6.2

1. Jan 4, 2011
    This game is pathetic. The campaign is OK at best. Treyarchs idea of 'difficulty' is using cheap tactics. In World at War it was the enemies constant use of grenades. In Black Ops it's enemies that spawn infinitely. The Multiplayer doesn't fare much better either. Most of the time you will be knifed by an enemy who isn't even facing you. 98% of the community use either the FAMAS or theThis game is pathetic. The campaign is OK at best. Treyarchs idea of 'difficulty' is using cheap tactics. In World at War it was the enemies constant use of grenades. In Black Ops it's enemies that spawn infinitely. The Multiplayer doesn't fare much better either. Most of the time you will be knifed by an enemy who isn't even facing you. 98% of the community use either the FAMAS or the AK74u as these are the most overpowered guns in the game.

The worst thing is - Modern Warfare 2 outclasses this game. And i'm not exaggerating. Modern Warfare 2 has it's flaws but they're a lot more bearable than the ones Treyarch have left in their terrible game. I hope Activision drop Treyarch after this abysmal attempt at what is supposed to be the biggest video game franchise in the world.
  2. Jan 19, 2011
    I must say I had great expectations for the game. However, my PS3 version just doesn't work well. It's really awful. Constant problems with frame rates, network connections, failed migrations, etc. What a disappointment. I returned to MW2 when I want to play a FPS. I bought this game almost exclusively for the multiplayer.
  3. Mar 3, 2011
    Simply put, it is one of the most unbalanced and poorly constructed games on the market today, but it also happens to be very addicting. Unfortunately that means that there's going to be more like it in the future.
  4. Jan 18, 2011
    I'm one of many West/Zampella Infinity Ward geeks that was disappointed with Activision's handling of the IW situation last year. Moreover, I've always felt kind of burned by Treyarch's COD: World at War and it's not hard to see why so many consider Treyarch's COD offerings as a sideshow to IW's landmark releases. I originally decided to skip Black Ops but changed my mind a few weeks agoI'm one of many West/Zampella Infinity Ward geeks that was disappointed with Activision's handling of the IW situation last year. Moreover, I've always felt kind of burned by Treyarch's COD: World at War and it's not hard to see why so many consider Treyarch's COD offerings as a sideshow to IW's landmark releases. I originally decided to skip Black Ops but changed my mind a few weeks ago when I saw Mythbusters videos of COD:BO on YouTube. COD:BO's single player campaign, while considerably superior to World at War's terrible single player, is still no where near the level of the old IW's "thrill ride" design philosophy. It's basically serviceable and you will enjoy it for what it is. Forgettable characters, absurd plot, good action. The multiplayer is COD:BO's true strength. It seems that Treyarch's mission was to improve from Modern Warfare's online multiplayer and the end result is quite satisfying. Frustrating aspects of Modern Warfare's over-the-top mulitplayer experience have been toned down or removed, leaving a clean and satisfying taste. No one will say that COD:BO pioneers anything in the genre, I'm afraid we'll have to wait for Respawn of Bungie's next offering. However, Treyarch's come a LONG way and this game deserves success. Well done, Treyarch. Expand
  5. Dec 20, 2010
    This game is a step up from Modern Warfare 2, but that's not saying much.

This game is a step up from Modern Warfare 2, but that's not saying much.

First of all, the campaign mode. I played on veteran difficulty and it is no less frustrating here than any other Call of Duty game. You die from two bullets, three if you're lucky. Every enemy targets you and completely ignores your AI friends. But that is to be expected. The story of the campaign is confusing to say the least. It is more a psychological action/thriller type thing rather than a shooter. At the end of the game I only vaguely knew what was going on.

Zombies is quite good. I have nothing to say about that. It's pretty enjoyable.

Multiplayer is a step up from Modern Warfare 2 in some ways, a step down in others. First I'll say what is better. Killstreaks don't add to each other anymore, so there are much less chopper gunners around. Noob tubes are much fewer. You no longer need to complete challenges to get attachments so there is absolutely no need to boost anymore.

Now for the bad things. The spawns in this game are terrible. You will literally spawn next to three enemies who will kill you as soon as you move. And I do mean literally. I have a clip of me spawning next to three enemies who shot me as soon as I spawned. I also have a clip of me being killed, then spawned in front of the guy who killed me with my back to him and he killed me again. You can add me on PSN derp_derp_derp and see it in my fileshare.

Also, compared to Modern Warfare 2, it takes a lot more bullets to kill someone, and if you use a silencer, you can expect to expend an entire clip to kill someone.

While on the topic of taking more bullets to kill someone, this game employs more luck than skill. You'll notice that sometimes you sneak up on someone, get the drop on them and start shooting, you'll get hitmarkers while they turn around, put two bullets in you and kill you. Sometimes I'm the victim of this, sometimes I get a kill with two bullets. So I can only say this is luck. It's entirely possible that if you start shooting your enemy and he returns fire after being shot, he'll kill you. Who shoots first is not an issue in this game. It is almost all luck.

As for perks, they're fairly good, though most people will go through games without getting the pro versions. I'm almost prestige and I have maybe 4 pro perks. There is a big problem with getting pro perks. I agree with these challenges because they encourage lots of different activities, however, some of them depend on others instead of you. For example, getting flak jacket pro requires you to throw back 5 grenades. The problem with that is you depend on others using frags, which is hard because everyone uses semtex. Also for Ghost pro you need to destroy a sentry gun, which is also hard because sentry gun is one of the least used killstreaks.

Finally, sniping is totally worthless now. So are shotguns. All I have to say is, this game is a step up from Modern Warfare 2, but not by much. The only people who I think should buy this game are people who are experts/professionals at shooters, not the average gamer like me, someone who is very very lucky, or someone who enjoys being frustrated. If you fit one or more of the above descriptions, then get this game, otherwise, rent it or skip it.
  6. Jan 21, 2011
    This game, simply put, isn't worth the money. If you have MW2, keep it, you'll be playing it soon. I have seen so many glitches it's unbelievable... I once watched a replay of me sneaking up on someone shooting him, having him turn around and shoot me in the foot and i died... thats quite the game... As for the single player... its mediocre at best... easily passable. The maps are bad...This game, simply put, isn't worth the money. If you have MW2, keep it, you'll be playing it soon. I have seen so many glitches it's unbelievable... I once watched a replay of me sneaking up on someone shooting him, having him turn around and shoot me in the foot and i died... thats quite the game... As for the single player... its mediocre at best... easily passable. The maps are bad... you still need to level to unlock guns... where here i thought that we would be able to buy them... COD points are basically useless, a pointless mechanic added to the game. Most of the guns are crap compared to the ones you unlock later. For example, the AK47 and the Commando are far superior to any other assault rifle, putting you at a great disadvantage until your level 38... of 50. The killstreaks are garbage and will get you the odd kill here and there but realistically are useless. The list goes on... save yourself the headache and $60, forget about this game and just wait for MW3... Expand
  7. Oct 27, 2011
    Minimum effort has been put into this game as the technology has been recycled from modern warfare 2. You could basically get this game as a mod on pc for modern warfare 2. It is that bad.
  8. Dec 8, 2010
    All in all, I can easily say if you're a fan of COD games then this is a good buy. To talk about the campaign, yet again the AI do not help at all like other COD games, and act really stupid. I experienced enemy soldiers passing by my fellow AIs right up to me and killing me. There at least should be some level of smartness on both sides of the battle, as it gives a more fun experience andAll in all, I can easily say if you're a fan of COD games then this is a good buy. To talk about the campaign, yet again the AI do not help at all like other COD games, and act really stupid. I experienced enemy soldiers passing by my fellow AIs right up to me and killing me. There at least should be some level of smartness on both sides of the battle, as it gives a more fun experience and does not end up in restarting the checkpoints over and over again to the point of boredom. Black Ops gives us a new environment, which gives out a good signal that the series can be versatile and the developers are willing to take risks in trying new things, which is what gamers are looking for. The return of the famous zombies mode helps in the re-playability as well. What Black Ops and other COD games lack are the actions you must take in situations throughout the campaign. It would be much more rewarding to have to do certain actions rather than just pressing "X". I'm aware this may not hinder the fun of running and gunning, but it would be good to have some of those features in the game since COD games have shown they have the potential to engage in more controllability in the action. Multi player is as exciting as it should be, and the currency system makes it easier for players to buy weapons much faster than actually waiting to level up. The multi player also adds more strategy on top of MW2 items and perks, allowing players to have more options in their load outs. In conclusion, Black Ops is a must have for fans of the series, but I still feel there has to be the extra edge that Bad Company provided at times such as destruction, and or more controllability. Expand
  9. Dec 17, 2010
    I used to love Call of Duty. It used to be a landmark in the genre of FPS, but in 2010, it has become so massively popular, that it's not even funny, there is an overdose of these games.

Activision has decided on the terrible marketing strategy that they would release a new CoD game every year, and while this works, this shows on the games. Black Ops is a very polished, excellently

Black Ops is a very polished, excellently crafted game. But that's about it. It feels like it's a giant retail patch for the previous CoD games, rather than a title on it's own. It has what it takes to be a good game, but it doesn't offer anything new, different , spectacular, it does the exact same thing that many other FPS can do, and could do for a while now.

