the feeling to protect Jodie is just bigger.
    Awesome Game, must play title of 2013
  68. Dec 7, 2013
    Very great game except for the storyline's evolution. As it happened with Fahrenheit, the game gets you from the very beginning, but as it goes on it loses its charm. Very predictable plot (at least for me), and incongruous endings with the storyline. They left a lot of unloose ends.
    Excellent gameplay as happened with Heavy Rain, with the addition this title allows a cooperative game.
  69. Nov 16, 2013
    An amazing game, really plays a lot with your emotion from start to the end a wonderful soundtrack that fits a beautiful story QD you did it again a great masterpiece not for the average gamer.
  70. Nov 19, 2013
    Coming from an Xbox 360 i have had for the past five years i have decided to get a ps3 and the first game i buy (beyond two soul) is the best game i have ever played with stunning graphics and wonderful story is by far the best
  71. Nov 21, 2013
    The unique thing we lack in their lives. What is unique for all was Heavy Rain, the same expected from Beyond: Two Souls. The same as from the dark detective about the harsh everyday life of crime. And it's a fantastic story about the spirit world. Just a way to control the environment like Heavy rain, even though more than Fahrenheit. We have a fully interactive interesting story behindThe unique thing we lack in their lives. What is unique for all was Heavy Rain, the same expected from Beyond: Two Souls. The same as from the dark detective about the harsh everyday life of crime. And it's a fantastic story about the spirit world. Just a way to control the environment like Heavy rain, even though more than Fahrenheit. We have a fully interactive interesting story behind which is not a sin to sit on the weekend with a good company, and everyone will be interested to know what would have happened if he went for another verge? Expand
  72. Nov 21, 2013
    Good game and amazing graphics, but I was a bit taken aback by Jodie's weak and frailty even though she was trained by the C.I.A- she shouldn't be so damned sissy like. All in all, great game.
  73. Dec 2, 2013
    Beyond two souls is an amazing ps3 esclusive one the best games i've ever player in in this generation First of all I want to congratulate ellen page that has done a fantastic job to say the least and makes you empathize even more in the game the game has a super soundtrack and graphics the plot is full of twists and turns ,of course cage and quantic dreams must improve a little bitBeyond two souls is an amazing ps3 esclusive one the best games i've ever player in in this generation First of all I want to congratulate ellen page that has done a fantastic job to say the least and makes you empathize even more in the game the game has a super soundtrack and graphics the plot is full of twists and turns ,of course cage and quantic dreams must improve a little bit the gameplay but i'm confident for the future works .

Heavy rain is a great experience that that will live long in your hearts thanks ellen page and quantic dream .

ps The rewiews media doesn't do justice to this awesome game Sometimes i wonder if the rewiewer really finish the game before making an article on it
  74. Dec 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing game it feels like you're playing a movie and the player really begins to connect with jodie, it also is quite fun to make some trouble with aiden like on the point where you have to throw of some cops in a town while they have surrounded jodie Expand
  75. Dec 6, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll admit the graphics are nice and the voice acting is good, while the animations are fair. Though these are the only three 'okay' things about Beyond: Two Souls. And that's just because this is not a good game. I am aware the memories are scrambled for a reason, but the jumbled memory structure just doesn't work well for this game. You go from helping a homeless woman deliver her baby to being involved with spirits in the Navajo desert. It makes me believe that the writers just had a bunch of cool ideas and then just mixed them together and the result was a mess. The story is quite lackluster, the game is quite painful to complete, and I will ignore the lack of gameplay as I don't mind the little gameplay there is, seeing as I think Heavy Rain is a great game. Beyond though, is not. Though there are some interesting environments, and the game sounds good on paper, the execution is poor. All in all, this is a sub-par game. Expand
  76. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beyond: Two Souls is a very uneven package, with some moments of real tearjerkers or edge-of-my-seat drama and other portions that seem like they were made for a different game entirely and in a very bad way. The plot itself is not horrible as a whole but the constant swinging back and forth between past and present make it more of a hassle to just figure out what is happening then it should be. Several times it was actually counterproductive, with some major story moments spoiled before swinging back to what lead up to it.

