8.9

1. May 30, 2012
    I would prefer to give this game an 8.5. Great game. Love the multi-player component to it. It seemed more difficult than its predecessor, Demon Souls, to summon people however. I love that the story line was simple, diverse enemies and the look and feel of the game.
  2. Jun 16, 2012
    It's really, really good. Combat extremely hard, but incredibly satisfying; parry repast takes a lot of practice, but once you have it down, nothing makes you feel more suav. Loads of classes for easy customisation, you can truly be whatever you want! Bosses grotesque and huge, again very, very difficult, but each death spurs you on to try again (last boss took about 8 tries)! Armour looksIt's really, really good. Combat extremely hard, but incredibly satisfying; parry repast takes a lot of practice, but once you have it down, nothing makes you feel more suav. Loads of classes for easy customisation, you can truly be whatever you want! Bosses grotesque and huge, again very, very difficult, but each death spurs you on to try again (last boss took about 8 tries)! Armour looks incredible, as do high-end weapons, amazing graphics, fantastic atmosphere, and the boss soundtracks are second to none. Just watch out for the four kings! Expand
  3. Sep 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Dark souls is the best game ever.You may need to learn some stuff before you understand that.Dark souls is not for those expect easy game that holds your hand.Dark souls is usually fair (expect for bed of chaos)so when you die it is usually your own fault.I always remember my first time playing dark souls or demon's souls,in my first demon's souls walk-trough i hol-ded my shield always up.The lore of the game is really good.I am looking forward to dark souls 2 it's looking even better than dark souls 1 (not only in graphical mind) Expand
  4. May 4, 2013
    Dark Souls is a beautiful, fascinating game with a lot to explore and many deep ways to draw your attention. Brilliant game play systems, complex immersion elements, and a player-reliant approach to gaming put this far above any game I've ever heard of.
    It has taken up much of my life since its release and I eagerly await more games of the franchise.
  5. Mar 3, 2014
    Simply, the best game of the generation. Dark Sous is a combination of incredible game and level design, a deep and interesting story, perfect combat, amazing art and sound direction, and infinite replayability. Any true video game fan owes it to themselves to get this stunning masterpiece.
  6. Feb 20, 2014
    Relentlessly dark environments, difficult bosses, and the fact that you'll likely find yourself lost (reminds me of 2-2 in Demons' Souls). Compared to Demons' Souls, I really like the open world environment, as well as the graphics. Only downside is the frame rate in Blighttown. Overall a great game indeed.
  7. Sep 6, 2015
    - Enemies variety;
    - Levels design;
    - Boss battles;
    - Hardcore experience;
    - NPCs;
    - Dark Story;
    - Soundtrack;

-Framerate and Bugs (but the game is too good for negative)

10/10.

GOTY 2011.
  8. Sep 14, 2016
    Yes, I know. You either love it, hate it, or haven't tried it. If you belong to the latter group, here's what the game is: A battle. It is not relaxing, and it is not for those who give up because they can't beat every boss on their first try. Dark Souls is a masterpiece of a videogame, both in its gameplay, its way of telling a story and it's overall form. It is not just a game where youYes, I know. You either love it, hate it, or haven't tried it. If you belong to the latter group, here's what the game is: A battle. It is not relaxing, and it is not for those who give up because they can't beat every boss on their first try. Dark Souls is a masterpiece of a videogame, both in its gameplay, its way of telling a story and it's overall form. It is not just a game where you sometimes talk and sometimes fight, it's a game where you see things that are wierd or out of place somewhere, and then later see something else out of place somewhere else, but find a connection. It's a game where you look for the overall themes in buildings and the items you find certain places. this game really is a masterpiece in its rightful genre, no less, and it is worth a play. Expand
  9. Feb 2, 2017
    Dark souls is a complete triumph in almost every way. Games like this really push what is possible to do with the medium. As a form of entertainment,as a form of art and as a form of competition. This game is structured like a 3D metroidvania game,with a combat system that Zelda dreamed of having,art direction of a gorgeous fantasy horror,spot-on sound design and storytelling that couldDark souls is a complete triumph in almost every way. Games like this really push what is possible to do with the medium. As a form of entertainment,as a form of art and as a form of competition. This game is structured like a 3D metroidvania game,with a combat system that Zelda dreamed of having,art direction of a gorgeous fantasy horror,spot-on sound design and storytelling that could only function in a video game.There's a lot of lore to be told through the environment and item descriptions,which fit the game's ''dying world'' setting perfectly. The atmosphere is spot-on as well,giving you this constant sense of loneliness that makes the few characters you meet through your journey feel that much warmer and more lovable. Some of the characters you meet are either evil or on the brink of insanity,giving you a sense that this world is not the one to take prisoners. This is just one example of how Dark Souls' gameplay fits the story and atmosphere. It is deliberately slow-paced,forcing you to step into combat slowly and carefully and watching out for traps every time you enter a new area. The combat is very similar to Zelda,except not as dumbed down. There's no mandatory waiting,no items that you absolutely must use to defeat an enemy,just your weapon,your skill and your enemy. When they're holding up a shield,you can kick them,you can push them off a cliff,you can walk to their back,there's so many options.And all of them are presented organically,with no hand-holding whatsoever. The levelling system is also organic,with you having to spend souls(which are basically money) to level up one stat each level. There's no classes,the growth and focus of your character is completely unrestricted. All of this talk of freedom may make this game sound like it doesn't provide much of a challenge,but it absolutely does. We all know the game is hard,but it's not too hard,and the save/checkpoint system never feels like it's out to dick you over.Also,there's no arbitrary backtracking over huge empty maps. You get a fast travel system later in the game and the world is filled to the brim with detail,rather than being just a big blob of nothingness designed only to show off technology(coughubisoftcough)
    Finally,there's multiplayer,which works like this:You can summon another player into your game and you can either duel or go on a co-op prowl. You,of course,need good internet connection or the hit detection will be completely **** But when it works,it works like nothing else you've ever seen.
    This is,what I believe,to be the best game of all time.Go play it.
  10. Oct 11, 2011
    This game is amazing and extremely difficult. if you do not enjoy challenging games, like that of the NES era, then you will not appreciate the learning curve of this game. If you want a balls to the wall, hardcore 3rd person RPG, then dark souls if for you. Would highly recommend the strategy guide
  11. Dec 22, 2011
    Brilliant game -- if you like challenges, enjoy action RPGs, you should not miss this or its predecessor. Between the wide options of character design and PvP, should provide 100s of hrs of fun.
  12. Oct 17, 2011
    Simply awesome. I can't say enough about the level design. It is truely in a class of it's own. No warp system as seen in Demon's Souls, but instead you end up opening clever shortcuts so eventually you can get most anywhere in a matter of minutes. Also, plenty of out-of-the-way places to explore and find items/souls. The combat is exactly like Demon's Souls. Once you learn an enemy'sSimply awesome. I can't say enough about the level design. It is truely in a class of it's own. No warp system as seen in Demon's Souls, but instead you end up opening clever shortcuts so eventually you can get most anywhere in a matter of minutes. Also, plenty of out-of-the-way places to explore and find items/souls. The combat is exactly like Demon's Souls. Once you learn an enemy's moves it's more a matter of patience than anything, although bosses require perfect timing as well. They added tons of new armour, weapons, and items compared to Demon's Souls and they got rid of the 1/2 HP thing if you're not in body form. Now it's "Hollowed" and "Human" form. The only difference is you need Human form to summon/be summoned/invade. They also did away with the "world tendancy" mechanic of Demon's Souls which is great. Basically it's a simplified game compared to DS, yet retaining all the challenge and adding a lot more awesomesauce. Tons of mini bosses and unique enemies.