And for that, I can't give it a green score, because that territory is reserved for games who beg to differ, or try the hardest to outshine their competition, with something daring that works. Yes, daring. Activision is known for pushing for financial safety with their rehashed flagship franchises. But the games achieving the most success have always been the ones who took some kind of risk, and did their best to make something new work.

And by now, the CoD fanbase has been "trained" to behave the same way, and buy the new CoD, because that's guaranteed to be quality, and they have stopped to buy unique games, because it might be a bad game.

I do not ask Treyarch, to reinvent the wheel. Just try to spice it up one way or another. Shoving in new multiplayer modes is a good idea, but that's not the entire game.It's worth a purchase if you really (REALLY) want to keep up, but there are currently more exciting choices.
  10. Dec 18, 2010
    I like the campaign in this game although it is of course very short. It was my favorite of all the COD's. The downside to this game is the multilayer which is what most everyone is playing it for. The PS3 version of this game is plagued with problems in multilayer and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. I've had problems with the multilayer matches disconnecting midway through.I like the campaign in this game although it is of course very short. It was my favorite of all the COD's. The downside to this game is the multilayer which is what most everyone is playing it for. The PS3 version of this game is plagued with problems in multilayer and it seems to be getting worse as time goes on. I've had problems with the multilayer matches disconnecting midway through. Now since the last patch (Dec.16th ?) its considerably worse. I estimate 75% of the matches I try end up disconnecting for everyone in them halfway through. It's frustrating to say the least. From looking around it seems that everyone is having trouble with the PS3 version. When this is fixed I'm sure it will be a good game but until then I would not recommend buying it. Bad Company 2 is a much better buy. Expand
  11. Dec 23, 2010
    This was a massive disappointment not as crisp as MOH with a weak story and glitch filled on-line play. end of a previously great series.........................................................................
  12. Dec 30, 2010
    Ok. After playing this game for a while, I had to write a review. COD: BO continues the popular series that started on the PC by Infinity Ward. This time, the game is made by Treyarch who made W@W and COD3. To me, BO feels more of the same. Nothing new here. There were improvements made to the online component but there are also things that came out worse. The single player isOk. After playing this game for a while, I had to write a review. COD: BO continues the popular series that started on the PC by Infinity Ward. This time, the game is made by Treyarch who made W@W and COD3. To me, BO feels more of the same. Nothing new here. There were improvements made to the online component but there are also things that came out worse. The single player is actually fun this time and has a compelling story behind it unlike MW2. The set pieces in the campaign are amazing and definitely keep you engrossed into the campaign while playing it. The improvement made to the multiplayer was that the game is now more balanced. Stopping power was removed completely among other perks that were overused in previous installments. This game makes you want to try other perks and find the best combination for you. Not to mention, the perks are also well balanced between one another and the challenges to unlock the pro versions are a welcome change as it basically forces you to try other online modes. The weapons are also more balanced. Customization options are also nice. You can customize your tags and emblems and even implement those on your weapons. Another nice addition is the COD credits. You can basically buy what you want at your hearts content. Though you have to earn them by playing multiplayer matches, doing contracts, completing challenges, or playing wager matches which I might say is a nice welcome change to the standard formula. It's nice to be able to buy any perk right off the bat and choose what weapons and attachments to buy based on your play style. Some of the new killstreaks are cool. Love driving the RC-XD around and blowing it up killing an enemy. That's pretty much all I can say about the multiplayer. What is worse this time around, is of course the graphics. I've read some of these reviews and people are saying that this game has great graphics. Are you kidding me? This game has worse graphics than MW2. There are Jaggies everywhere and bland boring textures. Not to mention there is alot of texture pop in going on. I don't know what some people are looking at but I've played many games with much better graphics than BO. Granted the COD series is not known for it's graphics. What is also worse is the framerate. Activision wants to tout COD as the smoothest FPS on the market. Well on the PS3, you have a ton of framerate drops and stutters. That's hardly smooth. There are a ton of connection issues on the PS3 version. Many times you will lose connection to hosts or have connection interrupted or even be randomly kicked from a lobby for no reason. When playing with a party, you will sometimes be kicked from that party and have to rejoin it. How could Treyarch screw this up? Better yet, they blame peoples connections and routers for the online problems yet the 360 version doesn't have such problems. Come on Treyarch. Get with it. I have not played Zombies yet to comment on it but from what I hear, it's the best component of BO which is not a good thing in my opinion. Overall, I would rate this game higher if there weren't a ton of problems with it. COD is still the most popular FPS today as shown by how much it sold but I can't help to wonder where this franchise is going to go now that Infinity Ward has basically been decimated and rebuilt into a brand new team and Activision now having a 3rd studio making COD games. One would think that people will eventually get burnt out as that is how I'm feeling right now. COD needs a facelift much like how COD4 was which introduced a fresh multiplayer experience and brand new campaign setting set in modern times. Also the graphics are showing their age. Need a new engine to keep up with the times or COD will be left in the dust by games showcasing far better visuals. If your a COD fan, then you will probably enjoy this game, however, with all the problems, it wouldn't surprise me if people go back to MW2. Expand
  13. Mar 13, 2011
    I thought this game was OK..... Then I played Killzone 3 and now ill never look at another COD game again, COD's never changed always same dull graphics with same gameplay sept in black ops they made it worse. Oh well everyone will still buy this **** game because thats all they no.
  14. Apr 11, 2011
    This Call of Duty was a real disappointment, The reason was the campaign and multi player the campaign because it was just not interesting at all, and the multi player because well it was the same thing just new maps.
  15. Jan 6, 2011
    I'm a real FPS maniac, and I'm pretty darn good at it. I played CoD MW2 for a very very long time, I loved it! When Battlefield released Bad Company 2 I bought it just to try it out and to tell people the major difference. The campaign mode OWNED, and the online mode OWNED even more after playing it a couple of times. It seemed so much more realistic than MW2. The sound of the weapons, theI'm a real FPS maniac, and I'm pretty darn good at it. I played CoD MW2 for a very very long time, I loved it! When Battlefield released Bad Company 2 I bought it just to try it out and to tell people the major difference. The campaign mode OWNED, and the online mode OWNED even more after playing it a couple of times. It seemed so much more realistic than MW2. The sound of the weapons, the graphics, everything. But after a while BLACK OPS came out on Treyarchs ordinary SOOO un-original propaganda sh!t! I bought this one too see how it was, if it's as good as the ''critics'' say it is. After playing for 1 hour I got tired, I mean, really tired. I stabbed and ran around with my weapons and I got it to my head that, there's no blood?! I mean, what is a war game without blood?

I continued playing and i did not like it, at all! Too many interruptions within the campaign mode and the creators seemed to just care about some things in the game, the interruption parts when 'Victor Reznov' was talking and that other crap. It was just too much. I've never played a game like this, when I play I play with love, I want to play the game until i clear all the missions, and I enjoy when i do that! But when I played Black Ops... I didn't want to to it, it was so crappy!

I mean, Dice does a much more better job than treyarch do, but they get no cred at all. It's all about propaganda. Yes, BO broke all the records, but they broke one more record, most dissapointed costumers EVER!

Thats just my opinion about this game, and i ought to tell you allt that BFBC2 and -Vietnam is soooooo much better than BO. So much better!
  16. Jan 6, 2011
    This Version is a joke. Modern warfare 2 was the ultimate smooth fps, this game is a lag filled nightmare disaster. The producers should Hang there heads in shame at this excuse for a call of duty sequel. I am returning my copy and buying the new battlefield. I truly felt ripped off this is such a let down
  17. Feb 8, 2011
    Black Ops in it's own right is a fun game. The story is interesting and is full of memorable (extremelly explosive) set pieces. The online is alright... probably the best part, though I couldn't get into it. They've made it less user friendly than it used to be, now managing multiple types of currency and trying to figure out what stays and what doesnt after prestiging and such. None ofBlack Ops in it's own right is a fun game. The story is interesting and is full of memorable (extremelly explosive) set pieces. The online is alright... probably the best part, though I couldn't get into it. They've made it less user friendly than it used to be, now managing multiple types of currency and trying to figure out what stays and what doesnt after prestiging and such. None of the new stuff is explained in anyway, and the amount of new stuff is so little I was having trouble telling it apart from the last few. The graphics are simply... uglier, both on and offline. Jungle settings are muddy and its hard to tell what is human and what is a rock or tree, and thats without camo. In short Black Ops was doomed from the start. Having to follow the FPS behemoth known as Modern Warfare 2 and even worse having to try and top it. It's definetelly still worth a look, and is better than alot of the other 2010 shooters (Medal of Honor comes to mind). But I ended up returning it after a week or so to get bigger better games. If your one of the 3 people who havn't tried it yet, you may be better off waiting until Infinity Ward release their next addition to the franchise. Here's hoping Treyarch just stop with call of duty and go and make another awesome spiderman game. Spiderman 2 the game is still their masterpiece as far as i'm concerned. Expand
  18. Jan 15, 2011
    MW2 is way above this one. the online is fun, specially if you play with a friend at your side against the online world, that is awesome but many game have this feature, so, black ops have nothing special. if u wanna a good FPS game, buy a MW2 and be happy ;)
  19. Jan 16, 2011
    COD: Black Ops is one of the worst shooter games that I've played in a long time. The campaign was to short and the online experience is horrible. It can take me up to 30 minutes to join a game. Battlefield Bad Company 2 just blows COD out of the water. The maps, guns, and realism in Battlefield Bad Company 2 is just phenomenal. While Cod is just pathetic.
  20. Jan 27, 2011
    This game is so cool. the multiplayer is fenomenal. the compaine can bore me but usually you are having fun. best of the cod series. guns are cool and mods are too. buy if you like a 1st person shooter.
  21. Jan 26, 2011
    Awesome game I would recommend this game to every one. AND FOR EVERY ONE HOW DOESN'T LIKE THIS GAME thats your problem but i really like this game and would give it 100 out of 100
  22. Jan 28, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Black Ops is one of my best games ever ,, 10 / 10 ,,
    Call of Duty " in general, one of the best games on (PS - DS - PC - Wii - Xbox), it's really fun game and good and contains many things that make you play with relish .. ;D ..
  23. Feb 10, 2011
    How can anyone like such an awful game. Not only is it fully of bugs but you cannot play online without entering a hacked lobby. Cheaters galore and the company who made this crap doesn't even care. They won't sort out boosters or the dreaded campers.

