8.5

1. Apr 9, 2013
    The game looks great and you can tell they put a lot into it but something was lacking. The atmosphere is great at the beginning as well as the introduction of Elizabeth. I wanted to explore everything and found myself stopping to play the games on the boardwalk. Hearing the conversations going on in the city is a boon as well.

as for the gameplay...Vigors seem as though they are added

as for the gameplay...Vigors seem as though they are added only because it is a Bioshock game and really don't seem to fit in the Columbia world. Shooting seemed pretty much standard fare. The skyrail seemed fun at first but a couple of times became confusing even throttling the thing. Perhaps that's realistic but still very frustrating.

I remember looking for every recording in Bioshock just to find the history of all the characters but with Infinite I skipped the search because after a while it just became too tedious. The overall storyline was interesting only because it had one twist I did not see coming....the first one you can see a mile away...as to who Elizabeth really is but to who Dewitt is....shocker(at least for me). I did love the brother/sister duo (best humor in the game) but the rest of the plot just seemed uneven. The bosses you fight are really pretty unimpressive to the ones found in Bioshock...they actually seemed generic in comparison...and that includes their history.

Honestly, I found that the thrill had worn off halfway through the game and I found myself pushing speedily through it just so I could finish it before I lost all interest.
  2. Dec 8, 2013
    In my opinion this game is pretty good, but not great, the gameplay was kinda boring and columbia for me seemed like it was there so they could slap in a new city, but with those issues it still had a fantastic and believable story, great graphics, and while the gameplay was a litte boring the shooting is still decent, this game is good, just doesn't deserve the reviews it got
  3. Dec 30, 2013
    I think bioshock infinite is the most overrated game of this gen it's truly a nice game specially the storyline but still farbehind TR,TLOU,GTA V and even DmC
  4. Oct 16, 2013
    Beautiful world with an engaging story, but I found the gameplay to be rather lack luster, with fun moments too far and few between. I've played the other two Bioshocks as well and so far my opinion on them remains the same, worth renting and playing through once, then sending it back on its way. To me they just don't have any replay value, it's a great one time experience though.
  5. Nov 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock Infinite opens very well. The set design, voice acting and atmosphere are incredible out of the gate.

Of the three, only voice acting continues to thrive by the half way point. Set designs move from vibrant and interesting to the same green-blue and black grittiness of the original Bioshock. The sets coupled with miniscule enemy variation lead to monotonous battle sequences for pointless plot progressions.

Much of the game is making excuses not to follow up on the theming we were promised. We fetch a key from a mad man to set up Booker's remorse, run around some factory in an extremely drawn out fetch quest that never really culminates, we run around chasing a ghost to open a box that ends up being pointless and then the American exceptional-ism and classist commentary get dropped for disconnected sequences that feel like a retreat to vagaries.

Characters are likable but the game is sort of a slog.
  6. Mar 3, 2014
    First half of the game was a joy to play, fun to explore and great to experience. However, the second half of the game feels like a completely different game and becomes repetitive and tedious. After just a few battles after the transition into the more generic run and gun gameplay sections, it like more of a chore and less of a pleasure to carry on playing. The story was the only thingFirst half of the game was a joy to play, fun to explore and great to experience. However, the second half of the game feels like a completely different game and becomes repetitive and tedious. After just a few battles after the transition into the more generic run and gun gameplay sections, it like more of a chore and less of a pleasure to carry on playing. The story was the only thing that made me carry on until the end. Won't be playing this game again any time soon. Expand
  7. Apr 2, 2013
    Tbh, this was one of the games I was really looking forward to.

I loved the first Bioshock, I played that through to see both endings and it is a masterpiece of gaming. It's atmospheric, it's gripping, it's frantic and it has one of the best moments in gaming when you first come across a Big Daddy. That fear is something else. The second one was very nearly on par but just coding quite
    Tbh, this was one of the games I was really looking forward to.

The second one was very nearly on par but just coding quite capture that magic.

Which is exactly what this game is missing, atmosphere. I can't put my finger on it but it just doesn't quite get it. It don't know whether its the generic enemies, the laughable Uncharted like arena sets where you just know there will be a gunfight or the fact that all the way through the game the plot feels like you're always having to go backwards to go forwards.
    The trailer made this out to be frantic and fun where in reality it's very linear and you just follow the route you're told to go. A few times i found myself going to places in plot lines where I'd already explored.
    But more than anything it just loses that "feel". Being in the sky it loses that crucial atmosphere and for the most part you could be in any number of games.
    The weapon system is the same, hurrah. Apart from you can only have 2 weapons and 2 powers at any one time. Annoying. You find yourself running out of or looking for ammo a lot, Elizabeth sometimes helps out but only when she feels like, there's no way to ask for more.

All in all, it's a good game but its not Bioshock as we know it. The story is contrived and tried to take on too many taboos, you quickly become bored of the black/white/Irish thing. If it had less story, more atmosphere and some of that old magic it could be great but it's not.

