8.4

1. Mar 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Gameplay 10/10 It plays great, people who are worried about the partner AI being annoying worry yourselves not Elizabeth is no (insert resident evil AI partner/escort here) she actually helps you (throws you ammo, money, health-packs, salts.) and will "teleport" close to you (but behind you or off to the side so it doesn't break immersion) if you get too far ahead of her. The "vigors" (plasmids) and guns feel great although I found I was using the pistols mostly (possibly just my preference I find I like pistols in most games for some reason)

Graphics 9/10 mostly amazing, there's alot of bloom at times and I had to turn down my brightness just to be able to see enemies that were in the same direction as the sun. (I wont give you alot of details here because frankly I don't know about graphics, if it looks nice it looks nice right?) Audio 8/10 the sound effects are amazing, the guns (especially the pistol) make big boom! The music is eerie when it needs to be and really adds to the atmosphere. only complaints I have are that the combat is really loud at times, which is both good and bad and is easily remedied by turning down the SFX volume (or just doing what I did and turning down my speakers when it gets loud so's not to piss off the neighbors :P) and sometimes the dialogue is too quiet. Story 4/10 "Bioshock: Fringe Division! Don't get me wrong the atmosphere is great and the story is great for the most part but in the end it left me not able make balls or brains out of what the flying actually happened, it's like a bastardized version of Fringe, except fringe made sense, this doesn't, I get the feeling they were trying to be too philosophical with the ending except the writers are definitely not philosophers. World-building 10/10 Bioshock Infinite creates an amazing world taking hint from post revolutionary war and civil war themes and issues. Characters 7/10 The game's characters for the most part are amazing you'll fall in love with Elizabeth and want to rip Comstock's dick out of his eye-sockets, however near the beginning of the game Elizabeth does a few things that didn't sit right with me, for example the first time you kill a room full of bad guys she runs away, but as soon as you catch up with her again she's all happy to be friends again, with only a couple of lines of dialogue explanation on why you had to go postal on all those human beings.
  2. Mar 29, 2013
    Completely amazing game. The story is great and Elizabeth is the most relatable video game character I've ever come across. She's not just another NPC that you drag around, she's a person who you get to know. She helps you out in battle, she talks to you, she relates with you. Elizabeth makes this game.

The only (minor) qualm I have with this game is the saving system. You can only load
    your most recent checkpoint, and there's no clear indication of when that was. You can't quicksave or quickload, and you can't save previous saves. This prevents you from going back to re-do an area differently or to make a different decision without outright playing the game again.

All in all, an amazing experience.
  3. Mar 29, 2013
    This is a very interesting game. Essentially, the game play is really nothing new. Its a straightforward shooter. You can only have two guns at any one time, and the powers that you get are not overly imaginative. If it weren't for the story, the game would just be a solid shooter. It is the story that really sets this game apart however. The ending sent me reeling, and I was hooked throughout the entire ride. The game makes you invested in finding and listening to the collectibles, to extract as much as you can from the story. I won't spoil anything, but it really gets you thinking. Its quite a ride.

I don't think that the game is perfect like others have suggested, they definitely could have made the game play more innovative, but its good at what it does.

Make no mistake, the game is good based on its own game play merits, but the narrative takes the game to a whole new level. Something very unique in Bioshock Infinite.
  4. Mar 30, 2013
    I just was not that all impressed, to me it seemed like all the highlights of the game shown in trailers were really the only highlights of the game. It was fun but is not a game I could play over because the extra things to do in the game were very monotonous. I know some people love it but it just didn't do it for me, however Crysis 3 did
  5. Oct 7, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite does not break the same ground that System Shock and Bioshock 1 did, but does streamline and refine most the gameplay mechanics. Shooting and Powers are much better this time around falling more in line with modern shooters. The negative is lack of diverse enemy types and poor AI. The setting, story, and wonderfully voiced characters are a much bigger part of the experience and by the end you'll genuinely feel for the characters. Without spoiling anything, the ending is one of the better ones in gaming in recent memory. This game is worth your time! Very excited about the next Ken Levine game. Expand
  6. Mar 30, 2013
    It begins much like the previous BioShock games, just you against the world trying to achieve a single goal, but during the rescue of Elizabeth a relationship is formed with her character that makes the ending such a surprising, poignant and emotional moment. My only negative, and quite a large one at that, would be that it was too quick to finish, even though I chose Hard mode from the beginning. 18 hours according to Steam, although that was over the Easter weekend so I had plenty of game time available. Yes, I could now play it in 1999 mode for it to be more difficult but, unlike the previous BioShock, this is a fixed story line and I have no wish to revisit Columbia and my relationship with Elizabeth, knowing how it will end. Expand
  7. Mar 31, 2013
    Is it a game? Is it an art? Bioshock Infinite is right in the centre. One of the most charming visions of utopia. Realistic graphics and very good locations will make you want to stop killing and start exploring every corner- what is rewarded in goods like perks, cash and... side quests. Also AI is doing fine. Elizabeth uses surrounding her items like books, tables, benches to perform an adequate action. She stops to read a book/journal or to sit on a bench. Game mechanism is nothing new. It is the same we remember from previous Bioshocks, but it is not a problem at all- game is very entertaining. Sound effects could be better, but are not bad. Graphics 10/10
    Sound 7/10
    Entertainment 9/10
    Ambiance 10/10
    Storyline 8/10

Overall: 8,8/10
  8. Mar 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disappointed is the word I would use to describe my feeling about this game. While the game is visual beautiful, it lacks from the previous games in the franchise. To bad they did not get this game right. Not only is it the shortest of the three, it has a annoying story to follow. I found the purpose of traps with every vigor somewhat useless as majority of the environments are large in comparison to the first 2 bioshock. The story and ending was confusing at times, and I to finished the game feeling ripped off. Glad I payed for a short game with a little enjoyment in the game play. The time line seems to be short so the bond between Elizabeth and Booker is forgettable. I hate that you can carry only two guns. I looked forward to another one in the series, but this game wasn't as good, and like I said I was left feeling disappointed. Expand
  9. Apr 1, 2013
    Wow! This is a fantastic game that improves the gameplay aspect of the first (controls especially). Colombia is every bit as interesting as Rapture and begs to explored. More open spaces and vertical gameplay allow new approaches to combat unique for Bioshock. The story and graphics are equal to the first game, so it's a matter of individual preference. The really stand-out is your AI buddy Elizabeth. You'll want to help Liz escape and she doesn't whine to the point of annoying or interfere with your play.

The bad which keeps this game from a perfect 10 is AI of average foot soldiers. Sometime, you'll be able to escape rushing enemies by moving into a new room. They will not chase you past certain points and just turn around and walk back. Their lack of smarts is compensated by numbers, so think zombies.

The PS3 version comes with Bioshock 1 (12GB) so its two great games for the price of one, but I would recommend playing on a high-end PC. I can't comment on the Move aspect. It is not quite the RPG experience like Borderlands or Mass Effect 3. Trust me though, you'll enjoy this game!
  10. Apr 1, 2013
    It has the same problems that have hindered past installments of the Bioshock franchise, at some point you're just too powerful. The addition of Elizabeth constantly bailing you out of jams makes planning and restraint irrelevant. You can tear through the enemy set pieces knowing there's no way they can really stop you and if they do you can squash them on a second wind type go round. That having been said the ending is just amazing. This will be the high water mark of gaming story-telling for years to come. Ken Levine and the writers at Irrational Games should be applauded (they will) for another stellar script. If the last few levels didn't have the feeling of a tedious grind this would be a perfect game. Buy it, borrow it, do what you have to do but PLAY THIS GAME there is nothing like it, and there won't be anything like it for a long time. Expand
  11. Apr 21, 2013
    One of the best games of this generation, and a true sequel to the original BioShock. An original story with amazing quality on nearly every area.....
  12. Apr 2, 2013
    OK enough of the 10 out of 10 scores as they are not very relevant.
    I will not go into my personal issues with this game as I will be here all day so just PROS and CONS -

PROS:
    The game does look very nice, in fact too candy looking nice, like stepping into a 3D world made by WILLY WONKA which would be lovely for a game based on this type of adventure, but this is a shooter and a not
    very realistic one more of a dreamy sweet one!

The vocal talent and sound effects are very good.
    The 3D models are also very well done.
    The textures can be a mixed bag though and spoil some great moments.
    The story starts well but gets confused with itself in the end.
    The Elizabeth character works well but agin to sugary for my taste.

CONS:
    The hype of this game was never going to be realised and it will be in bargain bins within 6 months.
    The shooting is bad, the aiming is rubbish and clunky and the weaponry is not very inventive at all coming from original BIOSHOCK creators.
    This is a treacle covered BIOSHOCK 1 where the creators have reused mechanics under a different setting.
    This is NOT a step forward or a better game than BIOSHOCK 1.
    The main character is not very indearing and movable, try this very early on your on a floating barge try jumping up onto some crates and then jump to teh skyrail above.......You cannot do it! but after a few minutes you can leap what seems to be 20 feet into the air to a skyhook without any problem!
    The mechanics just are not consistant to the world and the map you are in.
    Also what is with all the loading...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz do you wish to leave this area????? consoles got over this years ago with streaming data for new levels etc.
    If you wish to see a really good game in action, plays very well and enjoy the atmosphere then spend your money on TOMB RAIDER or if you must play this type of game hunt out teh original which is far far better.