Only complaint is terrible framerate drops, especially in Blighttown.
  13. Oct 5, 2011
    Very similar to Demons Souls which is a little dissapointing. in some sense, i notice similar attack patterns and just a lot of the same thing. but there are new things too like the ability to leap from a sprint. but the world and story are brand new which i really like. bonfires act as checkpoints, tho there are few.
  14. Oct 15, 2011
    One of the best RPG's available deep and engaging, punishing but fair. The combat is satisfying and the open world is atmospheric. It would be an easy ten if it weren't for the frequent frame rate issues and graphical oddities.
  15. Oct 26, 2011
    This game is **** king. It shall give you a boner if you finnaly killed a boss and you can go further on the other way it lets your dick shinks because its **** hard and it it gonna eat you dick off. Firts of the graphics are really good for a open world RPG. Lighting shines beautefull at your armor and the environments are really detailled and different from each other. You need toThis game is **** king. It shall give you a boner if you finnaly killed a boss and you can go further on the other way it lets your dick shinks because its **** hard and it it gonna eat you dick off. Firts of the graphics are really good for a open world RPG. Lighting shines beautefull at your armor and the environments are really detailled and different from each other. You need to survive in scary caves or fight trough enemies at an abandon castle where dragons and other creatures are now boss. Also the enemies are verry differtent and detailled that you never got boring to slice these **** if you succed ofcourse:P. The gameplay is also fluwed and how your character swings the sword or cast magic is verry realistic. it is also a long game and it cost you at least 50 hours if your take your time and enjoy the wordl and not as that **** that completed the game in 90 minutes LOL. The only flaw that was iiritated me that sometimes enemies are dumb and fall of cliff or different. Also irritated but verry well done is that your souls are important so dont lose them if you die. A masterpiece and im gonna play now LATER . Expand
  16. Oct 21, 2011
    this game's difficulty is overrated.... It's not so difficult as everybody is saying.. It just has it's own original style, pace and approach to a gamer and gaming itself.. If You're the fan of God of ar style games where You rush through the game with your brains not involved in the process but only buttons snapping - this game is not for You..
    To be successful and enjoy the process You
    To be successful and enjoy the process You have to think and plan the route and tactics - and as a result You will be awarded with the great joy and sense of achievement.
    10 with no discussions!
  17. Oct 7, 2011
    My favorite game of the year so far, played demon souls but Dark Souls is so much better so far. Awesome environments, art style, the addition of bonfires, humanity, covenants, and so so much more. I am level 22 cleric now and dying to play when I get home even if I just scratch away at the rest of game. Skyrim can wait until I complete Dark Souls its that good.
  18. Dec 29, 2011
    A fine champagne of a game. I describe it as being kind of like Ocarina of Time with the difficulty of Zelda 2. Steep learning curve and requires a level of finesse that is missing from most games. You will die. It's no big deal. You will lose souls and "progress". Some gamers will turn the game off at this point. If this is you, don't bother with Dark Souls. To Dark Souls your concept ofA fine champagne of a game. I describe it as being kind of like Ocarina of Time with the difficulty of Zelda 2. Steep learning curve and requires a level of finesse that is missing from most games. You will die. It's no big deal. You will lose souls and "progress". Some gamers will turn the game off at this point. If this is you, don't bother with Dark Souls. To Dark Souls your concept of progress is illusory... the only progress that matters is the progress of your skills. Expand
  19. Oct 24, 2011
    Dark souls is a very deep and intense unique game. A truly must experience game or at least try it out a few hours , you will not regret the moment you start playing it you will start to feel something you have never experienced before in gaming, truly awesome i don't even need to tell you how amazing it is , but I'm sure you will not regret even trying it out since it's just uniquelyDark souls is a very deep and intense unique game. A truly must experience game or at least try it out a few hours , you will not regret the moment you start playing it you will start to feel something you have never experienced before in gaming, truly awesome i don't even need to tell you how amazing it is , but I'm sure you will not regret even trying it out since it's just uniquely different and awesome. Too lazy to review but really just give it a try you will not regret. : ) Expand
  20. Oct 25, 2011
    A good open ended RPG with a solid story, that improved on its predecessor in every way, if you can take the emotionally abusive relationship and rare bug (soon to be patched).