Shame really as it could have been brilliant. But like Tomb Raider they've tried to reinvent and push it, in doing so they've missed the mark, not by much, but enough to sour the taste.
  8. Apr 7, 2013
    For me Bioshock Infinite shines in the first few hours. The world of Columbia floating in the clouds is beautiful and very much alive. It's a new experience and setting unlike anything seen in a video game; much like the original Bioshock. But it's faults out weighs it's feats. Further into the game you lose the sense of being in a spectacular city in the clouds. The levels start to feelFor me Bioshock Infinite shines in the first few hours. The world of Columbia floating in the clouds is beautiful and very much alive. It's a new experience and setting unlike anything seen in a video game; much like the original Bioshock. But it's faults out weighs it's feats. Further into the game you lose the sense of being in a spectacular city in the clouds. The levels start to feel empty, and generic. Enemies are as plain as any other first person shooter grunt. Bioshock infinite uses an old gaming formula; Kill all enemies in the location to proceed to next level. This becomes more like a choir than a thrilling experience. Bioshock infinite put a lot of emphasis on their sky hooks. Making us think this was a big part of the game. We could fly through the city turning, looping, dipping, and spinning our way through the city; in reality sky hooks is but a small portion of the game, and they are a continuous loop on small portions of a particular stage. Weapons now have iron sight which is completely useless. I can get a head shot from across the map shooting from the hip. Weapon upgrades are no fun, you can visually see a upgrade as you would in Bioshock 1. I can go over and on about where this game shoots and misses but it would be quite a lot to write down. For me there was no defining moment in Infinite. It only really picks up at the very end when the pieces of the story are reviewed. It was an enjoyable experience, but fell quite short from being great game. Expand
  9. Apr 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I want to preface this by saying that Bioshock is great, one of my favorite games ever. Now for the first half of Bioshock Infinite, I thought I would end up liking it more than the original. The first half is AMAZING. The graphics are beautiful, the story is engaging, the gameplay is perfectly paced, etc. But the moment you step through a tear "never to come back", the story starts getting pretty bad. The moment you enter another world, you have no idea if the characters are the same as they used to be. We don't know if Comstock and Fitzroy and Fink are the same anymore, since it's a different world. And I think the writers knew that too, because they pretty much stop developing all characters except Booker and Elizabeth at that point. Fink randomly dies and Fitzroy goes inexplicably crazy (actually, I CAN explain it; the developers needed you to be able to fight someone) even though those characters had been built up throughout the first half. I got no sense of closure with either of those characters. I realize that the game is supposed to have DEEP parallels to Bioshock since, you know, Booker is Andrew Ryan (he can control the Bathysphere), but the parallels seemed incredibly forced. I got the feeling that the story would not have gone the way it did if Ken Levine didn't have his ending set in stone. If you didn't notice the parallels, here are a few: crazy leader builds city around ideals; someone opposes him; there's a guy who builds stuff for him; girl(s) in blue dress(es) have magical powers and are guarded by mechanical monster(s); eccentric scientist gave girl(s) the magic. With Bioshock, you get the sense that most of the conflict occurred over a long period of time. You know that everyone's dead from the get-go, and you're learning how it happened. But with Infinite, Levine needed stuff to be the same way so he could get his, "You didn't know it, but you were playing Bioshock the whole time!" ending, so it seemed rushed. The city went to chaos over a couple weeks. Near the end, it also started to get super over-dramatic and the gameplay began to stagnate. First half/third/whatever: 10/10 for sure. The rest: ishy/10. I'd say it averages to a 7. Expand
  10. Apr 2, 2013
    I must be the strangest Bioshock fan in the world.

My personal favorite is Bioshock 2 and I'm not afraid to admit is one of my favorite games of all time; it impressed me where the original didn't; story wise, gameplay, artistic style, etc... Now... after a long wait, after demos, pictures and many trailers teasing us for the next entry where Bioshock is now taking us to the new city
    I must be the strangest Bioshock fan in the world.

Now... after a long wait, after demos, pictures and many trailers teasing us for the next entry where Bioshock is now taking us to the new city of Columbia; a fresh new place to tell a completely new story and to marvel us once again... have Ken Levine and Irrational Games delivered the game of a generation? I'm going to say "No"

Now don't get me wrong... Bioshock Infinite is a great game and a most own; however I know how critics and fanboys have reacted and to be fair I think is quite a bit too much. The story is fantastic no doubt, it touches many human and social topics in a way we haven't looked at before, the characters are likable, the world of Columbia is fascinating and is overall awesome, but the passing was poorly executed has there is little time to meet the characters we are seeing and untimely making it hard to care for their fate safe for Booker and Elizabeth.

In the previous game I could relate with Subject Delta and Jack because were my choices what defined their characters and their ultimate outcome, Booker is the opposite he is himself and I found myself liking him but just like I wish I could and Elizabeth is a very likable and a nice character.

Gameplay wise is nothing revolutionary, it functions around the basic FPS style of this generation without really bringing anything new to the table, you are restricted to only two guns at a time, you cannot carry med packs with you anymore either can you carry salts, regenerable shields serves to mask the "regenerable health" must shooters use now days, little to no RPG elements in the overall game (the gear upgrades felt rather pointless IMO) no real variety in combat; but it's not bad or uninteresting... the occasional handy man or tin man battles actually demand quick adaptations and fast decisions, vigors give an interesting dynamic to the fight just like Bioshock 1 and 2 did before with their plasmids and Elizabeth is actually an wonderful asset to the fights.

Bioshock Infinite is a great game and I will never get tired of saying it, but is just not the fascinating game the critics and fans say it is, maybe in the future people will eventually look back and notice the things this game has for and against it...
  11. Mar 29, 2013
    Upon finishing the game, I reacted really negatively to the ending. If I can remember correctly I screamed "WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU?!!" and threw my controller across the room.

It was mind-blowing and clever, yet suffered the same fundamental storytelling flaws that Mass Effect 3 (and to a lesser extent AC3) did. It's a complete deus ex machina, introducing major plot elements

It's a complete deus ex machina, introducing major plot elements in the last minute that do not correlate properly to the preceding game (albeit despite flashes of foreshadowing). All development of the world and characters is dropped in favour of an over-ambitious, genre-changing, "look how clever we are!" stab at the audience. Everything is ultimately erased, with all the themes of racism, religion, capitalism v. communism, slavery and patriotism completely and utterly abandoned.

The ending is less BioShock and more Mass Effect 3. Besides, Phillip Pullman did it better. The developers felt that, in order to please the high expectations of fans, they had to make the ending overtly transcendent. To quote the Bard, this was a case of "Vaulting ambition, which o'erleaps itself, and falls on t'other side."

I liked the game did not love it.
  12. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 9.5 -Ign ...come on people seriously?
    Yes, its a great game, but only on its own. By no means would i consider this a Bioshock game. Even while acknowledging the few critical plot holes, the meat of this game is in its story and not in its gameplay. Ex. Half way through the game you'll get involved in a race war. The blacks, Asians and other minorities join the Vox and fight back against the bigoted Columbians. However the game fails to mention how such a massive amount of these people came to live here in the slums in the first place considering how racially prejudice the whole of the city was from the get go. Gameplay-wise, compared to previous Bioshock titles, feels severely dumbed down. You have a regenerating shield, can only carry two weapons and two plasmids at a time and they REMOVED HACKING!!! Elizabeth being latched on to your ankles throwing you ammo, health, salts (equivalent of adam for plasmids) in my opinion made the game feel too easy. Its not as eerie as the previous titles were either. There's also no real choice, or different endings you can get based on your behavior during the game. This is explained later and is certainly not that big a deal, but again, compared to previous Bioshock games, its too different. Elizabeth can also teleport in objects from other dimensions when you tell her to. These are usually either sentry guns, hooks or cover. I found them to obstruct my view and offer little actual support when I truly needed it. Last thing I would like to mention is the skyline gimmick. Just don't expect to zip across from one end of town to the other. These are looped and placed in certain areas where you'll usually have to survive waves of enemies before you can continue. They can get you to certain ledges and otherwise un-reachable platforms, but that's about it. Oh, and that big mean motherf***er, Songbird. You know? The spiritual equivalent to a big daddy? Yeah... don't expect to fight him.