SUMMARY:
    Like the remake of Charlie and the chocolate factory, this is sugar coated but lacks the brilliance of the original it was based on.
  13. May 2, 2013
    Bioshock:Infinite is an awesome game with Eye popping graphics awesome gameplay and as well as a absolutely excellent story, they also have a helpful A.I companion for once unlike some other games i've played Like Resident Evil 5 where companion is a pain in the ass, Bioshock is one of the best games of 2013 by far i can't wait until Bioshock 4
  14. Apr 4, 2013
    Okay, so, a little setting. Bioshock holds a special place in my heart as my favorite game of all time. I've put ridiculously large amounts of my life into exploring every facet that game has to offer. Moving on. Infinite is a fantastic game and every gamer should pick this up... Unless you're a Bioshock fan.
    World/ Backstory: I'm not sure I could quite put my finger on it, but
    Infinite manages to capture the spark of the original in terms of its backstory. Every audio diary is full of interesting character and powerful voice acting that makes you believe these are real people. I think this really speaks to Ken Levine being present during the recording sessions. He was able to push them to their best. The world, while very very surreal, has flaws that reflect reality during the 20's. Racism is a glaring issue in Columbia that seems to be at a fever pitch. While I loved feeling everything that Columbia was going through, there were very few times when the atmosphere left me scarred or tense. Generally, the color palette made me feel at ease with it's bright, sunshine colorfulness. Another aspect to point out is the shocking amount of NPCs. They're everywhere. Gossiping, playing arcade games, swimming, riding the skyline, shooting you, everything you would expect city goers to be doing in a game The isolation of Bioshock is most definitely gone in Infinite. You can decide for yourself if that's good or bad. For me, it kind of brought a frown to my face.
    Level Design: You will be able to tell almost instantly that this is the work of Irrational. Level design gives many nods to Bioshock, especially anytime you step inside a building. Propaganda placed in extravagant, impossible to miss locations, a sense of grudge and dirtiness is everywhere, and layers upon layers of juicy fog. Many doors open automatically similar to Bioshock. There does seem to be less emphasis on exploration. There are little side quests, but they're usually nothing deeper than: go get this thing in order to get that object. This is something that really bothers me. Bioshock had much more backtracking and complex level design for you to sink your mind into, and it all feels very streamlined in Infinite. You aren't even given a designated map.
    Sound Design: Speaking as an audio engineer, the sound design is bone chillingly incredible. Your first steps on Columbia soil will set a tone for a game like I've never heard or seen before. Walking through the halls of a temple dedicated to Comstock you hear voices singing. I'm not sure what plug-in/ recording techniques they used, but the reverberation is so rich, I didn't want to leave the area, I just wanted to sit there and listen.
    Characters: I'll just focus on Elizabeth here. If I had to define her in one phrase, I'd say she is a disney princess. Wide eyed, full of curiosity. Her AI scripting is really something to experience. Unlike most other escort games, Elizabeth will interact with the world. She'll walk over to a table, and examine the bottles of whisky topled onto an unfinished plate of food. She'll get cotton candy from a vendor at the arcade. It'll floor you.
    Story: It's here that most of my complaints begin. You have your artists and engineers slave over these incredible environments, so unique and awe inspiring. But before you get a chance to really soak it all in, the game is dragging you to another area of the city. In Bioshock, I never felt rushed. In Infinite, I feel rushed maybe 80% of the time. The story is an absolute roller coaster. It's fantastic, and will grab you instantly, but it makes world exploration frustrating because you never have much time to breathe. This is fun and appeals to a larger audience, but if you are like me, you like to stay in one area and really get to know it until it becomes your own. Gone in Infinite. Bioshock was really a collection of stories. You would go from one area to another hearing the tales of mad men, Steinman to Cohen. This made for very steady pacing. A pacing for gamers, not movie enthusiast (you don't play a game for the same reason you watch a movie).
    Game Mechanics: And it's here that I cry out in agony. Plasmids have been dumbed down. 4 of the 8 vigors do very similar things. Hacking is, in essence, gone. All of this is not necessarily a bad thing, just to me. Hacking turrets was an incredibly gratifying experience. Honestly, the mechanics have become extremely tight. You no longer worry about health packs or keeping an inventory of salts. Guns no longer have multiple ammo types. My first thought was: this system be great for multiplayer. It made me wonder if some of the multiplayer mentality stuck around after it was cut. Making great mechanics for a multiplayer experience, and mechanics for a single player experience are two very different things.
    Don't get me wrong, this game is a work of art, but if you are a Bioshock fan, prepare to be a little disappointed.
  15. Apr 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Bioshock infinite is simply outstanding from the jaw dropping beginning to the jaw dropping end. I personally didn't think the irrational team to make a game that was anywhere near as good as the original.
    Wow was I in for a treat. I just loved the way it drew you in from the beginning and set up the world. Bioshock was a walk through hell in it's opening moments where Columbia is a walk through heaven.
    That is until you make your way to the raffle and see the prize on offer. That moment is genuinely shocking and it's all credit to the irrational team that they never sugarcoated this moment as this is what sets up the game and it's when the action starts in earnest.
  16. Apr 6, 2013
    just a flawless game amazing story excellent graphics and amazing gameplay i dont have anything else to say its that amazing :D when i first saw the trailer my mind was blown due to awesomeness this might be the 2013 GOTY unless if The Last Of Us impresses me or if Yakuza 5 come out worldwide this year
  17. Apr 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, this game has an incredibly high Critic rating and those are given to it not only for it's graphics, engine, artificial intelligence, interesting weaponry and powers, cleverly created atmosphere and setting.
    This game is one of the first multi-million dollar productions, which is created against racism with a very powerful story. With regards to being a first-person shooter, it is not the best. It doesn't add too much to the genre and the graphics have better rivals like ES V Skyrim, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, etc. However, the story flows like a river, the gore and violence is balanced, the achievements are making the player go for more, while there are not tons of things to explore, it is still a very big setting and as all Bioshock games, it is unique and eerily enchanting. I can not say that Bioshock Infinite can technically be the GOTY, but it definitely is a bold and attractive way of giving a game some "character" and making the player "feel it". I think it has to be in your collection.
  18. Apr 7, 2013
    At first Bioshock Infinite seems like Bioshock with a new coat of paint, and for the most part that is correct, the game plays very similar with similar ideas and weapons and characters, this time your plasmids are called vigors,there is a city and there is a man that leads it with radical ideas. The real excitement comes at the end when everything gets explained the rapture/columbia connection, the elizabeth/booker connection, and the connection between booker/comstock/elizabeth. If it seems like the game is dragging on and you just want to give up keep hanging in there and finish it, it is totally worth it. Expand
  19. Apr 8, 2013
    There are no spoilers in this review. If you enjoy games with fun gameplay along with a great soundtrack, great graphics, and an outstanding story, then this is a must play. I just completed the game and I'm going to start playing it again in a higher difficulty. I would suggest to those experienced FPS gamers to play this in the hard difficulty setting. I would also recommend to people who haven't played the first bioshock to play it before playing infinite. I would imagine that experienced gamers would complete this in 8 hours; however, to fully enjoy this game I would recommend exploring the city as much as possible (it took me about 20 hours to complete this game). In my opinion this game has a great replay value because of two main reasons: the gameplay and the story. There are several different ways of eliminating enemies and also, a second playthrough would help you understand/appreciate the story.

I consider this game to be one of my top favorite games of all time (right next to the Metal Gear Solid series).
  20. Apr 8, 2013
    Yes i will agree with anyone who will say this is a very good game, cause frankly it is, but there are some down sides, i feel for a game that took so long to make it should be allot longer than 8 hours, yes it may be 8 hours of great game play but it is too short for the price tag of £40 considering no multi-player has been added.I also thing the powers in this game are very pointless and do not make any sense in the games settings, also why do only your character use them considering they are heavily advertised around new Columbia. But on the good side it does have good game play and possibly the best ending in a game I have ever seen, Elizabeth is also a very good character and the fact that the story is centred around her works very well. Due to al of this i believe it deserves an 8, I also believe it only got a 10 from alot of people was due to it being a Bioshock game. Expand
  21. Apr 8, 2013
    This game was quite enjoyable. Graphics, music*, gameplay, etc.; all were amazing. My only issues with the game: no user-save feature, only auto-save. I'm not a big believer in having to get to a spot to save, especially as an adult-gamer with life going on. And the "book marks" save about 1,000 different times throughout the game. A little bit too much data action. And music-wise, some areas could use a bit more diverse music, not a big gripe. I'd like to give this game a 9.9 overall. Definitely worth anyone's time and money. Expand
  22. Apr 10, 2013
    Universal acclaim? 95/100? 9/10? As if. This game is mediocre at best, sorry guys. The only redeeming qualities are the graphics, the very artistic environment, and the voice acting. The story is one big cliche with a predictable ending (unless you haven't read a good book in the past 20 years). It's a shame that people are setting something like this as "par" for a game now a days. The game is repetitive and boring...the only thing keeping you hooked is the anticipation of the climax of what potentially could have been an amazing story. In the end, you're left with a $60 paperweight (not much replay value in this game folks), a fight-club/12 monkey- esque ending, and characters that you barely care about. I know this review isn't enough to convince a zombie army of new generation gamers, but hopefully it will help people that have taste, and realize that rehashed, gimmick garbage like this wouldn't have cut it 10-15 years ago. See CollegeShinobi's review, he sums it up QUITE well. Expand
  23. Apr 11, 2013
    Definitely was worth the wait. Bioshock Infinite is a beautifully crafted video game with breathtaking visuals and massive scope. It also has an engaging story that will keep you intrigued till the end of the game. With well written dialogue, the banter between the main characters are believable and fun. Varied gameplay elements and different in gaming mechanics makes this a joy to play from start to finish. Definitively a GOTY contender. Expand
  24. Apr 11, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a beautiful game. With a complex story and wonderful graphics, it keeps you guessing at what comes next. This is a great example of where the video game industry should be going.
  25. Apr 12, 2013
    This was a ok game. Not really a fps shooter fan because of the point and shoot(repitiveness); but graphics are beautiful and gameplay was decent and enjoyable.
  26. Apr 14, 2013
    This game was amazing! Every moment of it was fantastic. In some parts it felt like a Bioshock game, but in other parts it didn't, but it worked! The game had an amazing story, that felt tight with fantastic gameplay. Elizabeth was a great companion, when you needed her she would help. It came in handy in battles when she threw health, salts (powers) and ammo. She never got in the way and had an amazing personality. Its really easy to get into to the characters and become attached to them. It is by far the best game I've played so far Expand
  27. Apr 12, 2013
    this game is amazing from start to finish great gameplay amazing story good combat good variety of enemies one of the best games I've ever played irrational games does it again
  28. Apr 13, 2013
    While it isn't exactly the spearhead its predecessor was way back in 2007, Bioshock: Infinite does right by the Bioshock brandname. The art direction is still there, the delicately crafted musical score is there, the combat is responsive and much improved. I still very much prefer the original Bioshock, and wish Infinite had more scares and RPG elements like its predecessor; but even having said that, this game holds up against unreasonable hype and expectations. Buy this game. Ken Levine and the folks at Irrational are doing right by gamers and we need to do right by them. The only thing that sucks about Bioshock: Infinite is its release means we will have to wait another five years to play another game of this ilk. Expand
  29. Apr 13, 2013
    Never has a game so fully encapsulated my thoughts. The relationship you build with Elizabeth, the concepts behind Columbia and the story line are just incredible. The gameplay is very solid, but you almost want to ignore the FPS aspect just to follow the story. Easily one of the best games I have ever played. (If not the best.)
  30. Apr 14, 2013
    bioshock infinite review

