• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Oct 12, 2013
    We're living in a time where storytelling in video games is equal to that of movies. In the case of this game the storytelling surpasses that of a movie by making the player fully invested in the characters and their fates through interaction. The story of Jodie and Aiden is an emotional one that's filled with twists, turns, and unforgettable moments. When playing this game I felt such a connection to the characters and events that I actually felt happy, sad, angry, and scared just like the characters in the game.

The way the story is told is also highly impressive. Each level takes part in a different time in Jodie's life, so you will play as adult Jodie only to jump into a part of Jodie's life as a child. The reason this is so impressive is because despite the way it jumps around in time the story is still incredibly easy to follow. Seeing all these different parts of Jodie's life help you care about the character in a way that few other video games have. Even more impressive is how you can effect how the story plays out based on choices you make, adding tons of replay value.

With such a focus on story I'm both impressed and happy to say that gameplay doesn't take back seat. Most of the gameplay revolves around quick-time events and some light (and incredibly easy) puzzle solving, but stealth sections help break up the action. Gameplay might not have been the focus here, but they included just enough to keep player feeling like they're not just watching an interactive novel. My only complaint with the gameplay comes from the more action-oriented quick-time events. Sometimes it's hard to know which way to dodge because the characters movements aren't exactly clear, and I'm not sure that there is a way to die in this game. But like I said gameplay might not have been the focus, but I feel like they did a good job of including it in.

Overall I am highly impressed with Beyond: Two Souls. It's one of the best stories to come out of a game this year and it's a heck of a lot of fun to play. In a time where many would have you to believe that a video game can't tell a story better than a movie or book, Beyond: Two Souls is one of the many games to prove those people wrong. So if you are a gamer who loves a great story, or even someone who's never played a video game but loves a great story, then I highly recommend this game. It's truly one of the most impressive experiences to come out this year.
  2. Nov 11, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is an exceptional videogame. From a narrative standpoint, it really truly delivers upon David Cage's storytelling ambition. Past games like Heavy Rain have always had good intentions but have never been able to sustain coherence or quality through their playtimes. Beyond Two Souls, whilst definitely having the odd rocky moment (an occasional blip of stupidity here, a meaningless interlude there), manages to convince and hold the interest. This is partially due to the way in which the tension is ratcheted up during the final third. Oh yes, the climaxes in Beyond Two Souls are of the truly unforgettable style. It would, of course, be a gross disservice to not point out the excellent vocal performances of Ellen Paige and Willem Dafoe; they really sell their characters with expertise. But the supporting cast, most notably the unsung souls that portray Cole and Ryan also do a fantastic job. The graphical output of the game is impressive but not in a "these are the best graphics I've ever seen on PS3!" sort of way. It looks great but there are certainly PS3 games that look better (The Last of Us, for example). The art design is terrific at times. There's obviously a deep seated love of Sci-Fi at the root of the title and you can catch little visual cues from the likes of Alien, The Abyss, The Thing and many more. Gameplay and control wise, Beyond Two Souls can be a bit hit-or-miss. Earlier sequences in the game (particularly the montage and stealth training sequence) can border on the awful. Likewise, the general way that Jodie controls like a tank in a confined space doesn't help immersion much. However, later QTE fights prove to be excellent and exciting and the one section where you properly implement your stealth training is surprisingly fun. Overall, I came away from Beyond Two Souls with my mouth agape, my eyes brimming with tears and my body eager for another playthrough. Well done Quantic Dream! Excellent stuff indeed. Expand
  3. Dec 27, 2013
    Whether defined as visual novel, interactive movie of video game, Beyond: Two Souls is undoubtedly excellent entertainment. What's more, Quantic Dream have done incredible work pushing the PS3 (by now "outdated hardware" to its limits) with amazingly high production values. As a fan of Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) I can only recommend.
  4. Oct 14, 2013
    A beautiful cinematic game. It plays like a movie and is amazing at its delicate hands. If cinematic movies or very styled graphics get you playing, by 5 hours you'd have been finished
  5. Mar 7, 2014
    For fans of experiments, at least the first hour is highly recommended. Let me just say the camera-work is unique. But then it just keeps going. It's like a movie about walking, 80% of the time. The story affected me emotionally, the graphics made me say "wow" out loud several times, the acting impressed me and kept me engaged. But it's still mainly images of someone walking through sceneries. And it doesn't convey anything about that act. Plus I got stuck in doorways a few times, was stressed out unnecessarily by the QTE button-mashing, and found every single 'puzzle' obvious. It's the most photo-realistic game I've ever played, but aside from graphics, it's barely two-dimensional. Expand
  6. Jan 6, 2014
    I give this game a solid 8 for two reasons: 1) QuanticDream's ambition and courage and 2) The game is good, period. But it is not for everyone. Basically, this is not a "game" as it is much more of a digital experience. Beyond 2 Souls is one HUGE Quick Time Event, where you control the decisions and deal with the repercussions of your acts. This is the tale of a girl who is connected to an entity that gives her paranormal powers. And what a tale... from a small, frightened girl being tested to a fully trained CIA agent, this game tells an incredible story that mixes adrenaline, surprises and, occasionally, terror. One of 2013's best surprises, no question about it. It is not the best game, it won't be Game of the Year, but it is a beautiful effort, a product of love and should not be missed. Expand
  7. Mar 27, 2014
    What a fantastic adventure! I have loved Ellen Paige ever since I saw her in Juno and a game that lets me look at her for 10 hours straight is gonna be a good one in my book hahaha! Seriously, Beyond Two Souls is an enthralling adventure that will sink its teeth into you and not let go! You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll experience some great action; but most of all you will leave the experience with the burning question of " What could have done differently?" That to me is what makes a great game! A story that touches you, brings you in, makes you a part of it and sticks with you long after you have stopped playing! Expand
  8. Dec 7, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a very unique game, the graphics and facial design are quite impressive. The gameplay really puts you in the game and what is annoying at first becomes really fun. This game really focuses on story and gameplay instead of multiplayer and all the social crap that other games use. Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe and the rest of the voice actors where great at delivering outstanding performances, some of my favorite characters where Jodie, Stan, Tuesday(Elisa), Ryan, Nathan, Walter, Jimmy, Cole, an obviously Aiden. Beyond: Two Souls has a really immersive world and was fun to get the platinum after four playthroughs. Overall Score= 83/100 Expand
  9. Dec 21, 2013
    There is no other game like this one. It's a journey. It's a experience. Beyond two souls has one of the best graphics(especially faces are very detailed), amazing soundtrack(Lorne Balfe and Hans Zimmer as composers) and excellent performance from Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. But where beyond two souls fails is it's story and for a story driven game that's not so good. The plot has it's great moments but overall the story is unfocused and confusing. What's most irritating is that the plot leaves too many unanswered questions. Dialog could have been better also and your choices and actions don't have such a great effect on the story. After all this rant I have to say that Beyond two's story has it's moments. The game includes interesting themes like life after death. Well-developed characters with evolving personalities. Expand
  10. Oct 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Concept: Tell the story of Jodie Holmes and her connection to the omnipresent and omniscient entity Aiden through a sporadic tale covering most of her life and bridging several worlds, uncovering some surprisingly deep revelations along the way. A true story of finding yourself as much as finding quality and acceptance in others.

Graphics: Excellently rendered animations and character models, only pulled down in some instances by weaker parallels in still models within the environments. The cinematic work is unparalleled in my opinion, for the most part.

Sound: Between the haunting and minimalistic melodies and the star studded cast, it's truly hard to find fault with what is present for sound quality.

Playability: The quick time contextual sequences work out much more fluidly than in previous Quanitc Dream games utilizing similar sequences of control, however the action moments can often make players lost and disoriented- which, while somewhat intended, can still be quite annoying at times when wrestling with control and chaos.

Entertainment: Despite falling down in the story and gameplay department at times, the game comes together well and has its genuinely impressive and deeply thought-provoking moments of fear, bravery, trust, and sadness.

Replay Value: High.

Overall Score: 8.5
  11. May 23, 2014
    lets start with the negatives and just get them out of the way. because this game was the follow up to heavy rain, we all expected that our choices would have a tremendous role in the story and the ending, unfortunately that is not the case, you do get to make decisions that have immediate effects at the moment, but does change the story at all, huge bummer and a real let down. second negative, some scenes are quite boring and could care less about. now here is everything great about the game, the story is pretty damn good, and very original. the voice acting is some of the best I've ever heard in a game before, and if you don't already know its because the main characters in the game are voiced by ellen page and Wilhelm Dafoe (don't know if I spelt that right) very talented actors. I said that some scenes are boring but the majority of the scenes are so amazing and a lot of them are surprisingly relatable. one thing I think this game did better than heavy rain at was capturing the emotion of the protagonist, now to be fair, heavy rain had four characters that the developers had to focus on while this time around they had one, so it should be expected. I can not say this game is amazing because of the amount of flaws present, but when the game gets it right, it is so emotional and gripping that is so memorable it will make you question your view of life, it is spectacular and makes up for so much more than what people are giving this game credit for. I don't think of this game as a disappointment at all, it is a totally different game than heavy rain, which I think where most of its negativity comes from. you cant compare the two games because they are in reality very different and unique from each other although the gameplay is the similar. and one more, the ending is amazing (in my opinion) despite that it cant really be changed, it is the most thought provoking scene I have ever seen, it kept me thinking for days to come. the ending truly shows how games now a days can actually be considered art Expand
  12. Oct 14, 2013
    People need to understand this is an interactive game like heavy rain and twd, and not expect a cod type shooter. That being said it's one hell of a story, it got me hooked; all but one chapter got me glued to the tv screen. The gameplay has drastically improved from heavy rain a lot more user interaction. Jodie was a very enjoyable and likeable character. I also loved the non-linear story telling, its a great change of pace; heck this whole game was a breath of fresh air. I'm a pretty hardcore gamer and I am starting to get tired of go here kill this in video games. Engaging story, improved gameplay mechanics from heavy rain, the facial animations are one of the best and graphics. The only reason this game isnt a 10, (I believe it could've very easily if it was more of a traditional game) has me drop the game by two scores. I loved the whole Aiden gameplay, and between this, heavy rain and telltale's twd; beyond two soul's is definately the best of interactive story telling game thus far I have ever played. Expand
  13. Oct 29, 2013
    This is a beautiful game, and it is clear that a lot of effort has gone into the environments, characterisation and story. To all the people that are criticising that this doesn't play like normal games, this is an intreractive, strongly narrative driven game that you can effect and see different things depennding on what you do, and never claimed or pretended to be anything else! Seeing and accepting this for what it is and meant to be, it is a very compelling and interesting experience. I particularly love the fact that there's a two player mode, where one player plays as Jodie on one joypad or smart device, and the other player plays as Aiden, the spirit that accompanies her, on another joypad or smart device. Controlling Aiden seems too simplified when played on a smart device, but it is unquestionably nice to have the option and will appeal to casual games immensely. Only one player is in control at any one time, but it's nice to have to not hot swap the controller, and i only wish games like Xcom-Enemy Unknown had a similar controller assigning feature..

