6.2

1. Mar 14, 2012
    I now have gotten around to my feelings on this game, after a year and a third of playing it. At first, I thought this game was crap, with a very inconsistent hitmark system and very ridiculous kills. Now, however, after playing MW3, I think that both myself and a lot of other players are Back In Black. The is confusing at first, as it is a series of flashbacks. After playing it a fewI now have gotten around to my feelings on this game, after a year and a third of playing it. At first, I thought this game was crap, with a very inconsistent hitmark system and very ridiculous kills. Now, however, after playing MW3, I think that both myself and a lot of other players are Back In Black. The is confusing at first, as it is a series of flashbacks. After playing it a few times, though, I get the gist of it, although it still sucks. Zombies is not my cup of tea unless I'm with friends, as it requires a lot of communication and understanding of how to survive in the maps to actually get far and have fun, until you eventually start just talking 'bout random stuff because you're just hoarding zombies until they overwhelm you. However, Treyarch took the biggest risk in Multiplayer, with a complete overhaul of the overall system. You can buy all perks after level 4, using money you get as a tenth of your xp each game. You also use this money to buy guns you have unlocked, and like perks, all equipment, lethals, and tacticals are unlocked once you create a class. The maps give you more variety than MW2 or MW3, with an Array of different maps that have been tailored to one gun type or another. The killstreaks are much harder to get, which I love, so that you're not bombed by YET ANOTHER PREDATOR! The guns also take ever so slightly longer to kill with than the other games, which increases you're chances of living. Also, the perks are much more balanced, and Tomahawks are amazing. Overall, a great game for the money. Expand
  2. Jan 6, 2012
    While single-player is fun, the story and gameplay can get very dull and un-exciting. Multiplayer is full of game modes and weapons/equipment, but the game is filled with constant lag and occasional glitches/bugs(PS3 version). BUT, if you are looking for a game to play co op with your friends, there is always the "zombies" game mode which can keep you hooked for days. Overall, the game isWhile single-player is fun, the story and gameplay can get very dull and un-exciting. Multiplayer is full of game modes and weapons/equipment, but the game is filled with constant lag and occasional glitches/bugs(PS3 version). BUT, if you are looking for a game to play co op with your friends, there is always the "zombies" game mode which can keep you hooked for days. Overall, the game is fun, and does have its downsides, but whats worse is that the PS3 version is filled with lag and glitches in multiplayer Expand
  3. Jun 7, 2012
    I thought Black Ops was a good game. It had its multiplayer issues, which where fixed by the amazing support team at Treyarch. I find that Black Ops Multiplayer was bashed because you couldn't quickscope, which I can to an extent. The map design on Black Ops was very good. The Campaign of Black Ops was very good, it made me feel like I was in the Cold War, and I had fun playing it. Zombies is arguably the best part about Black Ops, I would have to sort of agree. Although I liked Zombies, I spent most of my time playing multiplayer and enjoying it on Black Ops.
  4. Nov 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An interesting but poorly executed and confused plot.

This is sort of like Salt (2010) the game. There's brainwashing and Russians, and there's shooting. Other than that it's pretty much same ol' Call Of Duty.

Treyarch games lack the cinematic pull of Infinity Ward Call Of Duty games, and the immersion is generally a little bit looser. However gameplay wasn't much of an issue of the game. You run and shoot. You cover and heal. Nothing's changed since Modern Warfare.

The biggest pull of Call Of Duty Sequels is graphics enhancement - which stopped after Modern Warfare 2, multiplayer and campaign.
    The multiplayer is as hectic and explosive as always. The only thing that changes is crazier perks, more unrealistic weapons, and more cluttered menus.
    The campaign is generally decent for a playthrough, but after that you don't have a lot of incentive to replay. That's a true today as it was on release.

The best thing about Black Ops is the idea of the plot, it could've been something remotely exciting, there are twists that are too predictable, and somewhat confusing in execution.
    unfortunately the way it's done, it's just a forgettable mess. None of the level design is particularly memorable. the AI is the same as always, as is the graphic detail.

The only notable thing about this game is the fact that it has game modes such as Gun Game which existed in previous versions of Call Of Duty, but were subsequently ripped out.

You can buy this game for a few bucks online now, so it's worth paying that for a single playthrough and a few online games of zombies and Gun Game. Otherwise it's over-saturation with nothing remarkable to note.
  5. Jan 21, 2012
    Black ops is a perfect mix with succesful content from previous COD.

Campaign: Short but its know for some people!! a little 6 hours and played this gam out!!! But this is perfect for trophy hunters short campaign with lots of trophies!!!!!!!! Zombies: just as the WAW version is pro , but now with nicer gfx cooler weapons and much more makes it more awesome!!!! Warning:(its very addict
    Black ops is a perfect mix with succesful content from previous COD.