10/10 Unforgettable? My ass
    The story is great, no doubt about that.
    The gameplay is where this title truly suffers and you should be aware of that before you buy it.
    And you should buy it too.... or just watch a "lets play" on youtube... either way works to be quite frank.
  13. Mar 26, 2013
    This game is okay. I'll be honest though the first two Bioshock games I didn't think were as amusing as reviews dictated. I picked this up because face it, this is a really slow year for games thus far so I figured why not. It's a good game but I don't see why it is averaging the 95/100 that it currently is. Bioshock is one of those games that I will never understand the great hypeThis game is okay. I'll be honest though the first two Bioshock games I didn't think were as amusing as reviews dictated. I picked this up because face it, this is a really slow year for games thus far so I figured why not. It's a good game but I don't see why it is averaging the 95/100 that it currently is. Bioshock is one of those games that I will never understand the great hype behind. My advice? If you're really set on buying it, wait until it drops in price. Just like the other two Bioshock games the price drop will occur rather soon and severely. This game just isn't worth $60 in my opinion. It's good in it's own right but I would pay no more than $40 absolute max for it. The artwork is great but the gameplay is lacking. If you buy games because of artwork then this is for you. If you buy it for gameplay, wait until it is cheaper. Expand
  14. Apr 2, 2013
    For the life of me, I wanted to give this game a 1 on here just to try and aid to the lowering of the overall score, but my morals don't allow it. I will however give it what it deserves in my opinion... A 6. I fell into the hype and reviews that the game was getting, so I ended up buying it. It is beyond me how the game has such a high score.
    Gameplay: Incredibly generic and repetitive.
    Gameplay: Incredibly generic and repetitive. I was expecting something rather unique and different than usual, but all I got was a dumbed down version of the first bioshock. The game is completely smooth and does what it needs to do (be a shooter), but that got old after the first 2 hours of play.
    AI: Hm.. To make a long story short, it's terrible.
    Visuals: Throw my back to 2010, and I'd have to say it looks pretty amazing. The colors are vibrant, graphics are very nice and it has a warm feeling. We are, however, in 2013. I've seen so many games in the last 2 years that blow me away, and have an incredible amount of substance and options more than this game. The attention to some details (or lack thereof) is quite annoying as well.

All in all I find it hard to play the game for more than 40 minutes at a time... And from what I've heard, the ending is a mind blowing experience. Shame I'll have to actually finish the game to get to it. For being a shooter, it's as basic as it gets. Take the first bioshock (Completely unique and amazing to this day) shred it down to please the masses, and you have Infinite.
    I seem to say a lot of negative about it... Only because 80% of you reviewers along with critics praise it like it's a cure for cancer, tricking me into being all-to-excited for this next installment. I do have a strong desire to go back and play the first Bioshock though. That much I'll thank Infinite for.
  15. Mar 29, 2013
    most over rated game of the year. its not that great but maybe good and not even THAT good but also not bad for an FPS game. tbh, FPS is not my type of games but with all the hype and 10/10 scores here and there I decided to give it a shot maybe I'll like it and I was wrong. I wish I saved my money for other games like Resident Evil Revelations or The Last of Us... now there are def my type...
  16. Sep 2, 2013
    Not sure why all the fuss about this game. I got the game and I think it's OK nothing special. The gameplay is pretty plain and the game in general is just not exciting. I wouldn't recommend this game to people there are many other games that are spectacular. Avoid.
  17. Feb 28, 2014
    My honest opinion is this game has a unique setting. It doesn't have many huge differences from bioshock infact it lacks some of the great customizable skills or atleast to me all the skills seem exactly the same with new visuals. The AI is terrible I know everyone said how great the AI was but to me she always got in the way and tells me to take crap at the most inappropriate times and ifMy honest opinion is this game has a unique setting. It doesn't have many huge differences from bioshock infact it lacks some of the great customizable skills or atleast to me all the skills seem exactly the same with new visuals. The AI is terrible I know everyone said how great the AI was but to me she always got in the way and tells me to take crap at the most inappropriate times and if you don't do it right away she forgets about it. It would be nice if i could finish killing the guys before being bothered for crap like that. I've ran into too many enemies that stand infront of you and do nothing. Including many times when unlocking safes/doors where she would run in the wrong direction then teleport to the safe. The guns feel bland and nothing special unlike previous games. The only good thing about your companion is her talking/story to keep you from shooting yourself from boring game play. The entire skyrail feels like i'm playing batman.. since its the only good use for it is jumping on enemies for easy kills. Besides the story nothing new. The story is what saves this game, Unique and memorable characters and unique visuals. In terms of gameplay its fallen short its mindless gameplay which really is press this button and win. The attempt of adding strategy with tears really just makes things easier for anyone that knows how to press a button. Many tears which for some reason only appear after you completed a part of the story even though you already been to the same map. Adding no variety on how you fight each battle. Since its the same tears for the same battles. The visuals were amazing the map design not so much the levels were small clunky full of dead ends and nothing to explore unless told to by elizabeth. Lots of invisible walls preventing you from collecting items/money. I enjoyed the 1st,2nd and 3d but sadly the thrill of bioshock gameplay lost its excitement the 3rd time around. You will only play this for the story, You will not remember anything about the gameplay. I suggest watching a let's play than actually play the game you will be more relax and drinking beer/snacks, because if you play this You will get annoyed by the buggy ai and lack of new gameplay. Expand
  18. Apr 9, 2013
    If this was a movie review, I'd give it a 9. But I don't much care for paying $60 for a movie, and as a game it's really nothing special, and I'd even say some of it's gimmicky gameplay is a bit annoying. If you're like me, you'll plow through it in a day or two, think about the cool story once or twice and never play it again.
  19. Apr 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok, so I am a huge fan of the Bioshock games, and think that 1 and 2 are the best FPS on the consoles. They have everything, the challenge, the flexibility, the fun, the hacking, the dark story, the easy to follow story line, the planning for whenever you need to fight a big daddy, then the excitement when you hit him and you hear that roar as he charges towards you. the different environments, all unique in setup, even if the monsters were not. Overall a huge couple of games and IMO a solid 9/10.

Then we get to infinite, and it seems that the developers from the first 2 have left or gone to other things, because nearly all of what made BS1/2 great is gone. The challenge is gone, the flexibility(less plasmids or whatever the heck they are called), and the plasmids we do have are unimpressive for the most. Only 2 guns allowed now so no flexibility in guns. The hacking..gone. The excitement of facing a foe like the big daddy is gone. No creature even close to it exists in infinity.