The game is far to rushed as they feel the need to release a new game six months after the other which is far from necessary. The story mode is terribly short and you can complete it in only a few hours.
  24. Feb 8, 2011
    This is easily the biggest disappointment in the Call of Duty series, and I feel ashamed to call it a Call of Duty game after great classics in the series such as Call of Duty 2 & Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare.

The Single-Player experience has a tacked on cliché story which would have been suitable in a low-budget 1970's movie. The game, like the recent CoD games, follows a very biased Anti-Russian theme and goes as far to portray events that did not happen in the Cold War, and in doing so makes the United States look like a typical "Good Guy". The plot is tedious, boring & uninteresting and it puts older CoD games that had a good storyline to shame.

The multiplayer is pretty much the same as World at War, but with different weapons and some new features. However, before I can get started on the features I must say that the connectivity is horrendous. If I am about to join a game once out of ten tries then I would consider myself lucky, and in the event that I actually do get into a game then it lags horribly, even though it says my connection is on 4 bars. The unlock system doesn't work properly, and it makes weapons and perks way too cheap. To be able to buy a new weapon, I need simply play 2 Team Death Matches and I can buy any gun I want with the CoD points I have earned.

The graphics are appalling compared to the latest games. The graphics of WaW were fine when it was released, but now all they did was just use WaW and the graphics are simply outdated by YEARS compared to other games such as Killzone 3.

Character movement is horrible; it has no weight to it, and feels like my character is practically weightless. This also attributes to the surprisingly slow paced gameplay which is unnatural for a CoD game. It can take me up to a minute to find a single enemy, and when I do it will take us a while to kill each other due to lag. The movement is smooth, but it just feels uncomfortable and unnatural.

The Sound Effects are absolutely horrendous. The guns sound horrible, and other sounds such as footsteps are not even in synch. When I sprint, the footstep sounds are in an irregular pattern and it sounds awful. Games from Pre-2005 had better sound effects than this game.

Gameplay overall is also very dull and boring. Basically, whoever has a better connection will win 80% of the time, while the other 20% is attributed to killstreak kills, lucky grenade throws and claymores. Also the first person to land a hit on the enemy usually wins, which is an appalling thing to have in a Modern FPS, especially with such bad connection issues.

Overall the only redeeming part is Nazi Zombies, which is entertaining when played with a group of friends but even then it can get boring really quickly.

In conclusion, I think that this game is simply a rushed CoD game made so that Activision & Treyarch could earn as much money as they can from the popularity of the CoD series while giving us very little in return. I am ashamed to call this a CoD game...
  25. Feb 27, 2011
    Modern Warfare 2 was a great achievement, to say the least. An action-packed campaign, addictive multiplayer, cool guns... How could it get any better? With Black Ops, better is exactly the case. The campaign is shorter, but might be more exciting. Multiplayer is deeper; the new wager match mode is relly fun. And zombie mode is a fun ride with 3 other buddies. Flaws are few and farModern Warfare 2 was a great achievement, to say the least. An action-packed campaign, addictive multiplayer, cool guns... How could it get any better? With Black Ops, better is exactly the case. The campaign is shorter, but might be more exciting. Multiplayer is deeper; the new wager match mode is relly fun. And zombie mode is a fun ride with 3 other buddies. Flaws are few and far between, like occasional connection problems and resolution issues. Buy it, you'll be satisfied. Expand
  26. Aug 13, 2011
    This game is the most crappy game off all time the last installment was still bearable but this is just a lousy piece of crap. Its **** **** over hyped . It doesnt deserve anything specially not worth the 50-60$
  27. Mar 5, 2011
    Overall this is a poor excuse of a game which lives off its name Call of Duty, if this game was made by a new developer it would have been slated in the reviews, but as usual the people who review games(mostly) have said this is a good game, it's not. Do not waste your money on this, people who play COD need to see that there are other games available, try KIllzone 3 work with it, get usedOverall this is a poor excuse of a game which lives off its name Call of Duty, if this game was made by a new developer it would have been slated in the reviews, but as usual the people who review games(mostly) have said this is a good game, it's not. Do not waste your money on this, people who play COD need to see that there are other games available, try KIllzone 3 work with it, get used to it and you will see that KZ3 dominates this title in every aspect, graphics, sound, weapons, gameplay, originality. Back to the drawing board Black Ops, you have failed miserably. Expand
  28. Mar 9, 2011
    This game is fricken amazing! Halo what? Metal Gear what? Call of Duty Black Ops is the greatest game ever made. The single player campaign is simply spectacular, so much so that many times I was playing I forgot that I was playing a game and thought that I was watching a Hollywood blockbuster! Every character is expressive and convincing. By the time the game is done, you will care forThis game is fricken amazing! Halo what? Metal Gear what? Call of Duty Black Ops is the greatest game ever made. The single player campaign is simply spectacular, so much so that many times I was playing I forgot that I was playing a game and thought that I was watching a Hollywood blockbuster! Every character is expressive and convincing. By the time the game is done, you will care for all of them. Reznov is the epiphany of the word badass! The multiplayer is incredibly simple, but rewardingly difficult to master. It'll suck you in and you'll get thousands of hours out of this game. Expand
  29. Apr 5, 2011
    It promised so much but failed, in short, to deliver.
    there are moments where it seems you're playing CoD5 and the basis of buying weapons and perks with points just ruins the point of unlocking them. the guns and weapons encourage camping and too often games are disconnected or lagg out.
    It promised so much but failed, in short, to deliver.
    for me, the games take about 5 minutes to join. and with only a handful of good maps the wait is not worth it.
    the zombies mode restores a little faith in the brand with some cracking tactical gameplay and genuine fun and panic at times.
  30. Mar 12, 2011
    Never have I seen such a disgrace to the video game world. There was no effort put into this game, it was planned (hardly) rushed into production, hyped-up by under the table payment, as well as rated highly (i'm looking at you IGN!). in short
    THIS GAME IS BROKEN.
    THIS GAME IS BROKEN.

Crappy entities, the world is just full of eye-candy, yet you can see the repetitiveness in the AI (as in, they all look and act the same) All I see is cruddy AI spawners to get you stuck until you move up. Scenes such as, shooting a rope at a helicopter, watching this 10 ton machine being pulled down by a rope I could cut with sscissors, and then seeing the rope disappear into thin air, makes me wonder what sick bastard oversaw this project.
  31. Mar 12, 2011
    A very great game, probably the best we've ever played! We think that Treyarch should make more COD games, no let-downs this time, just a normal action video game with story mode, multiplayer and a zombie game.
  32. Aug 24, 2011
    i thought this game was allright i did not love it and i did not hate it but first i must ask why are so many ppl addicted to this game yes it is a good game to play online and it is fun but so is bad company and medal of honor and they dont have as big of a following that cod does. now ill get onto my review as always with this kind of game you buy it for the online play any one who buysi thought this game was allright i did not love it and i did not hate it but first i must ask why are so many ppl addicted to this game yes it is a good game to play online and it is fun but so is bad company and medal of honor and they dont have as big of a following that cod does. now ill get onto my review as always with this kind of game you buy it for the online play any one who buys these games for the campaign is an idiot especially this game because i was struggling to even get through the story it was so boring i would play one mission get sick of the story then go play online or play a different game entirely but it does have a nice twist at the end which i did not see coming which is rare these days with games. the online on the otherhand is pretty good but if you are just starting to play you will get really frustrated with the skill level of everyone else and it will take you a little bit to actually get any good at this game. this game has good graphics good sounds good online play a boring story that you have to force yourself to play and i dont understand why so many people like zombies there is no point you dont level up it is just trying to survive for the sake of it there is absolutly no point. Expand
  33. Mar 16, 2011
    This game is amazing! I mean it! The campaign is the best of the series and the multi-player is awesome! Go and pick this game up RIGHT NOW! I MEAN IT! GO! NOW!
  34. Mar 25, 2011
    The animation and graphics in the campaign is average. Awful looking explosions. Awful story that did not draw me in. The sound is shallow, guns pop more than bang. Online play is horrible downgraded by any lag. This game's engine is simply not as good as MW2's. The best part of the game is playing 'zombies' with friends.
  35. Mar 30, 2011
    Black ops's multiplayer and online play is very good and fun to play. Not to mention Zombies is back and better than ever. World at War was very good but Black Ops is even better. Modern warfare 1 and 2 were such let downs. Im glad Black Ops is out to revive the series.
  36. Apr 9, 2011
    Sound design and visuals are simply bad, and there is nothing realy new here. The single player campaign is short, and you dont realy feel strongly about the characters or the storyline.
  37. Apr 20, 2011
    This is by far the worst Call of Duty to date.