Warning:(its very addict able)

Multiplayer: is like COD MW2 its awesome but it seems to be copied!!!! everything looks just as MW2
  6. Mar 14, 2012
    Call Of Duty Black Ops is a great and compelling game, It really brought me into the singleplayer, at the moment I am at a really game turning point and I can't wait to get home and continue. The zombies CO-OP is back and better than ever with new maps, perks, guns, zombie AI and character scripts, it has been improved greatly from WAW and will always live on. Multiplayer has the be theCall Of Duty Black Ops is a great and compelling game, It really brought me into the singleplayer, at the moment I am at a really game turning point and I can't wait to get home and continue. The zombies CO-OP is back and better than ever with new maps, perks, guns, zombie AI and character scripts, it has been improved greatly from WAW and will always live on. Multiplayer has the be the most realistic I have ever seen, thank god for ridiculously overpowered perks that MW2 brought brought in and noobtubers have also been delt with plus the F****** quickscoping is also gone, I don't mind the currency thing either. Overall a great game and I would recommend it to all. Expand
  7. Jan 30, 2012
    While I did not enjoy this game as much as Modern Warfare 2, I feel compelled to write a review after playing Modern Warfare 3. Yes, Black Ops has its flaws, but after playing Modern Warfare 3's multiplayer I wish I would have saved my money and kept Black Ops. It took all of the good parts of World at War and Modern Warfare 2 and melted them together into an exciting multiplayer. TheWhile I did not enjoy this game as much as Modern Warfare 2, I feel compelled to write a review after playing Modern Warfare 3. Yes, Black Ops has its flaws, but after playing Modern Warfare 3's multiplayer I wish I would have saved my money and kept Black Ops. It took all of the good parts of World at War and Modern Warfare 2 and melted them together into an exciting multiplayer. The theater feature is pretty cool, and its actually functional, unlike Modern Warfare 3. If you own this game and are thinking about trading up to Modern Warfare 3, don't make the same mistake as me. Keep Black Ops and you'll enjoy it much more. Expand
  8. Feb 24, 2012
    Hi it's TheGamingStar here and just to tell you a review about this CoD game in the franchise by treyarch. This Call of Duty has a great game mode ZOMBIES!!! The lack of IW was crap cause IW is better then treyarch. The Multiplayer in this game lacked and so did the Campaign. The game had better killstreaks then some of the others like Attack Dogs and RC-XDs which were really great.
  9. Mar 14, 2012
    black ops was overhyped and terrible. it felt like w@w and mw2 combined, and basically no new features except new guns and graphics. the campaign was absolutely SHOCKING! CoD is starting to go downhill... BATTLEFIELD FTW
  10. Mar 17, 2012
    I don't understand why Black Ops is getting so much hate. I mean, sure, this game is in no way perfect, but it definitely does not deserve to be called the worst Call of Duty game ever, as that award goes to MW2 (IMO).

The campaign in this game, I felt, was really solid. This is probably the only time I actually felt some paramount of care for the characters in the game, I also felt the twists in it were very very good. The whole Numbers Station part of this game was very intriguing and sent me clicking away on the internet just to find more about them. The missions themselves were sometimes grading, yeah, but they're still very solid, missions, especially the ones with long stealth segments. Also, I really like this campaign because Reznov returned. I just cannot get enough Reznov in my Call of Duty. He is simply one of the most uber characters in any Call of Duty game, and having him in the game made it about 20x better in my eyes.

As for the Zombies... it's Zombies. Nothing more really needs to be said, other than the maps were improved, the weapons were improved, and the overall feel of Zombies were improved. Very solid game mode.

And now the Multiplayer... this is the place where most of the hate spawns from, and I can understand why. Now, by no means is the Multiplayer bad. I mean, come on, it can't get any worse than MW2, but the lag issues, some of the OP weapons, like the FAMAS and the AK74-u, and a lot of the more nitpicky stuff like Ghost does by no means drag the Multiplayer down to being MW2 bad. It still retains the fun factor that World At War had, despite the lag issues. But still, it is one of the weaker Multiplayer modes, so don't jump in to Black Ops expecting the awesomeness that was MW1 or World At War in your multiplayer.