There is nothing really bad to be said about the direction of the game and every aspect feels very professional. The only complaints I can muster is 1) yes, it can be absurdly hard 2) there is the occasional bug, which they have obviously been patching, and 3) some enemy's life bars are far too large and makes some sections tedious. That said, this game is one of the years best.
  21. Nov 4, 2011
    Well, having never played Demon Souls the difficulty of Dark Soul's was initially a shock. However one of the main things I had heard about Demon Souls was that if you died it was through fault of your own, not thinking out something before you acted. There does seem to be quite a few times in Dark souls where this still holds true but there seems to be a bit of artificial difficulty inWell, having never played Demon Souls the difficulty of Dark Soul's was initially a shock. However one of the main things I had heard about Demon Souls was that if you died it was through fault of your own, not thinking out something before you acted. There does seem to be quite a few times in Dark souls where this still holds true but there seems to be a bit of artificial difficulty in this game such as One Hit AoE KOs purposely distancing bonfires far from certain points so the player will have to keep travelling things like that deliberately put in to frustrate the player and waste their time making the game longer and "harder". Overall though I found Dark soul's to be quite a fun game especially after killing a boss that has been kicking your ass over and over. There's something about Dark Soul's though, no matter how many times I got so angry and quit the game 10 minutes later I'd be back playing it determined it wasn't going to beat me. There are very very few games I've quit this much and came back to play. Aside from the odd moments in the game that seem to have been designed specifically to piss you off as much as possible dark souls is a great game with a lot of different play styles and great graphics. Although a lot of the story and dialogue seems to be lost unless you make an effort to patch it together yourself by talking to NPC's. I really enjoyed my time playing dark souls and will more than likely play it through several more times when i get the chance. A must buy for any one who likes a challenge. Expand
  22. Nov 10, 2011
    Deceptively simple controls but devilishly difficult to master. Sure you will die, a lot. But the charm of Dark Souls is in learning from your mistakes and overcoming the enemies that the game puts in your way. When you finally do beat one of the bosses it feels like a real achievement and it's been a while since a game has made me feel that way about overcoming an enemy. The game has it'sDeceptively simple controls but devilishly difficult to master. Sure you will die, a lot. But the charm of Dark Souls is in learning from your mistakes and overcoming the enemies that the game puts in your way. When you finally do beat one of the bosses it feels like a real achievement and it's been a while since a game has made me feel that way about overcoming an enemy. The game has it's faults the rag-doll corpses can be extremely distracting and the amount of work that needs to be put into levelling up can put off a lot of players. But this is a game that is worth every one of the many deaths that you will inevitably encounter. Expand
  23. Nov 10, 2011
    I have put in over 180 hours into this game and I am still loving it. I beat it once already and I am about half way through my second play-through. I really struggled on my first play-through, this is a hard game, but is also extremely rewarding to conquer. The second time through is much easier and is fun in a different way. I can solo most of the bosses at this point. It is stillI have put in over 180 hours into this game and I am still loving it. I beat it once already and I am about half way through my second play-through. I really struggled on my first play-through, this is a hard game, but is also extremely rewarding to conquer. The second time through is much easier and is fun in a different way. I can solo most of the bosses at this point. It is still hard, but easier. I plan to beat it at least 3 times and I hope that it keeps getting easier. It is rewarding to completely dominate an area/enemy that you really struggled to get through the first. I love this game, it is the best RPG I have ever played. Expand
  24. Nov 10, 2011
    Best game of all time period! In my mind I feel like I'm getting a similar feeling that when I first played Zelda back in nes days.... You are left on your own and you have a vast world to explore with tons of secrets... Multiplayer adds infinite value to the game. The game truly not as hard as they say if you learn from your mistakes.... Mainstream games dev should take notes and tryBest game of all time period! In my mind I feel like I'm getting a similar feeling that when I first played Zelda back in nes days.... You are left on your own and you have a vast world to explore with tons of secrets... Multiplayer adds infinite value to the game. The game truly not as hard as they say if you learn from your mistakes.... Mainstream games dev should take notes and try tto come up with new originals ideas in the future ! Expand
  25. Nov 10, 2011
    After completing the game twice and starting multiple other characters all adding up to a playtime of about 140 hours I believe I am ready to write a review. Let's begin with the graphics: they truly are beautiful. From the terrifying demons to the dark fantasy setting, everything looks simply awesome and completely fits the game. The controls are precise and easy to understand and veryAfter completing the game twice and starting multiple other characters all adding up to a playtime of about 140 hours I believe I am ready to write a review. Let's begin with the graphics: they truly are beautiful. From the terrifying demons to the dark fantasy setting, everything looks simply awesome and completely fits the game. The controls are precise and easy to understand and very responsive. Gameplay is simply fun in its great variety and multiple playthroughs of the game always feel different if you go for over character builds. The story is told rather subtly but is definitely there and very interesting if you decide to dig a little deeper into the game. Online interaction is a lot of fun, though there are connection problems sometimes at the time this review was written. However Fromsoftware is working on patches to fix such problems.
    This game is a definite and full recommendation for people who truly love games. Every success you have will make you feel great and you will be craving for more. Your first playthrough will last you about 70 hours and replay value is huge. In my opinion a possible GOTY.
  26. Nov 14, 2011
    Dark Souls is the second installment in the "Souls" series, being the predecessor of Demon souls, I expected a lot of rage induced logging off, and pure joy when finally defeating a Boss. This game simply delivers. Absolutely stunning graphically, with fantastic game play. There does not seem to be a disparity in the class system this time around.

The world is massive, and at times easy

The world is massive, and at times easy to get lost going from place to place. Bonfires keep the game interesting, and each mini boss defeated leaves you wondering how the hell the game could get any more creative with the next boss.

The multi player element is very well done this time around, and being summoned takes on additional responsibility and reward.

I highly recommend this game IF: -You consider yourself a hardcore gamer looking for the challenge of old, ruthless gaming where dying actually had consequences. -You truly enjoy a challenge, and dying 100 times in the same area does not get to you after a while.

-You enjoy a massive yet beautiful gameplay environment with many challenges.