The graphics are superb and among the best of this gen, and although they are top notch for the most part, are not so in a few instances, the time in the desert for example. The game is a lot longer than i was expecting, as i feared it would be a short game, but am pleasantly surprised by the length. Special not must go to all the acting in the game, all superb!

As i said, a very compelling interactive story/movie, and one that i would highly recommend playing with your significant other, my girlfriend absolutely loves the game, i believe she said it was her favorite that she's played to date!
  14. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Great looking character models, nice looking environments/lighting, but some low-res textures in the objects. 9.

Sound: Hollywood voice actors, great soundtrack. 10.

Gameplay: The game is filled with quick time events similar to Heavy Rain, although unlike Heavy Rain this game is a complete snorefest. You spend most of the game walking around and going into ghost mode
    to manipulate object, but that is it. The first half of the game feels like a tutorial, and only 1 level in the game actually added average stealth gameplay. The rest is quicktime events and exploring, but the bad part is this game wasn't interesting. 6.

Story: The story is extremely boring, its a mix of playing scene after scene. The way the story is told is horrible. You play a part in the past, then in the future, then back in the past, and it just keeps scrambling the story around. The director thinks he has done something innovative but it is not, it just made the story uninteresting, uninspiring, confusing, and dumb. The only good thing about the game's story is that there is choice, and that there's a good plot twist. Beyond Two Souls trys too hard and never gives the experience that was Heavy Rain. 5.

Replay Value: If you like replaying snorefest scenes, but I sure will not. The game does add co-op so you and a buddy can enjoy the borefest together. I would normally ask that you purchase a game to support this kind of media, but beware this is no Heavy Rain, or Walking Dead, do not purchase this title. The actors do not warrant the price tag. The game case itself tells you that the director just wanted to make a movie and hiring Hollywood actors doesn't make this a good game. 5.

Overall Score: 7 out of 10.
  15. Mar 1, 2014
    A successor to the... success of Heavy Rain, Beyond improved the wrong things and leaved the things that needed improvement, the same. That means that gameplaywise, your actions have little to no impact, there are probably less occasions where your actions matter and they passed the fail line when they decided that the game has no penalty for your mistakes. You can leave your controller down and the game progresses as it would. That's the definition of non-existant gameplay.

If you can overpass all of the above, the game is a marvel. The story is great, impactful and full of emotions, the atmosphere in every area is unbelievable and the visualisation of the artists is excellent. Trully excellent. The art director of this game should be really proud. One section reminded me of the 6th sense, the other Alien, another one is full of mystery and another made me feel like a little girl. Excellent stuff. The graphics have surpassed everything that out there right now. It's jawdropping. It's got the best character models, the best lighting, the best facial animations and character animations... unbelievable naturally moving trees and (not TressFX) hair, amazing skin textures.... This game is the best visual experience you can have on any video game right now. The sound is also excellent and the acting is stellar.

All in all, I enjoyed it as much as I did Heavy Rain, because it too has a lot of emotional sections that have a great impact on the player/viewer. Also, the stealth sections are a step to the right direction. Just give us some gameplay mr. Cage and you'll have your perfect scores.
  16. Mar 24, 2014
    What is there left to say about the games of David Cage? He's obviously passionate about games as an art form, but much like Ed Wood, he fails to understand what makes his medium truly great.

Interactivity is the whole basis of video games. You're not being told a story, you're LIVING that story. It can provide extremely interesting situations for players and add lots of replayability.
    This is where all of Quantic Dreams' efforts fail. These stories are very linear, with Beyond leading the pack as the most linear of all of them.

Jodie Holmes is the star of the story, possessing strange paranormal powers. We follow her through her life and explore what led her to where she is today. With the help of htis paranormal entity known as "Aiden", Jodie is thrust into adventure and drama as she tries to live her life. Beyond is another of the "Your choices matter" type of games that have been plaguing the industry ever since Mass Effect and Bioshock popularized the concept. In this, though, your choices never really feel like they impact the story. It always seems like Cage is more concerned with telling you his narrative than letting you discover your own.

Jodie's character is never really built-up because the game can't decide where to go with its story. It's almost laughable just how silly it is to see Jodie trying to speak to a native kid over in Syria (or wherever they were). It's a shame because there are very good sequences in the game, such as the homeless section, that actually say a lot by staying silent. Other sequences, however, are just the worst they can come. In-particular, the war sequence, the birthday party, many of the child sequences, and the rape are just cringe-worthy writing that even the most exploitative of works don't attempt.

The chronology of Beyond is strange, as it's told out of sequence for no apparent reason. All it seems to use this for is to place important plot information in a flashback right before the level where you need said information. Seems like an afterthought more than a narrative tool.

And lastly, the gameplay of Beyond. Largely consisting of QTE's and occasional (and I do mean occasional) ghost segments, there's not much else to talk about. There are very few times where you can actually fail the mission objectives. As a matter of fact, the game crashed more than I lost on the normal difficulty, a total of three times. The game is restrictive rather than limited with its gameplay segments and once again makes me wonder why these elements aren't used in a budget game that could be produced faster and cheaper and still retain the same quality apart from graphics.

For the third time in a row, Cage has made an uninteresting mess of game that has the foundation of potential surrounding it. If he would just listen to his critics instead of shoehorning his ideas wherever he sees fit, he may just be able to make a truly great and unforgettable game. For now, Beyond doesn't succeed at a single thing it attempts aside from graphics.

Want games with branching pathlines and choices that matter? Try Fallout: New Vegas or Virtues Last Reward.

Want games with excellent stories and good dialogue? Try Deus Ex or Spec Ops: The Line.

Want a game with QTE's and not much else? Try Beyond: Two Souls.
  17. Oct 29, 2013
    this game is not perfect, ok, however, it is amazing and beautiful. The story is amazing, the graphics are superb with no FPS issues, the characters are deep, I felt all kinds of emotions while playing, it's a must buy definitely, however, the ending is out of sync with the prologue, the beginning of the game is clumsy and a bit nonsensical to start with, and the controls are a bit clunky. This, however, is one of the best gaming experiences of 2013, if this generation! Definitely a must buy, but what more would I expect from the makers of Heavy Rain? Expand
  18. Oct 11, 2013
    With Beyond: Two Souls, Quantic Dream have taken away the rough edges of Heavy Rains interactivity and provided us with a beautiful story, world and performances from some of the film industry’s best actors. Offering a truly interactive cinematic experience.
  19. Nov 1, 2013
    The game looks great both ingame and during cutscenes with only the occasionally bad texture or two. Surprisingly the acting on everyone's part isn't anything special (and I'm a big fan of both Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe and the dialogue is also pretty basic and disinteresting. The story contains some good ideas and moments but is undone by the following: jarring shifts in tone ranging from horror, to sci-fi, to drama, to thriller, and so on. What's worst is that nothing happens in order and as such, you find it very hard to care about what's going on even the story. I wish the game had been mostly chronological. The gameplay is mostly contextual acitons and sometimes it works, others it doesn't. Controlling Aiden is a lot of fun though and this is the kind of game where playing with friends around makes for some decent entertainment. I don't think Beyond Two Souls is a bad game but I'm not super into it either. Still enjoyed it for what it's worth though. Expand
  20. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond two souls is an incredible gaming experience the story is a well driven emotional rollercoaster. Once again quantic dream delivered a brilliant and incredible game. They deliver a game which has an outstanding story supported by a brilliant cast Ellen Page did an incredible job as Jodie Holmes. The graphics is mind blowing the detail is incredible. The controls is easy to adapt to. This has to be one of the greatest games I have ever played and one of the best games of 2013. Simply ignore the bad reviews those people don't know what a good game is about. Beyond two souls was a great expierence if u loved heavy rain then beyond two souls is for u. This is a must have game for every die hard gamer of a PS3. Expand
  21. Jun 9, 2014
    Beyond es un juego con gran trama y buenas ideas. La cosa parece que va a dar bastante más de si pero al final las decisiones son limitadas y sólo queda disfrutar de la brillante historia y el espectacular apartado gráfico. En cualquier caso mejora la excesiva rigidez de heavy rain pero le sigue faltando camino.
  22. Oct 8, 2013
    This game is fantastic! Just like heavy rain was and Indigo prophecy before it. Great graphics, story, gameplay everything! Everyone should play this game even if you're not a gamer experience this masterpiece! It's definitely worth the money reminds me a bit of the movie Carrie. Overall I recommend it I would say more but I'm not going to spoil things just know that you're not just buying a game... You are getting an experience. Expand
  23. Oct 11, 2013
    A daring epic. David Cage goes where no creative game director has ever dared to go. Beyond: Two Souls is a game unlike any other. A crowning masterpiece in storytelling, writing and performance. This is surely Ellen Page's greatest performance yet, an outstanding performance. Willem Dafoe also gives spectacular performance, giving it his best in every scene. Beyond: Two Souls is one hell of a journey, crazy, emotional, unbelievable, unpredictable journey. And surprisingly, it ends as if there might be potential for a sequel??? Hmm. Imagine the possibilities of what could happen next. If you have a PS3, Beyond: Two Souls is an amazing game (that feels like it's even more than that) that should definitely not be missed. An incredible and, once again, daring, step forward for the evolution of storytelling in video games. Bravo, David Cage, bravo. Oh, and I think I've fallen in love with Ellen Page... I'm pretty sure David expected that to happen. Thanks for that. Expand
  24. Dec 26, 2013
    Dont go in expecting F.E.A.R. chills. Think of it like a classic point and click adventure (with some point and click 'action' bits) and you won't be disapointed. The story is good, but you'll probably guess it well before the end. The characters, story telling, graphics and sound are excellent. Pacing is good. You will remember some scenes for a long time. Its like a solid, well made interactive movie. Expand
  25. Aug 14, 2014
    This movie had potential to be a game, but failed in that department. It was an interactive story at most and the fact that it had movie-theme credits at the end shows how it was developed. Even Heavy Rain was better than this. Overall a good storyline but confusing ending(s), that seem to imply a sequel (possibly), but if that was do happen, would not play it. Would recommend watching a walkthrough before considering to get an idea of what you're getting into. Expand
  26. Dec 5, 2013
    I believe giving 10 to this game is over rating and giving zero is under rating. We need to become more mature.
    The game falls between 5 and 8. any score between 5 and 8 should be somehow reasonable.
    The game is new for me. First time to do this type of gameplay. And I do have mixed feelings about it. But generally I liked it and I don't mind play it again.
    The controls aren't
    challenging at all. just sometimes confusing. And thankfully the game doesn't punish you for failing. Except for few areas. I felt is somehow realistic. As you aren't supposed to be super hero. And if you are then you truly managed your controller very well and you deserve it :)
    Ok the Story. Very interesting story. But I think Cage got too excited and didn't deliver what he really wanted to tell. Making the story fragile. I didn't like the jumps in the timeline. I would prefer it playing it in ordered sequence. For example in Homeless chapter I wanted to know why Jodie run away. She said that she was being used. I wanted to know how and in what way. And actually I would prefer to know that before playing this chapter.