the game begins extremely strong beautiful environment which is extremely intriguing. you realise your in a vast environment extremely racist and political tones are presented to you throughout the game which is consistently in your face however it ties in with the story gameplay is flawless however the environment is extremely linear which is a shame
    because the city is so huge. so if you hit a save point make sure you scoped out the environment as much as you can."VIGORS" which are plasmids for bioshock 2" are good fun to play around with however the functionality of them limit you to primarily use the weapons you find in game. story wise. hands down the best story in the history of gaming if not cinema. if they made a movie it would be my favourite movie. 4 years in production winning 85 awards voted world best shooter. credit was given when it was due. Elisabeth helps you throughout the game and in no way shape or form does it feel like a huge escort mission" .
    you can travel using the "sky lines" which basically feels like your on a roller-coaster where tey have also intergrated combat which blends in so well that it is revolutionises the first person shooter" feel"
    the music is amazing the story is amazing gameplay is amazing.

31. Jun 2, 2013
    It's a very solid title, with great visuals and sound (I loved the Skyhook!) However, I can't help but be slightly cynical. The game seems progressive at first but sinks into a rehash of the original Bioshock games as a linear shooter. How great this would have been as a free-roaming game, perhaps some puzzles, and some kind of NPC social element. Also, not to mention I spent a lot of time digging through trashcans and dresser drawers for food & cash. Still a great game with a VERY intriguing and original story. I'm anxious to see what the DLC season pass has to offer. Expand
  32. Apr 15, 2013
    To start this off, I have to say that this game has really impressed me. It's one of the best games in my opinion and one of my top ten video games. Although not as impressive as the e3 demos (to be expected), it still shines in many aspects. For starters, I played the first Bioshock 1 and found myself really enjoying it, especially when first entering Rapture. The same can be said for Columbia. From the moment the game begins, it sucks you right in and doesn't let go till you've explored every aspect of the game. The story is almost flawless keeping you guessing most of the times. There are plenty of twists that will have you shocked. Many moments in this just completely leaves with your mouth hanging in surprise (in a good way). The graphics are very good and polished (which is surprising considering how old the ps3 is). Combat is can range from very fast paced to very slow paced. But that's okay because combing vigors (essentially plasmids from Bioshock) can be very satisfying. That's not to say that the game is a masterpiece, though very close to it, there are still some parts that remain questionable. A lack of bosses really had me disappointed and a few glitches were present in my play-through. These were generally annoying, but forgivable. I hope that a later DLC can handle bosses a little better. I also found handymen and Boys Of Silence to be a bit scarce and disappointing. The ending, however, will leave you shocked and amazed. Once you play through once, you'll want to play through again because everything makes a lot more sense and you are way more immersed. It's sort of like the movie Inception where you had to watch it many times to really enjoy it. My final word are..... go out and buy it! Expand
  33. Jun 14, 2013
    Ièm a little late in reviewing this game although I did happen to buy it on launch. The game is different than the other Bio Shock games, and in a way change can be good, but in this sense it wasn't. The other Bio Shock games had a spooky atmosphere and was kind of eerie. This game is all sunshine and lollipops, with very little replayability.Graphics are good,controls are good,sound was good,story is ridiculous IMO. Its a decent game but not nearly as good as I thought it would be.In a way its cool because the game comes with the original bioshock, but if you already had the game then it makes no difference. There are better games out there, but give it a try, it is worth a try atleast. Expand
  34. Apr 17, 2013
    I am in the process of finishing this game. I am 3/4 of the way done according to the number of chapters. I will say that it is a fantastic and great looking game, but it is not "BioShock". The first BioShock was terrifying and fresh. For example, After upgrading a weapon you would see the attachment highlighted to show what improvements were made. Infinite has "armories" around every corner and feels like a cheap vending machine rather than a rare opportunity. Infinite also lacks that spook factor. You fight primarily human enemies aside from the rare crowmen and firemen. I am also disappointed to report that i have only seen the songbird twice, what is that? Where are the siren kids? I am 3/4 of the way through and have only fought 3 handymen. Oh and not let me forget, I am playing this on HARD! I bought it on Saturday and keep whizzing through. All in all it is your average shooter, definitely not a Bioshock game and is only worth the buy because it came with the original. Expand
  35. Apr 18, 2013
    The game is really good. I've been thinking about it several days after completion, and I've been showing it to friends for the pleasure to share. The main reason is it's a game, but it's also virtual tourism and storytelling mixed together.
    The fact that you need to figure out many things about story by finding clues scattered around increases the sense of interactive storytelling, and
    the misteries and themes on display here is so vast and diverse that your brain will be overheated in the process of munching in all the informations.
    Also, the shifts in the plot and the narrative ellipses are a quite bold and refreshing way to keep things going in a videogame.
    All these different levels of involvement contribute to create a very deep engagement.
  36. Apr 24, 2013
    Where do i even begin? i have never been so excited for a game to be released before. when i heard the announcement for bioshock infinite. i got pretty excited; however i was skeptical about how they were going to change from being trapped in an underwater city, to roaming a city in the sky. But leave it to irratonal games to surprise me. Bioshock infinite fully lives up to my expectations and then some.

the story behind bioshock infinite is you play as booker dewitt, and he has to find a girl to repay a debt, as you progress you find more of the backstory behind this dept and what booker has to pay to wipe it away. and then of course there's how beautiful the game looks. from the astounding first appearance of columbia; to suddenly being in the midst of a civil war in the sky. this is a real sight to behold.

now there are many characters in this game, and all of them has a really interesting backstory, booker is the character you spend the game continually discovering. his story is explained as you play the game: and the reason isn't amnesia for once. he chose to forget but certain events reveal them to the gamer and to the other main character: elizabeth. she is a really interesting character, and she is like booker, her story is cleverly and purposely hidden from the player. and the reveal behind her real personality and backstory leads to one of the most shocking endings to a video game.

the gameplay behind infinite is...functional, it follows the same bioshock 2 formula, guns and plasmids, however in this game there are some welcomed as well as unwelcomed changes; such as plasmids are now vigors, and there's no more adam, money rules this world. when not using vigors, you will hold your weapon like in bioshock 1, unfortunately you can only carry 2 weapons at a time, so you have to be careful on your choices. also you can no longer carry health/salt items. instead to make up for this you are given gear and a regenerating shield. so it's unfortunate, but it's a forgettable change as you go on because now i go into my next part

it is much easier then either of the previous bioshocks. ammo is $8. and that's for every weapon. plus ammo is everywhere as well as is health and salt items, so don't expect to run out of health or salt over a prolonged period. and then we have the best part of the game: skyline fights. by far the best new system in bioshock. you get to use a magnetized hook to ride along skylines as you shoot enemies. and even better, you can use the hook as a melee weapon.

overall the game offers many new features in it's gameplay and offers an intriguing plot with many shocking moments. and if you'll excuse me i have to go beat it again.
  37. Apr 25, 2013
    OK, so I’ve held off on writing this review for a while because I really wanted to digest this game, read other reviews, and see outside opinions.

So I want to preface this by saying I’m a male in my late 20s who’s been gaming for roughly 20 years. Some of my favorite games include Fallout 3, inFamous, Super Mario Galaxy, Dishonored, Batman Arkham City and Asylum, Portal 1 and 2,
    Borderlands 2, and of course the original Bioshock and System Shock 2. I’m currently playing Tomb Raider and have enjoyed it thus far. I play a lot of FPSs, like CoD, BF, Far Cry, and Crysis, but don’t have a distinct favorite genre.

All that said, for me personally, Bioshock Infinite ranks as one of the top 3 games I have currently ever played with Earthbound and MGS 4 (I know MGS 3 is awesome, but going back to an HD Shadow Moses did it for me).

I implore readers to check out other reviews from reviewers that gave Bioshock Infinite a poor score; we have someone who gave Alan Wake and Halo 3 a 0, someone who gave Borderlands 2 a 3, Dishonored a 6, but yet gave Hawken and Street Fighter X Tekken a 7, and another user who gave Uncharted 2 a 1. I could go on, but you get the point. Absolutely these reviewers are entitled to their opinion, but when it becomes apparent that their opinions are there to either weigh down other reviewer scores, or for sheer shock value, well that should tell you something.

I have to laugh when someone complains that Rapture was “scarier,” Columbia isn’t Rapture. I have to laugh when someone compares the Song Bird to a Big Daddy, the Song Bird isn’t a Big Daddy. I have to laugh when someone complains that footage they were shown from development gameplay 2-3 years ago at conventions weren’t in the game, be glad they gave you something you haven’t seen before. I have to laugh when someone complains that they don’t have a choice in the game, this is Irrational Games’ story, they want it told this way. How you want to interpret it, and its ending, that is where you have a choice. In general I have to laugh at other reviews comparing this to the original Bioshock, and complaining about differences. Please know, Bioshock Infinite is NOT synonymous with Bioshock 3. There is no Bioshock 3. If Ken Levine had his way, there wouldn’t have been a Bioshock 2. Yes, it has the same word “Bioshock” in the title, but aside from that, it is a completely different game, and if you can’t accept that, then you should stick with the perfectly awesome original. Stop trying to find a reason to complain. There are things to complain about in this game, those aren’t it.