And then we get the story. Now the stories from 1 and 2 were reasonably straightforward and easy to follow. But in infinite, they have taken leave of their senses and created something truly obscure and impossible to follow. Any1 who has watched the film "inception" with dreams inside dreams inside dreams will be getting close to infinite. You go through a "tear" and you end up in the same place but as part of an alternate reality, then you start time travelling, then you go back, and forwards. You end up not knowing who the heck you are fighting and what/when you are. Even the final scenes do not do a great job of explaining it all.(look at the official forums, full of people going wtf? or is my understanding correct or please explain). Why did they do this? What did they hope to achieve with such a messed up convoluted story. As far as I can see it gave them an excuse to reuse the same piece of environment over and over and over again. See above about unique environments in BS1/2. And the atmosphere created is not dark and scary like BS1/2, not even close.

Now, infinite is not a bad game and it should be played by fans of FPS and BS alike, but it certainly is not worth the 9.5 given by reviewers. I've played BS1 and 2 several times, platinum'd both and will still play them again. BS infinite is now on my shelf, and I can't see any reason to take it down and play it again, when it's predecessors were so much better.
  20. Mar 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. THE ENDING OH GOD IT HURTS MY BRAIN!
    The game was awesome but just the ending.
    What were they thinking it makes no sense.
    Also the twins make no sense
  21. Apr 3, 2013
    Bioshock Uncharted:

Bioshock Uncharted:

The first two Bioshock games were great in comparison to this, I'm baffled by the press and their praise of it. It's obvious that story telling took a priority, and in doing so removed key aspects that made it's predecessors successful. The collision detection is terrible and the options for customization are a step backward. Contrary to Rapture there is no map, and each level is a linear path pushing you to the end of the "game" which really makes the whole thing more of a game-movie. This game attempts originality but borrows aspects from the Uncharted series and dabbles with concepts from Valves's masterpiece Half Life 2.

Despite these shortfalls, the setting, sound effects, music and art direction keep you entertained and curious for what lies ahead. Decent voice acting, clever plot twists also help move the game along and strike some empathy with the characters.

