• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Oct 8, 2013
8.1

1. Oct 12, 2013
    It's not for everyone, that's for sure. If you're a gunhappy action junkie when it comes to games, you'll probably want to pass here. if you were a fan of Quantic Dreams prior games, such as Heavy Rain, you'll definitely want to give it a try. I found the game thoroughly entertaining--a story that kept me engaged until the very end. Supported by a great cast and incredible acting, this game was plenty worth my time and money. My experience with it was a 10/10, your experience may vary, of course. At least give it a try if possible check out the demo or something--you may not know what you are missing. Expand
  2. Jan 19, 2014
    The bar has been raised. While the gameplay is nothing to get too excited over, it's the character acting and story that keeps you playing. An impressive, engaging, and unique experience that let me satisfied.
  3. Oct 27, 2013
    Excellent cinematic experience with great presentation and story. I didn't like the cheap scares seemed dumb to me at the time. Enjoyed the story, which was even touching at times. The reviews spectrum is very wide so I suggest you get it if you have played and liked Heavy Rain (to me, one of the best games ever).
  4. Oct 11, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is perfect. It has a mixture of every genre (military action, horror, fantasy, drama, sci-fi). Not sure what more you could want. The story is so gripping that even if my controller was turned off the whole time I wouldn't have minded. It affected me on an emotional level that I haven't really experienced in a game before, there are times when you have to make choices and it truly kills you to do so because each and every character is so relate-able and the dialogue is flawlessly written. This game has been truly robbed of the status is deserved by the critics, after playing it, what I'm reading is nothing but an absolute abomination.
    Amazing work Quantic Dream, ignore the bad reviews and keep making incredible games, your originality and spectacular attention to detail is beyond what most developers neglect to do successfully these days.
  5. Mar 24, 2014
    What is there left to say about the games of David Cage? He's obviously passionate about games as an art form, but much like Ed Wood, he fails to understand what makes his medium truly great.

Interactivity is the whole basis of video games. You're not being told a story, you're LIVING that story. It can provide extremely interesting situations for players and add lots of replayability.
    This is where all of Quantic Dreams' efforts fail. These stories are very linear, with Beyond leading the pack as the most linear of all of them.

Jodie Holmes is the star of the story, possessing strange paranormal powers. We follow her through her life and explore what led her to where she is today. With the help of htis paranormal entity known as "Aiden", Jodie is thrust into adventure and drama as she tries to live her life. Beyond is another of the "Your choices matter" type of games that have been plaguing the industry ever since Mass Effect and Bioshock popularized the concept. In this, though, your choices never really feel like they impact the story. It always seems like Cage is more concerned with telling you his narrative than letting you discover your own.

Jodie's character is never really built-up because the game can't decide where to go with its story. It's almost laughable just how silly it is to see Jodie trying to speak to a native kid over in Syria (or wherever they were). It's a shame because there are very good sequences in the game, such as the homeless section, that actually say a lot by staying silent. Other sequences, however, are just the worst they can come. In-particular, the war sequence, the birthday party, many of the child sequences, and the rape are just cringe-worthy writing that even the most exploitative of works don't attempt.

The chronology of Beyond is strange, as it's told out of sequence for no apparent reason. All it seems to use this for is to place important plot information in a flashback right before the level where you need said information. Seems like an afterthought more than a narrative tool.

And lastly, the gameplay of Beyond. Largely consisting of QTE's and occasional (and I do mean occasional) ghost segments, there's not much else to talk about. There are very few times where you can actually fail the mission objectives. As a matter of fact, the game crashed more than I lost on the normal difficulty, a total of three times. The game is restrictive rather than limited with its gameplay segments and once again makes me wonder why these elements aren't used in a budget game that could be produced faster and cheaper and still retain the same quality apart from graphics.

For the third time in a row, Cage has made an uninteresting mess of game that has the foundation of potential surrounding it. If he would just listen to his critics instead of shoehorning his ideas wherever he sees fit, he may just be able to make a truly great and unforgettable game. For now, Beyond doesn't succeed at a single thing it attempts aside from graphics.

Want games with branching pathlines and choices that matter? Try Fallout: New Vegas or Virtues Last Reward.

Want games with excellent stories and good dialogue? Try Deus Ex or Spec Ops: The Line.

Want a game with QTE's and not much else? Try Beyond: Two Souls.
  6. Oct 8, 2013
    If you liked Heavy Rain you will love this game. It's not for everyone, but Quantic Dream is to be commended for aspiring to be something greater and far different than anything or anyone else in the industry.
    The graphics are absolutely next-gen quality,the characters are well developed, and the story and themes will make your heart break at times. Are there things I don't necessarily
    like? Sure, but Beyond:Two Souls greatly succeeds in spite of them. You become so wrapped up in Jodie's story that you not only deal with the flaws, but forget them completely.
    If the Last of Us showed you that emotions can be brought to life in a very real way, then Quantic Dreams' Beyond:Two Souls proves that it can permeate and completely saturate the entire length of a campaign.
  7. Oct 9, 2013
    Awesome game, the people who rated this game poorly are narrow minded. Not all games have to be shooting and killing all the time. Beyond has great graphics & an awesome story. The controls are good & work well for the game play style. Well worth playing, very good game.
  8. Oct 8, 2013
    This is the new way to tell a story in the future. Videogames aren't only FPS and action, videogames are the new way to create profound content. Beyond Two Souls is magnificent.
  9. Oct 16, 2013
    This is beautiful, awesome and compelling game! What game have the reviewers been playing?
    No this is not your average game, but it has great graphics, great story telling and pretty cool and unique game play.
    At first you will need to get used to the controls but after the first 2 chapters you are used to it (at least i was)
    I never thought this was going to be a game i am going to
    LOVE, like sure but LOVE... What i didn't know this game had an unique and very cool game play and the story just sucks you right in.
    I am going to be honest i never played Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit but i am sure going to play them now.
    If you love a game with a compelling story and a totally different way of playing than the 'mainstream' games, this is totally a game for you!
  10. Dec 24, 2013
    My PS3 Game of the Year for 2013! Wow! The realism blew me away. To think this level of graphics and life-like character modelling is possible on a piece of outdated hardware (yes, the PS3), is unbelievable. Sure, I've just completed The Last of Us before playing this. But, wow, I didn't expect to be more amazed at this game. The emotions that is conveyed through the digitized version of Ellen Page is so strong. I cried at a few of the more touching junctures. You know, I love movies, but to be able to be a part of a movie, and have your decisions and actions affect the "movie", is really somethin special. I want a sequel to this beautiful interactive "movie". I love everything about this game, except the story was being told in a haphazard manner where the sequence of events are not played out in chronological manner, but in a jumbled-up manner. In conclusion, this is one unique game. Totally worth the experience! Expand
  11. Oct 12, 2013
    We're living in a time where storytelling in video games is equal to that of movies. In the case of this game the storytelling surpasses that of a movie by making the player fully invested in the characters and their fates through interaction. The story of Jodie and Aiden is an emotional one that's filled with twists, turns, and unforgettable moments. When playing this game I felt such a connection to the characters and events that I actually felt happy, sad, angry, and scared just like the characters in the game.

The way the story is told is also highly impressive. Each level takes part in a different time in Jodie's life, so you will play as adult Jodie only to jump into a part of Jodie's life as a child. The reason this is so impressive is because despite the way it jumps around in time the story is still incredibly easy to follow. Seeing all these different parts of Jodie's life help you care about the character in a way that few other video games have. Even more impressive is how you can effect how the story plays out based on choices you make, adding tons of replay value.

With such a focus on story I'm both impressed and happy to say that gameplay doesn't take back seat. Most of the gameplay revolves around quick-time events and some light (and incredibly easy) puzzle solving, but stealth sections help break up the action. Gameplay might not have been the focus here, but they included just enough to keep player feeling like they're not just watching an interactive novel. My only complaint with the gameplay comes from the more action-oriented quick-time events. Sometimes it's hard to know which way to dodge because the characters movements aren't exactly clear, and I'm not sure that there is a way to die in this game. But like I said gameplay might not have been the focus, but I feel like they did a good job of including it in.