(WARNING: Some spoilers will be given from her on)

On the gameplay side there are two very distinct sections, the sections involving exploration (which dominate the first half of the game) and the sections involving infiltration/stealth (which dominate the second half). The exploration is interesting, especially with the introduction of apparition called Aiden. Similar to games like Heavy Rain, interacting with the world as Jodie can be both interesting from the conversations it sparks or tedious if its just busy work. The most interesting parts involve Aiden, the proxy that follows the main character around can do many typical "ghost" action from moving objects at will to scare other or to just assist Jodie to more aggressive actions like strangling or possessions (the latter used mostly for the other sections). While the mechanics can be unwieldy to use at times, these areas are usually open and detailed enough to make you feel it's worth investigating. The other sections involve Jodie and Aiden trying to sneak by or take out people. These sections feel more in tune with a Metal Gear or Splinter Cell title as they require using cover to remain out of sight and using Aiden to distract or take out select enemies. Aiden can even possess some people and use them to open a locked door, kill a comrade or even kill themselves (there are some pretty disturbing scenes). The bulk of gameplay shifts between these two sections and the change in tone is palpable, though you never feel in any real danger during "stealth." Even failure seems to be easily remedied with QTE fight scenes and failing that Aiden will simply choke out the attacker before the killing blow (begging the question why Aiden didn't intervene sooner).

But just like Heavy Rain, the Action is only a side dish to the Story and here is where we dig into Beyond: Two Souls. The story focuses on Jodie, a girl who has a mysterious "imaginary friend" named Aiden that has been tied to her for as long as she can remember, through the trials of her life. Following her traumatic childhood is gripping and her relationship with Nathan Dawkins is one of the most compelling aspects of the game. The story itself follows a non-linear format, which is a euphemistic way of saying it lurches back and forth through time with every new plot point. This is intriguing in the beginning as the player is dumped into strange situations with no context and must try to piece together the pieces of what is happening and just who Jodie and Aiden are. However, this quickly gets confusing and a lack of set-up or proper buildup to a situation make it seem completely out-of-nowhere. An example of this: one sequence has Jodie joining the CIA and training with them before cutting to her sleeping on a train before being hunted by local sheriffs with no reason given. In hindsight and with the entire plot revealed it does make more sense but in the moment it all seems more over-the-top and nonsensical than intriguing, which It felt it was trying to do. Poor execution hounds the story's latter half and drags the plot down, with dramatic scenes seeming heavy-handed and forced because of the lack of flow between scenes.

Things come to a head by the end and I won't go into details suffice to say it it stuffed full of cliches and heavy-handed scenes that come one after another so that it all just make it all seem less serious than it want to be. Personal choices have less of an effect on the ending but do color the ending somewhat which is not a bad thing, its just that the execution falls flat in far too many places for it to seem like it was the only option that could be given. The strong feelings felt during Jodie's childhood are found only sporadically by the end (anything to do with Dawkins and Jodie remain moments of brilliant drama) replaced by filler sections tie up loose ends.