In the end the lack of sustenance provided makes for a poor comparison to it's predecessors.
  22. Mar 27, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Would you Kindly read this whole review. Beat the game the day it came out on hard. It has a nice long game length for being primarily a shooter. The back tracking of the previous games is gone. Once you move on to a new area you are down with the other. So make sure you are ready to move on. It's not a major thing but still i wish that i could have gone back to some of the beginning areas after i learned some of the preferred hiding methods of the designers. This is an amazing game which i would love to say is GOTY for me...but...sadly I found its spirit wanting(though it still has no equal yet.). It falls, 'ironically', prey to its own devices from Bioshock 1. Where you learn that you are only doing things because your told...and your choices matter not. Well Bioshock infinite has some choices...but with no real effect. I half expect Mr. Ryan to come out at the end and just laugh at me for thinking that they made a difference. The game tries to explain this away by saying the end was inevitable no matter what...but the words still ring hollow, because the game is about freedom. But you have none. (But, no matter what you get the cage. There is no bird.) To better explain it. Think of a coin toss. Heads or tails, it doesn't matter the coin will still fall. I guess the only reason i am slightly disappointed is because i thought the coin could fly. It just becomes to linear...too obviously linear. On another note, two key characters of the game are just under-developed. Leader of the Vox. With out spoiling too much you find out something important about their supposed past. But nothing comes of it. it just is there. And it is a pretty important thing of how they came to be in their position. And after you wrap up that part of the story with them...That's it for them. It comes to a pretty solid end...but still its like they never existed after wards. If you doubt me play through that whole part again. and then right after try to focus on how people react to what happened. Maybe i missed something in my exploration, but after it was like they never existed, there was no real aftershock. And the second is the person that is directly tied to the Vox leader, Mr Fink; and he falls pray to the same thing i'm afraid. He just had no effect at the end. No ripples(not a major thing i never really cared for him, but the void left in his wake just kinda bothered me.) These are my only real complaints. other than this, the game play is spot on. the Sky rails are done well(if limited in use). Everything else seems to be in top shape.The story is decent. The twists are interesting...but almost all are foresee-able. The ending is...awesome and unexpected, but what you find out from it is also foresee-able(if you explored and collected most of the "Diaries" and have a slight notion of the butterfly effect. but, even knowing nothing of it you can still piece together a good deal just with what happens over the course of the game). Its like knowing all the actors before they hit the spotlight, but not knowing the stage or the performance. The main reason this amazing game gets a 7/10 instead of a 10/10 is mainly because of the illusion of choice. Now how can i take off three points for something almost all game do? Well after bioshock 1 and the twist of that i guess i am just disappointed that this game came to this point. After i beat the game I instantly went to see if my ending was different from others based on the choices I made...but I was only greeted by finding out that no matter what it was the same. I feel it held itself back from greatness, because the most important choice you will ever make it that game is whether to upgrade your guns or your powers because money(for me) was sparse. Maybe 3 points off is a little harsh, but to me it was a major thing that mattered. Most choices weren't as pivotal as save the little sister or harvest her to survive easier. But, the choices in this game big or same had no big game changing effect. I can not stress that enough. See how much it bothers me? In conclusion My score is a 7/10 but a more fair score would be a 8.5/10 just for some minor things i had come to expect in the series(i.e. back tracking, research, and pivotal choices.) But i would recommend this game to anyone and everyone. So would you kindly... go play it? Expand
  23. Mar 28, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite was a good game, but didn't give me the same 'wow' feeling as the original. The story was pretty clique but i feel the fantastic visuals make up for this. The ending to me though, was slightly unfulfilling, but not as bad as Mass Effect 3's.
  24. Apr 4, 2013
    Okay, so, a little setting. Bioshock holds a special place in my heart as my favorite game of all time. I've put ridiculously large amounts of my life into exploring every facet that game has to offer. Moving on. Infinite is a fantastic game and every gamer should pick this up... Unless you're a Bioshock fan.
    World/ Backstory: I'm not sure I could quite put my finger on it, but
    World/ Backstory: I'm not sure I could quite put my finger on it, but Infinite manages to capture the spark of the original in terms of its backstory. Every audio diary is full of interesting character and powerful voice acting that makes you believe these are real people. I think this really speaks to Ken Levine being present during the recording sessions. He was able to push them to their best. The world, while very very surreal, has flaws that reflect reality during the 20's. Racism is a glaring issue in Columbia that seems to be at a fever pitch. While I loved feeling everything that Columbia was going through, there were very few times when the atmosphere left me scarred or tense. Generally, the color palette made me feel at ease with it's bright, sunshine colorfulness. Another aspect to point out is the shocking amount of NPCs. They're everywhere. Gossiping, playing arcade games, swimming, riding the skyline, shooting you, everything you would expect city goers to be doing in a game The isolation of Bioshock is most definitely gone in Infinite. You can decide for yourself if that's good or bad. For me, it kind of brought a frown to my face.
    Level Design: You will be able to tell almost instantly that this is the work of Irrational. Level design gives many nods to Bioshock, especially anytime you step inside a building. Propaganda placed in extravagant, impossible to miss locations, a sense of grudge and dirtiness is everywhere, and layers upon layers of juicy fog. Many doors open automatically similar to Bioshock. There does seem to be less emphasis on exploration. There are little side quests, but they're usually nothing deeper than: go get this thing in order to get that object. This is something that really bothers me. Bioshock had much more backtracking and complex level design for you to sink your mind into, and it all feels very streamlined in Infinite. You aren't even given a designated map.
    Sound Design: Speaking as an audio engineer, the sound design is bone chillingly incredible. Your first steps on Columbia soil will set a tone for a game like I've never heard or seen before. Walking through the halls of a temple dedicated to Comstock you hear voices singing. I'm not sure what plug-in/ recording techniques they used, but the reverberation is so rich, I didn't want to leave the area, I just wanted to sit there and listen.
    Characters: I'll just focus on Elizabeth here. If I had to define her in one phrase, I'd say she is a disney princess. Wide eyed, full of curiosity. Her AI scripting is really something to experience. Unlike most other escort games, Elizabeth will interact with the world. She'll walk over to a table, and examine the bottles of whisky topled onto an unfinished plate of food. She'll get cotton candy from a vendor at the arcade. It'll floor you.
    Story: It's here that most of my complaints begin. You have your artists and engineers slave over these incredible environments, so unique and awe inspiring. But before you get a chance to really soak it all in, the game is dragging you to another area of the city. In Bioshock, I never felt rushed. In Infinite, I feel rushed maybe 80% of the time. The story is an absolute roller coaster. It's fantastic, and will grab you instantly, but it makes world exploration frustrating because you never have much time to breathe. This is fun and appeals to a larger audience, but if you are like me, you like to stay in one area and really get to know it until it becomes your own. Gone in Infinite. Bioshock was really a collection of stories. You would go from one area to another hearing the tales of mad men, Steinman to Cohen. This made for very steady pacing. A pacing for gamers, not movie enthusiast (you don't play a game for the same reason you watch a movie).
    Game Mechanics: And it's here that I cry out in agony. Plasmids have been dumbed down. 4 of the 8 vigors do very similar things. Hacking is, in essence, gone. All of this is not necessarily a bad thing, just to me. Hacking turrets was an incredibly gratifying experience. Honestly, the mechanics have become extremely tight. You no longer worry about health packs or keeping an inventory of salts. Guns no longer have multiple ammo types. My first thought was: this system be great for multiplayer. It made me wonder if some of the multiplayer mentality stuck around after it was cut. Making great mechanics for a multiplayer experience, and mechanics for a single player experience are two very different things.
    Don't get me wrong, this game is a work of art, but if you are a Bioshock fan, prepare to be a little disappointed.
  25. Apr 10, 2013
    Universal acclaim? 95/100? 9/10? As if. This game is mediocre at best, sorry guys. The only redeeming qualities are the graphics, the very artistic environment, and the voice acting. The story is one big cliche with a predictable ending (unless you haven't read a good book in the past 20 years). It's a shame that people are setting something like this as "par" for a game now a days. TheUniversal acclaim? 95/100? 9/10? As if. This game is mediocre at best, sorry guys. The only redeeming qualities are the graphics, the very artistic environment, and the voice acting. The story is one big cliche with a predictable ending (unless you haven't read a good book in the past 20 years). It's a shame that people are setting something like this as "par" for a game now a days. The game is repetitive and boring...the only thing keeping you hooked is the anticipation of the climax of what potentially could have been an amazing story. In the end, you're left with a $60 paperweight (not much replay value in this game folks), a fight-club/12 monkey- esque ending, and characters that you barely care about. I know this review isn't enough to convince a zombie army of new generation gamers, but hopefully it will help people that have taste, and realize that rehashed, gimmick garbage like this wouldn't have cut it 10-15 years ago. See CollegeShinobi's review, he sums it up QUITE well. Expand
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    Ièm a little late in reviewing this game although I did happen to buy it on launch. The game is different than the other Bio Shock games, and in a way change can be good, but in this sense it wasn't. The other Bio Shock games had a spooky atmosphere and was kind of eerie. This game is all sunshine and lollipops, with very little replayability.Graphics are good,controls are good,sound wasIèm a little late in reviewing this game although I did happen to buy it on launch. The game is different than the other Bio Shock games, and in a way change can be good, but in this sense it wasn't. The other Bio Shock games had a spooky atmosphere and was kind of eerie. This game is all sunshine and lollipops, with very little replayability.Graphics are good,controls are good,sound was good,story is ridiculous IMO. Its a decent game but not nearly as good as I thought it would be.In a way its cool because the game comes with the original bioshock, but if you already had the game then it makes no difference. There are better games out there, but give it a try, it is worth a try atleast. Expand
  27. May 11, 2013
    I enjoyed the game at first just wandering around looking at the vendors, and then it was nonstop shooting from there on in that's why I only give this game a six.
  28. Jan 31, 2014
    It is no doubt this game does very well on gameplay with much more weapons, abilities and enemies than the first Bioshock. This does not only mean improvement in quantity but also in quality because All these more are well functioned so you can enjoy killing in various ways for more fun.

The trade off is the style changes a lot from the first Bioshock, which makes me a bit disappointed . This one is much more inclined to action adventure (yet still very firm-noir), while the first one is more psycho-horror.

Another thing the game does very well is that the artistic and layered environment is always changed in different chapters, thus sustaining you excitement and curiosity, while the story is very weak, which I almost didn't care about.