Decisions you made in the game has no effect in anyway. It just could change the game play but not how the story will flow. Decisions and conversation control are there just to keep you interacting with the game and cut scenes

Acting in superior. All actors. Homeless chapter was fantastic in acting.
    I agree that there are moments that where boring in the game. Specially when you replay a chapter. You just wish to be able to skip few parts. You already knew.

Saving. Why I can't pause and save my game! This one feature I really would love to have. I wanted to be able to save at some point to be able to return and restart from that point. I don't want to replay a whole chapter to just do one single different action.

It's not easy to like this game and if you do you'll love it so much. And if not you'll just hate it.
    I gave it 6.5 on IGN and I will give it here 7

One last thing. Please guys be mature in reviewing. don't score games just because it's score is too low or too high. No need to be fan boys. This game isn't 10 nor zero. It's a good game. But got missed up for some reason. And this is acceptable. No need to be radical.
  27. Oct 13, 2013
    More movie like game Heavy Rain certainly had not only good sides but it was a lot better as this game. What bothers me is that it must specifically I am only in a movie, and the only player to push off and a few buttons. Even without this end the actions always good. The game offers a lot to see but it still is for me a game and the way it should be played. Conclusion: Too much film and very little gameplay elements. Expand
  28. Feb 27, 2014
    It was enjoyable, but not nearly as much as Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit.
    For those that don't know these are games of same people that made this one.

Those previous games were less about saving the world (Fahrenheit was, but only near the ending, which sucked horribly anyway) and more about characters dealing with their falling apart for some reason. It was about interaction between
    different characters - here you only play Jodie&Aiden.

It lacked...I don't know...intrigue? Something to keep you on your toes. Maybe it was because the story was presented this awkwardly - it ruined my immersion sometimes. Interesting way to present a story, but I think it was too fragmented and would prefer chronological presentation.

QTE were much bettter than thier previous games without retarted flashing colors Fahrenheit had. Nice job here.

Jodie is an interesting character, and Aiden too, I'm glad they've explained WHY Aiden was with her all the time. Other characters felt really nicely developed too ! I especially liked Nathan and Cole, yeah they were probably a little bit cliche, but still great characters.

They wrapped up the plot nicely. Multiple endings of which most made sense. Potential hint of future sequel maybe ?

It gets a solid 7/10 from me.
    And for those who are bashing this game for its story....maybe try Call of Duty. Something with a story more fit for your intellectual possibilities.
  29. Oct 22, 2013
    This isn't really a game, let's be honest. This is the same kind of thing that existed when the SEGACD was in vogue and suddenly you could produce interactive movies and the public would gasp and applaud at the technological marvel of it all.

Beyond: Two Souls is exactly that; an interactive movie. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and to be fair it doesn't pretend to be anything
    other than an interactive movie. But it isn't a game. There's no element of challenge or dynamism about the title. This is painting by numbers, the PS3 version.

The reason they market this as a game where you occasionally press X to plod the movie along is because as a standalone movie it wouldn't sell (because of the shoddy story and poor presentation more than anything else!), so they're relying on gamers to think that by pressing the odd button every five minutes that they're involved some how.

And that's why you're getting people using descriptions such as "masterpiece", "beautiful", "emotional" etc. because they've been conned into thinking they've played through something meaningful.

I've heard people say that "it's a good change of pace", that somehow doing next to nothing is a GOOD thing, but you know what you could do if you wanted such a change of place? Watch an actual movie and one with a much, much better storyline than this to boot. Heavy Rain had a bit of substance, so you could arguably get drawn in to the 'whodunnit' aspect of it.

Graphically it is lacklustre to say the least. The controls for the limited amount of "gameplay" here are a jumbled, confused afterthought.

Beyond: Two Souls is 'game' that should be getting poor reviews on Rotten Tomatoes rather than any gaming website. It is ultimately uninspired; full of pretence and very little substance. This review will get hammered by most who have 'played' the game, because they'll be indoctrinated by the pretence on show here, but make no mistake, this is a stinker of a title that you should avoid at all costs.
  30. Oct 9, 2013
    Positive:Graphics even better than crysis3 pc version overall especially the characters,cloth...
    facial emotions/technology is amazing!,music is pretty good,Aiden.Page,Dafoe Story is pretty interesting.
    Hungarian language! little jodie/homless/broken chapter! was my favorite the homless people was so friendly to jodie its like jodie real friends/parents.And the little jodie was veeeery
    cute i loved her.
    Negative:Something is very forced in the game, even if you doing the missions "differently" the outcome is pretty same or a little change. Romance plots is forced its prety ugly for me im a guy so i don't wanna watch a videogame character guys ass front of me its disgusting if i want to watch something like that i go and watch porn.Ryan is the worst charater he always "love" me even if i told him to back off and im not "love you" the story is too linear... and confusing,too short.so overall Heavy Rain was better.But still a masterpiece thats for sure!.
  31. Oct 26, 2013
    A major let-down compared to Heavy Rain;- one of Quantic Dream's finest hours. Beyond: Two Souls fails to match the spirit and style and instead is a disjointed mess that is lacking in narrative and gameplay elements. Heavy Rain was incredibly unique with a stunning atmosphere and engrossing story. The interactive elements were neatly implemented as was the depth behind decisions and actions. Two Souls strips all the positives of Heavy Rain and delivers a disappointing interactive movie with minimal gameplay activity and an uninspiring story. If you can appreciate the sheer effort in the product as demonstrated; you may enjoy it more but for those looking for a game with a thrilling story should look elsewhere. Disappointing to say the least. Expand
  32. Oct 11, 2013
    disjointed mess without any game play at all. It doesn't even qualify to be called an adventure game. That is actually coming from someone who liked Indigo Prophecy and thought Heavy Rain was ok.
  33. Jun 7, 2014
    The graphics are nothing to complain about and the story has some lags where I lose interest. Some things I don't like Limited Gameplay as Jodie. The walking controls for Jodie aren't great. Playing as Aiden was fun for a short time but it quickly gets boring. And when you play as Jodie (should of picked another name for her considering the Jodie murder trials) there is VERY little you can do with her so you mostly play as Aiden like I said before gets boring really quick. I couldn't finish the game because I quickly lost interest. Expand
  34. Oct 19, 2013
    Although it boasts a great storyline, acting, script and graphics, I still left the game very disappointed that I paid for the Special Edition version. The game itself I completed in half a day, it was way too short for me, and the extra 30 minutes of gameplay that came with the Special Edition is nothing but a con as you can complete the level in ten minutes.

The game is good but it
    didn't reach the levels I felt Heavy Rain met. Expand
  35. Oct 27, 2013
    Excellent cinematic experience with great presentation and story. I didn't like the cheap scares seemed dumb to me at the time. Enjoyed the story, which was even touching at times. The reviews spectrum is very wide so I suggest you get it if you have played and liked Heavy Rain (to me, one of the best games ever).
  36. Oct 11, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is perfect. It has a mixture of every genre (military action, horror, fantasy, drama, sci-fi). Not sure what more you could want. The story is so gripping that even if my controller was turned off the whole time I wouldn't have minded. It affected me on an emotional level that I haven't really experienced in a game before, there are times when you have to make choices and it truly kills you to do so because each and every character is so relate-able and the dialogue is flawlessly written. This game has been truly robbed of the status is deserved by the critics, after playing it, what I'm reading is nothing but an absolute abomination.
    Amazing work Quantic Dream, ignore the bad reviews and keep making incredible games, your originality and spectacular attention to detail is beyond what most developers neglect to do successfully these days.
  37. Jun 30, 2014
    An amazing game. I'm not sure why it didn't get the praise of Heavy Rain, but it was an incredible experience. The story was interesting, and well told, though due to the nature of cutting between memories, the order of events can be rough to piece together. Despite the names of each memories being shown in a timeline, it's easy to forget which memory is which and everything than happened at the time.

The motion capture and acting is unbelievable, and only wish such technology could used used in such an effective way for a survival horror (Last Of Us is not that).