-You are a massochist
  27. Nov 14, 2011
    I **** love this game, i played demon's souls for a very lot hours and I think that it was amazing, in all the aspects, and when I heard about dark souls i was very exited. It is like a demon's souls, some of the sounds and the movements are the same in the two games, but bigger, stronger, harder and much better, more weapons, more armors, more rings, more magic, more attacks, moreI **** love this game, i played demon's souls for a very lot hours and I think that it was amazing, in all the aspects, and when I heard about dark souls i was very exited. It is like a demon's souls, some of the sounds and the movements are the same in the two games, but bigger, stronger, harder and much better, more weapons, more armors, more rings, more magic, more attacks, more enemies, more bosses.... it is **** AWESOME, and the online is perfectly adapted to the game, it works fantastic. the only think i don't like, is when you are a **** zombie, you're so ugly, but this not afect to the game. Sorry for my english and thanks! Expand
  28. Dec 25, 2011
    My personal GOTY. Do not let the comments of difficulty scare you off. The combat is deep and punishes you, but it is never unfair. If you are dieing repeatedly, try different weapons and elements, or try going somewhere else and coming back later. I consider the souls games the new Castlevania games. The map is very large and lets you roam it pretty unrestricted, especially if you startMy personal GOTY. Do not let the comments of difficulty scare you off. The combat is deep and punishes you, but it is never unfair. If you are dieing repeatedly, try different weapons and elements, or try going somewhere else and coming back later. I consider the souls games the new Castlevania games. The map is very large and lets you roam it pretty unrestricted, especially if you start with the master key. The areas and bestiary are very varied, and each monster fights differently so you need to learn all of their attacks. While there are classes, It only affects your starting gear and stats, you can play the game however you want too.

The combat is incredible. Each attack feels real and heavy, and you never feel like you are safe. The online is pretty good except for the failed to connect invasions. These have been improved with the patches and will continue to be improved as well. My only big complaint is the FPS slow down in busy areas. Specifically in blighttown, this can be really annoying, but compared to all the things this game does right, its rather small.
  29. Mar 22, 2012
    First to note, DO NOT GET THIS GAME IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE IN FOR. This game is already established to be astoundingly difficult, and rightfully so, it can claim to be one of the most difficult games in modern era gaming. Someone who is looking for a good time, a good story or just to have fun will put this game down after just a few hours. The beginning of the game is like runningFirst to note, DO NOT GET THIS GAME IF YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU'RE IN FOR. This game is already established to be astoundingly difficult, and rightfully so, it can claim to be one of the most difficult games in modern era gaming. Someone who is looking for a good time, a good story or just to have fun will put this game down after just a few hours. The beginning of the game is like running into a brick wall, but after you get to the first bell ringing, the game begins to open up to become a much larger, much more enjoyable RPG. The combat is one of the most solid, fluid and challengingly simple battle systems I've seen on an action RPG. The careful micromanagement of your health, your stamina. And finding the right window to parry, block, attack and dodge is probably one of the most engaging things you could do. Every enemy is unique, and has their own little quirk that's key to taking them down as gracefully as possible. The bonfire system is a unique aspect, though also a somewhat frustrating one at the same time. Giving you checkpoints you head to so you could level up, and manage your items to prepare for the next step. Currency and experience is shared in a total pool listed under "souls" and while an interesting aspect. Time and time again you do need to see yourself grind to get a couple of your stats up high enough, if it's just to wear new and better weapons or equipment, get a new spell, or just get a small advantage against your adversaries. While more skillful players can progress while keeping grinding to a minimum. Less skilled players will be found doing this because it has less risk than going up against a powerful enemy, getting splattered on the ground somewhere and being forced to start over, going back to pick up the pieces of all your lost experience and coin.

The graphics? They're pretty good for a modern game, but to call them great or even the best would mark me as a liar. The facial models are horrible. God awful. When you're making your character. You have to spend time shaping their face and it makes me cringe about how deep into the uncanny valley these models sink into. The environment is both varied yet slightly repetitive. The above ground segments and level design is just brilliant. Making it feel like you're going forward, yet when you find a new path, it leads to a familiar area. It feels extremely well planned and very well thought out. Though at other times you'll just wonder how big this giant sewer you're in actually is as you spend time in it for hours and hours on end. The enemies in the game are.. well how do I put it? They can beat your ass. Every single enemy can take you out in just a few good hits, even with you wearing solid armor. They never let up OR go easy on you. You'll need your A game at all times to even consider beating them every time. If you get lazy or tired, these enemies you fought before can get the best of you. Making you rather angry you died to something you've beaten before. The boss battles are obviously both the most exhilarating aspect of this game, when the epic music begins to swell as you behold your behemoth sized foe, tossing about in an ever lasting game of david vs goliath. You with your slingshot, taking every chance you have at dealing a solid hit. It's just pulse pounding once you get past the 2 or 3 times they end up crushing you like a bug. If you do extra well, you even get special items.

PVP is just a blast to play sometimes. When someone invades your game and you spend minutes going toe to toe to see who is really best. Fighting off another person just made me smile in joy afterward. After hours of frustration for minutes of epic reward. This game is great but it still has a few flaws. It doesn't explain enough for people not familiar with this game type. The controls are slightly awkward to handle, and can be a bit clunky before you master them. It can piss you off at times with the fact it always has a brand spanking new way to piss you off. And because it clocks in at over 50 hours of you doing THE BARE MINIMUM during your first run. It can feel like you're making no progress for hours on end of repetitive combat. The plot is nonexistent, and made me disappointed they did not improve on the meat of the game, the force that drives you to set onward, a hope for progression and a feeling of closure that isn't there. Without the plot, it feels like there's no journey, just one big awesome dungeon crawl and the quest to find more loot. You'll find yourself here for hours as you try new and different characters, builds and equipment, so it has plenty of replay value on it as well.

Now you are asking yourself, Should I buy this game? My question is, why shouldn't you? One day this game will be seen as a classic, because it should be. I love it even if it hates me.

So yeah, go out there and get it if you found this review convincing!
  30. Jun 3, 2013
    A superb game with excellent hard combat system that gives you all means to defeat enemies in the beginning. Of course it's extremely hard with not so good weapons. The story is awesome and has that epic feeling in it. The multiplayer is greatly embedded in the game like when you see messages that other players have left. The music fits game pretty good. I understand that some players withA superb game with excellent hard combat system that gives you all means to defeat enemies in the beginning. Of course it's extremely hard with not so good weapons. The story is awesome and has that epic feeling in it. The multiplayer is greatly embedded in the game like when you see messages that other players have left. The music fits game pretty good. I understand that some players with 0 patience quit the game soon cause the die a lot but the game is extremely rewarding if you keep playing it and beating the harder enemies of course you can always summon someone to help but be careful for invaders when you're in human form. Expand
  31. May 25, 2012
    Dark Souls is in my opinion the best game of this generation, a current day realisation of the classic gameplay experiences of the 8-bit era. It's a game that pervades your psyche; you'll find yourself running through levels and boss fights in your head as you go about your daily business wishing you were playing it with the curtains drawn.

