• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Aug 24, 2014
    Gráficos muito bons, e a trilha sonora ótimo ,história do jogo excelente e escolher daqui pra frente o que mudar , recomendo a todos, uma obra prima , a Quantic Dream tá de parabéns
  2. Aug 14, 2014
    This movie had potential to be a game, but failed in that department. It was an interactive story at most and the fact that it had movie-theme credits at the end shows how it was developed. Even Heavy Rain was better than this. Overall a good storyline but confusing ending(s), that seem to imply a sequel (possibly), but if that was do happen, would not play it. Would recommend watching a walkthrough before considering to get an idea of what you're getting into. Expand
  3. Jul 30, 2014
    Great history, awesome graphics, good gameplay, incredible characters but you can go make a sandwich and come back, and you still haven't died, with the game playing . It´s a good game, still.
  4. Jul 28, 2014
    I was a huge fan of Heavy Rain, so it's no surprise that I enjoyed this game as well. The aspect that blew me away (and I'm guessing one which not many people got to experience) was the co-op multiplayer. The mechanics, while simple, fit incredibly well into the narrative of the game. Co-op features one player as Jodie and the other as Aiden, completing their respective choices / sequences. While in "free" mode (exploring, etc) you can pass control to the other player, but you have to wait for them to pass it back. What left a lasting impression was that similar to how Jodie cannot control Aiden, when my partner passed control she could ask me what she wanted but it was ultimately my decision. Likewise, she made narrative choices I opposed, but in the end it solidified the "two distinct souls" aspect of the game and made the experience so much richer for me. I highly recommend grabbing a friend and playing this game together! Expand
  5. Jul 23, 2014
    A solid, well-polished AAA production. The directing and acting are on par with big Hollywood blockbuster productions. If you are a fan of David Cage's previous work, Beyond Two Souls will not dissapoint. Do not be affected by negative reviews, if you have enjoyed Heavy Rain, this will be an even better experience. It should be reviewed for what it is, and as an interactive piece of fiction and art, this is a top-notch as it can get. Cant wait for Quantic Dreams next release ! Expand
  6. Jul 19, 2014
    Невероятная игра! Думал что после Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Metal Gear Solid меня трудно будет удивить, но эта игра смогла вызвать прежнюю бурю эмоций, как и вышенаписанные игры в свое время. Как жалко что так мало подобных проектов.
  7. Jul 13, 2014
    When I started the game it was really interesting, I wanted to know more about the story but as the game goes on It gets a boring. For me the breakpoint was "Navajo", after that the game was less interesting and kinda "rushed". Also the fight sequences are annoying and unpredictable at some point, I hated those. Also the lack of goals is somewhat reasonable but it was really frustrating as well. Other than that I like the "storytelling" games but this was just "good/average". Expand
  8. Jul 11, 2014
    Executive Summary: this game fails to exceed or even meet the high bar set by one of Quantic Dream's previous games, Heavy Rain, and even fails to stand on its own merit. Even if the opportunity to play this game presents itself to you, I would recommend you don't take it.

Usually I don't feel compelled to write reviews, but I honestly thought Beyond: Two Souls was disappointing beyond
    my expectations and deserved public comment.

My expectations were high because I enjoyed Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain so immensely -- innovative control style, great graphics, and compelling gameplay. I expected the follow-on would present other new innovations in addition to high quality gameplay and a new story. Oh how wrong I was.

The control style, while being similar to Heavy Rain, seemed dumbed down and simplified. Gone are the days of feeling like my button press was somehow important or relevant to the on screen action. For this game, most button presses function merely as acknowledgement that you're ready to progress with the story. Boring.

The gameplay was tame. I spent a lot more time opening doors, packing bags, and tossing/turning in bed than I would care to. I occasionally, during the game, would think fondly of the relatively exciting time I normally have at my desk job. Sad.

The story was poor, uninteresting, and unoriginal. The concept was original-ish and okay, but the story and the writing to convey the concept was boilerplate, mediocre at best. So many clichés, plot holes, unresolved questions, impersonal story arcs, etc etc etc. I'd say 90% of the story felt like filler, leaving me with an incessant feeling of incompleteness and dissatisfaction.

The story telling mechanic -- involving shifting around chronologically -- seemed pointless and disjointed. I appreciate the idea of playing with time when telling a story, but it was very poorly designed for this story.

The only element of the game I really liked was the graphics. But of course, this was the element that took the least amount of work, given that they had already produced a game with graphics of this caliber. Unfortunately, it takes more than good graphics to make a good game. Sorry, Quantic Dream.
  9. Jul 5, 2014
    I you played Heavy Rain and liked it only a little bit, I suggest you to rent Beyond: Two Souls first. I bought the game and finished it in three sessions (took around 12 hours, I guess). I think the game is at least three hours too long. Without spoiling farther than the trailers, I think all the Special Forces missions are irrelevant and boring.

The chapters are presented in a mixed
    order. You'll end up playing scenes at the age of 9 after some at 20-something, going back to 15 y.o., etc.. At some point, the whole chronology became unclear to me and I thought the introduction sequence would be the last scene.

Seriously, what I'm trying to say is that the story AND the storytelling are a mess. It's an experiment, but as Kotaku wrote, "You'll probably dislike Beyond: Two Souls if you wish Heavy Rain had been more experimental, not less." I feel like the military sequences and and the Special Forces storyline were pushed only for marketing purposes.

Nah... I can't believe I spent bucks and time on this game. I'll never buy a QuanticDream game without renting it first again...
  10. Jun 30, 2014
    An amazing game. I'm not sure why it didn't get the praise of Heavy Rain, but it was an incredible experience. The story was interesting, and well told, though due to the nature of cutting between memories, the order of events can be rough to piece together. Despite the names of each memories being shown in a timeline, it's easy to forget which memory is which and everything than happened at the time.

The motion capture and acting is unbelievable, and only wish such technology could used used in such an effective way for a survival horror (Last Of Us is not that).

So to start with the good: the action is amazing, the slower parts are engrossing, and the element of choice is so strong, every decision is second guessed. I won't have time to play every type of decision and ending again, but like with Heavy Rain, I'll always intend to replay again in the future if I ever find the time.
    There is a lot of variety in this game, Some levels seem so different and unrelated to the main story arc, that it's easy to lose track of the direction of the main plot. Also the visual styles between different levels are so different that it feels like every type of terrain or weather has been exhausted within this game.
    The main characters are interesting, with emotional depth, and full of soul (pun intended), that only could've come from such amazing actors and motion capture artists.
    Obviously Cage is a director and writer unlike any other, and his games/art are worthy of all the praise they receive and more.
    The visuals and atmosphere of the game are incredible, and this is definitely a game that's hard to put down.
    The fluidity of the story upon making a game-changing decision is a triumph, and despite the slightly jarring nature of jumping between memories in time, every change feels like it has a big impact, and there's nothing that feels "this decision would've brought out the same outcome".

However I do need to raise the negative points. Aside from the briefly mentioned jarring nature of jumping around in time, my biggest issue with this game was controls. I'm a huge fan of the unique and interactive nature of the gesture controls that David Cage's games use, especially on the PS3. Heavy Rain had a brilliant tutorial introduction level, and I don't recall ever having issues understanding what needed to be pressed during a scene. Fahrenheit was also pretty simple to grasp the controls of. However I really found myself struggling at times with Beyond Two Souls. Most of the time, all that exists to indicate an interactive element is a dot, and while usually it stands out well, and is easy to trigger, I found anything that even resembled a white dot (reflection of light, a bump on an object, etc) caused me to waste time trying to interact with it. Also the dot element changed in functionality at random times. The single white dot usually just meant I needed to swing the right stick towards the dot to interact, but whenever I saw a blue dot, I found myself getting a little confused. A blue dot means you need to lock on with L1, which is fine, but then this produces 2 more dots. Sometimes you are expected to bring the two dots together, sometimes apart from each other, sometimes over different characters, sometimes together onto a certain point against resistance, and sometimes to push the dots together, away from the blue dot. Then even this differs, in some cases you must push the two white dots towards the blue dot and let go, sometimes away from the blue dot, and hold, and sometimes away from the blue dot, and fling back forward, and then I also found there were times I was expected to bring away from the blue dot together, but then let go, sort of like releasing a stretched elastic band.

While all these movements are achievable, and fine, the indication of which to do where is not clear, and a lot of time there is a time limit where if you don't choose the correct interaction, your game will change completely, with the story changing for the negative.
    I found myself redoing a certain desert-based missions multiple times simply because the game refused to accept what I was trying to do, only because it wasn't clear what my options were.
    I found this incredibly frustrating, and this is a regular type of interaction that becomes infuriating during the time-sensitive moments.

Also,there are times where the game will give you an option "say nothing, do nothing" which you physically have to choose, but then other times you simply have to do nothing and wait a minute for the choice to be made. This can really break gameplay as instead of being drawn into the emotion of the moment, you're trying to figure out what options you actually have available to you. If there was a little more consistency it'd have been appreciated. I understand it was to make the game not too repetitive, but it ended up just being a source of frustration.

Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and hope to replay.
  11. Jun 27, 2014
    This game is Beyond awful. First off, I hate David Cage. I just hate what he does. But I hate this "game" for even more reasons. First off, this game just jumps around the timeline for no reason whatsoever. The "gameplay" is atrocious, because it's just quick time events. There's a lot of times in the game where you're supposed to do something. If you don't, the game will carry on like you did. Like at the beginning. When you're having tests run on your ability, there's a woman. You have to see what card she picks. But, it doesn't matter which one you choose. And just after that, when you're supposed to knock everything around the room she's in. If you don't she's still traumatized. In combat sequences, if you didn't pick "I Rarely (or never) Play Video Games" as your difficulty, at least it makes sense. If you choose the alternative, it's confusing. There's a white dot on the screen, and you're supposed to either move the stick towards, or away from it. So, if someone's punching you, you might think "Do I block it, or dodge it?". Well, you have to guess, unless you pucked the easy difficulty. So, that's it. A couple reasons this game is 100% terrible. Expand
  12. Jun 25, 2014
    The controls are not the best, but the story and characters are really good. If you want a mature game without steroids guys and big guns this is for you.
  13. Jun 25, 2014
    Let me start out first by saying that I was very late playing this game. I got a PS3 and Ps4 all just this year because i was in a 360 craze.
    I hated this game. The graphics were nice yes. But unless you like playing a movie then this game isnt for you. So much drama and no action. I fought a couple ugly zombie things or whatever - other than that it was very eventful. I dont understand
    the obsession. And no, im not one of those call of duty players - i like adventure, rpg games. This one was too corny for me. Expand
  14. Jun 21, 2014
    A misunderstood experience. I looks stunning, sounds stunning and plays, very, very well. It's not perfect and it is more of an interactive movie than a video game but it is still worth while. Beyond has a very intriguing story, it's well told and I appreciated the way it was told. I liked Heavy Rain more but this is still excellent. 8/10
  15. Jun 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok honestly this game is being heavily overrated by fans and i'm suprised there are so many 10/10s.

Beyond two souls has great graphics that improve over quantic dreams previous game, heavy rain. The voice acting is also done better with at least Jodie being a well developed character. That's where i think it ends. Comparing to heavy rain the combat is worse being to confusing and often you wont know what to do. It doesn't matter however if you don't get all of the moves right( you can literally put the controller on your lap and still win), using Aiden is extremely linear and gets old fast, The stealth section was absolutely terrible. The one stealth mission in the game is scripted so you don't have choice at how you can do the mission, it's all scripted which is not how you do stealth. Choices don't have consequences and alot of the levels in the game do not have anything to do with the overall plot, making the game have too much filler. All characters besides Jodie are executed poorly. William Dafoe's character forcefully goes through changes which comes out of no where and some people suddenly go from being an **** to being nice and friendly, literally out of no where. The main story is good but only a quarter of the missions in the game actually connect to the overall plot which is painful to go through all the other useless missions. The game is just too linear in most aspects. You cannot change the outcome of future events because the game does not go in order, you play back and for between adult Jodie and kid Jodie and she cannot die no matter what. Aiden like i said is also too linear. Some enemies you can kill and some you can only mind control or can't even touch at all with no explanation. There is too much action in the game and it feels boring because of the terrible controls and the fact that it really wont matter in the final outcome. Another reason why the action sucks is because Aiden can protect jodie at all times with his magic so when shes in trouble we always know that Aiden can use his powers to create a force field or choke them to death making me want to skip the action entirely.

Overall Beyond Two Souls is too linear with a linear story that has very few and small consequences, unlike heavy rain. it has linear and boring gameplay and a story full of filler with a ton of boring characters that are forcefully done except Jodie. The game has taken a step back from heavy rain in story and gameplay with only an increase in things such as voice acting and the graphics. Hopefully quantic dreams next game can have less action and be more like heavy rain or farenheit.

5/10-Worth a rental. Do not buy this game, it is not worth its price tag and is lacking in overall content.
  16. Jun 13, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is at its best a two-star interactive movie. If you were expecting a game like Heavy Rain, you would be dead wrong. The game gives little to no control to the player during gameplay. Some good descriptions for this game would be "Walking Simulator" or "The QTE Game." The narrative miserably tries to persuade that you have some control over the story several times and when you try to do something different and dramatic, the game just goes "NOPE, you can't do that!" The story itself is super fragmented and doesn't seem to have any single point, goal, theme or anything. Audiovisually, this game really is impressive, the voice acting's great, the faces look amazing, etc. etc. But the actual gameplay isn't worth your money. Expand
  17. Jun 9, 2014
    Beyond es un juego con gran trama y buenas ideas. La cosa parece que va a dar bastante más de si pero al final las decisiones son limitadas y sólo queda disfrutar de la brillante historia y el espectacular apartado gráfico. En cualquier caso mejora la excesiva rigidez de heavy rain pero le sigue faltando camino.
  18. Jun 7, 2014
    The graphics are nothing to complain about and the story has some lags where I lose interest. Some things I don't like Limited Gameplay as Jodie. The walking controls for Jodie aren't great. Playing as Aiden was fun for a short time but it quickly gets boring. And when you play as Jodie (should of picked another name for her considering the Jodie murder trials) there is VERY little you can do with her so you mostly play as Aiden like I said before gets boring really quick. I couldn't finish the game because I quickly lost interest. Expand
  19. Jun 7, 2014
    The ONLY reason that i did not rate it a 10 is because the game does not feel like a game. It was more like a movie. It should be balanced or at least 60% game 40% movie but instead it was more like 30% game 70% movie. The rest is awesome.
  20. Jun 1, 2014
    After playing Beyond Two Souls for hours and completing the story, I can honestly say that this is arguably one of my favorite games of all time. The combat is so smooth and the story was very well done. All respect to David Cage.
  21. May 23, 2014
    lets start with the negatives and just get them out of the way. because this game was the follow up to heavy rain, we all expected that our choices would have a tremendous role in the story and the ending, unfortunately that is not the case, you do get to make decisions that have immediate effects at the moment, but does change the story at all, huge bummer and a real let down. second negative, some scenes are quite boring and could care less about. now here is everything great about the game, the story is pretty damn good, and very original. the voice acting is some of the best I've ever heard in a game before, and if you don't already know its because the main characters in the game are voiced by ellen page and Wilhelm Dafoe (don't know if I spelt that right) very talented actors. I said that some scenes are boring but the majority of the scenes are so amazing and a lot of them are surprisingly relatable. one thing I think this game did better than heavy rain at was capturing the emotion of the protagonist, now to be fair, heavy rain had four characters that the developers had to focus on while this time around they had one, so it should be expected. I can not say this game is amazing because of the amount of flaws present, but when the game gets it right, it is so emotional and gripping that is so memorable it will make you question your view of life, it is spectacular and makes up for so much more than what people are giving this game credit for. I don't think of this game as a disappointment at all, it is a totally different game than heavy rain, which I think where most of its negativity comes from. you cant compare the two games because they are in reality very different and unique from each other although the gameplay is the similar. and one more, the ending is amazing (in my opinion) despite that it cant really be changed, it is the most thought provoking scene I have ever seen, it kept me thinking for days to come. the ending truly shows how games now a days can actually be considered art Expand
  22. May 22, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is very a very disappointing follow-up to Heavy Rain. The story this time around is a cluttered mess, the gameplay is not as compelling, and the characters are boring. You know you're game is in trouble when the best part is the musical score.
  23. May 22, 2014
    When I saw the beyond two souls trailer I actually got pretty excited, I like stealth games and it seemed to play like a splinter cell with a super natural element, but then I saw his name, David Cage. From that moment on wards I knew it would be full of quick time events and have a 2 year old excuse of a story, aka heavy rain or just be the definition of bad, aka Two Worlds, and you know what, I was absolutely RIGHT. Not for one of those factors but for both of them.

OK I’ll will start with the good for once. The presentation and acting is an improvement from Heavy Rain but that's not saying much (just to avoid hate I don’t think heavy rain is BAD it is ok). That's it that is the only good I can find in this game. The first thing you will notice is that this movie sorry I meant “game” is trying so hard to be a movie, David Cage has this strange obsession with bringing the cinematic experience to the game industry, one has to be VERY careful with this otherwise you get a game that's actually a movie. Beyond has fell for this trap, everything thing is done for you, the game play and action is nothing but quick time events and moral choices that have no effect on the story what so ever and most of the time make no sense.

Let’s talk about the combat, what combat? When you're about to be hit jerk the joystick in that direction and you win. You're fellow ghost friend is a nice idea but he actually removes the fun for two reasons. One, when you kill enemy's the game decides what you can or cannot do to them, you may what to possess them but the game will just decide you can only kill them FOR NO REASON. He also acts as the guy that does the blight of the modern triple a game stuff, like pressing buttons to proceed. Two, he removes all tension from the combat. You see he can make some sort of ghost shield thing around Jodie that makes her immune to everything, so she now super women and you now have no tension in the combat whatsoever, not that it matters because the combat is easy and uninvolving as humanly possible.