I got this game on day one. Sadly after less than 1 hour of playing it came obvious that the game was over-hyped. Story line is very weak and doesn't hold up, acting is also bad but not as bad as the story.

Online playing is cool but servers and bandwidth are always full so you will find some issue joining new games.
  38. May 1, 2011
    Highly unoriginal. A LARGE waste of money considering all the games in the past that are just like it. If you have lived under a rock for 5 years and missed the games that this clones, Id give it a 6. The solo missions are neat climatically if you ignore all the blood on the screen and superhuman feats that jon Mclain would laugh at, but the gameplay is just terrible. People have beenHighly unoriginal. A LARGE waste of money considering all the games in the past that are just like it. If you have lived under a rock for 5 years and missed the games that this clones, Id give it a 6. The solo missions are neat climatically if you ignore all the blood on the screen and superhuman feats that jon Mclain would laugh at, but the gameplay is just terrible. People have been saying it for years. Then they forgive it for its decent multi player (far to fast paced and ramboish for my tastes. Do the history of gaming a favor and SKIP THIS!! Expand
  39. Jun 2, 2011
    oh goodness. where to begin. 1) the graphics were a major step back from mw2. its like if BFBC2 were over saturated. 2) it takes an entire clip to kill somebody in multiplayer and im pretty sure 3 shots should to the trick. 3) the movement is so jerky and clunky it feels like im trying to move around in a sumo suit 4) the cod points offer no sense of accomplishment. i went 3 and 20 in aoh goodness. where to begin. 1) the graphics were a major step back from mw2. its like if BFBC2 were over saturated. 2) it takes an entire clip to kill somebody in multiplayer and im pretty sure 3 shots should to the trick. 3) the movement is so jerky and clunky it feels like im trying to move around in a sumo suit 4) the cod points offer no sense of accomplishment. i went 3 and 20 in a game and still got 1500 cod points which is enough to buy a few killstreaks and weapon attachments. i loved how in mw2 you had to be good in order to get killstreaks and attachments. 5) the story line in the campaign was idiotic. the entire time i played i was thinking "this is the stupidest campaign ever" i will admit that the campaign gameplay was better than mw2, but the story was far inferior. 6) the sniping is attrocious. one shot will NEVER kill your man. i personally loved quickscoping as well, but i can see why they would take it out. but that does not make up for the lack of firepower and accuracy 7) the create an emblem idea was creative, but it turned out to be a bad creation. like my problem with codpoints, i liked having to earn my titles and emblems, it basically gave me an extra reason to play
    i absolutely hated this game, far worse than mw2 or even WAW. there were a few high points, but they were few and far between. horrible game
  40. Dec 25, 2011
    Call of Duty: Black Ops is another great entry in the classic shooter series. Let's get started.

Campaign: Modern Warfare 2 has a superior campaign, but it's still clever like the Call of Duty campaigns are. Multiplayer: It's always great, but becomes repetitive and the maps are not as good as they usualy are. But it's too addicting to say no, it's still great. Zombies: I love this,

Zombies: I love this, it's clever, updated, and I love the maps. I'd buy this game for Zombies alone.

Overall, it's another year another entry, but that IS a good thing, we always want more in this addictive series. It's quality is far higher than the horror of Private Nickels. -gags-
  41. Oct 29, 2011
    Horrible. This one's for all the CoD fangirls trying to rate down BF3...you get aHorrible. This one's for all the CoD fangirls trying to rate down BF3...you get a 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000...Just like the number of innovations MW3 will have since the last ten thousand Call of Dootie's. Expand
  42. Nov 1, 2011
    how to make your own copy of black ops: 1 reach into a trash can
    2 put it all ingredients in a cd
    3 enjoy
    this needs to be 150 characters long so hold on... done
  43. Nov 8, 2011
    While I do have fun overall with this game, the series is beginning to get stale. I'm starting to think that it is the same game repackaged with different box art and a slightly different story.
  44. Nov 17, 2011
    Simply its crap garbage and used stuff put together in a sloppy job. ..................................................................................................................
  45. Nov 30, 2011
    Black ops is just an other **** from Treyarch. When it came out i thought it would start a nuclear war. I think that black ops is more strange than flying horses. The only fun stuff in black ops is Zombies. Treyarch du just copy infinityward:s games like when they did copy black ops from modern warfare 2.
  46. Apr 16, 2012
    I thought games were supposed to be fun. What a **** mess. Still better than mw3 though. Cod is dead I have little faith in this franchise now. The only thing that saves this game for me is the campaign and zombies.
  47. Dec 22, 2011
    the campaign rocks ...................................multiplayer is good ............................zombies is addictive in the beginning but after some time its boring............................................................
  48. Dec 26, 2011
    black ops is teryachs best cod yet it destroys world at war and it beats mw2 mainly due to mw2s sorry campaign its not bad but compared to the other cods poor. anyway black ops has a fantastic campaign and zombie mode is brilliant online its about even with mw2 but brilliant grahics action and a new different great protoganist i cant wait for black ops 2 in 2012
  49. Aug 21, 2012
    Black Ops has a great campaign with a realistic plot this time around (MW2, we're looking at you). The Multiplayer is addicting and fun, as always, and it packs a new game mode, wager match.
  50. Dec 26, 2012
    This is really weak. I guess all who rated this game above a 6, gave it that rating only because of the Zombies mode. I however would like to look at the entire game and the price that the game is at. First of all I'd like to say something about the campaign. The camp in Call Of Duty: Black Ops is amazingly boring. It is a lot worse that any other game in the series, and this is a seriesThis is really weak. I guess all who rated this game above a 6, gave it that rating only because of the Zombies mode. I however would like to look at the entire game and the price that the game is at. First of all I'd like to say something about the campaign. The camp in Call Of Duty: Black Ops is amazingly boring. It is a lot worse that any other game in the series, and this is a series that focuses more on multiplayer. Not one character in this game is memorable, all guns seem pretty much the same, and all maps have either a very dark, yet remarkably dull appearance, or a lighthearted and empty appearance. When it comes to the multiplayer, I think Infinity Ward should have been brought back to do this. They did a good job with map design in MW2 and I can mention at least five maps I enjoyed playing in it. In Black Ops however, there are few memorable maps. The two only maps that are actually fun to play at are Nuketown and Firing Range. Weapons in this game is no improvement either. There is a very small selection of secondary weapons and the only ones worth using are the CZ75, RPG and the Crossbow. Although I can understand that they removed shotguns as secondaries, it does make having a secondary weapon seem a bit like a waste. Out of all the primary weapons I could only find three I cared to use, as those three were the only ones that actually made sense to use: Spectre, L96A1 and AUG. Shotguns are really bad when facing many enemies, and they should be fully automatic if they were to be useful. Light Machine guns are going to get you killed. They are hard to aim with and takes forever to reload with. If you were so unlucky as to meet an enemy while reloading, you have to knife the enemy and begin the process over again. Even with Sleight of Hand, this is a bother. Most Snipers are really weak, and will not kill your enemy in one shot (unless shot in the head), that, combined with the very small maps in this game, makes a game that should be fast-paced, very slow. Finally the Zombies mode. To sum this one up quite quickly I'd just like to say this: If you like Zombies, you do. If you don't, you don't. It's that easy. IF possible, don't waste your money on this unless you are an absolute addict and you love Zombies. Go for MW2 or Black Ops 2 instead. Expand
  51. May 27, 2012
    One of the greatest games I have ever played. Works flawlessly on my PS3. Graphics are great, co-op zombies gave me hundreds of hours of epic lol's and good times!
  52. Jan 13, 2013
    The only thing that really keeps this from going any lower is that it has split-screen multiplayer. Meaning its fun to get a bunch of mates round, create your best loadouts and go ape **** on a bunch of AIs. The single player here consists of walking down corridors and streets shooting foreigners as the charge towards. Its bland and deserves not to be included in the game. Zombies andThe only thing that really keeps this from going any lower is that it has split-screen multiplayer. Meaning its fun to get a bunch of mates round, create your best loadouts and go ape **** on a bunch of AIs. The single player here consists of walking down corridors and streets shooting foreigners as the charge towards. Its bland and deserves not to be included in the game. Zombies and multiplayer are both satisfying. But lack the innovation other games have. Expand
  53. Jul 11, 2012
    Huge let down. Exaggeratted. Graphics are not impressing. Multiplayer is fine, but campaign SUUUUUUUUUCKS. The story is completely STUPID. If there is one thing that rescued the game then its the Zombies, which is pretty fun. thats why i will put 5/10. if there were no zombies, i would've gave it a 2/10
  54. Aug 1, 2012
    A solid game that does not deserve nearly as much praise that it gets from critics. If you have played any cod after cod 4 you have played them all. It's time for trearch and infinity ward to stop milking the cash cow and create something fresh.
  55. Dec 28, 2012
    This was the first mediocre CoD game introduced to the franchise for me. It barely changes a thing from MW2, and the game just looked and felt terrible. I grew to like the game a little more as I progressed, especially with the improved and interesting Zombies mode, but it was still just an average game with many flaws for me. The weapons were really lazily created by the developers, withThis was the first mediocre CoD game introduced to the franchise for me. It barely changes a thing from MW2, and the game just looked and felt terrible. I grew to like the game a little more as I progressed, especially with the improved and interesting Zombies mode, but it was still just an average game with many flaws for me. The weapons were really lazily created by the developers, with a lot of 'clone' weapons of just copy/pasted statistics but with a different skin. Famas was also overpowered beyond proportion. The technical optimization on this game was also executed horribly. They did fix quite a few problems with previous games in the series though, so I'll give them a point for that. But then again, they've just spawned some entirely new problems of its own. Overall, a 'meh' game with a few extra selling points, but still nowhere up to the standard of previous instalments in the series. Disappointment. Expand
  56. Nov 14, 2012
    One of the worst shooters I have ever played. The game feels so old now and just boring as hell considering I have played the game in various iterations since 2007 with Modern Warfare. This game is abysmal and after reading the scores from all the gaming site and mags I realize that Activision are still playing for high reviews and milking it's customers all the way to the bank.

