7.2

1. May 13, 2012
    Imagine if the Ghostbusters got a call, imagine it is in the middle of the night, and imagine if they rushed to it only to find out that they would be spending the night in Hell, and then found out that the call was made by Clive Barker. Somehow this is how I feel about the game Jericho. It's concept involves a team of fearless, for the most part, individuals who live to blacken the eye of unholy abominations. Clive Barker's Jericho is in many ways a Ghostbusters in Hell kind of story, but it is far more than that as well. Jericho is an underrated gem of a horror game which raises a lot more than piles of bodies and ammo, though prepare for plenty of that as well. This game will raise questions about faith, historic figures, religion, reality, what ifs, maybes, might have been's, and some frightening could be's. The tale goes that before man God created another being but was dissatisfied with it and therefor aborted it. Known in the game as The Firstborn these "beings" were placed in a patch of alternate reality known as The Box. (feeling Clive Barkery yet? Just wait...) The Firstborn have the power to basically snap our planet like a twig, if it wasn't for team Jericho. Jericho is a squad of supernatural soldiers who protect our dimension. For every day the sun comes up and we go about our day undisturbed we can thank Jericho. Now, that is all I will say plot wise because the game is very fun to see unfold with its creative little surprises. As I mentioned before, this game really is underrated. You most likely will not hear too many people having played or enjoyed this game and this goes for critics as well. Upon asking why all I can say is one of two things most likely apply if not both, one being the creativity of Clive Barker which I will circle around and come back to in just a moment. The second reason this could be is because this is not a typical game. It is a FPS, and unlike most FPS it takes a strategy and some creative juice on the players part. It is in no way mindless, in no way run and gun, in no way a button masher, and even though a cover system exists many will not find themselves using it, but instead fighting as a team face to face with demonic enemies. In a world where FPS focus on solid run and gun action and quickly getting to the multiplayer section, Jericho takes an approach that while flawed is desperately seeking something fresh. It's style is a co-op single player experience which allows you to control any team mate you wish at any time via possession, and with this you will discover that everyone who plays has a different favorite character because each plays different and has vastly different abilities and weapons. Jericho is a flawed little game but not by a terrible margin. AI is not too bright on either end of the gun but it is forgivable due its charm and pace. Enemies will run directly towards a roaring automatic weapon, your teammates may charge something three times their size, and often team mates are not very responsive when trying to work as a whole. However the games style somewhat shadows this with its over the top sci fi and horror elements. Dialogue is sometimes cheesy but it falls under a more lovable B-movie vibe than anything else. Characters are in some ways typical and in others completely original, but regardless you will probably like all of them even if your not emotionally attached to them. Something else I will briefly address is the ending or the lack of...the ending is not a bad one, its just that there isn't one, I don't mean that its a cliffhanger for a sequel, I mean there is literally no ending, the game just stops. I did not feel cheated but it is strange and has me wanting more. Now back to reason one that this game is overlooked. Mr.Barker himself spreads his wonderful insanity all over Jericho and it simply is not for everyone, but fans of his work will love it. It is dark, gory, disturbing, beautiful, and has the ability to reach under your skin here and there. Fans of Hellraiser and the like need to play this immediately. If the game has one thing going for it, it is the stunning attention to all things menacing. These are not just horror images, these are the things of nightmares and I for one love it. The game is worth playing just to admire Clive Barkers sense of terror and fantastic uses of human flesh, and if that does not sound enjoyable to you then heed my warning, this game is not for those with weak stomachs, and I do not say that often. The music is absorbing and scary as well, it is a bombastic action soundtrack filled with sheer haunting horror all the while not one single ounce of techno creeps its way in, a plus in my book. I truly enjoyed Jericho and would play it several more times. It is very fun, challenging, fast paced, exciting, and quite intense at times. For Barker fans it is an absolute must but I encourage all horror and sci fi fans to play at least once. This is not a Doom clone, this is Clive Barker. Collapse
  2. Apr 20, 2011
    This game is a masterpiece against general belief. Its twisted vision of environments of the past provides a perfect backdrop to the intense gameplay that surrounds the battlefield each minute, both hardcore but forgiving with a balanced sense of squad gameplay. Many say its linear, but not any more linear than a daily dose of any other mainstream commercial game. The final touches provide a creative and self-preserved plot that pushes you foward, and a provoking sense of sound design and graphical achievements with dark artistic values. Though not for everyone's taste, Clive Barker, Codemasters, and Mercury Steam have indeed provided a worthwhile vision of a truly horrific fantasy that provides a whole new level of gaming. Expand
  3. Oct 9, 2010
    I originally thought that this game would just be another run of the mill DOOM clone. To my surprise there was some plot, unique level and enemy design. The one thing that caught my attention was the character design. While most of the characters were more or less the same it was good to see clive barker introduce a character with mild Autism. Being autistic myself it is nice to see this kind of awareness in big video game/film and tv.

I've been into alot of FPS's before but this one definatly had some of the more shocking enemies i had seen in games at the time i bought it. Clive Barker still has that shock factor that i love to see from his work. The way you have to swap between characters is very innovative and adds a new level of thinking to the game play. The storyline is very good and well written as well.

While the game has its merits it does have its downfalls. First the amount of damage you take before you die seems to be very low even on a simple difficulty. Another gripe is that every enemy regardless of how much ammo you pump into them doesnt even slow down or stagger but this does add to the urgency of a quick kill. Lastly the ending seemed a little lackluster. Even a tortoise lighting a fart could have had more excitiment to it.

Still a decent game but could be improved in a few areas
  4. May 13, 2012

1. Clive Barker's Jericho might be the most boring and linear shooter ever. The idea of switching between characters is nice, but it is wasted on dull monster design. Also, the guns are the most underpowered peashooters ever. A huge disappointment, since the idea sounded quite interesting. [Oct 2007]
    The thread holding Jericho above that pit of legendary awfulness is thin and fraying. Mr. Barker, you're better than this.
  3. Jericho is clever enough for a good time with a FPS, however as anything else Jericho should trade in this blood gushing festival of carnage for jelly donuts.