There is a good game and a compelling story underneath this game, its just that the way that it's shown is confusing and by the end has devolved into using cliches.
  77. Oct 8, 2013
    Played this with my Girlfriend (Me playing Aiden, she Jodie) and we loved it to the very end. Amazing story, characters and graphics. This game don't need good gameplay to be good. Masterpiece!
  78. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond two souls is an incredible gaming experience the story is a well driven emotional rollercoaster. Once again quantic dream delivered a brilliant and incredible game. They deliver a game which has an outstanding story supported by a brilliant cast Ellen Page did an incredible job as Jodie Holmes. The graphics is mind blowing the detail is incredible. The controls is easy to adapt to.Beyond two souls is an incredible gaming experience the story is a well driven emotional rollercoaster. Once again quantic dream delivered a brilliant and incredible game. They deliver a game which has an outstanding story supported by a brilliant cast Ellen Page did an incredible job as Jodie Holmes. The graphics is mind blowing the detail is incredible. The controls is easy to adapt to. This has to be one of the greatest games I have ever played and one of the best games of 2013. Simply ignore the bad reviews those people don't know what a good game is about. Beyond two souls was a great expierence if u loved heavy rain then beyond two souls is for u. This is a must have game for every die hard gamer of a PS3. Expand
  79. Oct 8, 2013
    One of the best games of the year for sure. If you're even mildly interested in this game I strongly recommend that you pick up a copy. I'm about three quarters of the way through and I just don't want to put it down. There's a lot of replay ability as well because of the co-op mode. Amazing game!
  80. Oct 8, 2013
    Too many trolls making an account just to review this game and give it a 0.
    Why would you review a game you haven't played or probably will never play if you know what i mean.
    Too many trolls making an account just to review this game and give it a 0.
    Overall if you enjoyed Heavy Rain,this game is a must by. It has excellent sountracks like HR and the graphics are top notch.i dn't want to spoil the story but it has lots of endings.This game wasn't made for everyone in the end,so if you dn't like it then dn't buy it from the beginning
  81. Oct 9, 2013
    Good graphics for a ps3 game,good story but no real decision making which makes the game suffer very much.Also the price point is too high for a interactive novel that with downgraded graphics would do a excellent ios/android game.
  82. Oct 8, 2013
    This is the new way to tell a story in the future. Videogames aren't only FPS and action, videogames are the new way to create profound content. Beyond Two Souls is magnificent.
  83. Oct 8, 2013
    A great game with a share of drama and a touch of mysticism. The gameplay is very interesting from the point of view of interaction between two characters,the game itself has a number of ways of development of the plot,natural variability, not so many as in heavy Rain,but it does not make the game worse.In conclusion to all I want to say that the game was a success and I don't understandA great game with a share of drama and a touch of mysticism. The gameplay is very interesting from the point of view of interaction between two characters,the game itself has a number of ways of development of the plot,natural variability, not so many as in heavy Rain,but it does not make the game worse.In conclusion to all I want to say that the game was a success and I don't understand who she might not like it one of the best games of the year 10/10 Expand
  84. Oct 11, 2013
    Awesome story, graphics, acting, and soundtrack. A trully nice experience which will make you think of all the journey you have been through while playing the game. Few games have such a capacity to move the player; and this is one of them
  85. Oct 18, 2013
    Wow this game is absolutely amazing. This isn't a typical game, its an interactive movie/game in the same category as heavy rain. The graphics are beautiful minus an occasional texture pop ins and outs. The voice acting is great thanks to Ellen page and Willem Defoe bringing their A game. The story is engaging and it kept my interest the entire time. This is true originality when it comesWow this game is absolutely amazing. This isn't a typical game, its an interactive movie/game in the same category as heavy rain. The graphics are beautiful minus an occasional texture pop ins and outs. The voice acting is great thanks to Ellen page and Willem Defoe bringing their A game. The story is engaging and it kept my interest the entire time. This is true originality when it comes to games. Something that's been lacking these days when all companies want to do is push out half assed sequels to mediocre fps or sports games. This game is a definite must buy if you love heavy rain or just want to experience something fresh and wonderful with a good narrative and character's Expand
  86. Oct 10, 2013
    Graphics are fantastic and sometimes you forget it's a game, everything looks so real and attention to details is amazing. Story starts out just great and really intriguing. That is for the first 4-5 hours or so. And then plot collapses on itself, plot holes grow in numbers in every scene. It's just sad that Cage is not a writer but continues to try and inevitably fails every time. EveryGraphics are fantastic and sometimes you forget it's a game, everything looks so real and attention to details is amazing. Story starts out just great and really intriguing. That is for the first 4-5 hours or so. And then plot collapses on itself, plot holes grow in numbers in every scene. It's just sad that Cage is not a writer but continues to try and inevitably fails every time. Every story he writes sacrifices compelling story for the sake of plot twist. Every time he tries to surprise player and screw ups his characters (that are without their flaws in the first place), destroys story, creates dozens of plot holes along the way and ultimately the game itself suffers. It happened with Indigo Prophecy, it happened with Heavy Rain (not so much though) and it absolutely destroyed that game. It's a pity he can't just give his story for read proof or something to the actual writers.
    This was a decent game in first couple of hours, I would've given it 8 or 9.
    Then it kinda went off, action scenes are unnecessary and boring, with broken controls, you start to notice some plot holes and dumb characters decisions, and it might deserve 5-6.
    But then the ending comes and oh my god that is terrible. Last scenes are just pathetic. You watch it like a TV movie, it's so bad, it's characters are laughable (like CIA general, it's like he is from looney tunes or something, he is so evil and nasty and just cartoon villain), it's like ending was done in 1 week by a bunch of 8 years old. Who wrote that stuff? It's really bad even for FPS action shoot-em-up game. For a game that focuses on the plot it's atrocious! The ending is for 1-2 score AT MOST.