Bioshock Infinite, for me, was as close to a perfect game as I’ve encountered. The characters were dynamic, and I found myself disappointed with actions that I’d disagree with, and excited when they found success. The voice actors fit incredibly well with the characters. The setting was absolutely gorgeous and interesting, I found myself exploring every nook and cranny. The combat just felt right, every weapon felt “good” to fire, along with the vigors. Elizabeth’s AI might be the most well done video game AI we’ve yet to see. Most importantly, the story was phenomenal. As a huge Fringe fan, I will fully admit my biased here, but I feel confident saying there are plenty that would agree it’s one of the most well told stories in video games.

Is this game perfect? No. There are issues with texture popping, and textures being incredibly grainy, especially on the PS3, and the fact that there was in-game loading while in the same environment (1-3 seconds), simply isn’t acceptable in this day and age.

All that considered, if you weight this game up against what’s been published in the past 5-10 years on console, this is undoubtedly one of the best. The time and effort that the folks at Irrational Games put into Bioshock Infinite is incredibly apparent, and I thank them for their obvious hard work.
  38. Apr 25, 2013
    As games become more and more popular its getting difficult to find a game that feels original, Bioshock Infinite is a truly beautiful game which sets the bar for story driven games. Not only has this been one of the most satisfying games to complete but you'll find your self replaying the game to learn more about Colombia and its racist residents. Admittedly the only reason I have given this game a 9 and not a 10 is because its missing one element of game play which the first Bioshock nailed which is unnerving atmosphere, although Infinite has its moments I found id happily run around corners and pick up items without the fear of being attacked. The original made me nervous to run through a room, id plan how to take out enemy's to preserve ammo which just felt nonexistent in Bioshock Infinite. Over all this is an incredible game and even with its complex story line will manage to keep you intrigued. Expand
  39. Apr 25, 2013
    Its a great game no doubt but i think it needs something new, the trama is good, the enviorement is awesome but alll the other stuff are the same they only made like a combinacion of Bioshcok 1 and 2, but like i say still a great game
  40. Apr 25, 2013
    All I can say is that this game is great, and fun for people to enjoy, but I feel that this game is not as good as what many people and critics say, and is indeed not perfect.
  41. Apr 26, 2013
    THIS GAME IS A MUST GET NOW..

Simply put, the game is gorgeous. And a VERY warm welcome to Bioshock series as I was getting tired of the plain underwater theme. Bioshock's combat is also something to mention, Although Bioshock infinite only offers around 4-5 types of guns for you to use, and around 4 Vigors (or spells) Bioshock managed to create engaging, Fun, and sometimes difficult
    combat! Bioshock Infinite has created some amazing moments and just WOW moments for me & I think it will do the same for you!

If it means something I've also fell in love with Elizabeth.. Yea, I have it bad.
  42. Apr 26, 2013
    I think this game will have the title of not only the game of the year, but perhaps the game of the decade. So she is beautiful and is special. This new level of gaming, but unfortunately these games are not as revolutionary. This is a jump up, and this is possible only Ken Levine. We look forward to the following projects and DLC
  43. Apr 26, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite, what hasn't been said? this game is superb, beautiful visuals,the colors are crisp and the art direction is truly the best ive seen in a while. this game has a interesting story, it starts quite simply, but takes a a dark turn about 20 minutes in and the game has such great flow. combat is rather interesting and the addition of the the new sky rail system keeps it from going stale. It is so familiar yet so different from the previous installments, this is a mature shooter and a experience you would not want to miss, i tip my hats to irrational for pulling this game off. its a must buy Expand
  44. Apr 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. BioShock Infinite is great game tho its much as the others. This is much of copy from 2. Lets get to talking about the game goods and the bad. What i liked about BioShock Infinite was story. It was very interesting and compelling. It was very mature and it speaks to the player on personal and emotional way like walking dead.
    When you you get into the lighthouse and lift off i was wow this is cool and when you got up to the clouds i was wow this is awesome! Graphics were so amazing that its very big plus.
    First when you start using vigor's and weapons it was cool. Also good thing was you get the different weapons and vigor's pretty fast. When i had played this half a day i got bit bored. Too much fighting. I feel that i didn't had enough of resting. You know what i mean? A break when i want to see animations etc. I would have seen more of that
    After all this is very good game and i hope that other game creators would create games like this. Emotional games that personally affects the player. Making him sad and happy.
  45. Apr 28, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is one of those games that everybody should play. Bioshock Inifinite does just about everything right to its remarkable to story to its intense and fun gameplay. The story of Bioshock Inifite is spectacular. It is excellently paced, and has tons of things to do. Although the story is pretty set and "linear" there are tons of different things to go about and do in Columbia which makes each playthrough of the story unique and differnt. There is so much depth to the story that it cant just be playthroughed once. From the voxiphones to the sight seeing there are plenty of things that make you come back to Columbia. Elizabeth your partner through the story makes the story fun and interesting. She also tends to often helps you out in battle. Trust me the story in Bioshock Infinite is incredible and does not disappoint. The long awaited Bioshock Infinite does not disappoint and excels in every way. Deferentially worthy of the Bioshock name and worthy of your purchase. Expand
  46. Apr 30, 2013
    Bioshock 1 is one of my favorite game ever, i never thought that bioshock infinite would be better cuz i really didn't like bioshock 2. But Bioshock Infinite is a MASTERPIECE, you can't leave the countroller, it's almost perfection. Really one or the best game ive ever played!
  47. May 1, 2013
    There's not much I can say that hasn't been said by many others, but this is absolutely my game of the year. Although I liked the previous BioShocks well enough, I had a lot more fun with Infinite. I've played it 11 times so far. I haven't replayed a game this much in many years.
  48. Jun 19, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite, for all intents and purposes is a game that delivers. Elizabeth is a lovable companion, and surprisingly for once, it doesn’t feel like an escort mission. Rather a companion that helps you out when you most need it. The setting and graphics are nothing short of breathtaking. Everywhere you look there is something interesting to look at; it makes you slow down and take a good look before progressing. There is also no feeling of repetitiveness, the game offers quite a bit level design and variety.
    Game flaws would include the fact that you can only carry two weapons at a time, but other than that, there’s really nothing more that can be thought of.
    Bioshock Infinite is a game that will immerse you to the very end. This is a game that instantly hooks you into its world the moment you hit start, and doesn’t let you go until days after you finally get over that ending. It’s that good.
  49. May 3, 2013
    This game was a HUUUGE improvement over the other ones. The first one was okay, the second one was a complete lost of time, but the third one, which usualy in games the third game in the series is the worst, in this case, is probably the best. Good atmosphere at all, very good graphics, music, gameplay is fine, also the grappling hook is very good, and it's a nice add to the game. The ending was a bit disappointing, and I think they could have done it better. Though, this game get's a 9/10. Expand
  50. May 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was a pretty fun adventure but I do feel a bit sad for the Dewitt fellow with the suicide and all.But then again could always just switch dimensions and see him in action again.I also never found out why Comstock is raciest after his or should I say Booker's origin.If you see me say I said hello. Expand
  51. May 11, 2013
    I enjoyed the game at first just wandering around looking at the vendors, and then it was nonstop shooting from there on in that's why I only give this game a six.
  52. May 12, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite is a terrific entry into the Bioshock franchise giving us a beautiful flying city, intelligent AI, breathtaking combat system, magnificent story and probably the best FPS by far that I have ever played. From the audio to the screaming of the Songbird, the music ticks all the right boxes. All the way from start to finish this game shows us that games can become an art form and who could deny that claim.

This game has stunning visuals that would make a computer melt its screen because of it. Columbia looks like a peaceful place but it is a ticking time bomb waiting to go off and the dark underbelly of this FPS shows us that with some bloody violence and some dark and gritty themes all sugarcoated in that 1900's optimism. The skyhook is such a welcome addition to this game and Elizabeth really shines as a partner (although sometimes she feels like a disney princess trapped in an FPS.)

Full of twist and turns and with great randomly generated Gear thrown at you to change up the gameplay with every playthrough this game delivers on what it promised and proves that Bioshock is as good as ever and I'm sure another Bioshock will follow after this one, how could it not. This was a 10 out of 10 experience for me and after the end credits rolled I just wanted to play it all over again, this shows that it was doing something right and it sure has.
  53. May 15, 2013
    Beautiful Imagery, with a clever plot combines for a wonderful and exiting return to the mind of Ken Levine and the Bioshock universe. Yet throughout my ventures into "Columbia", i felt something was missing. The highly boasted companion A.I became a repetitive blend of an ammo source and questionably perfecting the art of dodging straying bullets. I also felt the lack of a real threat enemy became highly apparent in the closing final act, with the presence of "1999 Mode" boasting a "Real Challenge" it felt more like a tweaked hard mode.

The voice and audio work, really carried this game with some impressionable moments. As a gamer i would highly recommend it, yet i believe the original heavily over shadows it and alot of gamers carry their love for the original over to this and are blinded by some of its flaws. "Columbia" itself became just a mere ground for combat as soon as the first shots echoed from Bookers pistol. The people within disappeared into the shadows and later become these strange, narrative breakers or a mere limbo between combat. The audio logs which made "Rapture" so vivid, became another plot device.

To finish this review "Bioshock: Infinite" is a great game with some brilliant moments and a finish which will boggle the mind, yet has it flaws which have been overlooked by so many.