It is a difficult game, sure, but not unfairly

It is a difficult game, sure, but not unfairly so- rather it rewards player discipline and mastering of the tight combat controls. If you are a new player who is considering picking this or it's predecessor Demon Souls up, if you can get through the initial despair of dying multiple times before the controller has even warmed in your hands, you will find one of the most rewarding and memorable gaming experiences of the last 15 years.
  32. Jun 18, 2012
    My first (westernized) Japanese-published game, and I was completely blown away. After having accepted my fate of countless deaths due to clever traps, incredibly exciting bosses and monsters in general, I understood the world that is Dark Souls. This game will test you, and punish you for mistakes. You're going to be both laughing and crying as a result of the many, many deaths, but it'sMy first (westernized) Japanese-published game, and I was completely blown away. After having accepted my fate of countless deaths due to clever traps, incredibly exciting bosses and monsters in general, I understood the world that is Dark Souls. This game will test you, and punish you for mistakes. You're going to be both laughing and crying as a result of the many, many deaths, but it's all apart of the process.
    This game is really a gem, with choices that MATTER, being final and in many cases irreversible, and a multiplayer system that's completely different from what I was used to, but still fun and creative, allowing for both cooperative play and PvP.

I bought this game purely because of the fact that it had been described as the "hardest video game" (or at least the spiritual successor to just that), and I have NOT been disappointed!

I had to take one score-point off the perfect ten, because of the poor performance in Blight Town, which was a bit of an annoyance.
  33. Jul 18, 2012
    First of all i have to say that the story is not that good or epic. But the game play and the atmosphere is epic. First you have no clue where to go or what to do. No NPC that says go there kill X come back and then bla bla. You have all the choice's to make. The fight system is skill based so its very rewarding for skilled players and very punishing for lesser skilled people, but you getFirst of all i have to say that the story is not that good or epic. But the game play and the atmosphere is epic. First you have no clue where to go or what to do. No NPC that says go there kill X come back and then bla bla. You have all the choice's to make. The fight system is skill based so its very rewarding for skilled players and very punishing for lesser skilled people, but you get into it really quick. All in all its very good game for people who like this genre. Expand
  34. Aug 15, 2012
    This game is a HARD 10, there is no other series like the souls series in terms of smart, connected level design, brooding ambiance, and consistent controls. I cannot stress the quality of the controls enough, they are absolutely perfect. This is a game that makes no concessions for BAD PLAYERS. Repeat, if you are a bad player who has been spoiled by the glut of hand-holding, cooing sissyThis game is a HARD 10, there is no other series like the souls series in terms of smart, connected level design, brooding ambiance, and consistent controls. I cannot stress the quality of the controls enough, they are absolutely perfect. This is a game that makes no concessions for BAD PLAYERS. Repeat, if you are a bad player who has been spoiled by the glut of hand-holding, cooing sissy games that let you save anywhere without any consequences whatsoever, then GO AWAY. I wish I could stuff you all into a box and launch you into the sun, unfortunately that box would have to be **** huge considering that the majority of gamers seem to consist of these sissy man-children.

This game takes PATIENCE. There is no sprinting through levels, jumping around like a ****ing idiot collecting rings or coins or whatever, if you want to play one of those games, take your pick of the ump-dillion sonic and mario clones out there, this is a game for real people, this game will kick each and every poser's ass until they cry about it on metacritic about why they are such bad players.

NOTE: In the beginning, you WILL suck at this game, but if you are smart, you can get up to speed in just a few hours of play. It is extremely helpful to watch a few videos on how experienced dark souls players play the game. Remember, patience is the key. When traversing a new area, WALK. Dont sprint like an idiot, there could be curse basilisks around the corner or some other variety of ungodly horror's waiting to eat your souls.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm busy finding out what lurks within the depths of this dark tomb.
  35. Jan 27, 2013
    I LOVE THIS GAME.. I'll admit, when I first bought this game, I got rid of it within days. I bought it a few more times and had the same outcome.. About a month ago I bought it once more.. I still died alot but I decided not to give up.. I just started progressing further and further with each win over an area or boss felt like a victory IN LIFE. This games is the most rewarding gamingI LOVE THIS GAME.. I'll admit, when I first bought this game, I got rid of it within days. I bought it a few more times and had the same outcome.. About a month ago I bought it once more.. I still died alot but I decided not to give up.. I just started progressing further and further with each win over an area or boss felt like a victory IN LIFE. This games is the most rewarding gaming experience I have ever experienced. If you are a VERY experienced gamer well honed in the art of defeat and overcoming that defeat this is the game for you. Its beautiful, sounds great and doesn't hold your hand one bit. Expand
  36. mbx
    Jan 9, 2013
    This game is not meant to hold your hand. There is a plethora of strategy and fun to be found in this game, even while you are trudging your way along bowels of the world. It's lonely, yet it's not - the co-op and pvp make you feel like there is always somebody else struggling along, and the boss fights are simply amazing. This game is all about survival, and if you do survive, the gameThis game is not meant to hold your hand. There is a plethora of strategy and fun to be found in this game, even while you are trudging your way along bowels of the world. It's lonely, yet it's not - the co-op and pvp make you feel like there is always somebody else struggling along, and the boss fights are simply amazing. This game is all about survival, and if you do survive, the game rewards you and makes you feel like a true champion. Quite simply this is one of the best games ever.

Controls - 10
    Story - 10 (if you can piece it together (check out EpicNameBro's vids on youtube))
    Gameplay - 10 (tailored to your playstyle, 100%).
  37. May 19, 2013
    Dark Souls, like Demon's Souls before it, is a truly wonderful game. There is (excluding Demon's Souls, of course) no other game out there now quite like it.

That said, this game is not for everyone. Call of Duty and God of War this is not, and if you try to run through the game and mash buttons at your undead adversaries, you will have your behind handed to you in short order, and you'll deserrve it. If you have no patience, if you're easily frustrated, if you have a habit of throwing your controller when your character dies, this game is probably not for you.