So it combines to 4-5 for me, but given the pretty graphics and nice technological achivement I'm giving this game 5 out 10. The ending ruined this game. Everything that happens at CIA building is just awful and people that are responsible for it should not try to write anything at all.
  87. Oct 20, 2013
    I really enjoyed the story line of this game more than any game I can remember in recent history. I mean, I seriously cried at a few of the cut scenes. I actually wish I could go back and play it again for the first time because each new piece of the 'timeline' was just so enthralling for me and I couldn't wait to see what happened next... or before. Great game.
  88. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. L'ho appena finito e lo trovo un titolo unico e originale! graficamente strabiliante.. anche se in certi punti negli scenari si vede la differenza con i personaggi ancora meglio definiti. Il sonoro di Zimer.. e questo nome dice tutto! la storia l'ho trovata stupenda. di rado di mi capita di emozionarmi e commuovere, e questo gioco c'è riuscito in molti punti. Il gameplay più sciolto e i quake time sono meglio caratterizzati rispetto a Heavy Rain, e questo gioco a mio parere un gradino sopra al precedente titolo Quantic Dream! con questo concludo con un 10 pieno.. per uno dei giochi più originale e toccanti degli ultimi anni! Expand
  89. Nov 3, 2013
    Bad as a videogame and bad as a movie, David Cage does not deserve so much attention. And there is not even the illusion off choice like in Fahrenheit or Heavy rain.
    At least those to tried to make you feel like your decisions could change something.
  90. Feb 2, 2014
    Do you want to play a game where you pack a bag for a level, push left or right to roll in bed and then push two buttons to put your feet on the floor. then this is the game for you. You can push wrong buttons all the way through and still complete. Have powers that can go through walls 10 feet away but not 1mm away. Walk in only one direction, your decissions don't matter charaters forgetDo you want to play a game where you pack a bag for a level, push left or right to roll in bed and then push two buttons to put your feet on the floor. then this is the game for you. You can push wrong buttons all the way through and still complete. Have powers that can go through walls 10 feet away but not 1mm away. Walk in only one direction, your decissions don't matter charaters forget later. Take over peoples bodies but only certain ones. This game is completely about the smug Actors (Ellen Page and William Defoe) and just like there movies over hyped and very disapointing. Expand
  91. Oct 15, 2013
    Very emotional game. I have a best experience with interractive movie with my friends. Estimates stupid and listen to the opinions of others, instead of his an idiotic action.
  92. Oct 9, 2013
    Giving it 0 to 4 is just plain rude or braindead. And calling it cliche is weird. This game sure has some haters, don't know if its lack of knowledge about what kind of game it is or they have to constantly touch their joysticks, no pun intended. The People that rate it 0-4 you suck. And stop Hating with sentences like: The gameplay is linear, its Like watching a Movie, the graphics areGiving it 0 to 4 is just plain rude or braindead. And calling it cliche is weird. This game sure has some haters, don't know if its lack of knowledge about what kind of game it is or they have to constantly touch their joysticks, no pun intended. The People that rate it 0-4 you suck. And stop Hating with sentences like: The gameplay is linear, its Like watching a Movie, the graphics are outdated, i dont Like willem dafoe. You are like little picky kids Expand
  93. Oct 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Das Spiel ist einfach klasse! Emotional und mitreißend! Dazu eine wunderbare PS3 Grafik wohl mit abstand das schönste PS3 Spiel. Die Spielzeit ist in ordnung habe ca 12-14 Stunden gebracht,
    Musikalisch klasse.