All in all, the game is very solid overall, but the Multiplayer drags it down to a seven. Good show, Treyarch.
  11. Apr 14, 2012
    Black Ops was and still is the most unique Call of Duty title since COD 4. This game brought quite a few fresh ideas to the table. Combat training and player customization were great additions to the multiplayer experience. That being said I found the multiplayer experience to be rather stale in this game. Patches made the game pretty balanced but that didn't take away the fact thatBlack Ops was and still is the most unique Call of Duty title since COD 4. This game brought quite a few fresh ideas to the table. Combat training and player customization were great additions to the multiplayer experience. That being said I found the multiplayer experience to be rather stale in this game. Patches made the game pretty balanced but that didn't take away the fact that this game was lacking some of the pizazz of past titles. Many of the maps were boring and dull. Zombies made this game for me and the DLC only made that better. Being able to play with three other buddies makes for a whole lot of fun. The campaign was fun and rather fresh for a COD title and an FPS in general. This game is worth a rental at least. Expand
  12. Mar 28, 2012
    The reason I bought this game because of my brother begged me . I'm not big fan of either COD or BF series . I rate this 5 because of zombies and campaign story . The Black Ops isn't what I want to play , I'm not type of person who loves multiplayer ; however , I simply enjoy play zombies and campaign story . The AV cord of graphics are terrible qualify - for people , who can't affordThe reason I bought this game because of my brother begged me . I'm not big fan of either COD or BF series . I rate this 5 because of zombies and campaign story . The Black Ops isn't what I want to play , I'm not type of person who loves multiplayer ; however , I simply enjoy play zombies and campaign story . The AV cord of graphics are terrible qualify - for people , who can't afford HDMI cords or HD TVs (that's obvious , AV cable cord isn't HD qualify) , but I would like to see nice and fine qualify , not chunky graphics . Expand
  13. Aug 21, 2012
    Black Ops has a great campaign with a realistic plot this time around (MW2, we're looking at you). The Multiplayer is addicting and fun, as always, and it packs a new game mode, wager match.
  14. Dec 26, 2012
    This is really weak. I guess all who rated this game above a 6, gave it that rating only because of the Zombies mode. I however would like to look at the entire game and the price that the game is at. First of all I'd like to say something about the campaign. The camp in Call Of Duty: Black Ops is amazingly boring. It is a lot worse that any other game in the series, and this is a seriesThis is really weak. I guess all who rated this game above a 6, gave it that rating only because of the Zombies mode. I however would like to look at the entire game and the price that the game is at. First of all I'd like to say something about the campaign. The camp in Call Of Duty: Black Ops is amazingly boring. It is a lot worse that any other game in the series, and this is a series that focuses more on multiplayer. Not one character in this game is memorable, all guns seem pretty much the same, and all maps have either a very dark, yet remarkably dull appearance, or a lighthearted and empty appearance. When it comes to the multiplayer, I think Infinity Ward should have been brought back to do this. They did a good job with map design in MW2 and I can mention at least five maps I enjoyed playing in it. In Black Ops however, there are few memorable maps. The two only maps that are actually fun to play at are Nuketown and Firing Range. Weapons in this game is no improvement either. There is a very small selection of secondary weapons and the only ones worth using are the CZ75, RPG and the Crossbow. Although I can understand that they removed shotguns as secondaries, it does make having a secondary weapon seem a bit like a waste. Out of all the primary weapons I could only find three I cared to use, as those three were the only ones that actually made sense to use: Spectre, L96A1 and AUG. Shotguns are really bad when facing many enemies, and they should be fully automatic if they were to be useful. Light Machine guns are going to get you killed. They are hard to aim with and takes forever to reload with. If you were so unlucky as to meet an enemy while reloading, you have to knife the enemy and begin the process over again. Even with Sleight of Hand, this is a bother. Most Snipers are really weak, and will not kill your enemy in one shot (unless shot in the head), that, combined with the very small maps in this game, makes a game that should be fast-paced, very slow. Finally the Zombies mode. To sum this one up quite quickly I'd just like to say this: If you like Zombies, you do. If you don't, you don't. It's that easy. IF possible, don't waste your money on this unless you are an absolute addict and you love Zombies. Go for MW2 or Black Ops 2 instead. Expand
  15. May 10, 2012
    Not the best COD. Multiplayer is very disappointing with bad maps and terrible weapons. But I only got it for ZOMBIE!
  16. Mar 2, 2014
    Cliff notes for people that don't want to hear the same old "OMG COD IS THE SAME GAME EVERY YEAR WAH WAH" ****

The Good: Engrossing, suspenseful campaign. Good graphics for its time. Great gun balance and variety for the most part. Zombie mode is fun with friends. First time with theatre mode. Creating your own emblem is far superior than MW series. The Bad: Pistols are pathetically

The Bad: Pistols are pathetically weak. Red dot and holographic sights are cloudy (wtf? they're supposed to make aiming easier). Frame rate choppy at times, which is a trade off for the slightly better graphics. Theatre mode may be part of the reason why the game is glitchy.