The most disappointing thing is that the introduction of psycho power of the heroine to bridge different worlds (Do you remember in the trailer where the heroine relives a horse and transfers an incoming train?) was the most anticipating aspect for me, but ends up with just some cheesy weapon transfer ability in the real game execution. It seems the dev has a good idea at first, and then just cannot figure out how to well integrate it into gameplay. Plus, even in the cutscene, the psycho power is never showed again if I still remember it.
  29. Apr 16, 2013
    Story, story, oh the story. Before starting Bioshock: Infinite i had played the first Bioshock only the start bits so coming back to Bioshock was a "gamble" for me. What got me to buy Infinite was its interesting and truly impressive presentation, graphics and the world of a flying city, called Columbia, is really well presented and first moments of the game you just spent taking in theStory, story, oh the story. Before starting Bioshock: Infinite i had played the first Bioshock only the start bits so coming back to Bioshock was a "gamble" for me. What got me to buy Infinite was its interesting and truly impressive presentation, graphics and the world of a flying city, called Columbia, is really well presented and first moments of the game you just spent taking in the scenery and the beauty. These moments are truly the best of the game, along with the depth of the world and story opening slowly for the player is really enjoyable and holds on to you until the end. It made me wonder and other genres could use these world and graphics, like adventure/puzzle games. Throughout the game the gameplay is very linear, making you follow a certain path almost like in a tunnel from start to finish, although at the start its enjoyable, again cause of the scenery and beauty of the world. As the FPS mechanics come in use i remembered why i slowly gave up playing the first Bioshock, as it felt more and more like a just another FPS shooter. In Bioshock Infinite this doesnt really change, FPS action controls the game, making you go in a tunnel and hurries you through the beautiful city of Columbia. At first you are alone with your weapons, you can carry only two at a time, as the game one by one introduces you to powers called "Vigors" which are supposted to help you through battle after battle, although some vigors are left without any good use with many players. The Bioshock FPS system probably works better with PC or players that are just used to FPS games but the aiming reacts really slowly controller analog stick, using powers requires thinking as different powers help to defeat certain enemies but cause of frustation to the uneasy and stressful enemies player might end up spamming just one power through the game from behind a corner or wall which you keep huggin through FPS scenes. And all of interraction happens with one controller button along with looting and reloading increasing frustation in there is need to reload mids of battle, close to a lootable body or interactable object, making it impossible to reload. Game does reload a weapon automatically when you run out of bullets in the clip though. As game progresses player receives a sidekick called Elizabeth, who is a key character for the story, as she helps you during FPS scenes, collecting ammunition, health and salt, which power the Vigors, for you at tight situations. Speaking of Elizabeth as a Character she is probably the most interesting and enjoyable one in the game with emotional scenes really keeping you playing to the end just to see what happens with her and the world around. Towards the end FPS scenes become repetitive and feel forced and the player might only be interested in the story after the halfway point of the game. Also some rushing with game development can be seen with basic glitches happening, mostly graphical, example walking on air or getting stuck on walls or furniture. The experience of the excellent, interesting story, great characters and the beautiful world of Columbia saves Bioshock Infinite alot and comes out with a recommendation and if a player is used to FPS games im sure the Bioshock FPS style doesnt disappoint, although the game isnt without flaws in gameplay. Expand
  30. Jul 9, 2013
    I'm not going to deny that this is a good game and a good experience, because it is both of those things. Bioshock Infinite has an astonishing story, and Ken Levine and the rest of Irrational Games should be credited for that. But the overwhelming acclaim for this game, hailing it as the best game of the year, is misguided. It's just an average first person shooter,with an extremelyI'm not going to deny that this is a good game and a good experience, because it is both of those things. Bioshock Infinite has an astonishing story, and Ken Levine and the rest of Irrational Games should be credited for that. But the overwhelming acclaim for this game, hailing it as the best game of the year, is misguided. It's just an average first person shooter,with an extremely above-average plot and collection of characters. There are a number of issues with this game. The mechanics are that of a rather average and somewhat chunky first person shooter, the shooting is mediocre at best, and it is overlong. IF you are in the mood for a great story with the game's mechanics not pulling it off in a very good way, then this is the game for you. Expand
  31. Jul 7, 2013
    I'm sorry this game just don't impress me very much. The graphics are exceptional and the sound is great but the story feels incomplete, the battles are generic, and its very easy to lose interest in everything after a few hours. your limited on guns, most of the vigors are worthless (imo) and it is all very linear. I give it a 7 because of graphics, controls, and sound. but my score isI'm sorry this game just don't impress me very much. The graphics are exceptional and the sound is great but the story feels incomplete, the battles are generic, and its very easy to lose interest in everything after a few hours. your limited on guns, most of the vigors are worthless (imo) and it is all very linear. I give it a 7 because of graphics, controls, and sound. but my score is not based on fun or fulfillment. This game is grossly overrated. Expand
  32. May 25, 2013
    I would have preferred a "tell me a story" mode for this game, as I'm not very good at aiming with a controller, especially while being flung around on a rail in various directions.

The story was great. The gameplay, eh...not so much. I don't really dig having to mow through fields of mobs and burn down Patriots for 5 minutes each. I think the 10s this game has been given are a bit affected by the popularity of the game itself.
  33. Apr 2, 2014
    What an over-rated game this is, every body talks about the graphics of how wonderful they are, REALLY? I just don't appreciate a game that says that their characters are very human like, ARE YOU KIDDING ME? everything is like a bad drawing and the map limits on the player are simply ridiculous. It is a very GOOD and Complex Story that's why I don't give it a 0.
  34. Aug 22, 2014
    Man, this game was pretty disappointing. The overall gunplay was better than the original, but pretty much everything else that made the first one interesting was gone, like hacking and stuff, for instance. It has the familiar Bioshock vibe, but the creepiness is gone. The atmosphere gets old awfully quick and the main character talking is a massive drawback, not to mention toting aroundMan, this game was pretty disappointing. The overall gunplay was better than the original, but pretty much everything else that made the first one interesting was gone, like hacking and stuff, for instance. It has the familiar Bioshock vibe, but the creepiness is gone. The atmosphere gets old awfully quick and the main character talking is a massive drawback, not to mention toting around a girl (like every other game released in 2013) that I never really cared about. The story was okay, but it lacked the punch that the original had. Of the 3 Bioshocks, this is easily the weakest. An average game at best. Expand
  35. May 1, 2013
    Honestly, this game was a HUGE disappointment to me. After seeing the fan-tas-tic E3 demo 2011, the cinematic and action packed story trailers, I expected this game to be a 9. Not! The whole E3 demo was cancelled, and sadly no gameplay sequence is as large scaled and detailed as the one seen on the E3 demo. Basically, the game is all footage seen after the 2012 media silence, but split-upHonestly, this game was a HUGE disappointment to me. After seeing the fan-tas-tic E3 demo 2011, the cinematic and action packed story trailers, I expected this game to be a 9. Not! The whole E3 demo was cancelled, and sadly no gameplay sequence is as large scaled and detailed as the one seen on the E3 demo. Basically, the game is all footage seen after the 2012 media silence, but split-up by long, boring and repetitive shoot-outs. The only aspect that lived up to my expectations -hell, even blew them away- was the story, not even the storytelling -that wasn't that great-, but the story itself was pretty fantastic.
    Don't fool yaself people, this wasn't a great game!
  36. Apr 9, 2013
    So, I really did like the game, the story, I loved Elizabeth as a partner in the game and I had fun, but it is a love/hate relationship.

