Crysis PlayStation 3

7.1

1. Jan 12, 2012
    One thing to mention, this is NOT really an open world or even sandbox game. I'm not saying this as a complaint, it's just that I saw it being called one so often and was surprised how linear it actually was, so I thought I'd mention it for others. Yes, of course, a lot of the areas are more open than in most other FPS games, but you cannot go anywhere anytime or toy around on the islandOne thing to mention, this is NOT really an open world or even sandbox game. I'm not saying this as a complaint, it's just that I saw it being called one so often and was surprised how linear it actually was, so I thought I'd mention it for others. Yes, of course, a lot of the areas are more open than in most other FPS games, but you cannot go anywhere anytime or toy around on the island ect. Save for a few sidemissions, this is structured like your regular shooter, but again, that's no bad thing, in fact, when a linear shooter can pretend it's an open game that well, that's probably a good thing, really.

However, I happened to not like it that much, after all. Before the "creatures" appear, it's always the same, the same enemies over and over again ect., which is understandable since it's a pseudorealistic setting, so no zombiecyborgkittens from outer space in a tutu. The nanosuit is kind of interesting at first, but you'll soon learn the only thing of real value is the stealth mode ... which will be used again and again and again. Not too bad, I love stealth games to death, that's why I got this game to begin with, but it's just not done very interestingly. If you decide to rely more on weapon power, it plays like a regular FPS with nothing special to it, to be honest. Things get a bit spiced up when the creatures appear and the silly military crap gets ditched, but there's little variation then as well. I think there's two different creature enemies and the one is basically just a smaller version of the other.

Most annyoing aspect of the game, of the nanosuit, to be precise, is that it talks to you whenever you activate one of the functions ect. It's horrible, in some situations you'll hear "stealth mode - engaged" or similar stuff ten times and more a minute and it cannot be turned off. What were they thinking?

There are a few zero gravity sections, I did like those a lot and even though I considered the enemies there to be kind of annoying, it was tense and fun.

Didn't think the graphics were all that spectacular as people made it sound and there were even frequent bugs and glitches. (In the graphics, gameplaywise, I only ran into one glitch with the end boss that was resolved by quitting and restarting the game. Oh, by the way, the final boss is super annoying, even on Normal difficulty.)

What else ...? Well, there's the story, but: LOL. No, really. Generic "ancient evil/alien attack" BS a B-movie would be ashamed of with ridiculous military crap and characters and dialogue so laughable, you'll wonder if it was meant as a parody.

Overall, I know I sounded mostly negatively here, but there IS fun to be had and there ARE interesting concepts in the game, like the stealth for instance, but for how generic and sometimes even boring the rest is I cannot rate this game any higher than "above average".
  2. Oct 25, 2011
    This game has aged well! Looks good and gameplay is about the same as Crysis 2. However Crysis 2 is a much better game and has improved. If you have never played Crysis then I would recommend you start right away with Crysis 2. In my opinion the first Crysis on the PS3 is for the fans who enjoyed Crysis 2 and want some more. I really could see people buy and play Crysis and afterwardsThis game has aged well! Looks good and gameplay is about the same as Crysis 2. However Crysis 2 is a much better game and has improved. If you have never played Crysis then I would recommend you start right away with Crysis 2. In my opinion the first Crysis on the PS3 is for the fans who enjoyed Crysis 2 and want some more. I really could see people buy and play Crysis and afterwards don't bother to play Crysis 2. Expand
  3. Oct 30, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I am not much in this genre so I did not know how to play it at first and it bored me but after some time I found a way to enjoy it. I really like part with tanks! Graphics is amazing. Expand
  4. Feb 13, 2015
    Not really a bad game but just not a game for me. I play it some time but than it just began to bore me. Yes the graphics still look really good but this only couldnĀ“t save this game!
  5. Jan 12, 2012

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 6, 2012
    While this version of Crysis comes sans multiplayer, it's also available for a budget price, and the single-player campaign alone is easily worth the price of admission. [Dec 2011, p79]
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Dec 29, 2011
    You run, sneak and drive around an island that is so beautiful that you would gladly trade in your weapons for swimming trunks and have the rest of the day off for some sunbathing. [Nov 2011, p.98]
  3. PSM3 Magazine UK