Overall: Single player was amazing. A little more polish to multiplayer and this game would've been a masterpiece.
  17. May 27, 2012
    One of the greatest games I have ever played. Works flawlessly on my PS3. Graphics are great, co-op zombies gave me hundreds of hours of epic lol's and good times!
  18. Nov 28, 2012
    Great game! I was hesitant when I learned Black Ops was set in the 70s or 80s but I was pleasantly surprised. There is a nice variety of maps, all of which are very nicely designed. The guns are noticeably different in how they handle, and there are some new kill streaks that are fun and can be very rewarding. I would put this game on par with MW2, though they are both very different games.
  19. Jan 13, 2013
    The only thing that really keeps this from going any lower is that it has split-screen multiplayer. Meaning its fun to get a bunch of mates round, create your best loadouts and go ape **** on a bunch of AIs. The single player here consists of walking down corridors and streets shooting foreigners as the charge towards. Its bland and deserves not to be included in the game. Zombies andThe only thing that really keeps this from going any lower is that it has split-screen multiplayer. Meaning its fun to get a bunch of mates round, create your best loadouts and go ape **** on a bunch of AIs. The single player here consists of walking down corridors and streets shooting foreigners as the charge towards. Its bland and deserves not to be included in the game. Zombies and multiplayer are both satisfying. But lack the innovation other games have. Expand
  20. Jul 11, 2012
    Huge let down. Exaggeratted. Graphics are not impressing. Multiplayer is fine, but campaign SUUUUUUUUUCKS. The story is completely STUPID. If there is one thing that rescued the game then its the Zombies, which is pretty fun. thats why i will put 5/10. if there were no zombies, i would've gave it a 2/10
  21. Aug 1, 2012
    A solid game that does not deserve nearly as much praise that it gets from critics. If you have played any cod after cod 4 you have played them all. It's time for trearch and infinity ward to stop milking the cash cow and create something fresh.
  22. Aug 17, 2012
    Black Ops haves an addictive multiplayer, and a memorable story mode. Zombies is a blast fun that you will have, but the problem is the unimpressive graphics and glitches. Overall, the game is worth buying, and, for sure, I recommend for everyone, especially for the fast paced gamers. 85 out of 100.
  23. Aug 17, 2012
    A great Fps game, it's exactly what you expected it to be , just another COD, and granted that's all it is.. Except a few more features, different maps etc.. The visuals are great, the sound track is great too, the sound is definitely a big, being able to hear where gun shots come from through surround sound or headphones really immerses you into the game.. Zombies is what really did itA great Fps game, it's exactly what you expected it to be , just another COD, and granted that's all it is.. Except a few more features, different maps etc.. The visuals are great, the sound track is great too, the sound is definitely a big, being able to hear where gun shots come from through surround sound or headphones really immerses you into the game.. Zombies is what really did it for me, buying a new DLC every month was a bit much, but there is so much fun to be had killing zombies online with strangers, yelling and arguing, beating your friends kill count 100x, being called a noob by a 10 year old, many hours of entertainment there.. Expand
  24. Mar 25, 2013
    10-Presentation; The story is the best in the series, and the menu's are well laid out as always.
    10-Graphics; Everything looks excellent.
    10-Sound; Everything sounds excellent
    9-Game play; AI is still a little dumb, but everything else is excellent.
    10-Lasting value; There's tons to unlock, and it will take you forever to do so.
    Overall-10/10
  25. Oct 11, 2012
    It's good, okay. OKAY? Are you happy? I'm admitting it, it's good. I used to rag on COD gamers for the absolutely low quality of story and gaming that their games provide. Campaigns that were almost silly in nature, almost obsessive amounts of high-tech military ordinance, and some of the most obnoxious gamers on the planet. Then I finally picked it up. OKAY, alright, it's good. Are youIt's good, okay. OKAY? Are you happy? I'm admitting it, it's good. I used to rag on COD gamers for the absolutely low quality of story and gaming that their games provide. Campaigns that were almost silly in nature, almost obsessive amounts of high-tech military ordinance, and some of the most obnoxious gamers on the planet. Then I finally picked it up. OKAY, alright, it's good. Are you done making fun of me? Don't get me wrong - most of what I've already mentioned applies. The campaign of Black Ops - while intriguing - is really dumbly written, and a bore, exploring uninteresting hypothetical conspiracy theories that have been gone over ten-thousand times before. Furthermore, there are no "black ops" in Black Ops. the term itself, black ops, harkens to devious military operations performed in secret. Something about an all-out helicopter assault on a battleship in the Gulf of Mexico doesn't strike me as very secretive, nor does blasting out the Vietcong with The Rolling Stones blaring from your in-chopper headsets. Yes, I am being serious - that is how ridiculously cliché Black Ops manages to reach. However, the game is very polished, the sound is very good - as to be expected. But the appeal is absolutely the online multiplayer. As said, yes, it brings out some of the lowest of the low from all walks of life to the same table to combat each other. You'll spend much of your time listening to people name-call and teabag each other. Does this lower the quality of the multiplayer? Absolutely not. As much as it dreads me to admit, Black Ops has undoubtedly some of the most competitive multiplayer experience offered in any game on the market to date, far usurping the competitiveness seen in the Halo franchise. The ranking and prestige system is very well designed, customization features allow for very different and varied gameplay, everything is fast paced and competitive, and it can constantly draw you back for a match or two. It's good. And I'm done complimenting Black Ops. RAGH, damn you EA. You won me over. Now quit being so **** Expand
  26. Sep 17, 2012
    I own this game on both 360 and PS3 and the of course PS3 version has lag and frame rate issues. Other than that the campaign good twice (for veteran). Zombies is probably the reason to buy this (along with the DLC). and MP is solid.
  27. Oct 14, 2012
    The campaign is great. The storyline setting in the cold war is awesome and i can't say anymore because i don't wan't to be a spoiler. the multiplayer is rock solid and the contracts system is great. Nothing wrong with this one...
  28. Nov 1, 2012
    If I could rate the Zombies too I would give this game a 9...the zombies were an amazing fun addition and could be a game on their own! Bops as its know is by far the best COD game ever developed...MW3 was not my style at all.
  29. Dec 28, 2012
    This was the first mediocre CoD game introduced to the franchise for me. It barely changes a thing from MW2, and the game just looked and felt terrible. I grew to like the game a little more as I progressed, especially with the improved and interesting Zombies mode, but it was still just an average game with many flaws for me. The weapons were really lazily created by the developers, withThis was the first mediocre CoD game introduced to the franchise for me. It barely changes a thing from MW2, and the game just looked and felt terrible. I grew to like the game a little more as I progressed, especially with the improved and interesting Zombies mode, but it was still just an average game with many flaws for me. The weapons were really lazily created by the developers, with a lot of 'clone' weapons of just copy/pasted statistics but with a different skin. Famas was also overpowered beyond proportion. The technical optimization on this game was also executed horribly. They did fix quite a few problems with previous games in the series though, so I'll give them a point for that. But then again, they've just spawned some entirely new problems of its own. Overall, a 'meh' game with a few extra selling points, but still nowhere up to the standard of previous instalments in the series. Disappointment. Expand
  30. Aug 2, 2013
    Call of Duty: Black Ops 8/10..........................................................................................................................
  31. Nov 14, 2012
    One of the worst shooters I have ever played. The game feels so old now and just boring as hell considering I have played the game in various iterations since 2007 with Modern Warfare. This game is abysmal and after reading the scores from all the gaming site and mags I realize that Activision are still playing for high reviews and milking it's customers all the way to the bank.