So to start with the good: the action is amazing, the slower parts are engrossing, and the element of choice is so strong, every decision is second guessed. I won't have time to play every type of decision and ending again, but like with Heavy Rain, I'll always intend to replay again in the future if I ever find the time.
    There is a lot of variety in this game, Some levels seem so different and unrelated to the main story arc, that it's easy to lose track of the direction of the main plot. Also the visual styles between different levels are so different that it feels like every type of terrain or weather has been exhausted within this game.
    The main characters are interesting, with emotional depth, and full of soul (pun intended), that only could've come from such amazing actors and motion capture artists.
    Obviously Cage is a director and writer unlike any other, and his games/art are worthy of all the praise they receive and more.
    The visuals and atmosphere of the game are incredible, and this is definitely a game that's hard to put down.
    The fluidity of the story upon making a game-changing decision is a triumph, and despite the slightly jarring nature of jumping between memories in time, every change feels like it has a big impact, and there's nothing that feels "this decision would've brought out the same outcome".

However I do need to raise the negative points. Aside from the briefly mentioned jarring nature of jumping around in time, my biggest issue with this game was controls. I'm a huge fan of the unique and interactive nature of the gesture controls that David Cage's games use, especially on the PS3. Heavy Rain had a brilliant tutorial introduction level, and I don't recall ever having issues understanding what needed to be pressed during a scene. Fahrenheit was also pretty simple to grasp the controls of. However I really found myself struggling at times with Beyond Two Souls. Most of the time, all that exists to indicate an interactive element is a dot, and while usually it stands out well, and is easy to trigger, I found anything that even resembled a white dot (reflection of light, a bump on an object, etc) caused me to waste time trying to interact with it. Also the dot element changed in functionality at random times. The single white dot usually just meant I needed to swing the right stick towards the dot to interact, but whenever I saw a blue dot, I found myself getting a little confused. A blue dot means you need to lock on with L1, which is fine, but then this produces 2 more dots. Sometimes you are expected to bring the two dots together, sometimes apart from each other, sometimes over different characters, sometimes together onto a certain point against resistance, and sometimes to push the dots together, away from the blue dot. Then even this differs, in some cases you must push the two white dots towards the blue dot and let go, sometimes away from the blue dot, and hold, and sometimes away from the blue dot, and fling back forward, and then I also found there were times I was expected to bring away from the blue dot together, but then let go, sort of like releasing a stretched elastic band.

While all these movements are achievable, and fine, the indication of which to do where is not clear, and a lot of time there is a time limit where if you don't choose the correct interaction, your game will change completely, with the story changing for the negative.
    I found myself redoing a certain desert-based missions multiple times simply because the game refused to accept what I was trying to do, only because it wasn't clear what my options were.
    I found this incredibly frustrating, and this is a regular type of interaction that becomes infuriating during the time-sensitive moments.

Also,there are times where the game will give you an option "say nothing, do nothing" which you physically have to choose, but then other times you simply have to do nothing and wait a minute for the choice to be made. This can really break gameplay as instead of being drawn into the emotion of the moment, you're trying to figure out what options you actually have available to you. If there was a little more consistency it'd have been appreciated. I understand it was to make the game not too repetitive, but it ended up just being a source of frustration.

Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and hope to replay.
  38. Dec 23, 2013
    I tried, twice so far, to get into Heavy Rain, and it just didn't click with me. However, Beyond: Two Souls, was, imo, a fantastic ride. While the story did, at some points, go a bit too far out, even for me, I still enjoyed it immensely, and ontop of that the mocap, voice acting, lip sync, graphics, aesthetics, soundscape was all amazing. With regards to the story I would have liked it to be more coherent, but I guess it fits the story as broken and chaotic as it is, also that does give a break in the combat/action sequences. All in all this was a great game, or maybe rather experience, I cannot wait for the next quantic dream title for that hopefully is being made for PS4. This year saw me buy both a PS3 and a PS4 (previously exclusively PC gamer), definitely not regretting going with sony here, keep 'em comin'. Expand
  39. Mar 8, 2014
    Beyond Two Souls was not so popular game, such as Heavy Rain, but still, it was quite better from some views than Heavy Rain, but not as better as it.
    The graphic is awesome, the best I could say for the late of 2013. The cinematics are great and the performance of the two Hollywood actors was cool. But nevertheless, the gameplay eclipsed those several better things than Heavy Rain; The
    story is nice, but this reversal of the chapters and the transformation of Jodie decepted a lot of players. However, this was not the worst thing, but the fact that whatever you do, you cannot die, as Aiden helps you all the time, and this made the game worse, not realistic. Quantic dream tried to make Beyond Two Souls a mixture between psychological, adventure and horror genre, but I guess the combat from this adventure of the game made it a bit hard to swallow.
    I have to praise the performance of Ellen Page; even they took a not-so-popular actress, she made her role so good.
    I can say that the game could be much better, certainly better than Heavy Rain, if David Cage would polish a bit the gameplay and the concept.
    Therefor, I give it an 8, rating it very good.
  40. Oct 11, 2013
    A game like GTA V gets relatively no articles nor low scores for its overrated story and violence which is more closer to reality then this game or any other. Yet Beyond Two Souls gets mentioned in an article for its violence and then reviewed poorly. Media is killing the real art as we know it. Yeah it doesn't have much gameplay as you would expect..it plays more like a shooting arcade/gallery game (think Virtual Cop or House of the dead), with bits of walking, but its the story and characters that matter most. There is interaction which classifies it as a game and I for one love it and highly recommend it to anyone who appreciates great storytelling and compelling characters. The highlights were the charming Ellen Page, acting veteran Willem Dafoe and of course Aiden especially. Beautiful graphics that make the PS3 still shine and wonderful moments of human perseverance. Expand
  41. Oct 8, 2013
    NEVER in all my years have I seen a game like Beyond: Two Souls. I just wished it was on PC. It is the game of the decade. People talk about games like Call Of Duty(Great Game), GTA(Another Great Game) and Fifa, but all these games are either about killing, living a reckless gangstar life or sports(not that their bad). We've seen them all, and frankly, we've grown used to and tired of them. But Beyond: Two Souls is just what we need now. A game which has different storylines based on the player's decisions? Awesome! Having to be a human (Jodie) and an entity Aiden)? Double Awesome! And to be able to connect with the characters and truly understand them? Triple Awesome. I'm more of a critic but this is the only game I've seen that's better than GTA V, Assassin's Creed 3 and Call Of Duty 6. It's PERFECT! Expand
  42. Oct 10, 2013
    Very weak title. For a game there is basically no gameplay. For a movie, it is too slow and story not interesting. For a interactiv movie, there is not much of interactivity. (this is caused by the story structure, where you actually play the future parts before you can play the parts before them, that could affect them without linear structure the interactivity is really not working). And as a tech-demo, there are texture pop-ups and framedrops including some short (0,5 1sec) freezes caused by the background loadings.
    I really liked the Heavy Rain. But the Beyond has basically all the bad aspect of the Heavy Rain. But unfortunately it is missing to parts that were great in Heavy Rain (interesting story and interactivity that could affect story few scenes later.)
  43. Oct 9, 2013
    Well, this is a game, this is not a movie, this is a 50/50 game. Half game half movue and this is great, if you like Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead you will like this too, I'm sure. @gamesreflexoes
  44. Oct 15, 2013
    Play the game before you read anything. It is beautiful. This has to be 150 characters so I am just going to add stuff here but seriously, dont read anything to spoil this beautiful story about life.
  45. Jan 17, 2014
    Wanted to like it more than I actually did, especially because Heavy Rain is one of my favourite games of all time. But the non-linear storyline is weak and you feel as though your choices don't matter - the player is robbed of what makes games unique - agency - as they're just trying to get to the next scene. The QTE "flick the stick" is too streamlined and unsatisfying as well.
  46. Oct 24, 2013
    I know graphics isn't the only thing we judge a game on, but you can't ignore the fact that Beyond has from the most beautiful graphics any PS3 game has produced. Although I did feel that the game lagged in places, that the camera angles were weird at times and the story was all over the place at certain spots. I still loved this game. The action sequences to me felt great, and found that moving the joystick work perfect. When it tried to be Heavy Rain, it was awesome.. but when it tried to be mainstream game, it fell flat. And like many have said, the quieter moments were the most impactful and they will never be forgotten. Well done David Cage and Quantic Dream for a real and unique experience in gaming. Expand
  47. Oct 11, 2013
    When it comes to some games some do make enticing and amazing stories. But when it comes to Beyond Two Souls it's a bit like Heavy Rain but with less of an objective in mind. It's bland, confusing, and characters are robotic with drop of life. Beyond's gameplay is even boring and lifeless, as the controls either have you just pressing in on the sticks or pulling them out. This game had real potential, but it fell flat as it was boring and not interesting. Expand
  48. Dec 24, 2013
    My PS3 Game of the Year for 2013! Wow! The realism blew me away. To think this level of graphics and life-like character modelling is possible on a piece of outdated hardware (yes, the PS3), is unbelievable. Sure, I've just completed The Last of Us before playing this. But, wow, I didn't expect to be more amazed at this game. The emotions that is conveyed through the digitized version of Ellen Page is so strong. I cried at a few of the more touching junctures. You know, I love movies, but to be able to be a part of a movie, and have your decisions and actions affect the "movie", is really somethin special. I want a sequel to this beautiful interactive "movie". I love everything about this game, except the story was being told in a haphazard manner where the sequence of events are not played out in chronological manner, but in a jumbled-up manner. In conclusion, this is one unique game. Totally worth the experience! Expand
  49. Oct 8, 2013
    For all of David Cage's attempts to make games into movies, why can he not write, and why are the controls so goddamn obnoxious and horrible?

This game has lovely visuals and pretty good acting performances, but GODDAMN the controls are absolutely horrendous in ways they shouldn't be. Just moving your character feels like the most disgusting thing ever due to how poor the controls are.
  50. Jan 7, 2014
    If you look at the 10/10 reviews for the game on Metacritic, you see such lines as "maybe a interactive novel", "Best cinematic game ever", and "interactive drama". I'm quoting this because I want to make it clear that Beyond Two Souls is not really a game in the traditional sense, and I'm not trolling by giving it a 0. What this is is a $60 movie. For my money, if I want to watch a movie, I'll pay about 1/10th the price to see it in a theater or 1/20th the price to rent it. I don't see the advantage to using video games to simply tell a story. I do realize that some people enjoy this "game", but I just don't understand why it had to be a game at all. Could it not have been enjoyable as a movie? Did it have to be a $60 title? I'm giving it a zero, though, because I didn't even think the story was very good. Expand
  51. Oct 15, 2013
    I saw too many ones complaining that there are no consequences failing an action, that there is no game over or whatsoever, that the game still go onward even failing something, I wonder if these BIG MINDS have thought that SOMETHING COULD CHANGE between successfully completing one action or failing it completely... of course the game keeps going on the same but wonder a bit if something could have been different succesfully completing an action...please. I wonder if the game has been made for an higher IQ tier than the average of the gamers here complaining is.