Overall I am highly impressed with Beyond: Two Souls. It's one of the best stories to come out of a game this year and it's a heck of a lot of fun to play. In a time where many would have you to believe that a video game can't tell a story better than a movie or book, Beyond: Two Souls is one of the many games to prove those people wrong. So if you are a gamer who loves a great story, or even someone who's never played a video game but loves a great story, then I highly recommend this game. It's truly one of the most impressive experiences to come out this year.
  12. Nov 11, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls is an exceptional videogame. From a narrative standpoint, it really truly delivers upon David Cage's storytelling ambition. Past games like Heavy Rain have always had good intentions but have never been able to sustain coherence or quality through their playtimes. Beyond Two Souls, whilst definitely having the odd rocky moment (an occasional blip of stupidity here, a meaningless interlude there), manages to convince and hold the interest. This is partially due to the way in which the tension is ratcheted up during the final third. Oh yes, the climaxes in Beyond Two Souls are of the truly unforgettable style. It would, of course, be a gross disservice to not point out the excellent vocal performances of Ellen Paige and Willem Dafoe; they really sell their characters with expertise. But the supporting cast, most notably the unsung souls that portray Cole and Ryan also do a fantastic job. The graphical output of the game is impressive but not in a "these are the best graphics I've ever seen on PS3!" sort of way. It looks great but there are certainly PS3 games that look better (The Last of Us, for example). The art design is terrific at times. There's obviously a deep seated love of Sci-Fi at the root of the title and you can catch little visual cues from the likes of Alien, The Abyss, The Thing and many more. Gameplay and control wise, Beyond Two Souls can be a bit hit-or-miss. Earlier sequences in the game (particularly the montage and stealth training sequence) can border on the awful. Likewise, the general way that Jodie controls like a tank in a confined space doesn't help immersion much. However, later QTE fights prove to be excellent and exciting and the one section where you properly implement your stealth training is surprisingly fun. Overall, I came away from Beyond Two Souls with my mouth agape, my eyes brimming with tears and my body eager for another playthrough. Well done Quantic Dream! Excellent stuff indeed. Expand
  13. Oct 19, 2013
    Although it boasts a great storyline, acting, script and graphics, I still left the game very disappointed that I paid for the Special Edition version. The game itself I completed in half a day, it was way too short for me, and the extra 30 minutes of gameplay that came with the Special Edition is nothing but a con as you can complete the level in ten minutes.

The game is good but it
    didn't reach the levels I felt Heavy Rain met. Expand
  14. May 21, 2014
    I like to start this is from the same makers that made heavy rain, one of the little few games that really made me cry, it was a good and driven story.
    When i heard they are making another one, i was hoping it was even better or as good as the previous masterpiece..... I was wrong...

While the visuals and scenes are amazingly implemented, its alive, and very well done, The story was
    one big mess, it wasn't that emotional as it supposed to be, it was a great story, but the order its been told was plain wrong, horrible, and disappointing, it was more confusing, then it would suppose to suck you in, live and feel what the character is going trough, but with each new chapter, its like trowing your emotions in the bin, and start over.

The visuals are amazing, the concept stunning, but the implementation, the order from kid to teenager to adult, was a deal breaking, it was disappointing, and confusing, and it never made it the stage of me crying of the story (what normally tells its a job well done, as i barely cry)

They need to step it up, more game, less movie, and for the sake of future games, make the episodes blend in well... the order is a mess..

Pros: Good graphics, very detailed, its good story.
    Cons: The order of the chapters makes the story disappointing, boring, and frustrating, the emotions would be there if it was played in a better balanced way.
  15. Oct 16, 2013
    Interactive narrative for me leads people into games differently however for me this was the pinnacle of what I want in a game a story I loved with incredible voice acting and drastically improved graphics from Heavy Rain. This is my game of the generation in my opinion the ultimate swan song for the PS3.
  16. Oct 9, 2013
    First of all: Heavy Rain was way better in terms of story, storytelling and most important, Immersion.
    In beyond you never have the feeling that your actions have any consequences to the story.
  17. Oct 10, 2013
    Very weak title. For a game there is basically no gameplay. For a movie, it is too slow and story not interesting. For a interactiv movie, there is not much of interactivity. (this is caused by the story structure, where you actually play the future parts before you can play the parts before them, that could affect them without linear structure the interactivity is really not working). And as a tech-demo, there are texture pop-ups and framedrops including some short (0,5 1sec) freezes caused by the background loadings.
    I really liked the Heavy Rain. But the Beyond has basically all the bad aspect of the Heavy Rain. But unfortunately it is missing to parts that were great in Heavy Rain (interesting story and interactivity that could affect story few scenes later.)
  18. Dec 30, 2013
    The story and graphics are fantastic, the story gripped me instantly and I cannot wait to replay this game as there was so many different ways each scene could have ended and lots of hidden things to see and do in them,
  19. Dec 21, 2013
    As soon as I completed this game I felt compelled to write a review so here I am. Put short beyond two souls is feaking amazing, the character development, the story, graphics, audio everything is top notch and so well done the game is nothing short of a masterpiece and quite easily my favourite game of this generation by quite a distance. Its hard to describe just how good this game is. Word of warning though this game is all about the story, so if stories arent your thing and your prefer open world games etc then look elsewhere Expand
  20. Oct 9, 2013
    1. This is NOT a game. This is an interactive movie.
    2. TERRIBLE Controls. Far from intuitive.
    3. Nice graphics. Characters are lifelike.
    4. Strange story. Starts off confusing and is not that engaging.

I would not recommend a purchase. This is a rental at best. I was deeply disappointed.
  21. Oct 9, 2013
    Ok so it's not a game like we are used to play...So??

But oh my god, this game is one of the best ever created! Every scene you play is great.We all like great movies right?So why not be part of one?

Do yourself a favour and get this game as soon as possible.

Thank you again David Cage.Thank you for this masterpiece!
  22. Oct 27, 2013
    Ellen Page really transforms this game into a true emotional experience. While the story is a bit choppy at first due to being split into different parts which aren't playing in the order they happened in, it eventually all comes together in one big, heart-tearing finale.

While it has some minor flaws in pacing and isn't very challenging, I definately recommend it to anyone who enjoys
    games such as Heavy Rain or the Telltale Games.

Don't let bad reviews scare you away.
    Play the demo and you'll see for yourself that this game is a true gem.
  23. Oct 8, 2013
    Awesome game so far, awesome story and magnificent characters.
    After playing like 3 hours, i enjoyed everything in this game, from level design, to voice acting, emotions feel like real.
  24. Oct 29, 2013
    This is a beautiful game, and it is clear that a lot of effort has gone into the environments, characterisation and story. To all the people that are criticising that this doesn't play like normal games, this is an intreractive, strongly narrative driven game that you can effect and see different things depennding on what you do, and never claimed or pretended to be anything else! Seeing and accepting this for what it is and meant to be, it is a very compelling and interesting experience. I particularly love the fact that there's a two player mode, where one player plays as Jodie on one joypad or smart device, and the other player plays as Aiden, the spirit that accompanies her, on another joypad or smart device. Controlling Aiden seems too simplified when played on a smart device, but it is unquestionably nice to have the option and will appeal to casual games immensely. Only one player is in control at any one time, but it's nice to have to not hot swap the controller, and i only wish games like Xcom-Enemy Unknown had a similar controller assigning feature..

The graphics are superb and among the best of this gen, and although they are top notch for the most part, are not so in a few instances, the time in the desert for example. The game is a lot longer than i was expecting, as i feared it would be a short game, but am pleasantly surprised by the length. Special not must go to all the acting in the game, all superb!

As i said, a very compelling interactive story/movie, and one that i would highly recommend playing with your significant other, my girlfriend absolutely loves the game, i believe she said it was her favorite that she's played to date!
  25. Jan 6, 2014
    I give this game a solid 8 for two reasons: 1) QuanticDream's ambition and courage and 2) The game is good, period. But it is not for everyone. Basically, this is not a "game" as it is much more of a digital experience. Beyond 2 Souls is one HUGE Quick Time Event, where you control the decisions and deal with the repercussions of your acts. This is the tale of a girl who is connected to an entity that gives her paranormal powers. And what a tale... from a small, frightened girl being tested to a fully trained CIA agent, this game tells an incredible story that mixes adrenaline, surprises and, occasionally, terror. One of 2013's best surprises, no question about it. It is not the best game, it won't be Game of the Year, but it is a beautiful effort, a product of love and should not be missed. Expand
  26. Dec 23, 2013
    I tried, twice so far, to get into Heavy Rain, and it just didn't click with me. However, Beyond: Two Souls, was, imo, a fantastic ride. While the story did, at some points, go a bit too far out, even for me, I still enjoyed it immensely, and ontop of that the mocap, voice acting, lip sync, graphics, aesthetics, soundscape was all amazing. With regards to the story I would have liked it to be more coherent, but I guess it fits the story as broken and chaotic as it is, also that does give a break in the combat/action sequences. All in all this was a great game, or maybe rather experience, I cannot wait for the next quantic dream title for that hopefully is being made for PS4. This year saw me buy both a PS3 and a PS4 (previously exclusively PC gamer), definitely not regretting going with sony here, keep 'em comin'. Expand
  27. Oct 9, 2013
    Well, this is a game, this is not a movie, this is a 50/50 game. Half game half movue and this is great, if you like Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead you will like this too, I'm sure. @gamesreflexoes
  28. Oct 12, 2013
    Beyond two souls is an incredible gaming experience the story is a well driven emotional rollercoaster. Once again quantic dream delivered a brilliant and incredible game. They deliver a game which has an outstanding story supported by a brilliant cast Ellen Page did an incredible job as Jodie Holmes. The graphics is mind blowing the detail is incredible. The controls is easy to adapt to. This has to be one of the greatest games I have ever played and one of the best games of 2013. Simply ignore the bad reviews those people don't know what a good game is about. Beyond two souls was a great expierence if u loved heavy rain then beyond two souls is for u. This is a must have game for every die hard gamer of a PS3. Expand
  29. Oct 8, 2013
    it is a truly unique experience that every gamer deserves to experience (even the critics too shallow and narrow minded to accept or comprehend it). dont listen to the haters of this game. there are many people who have this pretentious bias against ambitious cinematic, story centric games like this and also have a strong disdain for david cage. these conspiratorial individuals think he is trying to erase all genres of gaming and will turn every game in existence into an interactive movie.