On the other hand, for those who can brave the game's challenges, the rewards are nothing short of amazing. I'm not talking about what the game gives you, although the souls of bosses can be used to make some pretty nice weapons and armor; I'm talking about about the truly wonderful sense of accomplishment that comes from mastering the games challenges, and the unparalleled bragging rights that come from finally beating the game.

The story, such of it as there is, is forgetable, but this isn't actually a problem; you make the story yourself, going where you want and doing what you want, limited only by your ability to survive the denizens of whatever area you're exploring. This is actually a clever way to guide the player down a certian path; you are almost never limited in your choice of paths by the games scripting, its simply that unless you go a certian way you simply will not survive. This doesn't mean the game punishes exploration; quite the opposite, in fact, but it does require a change of tactics. Often a suicide run will reward players with a rare weapon or armor set, costing nothing but whatever souls the player happened to be carrying at the time. Death, you see, is never permanent in Dark Souls and you can even regain the souls you lost- provided you can fight your way back to your bloodstain and touch it.

There is no challenge within the game that cannot be overcome with patience, skill and -like any good RPG- a little grinding. Or, if you play online, you can enlist the phantoms of other players to help you. You can join covenants to earn rewards- and sometimes be summoned to fight off or hunt other players. If you're feeling evil, you can invade another player's game as a black phantom and try and make off with that player's souls or humanity.

There is no voice chat or messaging system in dark souls, and players may only communicate directly through gestures and this leads to a curious code of conduct where black phantoms bow to their defeated victims, a far cry from the indecencies and obscenities often directed at the vanqished in cames such CoD and Halo. Indirect communication is possible via an item called 'soapstone' which allows a player to leave a message in a certian spot that anybody playing online can see. Caution must be exercised, however, when one comes to a message that says something like 'treasure ahead' at the edge of a cliff. Not everyone is honest.

Dark Souls doesn't try to be anything other than what it is, and what it is is an experience that (once again, excluding Demon's Souls) is quite like anything else you've played, an experience that you will either love or hate. But no game is perfect, and Dark Souls is not without a few glitches. During my first playthrough, two minor bosses simply committed suicide, one of them while was half of the in-game world away. An undead rat got stuck in a wall, pieces of broken boxes were left suspended in mid-air and sometimes the bodies of defeated enemies got stuck around my character's feet for a few seconds as if they were rag dolls. Victory in one particular boss fight, Bed of Chaos, although not a bug in itself seemed to rely less on skill than simple dumb luck (although I persevered and was eventually victorious) and I came close to throwing my controller myself.

All in all, considering what Dark Souls is intended to be it is very hard to actually criticize it, and I loved every frustrating, agnoizing minute of it. And, in the end, if someone tells me "I beat Halo 4 on legendary" I'll reply "So?" But if they tell me they beat Dark Souls offline, their skills as a gamer will have earned my honest and instant respect.
  38. May 27, 2013
    I don't begrudge people rating this game as a 1 out of 10, I can completely understand why they would. It's hard, tricky and progress is very slow at first. But, then again, I wouldn't give a snazzy sports car a 1 out of 10 review just because I don't have a driver's license. Dark Souls is a very difficult game at first. If you've played Demon's Souls before it, then you shouldn't haveI don't begrudge people rating this game as a 1 out of 10, I can completely understand why they would. It's hard, tricky and progress is very slow at first. But, then again, I wouldn't give a snazzy sports car a 1 out of 10 review just because I don't have a driver's license. Dark Souls is a very difficult game at first. If you've played Demon's Souls before it, then you shouldn't have any troubles picking this one up as well as the game engine, combat and movement is more or less the same.

I paid less than €20 for this as I bought it a year or so after it was released. I am still playing it to this day and have racked up an astronomical amount of hours during multiple play-throughs. There is a wealth of items, armour, weapons, magic, enemies, bosses and environments to discover and mixing this in with an intriguing online play option, you are looking at a minimum of 70 100 hours per play-through.

Unlike in Elder Scrolls for example (which by the way I love as well), when you level up in DS the enemies don't. That gives you an incredible sense of progress, of becoming powerful, of slowly mastering the unrelenting world around you. You start to feel that those excruciatingly frustrating hours you'd put in have finally born fruit.

It's a challenge and will take up a lot of your time. It is hard though, it isn't for casual gamers. Buy the game if:

1 you want a unique challenge
    2 you want to experience a different kind of game to anything you've played before
    3 you have time and patience to invest

Do not buy it if:

1 you get frustrated easily
    2 you're looking for fantasy-themed hack n' slash action
    3 you're a casual gamer looking for something to pick up and play once in a while

Best of luck and remember, Praise the Sun!
  39. Jun 19, 2013
    Dark Souls isn't just a contender for the best game of its generation (it wins that accolade by a significant margin) but also for the best game of all time.
    It would appear that the vast majority of game developers today think that the average gamer has the IQ of a glass of water. Games have over-long, unnecessary tutorials, on-screen objectives so we don't get lost, pointless and immersion-breaking exposition via lengthy cut-scenes, bolted on multiplayer that most people ignore etc etc etc.

Dark Souls is a game that not only refuses to hold your hand but one that pushes you, blind, into a hostile universe with help you actively have to search for (via messages and NPC dialogue).

Dark Souls is a game that rewards careful, thoughtful and intelligent combat. It will severely punish the unwary, the over-confident and the unprepared.

Dark Souls is a game that tells a story in a way unlike any other videogame before it. One needs to explore every location, talk to every friendly NPC and read every item description if you are to have any hope in unravelling the mystery of who you are and what your role is in the gameworld.

Dark Souls is game with a brutal multiplayer mechanic. Players gain the ability to invade other players and when that happens to you as a beginner prepare to die. Fortunately the risk of invasion is tempered somewhat with the ability to summon other, perhaps stronger or better equipped or more skillful players for a limited time. Interactions are essentially randomized and the lack of voice chat means that friendships forged in Dark Souls are unique.

Dark Souls is a hard game for beginners of this there is no doubt and it takes most mortals upwards of 30 hours to get to grips with the intricacies of combat. But patience is rewarded and, from what I've heard or read, it appears that players wo lack patience simply cannot cope. Their loss.

The best game of the current generation? Absolutely. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING comes close to engendering the levels of emotion that Dark Souls does on a regular basis.