Don't

Don't buy this game, it's not worth your money, unless you have a simple mind and like playing the same game, year in, year out with no changes at all.
  57. Nov 23, 2012
    How do I put this gently:
    -Boring campaign
    -Boring multiplayer
    -Useless killstreaks
    **** graphics
    -Guns that feel like toys
    -Cheesy voice acting
    -Crappy Community
  58. Mar 19, 2014
    now before i review this i have one thing to say i like call of duty but i am not in love with it so any call of duty fans don't read this are they gone good lets get in with it now the plot i enjoyed but problems what they put in with it one why when interrogated he talks but when your playing he never says anything number 2 can we please not have this retarded enemy and alli ai letsnow before i review this i have one thing to say i like call of duty but i am not in love with it so any call of duty fans don't read this are they gone good lets get in with it now the plot i enjoyed but problems what they put in with it one why when interrogated he talks but when your playing he never says anything number 2 can we please not have this retarded enemy and alli ai lets start with enemy ai don't just hold your trigger for 30 seconds till you have to reload that supprisibliy takes longer then you and they cant even do cover i can see they foreheads and it works to kill them or they stand in the open for me to flank them and now lets talk about a lli ai they have one side conversations and when there fighting they shoot at the sky and most of them can't lip sync alright and now multi player i just have one or two problems with it there are too many perk abilities to get just if you get 4 kills what and skills are pointless and the zombie mode was good Expand
  59. Mar 13, 2011
    The single player mode is a mess. They tried to be innovative with all of the back-flashes through interrogation, but it just became a clutter. Next, the zombie game could have used a little more explanation. The World at War zombie game was simple enough. You are in a room, there are zombie, don't die. Now their are a dozen rooms with all kinds of things to purchase, turn on, etc. AThe single player mode is a mess. They tried to be innovative with all of the back-flashes through interrogation, but it just became a clutter. Next, the zombie game could have used a little more explanation. The World at War zombie game was simple enough. You are in a room, there are zombie, don't die. Now their are a dozen rooms with all kinds of things to purchase, turn on, etc. A little tutorial probably would have saved this and there would be no complaint. Finally the multi-player ... actually no complaints there, it is a lot of fun. Expand
  60. Jul 26, 2011
    When I first got this game I was expecting something different from previous iterations. After a few hours with this game I got pretty bored, it felt like I was playing mw2 or waw. There definitely were some new additions to multiplayer, but these weren't enough to warrant the purchase.
  61. Dec 21, 2010
    If you have a fat ps3 do not buy this game. It can possibly (like me) ruin your ps3's bluray drive. Apparently thousands of ps3 owners are having this problem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huWBNDhV_H8
  62. Feb 2, 2011
    Initially, I felt good about Black Ops. The campaign is well made, albeit a little bit too "HOORAH AMERICA" for my taste, zombie mode is hilarious and fun, and the multiplayer was the most addicting thing I have played since Halo 2 online. At first there were a few weird glitches and bugs in the online multiplayer which I figured would have been ironed out by now. But they have not. AndInitially, I felt good about Black Ops. The campaign is well made, albeit a little bit too "HOORAH AMERICA" for my taste, zombie mode is hilarious and fun, and the multiplayer was the most addicting thing I have played since Halo 2 online. At first there were a few weird glitches and bugs in the online multiplayer which I figured would have been ironed out by now. But they have not. And it's been months. In some ways the bugs, connection issues and just plain weird occurrences in the multiplayer seem to be getting worse and sometimes the game is unplayable online. Out of every 10 or so games I try to join, 8 attempts fail. These issues seem mostly specific to the PS3 version of the game, as I have played it on the Xbox 360 with no problems, and it isn't looking like these issues will be fixed any time soon. Get it on 360 if you can. Expand
  63. Jan 14, 2011
    This game is an amazing shooter! The multiplayer is really well planned out and fun. The campaign is no better or worse than previous COD entries and is nice and all but we all know that the primary sell point for COD is the great multiplayer experience! The game is exceptionally well made, graphics, story, etc.
  64. Jan 17, 2011
    This is my second CoD game after CoD 1. I have only played the multi-player games and I love it. I don't y ppl are rating it so low.
  65. Jan 6, 2011
    This game is the best of all Call Of Dutys, the Nazi Zombies mode in this game are so creepy, but also so fun. All the bumtards out there talking smack about Black Ops, screw you
  66. Sep 17, 2011
    yeah the online multiplayer is okay. it reminds me of halo. FILLERFILLERFILLER FILLERFILLERFILLER FILLERFILLERFILLER FILLERFILLERFILLER FILLERFILLERFILLER FILLERFILLERFILLER FILLERFILLERFILLER FILLERFILLERFILLER FILLERFILLERFILLER FILLERFILLERFILLER
  67. Mar 17, 2011
    where to start....the campign is good and the graphics are good, cool story, cool characters, and utterly different from any other call of duty. the gameplay is tight, the guns handle well, all in all a great single player game. Mp however is a broke pile of garbage. it lags like theres no tomorrow, every time the game is patched it creates 10 new problems, theres severe balancing issues,where to start....the campign is good and the graphics are good, cool story, cool characters, and utterly different from any other call of duty. the gameplay is tight, the guns handle well, all in all a great single player game. Mp however is a broke pile of garbage. it lags like theres no tomorrow, every time the game is patched it creates 10 new problems, theres severe balancing issues, horrible servers...i could go on and on but i wont. when this game game out i was so excited. i loved everything about it! then they started patching the game and creating loop holes, and its there own fault. a public beta would have fixed 90 percent of these problems, but as usual activision refuses to do the logical thing! its an ok game. great story, terrible multiplayer. if you buy it remember your only buying 50% of a game Expand
  68. Jul 26, 2011
    I think Single player mode in COD is the best. in multiplayer mode game have small number of cards. it's bad and they very small!! :)
  69. Mar 18, 2011
    What an absolute load of rubbish this game is, a complete waste of money. Treyarch have once again shown that they are a poor relative of Infinity Ward as every aspect fo this game is worse than the IW games, as was World at War. Let's just hope that Activision sort out their differences with IW for the next game. COD4 was excellent, as was MW2.
    With Black Ops, the graphics are awful,
    With Black Ops, the graphics are awful, the sound is dodgy, the maps are small and badly designed and it all feels a little bit too 'arcadey'. And the menu, upgrade and unlock facilities are atrocious.
    I love the COD games but I'd even take COD3 over this guff. Stick with MW2 or even COD4 and you'll be a lot happier and a lot more satisfied!
  70. Feb 8, 2011
    Before i start i would like to say that i give the game a 7.5. Okay so, This game's single-player mode is great. It has a good storyline, fantastic characters but horrible voice acting from Sam Worthington. The zombie mode on the other hand is a 9/10 it is so good i could play it for 6 hours a day with my friends and not get bored. But the multiplayer is however worse than MW2. TheBefore i start i would like to say that i give the game a 7.5. Okay so, This game's single-player mode is great. It has a good storyline, fantastic characters but horrible voice acting from Sam Worthington. The zombie mode on the other hand is a 9/10 it is so good i could play it for 6 hours a day with my friends and not get bored. But the multiplayer is however worse than MW2. The constant lag, connection interrupted all the time, mostly campers and annyoing people but i can't give the game bad review for that, it is just they could have worked on the multiplayer a little more to perfect it, the multiplayer is more like and Alpha or a Beta. So that is my review. If you love CoD, get MW2 or MW1. Expand
  71. Feb 21, 2011
    I'll admit, I'm not the biggest COD fan (aside from the first which was awesome). Don't get me wrong, these games are fairly enjoyable in the run-around-gunning-fools stakes, but my problem with them (and with Black Ops in particular) is that they are interlaced with some overly cliche story and characters impossible to empathise with. Now it's true that when the bullets are flying yourI'll admit, I'm not the biggest COD fan (aside from the first which was awesome). Don't get me wrong, these games are fairly enjoyable in the run-around-gunning-fools stakes, but my problem with them (and with Black Ops in particular) is that they are interlaced with some overly cliche story and characters impossible to empathise with. Now it's true that when the bullets are flying your chances of sharing a moment with a character is pretty limited, but at the least you should care whether they live or die. Or at least notice - I barely noticed when your in-game buddies kicked the bucket. I suppose it's a fundamental problem I have with alot of FPS games these days. When I want a compelling story I'll play an action/adventure or an RPG. When I play a FPS I want to shoot sh*t up. I don't want to be hit over the head with some clunky conspiratorial "Oh we're on the brink of war...again" story. Treyarch bombard the player with a blurry, slideshow of random images that are more conducive to giving a gamer epilepsy than immersing them in any worthwhile story. Maybe the problem is that they're just taking themselves too seriously - I yearn for the days of Doom and Wolfenstein = There's aliens/nazis in that off-planet/overseas base/castle now go shoot them with incredibly lethal weapons! That's all I need to know, I don't need much more than that. Isn't that why people play FPS? I must be in the minority. Anyway, this long diatribe's purpose is basically to say I thought the story was just an irritating distraction that took me away from the action when I was really starting to feel gung-ho.