if you are not one of these people, and you are not going into this game with the sole intention of hating it, you will not only like this game, but love it. their claims that it is "a movie with no gameplay" are beyond ridiculous. there is more gameplay here than there was in heavy rain or the walking dead. Its graphics and presentation are the best the PS3 has to offer, bar none. even naughty dog's masterpeice "the last of us" isnt quite as polished in animations and visuals. the story is well paced, the characters well written, and the acting top notch. the game accomplishes what it sets out to do. no you wont be chopping off heads or shooting aliens. this is a rare genre and this game is the best it has to offer. try it for yourself.
  30. Oct 11, 2013
    A game like GTA V gets relatively no articles nor low scores for its overrated story and violence which is more closer to reality then this game or any other. Yet Beyond Two Souls gets mentioned in an article for its violence and then reviewed poorly. Media is killing the real art as we know it. Yeah it doesn't have much gameplay as you would expect..it plays more like a shooting arcade/gallery game (think Virtual Cop or House of the dead), with bits of walking, but its the story and characters that matter most. There is interaction which classifies it as a game and I for one love it and highly recommend it to anyone who appreciates great storytelling and compelling characters. The highlights were the charming Ellen Page, acting veteran Willem Dafoe and of course Aiden especially. Beautiful graphics that make the PS3 still shine and wonderful moments of human perseverance. Expand
  31. Oct 20, 2013
    This isn't a game so much as an experience. Not only is this one of the best presented games on this generation of consoles, it arguably has some of the most powerful storytelling available in modern gaming. Whether you buy, rent or borrow, this game is a must play.

Looking forward to playing Quantic dreams next entry.
  32. Dec 27, 2013
    Whether defined as visual novel, interactive movie of video game, Beyond: Two Souls is undoubtedly excellent entertainment. What's more, Quantic Dream have done incredible work pushing the PS3 (by now "outdated hardware" to its limits) with amazingly high production values. As a fan of Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit (Indigo Prophecy) I can only recommend.
  33. Oct 20, 2013
    Excellent game for players who are able to appreciate something more than Call of Duty... For those who like Heavy Rain, more than recommended., if there is something mediocre, it is the average
  34. Oct 26, 2013
    What can I say about this game? Well first of all it's not a game at all..It never feels like a game rather like poor animated film with bad story .Good graphics alone can not save this game cause there are other element like game play story ,control music and many other factors that have to be considered and in this case quality regarding this factors are just too poor.
  35. Oct 11, 2013
    A daring epic. David Cage goes where no creative game director has ever dared to go. Beyond: Two Souls is a game unlike any other. A crowning masterpiece in storytelling, writing and performance. This is surely Ellen Page's greatest performance yet, an outstanding performance. Willem Dafoe also gives spectacular performance, giving it his best in every scene. Beyond: Two Souls is one hell of a journey, crazy, emotional, unbelievable, unpredictable journey. And surprisingly, it ends as if there might be potential for a sequel??? Hmm. Imagine the possibilities of what could happen next. If you have a PS3, Beyond: Two Souls is an amazing game (that feels like it's even more than that) that should definitely not be missed. An incredible and, once again, daring, step forward for the evolution of storytelling in video games. Bravo, David Cage, bravo. Oh, and I think I've fallen in love with Ellen Page... I'm pretty sure David expected that to happen. Thanks for that. Expand
  36. Oct 11, 2013
    Visually this is a massive step forward. But the story (which seems to be it's main part) falls flat, the characters are shallow and there virtually is no gameplay. I definitely can't recommend this "game". It feels like the creative leads behind this really want to work in films, but somehow chose the wrong medium to bring their vision across. I got bored and irriated enough to not even finish half the game. Expand
  37. Oct 15, 2013
    Very emotional game. I have a best experience with interractive movie with my friends. Estimates stupid and listen to the opinions of others, instead of his an idiotic action.
  38. Oct 9, 2013
    Don't believe the criticism sites Beyond is the Beyond is maybe most important of the game playstation history. Emotional, sensitive and stunning.. Thanks Quantic Dream..
  39. WEL
    Oct 12, 2013
    I thought the story-telling was very clever and interesting because by making it like this it was near impossible to predict. It was very easy to mix the drama with the action without it feeling forced like in 90% of video games where the need for the repetitive gameplay is constantly getting in the way. It was like a puzzle that kept you wondering "what is going on?" but that by the end everything would fall into place.

But of-course I knew people would hate it though since many don't seem to be able to let go of the traditional and see things with a more open mind. To me the game was fantastic. More like an art that people don't want to appreciate because of their pre-conceptions of what a video game should be. But at the end this game is not about gameplay or skill but about an experience that can't be replicated by a movie or book even with its many cliches and awkward writing.
  40. Oct 10, 2013
    Beyond is actually the first game which I finished in only one day. Not because it was too short, but because I simply could not stop playing it... I couldn't resist the urge to know what lies "beyond"!
    What Quantic Dream, especially of course David Cage and Ellen Page, achieved with the PS3 is simply amazing and breathtaking. Beyond takes the medium "Game" finally to the point, where we
    can say, that games can be considered a intellectual art form to which we should pay the same amount of respect then to good movies and books...
    If you appreciate movies like Donnie Darko, The Fountain, Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind or 2001: Odyssey in space, you will LOVE Beyond, because it is the best possible combination of these 4! Pure Poetry and Perfection, Biggest Respect and THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU to everyone who made this possible!
  41. Oct 13, 2013
    If you are passionate about gaming, and it's industry, Beyond is absolutely worth your time and money. It delivers so much quality content that it's easy to forgive its mishaps. If you open yourself up to what it has to offer then you will become a willing participant in a story that tugs at the strings of your humanity. This is not a moral consequence tale, it is a story of choices. You can learn from your actions and choose to change. At each turning point you are given the option to grow or slip away. The combat is cinematic and the action scenes are stunningly captured. However, all this quality does come at a price. Certain levels will force you down linear paths, and the limited options for approaching some situations (especially when in control of Aiden) are never explained, which can be imposing. Unlike Heavy Rain, there is little price to failure. This may result in you taking a different detour to your next key plot point but ultimately you will still end up there, though you may not be happy with the toll it might take on Jodie or the characters that surround her.

Enjoy the ride.
  42. Oct 9, 2013
    If you're slightly interested in this game, go for it. It's a masterpiece, and like a groundbreaking work, it has to fight through conventional wisdom to get to the right audience. "Beyond" will be around for years. Don't wait. (Played through it in two long sessions, but would go back again for different choices and bonus items.)
  43. Dec 27, 2013
    This game packs a graphical punch similar to Uncharted 2. This game along with gt6 is one of the reasons I'm disappointed with the next gen consoles so far. The story is extremely deep and teaches you a lot of things about life you may never of even considered. However, the experience isn't really about you. It's about the main character and all your decisions inevitably shape the same inevitable story until the very end. Their are stunning vistas in this game from all over the U.S including some places you can traverse by horseback(only in one section of the game). The main problem is their is very little replayability and no punishment for making mistakes. The choose your own adventure style of heavy rain is instead replaced with one of the most beautiful action packed games on the ps3. Expand
  44. Oct 13, 2013
    Hard to know that most negative reviews here made because of popular critics. Game is very good. Great story that raise interesting themes and gives tons of different emotions. I just had a great pleasure when i played this game. And now i only hope that David Cage won't stop make games only because of critics and negative.
  45. Oct 19, 2013
    First of all, if you're just a gamer that wants to blast people's heads off than this may not be your type of game.
    But with amazing graphics, a very good story line and a really good cast of actors this games grabs you at the beginning and doesn't let go of you till the end credits. This game made me play for 8 hours straight with a little break in between, but that's really rare for
    games these days.

People say the game is short, but it's not shorter than any other single player story of any other game.

To everyone who's looking for a nice game to play with a very good story, I recommend this game.
  46. Oct 11, 2013
    Awesome story, graphics, acting, and soundtrack. A trully nice experience which will make you think of all the journey you have been through while playing the game. Few games have such a capacity to move the player; and this is one of them
  47. Oct 19, 2013
    This game was an amazing experience for me, and if it weren't for The Last of Us I would have easily chosen this game as Game of the Year. This is without a doubt the best looking game on the PS3, nothing comes close. In terms of gameplay I would give the nodge to The Last of Us, but in terms of cinematics I would give it to Beyond: Two Souls. In terms of story I would give it to the Last of Us but it's very close. In terms of soundtracks Beyond: Two Souls wins this easily. Expand
  48. Oct 10, 2013
    7.4 by metacritic? Are you kidding me? This game is awesome! This is a masterpiece by David Cage! second in a row)! It is so touching and gives you more emotions then all callofduties and gtas together! It looks amazing, it keeps you involved for hours and it makes you say WOW! every 5 minutes. I don't know what person you should be to give less than 9.0 to this game. Probably a person without PS3 or some #iveplayeddemoanditsnotfun wierdos... No offence. Quantic Dream rules! Bravo mr. Cage! Expand
  49. Dec 26, 2013
    Dont go in expecting F.E.A.R. chills. Think of it like a classic point and click adventure (with some point and click 'action' bits) and you won't be disapointed. The story is good, but you'll probably guess it well before the end. The characters, story telling, graphics and sound are excellent. Pacing is good. You will remember some scenes for a long time. Its like a solid, well made interactive movie. Expand
  50. Oct 9, 2013
    This is not a game, as absolutely none of your actions actually influence anything. You can fail anything and the game just progresses as normal. As far as a movie goes it's very poor.