Ok Ok I will stop ranting and look at beyond in a story perspective…..it’s bad. The game revolves around Jodie from a child to teens and her being a CIA agent, in no chronological order, yeah it’s one of those stories. I didn’t understand anything about the CIA carer but it’s mainly Jodie trying to be accepted for what she is…huh for David that isn’t bad. HOW DOES HE RUIN IT? Well I will explain it with this one piece of story. Well the other half of the story that isn’t being mopey and depressed (though I do feel she has great acting at times) she is chasing after hunky boys. One guy who was being REAL bully to her earlier goes on a date with him, Jodie then tells her ghost friend not to kill him because she is falling in love with him. I’m sorry but THAT DOES NOT WORK! YOU DON’T HATE SOMEONE THEN LOVE SOMEONE IT MAKES NO SENCE. Also Jodie spends a lot of time wearing nothing but her underwear, it made me feel awkward.

Overall we must all forget that this game exists, when I saw that this game scored decently I was horribly shocked, all of my friends and that metacritics i know agree with me, so why is it scoring so high? One would think that after making so many games that are movies David would at least get better at it but no he’s getting WORSE. For one he has got a really strange view of poverty, with self -control and standing as one. Maybe he is trying to not alienate the people he will have to live with if he keeps making games like this one. Thank you zero punctuation (go check that guy out he’s awesome)
  24. May 21, 2014
    I like to start this is from the same makers that made heavy rain, one of the little few games that really made me cry, it was a good and driven story.
    When i heard they are making another one, i was hoping it was even better or as good as the previous masterpiece..... I was wrong...

While the visuals and scenes are amazingly implemented, its alive, and very well done, The story was
    one big mess, it wasn't that emotional as it supposed to be, it was a great story, but the order its been told was plain wrong, horrible, and disappointing, it was more confusing, then it would suppose to suck you in, live and feel what the character is going trough, but with each new chapter, its like trowing your emotions in the bin, and start over.

The visuals are amazing, the concept stunning, but the implementation, the order from kid to teenager to adult, was a deal breaking, it was disappointing, and confusing, and it never made it the stage of me crying of the story (what normally tells its a job well done, as i barely cry)

They need to step it up, more game, less movie, and for the sake of future games, make the episodes blend in well... the order is a mess..

Pros: Good graphics, very detailed, its good story.
    Cons: The order of the chapters makes the story disappointing, boring, and frustrating, the emotions would be there if it was played in a better balanced way.
  25. May 9, 2014
    Wow what should I say? I played Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. A few months ago i was really suprised how good Heavy Rain was. But now Quantic Dream created a masterpiece! The game is the best interactive movie I have ever seen. You really wish that this game never ends. It has so much emotional parts in it.
    I never wrote a critic for a game. But this time it's really worth it! Just
    play it by yourself. Expand
  26. May 6, 2014
    This game is probably my new favourite type of game. It has a great storyline to it, although it may be a bit confusing at first but you manage to piece it together later. The gameplay is great with most of it being interactive, is was generally fun to play and had good replay value. The graphics are superb, Voice acting is just brilliant and overall this is an amazing game and I can't wait for Quantic Dream's next game. Expand
  27. Apr 24, 2014
    A little late with this review, but boy was it worth it!
    I do not know what game the magazines are playing, but its certainly not this one. Great game if you like games for the story and twists. Obviously, if you like Heavy rain, you will love this. AMAZING graphics for a ps3, they are pretty much next gen. I would pitch this game as an interactive movie. Acting is top notch and
    characters are very believable. Expand
  28. Apr 22, 2014
    First off, the characters are flat and boring. There is so little realistic interaction between the characters that you are left with no reason to actually care about anyone in this game. We have no sense of who Jodie is as a person and she doesn't undergo any kind of character arc.

Second, there is no plot. It is a jumbled sequence of events with no more to connect them together than
    the fact that each scene has the same character. Expand
  29. Apr 22, 2014
    If you're looking for a fast paced, instant gratification, mindless action first person shooter type game.. Beyond: Two Souls is absolutely NOT for you.

I don't know if I'd actually even call this a game. It's more of an interactive drama. The voice acting is superb. How can it not be though? Willem Dafoe (Boondock Saints, Spiderman) Ellen Page (Juno, Hard Candy) Kadeem Hardison
    (Different Strokes, Vampire in Brooklyn) and Eric Winter (The Mentalist, The Ugly Truth) comprise the main cast and do a magnificent job carrying the story. This game as I said is not meant to be a pure action game. You run, you have QTE events, you dodge, climb, dodge some more, and investigate. The cool thing is you actually want to do all of this because you want to see the next part of the engrossing story. The stealth and espionage part of the game is simple... But Jody is not meant to be a super hero and action star and neither is her partner throughout the game Aiden. As a whole, the two are meant to compliment one another as you navigate through the game's story. I'm not really one to write a review about anything but I feel that this game has definitely been underrated and I wanted to take some time to give my appreciation where it was absolutely due. The visuals of the game are if not the best.... some of the best you will see on the PS3. Last of Us, Tomb Raider, Uncharted..All of these games in my opinion visually were sub par compared to Beyond. That's really saying something as those three games are the PS3's crowning achievements. It's been a long while since I had to stop and marvel at graphics on the last Gen systems and Beyond made me do that multiple times as I was playing the game. At times I thought I was playing my PS4. You're only going to see frame rate slowdown in lager areas like the Desert set piece and some choppy issues in weather effects. There was some poor lighting throughout the game during QTE moments which made it hard to judge in which direction to move the right stick. This could have been attributed to the brightness on my television and not the game itself. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time with Beyond: Two Souls and would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a refreshing change of pace from the "Blow stuff up, Use a special move, Win the level, play online only 3 hour long story campaign" game.

Roger Ebert once said Video Games will never be art. Though that statement can be and has been argued for and against I believe Beyond: Two Souls is if not a work of art definitely a game interwoven with artistic vision. And that vision was a joy to play.

I'm giving my time and Beyond: Two souls a 9. It is well deserved.

(Wikipedia) Art - "Art is the process of deliberately arranging elements in a way that appeals to the senses or emotions."
  30. Apr 21, 2014
    This game is amazing. I love the story, the controls are good, awesome characters, great graphics, everything is so great, and ugh I love the story most of all.
    People should buy this, I can't stop playing it. I really hope there is a sequel of this though, it feels like there is more to tell or explain in the end.
  31. Apr 15, 2014
    one of the most powerful history in the games i ever play!!1 just wonderful!! David Cage bring us a great game anyway they still xbox haters here...........................................................................................
  32. Apr 10, 2014
    Beyond is yet another game that didnt let me put down my controller before finishing it. First of all, Ellen page and Willem Dafoe along with all the other Actors did a brilliant job in acting and motion capture. Artistically,Beyond 2 Souls is a finest piece of writing turned into a game and is conceptually a rich and marvelous title. You might not logically agree with game's abstract concept,but i assure you that it will not stop you from completing this game once you have started it.

Game play vise its quite similar yet different to a usual Quantic Dream title.

Beyond 2 Souls is like a interactive movie with tons of qtes (quick-time events),
    But this time David cage(creative writer and director of beyond 2 souls)
    tried his best to eliminate the onscreen push button (visual icons) that majorly covers the screen to give gamers a much more movie like feel,

I don't say he completely succeeded in that,but he is very close.

All interactable things in Beyond's gameplay are marked with a DOT that fades as you move away from it,
    yes a dot is still a onscreen icon,but its far less annoying and much less visible than huge button icons.
    Hence it does not distract gamers from looking at whats actually happening on screen in cinematic. (compared to looking at button icons and following it).

Technically,Beyond 2 Souls is the benchmark of one of the best game development technology available in market on a low end hardware of ps3.
    Its astonishing how they pulled off and rendered such glorious and eye candy visuals in real time on a hardware that have barely 256mb of video memory.

I always wonder what magnificent,splendid eyegasmic visuals will they create on the much better hardware of newly launched ps4.
    Hopefully,we don't have to wait much for that.

All an all,this game is a must play,it stands apart in terms of concept and gameplay and is graphically stunning.
  33. Apr 7, 2014
    The only reason this game gets a 3 is because it had great graphics. EVERYTHING else SUCKS! Jodie was boring as Hell, the game in general was boring as Hell. Easily one of the worst games I have ever played. It was such a let down.
  34. Apr 2, 2014
    The problem with this game is that the gameplay is almost nonexistent so you can just experience it by watching a Youtube walkthrough. Some of the scenes are pretty emotional tho' (I may or may not have cried)
  35. Mar 31, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is a bloated mess. Amidst technically nice graphics and well implemented voice work, there are tons of technical issues, a disjointed, seemingly randomly confabulated narrative that revolves around the main character doing seemingly random things at different points of her life, which never really add up or pay off to anything. When the "movie like" experience you're paying to "play" (and I use that term very, very loosely) doesn't even deliver on being a well crafted story, you know that someone, somewhere royally screwed up.

The story here revolves around Jodie, played by Ellen Paige who has a special ghost-like entity named Aiden attached to her since she was a child. I'll be the first to admit that this is an interesting premise, and I'd also be willing to admit that it works well inside of Beyond, if it weren't for the game's complete and utter disregard for narrative consistency, or even making contextual sense.

Scenes pass from one to the other, and it almost turns into a bad variety show. The problem is, this isn't intended to be comedy. The game takes itself so seriously, even when it's showing Ellen Paige, ghoth'd out playing the guitar, befriending the homeless, and becoming a secret agent, that it turns into absolute comedic gold. There's no inkling of anyone crafting a well developed, fully realized narrative, here. Considering Beyond is a narrative based experience, this is inexcusable.