As far as gameplay mechanics go, Black Ops is functional but nothing flash. In truth, it's not really much of an improvement over World At War. I experienced fatal glitches a couple of times when I went prone and my player refused to turn around or even get back up and another occasion where an enemy just literally pops out of thin air in a manner that would be more appropriate in a Harry Potter film (which in Veteran results in a rapid death). Your AI companions are just downright mentally handicapped. I've lost count of the number of times a friendly companion (like the Vietnamese hill section) has just completely ignored an approaching enemy who couldn't be more obvious if he was naked, and I've ended up with a knife in the head. Again another flaw that remains from the World At War era. Likewise the enemy AI are a six-pack short of a case - I mean in this day and age it's not impossible to introduce AI that can attempt to outwit you with flanking tactics and smoke grenades, etc. Call of Duty are just serving up a production line of moving targets without attempting to try and serve up anything interesting. Though I suppose with the money Treyarch/Infinity Ward are raking in, why change something that people are buying in droves? The graphics are pretty sub-par compared to MW2, and for me, it becomes more noticeable purely because the story isn't overly engaging. The combat is decent enough though, that it isn't a huge issue for me. On a plus note, I completely love the explosion/shock-wave effects of the grenades and a fair few of the weapons have a satisfying kick. And though I have extremely limited knowledge of weapon sounds, they sound pretty meaty. I haven't played enough of the multiplayer or Dead Ops Arcade as of yet, so I can't give a completely accurate review of it. From my limited glances at it, it's not too bad though. The wager matches certainly spice things up for the better, particularly One in The Chamber. The real multiplayer fun for me, however, is Zombies! Everybody loves zombies (even in this undead-saturated games market) and though not much of an improvement over it's previous iteration, it's still plenty entertaining enough.

All in all, this is still a must purchase for the hordes of incomprehensible teenage COD fanboys and mindless casual gamers. For the rest of us that are still discerning gamers that demand something ingenious and special to give a game a 9 or 10 this is something to rent, get on the cheap, or just ignore completely. You won't be missing anything that will change your life.
  72. Feb 16, 2011
    Like usual Treyarch cannot seem to make an epic game like IW. Don't get me wrong, Black Ops is a lot of fun, but it's NO MW2. The campaign is fun and entertaining, I like the extra zombie levels, but honestly I buy call of duty games for the online play. Guns: The guns really piss me off in this game. They're about 5 good primary weapons, and the rest are simply turd. THIS IS NOT HOW OTHERLike usual Treyarch cannot seem to make an epic game like IW. Don't get me wrong, Black Ops is a lot of fun, but it's NO MW2. The campaign is fun and entertaining, I like the extra zombie levels, but honestly I buy call of duty games for the online play. Guns: The guns really piss me off in this game. They're about 5 good primary weapons, and the rest are simply turd. THIS IS NOT HOW OTHER CALL OF DUTY GAMES ARE OR SHOULD BE! In MW2 EVERY GUN (except maybe the vector) is awesome in some way. That's what I love, i get sick of always playing with the same gun, and Treyarch doesn't give you much choice on this one. The gun customization is cool in this game ,but it seems like Treyarch spent too much time with bells and whistles instead of the actual gameplay. Maps: Mediocre- The only REALLY good ones are Nuketown and Firing Range

Perks: I gotta say, the perks in this game were done really well. I'm a BIG fan of the CHALLENGES for PRO perks, they make it hard and interesting, so having a Pro perk is actually something special. Killstreaks: I think they did a good job here as well. Nothing is TOO overpowered, some suck, and some are awesome like it should be. I LOVE the dogs, my fav killsteak of any call of duty.
  73. Mar 2, 2011
    Call of Duty Black Ops, first I just want to say I am NOT a huge fan of Call of Duty and I only bought this game on a whim since I could not think of anything else I wanted at the time. Ok back to the review; I really underated this game, I actually found the Campaign Story of the game very interesting and kept me wanting to figure out want was going to happen next. As for the otherCall of Duty Black Ops, first I just want to say I am NOT a huge fan of Call of Duty and I only bought this game on a whim since I could not think of anything else I wanted at the time. Ok back to the review; I really underated this game, I actually found the Campaign Story of the game very interesting and kept me wanting to figure out want was going to happen next. As for the other gameplay mode; there is multi-player of course, which works very well and is pretty fun. The Zombie mode however is my favorite part of Black Ops. You get one Map when you first start, a 2nd one you unlock after you finish the campaign, and a Retro Dual Arcade Shooter style mode called "Dead Ops Arcade." In general however, to me anyway, There is no difference between this FPS or any other one for that matter. Still, I enjoyed this game, and I recommend it to people who are looking for a good FPS, but if you have any other Call of Duty game, just stick to the one you have or wait for a Price Drop. So to me, Call of Duty: Black Ops gets a 8 out of 10 Expand
  74. Mar 15, 2011
    i like the features, being able to play 2 players online is awesome and the theater is way cool. honestly i like the guns being balanced much better in black ops than MW2, however the maps just are not as much fun.
  75. May 23, 2011
    Black ops is by far the worst Call of Duty since CoD3. Then again, the Call of Duty franchise is known for quality, and this game is still pretty damn good. The Single Player campaign has a decent story made to look better with its unorthodox delivery. To a degree, ESPECIALLY on the first 8 or so missions, it succeeds. However it can tend to get tiresome. The multiplayer is like a mixBlack ops is by far the worst Call of Duty since CoD3. Then again, the Call of Duty franchise is known for quality, and this game is still pretty damn good. The Single Player campaign has a decent story made to look better with its unorthodox delivery. To a degree, ESPECIALLY on the first 8 or so missions, it succeeds. However it can tend to get tiresome. The multiplayer is like a mix between W@W and MW2, but worse. It had great balance (at the cost of a usable SMG), fun killstreaks (that you can't KSwhore like in MW2), and some nice weapons and maps, but it feels less like fun and more like trying to be addictive. Expand
  76. Mar 24, 2011
    For Treyarch this is a significant step forward from World at War given the benchmark Infinity Ward have laid down with the CoD series, Black Ops doesn't quite reach those standards but they aren't too far away at all. Many gamers believe MW and MW2 are over-hyped and over-rated and they do have a point but the success MW has claimed is there for all to see. So no pressure then on BlackFor Treyarch this is a significant step forward from World at War given the benchmark Infinity Ward have laid down with the CoD series, Black Ops doesn't quite reach those standards but they aren't too far away at all. Many gamers believe MW and MW2 are over-hyped and over-rated and they do have a point but the success MW has claimed is there for all to see. So no pressure then on Black Ops? Black Ops is a solid shooter. It's well polished and does it exactly what it sets out to do. Single player mode focuses upon Alex Mason, who for the majority of the game is strapped to a chair, being interrogated about a sequence of numbers that they somehow believe will avert a global disaster. Its a bold idea and one that is largely successful, the missions are solid and the locations visited provide give some variety from Vietnam to Cuba. The campaign isn't the longest but is considerably better planned and executed. However the problem with Black Ops is online/multplayer. You consistently run into problems that prevent you from get going. Its a real shame because the wager mode was an interesting one and when you can experience it, is a great addition otherwise its the usual CoD but unfortunately you cant sample this reguarly enough! Rapping things up, Black Ops is a step in the right direction for Treyarch their storyline is both solid and engaging however they are let down by a lacklustrous and unreliable online mode that ultimately prevents it from its potential. Expand
  77. Mar 24, 2011
    This is one of my favorite COD game because of the campaign and the multi-player. The campaign is the best of the series and I mean it! The multi-player is good but not as good as MW2's. Great game!
  78. May 3, 2011
    Great multiplayer and a variety of new zombie maps alone make this game worth playing. I liked the campaign, but again I felt it was rushed and too short. The graphics still don't hold a candle to the amazing level of detail in MW2, but they look decent. There are some overpowed weapons, but not too many. I still prefer WAW.
  79. Aug 12, 2011
    Blacks Ops (PS3 version) is a cleaned CoD , with a ton of new stuff that are compelling. The multiplayer has nice pace , the gameplay is the same ( obviously) , the graphics downgraded but not bad , and the story is well made. You need to play it , to see if it fits well for you . Let's see if CoD can keep the fan base fresh fro the couple months with the MW3 announcement .
  80. Apr 13, 2011
    This game is great but its not as good as MW2.The maps couldave been better like the ones in previous COD games.Without zombies this game wouldnt be as good.Zombies is the best part of the game by far.Overall, this game is really fun.
  81. Apr 17, 2011
    My first Treyarch Call of Duty game. My opinion it's not up to the Infinity Ward level of COD game play. First of all, I did not care for the Single player game too much compared to the previous IW games. In addition, I'm not all that interested in the Zombie games that Treyarch offers. The Online Multiplayer is fun and the best feature of the game. Treyarch offer better statistic recordsMy first Treyarch Call of Duty game. My opinion it's not up to the Infinity Ward level of COD game play. First of all, I did not care for the Single player game too much compared to the previous IW games. In addition, I'm not all that interested in the Zombie games that Treyarch offers. The Online Multiplayer is fun and the best feature of the game. Treyarch offer better statistic records of you during your online play so you can better evaluate your performance. However, as a whole package the game ranks a little lower than the IW games. Expand
  82. Apr 22, 2011
    Below me are pretty much all the haters of this game that just make 500 accounts to give it a low score. I think this game is very good and if you have not played it like the other people who hate on this and give it a 0 you should play this ASAP!! It is so much fun I love the multiplayer so much it is very addicting and I can play this for hours. I think it beats the battlefield series by a lot.
  83. Apr 22, 2011
    I love this game so much I think its so much better than the other shooters like homefront and battlefield you have to play this game its so good and I dont know why a lot of people hate on this game just because its good and the best selling game of all time maybe. This is why I hate user score on metacritic I know people make like 500 accounts just to give this a bad review well this isI love this game so much I think its so much better than the other shooters like homefront and battlefield you have to play this game its so good and I dont know why a lot of people hate on this game just because its good and the best selling game of all time maybe. This is why I hate user score on metacritic I know people make like 500 accounts just to give this a bad review well this is a good game. Expand
  84. Jun 1, 2011
    Funny how COD always turns into a love or hate it game. In not comparing it to any other titles, I find the game to be very good. The single player campaign is a little too linear for my taste and at times it's hard to figure out what is going on. The multiplayer on the other hand, is spectacular. Love the guns, the gamemodes, the perks, and most everything about it. Graphics areFunny how COD always turns into a love or hate it game. In not comparing it to any other titles, I find the game to be very good. The single player campaign is a little too linear for my taste and at times it's hard to figure out what is going on. The multiplayer on the other hand, is spectacular. Love the guns, the gamemodes, the perks, and most everything about it. Graphics are good, and gameplay is smooth. The drawbacks for me would probably be the fact that all the game modes seem to be very similar, but then again, how different can you make it when one team is killing a second team and vica-versa. Easily the most addicting game I have ever picked up. 16 playing days into it, I'm still loving it. And I LOVE The theatre mode! FPS fans have probably already tried COD and either love it or hate it. I find the multiplayer much more satisfying than MW2, and a must in any PS3 collection. Expand
  85. May 15, 2011
    Disappointing. Anyone who owns this game, and also owns modern warfare (CoD4), I have a challenge for you. Play an hour on the game which came out in 2007, then play BlOps. I won't make you suffer an hour on the second one, and you are free to go back to playing modern warfare now. There is no aspect of the game which I consider to be better than CoD4, the graphics are worse, storyDisappointing. Anyone who owns this game, and also owns modern warfare (CoD4), I have a challenge for you. Play an hour on the game which came out in 2007, then play BlOps. I won't make you suffer an hour on the second one, and you are free to go back to playing modern warfare now. There is no aspect of the game which I consider to be better than CoD4, the graphics are worse, story less engaging, and the online isn't worth your time either. Hopefully infinity Ward will be able to do better than this. Expand
  86. May 14, 2011
    I don't get it. I just don't get it.
    This is the first game that I can absolutely assume(and not second guess) that reviewers were paid off to make this game what it is. Either that, or they're blinded by the almighty reign that is CoD, and automatically have a biased view on it.
    I don't get it. I just don't get it.
    GamePro says: "Ludicrously deep multiplayer experience".....Are you f*$&in kidding me? The killstreaks only go to 11, the weapons loadout is hardly any more massive than it's predecessors, game modes are the same, etc. etc......a near carbon copy of it's predecessors with one exception....COD Points and the Wager matches.