Don't

Don't buy this game, it's not worth your money, unless you have a simple mind and like playing the same game, year in, year out with no changes at all.
  32. Nov 21, 2012
    Treyarch finally tries to change the formula in COD. Of course you can argue COD points failed - but more importantly, COD was different for the first time in a while. There's a definite feel in Black Ops that is different from it's Predecessors. IW just made the same game with MW2 - Black Ops may not be perfect, but it's certainly a very good game, in and of itself.
  33. Nov 23, 2012
    How do I put this gently:
    -Boring campaign
    -Boring multiplayer
    -Useless killstreaks
    **** graphics
    -Guns that feel like toys
    -Cheesy voice acting
    -Crappy Community
  34. Dec 2, 2012
    Treyarch has fixed most of the problems from the previous Call of Duty games, they have removed death streaks and balanced the guns. Overall they fixed most of the negative things of the previous CODs but did not add anything new.
  35. Dec 18, 2012
    More balanced than MW2 but less impressive in terms of visuals and guns. It does boast the best campaign story seen in a cod game. Zombies are meh.
  36. Jan 3, 2013
    Call Of Duty the black ops series are the best of CoD,it has zombie mode that is much like a horror survival and the campaign it's just great,the online is a big hit and addicting as hell i can tell that much.
  37. Jan 25, 2014
    I love this game. It is one of my favourite cods and also one of my favourite fps games. This game has 3 major parts which i am going to talk and rate so please enjoy.

Campaign: 9/10. The campaign was flawless with great level design,great animations and a fantastic storyline with one of the best plot twists i have ever seen in a game. I found it to be super addicting and somewhat emotional.

Multiplayer: 7.5/10. The multiplayer was really fun to play just like any other cod but it probably has the worst connection in the series, and horrible hit detection (There have been so many times where i have been killed behind walls). If it wasnt for these realy big problems the multiplayer would be one of the best.

Zombies co/op: 10/10. Its just perfect that is all i have to say.

if you are a shooter fan or a cod fan buy this game,im telling you.
  38. Apr 28, 2014
    Story:
    I actually liked this story more than the MW story. It had mystery, drama, and a surprise twist near the ending that I never saw coming. The voice acting and dialogues were great. Treyarch even went far enough to hire Hollywood talents to do to voicing rolls. 9/10
    Gameplay: Standard Call of Duty gameplay. You shoot guys, go silent, hop into turrets and vehicles, etc. To be
    Story:

Gameplay:
    Standard Call of Duty gameplay. You shoot guys, go silent, hop into turrets and vehicles, etc. To be honest, I played the single player for the story, but Treyarch did add a new feature the community called the 'Dolphin Dive'. The Dive is still a great hit to this day. 7/10

Graphics:
    Visuals are nothing new, the facial models are average, and the world design is above average. 6/10

Sound:
    Good soundtrack, gun sounds are ok, and sound effects are average 7/10

Multiplayer:
    This multiplayer is more balanced than MW2 ever was (with the exception of the Famas and AK74u).The level cap isn't too high (level 50), Treyarch added theatre mode (like Halo), combat training (practice against bots), and wager matches (gamble C.O.D points). One innovation in Multiplayer were C.O.D points which were in-game money used to buy guns, emblems, attachments, camos, etc. I liked C.O.D points way more than the weapon levels we got now. Treyarch even improved the emblem system by letting us customize our own emblem, which was extremely fun to do. Zombies made a return from World at War, and Treyarch even improved that as well with new guns, perks and all the maps were greatly designed (including DLC maps). I liked these maps more than the Black Ops 2 ones. 10/10

Verdict:
    Call of Duty Black Ops in my opinion is the best C.O.D to have come out since C.O.D 4. Engaging single player story, balanced multiplayer, and fun zombies makes for a complete package. Verdict: 9/10
  39. Jul 30, 2013
    Black Ops is the best from Treyarch's Call of Duty that deserves high praise with even more customization and awesome new weapons such as the crossbow. RC-XD is a bit overpowered but when you become more advanced, RC-XD isn't the ideal killsteak you want to use. You can certainly get a kill with it but you get even more with other killstreaks like dogs and choppers. It's a good way forBlack Ops is the best from Treyarch's Call of Duty that deserves high praise with even more customization and awesome new weapons such as the crossbow. RC-XD is a bit overpowered but when you become more advanced, RC-XD isn't the ideal killsteak you want to use. You can certainly get a kill with it but you get even more with other killstreaks like dogs and choppers. It's a good way for newbies to get into Call of Duty and it's an awesome killstreak to use. It's much like driving a remote controlled car in real life.

Map designs are stylish that goes with the games' Cold War setting. The game still runs perfectly at 60 FPS even if the graphics isn't the best. Theatre Mode is a great addition for those who wants to post their gameplay on YouTube. You can pick out the best gameplay and record that instead of recording everything then cropping, during editing, until you get the best ones, like you would do in previous Call of Duty games, the feature as well as the video runs perfectly. You can only record about 30 seconds of the gameplay with Theatre Mode. If you want to record everything, you'll need to buy a capture card.

Wager matches is a great addition to Call of Duty's multiplayer. Currency is a bit controversial but we wouldn't have wager matches without them. Gun game is a fun mode where you start with a Python and each kill allows the player to move up one weapon tier which will grant you a new weapon. You win by getting to the last tier and kill an enemy with that weapon. You downgrade a tier when you're knifed. One in a Chamber is where you start with one bullet with a M1911 and you get one more bullet for each kill.