The best game of all time? Maybe.
  40. Aug 12, 2013
    One of the best RPGs I've ever played. After playing tons of boring RPGs designed for the "modern audience" this was a great break. That being said, this game really isn't that difficult. It's all about waiting for an opening and keeping your shield up basically. Some parts of it are a bit badly designed (Blighttown for the FPS problems) but I never found myself stuck on anything. ThatOne of the best RPGs I've ever played. After playing tons of boring RPGs designed for the "modern audience" this was a great break. That being said, this game really isn't that difficult. It's all about waiting for an opening and keeping your shield up basically. Some parts of it are a bit badly designed (Blighttown for the FPS problems) but I never found myself stuck on anything. That being said, the bosses were so much fun to fight and see. The combat is smooth and fun. And the controls are very tight. It's a great game and I'd recommend it to anyone. Expand
  41. Aug 27, 2013
    I am an absolute fan of the franchise, the game is challenging and brutal, teaching me something new every time I died. I loved experimenting with new builds, weapons and armors, making this game great for re-playability. PVP is brutal, especially if you do not know what to expect, and also gives the game a lot of uniqueness. However as much as I love this game, there are some issues, suchI am an absolute fan of the franchise, the game is challenging and brutal, teaching me something new every time I died. I loved experimenting with new builds, weapons and armors, making this game great for re-playability. PVP is brutal, especially if you do not know what to expect, and also gives the game a lot of uniqueness. However as much as I love this game, there are some issues, such as frame drops and some bugs and glitches, but you ignore it once it has consumed your soul. Expand
  42. Feb 25, 2014
    Best game I've ever played in my entire life.You should play this.But remember: the game is harsh at the beggining,MAKE SURE TO PAY ATTENTION IN THE TUTORIAL
  43. Feb 4, 2014
    Dark Souls is a unique experience, what it's predecessor Demons Souls tried to do Dark Souls did amazingly. To the casual crowd, this game will be extremely hard and terrifying, resulting in a rage quit. But a more experienced group of gamers, this game will be a diamond in the rough. Featuring a dark and disturbingly beautiful world where just about everything can and will kill you, aDark Souls is a unique experience, what it's predecessor Demons Souls tried to do Dark Souls did amazingly. To the casual crowd, this game will be extremely hard and terrifying, resulting in a rage quit. But a more experienced group of gamers, this game will be a diamond in the rough. Featuring a dark and disturbingly beautiful world where just about everything can and will kill you, a creative mix of exp and currency called souls and a dark and detailed lore coupled with detailed mechanics and stats this game offers an unforgettable adventure that you can play time and time again. Expand
  44. Feb 8, 2014
    El mejor juego que he jugado en años, al principio lo dejé, no entendía su dificultad, lo retomé al tiempo (después de leer cientos de artículos donde se elevaba a las nubes), puse una guía online a mi lado y se convirtió en la mejor experiencia de juego que he tenido en muchos años. Supongo que a su segunda parte jugaré sin guía, pero la primera vez que te enfrentas a un souls laEl mejor juego que he jugado en años, al principio lo dejé, no entendía su dificultad, lo retomé al tiempo (después de leer cientos de artículos donde se elevaba a las nubes), puse una guía online a mi lado y se convirtió en la mejor experiencia de juego que he tenido en muchos años. Supongo que a su segunda parte jugaré sin guía, pero la primera vez que te enfrentas a un souls la necesitas. Expand
  45. Mar 23, 2014
    I can't even begin to express the level of intricacy this game has to offer. The level of exploration in this game is one-of-a-kind, with a high punishment/reward system you get into the groove of! This was the game I kept crawling back to, MONTHS and MONTHS after I had gotten the platinum trophy on it. You owe it to yourself to buy this title.
  46. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is truly awesome when you play through the game your first few times but afterwards it gets boring very quickly. In comparison to Demon's Souls it doesn't really come close to how fun the PvE is but the PvP is what kept me playing Dark Souls for 2500+ hours. But after a couple years some **** stick created the "Mega mule" for PS3 and then everyone could make a character withoutThis game is truly awesome when you play through the game your first few times but afterwards it gets boring very quickly. In comparison to Demon's Souls it doesn't really come close to how fun the PvE is but the PvP is what kept me playing Dark Souls for 2500+ hours. But after a couple years some **** stick created the "Mega mule" for PS3 and then everyone could make a character without playing the game, basically taking the RPG element out of the game. And towards the release date of Dark Souls 2 hackers started coming out of the woodwork even though that is unheard of on PS3. Other than the fact that so many people ruined the PvP fun this game had really fun PvP and a good first time experience for the PvE aspect. Expand
  47. Aug 18, 2014
    A really good game that needs time and patience to learn. The cover does not lie to you in your first playthrough you will die a lot. The game itself is enjoyable and has a great combat mechanic that is easy to get use to. The visuals are great for example when you ring the first bell you can see where you came from and what's still waiting for you and the light effect are awesome.
    The
    The storyline is there but if you don't take your time you will miss it, so bear in mind that the item description is not just about stats and you can find stroy elements just by looking the scenery.
    The DLC is a must have so if you wish to purchase the game go with the Prepare to Die edition.
    The online PVP for me for the most time is a lagfeast but the online PVE is fun.
    Oh and skip Blighttown that place just kills your FPS on Xbox360 the PS3 is just a few FPS better.
    On PC beware the **** port so on that platfrom so a controller is a must have and don't forget to download a few mods that help the FPS issues on the PC.
    Overall a great game a must buy if you can find it, but be patient. The game helps you but if you rush you gonna have a bad time.
  48. Sep 2, 2014
    Dark Souls its a unique experience with all the tasty feel of reward that all we felt playing the classic action adventure games.
    Prepare to sweat; Dark souls is a difficult experience, but is not that hard, all you need is to be straight to surpass the learning curve, once you have dominated the gameplay, there is no boundaries to be the maximum undead in Lordran.
  49. Mar 25, 2015
    I LOVE this game, its fun, challenging and frustrating at times.
    And the replay ability in this is outstanding, A new build can sometimes feel like an entire different game
  50. Apr 14, 2016
    What an amazing game, wonderful landscapes, hard enemies, hardcore bosses.
    But is an unfair game, you should take care of your character if you want save all your souls.
  51. May 11, 2016
    It's as if this game was made for me personally. It's just so unique. Everything is fascinating about this strange world and their ihabitants. Every aspect and game mechanic fits perfectly together. The atmosphere is just awesome like you have never experienced one. A great mix out of nordic mythology and medieval times. The gameplay is perfect and demands much concentration but is at theIt's as if this game was made for me personally. It's just so unique. Everything is fascinating about this strange world and their ihabitants. Every aspect and game mechanic fits perfectly together. The atmosphere is just awesome like you have never experienced one. A great mix out of nordic mythology and medieval times. The gameplay is perfect and demands much concentration but is at the same time so rewarding. This game is so full of dedication and creativity that you just have to experience it for yourself. Don't reduce this game to it's difficulty, like so many seem to do. It's an important part of the Dark Souls - Experience but it's only one aspect of this unique piece of art. For me it's definitely among of my all time favorites on the same level as Ocarina of Time was twenty Years ago. Expand
  52. Jul 3, 2017
    I want to say I could not beat this game my first couple of runs. This changed when I played and beat Bloodborne, which presented a new outlook on how to approach the game. By now, many probably know about the difficulty of the series. While this is true, the other part of what makes this game good is how it teaches the player to handle that difficulty.