Premium Edition Content Review 9/10- £54.99
    I have always been a fan of alternate editions yet i feel this trend have more slipped into additional content rather anything of substances, however this package was an ideal blend, with a beautiful art book, ideal for the bigger fans of the series.
  54. May 17, 2013
    So this game is so beautiful i never seen anything like it before and i mean story not graphics.
    This game goes easily to my top games. And there is ONLY FEW bad things in this game and they are that there is way too much shooting and enemies... also you cannot sneak past guards or avoid fighting normaly that's why it cannot get 10/10
  55. Jun 27, 2013
    A wonderfully crafted game with detail in every corner, a cohesive and interesting story that not only challenges the mind but grips it from start to finish. The art style is wonderful, creating a believable and beautiful world one could love to get lost in. Elizabeth is the best companion character of any game to date which serves to add to the combat as much as the story. A climax that defies all belief marks this game out as one in a million, mastering the art of writing for an interactive medium, this is everything the first two games were and more. Well done Irrational Expand
  56. Jun 1, 2013
    Let me just say, this is not only one of, if not the best, written video game of all time, this is one of the most well written THING... as in Everything, of all time. I've never read a book with this good of a story. I've never watched a movie with this good of a story. I've never read a comic book with this good of a story, nor poem, nor song, nor play. It had me close to tears by the end. It taps into the hidden potentials of video games as an artistic medium to make one of the greatest games of this generation. Expand
  57. Jul 29, 2013
    one of the best games of this generation, and prob one of the best of all time, the final was amazing, words cant explain the epicness of a ending like that, no gamer should avoid a game like this one
  58. Jun 4, 2013
    Its just a GREAT game. I cant even describe it. Its just so much fun to play and the story is great. It is just so much fun to play and after i write this review im going to play it. So its a VERY great game.
  59. Jun 5, 2013
    I was scared that all the hype would build my expectations up to the point where the game couldn't meet them, but it didn't. This game was fantastic. The last hour or so of the game throws alot at you at once, and for alot of people it will be hard to understand. If you do manage to grasp the concepts, however, you might want to lay a pillow out on the floor for when your jaw hits it.
  60. Jun 5, 2013
    Where do I really start? do I outline the beautiful backdrops and atmosphere, or rant about the marvelous use of of powers?(vigors). I like to address the cons first before I dive into the meat of the game, unfortunately, the meat in this case is somewhat gimmicky and bitter tasting. More specifically, the rail system. Now don't get me wrong; its an innovative take on a shooter that needed that extra push, but after about 5 hours in, you realize that its more amusing to actually fight head on with the vigors than to utilize the hook system.

Now this is a double sided sword, while the system is something the series needed (a new mechanic) it suffers from being too far and grossly in between. When provided to the player the rails are quick "get away" tools and add tons of variety to simple run and gun tactics. In large areas surrounded by enemies is where the system works, so why they give you small clunky areas to operate in, is beyond me.

One quickly learns that the most fun part about the rails is the one hit deaths, which can be utilized indefinitely, so for you fans of Batman, this feature alone will bring back memories. Control wise, using the hook system is easy to jump into, nothing is complicated when it comes to using the hook, and taking in all the visual from the game while riding the rails is truly majestic; However as mentioned, combat wise, its a gimmick at best, but a gimmick that doesn't wear thin.

Onto the gameplay; its solid, its more than solid, its damn near perfect. Fans of both Bioshocks will fall right in, and newcomers will find it easy to pick apart any group of enemies with precision and glorious carnage. A major take on the previous powers, are the vigors; want to see your enemy burn into a cinder? how about command crows to tear flesh from those that oppose you? It's here, its visceral, and above all, its fun. All powers now come with a trap version that makes each and every power unique and extremely versatile.

This is where the game really shines, simply because of the subjectivity of the player(s), some people may not like fire (as rare as that may seem) others, may prefer to stop their enemies in their tracks and create a shooting gallery for themselves, nothing is off limits, and how you end a battle, can and usually is; completely different than how it began. This is mainly due to the fact that certain powers can be "combined" by using them after another; for example; using the crow summon on someone who's already on fire, will breed flame crows, a delicious little reward for those wanting to experiment, and that alone is reason enough to play the game.

The story is as most expected, beautiful, its carefully written, and easily immerses the player with accents, strong dialogues and unforgiving tones. This of course is expected if you played the last two games. Nothing in Bioshock is subtle, its in your face, and shouts to be heard, seen and even tasted.

The visuals of course are on par with the stunning beauty of the likes of Skyrim, the atmosphere is spot on, and most of the time you'll be taking pauses to just look around and take it all in, even the sounds keep you wanting to play the game even if you only have a few seconds to spare.

Bioshock Infinite is gold coated in honey and wrapped in bacon; its everything you want from the series, and more, the only reason it isn't a 10 in my eyes, is simply because the use of the rail system is a tad gimmicky at times, and the final "fight" was far too typical and one dimensional.
  61. Jun 6, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite may have one of the best stories I have heard, in movies and games. The character of Elizabeth is captivating and masterfully written, the city of Columbia is as fully realised as Rapture was & the twists and turns are genious. The graphics aren't the best we've seen but the gorgeous art design completely saves it. The voice acting is top class and completely believable. I loved Bioshock Infinite so much, but I can't give it a perfect score due to it's only average gameplay mechanics. I felt that the original Bioshock suffered from this as well but not as much because it's more random encounters of enemies then waves of them, which Bioshock Infinite has, but I still had fun with the game at times, and it never took me out of the story at any time. I played Bioshock Infinite a month or two ago and I'm still thinking about the story and it's ending, which I'd like to say is one of the most satisfying endings I have ever come across. Ken Levine, you are a genius. Expand
  62. Sep 20, 2013
    This is another story were I was emotionally invested in seeing the ending, and without any spoilers it did not disappoint. My only grip with was its game-play ya it was good but it lacked a lot. For one it was not hard to play it was fairly easy. Towards the end it got tedious to play it got a bit repetitive. Not a lot of gun variety when that is your primary source of killing fools. And why couldn't I hold more than two guns? With that being said I still loved the game and would recommend it to everyone with a PC Xbox or PS3 Expand
  63. Jun 9, 2013
    BioShock Infinite is a great example of how delaying a game for more development time isn't a bad idea at all. This allowed Irrational Games to make an absolutely beautiful experience full of great characters and good gameplay paired with an amazing story. Booker's and Elizabeth's characters are brought together by not only the great writing, but also awesome voice acting by veteran voice actor Troy Baker and Courtnee Draper.

The game is set in 1912, during the American exceptionalism and has you play as Booker DeWitt, a former Pinkerton agent who is sent to the floating city of Columbia to rescue a young woman named Elizabeth and bring her back to his employers in New York City. Soon after his arrival in the city above the coast of Maine, he finds that this slice of heaven in the skies is in a state of decay with two different factions battling for the future of Columbia, one side trying to keep the city as pure as possible and the other, called Vox Populi, acting as a group of rebels trying to fight for civil rights for all. This internal conflict sends Booker and Elizabeth flying through the middle of it all, on their way down to the ground and back to New York.

The fictional floating city is bright and vivid in colour and is just generally a sight for sore eyes, although it is hiding some dark secrets. This is good, because BioShock Infinite forces you to loot and scavenge for ammo, money and salts that power your vigors. Elizabeth will often find these things and will then toss them to you in an attempt to help you during your time of need. In general, Elizabeth is one of the best characters in video gaming. She is well written and her character model is superb, as is her AI. She will always take cover from incoming fire, although the enemies will never go after her. Irrational has done all they can to make Infinite not just a long escort mission which shows, as you never feel like you have to care for Elizabeth. She can take care of herself, which is good.

All in all, BioShock Infinite is a stunningly beautiful experience, but it has its flaws as most games do. You can and should pick it up for the PS3, Xbox 360 and PC.
  64. Jun 10, 2013
    The feel of the game is what was incredible for me. The developers did such a nice job bringing you into a 1912 Sci-Fy World. I was completely indulged in the story and felt as if I was actually Detective Booker running around with guns and throwing magical grenades, trying to get from point A to point B.

Which was my only problem, getting to point A to point B was sometimes a chore for
    me. At times I felt like I just wanted the combat to stop so I could get to my next objective. On the other hand, I can agree with all the hype and high review scores because this game achieved some of the most important aspects us gamers look for, and thats to fully wallow ourselves into the game. Expand
  65. Jun 9, 2013
    A good game, but not a great game.
    Bioshock Infinate is visually incredible, apparent from the opening mission right throughout the entire game. But when you strip away those visuals, well its really just another shooter. And in my opinion just a decent shooter at that. The rail system running throughout Colombia however makes a what would otherwise a dull shooter, a much much better one.
    And I did have fun using it for a while.
    I was disappointed to find that a lot of the stuff we were shown in the year running up to the games release, never actually made it into the game. Having played and loved Bioshock I was also a little disappointed with the games setting Colombia. While it looked incredible it just felt too empty and desolate. Time between gunfights was mostly spent rooting in bins for ammo with little in the way of exploration and unlike Bioshocks underwater Rapture it never felt 'real'.
    Am not going to spoil the story for anyone. My opinion is that it was good. But nothing like some would have you believe.
  66. Jun 9, 2013
    Firstly I'd like to state that I haven't played the original Bioshock games, which is why this game was a 9 rather than an 8. I say that because the ending was amazing to me, shocking and I didn't expect it. If i played the original, I would have prepared myself for some sort of plot twist, but then again I even heard the players of the original games were pretty surprised and shocked too, so although they was expecting some sort of twist, 2K games managed to please both older and newer players to Bioshock. And unlike most people, I actually preferred that ending, to what others might have wanted. And although it was disappointing to an extent, I still couldn't wait to replay the game anyway.

To the game. The story isn't what makes this game, it certainly drives it, but it was fun to play! The gameplay was fluent, a little crazy at times, but luckily the skyline gets you away from danger whilst zipping around, getting ready for another attack. It manages to get you involved with not just 'if you can defeat the enemies', but also 'how to defeat the enemies'. And although many people say that the AI isn't really hard, that is true, sometimes there's a few parts where you think 'was that it?' But believe me is does get harder at times, especially in the last hour or 2.

It's beautiful to look at and I wish you could've explored Columbia more at the beginning, but it gives you enough exploration throughout the game to satisfy the eyes anyway. I mean even when Columbia takes a turn for the worse, it still looks amazing. And talking of exploration, it DOES gives you enough freedom. I've heard that 'there isn't enough freedom in the game', 'you can go here, but not there' and that 'you should be able to go into every building'. For what? A few extra coins? (Which Elizabeth kindly finds occasionally throughout the game for you anyway) No, you don't need that sort of freedom, there's enough for you to look at, enough buildings to go into and although it can be linear at times it still doesn't force you to not explore.

