7.3

1. Oct 20, 2010
    Fun and engaging -- witty without taking itself too seriously, this game has all the hallmark's of a Double Fine game. I haven't finished it yet, but it's one of the most enjoyable PSN experiences I've had in a long while. Well done!
  2. Oct 20, 2010
    Don't listen to Joe Juba from Game Informer. This game is awesome. It's funny, fun, and can be a challenge later on. At 5 hours long, it's also the right length. It ends when it should and leaves you wanting more, which is a good thing. Do yourself a favor and download the trial.
  3. Oct 21, 2010
    I love the combat system in this game. It is perfect to not have another real-time hack and slash diablo clone. I also love the Halloween theme, it is well done from the music to the visuals. This game is great and worth every cent.
  4. Oct 20, 2010
    This game is just plain adorable. I think it suits a variety of audiences because the writing is very smart and funny, but the gameplay isn't hugely difficult. The timing/reaction-based battle system adds a nice challenge and some of the twists on standard RPG mechanics were refreshing. (No random encounters; health restored after battles; no items used in combat; all characters haveThis game is just plain adorable. I think it suits a variety of audiences because the writing is very smart and funny, but the gameplay isn't hugely difficult. The timing/reaction-based battle system adds a nice challenge and some of the twists on standard RPG mechanics were refreshing. (No random encounters; health restored after battles; no items used in combat; all characters have the same base stats so you don't change party members, just costumes and stickers.) Playing the mini-games, matching battle bonus sticker, and collecting costume components are fun diversions along the way. As I was playing, I was amused by how much my Inner Child was coming to the surface.

The graphics are average, but perfectly suited to the style of the game. The music is reminiscent of Psychonauts, another game by Double Fine, understated and very good at creating a Halloween ambience. My only criticisms are that I wish it had full voice acting and that it's too short! (For the price, I think it is a good value...I just wanted more!) Since it is a fairly short game, I recommend playing it over Halloween weekend to get into the spirit.

I'm looking forward to the next Double Fine game!
  5. Jan 16, 2011
    A very fun, and addicting, game. The game is full of charm, witty dialogue, and whimsy. It appeals to the Halloween-loving kid inside anyone who has, well, ever loved Halloween. I beat the whole game in one sitting which means that A. I found it very enjoyable and B. it's short, but that's alright because the game doesn't wear out its welcome. The one major downside is the simplisticA very fun, and addicting, game. The game is full of charm, witty dialogue, and whimsy. It appeals to the Halloween-loving kid inside anyone who has, well, ever loved Halloween. I beat the whole game in one sitting which means that A. I found it very enjoyable and B. it's short, but that's alright because the game doesn't wear out its welcome. The one major downside is the simplistic combat system and how it can get a bit monotonous after you have been playing a while, but this is spiced up with the different costumes you unlock as you progress through the game. Nowhere else will you have a robot, the Statue of Liberty, and a unicorn join forces to battle the forces of candy-eating evil. If you liked any of Double Fine's other games (Psychonauts, Brutal Legend) chances are you will like this. Expand
  6. Oct 22, 2010
    Games like Costume Quest come along only once in awhile. No fanfare, it just sort of "Shows up". Sometimes games like this are a bust,but sometimes you take a chance and suddenly you are glad you did.

This game is one of those games that makes you WANT to keep playing and when it is over you are sad to see it go. It makes use of what got most people into video games in the first place, your imagination.

It's a little on the short side but at the price, you really do get what you pay for. I would have been glad to pay double the price for this game on a disc if it had been a little longer but it is a fantastic game nonetheless. I was pleasantly surprised at how much fun it really was.
  7. Nov 2, 2010
    This is a sweet little game. It is well written, funny, and very enjoyable. It is not long, but for $15 I felt I definitely got value. Get it and you won't be disappointed.
  8. Oct 26, 2011
    Great game, great replay value, perfect Halloween game. Players can aimlessly knock on doors, either receiving candy or a scary suprise of a "Grubbin". Combat is sometimes better than candy, because the turn based combat is fun and rewarding. Easily the best game that can be downloaded off the PSN.
  9. Oct 22, 2010

1. Mar 17, 2011
    Costume Quest ultimately fills the same void as the candy filling the kids' buckets: it tastes good, but it's not terribly filling.
  2. Jan 15, 2011
    Costume Quest is a fun game that will make a lot of people happy with its simplistic style and its witty conversations. The only downside of this game is the lack of variety.
  3. Jan 15, 2011
    Despite all the the good premises, this last game from Tim Schafer proves to be a small project with short and repetitive gameplay.