Disgusting.
  51. Dec 30, 2013
    It saddens me when I see the negativity that is associated with this game because Beyond: Two Souls was nothing short of an emotional roller coaster that took me through the life of Jodie Holmes, a protagonist that I grew to care about significantly. The journey this game took me through made me believe that my decisions mattered and were significant in understanding the importance of right and wrong. I felt as if the characters I met playing along this journey as Jodie truly developed her character and created a depth to the overall experience. There were many moments that simultaneously made me feel the same emotions that Jodie was feeling in response to an event that may have occurred or a significant plot point which was surprising to say the least.

Beyond: Two Souls is special, it is a unique tale that deserves recognition for what it has accomplished. The entirety of the story should be experienced first hand in order to understand the captivating potential of the type of medium this game uses to engage the player. This game drained me emotionally which is a feat few games have done in the past and this is why it will be treasured. I can only urge others to not disregard Beyond: Two Souls as it so much more than a game, rather it is a masterful work of art.
  52. Oct 18, 2013
    Video games as art? This is stunning and definitive proof.

This game moved me. I've never experienced anything on PC or consoles that evoked the spectrum of emotions 'Beyond' did. Nothing even comes close. The AAA graphics, the story, Ellen Page's brilliant acting, the musical score and the story were all put together in a way that no other game has ever managed, nor likely even
    attempted.

Having experienced (and enjoyed) Quantic Dream's Heavy Rain from 2010, I knew what to expect from 'Beyond' in terms of gameplay. I knew it wasn't going to be a frenetic button masher or an adventure game like Uncharted or Tomb Raider. Heavy Rain was, when you get down to it, merely a medium for interactive story-telling, and it did this pretty well. 'Beyond' follows along these lines, but does it far, far better.

Before even thinking about purchasing 'Beyond: Two Souls', you really need to know what it is and what it isn't, and you need to know what you're looking for from it. This is not a game you'll be 'challenged' by in the typical sense, where you're presented with entertaining obstacles and your enjoyment is derived largely by overcoming them. It never set out to do that or promised this sort of experience. Instead, 'Beyond' offers to fully immerse you in a story and its main character like no other game or movie before it could ever hope to accomplish.
  53. Oct 9, 2013
    Beautiful graphics but just a terrible derivative story, long winded and contrite at times. The sequeuences through out the game are just repetitive and almost forced most of the time. Fragmented and lost in a sea of cliches and predictable storylines it tries to be something more than what it could have been....Very dissapointed as I loved Heavy Rain...
  54. Oct 13, 2013
    It's not for everyone. Like Heavy Rain before, and Indigo Prophecy before that, this is a game that will bring mixed opinions. So here's mine: This game pushes the PS3 to its limits. Some scenes do tend to show the PS3's age, but for the most part the game is near photo-realistic. I'd often forget that I was playing a "game."

As for the "game" part, this definitely plays a whole lot
    better than Heavy Rain. Where Heavy Rain felt clunky and cumbersome, Beyond feels great and controls fine for the most part. There were a couple of parts where I tried to explore a certain area and the camera got all wonky, but that was only because the game was trying to lead me somewhere with a fixed camera angle and I was trying to ignore it. Mapping the fight scenes to the right stick actually feels great and natural. It certainly limits the amount of buttons you're mashing. The UI is also simple and attractive. My only issue being that the small white dot is easy to lose on screen sometimes.

Moving on, the overall performances in the game are fantastic. Ellen Page is magnificent and Willem Dafoe is amazing as always. However, in the end, I felt like this game doesn't come close to the amazing story in Heavy Rain. The biggest issue with this game is that you are in control of just one character the entire game. So death isn't really an option. Which means that, one way or another, your character is going to make it out of any sticky situation. Whereas in Heavy Rain, I actually felt like my decisions carried some weight to them. But if you enjoyed Heavy Rain despite it's control issues, then I'm sure you'll enjoy Beyond: Two Souls despite it's own set of issues. Regardless, I'm definitely looking forward to what David Cage has in store for us for the PS4.
  55. Mar 7, 2014
    For fans of experiments, at least the first hour is highly recommended. Let me just say the camera-work is unique. But then it just keeps going. It's like a movie about walking, 80% of the time. The story affected me emotionally, the graphics made me say "wow" out loud several times, the acting impressed me and kept me engaged. But it's still mainly images of someone walking through sceneries. And it doesn't convey anything about that act. Plus I got stuck in doorways a few times, was stressed out unnecessarily by the QTE button-mashing, and found every single 'puzzle' obvious. It's the most photo-realistic game I've ever played, but aside from graphics, it's barely two-dimensional. Expand
  56. Oct 9, 2013
    I really really wanted to like this game, but I was very disappointed with how poorly this games story was handled and how weak the gameplay was.
    The way the story was broken up into different pieces and mixed up made everything so confusing for me to follow and the gameplay was just not good, I made so many mistakes with the slow mo segments with Jodie because I could not read her
    movements half the time.
    Most of the other characters were weak and I had less options to that of Heavy Rain.
    One of the most negative things about the game for me was that the game just wouldn't work anymore, I stopped playing last night and got up this to morning to play and the game just would not load the level I left off at, I restarted the game and still would not work. The game was broken for me.
    The only positive things about this game for me was the performance of Ellen Page and of course the great visuals of the game.
    I'm sad to say this is likely my final PS3 Exclusive game I'll play before I get a PS4 and I have already returned it for a full refund.
    I hate to say this but Beyond Two Souls is on my Most Disappointing Games of 2013 list.
  57. Jun 30, 2014
    An amazing game. I'm not sure why it didn't get the praise of Heavy Rain, but it was an incredible experience. The story was interesting, and well told, though due to the nature of cutting between memories, the order of events can be rough to piece together. Despite the names of each memories being shown in a timeline, it's easy to forget which memory is which and everything than happened at the time.

The motion capture and acting is unbelievable, and only wish such technology could used used in such an effective way for a survival horror (Last Of Us is not that).

So to start with the good: the action is amazing, the slower parts are engrossing, and the element of choice is so strong, every decision is second guessed. I won't have time to play every type of decision and ending again, but like with Heavy Rain, I'll always intend to replay again in the future if I ever find the time.
    There is a lot of variety in this game, Some levels seem so different and unrelated to the main story arc, that it's easy to lose track of the direction of the main plot. Also the visual styles between different levels are so different that it feels like every type of terrain or weather has been exhausted within this game.
    The main characters are interesting, with emotional depth, and full of soul (pun intended), that only could've come from such amazing actors and motion capture artists.
    Obviously Cage is a director and writer unlike any other, and his games/art are worthy of all the praise they receive and more.
    The visuals and atmosphere of the game are incredible, and this is definitely a game that's hard to put down.
    The fluidity of the story upon making a game-changing decision is a triumph, and despite the slightly jarring nature of jumping between memories in time, every change feels like it has a big impact, and there's nothing that feels "this decision would've brought out the same outcome".

However I do need to raise the negative points. Aside from the briefly mentioned jarring nature of jumping around in time, my biggest issue with this game was controls. I'm a huge fan of the unique and interactive nature of the gesture controls that David Cage's games use, especially on the PS3. Heavy Rain had a brilliant tutorial introduction level, and I don't recall ever having issues understanding what needed to be pressed during a scene. Fahrenheit was also pretty simple to grasp the controls of. However I really found myself struggling at times with Beyond Two Souls. Most of the time, all that exists to indicate an interactive element is a dot, and while usually it stands out well, and is easy to trigger, I found anything that even resembled a white dot (reflection of light, a bump on an object, etc) caused me to waste time trying to interact with it. Also the dot element changed in functionality at random times. The single white dot usually just meant I needed to swing the right stick towards the dot to interact, but whenever I saw a blue dot, I found myself getting a little confused. A blue dot means you need to lock on with L1, which is fine, but then this produces 2 more dots. Sometimes you are expected to bring the two dots together, sometimes apart from each other, sometimes over different characters, sometimes together onto a certain point against resistance, and sometimes to push the dots together, away from the blue dot. Then even this differs, in some cases you must push the two white dots towards the blue dot and let go, sometimes away from the blue dot, and hold, and sometimes away from the blue dot, and fling back forward, and then I also found there were times I was expected to bring away from the blue dot together, but then let go, sort of like releasing a stretched elastic band.

While all these movements are achievable, and fine, the indication of which to do where is not clear, and a lot of time there is a time limit where if you don't choose the correct interaction, your game will change completely, with the story changing for the negative.
    I found myself redoing a certain desert-based missions multiple times simply because the game refused to accept what I was trying to do, only because it wasn't clear what my options were.
    I found this incredibly frustrating, and this is a regular type of interaction that becomes infuriating during the time-sensitive moments.