Bin sehr zufrieden und danke QD für dieses Meisterwerk.
  94. Oct 9, 2013
    Positive:Graphics even better than crysis3 pc version overall especially the characters,cloth...
    facial emotions/technology is amazing!,music is pretty good,Aiden.Page,Dafoe Story is pretty interesting.
    Hungarian language! little jodie/homless/broken chapter! was my favorite the homless people was so friendly to jodie its like jodie real friends/parents.And the little jodie was veeeery cute i loved her.
    Negative:Something is very forced in the game, even if you doing the missions "differently" the outcome is pretty same or a little change. Romance plots is forced its prety ugly for me im a guy so i don't wanna watch a videogame character guys ass front of me its disgusting if i want to watch something like that i go and watch porn.Ryan is the worst charater he always "love" me even if i told him to back off and im not "love you" the story is too linear... and confusing,too short.so overall Heavy Rain was better.But still a masterpiece thats for sure!.
  95. Mar 31, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is a bloated mess. Amidst technically nice graphics and well implemented voice work, there are tons of technical issues, a disjointed, seemingly randomly confabulated narrative that revolves around the main character doing seemingly random things at different points of her life, which never really add up or pay off to anything. When the "movie like" experience you'reBeyond: Two Souls is a bloated mess. Amidst technically nice graphics and well implemented voice work, there are tons of technical issues, a disjointed, seemingly randomly confabulated narrative that revolves around the main character doing seemingly random things at different points of her life, which never really add up or pay off to anything. When the "movie like" experience you're paying to "play" (and I use that term very, very loosely) doesn't even deliver on being a well crafted story, you know that someone, somewhere royally screwed up.

The story here revolves around Jodie, played by Ellen Paige who has a special ghost-like entity named Aiden attached to her since she was a child. I'll be the first to admit that this is an interesting premise, and I'd also be willing to admit that it works well inside of Beyond, if it weren't for the game's complete and utter disregard for narrative consistency, or even making contextual sense.

Scenes pass from one to the other, and it almost turns into a bad variety show. The problem is, this isn't intended to be comedy. The game takes itself so seriously, even when it's showing Ellen Paige, ghoth'd out playing the guitar, befriending the homeless, and becoming a secret agent, that it turns into absolute comedic gold. There's no inkling of anyone crafting a well developed, fully realized narrative, here. Considering Beyond is a narrative based experience, this is inexcusable.

I can accept that it's a movie like experience. I didn't play Beyond expecting fully realized gameplay mechanics. The mechanics that are here are pointless, though. You can literally set the controller down, not respond to any of the quick time events at all, and the game will still progress regardless. I did play Beyond expecting a fully realized narrative, and I was sorely disappointed.

I realize I keep pointing back to this, but the story is the basis for this entire game. Beyond isn't about solid gameplay mechanics, interesting locales or any sense of achievement. It's about taking part in its narrative. Being a somewhat controlling factor of it. Which is all well and good, but the narrative here is so weak, that I can't recommend this title to anyone. It's certainly not a game in the traditional sense, and it certainly doesn't qualify as having a decent narrative.