Weapons in the game are alright, but don't waste your money upgrading them. Me personally, I found that whatever weapon I had would run out of ammo quickly. And I stupidly upgraded the pistol early on (Thinking cheap and cheerful) But I quickly found myself struggling to find ammo for it, and in the end I had to get rid of it for what the AI was using at the time. Upgrades for weapons in this game is pointless anyway. Even when you max out a weapon, it feels no different, you'll just find yourself picking up another weapon through sheer panic when bombarded with enemies. But that's not to say it's bad, there's a good choice of weapons, and upgrading them isn't necessary (But that's my opinion) I would rather upgrade the Vigors.

Vigors are these drinks which you find throughout the game and these drinks give you different types of abilities. Yeah, kind of like magic in a bottle. And they range really well, players of the original game I've heard were disappointed with the range, but for new players like me, I enjoyed using the Vigors, a lot. Even though there's 8 different types of Vigors, with great variety, you'll find yourself using 2 or 3 that you'll use and not the rest. But you'll be working your fighting style around them for sure, you can toss a group of enemies in the air whilst you can either run to safety to find health kits, or just shoot them whilst there floating. You can even absorb the enemies bullets and then fling it back at them to blow them and nearby enemies away, whilst saving your own bullets. Or you can even charge at them with your skyhook, killing them quickly and swiftly. There's a lot of choice and the upgrades for them are useful too, sometimes necessary. Would you want to upgrade a Vigor so that you can turn a human enemy to be on your side for a short time, and then see them kill themselves because they can't live with what they've just done, YES! So in my opinion, upgrading the Vigors over weapons is what I'll be doing in the next playthrough.

Negatives. Well you can say this isn't a HUGE leap forward in gaming, it was a good story with good gameplay. The 2 weapon slots was a terrible idea, annoying at times when they both run out of ammo, it almost forces you to use the AI weapons or to use the Vigors. The boss battle dragged on too long, the last level was ridiculously hard, you end up running around for salts to refill your Vigors or ammo for the weapons. You find these voxaphones throughout the game, which give you good and interesting information about the main story and other great little stories, but you struggle to find most of them. One of my friends told me something what happened in the game and I had no idea that happened. Good idea but I got bored looking for them. Which can also be said about the kinetoscopes, like an early form of TV, I got bored looking for them too.

But I really enjoyed it, I would certainly recommend it. GOTY? Maybe, we'll see!
  67. Jul 24, 2013
    Would give this game a 8.8/10...
    A brilliant game that will certainly go down as a classic of our generation however, it is not without its flaws. The game has a strong story with a great ending and twist that even few movies could say are better and the characters are stellar and well written. The voice acting is sublime and the core game play is relatively good.
    The issues do however
    stick out, especially if playing the game is played for long periods. The combat can be repetitive and tedious and their is far too much back tracking for a game of this scope. I played the game on medium and it was far too easy but suddenly the last battle on the ship was almost impossible without a tip from the net. The inclusion of Elizabeth's tears made combat bit more varied yet the same things kept being rehashed and a bit more variety and creativity would have been nice. Another minor gripe for me is the power ups/plasmids. They aren't explained at all like in the first game and don't seem to belong along with being relatively useless for most of the game as guns just seem to be a better option throughout.
    The game does have beautiful visuals however, and the world is very well thought out and made. The music is sublime and it creates a brilliant and intriguing atmosphere at the start and becomes eerie and creepy towards the end.
    I have to confess that this is not the best Bioshock game as that crown is definitely still with the first one, but this is still a game that you should definitely not miss and is worth playing even though there are minor issues I pointed out.
  68. Jun 10, 2013
    The Bioshock franchise has always been praised and loved for its epic settings,excellent storytelling and groundbreaking gameplay.Bioshock Infinite takes that old and great formula and cranks it up in the best aspects.Bioshock Infinite takes place in the gorgeous city of Columbia following a quest by a man named Booker Dewitt trying to find a girl named Elizabeth to repay a debt.I know what you are thinking,a game about a flying city,that the protagonist is trying to escape from with his/her companion while using a big arsenal of guns and skyhooks has already been done before (take Ratchet and Clank).Dont be fooled,Bioshock Infinite is one of the most original and best story driven games out there.any talk saying that this game is overated,stupid,etc,etc.thats just well.....****.ALTHOUGH im not saying this is a perfect game,any gameplay/walkthrough you have seen has shown this game's magesticly beautiful graphics in which i kid you not,i played this game like if it were a movie trying to walk as slow as possible while enjoying the beautiful detailing and......AMBIENCE of it all.If games like Journey or Flower,hooked you and favored it for its visuals then i URGE you to get Infinite KNOW.but know the last aspect you might want to know about....the gameplay.Personally........I really am not fond of the gameplay,i am not saying its bad its just that........like all Bioshocks,the whole game feels like you are just shooting some cardboard enemies in a cakewalk difficult game.The Plasmid feature of the first games including this one know called vigors was a fantastic experience and also know with the addition of the skyhook,it is even more fun BUT the combat it self is stiff and feels way too un-rewarding when you actually get to kill someone,although it still is fun bashing dudes in the face with skyhooks and bullets while swarming them with crows.As in the difficulty,its hard (when played on hard).the game has a fantastic/beautiful soundtrack and although it is a day-short game,IT HAS (no pun intended) INFINITE REPLAY VALUE.The biggest downside of the game for me besides the combat for me is that the fact that thesongbird character is under developed for how awesome he is.So on conclusion,Bioshock Infinite is a masterpiece experience that could only be experienced by playing it.It may not be industry changing game people proclaim it to be but,i still oblige you to buy it or atleast DEFINETLY rent it.Btw I THINK RAPTURE IS WAY BETTER THAN COLUMBIA. Expand
  69. Jun 11, 2013
    stunning don't hesitate buy it brilliant story best looking game i played in awhile and gore galore. this game is the best in the series by far also has a few mini games built in which can be fun ~P
  70. Jun 11, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite contains everything a game should have; good gameplay, a great story, admirable characters- this game got it all. Hyped up since the announcing of it, Bioshock Infinite was surely in for a ride. I preordered a copy and waited. Finally, the game was starting up. The gameplay was amazing. They clearly fixed the shooting problems that was from the first game, and added a lot more weapons. The story was mind-blowing, and there is a HUUUUGEE twist that comes out of this. You become attached to the characters with the snap of your finger, and you meet many more along the way. The voice acting is incredible, ranging from teary song lyrics sung by Elizabeth to heart-breaking tales told by Booker. I highly recommend this game- and if you played the first two games like I did, you will like it ever more. Expand
  71. Jun 12, 2013
    It is obvious a GoTY contender and most people who hate it are mainly just hipster jumping on the bandwagon because all they play are indie games.
  72. Jun 14, 2013
    Infinite has the potential to be the GOTY.
    It has a compelling story,Awesome atmosphere it almost makes you wanna live there.
    and great gameplay and tons of replay value.
    It's a great addition to the FPS genre and i suggest that you buy it!!
    because that money will be well spent even though you're not a fan of FPS's you will definitely enjoy BIOSHOCK INFINITE!!
  73. Jun 14, 2013
    Well to preface this review, I have never finished the first Bioshock and haven't even played (although I have access to it through Playstation Plus) the second game. I have tried on several occasions to finish the first one but it never grabbed me enough to keep me going through. Fortunately not playing the first two games did not diminish my enjoyment of this one. Although I will say that having played through the opening sequence of the first game did provide me with a great "aha!" moment in Infinite.

The second caveat to this review is that this is a game I would typically have played on my PC as that is where I play most of my shooters, or any game that is available there for that matter. However Infinite fit into the style of game that my wife enjoys watching me play so I picked it up on PS3 so it would be a "couch game" that I only played when we sat down together. So I went in expecting to miss my mouse and keyboard...

So onto my actual thoughts on the game:

Graphics
    The game looks beautiful, but I can't say that I'm surprised. For whatever the reason may be that I didn't finish the first game it wasn't the look of it as I really enjoy the visual styling of this series. The sense of place and the atmosphere they are creating comes through extremely well in the graphical style. Character models are easily identifiable and have personality. The lighting, contrast, and color palette all serve the greater purpose of drawing you into the world of Columbia. And the empathy I had for Elizabeth was aided greatly by the attention to detail in her model and the emotion she was able to convey through her animation. I must add though that they could have toned down the sexualization of her model as it wasn't necessary.

Gameplay
    Well here is where I thought the game might fall short, if only because of my own failings. As I said I am primarily a PC gamer and whether it is my age or too many years of doing it with a mouse and keyboard...my ability to play FPS style games on a gamepad quite frankly sucks. However I really didn't find myself struggling as I thought I might. There seemed to be enough forgiveness in the shooting that I managed quite handily. Keep in mind I played on normal difficulty as well. This was probably helped by the vigors which didn't necessarily require pinpoint accuracy.

On the subject of vigors, I largely ignored most of them and kept to the two I had gotten used to without really trying the rest too much. By the end I felt that maybe this was a weakness in the game, but I went and watched several other gameplay videos after the fact and everybody was doing mostly the same except they had chosen different ones thinking they had found the perfect pairing. That right there got me excited to maybe go through the game again trying different methods.

I will say though that I was disappointed in the decision to limit the gamer to two weapons. I never felt I had all of the right tools for the job and wish I was allowed three. I went through most of the game with a close in weapon (in my case a burstgun) and a sniper rifle. I wished I had a third slot for a heavy weapon such as an RPG.

For my skill level, normal difficulty was about perfect. I steadily progressed and I can only recall one time where I was actually frustrated as I failed a segment three times before I was able to get it right. And there was one point in the game where I didn't know where to go next and the guide arrow wasn't helping... But over the course of many hours one section that didn't quite hit and one where I got lost is more than understandable.

Story
    Here is where the rubber meets the road in a game such as this and it did not disappoint at all. I was engaged with seeing it through to the end the entire way through and loved how things wrapped up. As the tale reached a fever pitch I found myself so emotionally invested I believe I forgot to blink for a period of time...yup, that's why my eyes looked all watery, they were trying to hydrate...