Also,there are times where the game will give you an option "say nothing, do nothing" which you physically have to choose, but then other times you simply have to do nothing and wait a minute for the choice to be made. This can really break gameplay as instead of being drawn into the emotion of the moment, you're trying to figure out what options you actually have available to you. If there was a little more consistency it'd have been appreciated. I understand it was to make the game not too repetitive, but it ended up just being a source of frustration.

Despite this, I thoroughly enjoyed the game, and hope to replay.
  58. Oct 9, 2013
    Big step back from HR, less characters, less narrative crossroads. The plot is a meat loaf with boring moments, stupid and trivial. QD did not understand the true potential of 'interactive drama. Interactive drama should not become trivial linear film, but interactive movie sandbox. the player must be in control of the script, not a stupid spectator. Instead of hiring actors of hollywood, would be better to take classes in game design Expand
  59. Oct 15, 2013
    I saw too many ones complaining that there are no consequences failing an action, that there is no game over or whatsoever, that the game still go onward even failing something, I wonder if these BIG MINDS have thought that SOMETHING COULD CHANGE between successfully completing one action or failing it completely... of course the game keeps going on the same but wonder a bit if something could have been different succesfully completing an action...please. I wonder if the game has been made for an higher IQ tier than the average of the gamers here complaining is.

My only complaint goes to Aiden's movement which I find it could have been slightly improved, everything else is a true masterpiece and I'm gonna rate this game 10 out of 10 to help close the mouth to "closed mind" ones.

After a second playthrough I have to admit it completely, David Cage is a visionary genius and I invite every "professional" non "oiled" reviewer to take a look at this interview http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-09/04/david-cage-beyond-two-souls maybe this could clear their view on the "consequences" of actions and on the "why" people playing this game could feel to actually watch a movie while instead their are playing a game, is an interview in which Cage explains why every playthrough is a set piece of experience and why someone playing the game could experience something that other ones playing the very same game doesn't, the basis on which I can legit BS every "review" complaining about a game which is way too sophisticated to be understood at a first glance, this game can be played ten times without digging everything's inside, simply DO NOT LISTEN TO DETRACTORS AND LIVE THIS EXPERIENCE if you have an open mind and enough sensitivity, you won't regret it, just don't expect a classic FPS or TPS nor compare this game to more usual ones, here the skills are not everything and are put under test in a different way, hormone-driven teenagers, FPS lovers and basic minds should avoid it.

Thanks D. Cage, I must repeat myself, you are a visionary genius and this game have just only one BIG defect, sooner or later it comes to an end.
  60. Oct 9, 2013
    This game.has lowered the bar for game narrative.If Beyond: Two Souls is truly the pinnacle of videogame narrative like PS3 fanboys claim) then I fear our standards are horrifically low. Sending out the message to publishers that this is what we consider an artistic triumph is terrible. Games can do and have done better than this, but we've now set the bar incredibly low. The high praise for Heavy Rain has effectively sent the message that game writers don't have to try and create a tight, cohesive story. All they need to do is clumsily copy a bunch of classic movies with less than half the care and attention to detail in order to trick people into thinking their game is mature. Expand
  61. Feb 27, 2014
    It was enjoyable, but not nearly as much as Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit.
    For those that don't know these are games of same people that made this one.

Those previous games were less about saving the world (Fahrenheit was, but only near the ending, which sucked horribly anyway) and more about characters dealing with their falling apart for some reason. It was about interaction between
    different characters - here you only play Jodie&Aiden.

It lacked...I don't know...intrigue? Something to keep you on your toes. Maybe it was because the story was presented this awkwardly - it ruined my immersion sometimes. Interesting way to present a story, but I think it was too fragmented and would prefer chronological presentation.

QTE were much bettter than thier previous games without retarted flashing colors Fahrenheit had. Nice job here.

Jodie is an interesting character, and Aiden too, I'm glad they've explained WHY Aiden was with her all the time. Other characters felt really nicely developed too ! I especially liked Nathan and Cole, yeah they were probably a little bit cliche, but still great characters.

They wrapped up the plot nicely. Multiple endings of which most made sense. Potential hint of future sequel maybe ?

It gets a solid 7/10 from me.
    And for those who are bashing this game for its story....maybe try Call of Duty. Something with a story more fit for your intellectual possibilities.
  62. Oct 11, 2013
    Great game. Wonderfully unique experience. I hope some of the mixed reviews do not mess up the chances of them making more games. You can nit pick certain aspects of the game. Like consistency in the story, but they made something special here
  63. Oct 8, 2013
    Abysmal experience. Uneven graphics quality ranging from photo-realistic to very primitive are distracting and this is the best part of the game. Controls are even worse than in previous games, QTE during action scenes is now promtless and often not obvious, during casual interaction it's hard to aim at the required object and ghost mechanics are just unresponsive. And still this is not the worst part. Story and writing are the worst. Game comprised of mixed memories from different parts of Jodie's life. The fact that they are mixed brings nothing to the game experience. Last third of the game is going chronologically anyway. There are numerous plotholes in the script, Jodie's powers don't add up in different episodes and made of different genre cliches, her motivations are totally unclear throughout the game no matter what decisions you make all of them seem out of place and only there to serve the nonsensical plot. Avoid this game! Expand
  64. Oct 11, 2013
    I knew this one is definitly not a game for everyone.

The graphics are just beautiful, the acting is pretty good and the story is exciting. I watched myself playing this game for 6 hours non-stop because the rememberable moments just didn't stop coming. It's a extremely immersive adventure well... if you're into those kinda emotional stories. There's little action and the controls are
    original and not more than unusual but very, very far from "unplayable" like some people are suggesting.

Like Heavy Rain and The Walking Dead Beyond: Two Souls has little gameplay, but great, emotional storytelling. And in the end of the day... not everyone just loves to enjoy a good story with an original way of playing rather than having powerful, actionpacked gameplay with familiar controls.
  65. Jun 9, 2014
    Beyond es un juego con gran trama y buenas ideas. La cosa parece que va a dar bastante más de si pero al final las decisiones son limitadas y sólo queda disfrutar de la brillante historia y el espectacular apartado gráfico. En cualquier caso mejora la excesiva rigidez de heavy rain pero le sigue faltando camino.
  66. Oct 8, 2013
    For all of David Cage's attempts to make games into movies, why can he not write, and why are the controls so goddamn obnoxious and horrible?

This game has lovely visuals and pretty good acting performances, but GODDAMN the controls are absolutely horrendous in ways they shouldn't be. Just moving your character feels like the most disgusting thing ever due to how poor the controls are.
  67. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Beyond: Two Souls is a very uneven package, with some moments of real tearjerkers or edge-of-my-seat drama and other portions that seem like they were made for a different game entirely and in a very bad way. The plot itself is not horrible as a whole but the constant swinging back and forth between past and present make it more of a hassle to just figure out what is happening then it should be. Several times it was actually counterproductive, with some major story moments spoiled before swinging back to what lead up to it.

(WARNING: Some spoilers will be given from her on)

On the gameplay side there are two very distinct sections, the sections involving exploration (which dominate the first half of the game) and the sections involving infiltration/stealth (which dominate the second half). The exploration is interesting, especially with the introduction of apparition called Aiden. Similar to games like Heavy Rain, interacting with the world as Jodie can be both interesting from the conversations it sparks or tedious if its just busy work. The most interesting parts involve Aiden, the proxy that follows the main character around can do many typical "ghost" action from moving objects at will to scare other or to just assist Jodie to more aggressive actions like strangling or possessions (the latter used mostly for the other sections). While the mechanics can be unwieldy to use at times, these areas are usually open and detailed enough to make you feel it's worth investigating. The other sections involve Jodie and Aiden trying to sneak by or take out people. These sections feel more in tune with a Metal Gear or Splinter Cell title as they require using cover to remain out of sight and using Aiden to distract or take out select enemies. Aiden can even possess some people and use them to open a locked door, kill a comrade or even kill themselves (there are some pretty disturbing scenes). The bulk of gameplay shifts between these two sections and the change in tone is palpable, though you never feel in any real danger during "stealth." Even failure seems to be easily remedied with QTE fight scenes and failing that Aiden will simply choke out the attacker before the killing blow (begging the question why Aiden didn't intervene sooner).

But just like Heavy Rain, the Action is only a side dish to the Story and here is where we dig into Beyond: Two Souls. The story focuses on Jodie, a girl who has a mysterious "imaginary friend" named Aiden that has been tied to her for as long as she can remember, through the trials of her life. Following her traumatic childhood is gripping and her relationship with Nathan Dawkins is one of the most compelling aspects of the game. The story itself follows a non-linear format, which is a euphemistic way of saying it lurches back and forth through time with every new plot point. This is intriguing in the beginning as the player is dumped into strange situations with no context and must try to piece together the pieces of what is happening and just who Jodie and Aiden are. However, this quickly gets confusing and a lack of set-up or proper buildup to a situation make it seem completely out-of-nowhere. An example of this: one sequence has Jodie joining the CIA and training with them before cutting to her sleeping on a train before being hunted by local sheriffs with no reason given. In hindsight and with the entire plot revealed it does make more sense but in the moment it all seems more over-the-top and nonsensical than intriguing, which It felt it was trying to do. Poor execution hounds the story's latter half and drags the plot down, with dramatic scenes seeming heavy-handed and forced because of the lack of flow between scenes.