Unfortunately, I was unlucky in the fact that this game was the very first for me to have issues. Bioshock would hard freeze every 5-10 min without fail every freakin time and 2k support is absolutely horrible in helping me resolve this, which I think

Bioshock would hard freeze every 5-10 min without fail every freakin time and 2k support is absolutely horrible in helping me resolve this, which I think they just gave up. I haven't heard back from them in days.

But I am always up for a challenge, so I fought through from auto-save to auto-save waiting for the next hard freeze then reset my PS3, and start up again. The sense of accomplishment I felt after completion was almost the same I had for Dark Souls and only because I was fighting the toughest opponent of the game, the buggy software itself. The only reason I was able to do this was because the game was somewhat short, very basic and fairly easy, even on hard mode.

Which leads me to my next point...

This title was pretty basic for a Bioshock game, as it seemed to me a completely stripped down experience from the first entry. Upgrades for vigors and weapons are very linear and boring and you just need a vending machine and some money to upgrade, but the upgrades aren't really worth anything.
    I only upgraded and used about 2-3 weapons and two vigors the whole game. Gear is completely useless and i just stuck with the first four pieces I snagged and was done with it.

There is nothing to loot off enemies but health, salts, and money which is very repetitive and boring after a few levels. You have no more scavenging for all kinds of random parts to build items. Combat is the same as previous entries with the exception of being able to use your weapon and vigor simultaenously instead of cycling back and forth, which is a good addition though.

I also noticed that I may have spent 2-3 minutes total on the sky rail and I thought that was going to be such a huge part of the game. I also thought you would be accessing all the various parts of Columbia through the sky rail, but not even close.

No memorable foes in the game was a real shocker for me. I thought that was their niche, well, they blew that. I couldn't believe you didn't at least have a boss fight with Comstock or Songbird. Songbird could have been the Daddy of Infinite, in my opinion. Way too many generic AI's all over and around this game for just filler.

Gameplay and combat is SO basic for a big budget AAA game, but obviously they spent their time with other facets of the game and did very well pulling that off. The environments, Elizabeth, and the story with all its complexities, all rocked.

I should rate this game a zero for not even running properly on a mass produced machine, but since I was able to fight through with little difficulty, outside of the PS3 resets, I was able to appreciate a lot of the great environments, Elizabeth, and story in the game.
  37. May 20, 2013
    The first 2 hours or so was amazing but it turned into a grind after that. Columbia is an amazing backdrop and I commend the devs for the effort they have obviously put in. As a shooter, it doesn't really add anything to the genre. Being able to carry only two guns at a time was very annoying. The enemy seems to know where you are at all times, even if you attempt to use the limitedThe first 2 hours or so was amazing but it turned into a grind after that. Columbia is an amazing backdrop and I commend the devs for the effort they have obviously put in. As a shooter, it doesn't really add anything to the genre. Being able to carry only two guns at a time was very annoying. The enemy seems to know where you are at all times, even if you attempt to use the limited cover available. I enjoyed the story and the ending was enjoyable. Unless you are a big fan of the series, I would recommend waiting for the price to drop a bit before playing through this one. Expand
  38. Apr 12, 2013
    This was a ok game. Not really a fps shooter fan because of the point and shoot(repitiveness); but graphics are beautiful and gameplay was decent and enjoyable.
  39. Apr 17, 2013
    I am in the process of finishing this game. I am 3/4 of the way done according to the number of chapters. I will say that it is a fantastic and great looking game, but it is not "BioShock". The first BioShock was terrifying and fresh. For example, After upgrading a weapon you would see the attachment highlighted to show what improvements were made. Infinite has "armories" around everyI am in the process of finishing this game. I am 3/4 of the way done according to the number of chapters. I will say that it is a fantastic and great looking game, but it is not "BioShock". The first BioShock was terrifying and fresh. For example, After upgrading a weapon you would see the attachment highlighted to show what improvements were made. Infinite has "armories" around every corner and feels like a cheap vending machine rather than a rare opportunity. Infinite also lacks that spook factor. You fight primarily human enemies aside from the rare crowmen and firemen. I am also disappointed to report that i have only seen the songbird twice, what is that? Where are the siren kids? I am 3/4 of the way through and have only fought 3 handymen. Oh and not let me forget, I am playing this on HARD! I bought it on Saturday and keep whizzing through. All in all it is your average shooter, definitely not a Bioshock game and is only worth the buy because it came with the original. Expand
  40. Apr 25, 2013
    All I can say is that this game is great, and fun for people to enjoy, but I feel that this game is not as good as what many people and critics say, and is indeed not perfect.
  41. Jun 24, 2014
    After getting the platinum, the flaws of the games became increasingly noticeable. The game, while presenting an interesting (yet somewhat predictable) story, has major plot holes. The intertwining of time travel and different dimensions does not bode well for it. The gameplay, while fun, becomes quite repetitive and frustrating (on harder modes). Only a few guns are actually need to makeAfter getting the platinum, the flaws of the games became increasingly noticeable. The game, while presenting an interesting (yet somewhat predictable) story, has major plot holes. The intertwining of time travel and different dimensions does not bode well for it. The gameplay, while fun, becomes quite repetitive and frustrating (on harder modes). Only a few guns are actually need to make substantial advances in the game. Overall BSI leaves the gamer sad (and maybe a bit confused and angry) yet glad the story takes a risk in the end. Expand
  42. May 15, 2013
    Beautiful Imagery, with a clever plot combines for a wonderful and exiting return to the mind of Ken Levine and the Bioshock universe. Yet throughout my ventures into "Columbia", i felt something was missing. The highly boasted companion A.I became a repetitive blend of an ammo source and questionably perfecting the art of dodging straying bullets. I also felt the lack of a real threatBeautiful Imagery, with a clever plot combines for a wonderful and exiting return to the mind of Ken Levine and the Bioshock universe. Yet throughout my ventures into "Columbia", i felt something was missing. The highly boasted companion A.I became a repetitive blend of an ammo source and questionably perfecting the art of dodging straying bullets. I also felt the lack of a real threat enemy became highly apparent in the closing final act, with the presence of "1999 Mode" boasting a "Real Challenge" it felt more like a tweaked hard mode.