My only complaint goes to Aiden's movement which I find it could have been slightly improved, everything else is a true masterpiece and I'm gonna rate this game 10 out of 10 to help close the mouth to "closed mind" ones.

After a second playthrough I have to admit it completely, David Cage is a visionary genius and I invite every "professional" non "oiled" reviewer to take a look at this interview http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-09/04/david-cage-beyond-two-souls maybe this could clear their view on the "consequences" of actions and on the "why" people playing this game could feel to actually watch a movie while instead their are playing a game, is an interview in which Cage explains why every playthrough is a set piece of experience and why someone playing the game could experience something that other ones playing the very same game doesn't, the basis on which I can legit BS every "review" complaining about a game which is way too sophisticated to be understood at a first glance, this game can be played ten times without digging everything's inside, simply DO NOT LISTEN TO DETRACTORS AND LIVE THIS EXPERIENCE if you have an open mind and enough sensitivity, you won't regret it, just don't expect a classic FPS or TPS nor compare this game to more usual ones, here the skills are not everything and are put under test in a different way, hormone-driven teenagers, FPS lovers and basic minds should avoid it.

Thanks D. Cage, I must repeat myself, you are a visionary genius and this game have just only one BIG defect, sooner or later it comes to an end.
  52. Dec 20, 2013
    Excellent acting by Ellen Page, Willem Defoe and other main characters were good, minor characters weren’t as good, but I feel like Ellen Page's performance really helped sell the game and I would say she probably has one of the best performances in any video game so far. The story is interesting with paranormal and some sci fi element, though the nonsequential story doesn’t really help in all instances. It feels all over the place, especially with there being smaller plots that don’t all have something to do with each other. The Navajo storyline, for the most part, seems like it has little to do with the rest of the game. Another complaint is that the game feels slow at times. I do like Jodie’s character, it’s more believable than Lara Croft. They train Jodie, which explains why she can take on bigger guys during the fight sequences. And because I can make the choices for her, she’s not going to be dumb and run back to a guy who manipulated her. The controls are better than Heavy Rain but still janky with lots of QTEs. Don’t like the combat because it's hard to tell which direction to press at times. Puzzles are very simple, and because there are few things to interact with, there isn’t much challenge to the puzzles. No way to lose. Rather than choices resulting to different consequences, the choices just customize the story. The Somalia level was really well designed. Really great looking faces. Animations are also really good. Walk animations and body language, though the walking gets in the way of the gameplay. Overall I feel like the game really sold it because of Ellen Page and the story was interesting to me. This is not a game for everyone. If gameplay is important to you, this might not be the game for you. I don't want to call this a movie because the interaction helps sell the immersion. I really enjoyed this game. Expand
  53. Oct 15, 2013
    Though it's no Heavy Rain, Quantic Dreams latest venture into the world of interactive drama is still (at its best) a memorable experience that will be yet another fond memory of the final days of the PlayStation 3 generation.

The game itself is hard to categorize as an actual game, as there does not necessarily have to be a winner and/or a loser, David Cages' story just wants to be
    told and experienced and though you make choices along the way, in terms of things like the way conversations unfold, the outcome rarely differs.

I think that the first main problem with the game is that the story feels in places, forced. There were several parts of the game that were in fact some of the longer chapters, that felt unnecessary. Though they may have been intended to contribute to character development, the in game version of Ellen Page which I controlled for the (around) 10hr story was often just a reflection of my personality, and where I had choice in what to say or do, I would proceed with the actions that I saw fit, and not what the character would do.

Don't get me wrong, I love the element of choice in the game, and the fact that the story proceeded in such a way, despite my control in some areas, it was something that I still managed to enjoy.

Gameplay has been simplified since the days of Heavy Rain, and this is a problem, things that would have once posed a challenge, like having to hold five buttons on the controller simultaneously, are now gone.

Performances by Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe are top notch, and there are some definite notable mentions with several side characters.
    The score is perfectly melded to the overall game, and Hans Zimmer delivers yet another successful soundtrack.

The overall experience is an enjoyable piece that deserves a play-through if for nothing but the excellent performances.
  54. Oct 11, 2013
    It started strong, was intriguing and held my interest. I played it two player with my wife and we had fun, but as the story developed it started to show how poorly written it was. Small details at first followed by odd reactions (apparently suicide is a-ok?) leading up to a frustratingly dumb ending and reveal. We rented it with the intention of buying if it was good to add to our collection, this will not make it. Long story short, it wasn't worth the rental price to us. Expand
  55. Nov 16, 2013
    This... interactive movie... isn't bad, it just isn't that good either. I guess it's supposed to be about story but you really lose the immersion every time you commit any action, because every action you commit has the TV basically screaming at you 'YOU ARE IN A VIDEO GAME SO MASH THE CORRESPONDING BUTTON QUICKLY WITHIN THE TIMEFRAME OR YOU WILL PROBABLY NOT REALLY GET PUNISHED AT ALL'.

For me it completely ends any immersion and it's becoming all to common in video games. Rely on your gameplay to create spectacular moments!

Anyway, like I said, it isn't bad, the story is relatively interesting in it's own way, though I doubt it will stick with you for long, it certainly didn't me.

It doesn't help that for me, and other I know, this game followed on from The Last of Us.
  56. Oct 26, 2013
    I really wanted this game to be better... It's hard to review this, and after Quantic Dream made Heavy Rain I wanted this game to have an awesome story, that did not happen. The voice acting? Not so good, except for Ellen Page, and some times, she too feels a little bit out of place, to be honest. David Cage wrote games in the past, and it's hard to understand how Neil Druckmann, who wrote The Last Of Us, did a much better job considering it was his first time. The combat system is messy, the gameplay is the same comparing with Heavy Rain, and the graphics are amazing really. But I wanted something better, and I know that a lot of people were expecting something more of this game. I never felt apart of the story until the two decisions in the very end, which was sad, Heavy Rain was better on that approach. Overall a decent game, but could have been so much better, it's a shame really. Expand
  57. May 22, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is very a very disappointing follow-up to Heavy Rain. The story this time around is a cluttered mess, the gameplay is not as compelling, and the characters are boring. You know you're game is in trouble when the best part is the musical score.
  58. Oct 15, 2013
    In trying to redefine what a videogaming experience can be, Beyond stumbles where Heavy Rain before it, excelled. Take for instance the homeless chapter. In the sequence, you walk down a short street where the following happens. You enter a restaurant where you're told to beat it and eff off, you jimmy a newspaper machine for a few coins, get propositioned and escape from an alleyway, then come across another homeless person with a guitar, where you play a lovely tune for some money, which you end up beating up some young adults for after its taken. What a random, jarring series of events. Is that supposed to reflect the randomness of life? And the fight mechanics can be hard to control because of camera angles. But what does it matter, since you can't die? So matter how well or badly you react, there's no reason to do better. The motion capture and acting of Ellen Page is very well done, and it helps us get over the more "non-interactive" moments. But as far as a gaming experience, I'll take Heavy Rain over this. Expand
  59. Oct 15, 2013
    This is the epitome of a good game. You could tell the developers really cared about what they were putting out. The whole time I was playing this I thought, how is the PS3 even capable of rendering these amazing images? It was so stunningly beautiful and well thought out. The acting in this is superb. Whether it's Ellen Page, Willem Dafoe and even the actress who played little Jodie was amazing. The perfect hybrid of a game and a cinematic. Expand
  60. Oct 9, 2013
    Wow, what a brilliant game. I'm surprised they were able to make this game looks this good on this really old hardware. The graphics and animations were top-notch. The story was emotionally gripping and beautifully written. Ellen Page & William Dafoe did a fantastic job doing the motion captures & voices for their characters. Quantic Dream developed an innovative & unique experience that you will never see anywhere else. It is refreshing to see a game like this being released in an era full of shooters. If you're a fan of great story-telling, I highly recommend this game. It's one of my favourites of all-time now. Definitely a GOTY contender. Expand
  61. Oct 10, 2013
    The narrative is a bit disjointed, but can I say how much fun it was to play a videogame as Ellen Page?
    It was great. Especially as a person who mainly plays videogames when I'm sick on the couch, I loved not having to memorize 100 controls. Visuals were fantastic. David Cage keep making games.
  62. Oct 10, 2013
    Good graphics Amazing story,O.K gameplay and interesting characters. the gameplay was very weak and i mean very and overall it was great except it felt too much of a movie not more of a game
  63. Jun 21, 2014
    A misunderstood experience. I looks stunning, sounds stunning and plays, very, very well. It's not perfect and it is more of an interactive movie than a video game but it is still worth while. Beyond has a very intriguing story, it's well told and I appreciated the way it was told. I liked Heavy Rain more but this is still excellent. 8/10
  64. Oct 9, 2013
    I really really wanted to like this game, but I was very disappointed with how poorly this games story was handled and how weak the gameplay was.
    The way the story was broken up into different pieces and mixed up made everything so confusing for me to follow and the gameplay was just not good, I made so many mistakes with the slow mo segments with Jodie because I could not read her
    movements half the time.
    Most of the other characters were weak and I had less options to that of Heavy Rain.
    One of the most negative things about the game for me was that the game just wouldn't work anymore, I stopped playing last night and got up this to morning to play and the game just would not load the level I left off at, I restarted the game and still would not work. The game was broken for me.
    The only positive things about this game for me was the performance of Ellen Page and of course the great visuals of the game.
    I'm sad to say this is likely my final PS3 Exclusive game I'll play before I get a PS4 and I have already returned it for a full refund.
    I hate to say this but Beyond Two Souls is on my Most Disappointing Games of 2013 list.
  65. Oct 8, 2013
    Beyond two souls is a beautiful game and sadly that's the only good thing you can say about this "game".
    When i sat down with beyond two souls in my hand i did not expect ending up so disappointed as i did this is nothing but a movie since the choices you make does not matter at all and gameplay wise it's dreadful!
    If this was a 15$ game i would have been happy but for 60$ AAA game i
    expected more then 9 hours of cutscene for a story that is dull and has been done in many movies before! Expand
  66. Oct 8, 2013
    I am not even going to call this a game because it is flat out not a game. I was able to beat this movie incredibly early on and I am incredibly disappointing with the complete lack of any semblance of actual new game-play. So why pay 60 dollars for a movie with horrendous game-play when you can simply watch the entire thing on youtube for free?
  67. Feb 24, 2014
    I was interested in purchasing this game after seeing the first trailer and seeing it was done by the same studio who made Heavy Rain. Overall, graphic-wise its Beautiful to look at with great voice acting performances from Ellen Page and William Defoe but it is ultimately undone by an all-over-the-place and downright silly plot and weird controls that even a casual gamer like me couldn't get over. But to each his own I guess Expand
  68. Dec 15, 2013
    Honestly, this game has everything going for it, a great plot, great character dynamic, great music, great graphics, it is so cinematic and dark and there is such emotion in it, but the one thing I just can't get around is the fact that you can only interact with cutscenes, it makes for a great movie but why would I pay 60 dollars to see a movie? I wish there was more player control instead of just deciding how the story is gonna play out. Shame because this probably plays one of the most important roles in the game. Expand
  69. Apr 2, 2014
    The problem with this game is that the gameplay is almost nonexistent so you can just experience it by watching a Youtube walkthrough. Some of the scenes are pretty emotional tho' (I may or may not have cried)
  70. Dec 22, 2013
    Three years after the release of the critically acclaimed Heavy Rain, David Cage has finally released his next project, Beyond: Two Souls. With the major amount of publicity its received, given that Ellen Page and Willem Defoe are the games main characters, the question surrounding this game is whether or not it can live up to the hype.