Things come to a head by the end and I won't go into details suffice to say it it stuffed full of cliches and heavy-handed scenes that come one after another so that it all just make it all seem less serious than it want to be. Personal choices have less of an effect on the ending but do color the ending somewhat which is not a bad thing, its just that the execution falls flat in far too many places for it to seem like it was the only option that could be given. The strong feelings felt during Jodie's childhood are found only sporadically by the end (anything to do with Dawkins and Jodie remain moments of brilliant drama) replaced by filler sections tie up loose ends.

There is a good game and a compelling story underneath this game, its just that the way that it's shown is confusing and by the end has devolved into using cliches.
  68. Jan 1, 2014
    You can not go into this game expecting any other sort of game. This is not a game about combat, and sandbox features. This is a purely story driven game.
    Don't judge Mario for the story, Don't judge Call of Duty for historical accuracy, Don't judge this game because it's unlike others.
  69. Oct 12, 2013
    I think the problem with reviewing something like Beyond is that some judge it as a movie, others as a game, but it really isn't either exactly. from a purely mechanical point of view, the game is very conservative and you might not get the same satisfaction as playing a game like call of duty. Yet, the game has shooting mechanics, and stealth sections, and some sections where you make choices. This is for the most part a guided experience, however you will be able to craft certain situations in different ways to vary up second playthroughs. beyond has all the trappings of any modern day gaming experience, but it is how to takes the player from A to Z that is different, unique, and worth seeing for anyone interested. Expand
  70. Oct 8, 2013
    I went in believing this might be the next big blockbuster akin to something like aliens but it's rather disjointed and pretentious

wait till it comes to Netflix
  71. Oct 14, 2013
    I almost didn't buy this game because of the mixed reviews- but did it based on Heavy Rain, which also was received in a similar fashion. I'm glad I did. This is not a perfect game by any means and probably many COD fans (for instance) will hate it. But it's extremely unique, and the production values are stellar. The story was surprising for me, and once I got used to the fragmented way it was told, I thought it was strong.

The characters are very likeable- which is a huge plus to me- and as everyone has said, performances are top notch.

Some will not like this because it isn't a conventional video game- but then I have never had any interest in GTA or COD, so I suppose one video game type doesn't suit us all. We're pretty lucky to live in a world where Beyond can get made. I hope they're rewarded for taking a chance.
  72. Oct 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. this game should have got 10/10 but there are a few issues.
    1. very confusing first half, shambolic chronology -1 point
    2. no save before the last part of "Black SUN", fail and you have to reload the whole chapter.
    3. dialogue from "broken" chapter missing from the policeman,it was shown in demo (video) after the coffee cup hits the wall, he gets the heebee geebees, gives his excuse and slinks out of the room,this was cut from the final, and takes away immersion.
    4. there's no very hard mode with slow-mo actions cut. would like to play some fight scenes full on.
    5. ludicrous sci-fi story writing with the "condenser" and "infraworld" i almost stopped playing right there. almost as bad as the "Trigens" in Far Cry. a more simpler story about real people would have sufficed, even Dawkins personal spiritworld machine would have been enough and a fitting end if the game was more fleshed out with teen years chapters and CIA missions -3 points
  73. Oct 17, 2013
    This is really amazing game. Starting form technical side Quantic Dream brought to us next-gen game, on current-gen console. Graphics, physics and particle effects are amazing and all this things in stable 30 FPS. Magnificent. Gameplay is also great, but for me the fight sequences are not as natural in controling as they should be(but still they, are really good), also using Aiden is really nice.
    And here we came to story, by cutting it into parts and show us them as not chronologically it should be, only maked this game better. It makes us more interested into some plots than it normally would does.
    Only scratch on this game is that mostly our choices really don't make a difference in story going on but still story is great, and it leaves a lot of space for sequel, hopefully on PS4(maybe PS5 expierence on PS4, just as PS4 expierence on PS3 via this game ).
    I want to say THANK YOU to all people involved in process of making this great game! Once again THANK YOU!
  74. Oct 16, 2013
    During this last year of the current generation of consoles, I've been in awe with the quality of games (see my review history) that I have been so lucky to play and ultimately enjoy.....Beyond Two Souls stands at the top of this list-- the story, the characters, the voice acting and the game play is so brilliant and done with such elegance that it deserves the "10" I have given it....My only reservation is that there are gamers out there who will not buy this game based solely on the misguided tepid reviews of a few critics and users--trust me, they have made a bad call-- and that is a shame because they will be losing out on one of the best journeys they can take in gaming--- Be warned--this is not your typical black op/fantasy/ science fiction shooter or slow mo blood and gore epic-- It is a compelling, emotional trip you take with this young girl (young and older Jodie played so well by both actresses) and you can only do that because of the excellent production values of this story....Thank-you Quantric--it was an awesome experience Expand
  75. Oct 30, 2013
    Wow, what a game! I wasn't expecting anything special since GamesMaster only gave it 60% but now I'm so glad I did give it a go. For anyone that has played Heavy Rain, this game is set out like that, for those of you that haven't, there are a lot of quick time events that take place, meaning you have to think fast! Another thing that makes this similar to Heavy Rain is the fact that every decision you make during game effects the outcome, overall there are about 23 endings for this game (so I have read online) and I've only seen one so far, meaning I'll probably have to play the game again a few more times to see a small number of them.

The storyline itself can be quite confusing to start off with, I didn't really understand what was going on until about 3/4 of the way in which I suppose is a good thing as it makes you want to play through the game to understand what it's all about. It's quite a short game as it only consists of about 26 chapters (a lot less than the 50 or so that Heavy Rain had to offer.) It only took me about a day or so to complete but nevertheless it's still one that's worth picking up. The graphics and voice acting from the likes of Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe make the game very enjoyable and entertaining. However, for those people that aren't into cutscenes and just like to get into the action, I don't think this game is your cup of tea but it's still worth playing anyway.
  76. Oct 11, 2013
    It started strong, was intriguing and held my interest. I played it two player with my wife and we had fun, but as the story developed it started to show how poorly written it was. Small details at first followed by odd reactions (apparently suicide is a-ok?) leading up to a frustratingly dumb ending and reveal. We rented it with the intention of buying if it was good to add to our collection, this will not make it. Long story short, it wasn't worth the rental price to us. Expand
  77. Oct 11, 2013
    Brings Gaming to a whole new level as a story telling medium. The acting/ mocap and realism of the characters and level of detail that went through to making this game is astounding. Not to mention the graphics are the best on consoles to date.
  78. Oct 8, 2013
    Nota 0 sem jogar? então tenho direito de dar nota 10 só pela coragem de se fazer jogos com propostas diferentes, vamos abrir a mente e sair do mesmo do mesmo. A DEMO já mostrou parte disso, espero ao final gostar ou não gostar, mas experimentar, quem disse que gostei do final de The Last of US? mas daria um 0 por que não era o que esperava?
  79. Oct 17, 2013
    Whenever I try to rate this a seven, it changes to a nine. The game is fair, the dialogue is awkward at times. It is what it is. If you liked hard rain, then you will probably like this. I never had the chance to play the two player so I can't comment on that. But overall I enjoyed the game. As fas as I can tell, there is no way to ever fail at anything. You never have to reload or go back. Which is cool. The story keeps moving forward. Expand
  80. Oct 11, 2013
    Captivating. This game is everything The Walking Dead by Felltale Games tried to be. Beautiful in every aspect acting, story, graphically, and lives to tell a story. The flaws presented in this game are flaws that The Walking Dead shared, but people ignored. I am willing to ignore the flaws due to the minor fact that my choices had some impact, unlike they did in The Walking Dead.
  81. Oct 12, 2013
    Game of the Year for me. Ellen Page and William Dafoe were transcendent. Quantic Dream have done the impossible. The game made me sad (many of times), laugh, and nervous. I have never felt that kind of emotion from a video game. Thank you for the amazing experience and thank you Playstation for keeping TRUE storytelling in gaming alive. These types of games make the Playstation ecosystem the special place that it is to play games. The graphics and the gameplay were fantastic and people that are complaining about the gameplay need to go back to their shooters. This type of experience is for a mature audience that can handle narrative without a gun. I really am lost for words. All i can say is Thank You and please SONY, lets think about adding QD as a first party. Expand
  82. Oct 11, 2013
    Beyond Two Souls, con el sello de David Cage,y toques de Fahrenheit, también de Heavy Rain, para mi Beyond una nueva forma de hacer aventuras gráficas! Cinematográfico y emotivo! Con captura de movimiento de Ellen Page y Willem Dafoe, 2 grandes en la industria de los videojuegos! eso si a esos que solo les gusta tirar del gatillo y tirar balas balas,balas, matar, matar, matar, búscate otro juego. Expand
  83. Oct 14, 2013
    People need to understand this is an interactive game like heavy rain and twd, and not expect a cod type shooter. That being said it's one hell of a story, it got me hooked; all but one chapter got me glued to the tv screen. The gameplay has drastically improved from heavy rain a lot more user interaction. Jodie was a very enjoyable and likeable character. I also loved the non-linear story telling, its a great change of pace; heck this whole game was a breath of fresh air. I'm a pretty hardcore gamer and I am starting to get tired of go here kill this in video games. Engaging story, improved gameplay mechanics from heavy rain, the facial animations are one of the best and graphics. The only reason this game isnt a 10, (I believe it could've very easily if it was more of a traditional game) has me drop the game by two scores. I loved the whole Aiden gameplay, and between this, heavy rain and telltale's twd; beyond two soul's is definately the best of interactive story telling game thus far I have ever played. Expand
  84. Oct 31, 2013
    I really love this game. Beyond: Two Souls is a good example of how games are getting grown-up. Unique, highly emotional and very, very touching. The game doesn't focus on game-play, as it is pretty simple, but tells a wonderful movie-like story. You can really feel what Jodie, the main protagonist, is feeling in every situation and you really pity her a lot. The brilliant soundtrack does the rest and even make your tears come. Actually it's an interactive movie. In my opinion the graphics could be a little bit better I know that good graphics don't make a good game, but this game would be so much more realistic with it. If there'll be more exclusives like this on the PS4, I will definitely buy it. I also bought the PS3 more or less just because of games like The Last of Us or Journey. So I'd really love to see more of such games, as they are very rare Expand
  85. Oct 31, 2013
    Is Beyond: Two Souls in the right category Is it a game or a movie I don't really care, in both cases it has the same defects and qualities. Let's start with the qualities : - The pitch is nice, with a great potential for storytelling and character development. - The character is lovable - Graphics are mostly really nice, I say mostly because some facial animations seemed very unnatural to me