Graphics aren't anything to gawk at either. Character animations are lifeless and comically poor. Hit detection is THE WORST I've seen in years. Match-making is a joke(coming from a PS3 user though), with a constant nag for separating your party game after game. Lag is very prevalent, although that's what you get for having User-Hosted games. The maps are mediocre in my opinion, nothing yet has amazed me about them.

It's not 100% bad, and I don't hate the game. I'm pretty upset with it's success leading to my favorite developers trying to reach their hands in the CoD formula cookie jar. That's what has me insanely confused on how any of these reviewers can dismiss these faults, and ultimately give the game a 9-9.5.
    I like to be fair and unbiased as much as possible, and I just can't give any of these reviewers the benfit of the doubt on most of their claims. Has me ultimately believing they were paid off.

Besides it's faults....the only reason I still have this game is because of Zombies. My friends have the game, they like zombies, so we have a good time with it.

If it didn't have Zombies, I would've traded this game in already. But don't get me entirely wrong, throwing tomahawks and using the Ballistic knife can be fun. I did enjoy playing the game, before I got bored with it, but it's just enrages me, again, on how this game has garnered such a success.
  87. May 5, 2011
    I absolutely loved this game. There are just a few things that I didn't like as much as Modern Warfare 2. One thing is that the story in Modern Warfare was a bit better than this one's campaign, and Modern Warfare's made a bit more sense. Most of the guns in Black Ops are pretty amazing, but they are a bit over-powered, like the Stoner63 and Famas. But, I still like it better than ModernI absolutely loved this game. There are just a few things that I didn't like as much as Modern Warfare 2. One thing is that the story in Modern Warfare was a bit better than this one's campaign, and Modern Warfare's made a bit more sense. Most of the guns in Black Ops are pretty amazing, but they are a bit over-powered, like the Stoner63 and Famas. But, I still like it better than Modern Warfare 2. Expand
  88. May 12, 2011
    Well... I find this game hard to rate... on one hand, there is the undeniably amazing multiplayer, which has pretty much everything you could ever want from a first person shooter, satisfying co-operative online, the ability to play split screen with a mate AND be online at the same time (which might make it harder to actually kill people, but makes it ten times more satisfying when youWell... I find this game hard to rate... on one hand, there is the undeniably amazing multiplayer, which has pretty much everything you could ever want from a first person shooter, satisfying co-operative online, the ability to play split screen with a mate AND be online at the same time (which might make it harder to actually kill people, but makes it ten times more satisfying when you can both celebrate actually doing well! or mock each other for being rubbish) as well as a truly great zombie mode that you can try and fight your way through together (although why there isn't any 4 player split screen on zombie mode I don't know). On the other hand... there's the single player campaign, which is one of the most dull and tedious story lines I've ever attempted to play, it seems they couldn't be bothered to actually hire anyone to write a decent story, so chose some famous historical figure that was pretty undeniably a bad guy and everyone hates, and then stuck some generic 'flash back of what happened' storyline over the top of a bland game... so... my current view may be skewed slightly by the lack of playstation network at the moment, but I'm going to have to give this game a 6/10... multiplayer gets a solid 9.5/10 but the single player is just appalling. And if you can have co-op online, why not co-op campaign?!?! Maybe that would save some credit, but sadly only a 3.5/10 for the dull drab single player experience. Expand
  89. May 24, 2011
    Love the graphics and rather ease of play but Im not a fan of first person view. At least not until we can set up 3 head display systems and get some peripheral vision. The downside to the whole call of duty series is the stupid party systems. Its such a chore to get your friends all together and then when you finally do, somebody else wants to join. Its terrible. Also nobody will playLove the graphics and rather ease of play but Im not a fan of first person view. At least not until we can set up 3 head display systems and get some peripheral vision. The downside to the whole call of duty series is the stupid party systems. Its such a chore to get your friends all together and then when you finally do, somebody else wants to join. Its terrible. Also nobody will play anything other than respawn. It gets old quick. Zombies are lots of fun and thats about all the game is good for now. Expand
  90. Jan 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Alright, I'm not going to bore you with an unnecessarily long review. So, I'll just get straight to the point: Call of Duty Black Ops is a good game. It's not perfect but it's not a failure either. It's just a good first person shooter made for people who like first person shooters. This one follows the Modern Warfare formula by stepping away from the past several WW2-era renditions in the CoD series...sort of. The missions take place during various time periods in the 1960s and 70s, including the Cold War, The Vietnam war and others.

Gameplay is pretty standard. If you've played previous CoD games, you'll know how to run through all the controls pretty quickly. The campaign mode is a little short but I suppose that's been a staple of most of the recent CoD games. Multi-player is pretty comprehensive and customizable. You can customize your characters and weapons, even repaint guns, add clan tags, camo, secondary functions, and abilities, etc. Its easy to level up by playing with bots but your progress won't count when you play in live multi-player deathmatches. Black-Ops has off-line and on-line multi-player and supports 4-player splitscreen, and includes the Zombies game that first appeared in a past CoD game. However...there is no offline or online campaign co-op. That to me is a disappointment.

There is also one major technological gripe that I have which I think many people have over looked: The game supports 720p HD....not 1080P....and that means if you're like me and have a 1080p tv, you will not be playing in full screen. This only affects co-op/split-screen modes. If you're playing locally with a few friends, you'll notice that Black Ops compensates for this by putting black bars on either side of the screen, thus shrinking down the gameplay screen and making everything smaller. Now that 90% of the world have 1080 HD tvs, this seems like a stupid oversight which I hope can be patched in an update but I'm not holding my breath.