One of the most impressive aspects of the game is
    the graphics. Although the game wouldn't be considered beautiful with popping colors, the graphics themselves are beyond impressive in terms of detail. The character designs are amazing, capturing everything from the character's pores, to their hair, and even to the details of their clothes. The amount of detail and color in this game make it an absolute beauty to look at, and make it one of the most graphically impressive games of the current console generation, if not the best.

Another aspect of the game is the story. Unlike Cage's last game, Heavy Rain, the game features only one protagonist, Jodie Holmes, played by actress Ellen Page and the ghost tied to her, named Aiden. The game follows Jodie's story from age 9 all the way to 24. The game features multiple chapters which are more jumbled and mixed up than a Quinton Tarantino film. Luckily, the game has a time line as a loading screen, which shows you when each chapter happened, making the story surprisingly easy to follow. In the first couple of hours, the story wasn't as engrossing as I would have liked, and I wondered exactly how some of the chapters were significant. Luckily, as the chapters filled out, all the events became important in their own way, and it's actually better that the story is jumbled up because it helps make some events in the story later down the timeline more clear and easy to understand. If the story were to be viewed in order, it would have significantly weakened the experience.

One disappointment I've heard from fans is that the story isn't like Heavy Rain's style. In Heavy Rain's story, the game had an enormous amount of endings, which were all affected by the choices you made throughout the story. The multiple endings and in game choices encouraged multiple playthroughs if you wanted to get all of them. What made the game more exiting was the ability to kill off your characters, as well as the shocking twist near the end.

Then there's Beyond's story. The game does have multiple endings, but the choices in the game that affect what ending you get are made within the last thirty minutes of the game. There are certain actions you can make in the story that make some of the endings slightly different, but that's it. However, I personally loved the change up. The reason why is because Heavy Rain's story was a little short, given all the work that was put into the multiple story arcs, which I had no problem with. However, because the story in Beyond was a single story arc, the story had a lot more room for the drama and impact. In this case, Beyond delivers, ultimately making it emotional, intense, heartfelt, and humorous on a couple of occasions. Also, the story is longer than Heavy Rain, making more room for the drama. So, I personally don't mind the change, but I know others will, so whether or not the game's story is good depends on your preferences.

Next is the gameplay. The gameplay is similar to Heavy Rain, using the Face buttons to control speech choices during conversations and decisions, while using quick time events for the action. The quick time events in Beyond are actually based on moving the right analog stick in the correct direction. There aren't any on screen prompts, so you have to judge which way to move the stick, based on Jodie's momentum whenever the action slows. I've heard complaints that the direction isn't always clear, but I never had a problem with it. Plus, the slow down prompt always gives you enough time to adequately judge where to go.

One thing I was disappointed with was the balance of quick time events and cinematic gameplay. Heavy Rain had a nice balance, usually having a quick time event segment every hour or so, with cinematic gameplay filling out the in between sections. In Beyond, the game would sometimes go on for hours without any quick time events or action. Despite the great story, the gap sometimes left me impatient for more.

In this game, you don't control just Jodie, but the Aiden too. His gameplay mainly consists of messing with objects in the environment, as well as the ability to posses or kill people. As Aiden, you float around the area, and look for the next object to mess with (usually presented with a white dot), or look for the next person to kill or possess (usually presented with a red or orange silhouette). Aiden's controls are floaty at first, but get easier to handle over time.

Ultimately, the game was incredible. When I reached the end, I was impressed with both the story as well as the gameplay and in the end, I can say my expectations with this game were satisfied.
  71. Ogr
    Oct 14, 2013
    Graphics and acting of this game are incredible, can't wait to see the next step on a PS4.
    The Story is interesting, but it has some clichés like the typical arabs, the U.S. General...
    Beyond Two Souls is an interactive Movie, the problem here is just that you can't make a lot of decisions that have consequences and the story is not thoughtful enough to entertain me the whole game while
    doing nothing.

The technology: 10/10

But....rest of the game: 6/10

As a huge fan of Heavy Rain I am still curious about the next project...
  72. Oct 12, 2013
    It's not for everyone, that's for sure. If you're a gunhappy action junkie when it comes to games, you'll probably want to pass here. if you were a fan of Quantic Dreams prior games, such as Heavy Rain, you'll definitely want to give it a try. I found the game thoroughly entertaining--a story that kept me engaged until the very end. Supported by a great cast and incredible acting, this game was plenty worth my time and money. My experience with it was a 10/10, your experience may vary, of course. At least give it a try if possible check out the demo or something--you may not know what you are missing. Expand
  73. Jan 19, 2014
    The bar has been raised. While the gameplay is nothing to get too excited over, it's the character acting and story that keeps you playing. An impressive, engaging, and unique experience that let me satisfied.
  74. Oct 26, 2013
    What can I say about this game? Well first of all it's not a game at all..It never feels like a game rather like poor animated film with bad story .Good graphics alone can not save this game cause there are other element like game play story ,control music and many other factors that have to be considered and in this case quality regarding this factors are just too poor.
  75. Oct 10, 2013
    THE GOOD, Amazing graphics, great performances from Helen Paige and Dafoe, controlling Aiden is fun, interesting characters, some very moving moments in the story.

THE BAD, Combat gameplay is confusing, frustrating, not that satisfying. Story starts off very strong, but then plot holes, poor character behaviors, clichés start to appear. The ending, it feels like David Cage ran out of
    ideas and just went Ah F***k IT, THIS WILL DO". Choices and mistakes are not as important as they were in the heavy rain.

A very good game, i strongly recommend it to any PS3 owner. But the gameplay is rather "Meh". Now i know, i know. "This game is 90% about the story, think of it as an interactive movie experience".

Well... See... I knew all that, and i wasn't expecting much from the gameplay. But if you are going to put all your cards on story... Then i am going to be very demanding on that part.

And well.... 2013 as given us it's fair share of good stories in Video games. Last of us, Bioshock Infinite have far better stories then Beyond two souls and they didn't need to sacrifice the gameplay for it.
    The characters are great, Helen Paige is AMAZING. The story actually starts very good, but then you have the "plot twists" and the story falls from it's own weight.

Quantic dream needs to hire a talented writer (David Cage, like Lindelof tends to force plot twists too much. To the point of breaking a story that actually starts off well). Finally, if QTE is all you're going to deliver, don't put so much emphasis on combat and action. Heavy Rain was perfect as it focused mainly on investigation and exploration. With just a little bit of action to keep things interesting. Beyond two Souls is too many Michael Bay action moments. It doesn't matter how many explosions you put on the screen. It's still just a quick time event.

The "action" sequences bring nothing to the table.

Still i really liked this game, and again i strongly recommend it. But again, for a game that is mostly about story rather then gameplay. And on that aspect, other games that have more gameplay value have managed to deliver much better stories.
  76. Mar 31, 2014
    Beyond: Two Souls is a bloated mess. Amidst technically nice graphics and well implemented voice work, there are tons of technical issues, a disjointed, seemingly randomly confabulated narrative that revolves around the main character doing seemingly random things at different points of her life, which never really add up or pay off to anything. When the "movie like" experience you're paying to "play" (and I use that term very, very loosely) doesn't even deliver on being a well crafted story, you know that someone, somewhere royally screwed up.

The story here revolves around Jodie, played by Ellen Paige who has a special ghost-like entity named Aiden attached to her since she was a child. I'll be the first to admit that this is an interesting premise, and I'd also be willing to admit that it works well inside of Beyond, if it weren't for the game's complete and utter disregard for narrative consistency, or even making contextual sense.

Scenes pass from one to the other, and it almost turns into a bad variety show. The problem is, this isn't intended to be comedy. The game takes itself so seriously, even when it's showing Ellen Paige, ghoth'd out playing the guitar, befriending the homeless, and becoming a secret agent, that it turns into absolute comedic gold. There's no inkling of anyone crafting a well developed, fully realized narrative, here. Considering Beyond is a narrative based experience, this is inexcusable.