It's derivative, it's pretentious, it's bloated, the exposition leads to nowhere, and simply put, it's not worth your time or money. Beyond: Two Souls has zero redeeming qualities.
  96. Oct 9, 2013
    When playing Beyond, I couldn't help but recall an interview I read with Amy Hennig in which she explained that the writing for the Uncharted games started with first developing their exciting, standout events, and then contriving links to tie them all together. The funny thing about Beyond, is that it kind of does the same thing, except A), the events aren't always exciting or memorable,When playing Beyond, I couldn't help but recall an interview I read with Amy Hennig in which she explained that the writing for the Uncharted games started with first developing their exciting, standout events, and then contriving links to tie them all together. The funny thing about Beyond, is that it kind of does the same thing, except A), the events aren't always exciting or memorable, and B), the writers didn't bother to create any links to tie the story together. Instead, Beyond is made up of a bunch of tiny scenes that merey fade in, fade out, and move on to the next. These scenes can last anywhere between 5 and 30 minutes.

During these scenes, there's a very thinly-veiled notion that you're directing the outcome of the story, much like in Telltale's The Walking Dead; however, no matter what you do, everything turns out exactly the same in the end. A perfect example of this occurs very early on in the game where you're given the opportunity to wreak havoc in an office building--at first, you’re prompted by the game to ruffle some papers and knock over some blocks, which scares someone in the room. At that point, you’re given the option to continue messing with stuff in the room, for the sole purpose of freaking this person out even more. I opted not to, because, well, it would have been mean to do so. So I just sat there, and for the next minute or so, the music continued to swell and the panicking individual continued to panic. Finally, the scene ended when some people burst into the room to relieve the main character, who was... sobbing?! Why? She ruffled some papers, and knocked over some blocks. Clearly the writers assumed that all players would go to town on everything in the room, and did not bother writing an alternative; EVERYTHING in the game is predetermined.

Worse, even the best scenes are rarely original. It’s mostly tried-and-true movie tropes designed to evoke emotional responses from the audience. The problem is that that they’e so disconnected from each other that it amounts to nothing.