And... that's it... let's check what I didn't like
    - The idea of playing scenes in a random order. even though it's "explained" later, it was pointless, and very irritating in the beginning, giving me the sensation that I was given random stories to play for a short time, before jumping to another.
    - It is soooo looonngggg... not in the good way. I have to walk through that corridor Why does everyone walks faster than me It simply makes the scenes longer (and boring), and breaks the rhythm.
    - It's often predictable, It uses schemes already seen, again and again, in too many movies,
    - Same thing for the characters, a lot of them are very cliché. Behind Jodie, most of the characters are transparent and/or irritating.
    - It's supposed to be an interactive movie, but the interactions are only pressing the button that the "game" asks you to press. Some games, behind a gameplay, manage to tell a story while giving some real choices to the player, with consequences on the scenario. Here, nothing, only a few different endings, with the choice just before, making it completely artificial.

In the end, even with it's encouraging concept, this game/movie is disappointing.
    It is a bad movie, a succession of cliché with no rhythm.
    it is a bad game, as the player has no role at all in the story.

Honestly, I think that is someone decides to capture a walkthrough, and makes a good montage of it, cutting boring parts etc., It might become a decent movie... with a lot of cliché, but decent.
    In it's current/official state, it's not worth playing/watching
  86. Oct 22, 2013
    This isn't really a game, let's be honest. This is the same kind of thing that existed when the SEGACD was in vogue and suddenly you could produce interactive movies and the public would gasp and applaud at the technological marvel of it all.

Beyond: Two Souls is exactly that; an interactive movie. That's not necessarily a bad thing, and to be fair it doesn't pretend to be anything
    other than an interactive movie. But it isn't a game. There's no element of challenge or dynamism about the title. This is painting by numbers, the PS3 version.

The reason they market this as a game where you occasionally press X to plod the movie along is because as a standalone movie it wouldn't sell (because of the shoddy story and poor presentation more than anything else!), so they're relying on gamers to think that by pressing the odd button every five minutes that they're involved some how.

And that's why you're getting people using descriptions such as "masterpiece", "beautiful", "emotional" etc. because they've been conned into thinking they've played through something meaningful.

I've heard people say that "it's a good change of pace", that somehow doing next to nothing is a GOOD thing, but you know what you could do if you wanted such a change of place? Watch an actual movie and one with a much, much better storyline than this to boot. Heavy Rain had a bit of substance, so you could arguably get drawn in to the 'whodunnit' aspect of it.

Graphically it is lacklustre to say the least. The controls for the limited amount of "gameplay" here are a jumbled, confused afterthought.

Beyond: Two Souls is 'game' that should be getting poor reviews on Rotten Tomatoes rather than any gaming website. It is ultimately uninspired; full of pretence and very little substance. This review will get hammered by most who have 'played' the game, because they'll be indoctrinated by the pretence on show here, but make no mistake, this is a stinker of a title that you should avoid at all costs.
  87. Nov 7, 2013
    What can I say? I liked it. Sure, sometimes it was just the illusion of gameplay. But it was a fun story (with a couple of slow spots), nice graphics, interesting universe, and great acting by Dafoe and Page.

Kinda short for the price tag, but I had a lot of fun. Laughed out loud at the mechanics a few times, but it was in a good way
  88. Oct 20, 2013
    The animation quality in this game is astounding and it kept that level of quality through the entire game. It also used the hardware it was given to its best extent and even with the PS3 the graphics looked impressive. The concept of the story is interesting and the performance of the people like Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe makes it memorable.

The game got weaknesses like any other
    game and in this case the gameplay could sometimes feel lackluster and i found myself throughout the game wishing that i could have some input on the otherwise great dialogue. The game sometimes forgot that the player is important and went its own way but it did always return to give some agency to the player Expand
  89. Oct 17, 2013
    I am amazed at the low "professional" reviewers score! This is a fantastic game with a excellent story. It actually choked me up a few times. A horrible, vile game like GTA5 (5th sequel here) gets almost perfect scores but a original game like this gets blasted; what a travesty.
  90. Apr 24, 2014
    A little late with this review, but boy was it worth it!
    I do not know what game the magazines are playing, but its certainly not this one. Great game if you like games for the story and twists. Obviously, if you like Heavy rain, you will love this. AMAZING graphics for a ps3, they are pretty much next gen. I would pitch this game as an interactive movie. Acting is top notch and
    characters are very believable. Expand
  91. Nov 6, 2013
    First the good things about the game.
    The character models look awesome even better than all the games I saw for PS4 on Gamescom. There are some memorable scenes. Usually the scenes describing the normal life of Jody are pretty good (the action scenes however are mostly terrible).
    Now the bad things.
    Your Charakter can't die or fail, this kills all the tension (I loved Heavy Rain, where
    every character was able too die and it would have a heavy impact on the outcome of the story).
    The controls are awful. You can move (Jody) more easily than the characters in Heavy Rain but in the quick time events you don't know what to do half the time. When someone attacks you don't know if you should push the stick towards your enemy (attack or counter) or away (for some evasive movement). Why not showing the direction like in Heavy Rain. Controlling Aiden is a pain in the ass too.
    Also there are only very few choices to make. You feel that you always have to do exactly what the game intends you to do. Story Changing Moments are very few.

All in all a great looking game with some good moments, but in total a back step compared to Heavy Rain.
  92. Oct 20, 2013
    Best game I have seen in a long time. Beautiful graphics, realistic character animations, gripping story line.

I stayed up all night and went through the entire game, and then I went out and bought another two copies for my friends, because that is how good this is. I want everyone to experience this, because this is what a good game is.
  93. Oct 14, 2013
    Excellent storytelling, awesome animations. Amazing how they motion captured so much feelings in just walking! Very nice facial animation, though some models seems a bit stiff and boring. Not the most surprising story, but gives good value still. Even if its not completely a linear narrative story, its fairly easy to link all the pieces of the story and kind of get the idea where the story heading. Maybe Ive just seen to much films?

What interested me the most with the game, was how they managed to go seamless between cinematics and gameplay. And even in gameplay it kind of felt like seeing a film. That was also a problem, since I ended with almost forget to press the controller when it was time for me to take control.

Best cinematic game I played so far. Thought that may also be the only problem with it too; that the little gameplay feels a bit boring. Though the gameplay feels more natural after a while, it never really feels it suits the game.

Have only played through once, so looking forward to see more of the alternative story elements.

May not be everyones cup of tea, but its a star in this type of game/interactive movie. If you hate it, you are probably not used to think a bit outside your normal comfort zone. If you love it you are more interesting in seeing a film/playing a film then playing a game... Good that not all games are made for everyone!
  94. Oct 10, 2013
    THE GOOD, Amazing graphics, great performances from Helen Paige and Dafoe, controlling Aiden is fun, interesting characters, some very moving moments in the story.

THE BAD, Combat gameplay is confusing, frustrating, not that satisfying. Story starts off very strong, but then plot holes, poor character behaviors, clichés start to appear. The ending, it feels like David Cage ran out of
    ideas and just went Ah F***k IT, THIS WILL DO". Choices and mistakes are not as important as they were in the heavy rain.

A very good game, i strongly recommend it to any PS3 owner. But the gameplay is rather "Meh". Now i know, i know. "This game is 90% about the story, think of it as an interactive movie experience".

Well... See... I knew all that, and i wasn't expecting much from the gameplay. But if you are going to put all your cards on story... Then i am going to be very demanding on that part.