I can accept that it's a movie like experience. I didn't play Beyond expecting fully realized gameplay mechanics. The mechanics that are here are pointless, though. You can literally set the controller down, not respond to any of the quick time events at all, and the game will still progress regardless. I did play Beyond expecting a fully realized narrative, and I was sorely disappointed.

I realize I keep pointing back to this, but the story is the basis for this entire game. Beyond isn't about solid gameplay mechanics, interesting locales or any sense of achievement. It's about taking part in its narrative. Being a somewhat controlling factor of it. Which is all well and good, but the narrative here is so weak, that I can't recommend this title to anyone. It's certainly not a game in the traditional sense, and it certainly doesn't qualify as having a decent narrative.

It's derivative, it's pretentious, it's bloated, the exposition leads to nowhere, and simply put, it's not worth your time or money. Beyond: Two Souls has zero redeeming qualities.
  36. Mar 27, 2014
    What a fantastic adventure! I have loved Ellen Paige ever since I saw her in Juno and a game that lets me look at her for 10 hours straight is gonna be a good one in my book hahaha! Seriously, Beyond Two Souls is an enthralling adventure that will sink its teeth into you and not let go! You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll experience some great action; but most of all you will leave the experience with the burning question of " What could have done differently?" That to me is what makes a great game! A story that touches you, brings you in, makes you a part of it and sticks with you long after you have stopped playing! Expand
  37. Mar 24, 2014
    What is there left to say about the games of David Cage? He's obviously passionate about games as an art form, but much like Ed Wood, he fails to understand what makes his medium truly great.

Interactivity is the whole basis of video games. You're not being told a story, you're LIVING that story. It can provide extremely interesting situations for players and add lots of replayability.
    This is where all of Quantic Dreams' efforts fail. These stories are very linear, with Beyond leading the pack as the most linear of all of them.

Jodie Holmes is the star of the story, possessing strange paranormal powers. We follow her through her life and explore what led her to where she is today. With the help of htis paranormal entity known as "Aiden", Jodie is thrust into adventure and drama as she tries to live her life. Beyond is another of the "Your choices matter" type of games that have been plaguing the industry ever since Mass Effect and Bioshock popularized the concept. In this, though, your choices never really feel like they impact the story. It always seems like Cage is more concerned with telling you his narrative than letting you discover your own.

Jodie's character is never really built-up because the game can't decide where to go with its story. It's almost laughable just how silly it is to see Jodie trying to speak to a native kid over in Syria (or wherever they were). It's a shame because there are very good sequences in the game, such as the homeless section, that actually say a lot by staying silent. Other sequences, however, are just the worst they can come. In-particular, the war sequence, the birthday party, many of the child sequences, and the rape are just cringe-worthy writing that even the most exploitative of works don't attempt.

The chronology of Beyond is strange, as it's told out of sequence for no apparent reason. All it seems to use this for is to place important plot information in a flashback right before the level where you need said information. Seems like an afterthought more than a narrative tool.

And lastly, the gameplay of Beyond. Largely consisting of QTE's and occasional (and I do mean occasional) ghost segments, there's not much else to talk about. There are very few times where you can actually fail the mission objectives. As a matter of fact, the game crashed more than I lost on the normal difficulty, a total of three times. The game is restrictive rather than limited with its gameplay segments and once again makes me wonder why these elements aren't used in a budget game that could be produced faster and cheaper and still retain the same quality apart from graphics.

For the third time in a row, Cage has made an uninteresting mess of game that has the foundation of potential surrounding it. If he would just listen to his critics instead of shoehorning his ideas wherever he sees fit, he may just be able to make a truly great and unforgettable game. For now, Beyond doesn't succeed at a single thing it attempts aside from graphics.

Want games with branching pathlines and choices that matter? Try Fallout: New Vegas or Virtues Last Reward.

Want games with excellent stories and good dialogue? Try Deus Ex or Spec Ops: The Line.

Want a game with QTE's and not much else? Try Beyond: Two Souls.
  38. Mar 21, 2014
    Beyond Two Souls has superb graphics and a great story with an interesting narrative that makes you connect the dots and mess with your thinking. Gameplay more dynamic than Heavy Rain. Reviews are lower than expected actually a patriot discomfort not accept some truths that the game shows.
  39. Mar 21, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls was a very intriguing game, mostly plot wise. Though it may have had some confusing parts and areas that just did not make sense whatsoever, it was a memorable game that was worth my money. Plus, come on, Quantic Dream got Willem Dafoe and Ellen Page for it. You can't go wrong with that, my friends.
  40. Mar 21, 2014
    Awesome story, graphics, acting, and soundtrack. A trully nice experience which will make you think of all the journey you have been through while playing the game. Few games have such a capacity to move the player; and this is one of them
  41. Mar 11, 2014
    One of my favorite story telling games with some of the most well developed characters I've ever seen. You'll forget about the lackluster game-play while playing it, since you'll get so attached to Jody that you'll only want to find out more about this amazing character.
  42. Mar 11, 2014
    This game is "Beyond" horrible. For everyone saying that David Cage is a genius and half the gaming population can't understand what a "masterpiece" his work is, please, take a look again.

Here's a true review:

First of all, none of the choices you make in the game have much of an impact. I've watched multiple playthroughs with people trying out different options, and they all lead
    to the same scene in the end of the chapter! So no, whoever says this game is worth the money is lying. Why spend $60 for a game built like a movie out of chronological order? Especially when halfway through the "game", it goes downhill like a rocket ship entering Earth's atmosphere again.

Speaking of game, there's barely any gameplay. You can move around and interact with objects, but jeeeeeeez, the most gameplay I've gotten out of it was with the sneaking. And even then, whenever I tried to fail every single prompt to see if I could get a different outcome from things--because, mind you, according to David Cage, the point of an interactive game is to have your actions NOT determine the outcome of your future events--the game just handled it for me like a guiding hand.

Second, everyone calls her a witch like it's the new thing. We're supposed to feel for her, but most of the time I just groaned and slapped my forehead. Seriously, who the hell uses that word for unexplained occurrences anymore? This isn't the Crucible! Of course, though, everything bad that happens can always be justified with the term "witch." And every time something happened, the blame would instantly be put on her too.
    According to David Cage, "Witches are a failure of the game designer."

All the emotional scenes are forced on Jodie for the sake of her herself, not the stupidly wonderful storyline. I spent most of my time yelling out, "Oh, come ON! There's no way something that stupid would happen in real life!!"
    I mean, really!? She gets the option to kiss almost every guy she meets because she's a slut (and yes, I chose to kiss them all for the giggles), and even then, when most of them are such **** to her in the first place, everyone thinks it's a sweet, romantic moment.

So apparently, just because she has this supernatural entity following her, we should feel sorry for the girl? Damn, I've met people with sadder stories about dying dogs and missing out on in-town events. This, just....this game does a horrendous way of making you feel sorry for her. One moment when you actually start to get into it, it goes back to her childhood or another part of her life.

Don't let me get started on how horribly done the order of her life is..... Chronological would have made the game better, but not to the point of saving it.

I could go oooon about all the stereotypes he puts in there. Hell, most of this game just yells out, "Hey, look! The white race is superior, so let's have our white girl solve a thousand year old prophecy, make an old lady who hasn't talked for years suddenly speak, and take down a warlord!! And then, after all of that happens, let's bring in more feels so the gamers can empathize with her!"
    Most of the time all the tension died down because one knew Aiden would save them no matter what happened -_ -

I've written a short story once--a lot of people say it's the most original and creative idea they've ever heard of--and the death of my main characters sister actually made my friends cry and feel depressed, and that was only in the fifth chapter of the book. I didn't need a supernatural entity following her to make the other characters treat her bad because of her being a "witch", nor did I have the need to randomly skip to "tragic" scenes of her past to make them feel for her.
    No, I built it all up from beginning to end; she only appeared in Chapter Two before appearing again in Chapter Five. She wasn't even a main character either. That's how you make a great character, not this Beyond Two Craps that forces you to sympathize with a girl who spreads her legs for every possible guy she meets, randomly time skipped sequences and her constant yelling at Aiden, wanting his help, yelling again before wanting him to help her out again. Give the guy a rest, damn!

I admit though, I got more laughs out of this game than intended when playing with my friends XD So I guess that's one reason to buy it.

Trust me, if you look Beyond the so-called storyline and dwell into it, you'll see all the flaws everyone is ignoring. Take a look at all the good reviews. All they talk about is the storyline, the graphics and character personalities of the game right? Well yeah, because that's all they freaking focused on.