I will say that I wish I had played the game in a more compact and quicker way to fully appreciate the story that was told as in the end there were some points I missed that I feel if I had played in a more condensed fashion I would have gotten. Plus there was some side stuff that didn't seem necessary or fully fleshed out, but the main story, the story of Booker and Elizabeth, was more than enough to carry this game.

Conclusion
    In the end this game reminded me about what I love most about gaming and why as a 40 year old man I continue to use it as my form of relaxation. Engaging storytelling coupled with fun gameplay. I play so many games I rarely finish most of them, but this is one I had to see to the finish.
  74. Jun 17, 2013
    "Just because a city flies doesn't mean it don't have it's share of fools." Let Me say I enjoyed this game a lot. I loved the dynamic between Booker and Elizabeth. I absolutely loved watching Columbia crumble around Them as the Comstock faithful fought with the Vox populi. The graphics are not that great, but when You consider the scope of this whole city existing and floating and swaying in the wind while leaves fall from the trees and people populate the streets conversing it's easy to forgive any minor flaws You could nitpick from the presentation. The gameplay is light and pretty good actually I loved the vigors You get to take advantage of and the weapons provided. I'd have to say thee most fascinating facet of this game is the presence of the Lutece siblings. All of their dialogue is smart, witty, amusing, and thought provoking. overall a wonderful game if not a tad bit overrated. Expand
  75. Jun 19, 2013
    I love the game, the shooting mechanics are superb. The level design is really creative and fantastic. The best thing about this game was Elizabeth. She is one of the best companions in video gaming history.
  76. Oct 25, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite would've been my first Bioshock. But I decided to play through the original Bioshock first, since it came with Infinite as a downloadable bonus. After I finished Bioshock, I played through Bioshock Infinite right after so the first Bioshock would be fresh in my mind and so I could compare them. I am happy to say that while I prefer the first one, Bioshock Infinite is one of the best games I have ever played. The graphics in this game are BEAUTIFUL- seriously, everything looked amazing. The city of Columbia always felt alive and vibrant, even when you were fighting people. Where Rapture was dark and gloomy, Columbia is bright and colorful, which is a welcome change. Don't get me wrong, I loved Rapture, but I liked Columbia better as a city. Gameplay wise, Infinite controls well, and the mechanics of using visors and shooting are solid. The best part of infinite, in my opinion, is the story. I was not expecting anything this deep and intricate. Booker DeWitt (the character you play as), and Elizabeth, the girl you protect, are great characters, and they help the story in a bunch of ways. The ending of the story is one of the most though provoking endings I've ever experienced, and I implore you not to spoil it for yourself before playing. The only reason I like The first Bioshock better is because it just appealed to me more. While I didn't like a rapture as much, the game made me feel scared and nervous, which is exactly what it was supposed to do. It had great survival horror elements, and the enemies in that game were scary as HELL. That game was so dark, and I loved it for it. That's why I liked Bioshock better. That doesn't mean I didn't love Infinite, though. Infinite is, as I said earlier, one of the best games I've ever played. It is worth the buy. Expand
  77. Jun 20, 2013
    This game is pretty awesome! I am a huge fan of first person shooters. The skyline is something I have never seen in a video game. It was like going through a roller coaster. Controls were easy and adjustable. I liked this game because of the setting of a city in the sky, the graphics, textures, and the combat. Elizabeth was very helpful and not dead weight for me to look after. The story was intriguing but I was a little disappointed by the ending because it was a little confusing until my second play through.

Bottom Line: Excellent Shooter, helpful AI, unique setting, with a cerebral ending
  78. Jun 22, 2013
    I've played many wonderful games in my youth. You know, when you are young and world is new and your friends are around and having fun everything is so much better.

I became software developer. As ages passed I've got lonelier. As I've become more experienced I've started to be numb to the new games. Yes, I saw colors in them and, sure, I bited. But to my sadness I felt no taste, no
    emotions. I felt I'm a keyboard&mouse operating machine that needs to execute to finish the game.

I though I'm getting old. Took me a while....

I've started Bioshock Infinite with usual: I've saved so many worlds before, this will be done in no time, just show me The Boss.

And then somewhere half way though the I felt that tingling sensation. I felt something! I felt the people who created this game saves many worlds as well. And this one is somehow different. I felt young and surprised by the world.

And when I passed the game ending I was just an ashamed and astonished kid that was lucky to touch the masterpiece made by of people truly order of magnitude wiser then him.
  79. Jun 23, 2013
    Certainly a good game, but lacking rather a lot in comparisson to the first Bioshock. The world, though beautiful and original, doesn't feel cohesive. The game also suffers greatly from overambition in terms of themes. It seeks to explore far too much, and ends up not giving any of the ideas it wants to explore any of the depth they deserve. This is particularly true of racism, nationalism and zealotism which simply serve as backdrop to a larger sci-fi adventure. The main characters of Brooker and Elizabeth are good as far as game characters go, though nothing particularly special in terms of depth. Gameplay is fun and liberating, but doesn't fit within the world particularly, and can become a chore at times as you fight wave after wave of enemies. Expand
  80. Jun 23, 2013
    If you are a human being you should buy this game, period. I just recommend that you don't speed through the game because you might miss a lot of great details and foreshadowing in the game. You will end up loving Elizabeth, who is the best AI companion I've seen in a video game. If you like shooters, this is for you. The sky line and vigors add some variety to the combat while the excellent story will motivate you to push through. My one issue is with the graphics, which I expected to be much better. Things look a little too grainysometimes and it leaves you wanting more. But this is a minor gripe and you should definitely pick this game up. Expand
  81. Jun 25, 2013
    Bioshock Infinite has an amazing story, beautiful graphics and memorable characters but lacks in game play. It's not terrible its just nothing special. The Vigors are fun to use but some of them are under powered and so are some of the weapons. I recommend this game just for the story. Seriously the ending will blow you'er mind.
  82. Jun 29, 2013
    I played the game before, and I just watched a playthrough of it. It has the most beautiful story ever. Everyone should play it. I like the gameplay too. Some people had problems with the combat, I didn't, I really liked it; I usually don't play first person shooters, I don't really like them, but in this game, I enjoyed it. Best ending ever, best game ever, 10/10.
  83. Jul 5, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. the game is great i rely love this game but the game play not improve but the story is the best part of the game i feel like i was in a interactive movie the best part of the game is the ending and the charters Expand
  84. Dec 20, 2013
    Welcome to the true FPS game, this game is a masterpiece. The fact that Booker is as a real character instead of a character who has no name and does not talk is awesome. The relationship between the two characters is amazing and the story is truly a work of genius, at the beginning of the game the player has no idea of the turns the story takes. Combat is ingenious and skylines are fun in a combat situation, the vigors are awesome powers that Booker can use. In terms of graphics this game is a masterpiece, Columbia is an amazing city where the player is able to spend hours contemplating the landscape. I never gave perfect score to a FPS game, but here you can forget everything you know about an FPS game, the Bioshock franchise is simply the best FPS ever. Expand
  85. Jul 6, 2013
    The best Story in a video game period. amazing characters, fun gameplay, beautiful setting, and DLC coming in the future! can't wait. This was worth the $60 I paid and worth the wait.
  86. Jul 10, 2013
    2013 have been a great year for gaming with some epic games coming out, BioShock Infinite is in my to 3 so far. BioShock Infinite's story is bit confusing for the first time but that makes the experince even better. Gameplay does tend to take you out of the story a little bit but it wasn't a big deal. The two main characters (Booker and Elizabeth) were done perfectly but all the other characters in the game were kinda boring even comstock wasn't that great. Expand
  87. Jul 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I'll do a list of things that I enjoyed and follow it up with a few of my complaints.

I really enjoyed the setting. The city of Colombia is very detailed and has a lot for the player explore. The combat system is true to the Bioshock series. The diversity of the enemies makes the combat much more challenging and fun. The voice acting is top notch. The AI is very good as well. The Skyhook offers an interesting approach to both the combat and navigation of Colombia.

While the voice acting is very good, I feel like having a main character that speaks takes away from the game. The introduction of the alternate dimensions in this game definitely hurt the series in my opinion. Although it isn't a commonly used plot point, I feel that it doesn't really have a place in video games. Songbird would have been a very cool mini boss of sorts, but was wasted in my opinion. It could have played a much larger role in the story.

All in all, this game was very deserving a positive rating despite a few short comings in my opinion. You have to judge what is there, not what isn't, and what is there is phenomenal.
  88. Jul 28, 2013
    Lets just say, this game is truly a masterpiece, The graphics, storyline, combat, and the mindf@#! moments all make this game worth every cent, I certainly will play this again, and again.

BUY IT!
  89. Jul 29, 2013
    Most disappointing game of the year

Gameplay: The game involves you shooting a lot of people while using powers (vigors) to dispatch of them. This may seem like fun but enemy AI has got to be some of the worst I have ever seen, if they're not busy running towards you they're either running in circles around an object or they're standing on one spot making them easy targets, this seemed
    like it would make the game easy but every enemy is a massive bullet sponge and will force you to scavenge during the battle while someone charges behind you with a shotgun. Almost every weapon is useless and you will find yourself keeping the same two weapons for the whole game since they are the strongest out of all weapons. The same goes for vigors here (Bucking Bronco itself is all that's really needed to win). All of the exploration from previous Bioshock games are missing here and this game becomes mostly a corridor shooter, the only exploration involved is the use of lock-picks to open doors for more items but these don't really keep anything special. There is gear that can be found and added onto your character and can change your abilities such as making your melee strikes stronger but you'll hardly be worrying about these apart from when you find your first one. The sky-hook system isn't that good either; while the controls are good when riding it there is hardly any use for them, every combat section can be beaten without them since death isn't much of a penalty in the game apart from losing money. Also the game sometimes doesn't realize that you want to ride them even when you're right underneath them looking up so then you're left jumping up and down like an idiot. Elizabeth's AI is helpful as she will help find stuff throughout the game from ammo to salts (for vigors) to health packs and money, she will never get harmed during combat which is a good thing as it keeps the game from becoming an escort mission were you'd be panicking about the enemies banzai rushing her as well as you. Elizabeth can also make tears at certain points in the game which will help you during combat, these tears in reality make more weapons show up and even machines that will help you by shooting at the enemies and distract them. Combat is typical shooter overall but can get dull and repetitive especially in one chapter that requires you to fight the same boss battle three times in a row.