And well.... 2013 as given us it's fair share of good stories in Video games. Last of us, Bioshock Infinite have far better stories then Beyond two souls and they didn't need to sacrifice the gameplay for it.
    The characters are great, Helen Paige is AMAZING. The story actually starts very good, but then you have the "plot twists" and the story falls from it's own weight.

Quantic dream needs to hire a talented writer (David Cage, like Lindelof tends to force plot twists too much. To the point of breaking a story that actually starts off well). Finally, if QTE is all you're going to deliver, don't put so much emphasis on combat and action. Heavy Rain was perfect as it focused mainly on investigation and exploration. With just a little bit of action to keep things interesting. Beyond two Souls is too many Michael Bay action moments. It doesn't matter how many explosions you put on the screen. It's still just a quick time event.

The "action" sequences bring nothing to the table.

Still i really liked this game, and again i strongly recommend it. But again, for a game that is mostly about story rather then gameplay. And on that aspect, other games that have more gameplay value have managed to deliver much better stories.
  95. Dec 5, 2013
    I believe giving 10 to this game is over rating and giving zero is under rating. We need to become more mature.
    The game falls between 5 and 8. any score between 5 and 8 should be somehow reasonable.
    The game is new for me. First time to do this type of gameplay. And I do have mixed feelings about it. But generally I liked it and I don't mind play it again.
    The controls aren't
    challenging at all. just sometimes confusing. And thankfully the game doesn't punish you for failing. Except for few areas. I felt is somehow realistic. As you aren't supposed to be super hero. And if you are then you truly managed your controller very well and you deserve it :)
    Ok the Story. Very interesting story. But I think Cage got too excited and didn't deliver what he really wanted to tell. Making the story fragile. I didn't like the jumps in the timeline. I would prefer it playing it in ordered sequence. For example in Homeless chapter I wanted to know why Jodie run away. She said that she was being used. I wanted to know how and in what way. And actually I would prefer to know that before playing this chapter.

Decisions you made in the game has no effect in anyway. It just could change the game play but not how the story will flow. Decisions and conversation control are there just to keep you interacting with the game and cut scenes

Acting in superior. All actors. Homeless chapter was fantastic in acting.
    I agree that there are moments that where boring in the game. Specially when you replay a chapter. You just wish to be able to skip few parts. You already knew.

Saving. Why I can't pause and save my game! This one feature I really would love to have. I wanted to be able to save at some point to be able to return and restart from that point. I don't want to replay a whole chapter to just do one single different action.

It's not easy to like this game and if you do you'll love it so much. And if not you'll just hate it.
    I gave it 6.5 on IGN and I will give it here 7

One last thing. Please guys be mature in reviewing. don't score games just because it's score is too low or too high. No need to be fan boys. This game isn't 10 nor zero. It's a good game. But got missed up for some reason. And this is acceptable. No need to be radical.
  96. Dec 11, 2013
    Amazing story, incredibly acted. I had a lot more fun and felt a lot more emotions playing this than Heavy Rain, which was praised so much. I would definitely rate this one higher than the shallow Heavy Rain. Review sites giving this low reviews should be ashamed of themselves. Average User Scores are a lot more reliable on most occasions!
  97. Dec 21, 2013
    There is no other game like this one. It's a journey. It's a experience. Beyond two souls has one of the best graphics(especially faces are very detailed), amazing soundtrack(Lorne Balfe and Hans Zimmer as composers) and excellent performance from Ellen Page and Willem Dafoe. But where beyond two souls fails is it's story and for a story driven game that's not so good. The plot has it's great moments but overall the story is unfocused and confusing. What's most irritating is that the plot leaves too many unanswered questions. Dialog could have been better also and your choices and actions don't have such a great effect on the story. After all this rant I have to say that Beyond two's story has it's moments. The game includes interesting themes like life after death. Well-developed characters with evolving personalities. Expand
  98. Oct 11, 2013
    After each hour spent on this game, I get different emotions, sometimes it's sadness, joy, loneliness, despair.
    Project is unique, but not for everyone.
    The actors are great, good story, good music, graphics and design are lovely. ambitious project.
  99. Oct 20, 2013
    Well, sorry, but i can't understand when reviewers say something like "lacklustre story" or "limited gameplay". Yes, story have it's problems and holes but this game made me attached to it's characters, empathize em and actually feel some emotions toward what happening on my screen. And last game (not the game as a whole, but final scene) that did it for me was Metal Gear Solid 4. Also after Heavy Rain you expect what? Duke Nukem 3D? Beyond is the same kind of interactive story as Heavy Rain were and i'm totally fine with that. Lower the game score because it's not like in your wet dreams? That's kind of strange thing in my eyes.
    As for the visual part of Beyond i don't think it's possible to pull out something more amazing from old consoles. I played Beyond right after i finished single part of GTA 5, the game was met by many reviewers as a graphical masterpiece that managed to do incredible things with that limited resources this gen consoles can offer, but i can say that Beyond is far better in my opinion. Yes, it's has it's own problems, low res textures here and there, but character models looks really amazing (while in GTA 5 i literally run away from strip club after i saw that dreadful dancers models and animation). I'm really impressed.
    As for story, i found it's good overall but i have i lot of moments that made me wonder how is that even possible. First of all i can't get some reviewers with their "What starts as an emotional, exciting story, ends up being a grotesque tidal wave of paranormal crap". Huh? It's starts with a little girl that have an invisible friend that can choke people to death. Nothing paranormal here, more along. I just can't get it. The whole story is about that, about how people look at that, about how they react at that things. Form a random boy on a street all the way up to Pentagon. But i have to be honest i have my share of problems with game story. There were a few moments i was like "why it's so random? If only i knew this before i have done things in a different way!". In the end it's explained why story is such a mess, but still you'll probably have this problem on your first walkthrough. WARNING SOME MINOR SPOILERS AHEAD! Most questions i have to some kind of weird Aiden behaviour. Looks like story sometimes forget that he is absolutely independent entity just "chained" to Jodie. Remember that Chin...oh shi~...that Whateverstan base? When Nik killed guard that was under Aiden control? And Jodie recoiled for some reason. I don't get why. Well, i could understand if Aiden get angry for that (that could be unpleasant for him) but Jodie that have nothing to do with that? Also on one hand he can stop Desert Eagle bullets fired from almost point blank range, deal with entire SWAT team prepared for combat (ok, they can't do a thing to him, but can do to Jodie) but cliche thing like baseball bat or assault rifle butt hit from behind is like ultimate move against him (worked 3 times out of 3 for me). Why? Or sometimes he is like "Whatever i'll act like i'm not even here". Like all the times while Jodie is fighting for her life Aiden must be flying around munching popcorn like "What a show! Oh my!". Otherwise i don't see a reason why he can't help. Like with first "zombie" in first condenser lab. Jodie fighting on her own, but few minutes later Aiden killing like 10 of that "zombies" (and even more entities)? Also i can't get that homeless part. Yeah, freezing on a street. Even worse, this "oh taking money to survive from ATM is such a bad thing". I can't even imagine that after 10 years of doing all that dirty jobs on CIA, including assassinations, after your country treat you like after almost everyone treat you like ****...I can believe in Max Payne story, where in situation like this you will go forward with guns blazing against all odd till the end, because you have nothing to lose at all, but i can't believe in that. Or at the end. Cole: -We are going to die anyway. Everyone:-Yeah, we get it. A minute later Cole falls and entities kill him. Jodie:-Noooooo, Cole!!!!11 WTF, aren't you get it that it's a one way trip anyway and that doesn't matter if Cole dies sooner or later? END OF SPOILERS. So as you can see there are a lot of holes and weird things in Beyond story (and i tell you just a part of it), but somehow that didn't spot me from enjoying this game so much.
    As for gameplay. Well, don't expect much. It's almost identical to Heavy Rain: QTEs, some item hunting and sometime game allow you to choose what to say (truth of lie, get angry of stay calm and etc). Not much but i wasn't hoping for something more anyway. Maybe you can say that game is short (it took me about 8 hours to finish), but it kept me playing non-stop. I started it in the morning and just after i finish it i realise that it dark outside already and i haven't eat or drink a thing for the whole day...
    So i strongly recommend this game to everyone who liked Heavy Rain or Fahrenheit. 9/10
  100. Oct 22, 2013
    People still don't know how to rate this game properly because simply a new Genre.
    It is an INTERACTIVE MOVIE...and therefore any rating should be given relays heavily on the story.
    That's another problem, because each person has a different taste in movies.

So basically I gave it a 9 based on my taste in movies and though there are some cliches...I still mostly enjoyed the story
    really much...

Looking forward to part 2 if any!!

1. Dec 28, 2013
    There doesn't ever seem to be any real impact of the player's decisions, actions or failures. [Jan 2014, p.76]
  2. Dec 12, 2013
    Beyond: Two Souls is a capital failure as both a story and as a game. The adventure plays itself and the player is left to push the right buttons in the right order. The story you are rewarded with is a mess of odd writing and poor directing choices from a game creator that obviously wants to create great art but seems to be incapable of doing so. Even fans of Fahrenheit and Heavy Rain should prepare for what is unfortunately a monumental disappointment.
  3. Nov 24, 2013
    A story every Playstation owner should experience.