I can accept that it's a movie like experience. I didn't play Beyond expecting fully realized gameplay mechanics. The mechanics that are here are pointless, though. You can literally set the controller down, not respond to any of the quick time events at all, and the game will still progress regardless. I did play Beyond expecting a fully realized narrative, and I was sorely disappointed.

I realize I keep pointing back to this, but the story is the basis for this entire game. Beyond isn't about solid gameplay mechanics, interesting locales or any sense of achievement. It's about taking part in its narrative. Being a somewhat controlling factor of it. Which is all well and good, but the narrative here is so weak, that I can't recommend this title to anyone. It's certainly not a game in the traditional sense, and it certainly doesn't qualify as having a decent narrative.

It's derivative, it's pretentious, it's bloated, the exposition leads to nowhere, and simply put, it's not worth your time or money. Beyond: Two Souls has zero redeeming qualities.
  77. Oct 14, 2013
    Your mileage may vary, but for me, the game is transcendent.

It transcends both video games and movies to become something greater than either medium would ever be by themselves. I'm an avid gamer (I have 400+ Steam games, 400+ iOS games, and 100+ console games). Yet--to speak for myself--*I* found this game far more moving, thought-provoking, meaningful, and entertaining than many
    other games (including Super Mario Galaxy 1-2, Grand Theft Auto 4-5, The Last of Us, and others).

I can only compare it to Heavy Rain, The Walking Dead, or the Metal Gear Solid series: deep rich stories that have themes and messages that convey something of lasting meaning; something beyond the mindless (but fun) shooting and platforming of other titles.

I will remember this game for years to come. There are few works of fiction of any medium for which I can say the same.

If you like a rich deep story line and don't care about a lack of "agency" (it's always illusory in video games, anyway--there are always incredibly restrictive rules on game play), then this is *the* game of the seventh generation. The comparably minor errors in execution and direction can be ignored, when viewed in light of the whole.

Indeed, the question of whether this qualifies as a game is, like Dear Ester, a largely irrelevant and pedantic: It entertains. It provokes thought. It is emotionally moving. And it illustrates that games--like cinema or literature--can be taken seriously as a medium to both entertain and enlighten.

It seems to me that most reviewers of this game have profoundly and tragically missed the point.

I've tentatively come to the conclusion that most people who dislike Beyond do so because they cannot (or will not) accept the game on its own terms: They have certain expectations of video games, and deviation from well-established norms vexes them. So, for instance, they demand interactivity, even when accepting passivity allows a far more compelling and moving narrative.

In contrast, other people are more flexible (with regards to their expectations of the medium). For instance, the "passivity" of playing Beyond did not bother me in the slightest. I knew what I was getting into, and I knew it was worth the tradeoff: there has been only one other title in forty years of gaming history that provides an experience comparable to Beyond: Two Souls, and it was released three years ago (Heavy Rain).

I believe that many reviewers, given their larger than average exposure to the medium are even less tolerant that other players of certain deviations from gameplay norms. This, I think, explains the large divergence of opinions on metacritic, and the (to me) inconceivably low average the game currently has (a mere 73 for the professionals, and 78 for gamers).

Like the criticism that the game strips the player of freedom/agency, I do not think the others have merit:

I consider the script to be impeccable. I have noticed no plot holes, and very few problems with the dialogue. It is telling that David Cage took a year of 12-14-hour days to write it and that it is 2000 pages in length.

I consider Page's acting to be truly and deeply awe-inspiring. I cannot praise her highly enough. She memorized 30-40 pages of dialogue each day. She had very little time to prepare and rehearse. She often had to juggle different emotional responses to the situations (e.g., playing the part one way in a scene and playing it another way in the same scene). Yet, despite these challenges, her acting is consistently of the highest professional quality. I have noticed no flaws in her performance; it is (along with William Dafoe's performance) very much in keeping with her Academy Award for Best Actress. I consider her to be the most talented actress I've seen.

I also think that the myriad ad hominem attacks against David Cage seem entirely unwarranted. He does not try to impose his views on others. Rather, he is merely passionate, has a vision he believes in, and is outspoken in his beliefs. He believes that gaming can, like cinema or literature, change the world (or try to). This is not arrogant; it is noble.

Moreover, the game has other strengths that seem to be overlooked by many:

- The social commentary is entirely warranted, and appropriately biting.
    - The graphical quality of the game is the best of any on a console.
    - The story is incredibly moving and thought-provoking. The narrative was very easy for me to follow, despite the non-chronological presentation.
    - There is a wide range of different locales and gameplay dynamics employed.

To put it succinctly (and a little melodramatically):

For me, the game is both a reminder and illustration of the many challenges and the triumphs, the sadnesses and joys that life has to offer. For me, it's life affirming, and I consider it deep, rich and meaningful. There are almost no other games (and few movies and books, for that matter) for which I can say the same.

Take a chance: play this game.
  78. Oct 13, 2013
    Heavy Rain is a top five game for me so Beyond: Two Souls was a natural must have. However, I have to say I was disappointed with the experience overall. What really does this game in is the story. I felt at times that I was playing a great game, a real five out of five, but then I got to the last quarter of the game--starting when Jodie agrees to work again with the CIA, Doh!--and the B movie dial is turned to full blast. Here we have a lowly scientist turned head of some ridiculously gilded defense agency; a mega gate portal to another realm--built despite disastrous results from the first such and equaling a betrayal to Jody by said scientist; laughably bad security at an arctic submarine facility which holds ANOTHER mega gate portal; a boss fight with a non-American military dude who really hates Americans (and women, which Jodie is both); and the real capper, the turning of a likeable character into a madman who would hold the souls of his wife and daughter in torment because he “loves” them too much to let them go. This last insult Cage attempts to justify in the silliest manner by showing that this man got drunk after their deaths. Well Boo-hoo. That being said, most videogame stories generally suck. Heck, Heavy Rain’s sucked, and it’s on my top five! What does that leave us? Gameplay and characterization. Let’s cover the gameplay. I was actually skeptical from the start when Quantic Dream showed us the right thumbstick only QTE’s, and for good reason. Heavy Rain’s QTE’s were awesome, but it seems like these were ditched because someone felt that seeing face buttons appear on screen was distracting. So now instead of knowing how you screwed up you’re left scratching your head--I suppose, as someone else has said already, this could have been fixed by having more than one direction registered as a successful move, or they simply could have displayed the direction they wanted me to press. The problem is that you couldn’t fit these controls to Heavy Rain because the fights in that game were more desperate and dynamic, it wasn’t simply, “Move stick toward dude during slow mo to connect punch, duck or lean back to avoid punch”. Yet you could take the button prompt QTE’s from Heavy Rain and apply them to B2S. Also, I was often frustrated because I had no idea what the designers wanted me to do in a given situation and the player is often yelled at by Jodie to get a move on--A good example: at the embassy Jodie needs to find a “Quiet place” to do something in, we don’t know what it is but standing by the fountain isn’t quiet enough. Turns out you have to find the restroom and go into a stall. Why couldn’t they just say that and, “Here, a star on your screen to show you where it is. Take your time, we won’t yell at you, explore some of the other interesting options we (didn’t) have for you”? The white dots on the screen never turn black to contrast with their environments and doing actions like healing and mind reading are a pain. I can say that I really enjoyed the characters of Jodie and Aiden both and I really like who it turns out that Aiden actually is. I just wish there were more scenes where one didn’t have to call on Aiden to help out. I did relish exacting revenge on the teenagers at the party, but after that did we really need another “Party gone awry”--this time at a bar with the audacity to threaten rape? Couldn’t we just have a scene of poor Jodie enjoying a party? Oh, well, great graphics and fun to be had in spite of it all. 4 out of 5. Expand
  79. Feb 18, 2014
    Its hard but you really have to play this game without comparing it to the studios predecessor, heavy rain. Heavy rain focuses on important decision making, while Beyond two souls main focus is on story telling, which it does well.
    The story is well acted and at times gripping but suffers from a lack of edge of your seat moments, due to the way the story is presented. There's also a lack
    of moments were you feel what you're doing is actually effecting your ending.
    I also personally felt it sometimes looses it way, the desert chapter comes to mind as a time i thought it story got a little lost.
    Its not a game for everyone, but a game i personally enjoyed.
  80. Dec 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Amazing game it feels like you're playing a movie and the player really begins to connect with jodie, it also is quite fun to make some trouble with aiden like on the point where you have to throw of some cops in a town while they have surrounded jodie Expand
  81. Mar 21, 2014
    Awesome story, graphics, acting, and soundtrack. A trully nice experience which will make you think of all the journey you have been through while playing the game. Few games have such a capacity to move the player; and this is one of them
  82. Oct 9, 2013
    1. This is NOT a game. This is an interactive movie.
    2. TERRIBLE Controls. Far from intuitive.
    3. Nice graphics. Characters are lifelike.
    4. Strange story. Starts off confusing and is not that engaging.

I would not recommend a purchase. This is a rental at best. I was deeply disappointed.
  83. Oct 9, 2013
    Ok so it's not a game like we are used to play...So??

But oh my god, this game is one of the best ever created! Every scene you play is great.We all like great movies right?So why not be part of one?

Do yourself a favour and get this game as soon as possible.