Sharpshooter cycles a random weapon every 45 secs, you get perks for every kill and eventually a scoring multiplier. You lose the perks when you die and you have to earn them again. Sticks and Stones is a rubbish game mode where you kill enemies with a Crossbow, Tomahawk and Ballistic Knife. If you have the skills to handle these weapons, Stick and Stones might be fun for you. Top 3 gets money and it's the best way to earn money to buy goods like weapons and attachments. Everyone else would lose money but hey, it's like gambling so don't complain. You lose some, you win some!

Dolphin Dive is unbalanced, the idea of dive to prone while still maintaining accuracy is the reason for so. Some balancing issues, connection problems and crappy game modes makes this Call of Duty not as good as Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare but it's still better than World at War. Zombies is also really fun and it's probably the best feature in Treyarch's Call of Duty. It deserves a much higher score than 6.0, which is the average score from metacritic users. If you missed out on Medal of Honor so that you can play Black Ops, you've made the right decision.
  40. Feb 9, 2013
    A very fun shooter that while feeling very similar to the modern warfare games, expands a creates a much more appealing game with a little bit more of a focus on fun rather than realism. The campaign mode is great and has a great story and the multiplayer is samey fun with some fun maps. The zombies mode is great but due to there not being an ultimate game of the year edition of the gameA very fun shooter that while feeling very similar to the modern warfare games, expands a creates a much more appealing game with a little bit more of a focus on fun rather than realism. The campaign mode is great and has a great story and the multiplayer is samey fun with some fun maps. The zombies mode is great but due to there not being an ultimate game of the year edition of the game in order to experience the full zombies game you'll have to purchase $60/£40 worth of DLC which is way too much for the amount you're getting. Expand
  41. Mar 21, 2013
    In my opinion, this is the best game in the series. I agree the graphics aren't as good as Modern Warfare, but the story in this game is much more complete and thrilling than any other CoD game out there. The voice acting is great with a top-notch cast of Sam Worthington, Gary Oldman, Ed Harris, and others. Don't let your friends tell you different. This game is worth at least taking aIn my opinion, this is the best game in the series. I agree the graphics aren't as good as Modern Warfare, but the story in this game is much more complete and thrilling than any other CoD game out there. The voice acting is great with a top-notch cast of Sam Worthington, Gary Oldman, Ed Harris, and others. Don't let your friends tell you different. This game is worth at least taking a look at if you haven't already. Expand
  42. Apr 27, 2013
    The only CoD game I've really liked. The campaign is clever, with twists and characters you begin to like. Multiplayer is very functional while still remaining fun. Zombies mode is... Probably the most fun you can have with a controller. Treyarch should be applauded.
  43. Jun 16, 2013
    After my friends told me to get it to play online with them I decided to get my first Call of Duty game. Lets start with the story. The story is definitely at least a bit confusing and without playing world at war some minor things have probably slipped past me but it is solid and you do want to know what happens. The gameplay is extremely generic, standard FPS with a good selection oofAfter my friends told me to get it to play online with them I decided to get my first Call of Duty game. Lets start with the story. The story is definitely at least a bit confusing and without playing world at war some minor things have probably slipped past me but it is solid and you do want to know what happens. The gameplay is extremely generic, standard FPS with a good selection oof guns and some action set pieces to add some flavour. TThe multiplayer modes are where you can have the most fun with fun game modes and an addictive levelling system but I don't know how some people are able t prestige so many times without getting tired of it. Zombies is a fun game mode that's best enjoyed with friends. Overall a good game thats not revolutionary in any way but still pretty fun for a little while Expand
  44. ERB
    Feb 1, 2014
    Call Of Duty Black Ops is no doubt one of the best Call Of Duty Games ever made.I should admit the single player campaign has a good story but it lacks time.I mean the single player campaign is so short that it really disappointed me.Well the graphics and environments in this game looks cool and beautiful.The multiplayer once again showed us why Call Of Duty is one of the best multiplayerCall Of Duty Black Ops is no doubt one of the best Call Of Duty Games ever made.I should admit the single player campaign has a good story but it lacks time.I mean the single player campaign is so short that it really disappointed me.Well the graphics and environments in this game looks cool and beautiful.The multiplayer once again showed us why Call Of Duty is one of the best multiplayer games of all time.It is addicting and fun.That is why I recommend you guys to buy this game and play it now. Expand
  45. May 16, 2013
    the best cod ever no cod will beat it sorry infinity ward
  46. Jun 8, 2013
    Not bad, but I think they could've done better with this one. The story is okay, but I didn't care for it. The graphics are pretty good at least. Multiplayer is decent, but I question the 'class selection' in this game; in game currency only works in GTA, not much in CoD MP. I do give props to Treyarch for being original with this game, but I still think IW makes better CoD games than them.
  47. Dec 6, 2014
    A fresh Call of Duty environment makes for more first person shooter glory in both single and multiplayer. The new zombies mode is a blockbuster hit and will surely return. It breaths fresh life into a series that undoubtedly deserves more entries.
  48. Jun 6, 2013
    I think the first Black Ops is the only Call of Duty that I really liked, I thought it was damn solid in all it's three modes. But keep in mind I still haven't played the original Modern Warfare. Since the game is based around three distinctive modes I'll divide them up.