In the end, Beyond is a collection of low-hanging fruit tropes, cut up nice and neat into tiny, bite-sized vignettes.
  97. Oct 13, 2013
    Heavy Rain is a top five game for me so Beyond: Two Souls was a natural must have. However, I have to say I was disappointed with the experience overall. What really does this game in is the story. I felt at times that I was playing a great game, a real five out of five, but then I got to the last quarter of the game--starting when Jodie agrees to work again with the CIA, Doh!--and theHeavy Rain is a top five game for me so Beyond: Two Souls was a natural must have. However, I have to say I was disappointed with the experience overall. What really does this game in is the story. I felt at times that I was playing a great game, a real five out of five, but then I got to the last quarter of the game--starting when Jodie agrees to work again with the CIA, Doh!--and the B movie dial is turned to full blast. Here we have a lowly scientist turned head of some ridiculously gilded defense agency; a mega gate portal to another realm--built despite disastrous results from the first such and equaling a betrayal to Jody by said scientist; laughably bad security at an arctic submarine facility which holds ANOTHER mega gate portal; a boss fight with a non-American military dude who really hates Americans (and women, which Jodie is both); and the real capper, the turning of a likeable character into a madman who would hold the souls of his wife and daughter in torment because he “loves” them too much to let them go. This last insult Cage attempts to justify in the silliest manner by showing that this man got drunk after their deaths. Well Boo-hoo. That being said, most videogame stories generally suck. Heck, Heavy Rain’s sucked, and it’s on my top five! What does that leave us? Gameplay and characterization. Let’s cover the gameplay. I was actually skeptical from the start when Quantic Dream showed us the right thumbstick only QTE’s, and for good reason. Heavy Rain’s QTE’s were awesome, but it seems like these were ditched because someone felt that seeing face buttons appear on screen was distracting. So now instead of knowing how you screwed up you’re left scratching your head--I suppose, as someone else has said already, this could have been fixed by having more than one direction registered as a successful move, or they simply could have displayed the direction they wanted me to press. The problem is that you couldn’t fit these controls to Heavy Rain because the fights in that game were more desperate and dynamic, it wasn’t simply, “Move stick toward dude during slow mo to connect punch, duck or lean back to avoid punch”. Yet you could take the button prompt QTE’s from Heavy Rain and apply them to B2S. Also, I was often frustrated because I had no idea what the designers wanted me to do in a given situation and the player is often yelled at by Jodie to get a move on--A good example: at the embassy Jodie needs to find a “Quiet place” to do something in, we don’t know what it is but standing by the fountain isn’t quiet enough. Turns out you have to find the restroom and go into a stall. Why couldn’t they just say that and, “Here, a star on your screen to show you where it is. Take your time, we won’t yell at you, explore some of the other interesting options we (didn’t) have for you”? The white dots on the screen never turn black to contrast with their environments and doing actions like healing and mind reading are a pain. I can say that I really enjoyed the characters of Jodie and Aiden both and I really like who it turns out that Aiden actually is. I just wish there were more scenes where one didn’t have to call on Aiden to help out. I did relish exacting revenge on the teenagers at the party, but after that did we really need another “Party gone awry”--this time at a bar with the audacity to threaten rape? Couldn’t we just have a scene of poor Jodie enjoying a party? Oh, well, great graphics and fun to be had in spite of it all. 4 out of 5. Expand
  98. Oct 13, 2013
    Clunky character movement, forced decisions, awkward character interaction, and an ending so bad I literally sat my controller down and laughed. This isn't the masterpiece that Heavy Rain was. Not even close. This game started out great and showed a lot of promise, but the story really plummets after the Navajo section. So many moments in the story feel like they were just thrown on toClunky character movement, forced decisions, awkward character interaction, and an ending so bad I literally sat my controller down and laughed. This isn't the masterpiece that Heavy Rain was. Not even close. This game started out great and showed a lot of promise, but the story really plummets after the Navajo section. So many moments in the story feel like they were just thrown on to add time to your playthrough, and the constant traveling back and forth through the main character's chlidhood and adulthood makes it really hard to make sincere choices when given the option. Not only that, but you see just how little control you actually have. This is by far one of the worst games i've ever played. It reminds me of when I played Indigo Prophecy and had to watch the great story turn into an awkward Dragon Ball Z LARP session. Expand
  99. Oct 8, 2013
    For all of David Cage's attempts to make games into movies, why can he not write, and why are the controls so goddamn obnoxious and horrible?

This game has lovely visuals and pretty good acting performances, but GODDAMN the controls are absolutely horrendous in ways they shouldn't be. Just moving your character feels like the most disgusting thing ever due to how poor the controls are.
  100. Oct 10, 2013
    Very weak title. For a game there is basically no gameplay. For a movie, it is too slow and story not interesting. For a interactiv movie, there is not much of interactivity. (this is caused by the story structure, where you actually play the future parts before you can play the parts before them, that could affect them without linear structure the interactivity is really not working).Very weak title. For a game there is basically no gameplay. For a movie, it is too slow and story not interesting. For a interactiv movie, there is not much of interactivity. (this is caused by the story structure, where you actually play the future parts before you can play the parts before them, that could affect them without linear structure the interactivity is really not working). And as a tech-demo, there are texture pop-ups and framedrops including some short (0,5 1sec) freezes caused by the background loadings.
    I really liked the Heavy Rain. But the Beyond has basically all the bad aspect of the Heavy Rain. But unfortunately it is missing to parts that were great in Heavy Rain (interesting story and interactivity that could affect story few scenes later.)

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.