This game is more racist than AC3, more jumbled up than a bunch of hyper-active kids at a birthday party, yells out "White power!" to the point that it's hilarious, slaps everything in your face to make you feel "bad", and brings out all sorts of clichés like it's a festival. Apparently, that's what this generation deems a "masterpiece".
  43. Mar 11, 2014
    Amazing Graphics. Fantastic Story. Incredible Experience. Different and Good Gameplay. Perfect Game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  44. Mar 10, 2014
    Beyond is a fantastic 10 h run to watch and feel. The game is a Story you want to follow till the end. The graphics r fantastic. And if u liked Heavy Rain and Remember me, or if you appriciate a good story more than the game itsefl - Beyond Two Souls is for You. It's a beautiful experienc for casual gamers, as it is a fantastic story
  45. Mar 8, 2014
    I'm sorry if don't like this game, you just don't see the potential for it.Me and my friend played this 3 TIMES and every time it was just as interesting as the first time we beat It and that was the best feeling in the world.Ellen Page and Eric Winter make a great couple and I'm happy they put them together.
  46. Mar 8, 2014
    Beyond Two Souls was not so popular game, such as Heavy Rain, but still, it was quite better from some views than Heavy Rain, but not as better as it.
    The graphic is awesome, the best I could say for the late of 2013. The cinematics are great and the performance of the two Hollywood actors was cool. But nevertheless, the gameplay eclipsed those several better things than Heavy Rain; The
    story is nice, but this reversal of the chapters and the transformation of Jodie decepted a lot of players. However, this was not the worst thing, but the fact that whatever you do, you cannot die, as Aiden helps you all the time, and this made the game worse, not realistic. Quantic dream tried to make Beyond Two Souls a mixture between psychological, adventure and horror genre, but I guess the combat from this adventure of the game made it a bit hard to swallow.
    I have to praise the performance of Ellen Page; even they took a not-so-popular actress, she made her role so good.
    I can say that the game could be much better, certainly better than Heavy Rain, if David Cage would polish a bit the gameplay and the concept.
    Therefor, I give it an 8, rating it very good.
  47. Mar 7, 2014
    For fans of experiments, at least the first hour is highly recommended. Let me just say the camera-work is unique. But then it just keeps going. It's like a movie about walking, 80% of the time. The story affected me emotionally, the graphics made me say "wow" out loud several times, the acting impressed me and kept me engaged. But it's still mainly images of someone walking through sceneries. And it doesn't convey anything about that act. Plus I got stuck in doorways a few times, was stressed out unnecessarily by the QTE button-mashing, and found every single 'puzzle' obvious. It's the most photo-realistic game I've ever played, but aside from graphics, it's barely two-dimensional. Expand
  48. Mar 7, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The gameplay is quite easy and that makes it kind of boring. Graphic detalis are Awsome, and the story has a deep messege.It also drives you to variated environments. Thats a positive point. Its more like a movie than any other action game any of us had played.
    Is it worth to play it.
  49. Mar 1, 2014
    A successor to the... success of Heavy Rain, Beyond improved the wrong things and leaved the things that needed improvement, the same. That means that gameplaywise, your actions have little to no impact, there are probably less occasions where your actions matter and they passed the fail line when they decided that the game has no penalty for your mistakes. You can leave your controller down and the game progresses as it would. That's the definition of non-existant gameplay.

If you can overpass all of the above, the game is a marvel. The story is great, impactful and full of emotions, the atmosphere in every area is unbelievable and the visualisation of the artists is excellent. Trully excellent. The art director of this game should be really proud. One section reminded me of the 6th sense, the other Alien, another one is full of mystery and another made me feel like a little girl. Excellent stuff. The graphics have surpassed everything that out there right now. It's jawdropping. It's got the best character models, the best lighting, the best facial animations and character animations... unbelievable naturally moving trees and (not TressFX) hair, amazing skin textures.... This game is the best visual experience you can have on any video game right now. The sound is also excellent and the acting is stellar.

All in all, I enjoyed it as much as I did Heavy Rain, because it too has a lot of emotional sections that have a great impact on the player/viewer. Also, the stealth sections are a step to the right direction. Just give us some gameplay mr. Cage and you'll have your perfect scores.
  50. Feb 27, 2014
    It was enjoyable, but not nearly as much as Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit.
    For those that don't know these are games of same people that made this one.

Those previous games were less about saving the world (Fahrenheit was, but only near the ending, which sucked horribly anyway) and more about characters dealing with their falling apart for some reason. It was about interaction between
    different characters - here you only play Jodie&Aiden.

It lacked...I don't know...intrigue? Something to keep you on your toes. Maybe it was because the story was presented this awkwardly - it ruined my immersion sometimes. Interesting way to present a story, but I think it was too fragmented and would prefer chronological presentation.

QTE were much bettter than thier previous games without retarted flashing colors Fahrenheit had. Nice job here.

Jodie is an interesting character, and Aiden too, I'm glad they've explained WHY Aiden was with her all the time. Other characters felt really nicely developed too ! I especially liked Nathan and Cole, yeah they were probably a little bit cliche, but still great characters.

They wrapped up the plot nicely. Multiple endings of which most made sense. Potential hint of future sequel maybe ?

It gets a solid 7/10 from me.
    And for those who are bashing this game for its story....maybe try Call of Duty. Something with a story more fit for your intellectual possibilities.
  51. Feb 24, 2014
    I was interested in purchasing this game after seeing the first trailer and seeing it was done by the same studio who made Heavy Rain. Overall, graphic-wise its Beautiful to look at with great voice acting performances from Ellen Page and William Defoe but it is ultimately undone by an all-over-the-place and downright silly plot and weird controls that even a casual gamer like me couldn't get over. But to each his own I guess Expand
  52. Feb 22, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is best defined as an interactive movie, but while many reviewers might use that phrase with a negative connotation, it's nothing short of brilliant in this case. The game is filled to the brim with quick-time events and lengthy cut-scenes, but it never feels overdone. The story is conveyed with rich dialogue, incredible visuals, and a great accompanying soundtrack. The writing is impeccable, and the experience will stick with you forever. There were a few strange parts (ahem... the Navajo chapter) that pulled me out of the sci-fi/paranormal atmosphere in which Beyond lies, but as a whole the story is nothing short of breathtaking. All PS3 owners deserve it to themselves to check this one out. Expand
  53. Feb 21, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is far from being Heavy Rain good. But it proves to be a pretty great game. Though I absolutely HATED the first half of the game. Every early level up to "Homeless" was bad. "Homeless" was easily my favorite level. The level just had a lot of interactive things to do and was filled with fun. Right before I was going to quit playing the game, I decided to play on and that is when I played "Homeless." My least favorite level was "The Condenser." The level was terrible. It was just boring to me. After "Homeless," the game gets extremely good. I didn't want to put it down after that. Ellen Page does a fantastic job playing Jodie Holmes. All of the voice actors were great in this game. The game though, Didn't have as much fun interactions as Heavy Rain did. Heavy Rain had so much fun interactions and Beyond: Two Souls just has okay interactions. Overall, the game was really amazing other than the early levels and I recommend you to play it. Expand
  54. Feb 21, 2014
    Truly a masterpiece. This game needs no summary, it is simply amazing and beautiful. It will keep you hooked until the end. With it's hd graphics and the voice actor being Ellen Paige, this game is definitely one of the best games you can get for the ps3.
  55. Feb 20, 2014
    OMG is still don't understand why everyone gives this game 10. Yes, the graphics are good and yes theres a female lead but the storys absurd and I was laughing unintentionally so many times. Also the game treats the audience dumb - do I need to remind you of the flashback scene??? People who say this is goty are dumb because they havnt played TLoU.
  56. Feb 18, 2014
    Its hard but you really have to play this game without comparing it to the studios predecessor, heavy rain. Heavy rain focuses on important decision making, while Beyond two souls main focus is on story telling, which it does well.
    The story is well acted and at times gripping but suffers from a lack of edge of your seat moments, due to the way the story is presented. There's also a lack
    of moments were you feel what you're doing is actually effecting your ending.
    I also personally felt it sometimes looses it way, the desert chapter comes to mind as a time i thought it story got a little lost.
    Its not a game for everyone, but a game i personally enjoyed.
  57. Feb 17, 2014
    I love that game. Awesome story, absolutely beautiful graphics and interesting characters. I think everyone should play and feel IT. Beyond and TLOU = My games of the year!
  58. Feb 15, 2014
    Just played it trought for the first time. Its an aweomse interactive movie rather than a game, but who cares ? The story was beutifull, the acting was perfect (Elen Page done an awesome job). Multiple endings.

I highly recommend this to everyone!

One slightly problem: the "combat system" is a bit hard, so it wasnt easy to see what kind of move Joide do.
  59. Feb 15, 2014
    Mind blowing game, great graphics Wow just wow! this takes gaming to the level and quality of some large budget Hollywood films. It stands high next to Tomb Raider and The Last of us.
  60. Feb 13, 2014
    A fun game with beautiful graphics and a story that starts slow and builds into something supernatural quirky ans surprising. There is very little doubt that this is an interactive movie but a very good one at that.
  61. Feb 4, 2014
    This game along with The Last Of Us are amazing games. I hope more titles / stories like this come along. This is entertainment. Gaming and Story together. Great soundtrack as well. One of the best games of 2013/14.
  62. Feb 3, 2014
    One of the best games I ever played!
    Graphics are stunning! Dialogs, controls and story are much better than in Heavy rain. And the main thing the game gaves me is some unforgetable emotions, like when I played snowballs...
  63. Feb 2, 2014
    Do you want to play a game where you pack a bag for a level, push left or right to roll in bed and then push two buttons to put your feet on the floor. then this is the game for you. You can push wrong buttons all the way through and still complete. Have powers that can go through walls 10 feet away but not 1mm away. Walk in only one direction, your decissions don't matter charaters forget later. Take over peoples bodies but only certain ones. This game is completely about the smug Actors (Ellen Page and William Defoe) and just like there movies over hyped and very disapointing. Expand
  64. Jan 31, 2014
    This is one of the most amazing games I have ever played, I don't care when people say about the jumps in game play , i just play to have fun, and might i say it was one hell of a emotional journey.