Sound is great- gunshots and vehicle sounds are excellent. You really feel like you're in a war zone. Textures could have been improved. Some of the guns look like cartoons. Overall, if you want a good shooter, get this game. It remains to be seen whether multi-player will survive or continue to be supported now that Cod Modern Warfare 3 is out.
  91. Jun 16, 2011
    I really like CoD series but I prefer Modern Warfare, Black Ops have a good campaign but I think the multyplayer is boring. This time Treyarch has done a better job.
  92. Jul 2, 2011
    I've been a CoD fan since CoD 4. That said, I know they have been releasing the same game for 4 years now (the only thing "changed" is the perks and killstreaks). To be honest, I didn't want this game but I got it as a gift because I am known to be a CoD fanatic.

I thought, "Here's the same game again". But I was surprised. The story is deep and epic, yet understandable. I believe this story is the best CoD story I have played. But to get more effect from the story, I suggest you play CoD: World at War first (it's cheap now). My only complaint of the story mode is that the AI can be retarded sometimes but it's fixed several patches later.

Now multiplayer. For better or worse, they took out the tactical nuke. The CoD points seem unnessessary, but you can just buy an attachment for your favourite gun immediately. And the Contracts. It's allows you to level up faster and get you more CoD points and it's a good implement. It's the same multiplayer for 4 years, but it's strangely fun and I'm actually willing to pay for more maps.

Zombies now. It's really cool and they have put in different enemies. But aside from that, there's nothing heavily changed from World at War.

For better or worse, it's the same game for 4 years but, I would still recommend this to any FPS lover and CoD fans. Then again, for some CoD fans, they would get bored because it's, well, the same game for 4 years. But whoever you are, you should at least rent it for the story and enjoy a little of the multiplayer. If you hate it for whatever reason, fine. But don't go preaching about how it sucks because IT DOES NOT SUCK. It has faults like every other game.
  93. Jul 14, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Oh Black Ops, as a game you confuse me. While your multiplayer player is a fun endeavor and zombie mode entertaining (more so with friends for those you with lives and real friends). However your first player mode is where all the failure lies. And I mean all of it. If you read the summary you'll know this takes during the Cold War Era where American decided to be the biggest idiot ever. The story follows one guy who get to relive a bunch of missions like they were deranged flashbacks. As fan of story and character development and I can safely say this game has none. Since it's the cold war the big evil terrorist guy is some Russian and it is never explained why he hates America, or why Cuba is allied with them, or why he needs to brain wash random people with number codes, or why there's Russians in Korea. And why are all the big bad guys taken out with cut-scenes and quick time events? This is a First Person Shooter not a JRPG. The levels aren't that long ether, they take a while since two hits gets you killed and you spend most of it hiding behind a chest high wall making most weapons kind of useless. You might as well not bother with anything other than a machine gun. Not to mention finding out who is on your side or not only something you figure out after you shot them dead. Yes it looks nice the first player mode is a mess. Also I fail to see why they have hidden Intel, realistic shooters aren't the kind of games where you go exploring. That works better is game with health meters, where you don't recover from a gun wound by sucking your thumb behind a wall. Not to mention they could have made great impact had the game shown the assassination of JFK instead of a rap song and sudden mode of zombies. And if your not here for the online or multiplayer experience just pay attention in history class to get the cold war run down. At least the class will explain what the hell is going on. Expand
  94. Jul 14, 2011
    The Call of Duty Franchise, the most unchanged franchise in the world... what do I mean? what I mean is that they only change the game-play and the weapons, not realistic, people hack to get to get to the 70TH level, Guess what? this is the big word: Call Of Duty 4 is the game, while the other games in the series: "JUST ONE BIG DLC" So in order to finish this review, Battlefield vomits allThe Call of Duty Franchise, the most unchanged franchise in the world... what do I mean? what I mean is that they only change the game-play and the weapons, not realistic, people hack to get to get to the 70TH level, Guess what? this is the big word: Call Of Duty 4 is the game, while the other games in the series: "JUST ONE BIG DLC" So in order to finish this review, Battlefield vomits all over the Call of Duty series. Expand
  95. Jul 15, 2011
    This game is garbage. I rather go back to MW2 which was a disappointment. I also own World at War and Treyarch did a much better job on that. The only thing that saves this game is its amazing zombie mode.
  96. Jul 23, 2011
    Call of Duty Black Ops is the much anticipated game from Treyarch and it really let me down. The story is plain boring but the action here is alright. It sounds like a cartoon and looks like Call of Duty 3. It has the worst level in a COD game were you control a blackbird and command soldiers on the battle field this level seemed like a bad real-time strategy game. The thing that broughtCall of Duty Black Ops is the much anticipated game from Treyarch and it really let me down. The story is plain boring but the action here is alright. It sounds like a cartoon and looks like Call of Duty 3. It has the worst level in a COD game were you control a blackbird and command soldiers on the battle field this level seemed like a bad real-time strategy game. The thing that brought my score up is the mutilplayer it is fantastic it brings COD points as well as experience into the mix so you will be trying to prestige for weeks. Expand
  97. Jul 29, 2011
    call of duty black ops has a suckier campaign than modern warfare one and two, however the online play is very fun and very addicting. it was ok
  98. Aug 6, 2011
    When this game came out, I would have propably given this game a 7, but when 2011 begun, it all went to **** multiplayer got **** because people were abusing the game mechanics.The campaign is just like a Michael Bay movie, it over uses the action, and that makes it pretty boring to play.The story was propably the best one in a CoD game, but the gameplay was SO repeative.I think that theWhen this game came out, I would have propably given this game a 7, but when 2011 begun, it all went to **** multiplayer got **** because people were abusing the game mechanics.The campaign is just like a Michael Bay movie, it over uses the action, and that makes it pretty boring to play.The story was propably the best one in a CoD game, but the gameplay was SO repeative.I think that the zombie mode is good, but everything else sucks.The critics have totally overrated this game, because it´s really one of the worst CoD games ever.I hope that MW3 will be better, or CoD will be dead for me. Expand
  99. Aug 3, 2011
    In my opinion this is probably the worst COD ever made, im purely judging this on the multi-player side of it but even the campaign isnt a work of art, in fact the only highlight is zombies, back to the multi-player, there are 3 outstanding guns severely overused and equally overpowered despite treyarchs "efforts" to nerf the guns, that aside the general community exploits the too manyIn my opinion this is probably the worst COD ever made, im purely judging this on the multi-player side of it but even the campaign isnt a work of art, in fact the only highlight is zombies, back to the multi-player, there are 3 outstanding guns severely overused and equally overpowered despite treyarchs "efforts" to nerf the guns, that aside the general community exploits the too many camp spots on EVERY map not to mention the killstreaks are unbelievably overpowered and are given at such low amount of kills that added with hardline is just a recipe for disaster and is, the general physics of the game are really bad aswell that teamed up with bullets that curve around walls is not anything but annoying, to add to this ridiculous onslaught of problems they reintroduced one of the most overused and annoying perks except with a new name and a even more annoying pro feature which i think all you cod player know what im refaring to, also to make things worse its accessible straight away from level 1 and thanks to cod points its also buy-able once one has gained 2000 CP plus physics completely go against the reality of that situation as well, and lets face that the secondary's arent exactly fare either, mainly speaking of the pistols but also one of the launchers which again you cod players know what im refaring to, i will give it that zombies are well worth playing and is really good with the new zombie map installments. (which at a outrageous price almost out-ways that pros) To summarise this game i would say that there are way to many negatives, that the positives are almost impossible to see, also treyarchs "solution" to the ever present faults in the game is to make map packs which so far have only made the game worse (excluding the zombie maps) as such only aggravates the situation.

RATING:
    0/10 - Multi-Player
    6/10 - Zombies (Too pricy for new maps)
    6/10 - Campaign
    Despite the 2 6's the multi-player drags the game down to much i would give it negative if i could.
  100. Sep 4, 2011
    The singleplayer story is by far the best in the CoD franchise although the action is mind-numbing, Multiplayer is more balanced than MW2 but it gets boring after awhile. Graphics have received a downgrade but doesn't bother me much, the sound however is terrible, guns sound like they're made of plastic explosions sound alright though. Zombies is back and it is still as fun as ever.The singleplayer story is by far the best in the CoD franchise although the action is mind-numbing, Multiplayer is more balanced than MW2 but it gets boring after awhile. Graphics have received a downgrade but doesn't bother me much, the sound however is terrible, guns sound like they're made of plastic explosions sound alright though. Zombies is back and it is still as fun as ever. However it is not the best game ever made (same with MW2) as you will hear many fanboys say. Expand

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops still represents one hell of a hefty package. It's bursting with hundreds of hours of entertainment that caters to every conceivable configuration of gamer out there, be they an adversarial gamer, a co-op connoisseur or a staunch offline soloist. [January 2011 p60]
  2. Jan 18, 2011
    By dint of obstinacy, Treyarch delivers probably its best with Black Ops Call of Duty to date - but probably not the best in the saga.
  3. Jan 16, 2011
    There are more highlights in the first two missions of Black Ops, then in Medal of Honor. The requirements of Treyarch seemed to be better, than in the past few years. They made an interesting setting. In addition, there's a nice zombie mode and an overwhelming multiplayer. No doubt, this is Treyarchs best Call of Duty ever!