Thank you again David Cage.Thank you for this masterpiece!
  84. Oct 17, 2013
    I am amazed at the low "professional" reviewers score! This is a fantastic game with a excellent story. It actually choked me up a few times. A horrible, vile game like GTA5 (5th sequel here) gets almost perfect scores but a original game like this gets blasted; what a travesty.
  85. Nov 4, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is hard to describe. It does so many things right, but unfortunately also very wrong. For me it has been a journey with a lot of ups and downs. The story starts off well, but is constantly being poor that it can be compared to a mean Hollywood production. The music is fantastic and the same with the graphic. But I played this game for the story and because of disappointment over how cliche and transparent the story is I can not give it more than a six. Expand
  86. Oct 12, 2013
    This game, which is very much a interactive movie have extremely nice moments in the story as well as heart racing action, its no heavy rain but its still good. Graphics and sound are stunning and ellan page is great. Sadley its done in a bad order instead of a normal timeline making the story feel broken. Its give you three choices NICE, being a complete troll by trolling all the living characters into fear or darn evil and start killing everything that moves. This gives it replay value, im playing nice/ trolling iden the first time jody being a good girl, next time ill play evil iden and dirty jodie. Its not a runner for any awards cage screwed up here, it could of been alot better and its his creative responsibility. Expand
  87. May 6, 2014
    This game is probably my new favourite type of game. It has a great storyline to it, although it may be a bit confusing at first but you manage to piece it together later. The gameplay is great with most of it being interactive, is was generally fun to play and had good replay value. The graphics are superb, Voice acting is just brilliant and overall this is an amazing game and I can't wait for Quantic Dream's next game. Expand
  88. Apr 15, 2014
    one of the most powerful history in the games i ever play!!1 just wonderful!! David Cage bring us a great game anyway they still xbox haters here...........................................................................................
  89. Oct 11, 2013
    Visually this is a massive step forward. But the story (which seems to be it's main part) falls flat, the characters are shallow and there virtually is no gameplay. I definitely can't recommend this "game". It feels like the creative leads behind this really want to work in films, but somehow chose the wrong medium to bring their vision across. I got bored and irriated enough to not even finish half the game. Expand
  90. Nov 24, 2013
    Having finished this game I can say it's worth playing. For some reason this game felt as if Metal Gear Solid 4 met Heavy Rain and Alan Wake. David Cage's games are for those who like to get deeply involved with the story line and don't mind some futuristic themes being interleaved with present day settings. For those who have played QuanticDream's older games you'll feel right at home.
  91. Oct 8, 2013
    This is the new way to tell a story in the future. Videogames aren't only FPS and action, videogames are the new way to create profound content. Beyond Two Souls is magnificent.
  92. Oct 9, 2013
    This game.has lowered the bar for game narrative.If Beyond: Two Souls is truly the pinnacle of videogame narrative like PS3 fanboys claim) then I fear our standards are horrifically low. Sending out the message to publishers that this is what we consider an artistic triumph is terrible. Games can do and have done better than this, but we've now set the bar incredibly low. The high praise for Heavy Rain has effectively sent the message that game writers don't have to try and create a tight, cohesive story. All they need to do is clumsily copy a bunch of classic movies with less than half the care and attention to detail in order to trick people into thinking their game is mature. Expand
  93. Oct 8, 2013
    Abysmal experience. Uneven graphics quality ranging from photo-realistic to very primitive are distracting and this is the best part of the game. Controls are even worse than in previous games, QTE during action scenes is now promtless and often not obvious, during casual interaction it's hard to aim at the required object and ghost mechanics are just unresponsive. And still this is not the worst part. Story and writing are the worst. Game comprised of mixed memories from different parts of Jodie's life. The fact that they are mixed brings nothing to the game experience. Last third of the game is going chronologically anyway. There are numerous plotholes in the script, Jodie's powers don't add up in different episodes and made of different genre cliches, her motivations are totally unclear throughout the game no matter what decisions you make all of them seem out of place and only there to serve the nonsensical plot. Avoid this game! Expand
  94. Oct 16, 2013
    During this last year of the current generation of consoles, I've been in awe with the quality of games (see my review history) that I have been so lucky to play and ultimately enjoy.....Beyond Two Souls stands at the top of this list-- the story, the characters, the voice acting and the game play is so brilliant and done with such elegance that it deserves the "10" I have given it....My only reservation is that there are gamers out there who will not buy this game based solely on the misguided tepid reviews of a few critics and users--trust me, they have made a bad call-- and that is a shame because they will be losing out on one of the best journeys they can take in gaming--- Be warned--this is not your typical black op/fantasy/ science fiction shooter or slow mo blood and gore epic-- It is a compelling, emotional trip you take with this young girl (young and older Jodie played so well by both actresses) and you can only do that because of the excellent production values of this story....Thank-you Quantric--it was an awesome experience Expand
  95. Oct 9, 2013
    Played a few hours with the missus last night. She had great fun picking apart the horrible writing scene by scene. There is nothing fresh, it’s all lifted from horror/paranormal movies. It’s really just Heavy Rain with a faster pace, and ALL the dialogue plot holes (ever). Ellen Page hams it up and a lot of lines just aren’t delivered well. Whole thing plays like a tutorial, so clearly Quantic Dream have learned nothing gameplay wise. That’s always been an issue with their games most interactions are devoid of context so there really isn’t gameplay or challenge. The controller icon is forever there to tell you what to do because you’re not going to know! The Last of Us showed the future, not this interactive movie tripe. It achieved all the “emotion” and was still a highly engaging game. With that, imagine the possibilities if Telltale had this budget. David Cage needs to play The Walking Dead and understand that it’s got the right amount of interactivity for this kind of thing down.

Oh, and visually it isn't a patch on TLOU or GTA5.
  96. Oct 29, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is a truly remarkable game. I feel like because of this, it deserves a slightly different review. I will still give my regular opinions; however, if you, in reading my previous reviews, find yourself to have a similar taste in games to myself, I recommend that you do not read this review. I bought and played Beyond Two Souls having read virtually nothing about it, and I think that jumping in without knowing what to expect made the experience a lot better. I can tell you that it is not perfect, not by a long shot, but it excels in so many areas that it is easy to overlook the flaws. In addition, this game dethrones my personal game of the year, Bioshock Infinite.

At this point, I will begin my review as per usual. So, what is it, exactly, that makes Beyond Two Souls such a great title? To start, the mechanics of the game are completely alternative. People have been very hesitant to do so much as label it as a 'game', simply because it changes the way we normally interact with virtual worlds. Beyond Two Souls is a game/movie hybrid, it focuses on story and emotion more than gameplay. You can deal with people and events in your own time and way, without being restricted to an extremely linear path, such as with watching a movie. Some people found this to be unpleasant, having to actually interact with a movie. (I feel like people constantly ask for different games, ones that differ from the oh-so-familiar 'stare down a scope for 10 to 15 hours'; however, when they are presented with something like Beyond Two Souls, an abundant portion rejects any change to their traditional experience.) I found it to be a very innovative and interesting way to tell a story and to truly allow players to connect with characters in a way that's virtually impossible though movies or other forms of media.

The graphics and music are both spot-on. I can't remember a single moment where the music was not fitting for whatever event, good or bad, was transpiring. It is not just ambiance either, the tracks are good enough to be listened to independently. The visuals in Beyond Two Souls are undoubtedly the best I have ever seen on the PS3. This may be partially due to the cinematic cameras that appear often due to the game's nature. The environments were diverse and the art direction was appropriate (nothing over the top, but the world was able to speak for itself).

The preface of the story is the connection of Jodie to a spiritual entity, Aiden. During the game, you take control of both Jodie and Aiden, and are able to shape the story though each of them. As you are able to take control of either character, you can use Aiden to assist other desperate people, or to kill anyone who opposes you. Almost all combat is done through Aiden, who uses his unique abilities to protect Jodie from harm (whether that be choking someone out, or pulling down an entire helicopter).

Characters, despite other elements, are no doubt the most fantastic part of Beyond Two Souls. I have never felt very bad for people who don't exist, or sorry that I made certain choices in a virtual world. However, Beyond Two Souls completely obliterates that desensitized state of mind by connecting you with characters as if they were real human beings. Multiple times I basically berated myself over bad choices I made, because Beyond Two Souls is unforgiving, and ergo, will force you to 'live' with the consequences. This is partially due to the Hollywood cast of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe, who do an exceptional job of conveying character and expressing the director's vision.

Although the flaws are easy to overlook with so many strong points, a few were glaringly obvious. First of all, you are punished for not pushing your joystick in the right direction in quick-time events, and there is sometime no clear indication of what way you are actually supposed to be pressing it. And when I say punished, I mean you will literally miss certain parts of the story. Being a bit of a controller inept, this was a problem for me. Secondly, there are a few glitches that you might need to prepare yourself for. The game does suffer from rare crashes, and if in rare cases may affect your savegame. This happened to me, but luckily I had saved just a few moments earlier. I am sure this will be patched soon, so please make sure to update the game (if you buy it).

Overall, I would highly recommend Beyond Two Souls to mature gamers who enjoy games similar to those made by Telltale, or to those who can appreciate more story-oriented games.
  97. Oct 16, 2013
    Beyond two souls review: this game is for people like me who think story is one of the most important things for a game to be entertaining. It's kind of like a quick time event story with Jodie while you almost have full control of Aiden. The story is so engaging and the emotions throughout the game are sensational. As far as genre goes it is really the whole package, it ranges from explosive action scenes to surprisingly creepy scenes. However the type of game it is is definitely not for everyone, including myself since I usually play more action oriented games so if I was giving it a score based on my style of games I would give it about an 8 but I know better then to give a review on a game just because I have a different opinion on games so for what it is it definitely deserves a 10. The only negative is that the controls for Aiden are a little hard to control sometimes and take some time to get used to. All around a 10 out of 10! Expand
  98. Feb 15, 2014
    Just played it trought for the first time. Its an aweomse interactive movie rather than a game, but who cares ? The story was beutifull, the acting was perfect (Elen Page done an awesome job). Multiple endings.

I highly recommend this to everyone!

One slightly problem: the "combat system" is a bit hard, so it wasnt easy to see what kind of move Joide do.
  99. Oct 12, 2013
    +Beautiful graphics/audio +Amazing story and storytelling +Great and lovable main character -Controls are somewhat unresponsive good thing you don't actually play much :P) -I had some machine lag that never happened before -Continuity between scenes are bad (facial expressions changing in a weird way, characters warping around) -Some minor graphical bugs -Your decisions does not have a impact as they did in heavy rain

It might look unfair to give this game a 9 based on these pros and cons, but honestly the experince was incredible. I enjoyed every second of it.(except 2 minutes while I was restarting my PS3 because the game crashed). I would give this game a 10 if I haven't played the Last of Us and seen how amazing acting voicing and storytelling was.
    If you don't like story driven, interactive movie type games, you should stay away from it. Gameplay is not good at all. But if you do, you will have an amazing experience.
    Thank you quantic dream for this game.
  100. Nov 17, 2013
    Wow this is an amazing game. Do not listen to narrow minded people who only play COD and don;t know what story is.
    The time flies so fast when you play this game. Amazing graphics makes it even more interesting.

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.