Defiantly the game i will remember for the rest of my life.
  65. Jan 26, 2014
    Well, I just signed up to Metacritic to give a review for Beyond: Two Souls - that's how much I liked it.

This is a remarkable achievement and I think so even though I understand criticisms that argue that this is not a game, but a playable novel. I absolutely adored The Last of Us - and I adore Beyond Two Souls specifically for the same reason: STORY.

Character, story and emotional
    depth is unlike anything I have seen. The game recaptures a dying art, truly - and makes story and characters relevant again. Remember why 8-bit games of 1980s were more fun than 1920x1800 HD games of today? It was story and emotional reality (not factual, or graphic reality).

Yet, I have to tell you the game has some of the best graphics I have seen on PS3 platform; visuals, shading - and oh my god, camera angles (cinematography) are top quality. Visuals of this game is pure artistic genius.

I could easily list this game at the Top 3 of best PS3 games I have played.

Downsides that really doesn't make this game a lesser game:

- Not actually a game - your decisions don't really have much impact on playing experience. Sequel can retain artistic aspects of this and build on it by developing a kick-ass engine in shooting, stealth, movement etc. to make it more of a game-novel combination.

- You don't die, really. So you can't make much of a mistake in the game. I think game could be developed further in that aspect.

- Very linear story line. A combination of story telling, plus sandbox experience will be really amazing.

If all three shortcomings can be improved in the next sequel (not DLC, an actual new game as sequel), this came can truly become one of the best games of all time, in all platforms.
  66. Jan 19, 2014
    The bar has been raised. While the gameplay is nothing to get too excited over, it's the character acting and story that keeps you playing. An impressive, engaging, and unique experience that let me satisfied.
  67. Jan 19, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls has some glitches and such, but, in general, this is a great game full of excitement, drama, and action. You make small and large choices. But, unlike Heavy Rain, this doesn't effect the ENTIRE game ending. The graphics are amazing, the voice acting is great. In my opinion, this is the best game I have ever played so far.
  68. Jan 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game should have been great but due to some terrible pacing issues with the story's chapters I felt disjointed with Jodie's struggles. I was not able to grow with her through her journey like I did with Ellie from The Last of Us, Elizabeth from BioShock or Laura Croft. Every time an interesting chapter would be completed I was dragged back to a boring uninteresting segment of her childhood. There is no reason for me to have to fight my way off a train to the middle of a towns Main Street where I have to kill a half dozen soldiers to then play a child in a snow fight in the next chapter. It is set up for a sequel and I hope they choose to go with a more linear approach to the story. Expand
  69. Jan 17, 2014
    Wanted to like it more than I actually did, especially because Heavy Rain is one of my favourite games of all time. But the non-linear storyline is weak and you feel as though your choices don't matter - the player is robbed of what makes games unique - agency - as they're just trying to get to the next scene. The QTE "flick the stick" is too streamlined and unsatisfying as well.
  70. Jan 14, 2014
    This is an amazing game. Yes, it is more a kind of interactive story-telling experience, rather than an action adventure, but it further closes the gap between movies and games and fills this gap with an outstanding experience. Of course, the player needs to be open for that and allow feelings to run their course, but if he does, he will not be dissapointed. The graphics and the incredible score contribute to that, even though the music doesn't seem to be really interactive ar some points in the game. So there is still room for furter improvements and I am looking forward to the next Quantic Dream experience. Expand
  71. Jan 13, 2014
    I was very excited about this game and had been eagerly anticipating it for a long time, as Heavy Rain is one of favourite games of all time. Sadly, for a number of reasons, I was left not angry, but disappointed.

One of the main reasons I loved Heavy Rain was the huge amount of choice the player had and the amount of endings it contained was nothing short of staggering. Here, choices
    rarely matter until the final level, as things will play almost the same. In all honesty, it basically boils down to two main endings and the rest is just about which generic caricature lives and which dies.

In addition, the gameplay is quite weak overall. Choice making, navigation and interacting with objects is easy enough, but combat is very weak. Time will slow down for a moment and you have to judge in which direction Page's body is moving in by flicking an analogue stick. But her body is very hard to judge and I often found myself failing these sequences. However, if you play the game on the easy difficulty, there is an arrow that indicates which direction you need to move the stick. This option, though, made it too easy, meaning that there is no middle ground that the majority of gamers will long for.

Yet I would be willing to forgive both of these offences in an instant if only the story was good. But it just ISN'T. It tries to do be many things: a globe trotting spy thriller, an supernatural action adventure, a touching drama, a romance, a biography of Jodie Holmes. It's all just too much to take and the fact that it is presented in a very non-chronological order only hinders it. There are a few effective moments littered about and, whilst I didn't really give a **** about Jodie, I could see that Ellen Page tried her best and did do a good job. As a character though, I much preferred Willem Dafoe's Nathan Dawkins. I didn't hate the plot, but it just wasn't that interesting.

It isn't the game/movie thing that I'm annoyed about, rather, I think that these 'interactive experiences' (as they have been so cringily dubbed) truly have potential. But these 'things' are meant to be about the story and if the story isn't up to scratch, then what good are they? There were some superb graphics and solid performances but lack of engaging plot bring the entire thing down sadly.
  72. Jan 8, 2014
    So Beyond Two Souls, my most recently completed game. Its a story about Jodie Holmes (played by Ellen Page), a girl who is linked to Aiden, an entity/spirit since the day she was born and how it affect her lives.

I went into the game with a range of thoughts from good to below average. And boy, my doubts were completely washed away from the moment I sat through the openings. One thing
    to take note though, this is more of an interactive drama than the average video game with guns and explosion, so with that aside, here are my thoughts.

Needless to say, games from QuanticDreams always has the best graphics on PS3, it is very cinematic so there is no 16:9 ratio but instead a letterbox resolution you typically saw in a movie. Gameplays are simple yet effective to progress through the story, you walk with the left stick as usual and push the right stick to the direction Jodie is moving when in combat. Aside from her, you can also switch in and out of Aiden most of the game and use it to solve majority of the puzzles. I have no issues with it but I can see why some people won't like it.

Unlike most story driven games, this plays non chronologically which means you jump in and out of the important events on her 15 year timeline, you will play her as a kid in a chapter then the next she might be in a desert hunting for terrorists warlord, this is very interesting to say the least, it lets you piece the puzzles together yourselves this way and I think its very smart, kudos to the devs. One negative about that is that since the story makes you choose your own decision in some sections, the consequences does not last as long as we want it to be like in The Walking Dead, another great game if I might add.

Character development is fantastic, you can really relate to them and actually give a damn about them in clutch moments. All of this is done by the stellar performances the actors put out, if you watch the first Spiderman trilogy, you might recognise Willem Dafoe, who plays Nathan Dawkins in this game, a fatherly researcher who takes cares of Jodie since she was a kid to find out and understand more about phenomena such as Aiden.

I can't say much about the stories without spoiling it but do expect some twists and some gut wrenching moments. Alright, lets close it up since its already 4am for me. The game has one of the most realistic facial capture, innovative gameplay, stellar performances, great executions on high emotional peaks, goosebumps inducing soundtrack and a F*CK TON of efforts put into this.

A great pick up for a change of pace if you ask me, I will recommend this to anyone who enjoyed Heavy Rain which is another notable title brought to you from the very same team. Thank you for reading my little review and I hope you enjoyed it.
  73. Jan 7, 2014
    If you look at the 10/10 reviews for the game on Metacritic, you see such lines as "maybe a interactive novel", "Best cinematic game ever", and "interactive drama". I'm quoting this because I want to make it clear that Beyond Two Souls is not really a game in the traditional sense, and I'm not trolling by giving it a 0. What this is is a $60 movie. For my money, if I want to watch a movie, I'll pay about 1/10th the price to see it in a theater or 1/20th the price to rent it. I don't see the advantage to using video games to simply tell a story. I do realize that some people enjoy this "game", but I just don't understand why it had to be a game at all. Could it not have been enjoyable as a movie? Did it have to be a $60 title? I'm giving it a zero, though, because I didn't even think the story was very good. Expand
  74. Jan 6, 2014
    I have never been emotionally attached that much to any game/movie before. The game has awesome graphics/sound and an creative gameplay but it was the main character that got me hooked.
    There is no way you don't like and don't feel for her during the whole game. Quantic Dream and Ellen Paige did an awesome job here.
    One of the most unvalued games I know.
  75. Jan 6, 2014
    I give this game a solid 8 for two reasons: 1) QuanticDream's ambition and courage and 2) The game is good, period. But it is not for everyone. Basically, this is not a "game" as it is much more of a digital experience. Beyond 2 Souls is one HUGE Quick Time Event, where you control the decisions and deal with the repercussions of your acts. This is the tale of a girl who is connected to an entity that gives her paranormal powers. And what a tale... from a small, frightened girl being tested to a fully trained CIA agent, this game tells an incredible story that mixes adrenaline, surprises and, occasionally, terror. One of 2013's best surprises, no question about it. It is not the best game, it won't be Game of the Year, but it is a beautiful effort, a product of love and should not be missed. Expand
  76. Jan 5, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is a mixed affair. On the one hand I was incredibly engrossed in the story telling and fabulous visuals. On the other hand the illusion was often shattered by incredibly irritating controls and camera angles.