Campaign: Something that I think is not appreciated enough about this game is it's excellently written story, I

Campaign:
    Something that I think is not appreciated enough about this game is it's excellently written story, I thought it was a very good story and the twists and turns were great. I think it would translate nicely to a movie due to it's shortness. The campaign does suffer a bit from being very linear and scripted, I will say that some scripted moments are actually quite thrilling and fun however. So I surprisingly really liked the campaign of Black Ops, shocker.

Multiplayer:
    Call of Duty is of course only known mainly for it's multiplayer, I'm not big into multiplayer games but I had a pretty good time for a while with it. I thought it was pretty well balanced and the maps were pretty varied and well designed. It is pretty satisfying to get a long kill streak as well.

Zombies:
    I was never very good at the zombies mode in Black Ops, but when I played it with friends it's such a blast. The maps are giant and filled with things to do and unlock. It's over the top and that's why it's so good.
  49. Aug 17, 2013
    Especially with new features such as the excellent theatre mode, Black Ops is great fun for any first-person shooter fan. There are, however, noticeable technical problems that hinder the game from being a truly astounding sequel...
  50. Aug 17, 2013
    9.3 out of 10 (rounded off to 9).

9.3 out of 10 (rounded off to 9).

In my personal opinion, this is the best game in the Call of Duty series. After seeing the huge success of Modern Warfare, Treyarch finally decided to drop World War II and instead move on to the cold war and vietnam. With an intriguing story, an excellent expansion to the "Nazi Zombie"-lore and a huge array of additions to the multiplayer (where my favorites include: "Combat Training", "Theatre Mode", "Emblem" customization and "Wager Matches"), "Call of Duty: Black Ops" carries an improvement to the Call of Duty series not seen since "Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare".