Story: The story starts off very well and can be intriguing. However there is plenty of things wrong with it. I understand that the game is set in a time period where racism was accepted in the world however this subject matter isn't executed in a good way, it is seen in a complete good/bad manner with no middle ground at all and this becomes very noticeable by the middle act of the game. Even worse though without giving this arc in the story a proper resolution it is instead forgotten about for another story which involves Elizabeth's tears. This is when the story starts to fall apart because not only is there no sense of society falling apart there is now a story which soon becomes full of plot holes and cliche's which hardly makes any sense. Every character in this game is either unlikable, moronic or underdeveloped, Booker DeWitt isn't a character I enjoyed playing in fact I started to despise him more and more as the story progressed. Comstock is a contender for the lamest villain of all time and Songbird is hardly in the game at all. The only character that I did care for was Elizabeth which is a shame because it is her reality tears that cause most of the stories problems and with all of the plot-holes present it's hard to like her when you don't even know what the hell is going on. There are a couple of twins who show up and while they seem peculiar and funny at first I did just want to shoot them by the end of the game.

Graphics: The graphics are the best thing about the game, there is a crazy amount of detail to every location in the game with only a couple of dull corridors. Every character has a great amount of detail and emotion in all of their actions and the effects from the vigors look cool when they are used which is awesome.

Bioshock Infinite isn't the greatest the game of all time sadly which is a shame. Part of my disappointment comes from how different the product has became during the whole development. If you have watched any demos or trailers for the past 2 years and can't wait to use features or play moments that were shown in them. Then you will be just as disappointed as I am, virtually nothing from these demos happen and I feel rather cheated at the fact these never showed up in the final game especially when these demos claimed to be actual gameplay. For every good point about this game has there is always a dozen problems holding it back. If you are new to Bioshock I would greatly suggest you take a visit to Rapture in the first two games rather than join Columbia no matter how nice it looks up there.
  90. Jul 29, 2013
    This is surely one of my favorite games ever. It was only an average fps and the graphics only seemed amazing due to the lighting, but I'll give those any day for a spectacular setting and a masterpiece of a story. Its true some of the game is like watching a movie, but those parts can be refreshing after massacring people for hours just preceding them. Buy this game. Although it has some flaws it is still one of the best games made in a long time. Expand
  91. Aug 4, 2013
    The gameplay was fluid and at the same time extreme, the story had depth and was complex unlike a lot of fps games these days, the graphics were absolutely outstanding, and finally the soundtrack gave it that 1900s touch. Bioshock Infinite is one of those games where you sit, paralyzed on your couch, after having finished the story, still digesting the series of events that had just happened. Simply beautiful, one of my favorite games I've ever played. Expand
  92. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I was a huge fan of the first Bioshock game. Its story and setting were compelling, truly alive and stood out as something fresh and interesting, which more than made up for its uninspired gameplay mechanics. During my stay in rapture I felt right. I was an ordinary man, lost and out of his element, forced to survive in a beautiful and terrible, alien world. Every audio-log I found, every room, every character added another piece to the incredible mystery that was rapture and the games big reveal was not only in-keeping with the world, but surprising enough to genuinely impress me. Bioshock Infinite had none of these things. There was no facet of this game which could hold a candle to its predecessor.
    (THIS WAY BE SPOILERS!)
    Not only did the audio-logs (one of my favorite features in Bioshock) fail to add to the story, they failed to provide any information at all. The supporting cast was almost non-existent. From Jeremiah Fink to Daisy Fitzroy, none grew or changed as the story progressed, even Booker/Comstock had no goals beyond violence in order to control Elizabeth. Speaking of the only character you ever learned anything about, Elizabeth played a pathetically subservient role in both the story and gameplay, constantly requiring Booker's help to survive and even his permission to open locks or tares (the only things she can do). The story's climax and resolution failed to add anything to the story or develop any of the characters AND managed to retcon itself and the entirety of the rest of the game up to and including the only thing it managed to do even partially well. Which brings me to my high-point in the game: Colombia. While it lacked the mystique and life of Rapture it was, nonetheless, breathtaking. There have been few games that have created such a visual spectacle. Yet just like its inhabitants, it was empty. In spite of the fact that it was supposed to be a city of thousands, brimming with life, it felt far more dead than a the ruined and blasted Rapture ever did. Neutral npcs would stand still and repeat the same tasks for hours with no reaction to Booker's presence and would suddenly vanish without a trace once combat began. As the game progressed the world became increasingly empty and repetitive. While some levels like the Hall of Heroes mixed things up, the game never really changed in tone or appearance. Then comes the gameplay. Combat has been my low-point for every Bioshock game, but considering 2K had FIVE YEARS to improve upon it there is simply no excuse. The fact that it has degenerated is just a nail in the coffin. Unlike plasmids, vigors were almost entirely useless with the only Possession ever serving a practical use. The AI was dense and could be easily outwitted with tactics as simple as circle-kiting and wall-banging, even hard and "1999 mode" only served to slow the game down. One nice addition were the sky-lines which managed to add a little bit of novelty and speed to the combat. Yet the game also managed to add absolutely nothing to the franchise in terms of player decisions or consequence of action, something which it lauded itself on upon launch. My final, and perhaps greatest, complaint comes from the game's lack of immersion and interesting lore, there was simply no universe in which Colombia existed. Every enemy only exists as a different thing to shoot at, none of the advanced goons have any real reason to be in Colombia (with the exception of perhaps the patriot) and are never fully explained within the universe. Elizabeth's powers grow and shrink, expand and contract only as the game requires and the gameplay and plot potential of her tares goes completely ignored. Overall this game is one of the worst I have ever played and a stain upon the honor of one of my favorite franchises. I truly hope 2K and its affiliates aren't blinded by all the praise this game has managed to acquire as it could very well lead to the stagnation and death of a great franchise.
  93. Aug 8, 2013
    Few games can be as engaging and imaginative. Bioshock Infinite's setting is unmatched as far as world building is concerned. The story and characters are diverse and allegorical. The gameplay is fun and innovative. I laughed, I cried and I kept thinking about this game long after the credits rolled. A must buy.
  94. Aug 8, 2013
    This bioshock is ten times better than the overrated original. It is actually a fun shooter with more fluid controls and a great story with a huge twist that you won't want to miss. Although I enjoyed it very much it isn't as amazing as most say and if you don't care too much about story or characters then I can name ten shooters way better. Overall a good game.
  95. Aug 19, 2013
    Definitely one of the best games put there for PS3. I've never played Bioshock 1 or 2 as I thought they were to scary (sic). But I think this is just about perfect. Still, not a game for sissies but a great experience whatsoever.
    The story, the gameplay, the graphics, the weapons, everything looks, feels, and is god in this game. Although the story gets a bit difficult to keep up with
    sometimes it is still a great story that is so deep and interesting. Add to that the (now famous) Elizabeth who enchants this game so much that I simply can't imagine any game getting this close to a perfect companion ever! You simply can't help but admire her and all I wanted was to get to know more of her story!
    This game definitely deserves a spot in the hall of fame, 'cause it's simply just GOOD!
  96. Aug 18, 2013
    I loved this game, it confused me at the best of times but thats whats the best part of this game, its an amazing shooter that ties in amazingly to an ending that makes you sit and think, my nitpick would be around a bit of repetitive scenery, but thats all. Its like the first one and not like the first one in so many ways, the ending is one thats unforgettable and makes you think back through your journey to tie in small things that had such a big impact in the end.

its a fantastic story, a fantastic game and well worth buying.
  97. Sep 16, 2013
    This game was definitely interesting. To start, I will say that this is the first Bioshock game I played in the series, and I have since played 1 and most of 2, and for the first impressions of the series, it does some things unbelievably well, but falls short in just a few areas that I find personally annoying.

This is one of the best stories I have ever seen in an arena-style shooter,
    one that blows away the story of the first 2. Throughout the game, you will come across many memorable moments that may seem completely detached from other parts of the story, but the ending ties all of these weird scenes together. I will not spoil it, because if you have not played it, you will not see the ending coming. It's an idea that is so out-there that I am very surprised that developers have found a way to implement it into a video game.

The things that bothered me about this game was the gameplay, and how it seemed repetitive. There is not much, in terms of gameplay, that would separate it from other arena-style shooters such as Quake or Unreal Tournament. There are vigors, which are similar to plasmids in the first 2 games, but these seem less effective in this game, and so it just becomes a generic shooter at times. Also the end "boss", if you can call it that, was extremely frustrating, and seemed like an unnecessary spike in difficulty right before the epic ending. If they had found a way to prevent these monotonous sections of shooting and the bs end "boss", this game would have easily been a 10/10.
  98. Jan 18, 2014
    Fun, and awesome.
    The story was at most pretty good and without giving away spoilers: It gets CRAZY, the PS move support felt more like playing CoD on Wii, and there were some frame rate drops, if you are a PS Plus member, luckily this is free until a certain time.
    Still I would highly recommend this.
  99. Sep 9, 2013
    The game is a beautiful world to discover and explore and amazing graphics but they needed more likeable side characters and little more back story for Comstock, Elizabeth and booker but it is an awesome game

1. May 27, 2013
    In an infinite universe, anything can happen, but in Infinite's, the specifics are what get you.
  2. Apr 23, 2013
    One of those rare games that speaks to the player on a personal, emotional level with a thought-provoking, mature storyline set in one of the most amazing worlds conceived in a game. Plus, it's a wonderful FPS with deep, tactical combat. Essential. [Issue#230, p.66]
  3. Multiple dimensions and a clever scenario with a surprise around every corner make it difficult for us to explain our enthusiasm without spoiling the story. Only the extended ghost chase (literally) halfway through the game drags on a bit too long. [April 2013, p.74]