When it's telling the story, it is brilliant. When it's trying to be a game, it's dull, restrictive, and often downright irritating.
  77. Jan 2, 2014
    The best game I have ever played. Loved Jodie as a character and the story was excellent, visually the game looked awesome and the music was also fantastic
  78. Jan 1, 2014
    You can not go into this game expecting any other sort of game. This is not a game about combat, and sandbox features. This is a purely story driven game.
    Don't judge Mario for the story, Don't judge Call of Duty for historical accuracy, Don't judge this game because it's unlike others.
  79. Jan 1, 2014
    Comparing it to Heavy Rain, David Cage's previous project, Beyond: Two Souls lacks the feeling of the player's actions altering the story, as well as having an often confusing plot. However, the game makes up for it with gorgeous visuals and, more importantly, a great performance by the cast (a huge improvement over Heavy Rain), especially by Ellen Paige in the lead role.
  80. Dec 30, 2013
    The story and graphics are fantastic, the story gripped me instantly and I cannot wait to replay this game as there was so many different ways each scene could have ended and lots of hidden things to see and do in them,
  81. Dec 30, 2013
    It saddens me when I see the negativity that is associated with this game because Beyond: Two Souls was nothing short of an emotional roller coaster that took me through the life of Jodie Holmes, a protagonist that I grew to care about significantly. The journey this game took me through made me believe that my decisions mattered and were significant in understanding the importance of right and wrong. I felt as if the characters I met playing along this journey as Jodie truly developed her character and created a depth to the overall experience. There were many moments that simultaneously made me feel the same emotions that Jodie was feeling in response to an event that may have occurred or a significant plot point which was surprising to say the least.

Beyond: Two Souls is special, it is a unique tale that deserves recognition for what it has accomplished. The entirety of the story should be experienced first hand in order to understand the captivating potential of the type of medium this game uses to engage the player. This game drained me emotionally which is a feat few games have done in the past and this is why it will be treasured. I can only urge others to not disregard Beyond: Two Souls as it so much more than a game, rather it is a masterful work of art.
  82. Dec 29, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is more than just a video game, It is an experience. With outstanding graphics and a stellar performance from Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe, and Kadeem Haridson, David Cage has yet again created one of the most beautiful masterpieces in human history. Beyond: Two Souls has characters you are sure to fall in love with, and a storyline that touches your heart like nothing you've ever felt before. Expand
  83. Dec 29, 2013
    Below is my personal point of view about Beyond: Two Souls game. Please, note that as a player I was quite sceptical about interactive-movie game genre, but Beyond: Two Souls changed my opinion on the matter completely. Now I believe that good interactive-movie is the best format of telling truly amazing stories.

The story.
    Beyond: Two Souls is a heavily story-driven game, as any good
    interactive movie should be. Both genre of the story, and how exactly the story is told, make the game so very special. Personally, I'm not a fan of paranormal stories, but this game managed to show me such story in an unusual perspective and with very interesting ideas. The Infraworld and the Entities for example remind me the Fade and Spirits/Demons concepts from Dragon Age series, concepts that I find very interesting to think about and play with. Specific relanionship between Jodie and Aiden is also very interesting concept. And of course, what attracts me the most to the story the philosophical thinking about how different people are treating something/someone alien and each other. Thinking that is very important nowadays.

Ideas used in a game are very important, but they are not the only thing that shape the story. Representation of all these ideas is not less important. And that part of Beyond: Two Souls is just brilliant. The amazing actors' work and all the technologies that were used to move this work into game with awesome graphical engine, combined with beautiful music, great ideas and interesting scenario made the game masterpiece. I can't remember a book, movie, or game that seemed so important and so real for me. I played through the game twice already each time the same deep feelings and thoughts, each time I applauded in the end. Literally.

The gameplay.
    Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is mostly QTE, however I can't call this a disadvantage. Simply, because Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is very diverse and interesting. It uses the entire gamepad. Movement with left stick and looking with right stick reminds any modern third person game (but has much more diferent animations than any regular game). 8 different buttons can be used in three different ways (press, press-and-hold, press-rapidly), and in combinations with each other. Swipe-like interactions with right stick remind swipes common for mobile games very intuitive and handy. Even gyroscope and accelerometer are used. In addition to all of that, Beyond: Two Souls contains elements of different game genres stealth action, cover shooter, simulator, and quest. Finally, Jodie and Aiden gameplays are completely different. Basically, I can't recall any FPS, TPS, or RPG game that has such diverse gameplay possibilities, especially non-combat gameplay possibilities.
    Some people may say that Beyond: Two Souls has too small amout of gameplay, and I will disagree. The game has enough amount of gameplay. It's not too large, so I never got bored with doing the same thing over and over again. And it's not too small, so I get perfect level of immersion, and feel like I'm participating in the story's events, not just observing.
    Some people may also say that impossibility of protagonist's death is the game's disadvantage. But it is not, actually. It fits this particular story very well. And there are other good story-driven games that prove I'm right, for example Planescape: Torment and Darksiders-2. Beyond: Two Souls story depends on player's actions, but not in the way if you will die or not during the gameplay, but in the way of changing turn of events in the story's key moments.
    What I liked the most in Beyond: Two Souls gameplay is melee combat. I found it very dynamic, exciting, and sometimes very challenging. It was really exciting to see fully motion captured diverse melee and run scenarios with a lot of key-points for intuitive interactions, which are not always easy to perform. This kind of melee combat requires attention and concentration, it looks and feels really great and realistic, and honestly, I would prefer such melee gameplay over any other variants of melee regular games can offer nowadays.
    One more thing worth mentioning is dialogue system. What I like about it is that unlike other dialogue systems, it's quite challenging. You can't trigger dialogue scene, then go drink some coffee, talk to your fiends for a while, make a couple of calls, and then return to the game just to see the dialogue scene as you left it 20 minutes ago. Dialogue options are fading in matter of seconds. Sometimes they are blinking and flouncing in accordance to your character's condition when Jodie is tired or angry for example, and it quite hard to say something right in such a condition, just like in real life.

The conclusion.
    Playing Beyond: Two Souls is really amazing game experience.
  84. Dec 27, 2013
    This game packs a graphical punch similar to Uncharted 2. This game along with gt6 is one of the reasons I'm disappointed with the next gen consoles so far. The story is extremely deep and teaches you a lot of things about life you may never of even considered. However, the experience isn't really about you. It's about the main character and all your decisions inevitably shape the same inevitable story until the very end. Their are stunning vistas in this game from all over the U.S including some places you can traverse by horseback(only in one section of the game). The main problem is their is very little replayability and no punishment for making mistakes. The choose your own adventure style of heavy rain is instead replaced with one of the most beautiful action packed games on the ps3. Expand
  85. Dec 27, 2013
    Whether defined as visual novel, interactive movie of video game, Beyond: Two Souls is undoubtedly excellent entertainment. What's more, Quantic Dream have done incredible work pushing the PS3 (by now "outdated hardware" to its limits) with amazingly high production values. As a fan of Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) I can only recommend.
  86. Dec 26, 2013
    If you are looking for a great story this is your game. Its like being engrossed in a movie that lasts much longer. You become very attached to the characters. The graphics are some of the best I've ever seen. Also, the game play is a new style with being able to switch to Aiden. I really enjoyed the decision making aspect as well because it enveloped you into the character and you got to create her personality. Yes, the game is going to get to the same points but the charters reactions really change many aspects to the story. Overall, this game is really fun and you will lose track of time following the story and always wondering what happens next. I would even give it an 8 out of 10 replay value. The game was not exactly what I expected when i first started after watching and reading reviews, but even better and I quickly fell in love. Have fun gaming, hope this helps. Expand
  87. Dec 26, 2013
    Dont go in expecting F.E.A.R. chills. Think of it like a classic point and click adventure (with some point and click 'action' bits) and you won't be disapointed. The story is good, but you'll probably guess it well before the end. The characters, story telling, graphics and sound are excellent. Pacing is good. You will remember some scenes for a long time. Its like a solid, well made interactive movie. Expand
  88. Dec 24, 2013
    My PS3 Game of the Year for 2013! Wow! The realism blew me away. To think this level of graphics and life-like character modelling is possible on a piece of outdated hardware (yes, the PS3), is unbelievable. Sure, I've just completed The Last of Us before playing this. But, wow, I didn't expect to be more amazed at this game. The emotions that is conveyed through the digitized version of Ellen Page is so strong. I cried at a few of the more touching junctures. You know, I love movies, but to be able to be a part of a movie, and have your decisions and actions affect the "movie", is really somethin special. I want a sequel to this beautiful interactive "movie". I love everything about this game, except the story was being told in a haphazard manner where the sequence of events are not played out in chronological manner, but in a jumbled-up manner. In conclusion, this is one unique game. Totally worth the experience! Expand
  89. Dec 24, 2013
    One Word DIsappointing Great visuals but realy week storyline For David Cage this is awful. Compare this game with Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit and you will understand me :