The voice and audio work, really carried this game with some impressionable moments. As a gamer i would highly recommend it, yet i believe the original heavily over shadows it and alot of gamers carry their love for the original over to this and are blinded by some of its flaws. "Columbia" itself became just a mere ground for combat as soon as the first shots echoed from Bookers pistol. The people within disappeared into the shadows and later become these strange, narrative breakers or a mere limbo between combat. The audio logs which made "Rapture" so vivid, became another plot device.

To finish this review "Bioshock: Infinite" is a great game with some brilliant moments and a finish which will boggle the mind, yet has it flaws which have been overlooked by so many.

Premium Edition Content Review 9/10- £54.99
    I have always been a fan of alternate editions yet i feel this trend have more slipped into additional content rather anything of substances, however this package was an ideal blend, with a beautiful art book, ideal for the bigger fans of the series.
  43. Jun 9, 2013
    A good game, but not a great game.
    A good game, but not a great game.
    Bioshock Infinate is visually incredible, apparent from the opening mission right throughout the entire game. But when you strip away those visuals, well its really just another shooter. And in my opinion just a decent shooter at that. The rail system running throughout Colombia however makes a what would otherwise a dull shooter, a much much better one. And I did have fun using it for a while.
    I was disappointed to find that a lot of the stuff we were shown in the year running up to the games release, never actually made it into the game. Having played and loved Bioshock I was also a little disappointed with the games setting Colombia. While it looked incredible it just felt too empty and desolate. Time between gunfights was mostly spent rooting in bins for ammo with little in the way of exploration and unlike Bioshocks underwater Rapture it never felt 'real'.
    Am not going to spoil the story for anyone. My opinion is that it was good. But nothing like some would have you believe.
  44. Jun 23, 2013
    Certainly a good game, but lacking rather a lot in comparisson to the first Bioshock. The world, though beautiful and original, doesn't feel cohesive. The game also suffers greatly from overambition in terms of themes. It seeks to explore far too much, and ends up not giving any of the ideas it wants to explore any of the depth they deserve. This is particularly true of racism, nationalismCertainly a good game, but lacking rather a lot in comparisson to the first Bioshock. The world, though beautiful and original, doesn't feel cohesive. The game also suffers greatly from overambition in terms of themes. It seeks to explore far too much, and ends up not giving any of the ideas it wants to explore any of the depth they deserve. This is particularly true of racism, nationalism and zealotism which simply serve as backdrop to a larger sci-fi adventure. The main characters of Brooker and Elizabeth are good as far as game characters go, though nothing particularly special in terms of depth. Gameplay is fun and liberating, but doesn't fit within the world particularly, and can become a chore at times as you fight wave after wave of enemies. Expand
  45. May 29, 2014
    I think the story is really interesting. It was the only reason for me to play this game. Bud it is probably because this kind of games is not my cup of tea.
  46. Jun 17, 2014
    I didn't dislike the game, I enjoyed the atmosphere, Elizabeth, and the vigors, but I don't like it as much as everyone else seems to. I don't know why. The game just didn't click with me that much. The story really started to loose me at the end. That being said, it is still fun and you may enjoy more then I did.
  47. Jan 18, 2014
    Very disappointed. Vigors were boring, weapons the same. I liked having a sniper, but otherwise boring combat. Apparently, I was the only one that saw the "surprise" twist at the end, but doing so made it that much worse. I mean Comstock alludes to Booker's secret, and Booker's reaction enforces it. I still can't fathom why people like this game. I beat it, and I feel sad that I wastedVery disappointed. Vigors were boring, weapons the same. I liked having a sniper, but otherwise boring combat. Apparently, I was the only one that saw the "surprise" twist at the end, but doing so made it that much worse. I mean Comstock alludes to Booker's secret, and Booker's reaction enforces it. I still can't fathom why people like this game. I beat it, and I feel sad that I wasted time doing so. Of course, some people didn't like bioshock 1, and I loved that game, so I suppose everyone's different. Expand
  48. Mar 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gameplay got repetitive before the end + linear story + non-intuitive AI = no replay value. unique graphics and story make worth a play through, but no real reason to play it again. And as lauded as the immersion factor was, so often Elizabeth was supposed to be having some deep emotional moment, then mid dialogue is like "look booker 10 cents!" This was a good game, worth experiencing once, but no way does it belong in the discussions of best of all time.Not sure how people are justifying 9s-10s, bet its the same people giving those scores to Infamous. Maybe I'm drinking the wrong koolaid after playing truly great series like mass effect, metal gear, half life, fallout, elder scrolls, zelda, and gta/red dead, I found this game to be insanely overrated. Id go back and play any game from those series before thinking about playing through this again. Expand
  49. Apr 28, 2014
    The most overated game in years. The story is interesting but, the characters were flat. The gameplay worked fine and there were no bugs but, it felt restricted, linear and dull. The graphics were good when it came to things being seen far away but, up close nothing is that impressive. It's an okay game but, one of the best games of all time, you HAVE to be kidding.
  50. Apr 1, 2013
    I have played tons of games, probably more than 99% of the people my age and I can say without a doubt in mind that this is one of the most beautifully crafted stories I've ever played. Elizabeth is probably the strongest performance I've seen in at least 10 years for a female character and Booker is probably just as good. The ending comes out of nowhere and I can promise you, you will notI have played tons of games, probably more than 99% of the people my age and I can say without a doubt in mind that this is one of the most beautifully crafted stories I've ever played. Elizabeth is probably the strongest performance I've seen in at least 10 years for a female character and Booker is probably just as good. The ending comes out of nowhere and I can promise you, you will not see the twist coming.

Shooting mechanics are improved from the previous games and are right up there with other first person shooters but some of the other game play variables are just a little off. For example, I feel the skyhook was misused and I feel a couple of the special abilities were useless or repetitive. Elizabeth's ability to bring tears into combat felt underwhelming and I don't think they capitalized fully with this opportunity

These couple qualms though are easily overlook because the story, characters and environment are simply amazing. I can't believe how close I felt to Booker and Elizabeth and I can't believe how shocked I was when I saw the ending. This is a MUST PLAY.

1. May 27, 2013
    In an infinite universe, anything can happen, but in Infinite's, the specifics are what get you.
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    One of those rare games that speaks to the player on a personal, emotional level with a thought-provoking, mature storyline set in one of the most amazing worlds conceived in a game. Plus, it's a wonderful FPS with deep, tactical combat. Essential. [Issue#230, p.66]
  3. Multiple dimensions and a clever scenario with a surprise around every corner make it difficult for us to explain our enthusiasm without spoiling the story. Only the extended ghost chase (literally) halfway through the game drags on a bit too long. [April 2013, p.74]