Some people may think that the story can be confusing at times (which I can agree on) and that it is yet another re-hash of the Call of Duty series, but I have found myself happily throwing many hours into "Call of Duty: Black Ops", and if you're a fan of first person shooters, I'm sure you will too.
  51. Sep 15, 2013
    black ops is one of the best cod game in my opinion but it has some bugs and minor problems the zombie mode has 6+ maps and the old ones from world at war Black ops is an unforgettable fps game with minor problems
  52. Sep 27, 2013
    let me start off by saying this game has a decent story mode, like MW2 it seems things happen in this game just because they can. The zombies mode is good but gets really boring once youve seen all the bland maps, none of them pop out at you and seem that interesting, the multiplayer is decent. This game dosint entertain me and make me care about the characters. Their is no characterlet me start off by saying this game has a decent story mode, like MW2 it seems things happen in this game just because they can. The zombies mode is good but gets really boring once youve seen all the bland maps, none of them pop out at you and seem that interesting, the multiplayer is decent. This game dosint entertain me and make me care about the characters. Their is no character developement. This is an okay game at best and should only be purchased for $10 or less. Collapse
  53. Nov 5, 2013
    Black ops was a major improvement over it's other games, the campaign's story, don't even try to say that you understand it, but for multi player, I'd say it's got some pretty creative maps, even some of the most creative in the franchise.
  54. Nov 9, 2013
    I found this game to bring nothing new to the table. Sure there were some new game modes and weapon modding and stuff like that, but in its core, it was still the same game as Modern Warfare, repackaged for the 4th time, with a new 3 hour story and chaotic multiplayer that has nothing to do with skill.
  55. Nov 19, 2013
    La verdad un juego bastante decepcionante y que deja muchísimo que desear, la saga esta claramente sobre explotada, año tras año el mismo juego, con la misma mecánica y todo igual, solo cambia un poco los escenarios y eso y ya esta, no merece la pena gastarte 75 euros por un juego sobre explotado si ya tienes el del año anterior, compralo cuando baje a 20 euros...porque si no seria tirarLa verdad un juego bastante decepcionante y que deja muchísimo que desear, la saga esta claramente sobre explotada, año tras año el mismo juego, con la misma mecánica y todo igual, solo cambia un poco los escenarios y eso y ya esta, no merece la pena gastarte 75 euros por un juego sobre explotado si ya tienes el del año anterior, compralo cuando baje a 20 euros...porque si no seria tirar el dinero. Expand
  56. Jan 3, 2014
    Black Ops entered with fresh new ideas and came out fulfilling those ideas. The multiplayer was as good as ever and felt more than a usual COD experience. Zombie went on with more maps and more attracting ideas, and the campaign may be the best in the series. The Graphics lack behind though for the standard shooter and look sloppy. Overall Treyarch made a fresh new start and made a fantastic FPS.
  57. Jan 4, 2014
    Absolutely love this game.Probably my third favorite CoD (CoD 4,MW2,BO 1).The campaign had a lot of action,but not the best.Me multiplayer is great.I love it.It has given me wonderful times
  58. Jan 18, 2014
    I wanted to really give this game a 9 because the lag and some unfairness but every call of duty game has been like that so I'm giving it a 10. This is that game for me that you remember in 10-15 years as that great times game... I'm only referring to multiplayer mind coz I don't play any campaigns. Rather than writing a book I'm just going to sum it up as the best cod in the series,I wanted to really give this game a 9 because the lag and some unfairness but every call of duty game has been like that so I'm giving it a 10. This is that game for me that you remember in 10-15 years as that great times game... I'm only referring to multiplayer mind coz I don't play any campaigns. Rather than writing a book I'm just going to sum it up as the best cod in the series, slightly slower paced a better feel to shooting and realism, graphics are the best in the cod series feels like a completely different engine to any other cod game but still keeping that similarity. Great smaller maps in majority. Score per min leaderboards to tackle campers, honestly I could go on and on but I'll leave it as that. Please make a new cod like this again.... black ops 2, mw3 and ghosts are all major dissapointments Expand
  59. Mar 19, 2014
    now before i review this i have one thing to say i like call of duty but i am not in love with it so any call of duty fans don't read this are they gone good lets get in with it now the plot i enjoyed but problems what they put in with it one why when interrogated he talks but when your playing he never says anything number 2 can we please not have this retarded enemy and alli ai letsnow before i review this i have one thing to say i like call of duty but i am not in love with it so any call of duty fans don't read this are they gone good lets get in with it now the plot i enjoyed but problems what they put in with it one why when interrogated he talks but when your playing he never says anything number 2 can we please not have this retarded enemy and alli ai lets start with enemy ai don't just hold your trigger for 30 seconds till you have to reload that supprisibliy takes longer then you and they cant even do cover i can see they foreheads and it works to kill them or they stand in the open for me to flank them and now lets talk about a lli ai they have one side conversations and when there fighting they shoot at the sky and most of them can't lip sync alright and now multi player i just have one or two problems with it there are too many perk abilities to get just if you get 4 kills what and skills are pointless and the zombie mode was good Expand
  60. Mar 29, 2014
    The whole game was fun i especially enjoyed the zombie mode and multiplayer in this game, I think that everyone should play this excellent game, the campaign was also very fun.
  61. Mar 30, 2014
    Despite some of the more impressive cut-scenes, this game misses the mark by a long shot. The "improvements" to multiplayer are overly complicated, awkward, and just terrible. The main story line rips off classic films such as "The Deer Hunter" and others, making it even less original than the previous COD games. Do not waste your time, or money on this trash.
  62. May 3, 2014
    Compared to world at war story black ops is nothing but for the brand-new zombie mode and multiplayer it's another thing.The zombie mode is the most played mode of black ops for a good reason it was the first in a call of duty game that we see zombies.Multiplayer mode is just so amazing wow.
  63. Apr 20, 2014
    people say that all cod games are the same and for the most part, they're right, same mechanics, and same kind of gameplay and what not, but its fun, so I don't mind that they're the same. the one thing that are different about the games is the campaign. black ops campaign is pretty fun. I liked certain missions a lot and others not so much, but for the most part, its pretty solid, and thepeople say that all cod games are the same and for the most part, they're right, same mechanics, and same kind of gameplay and what not, but its fun, so I don't mind that they're the same. the one thing that are different about the games is the campaign. black ops campaign is pretty fun. I liked certain missions a lot and others not so much, but for the most part, its pretty solid, and the multiplayer is fun and addictive. Repetitive, yes, but fun? also yes. its not a game where I feel that I have gained an experience from, but It is a fun game Expand
  64. May 16, 2014
    In my mind cod is the same game over and over and over just different lame storyline different maps and personalizations for multiplayer there's always hackers or Jailbreakers so that's not fair at all the MLG weapons for this game are way to hard to use and I'm MLG since world at war and now since this game is so old and ps4s release psn doesn't even care about any of it there's moreIn my mind cod is the same game over and over and over just different lame storyline different maps and personalizations for multiplayer there's always hackers or Jailbreakers so that's not fair at all the MLG weapons for this game are way to hard to use and I'm MLG since world at war and now since this game is so old and ps4s release psn doesn't even care about any of it there's more hackers in cod than there are clans in cod so that's my review again Expand
  65. May 19, 2014
    story sucks the multiplier was solid couple of nice maps but the only reason i still own this game and the only reason im giving it a 9 is because of zombies
  66. Aug 9, 2014
    "Black Ops" succeeds by it's powerful plot, over the top action, and a gritty, gruesome, more realistic vision of war then we have seen from the Call of Duty franchise. It lacks in Multiplayer originality, and its Zombies mode is boring compared to its sequel, "Black Ops 2", which came out two years after this was released. It's still a great experience, and it takes us where no Call of"Black Ops" succeeds by it's powerful plot, over the top action, and a gritty, gruesome, more realistic vision of war then we have seen from the Call of Duty franchise. It lacks in Multiplayer originality, and its Zombies mode is boring compared to its sequel, "Black Ops 2", which came out two years after this was released. It's still a great experience, and it takes us where no Call of Duty had--or has--taken us: the Cold War era. The characters are convincing, and the action is noisy and non-stop, which is all we can ask from Call of Duty. Expand
  67. Sep 23, 2014
    Enjoyable enough experience, but nothing new to grab your attention. Addictive sure, but far too familiar to the same Call of Duty you've played before.
  68. Sep 6, 2014
    I really loved this game, The guns where great, The story was good and The graphics where fair enough for when this game was made! Much better than ghosts.
  69. Dec 11, 2014
    Best call of duty game EVER. Too bad that ghosts and advanced warfare have killed this series. Advanced Warfare is soooo bad that I actually took the game back in two weeks, and I have played regularly since MW2. I even do gamebattles...or did...since bo2. The long time question of what game will be the cod killer has been answered. Advanced Warfare is the cod killer
  70. Sep 27, 2013

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops still represents one hell of a hefty package. It's bursting with hundreds of hours of entertainment that caters to every conceivable configuration of gamer out there, be they an adversarial gamer, a co-op connoisseur or a staunch offline soloist. [January 2011 p60]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!