P.S. Sorry For bad English
  90. Dec 23, 2013
    I tried, twice so far, to get into Heavy Rain, and it just didn't click with me. However, Beyond: Two Souls, was, imo, a fantastic ride. While the story did, at some points, go a bit too far out, even for me, I still enjoyed it immensely, and ontop of that the mocap, voice acting, lip sync, graphics, aesthetics, soundscape was all amazing. With regards to the story I would have liked it to be more coherent, but I guess it fits the story as broken and chaotic as it is, also that does give a break in the combat/action sequences. All in all this was a great game, or maybe rather experience, I cannot wait for the next quantic dream title for that hopefully is being made for PS4. This year saw me buy both a PS3 and a PS4 (previously exclusively PC gamer), definitely not regretting going with sony here, keep 'em comin'. Expand
  91. Dec 22, 2013
    A work of art, I've never been so involved in a plot since... Ever! Graphics are the best I've ever seen in a game, character's expressions are just perfect, objects and stuff are OK, but I haven't seen any game do it better. I just wish the storyline was as much as changeable according to your actions as it was on Heavy Rain. An absolute must play, remarkable experience.
  92. Dec 22, 2013
    Three years after the release of the critically acclaimed Heavy Rain, David Cage has finally released his next project, Beyond: Two Souls. With the major amount of publicity its received, given that Ellen Page and Willem Defoe are the games main characters, the question surrounding this game is whether or not it can live up to the hype.

One of the most impressive aspects of the game is
    the graphics. Although the game wouldn't be considered beautiful with popping colors, the graphics themselves are beyond impressive in terms of detail. The character designs are amazing, capturing everything from the character's pores, to their hair, and even to the details of their clothes. The amount of detail and color in this game make it an absolute beauty to look at, and make it one of the most graphically impressive games of the current console generation, if not the best.

Another aspect of the game is the story. Unlike Cage's last game, Heavy Rain, the game features only one protagonist, Jodie Holmes, played by actress Ellen Page and the ghost tied to her, named Aiden. The game follows Jodie's story from age 9 all the way to 24. The game features multiple chapters which are more jumbled and mixed up than a Quinton Tarantino film. Luckily, the game has a time line as a loading screen, which shows you when each chapter happened, making the story surprisingly easy to follow. In the first couple of hours, the story wasn't as engrossing as I would have liked, and I wondered exactly how some of the chapters were significant. Luckily, as the chapters filled out, all the events became important in their own way, and it's actually better that the story is jumbled up because it helps make some events in the story later down the timeline more clear and easy to understand. If the story were to be viewed in order, it would have significantly weakened the experience.

One disappointment I've heard from fans is that the story isn't like Heavy Rain's style. In Heavy Rain's story, the game had an enormous amount of endings, which were all affected by the choices you made throughout the story. The multiple endings and in game choices encouraged multiple playthroughs if you wanted to get all of them. What made the game more exiting was the ability to kill off your characters, as well as the shocking twist near the end.

Then there's Beyond's story. The game does have multiple endings, but the choices in the game that affect what ending you get are made within the last thirty minutes of the game. There are certain actions you can make in the story that make some of the endings slightly different, but that's it. However, I personally loved the change up. The reason why is because Heavy Rain's story was a little short, given all the work that was put into the multiple story arcs, which I had no problem with. However, because the story in Beyond was a single story arc, the story had a lot more room for the drama and impact. In this case, Beyond delivers, ultimately making it emotional, intense, heartfelt, and humorous on a couple of occasions. Also, the story is longer than Heavy Rain, making more room for the drama. So, I personally don't mind the change, but I know others will, so whether or not the game's story is good depends on your preferences.

Next is the gameplay. The gameplay is similar to Heavy Rain, using the Face buttons to control speech choices during conversations and decisions, while using quick time events for the action. The quick time events in Beyond are actually based on moving the right analog stick in the correct direction. There aren't any on screen prompts, so you have to judge which way to move the stick, based on Jodie's momentum whenever the action slows. I've heard complaints that the direction isn't always clear, but I never had a problem with it. Plus, the slow down prompt always gives you enough time to adequately judge where to go.

One thing I was disappointed with was the balance of quick time events and cinematic gameplay. Heavy Rain had a nice balance, usually having a quick time event segment every hour or so, with cinematic gameplay filling out the in between sections. In Beyond, the game would sometimes go on for hours without any quick time events or action. Despite the great story, the gap sometimes left me impatient for more.

In this game, you don't control just Jodie, but the Aiden too. His gameplay mainly consists of messing with objects in the environment, as well as the ability to posses or kill people. As Aiden, you float around the area, and look for the next object to mess with (usually presented with a white dot), or look for the next person to kill or possess (usually presented with a red or orange silhouette). Aiden's controls are floaty at first, but get easier to handle over time.

Ultimately, the game was incredible. When I reached the end, I was impressed with both the story as well as the gameplay and in the end, I can say my expectations with this game were satisfied.
  93. Dec 21, 2013
    As soon as I completed this game I felt compelled to write a review so here I am. Put short beyond two souls is feaking amazing, the character development, the story, graphics, audio everything is top notch and so well done the game is nothing short of a masterpiece and quite easily my favourite game of this generation by quite a distance. Its hard to describe just how good this game is. Word of warning though this game is all about the story, so if stories arent your thing and your prefer open world games etc then look elsewhere Expand
  94. Dec 21, 2013
    There is no other game like this one. It's a journey. It's a experience. Beyond two souls has one of the best graphics(especially faces are very detailed), amazing soundtrack(Lorne Balfe and Hans Zimmer as composers) and excellent performance from Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. But where beyond two souls fails is it's story and for a story driven game that's not so good. The plot has it's great moments but overall the story is unfocused and confusing. What's most irritating is that the plot leaves too many unanswered questions. Dialog could have been better also and your choices and actions don't have such a great effect on the story. After all this rant I have to say that Beyond two's story has it's moments. The game includes interesting themes like life after death. Well-developed characters with evolving personalities. Expand
  95. Dec 20, 2013
    Excellent acting by Ellen Page, Willem Defoe and other main characters were good, minor characters weren’t as good, but I feel like Ellen Page's performance really helped sell the game and I would say she probably has one of the best performances in any video game so far. The story is interesting with paranormal and some sci fi element, though the nonsequential story doesn’t really help in all instances. It feels all over the place, especially with there being smaller plots that don’t all have something to do with each other. The Navajo storyline, for the most part, seems like it has little to do with the rest of the game. Another complaint is that the game feels slow at times. I do like Jodie’s character, it’s more believable than Lara Croft. They train Jodie, which explains why she can take on bigger guys during the fight sequences. And because I can make the choices for her, she’s not going to be dumb and run back to a guy who manipulated her. The controls are better than Heavy Rain but still janky with lots of QTEs. Don’t like the combat because it's hard to tell which direction to press at times. Puzzles are very simple, and because there are few things to interact with, there isn’t much challenge to the puzzles. No way to lose. Rather than choices resulting to different consequences, the choices just customize the story. The Somalia level was really well designed. Really great looking faces. Animations are also really good. Walk animations and body language, though the walking gets in the way of the gameplay. Overall I feel like the game really sold it because of Ellen Page and the story was interesting to me. This is not a game for everyone. If gameplay is important to you, this might not be the game for you. I don't want to call this a movie because the interaction helps sell the immersion. I really enjoyed this game. Expand
  96. Dec 16, 2013
    Do not listen to the Critic's reviews on this game. Go ahead and guide your eyes to the User scores, that should get all the information to your brain that you need. This is the most emotional game I have played in a long time. The story draws you in from the start with all the ominous foreshadowing and flash backs.

If you haven't played this game I highly recommend that you make that
    happen. The actors do a phenomenal job with their characters. Play this Game Expand
  97. Dec 15, 2013
    Beyond is not just a game, it is a totally different and commendable interactive and emotive experience. Sometimes too ambitious for its own good, but I loved it and I hope Quantic Dream continues surprising us with their quality.
  98. Dec 15, 2013
    Honestly, this game has everything going for it, a great plot, great character dynamic, great music, great graphics, it is so cinematic and dark and there is such emotion in it, but the one thing I just can't get around is the fact that you can only interact with cutscenes, it makes for a great movie but why would I pay 60 dollars to see a movie? I wish there was more player control instead of just deciding how the story is gonna play out. Shame because this probably plays one of the most important roles in the game. Expand
  99. Dec 14, 2013
    Beyond is definitely one of the top games of 2013, but it is NOT perfect or a masterpiece by any means. If you enjoy story and are looking for a "game" that's different from everything else out there, this is a must buy. I know that some people are complaining about plot holes and such, but none are game destroying by any means. Many can holes could be closed by just using some common sense or suspension of disbelief, which is good enough for me. The acting is great, script is pretty good, and the graphics are fantastic. Go into the game with an open mind and you'll be rewarded. The only things bringing the game down for me are the couple cases of inconsistencies in the story, the sometimes confusing QTE's, and the player choices not having much overall affect on the story other than affecting just that immediate situation. Expand
  100. Dec 13, 2013
    The Game is Beautifull, Amazing Story,Awesome Graphics a AWESOME Gameplay. It's Like Heavy Rain You have to play this game. And now it's one of my Favorite Games Quantic Dreams Is Awesome

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.