Dark Souls, in most cases, has

Dark Souls, in most cases, has some excellent level design. Enemies are often placed in great spots to make the player think about the current situation. The areas often loop around each other to make a world that feels truly connected. Music fits perfectly with each are as well. Traps exist, but many times are placed where the player can notice them, have time to react, or don't outright kill you. The environment is one that clues the player in and provides them with tools to succeed in encounters. The environment also plays extremely well with the healing system in Dark Souls.

Bonfires are placed throughout the world, and let you heal, as well as level up, and provides other things as you unlock them (enemies also re spawn after using them). You also return to Bonfires when you die, specifically the last Bonfire you rested at. Estus Flasks heal you by a certain amount, and refill every time you rest at a Bonfire. As you progress though an area, your Estus represents how long you can explore before needing to go back and refill. At first, you might lose a lot of health early on, but as you start to memorize attack patterns and the layout of the map, you can go further and further until your Estus remains at full.

You have various weapons to pick from, along with powerful magical abilities. Each leads to different combat styles. Combat in this game is great. Your attacks have weight to them, so you have to plan out when it is best to attack, keeping in mind the slight delay in each attack. You have a stamina bar, which depletes with every attack you make, every attack you block, when you sprint, and when you roll. You need to look at you stamina wisely to make sure you have enough to block/dodge an enemy attack, but also need to make sure you don't exert yourself and end up being open to damage.

Enemies are varied and are properly designed. Most of the time, you encounter enemies in a one on one environment, allowing you to learn attack patterns without worry of getting overwhelmed. You aren't usually put in a situation where you need to fight multiple enemies all at once. The Bosses of the series are quite famous. Bosses are non re spawning enemies that you usually fight one on one. They are often much larger than you and hit very hard. However, like all enemies, they have patterns that you can memorize and learn to exploit.

The key to leveling up is Souls. You can collect souls by defeating enemies and using certain items. Souls allow you to level up your character, buy items, and improve your equipment (provided you have the required materials). Upon level up, the number of souls needed to level up again increase. Of course, the number of souls dropped by enemies also increases. When you die, you lose all of your souls, as well as any Humanity you have (more on this later). However, if you are able to reach the spot where you died, you can find your Souls again. Dying before collecting your souls will make them disappear forever, so players need to be careful.

Humanity is a special type of item. Your character is an Undead, and typically in a hollowed state, but by using a Humanity, you are able to become Human. This changes things in a few ways. First, you are able to summon NPCs for some boss fights, as well as other players should you see their summon signs (you can also do this). At the same time, other player can invade, and attempt to kill you (which you can also do). If you die, you become hollow again.

Most of this have been about how the game functions and not about the story or lore. Dark Souls is not filled with characters that drive the story. For the most part, you simply go to different areas and kill things. However, the lore of the world is surprisingly deep, just not on the forefront of the game.Listening to NPCs and reading item descriptions can tell you about the world.

Now, this game does have faults. While the game typically has good level design, many of the later areas feel unfinished in some cases. People often say the game is always fair, which is not true. While the game is mostly fair, some cases are truly unfair and are just poorly designed. Hit boxes and awkward camera angels do exist. At one point, the game even breaks one of it's own rules (breaking lore and gameplay at the same time), and unless a player knows about a part before hand, they can lose out on all of their souls and humanity.

In all, Dark Souls is an excellent game. It makes you think better as a gamer, and has one of the best combat systems I have every played, coupled with seller level design makes this game a real gem. 87/100
  53. Jan 21, 2018
    perfect game
    there is 2 games that really influenced me
    1.legend of zelda ocarina of time 2.dark souls the way that from software designed the game is perfect.i like how different location squeezed in one map with a special complexity that makes it the game that it never will be repeat. fighting system is based on zelda series fighting system but better,more efficient and harder. a
    perfect game
    there is 2 games that really influenced me
    1.legend of zelda ocarina of time
    2.dark souls
    a little problem in animations but its not professional that we decide to add it as a problem.
    good visual effects and acceptable graphic.
    amazing weapons and souls instead of money or exp.
    i recommend this game for pro gamers
  54. Nov 10, 2011
    Superb in every way, it takes everything good that was in Demon's Souls and makes it better and more impressive. Stunning visuals, unparalleled sense of discovery (nothing feels quite like stumbling upon a boss or a shortcut or any other secret game have) and absolutely massive amount of content makes it one of 2-3 top games of this generation.
  55. Jun 16, 2012
    My all-time favorite game, but not without flaws. Dark Souls is deep, and immensely rewarding, even after 400+hours. The combat is weighty and strategic. The atmosphere is dark and foreboding. And no game offers such a sense of satisfaction as your advance through each level and boss. However, there are a few flaws. 1) Online suffers from lag, which rears its ugly head in the formMy all-time favorite game, but not without flaws. Dark Souls is deep, and immensely rewarding, even after 400+hours. The combat is weighty and strategic. The atmosphere is dark and foreboding. And no game offers such a sense of satisfaction as your advance through each level and boss. However, there are a few flaws. 1) Online suffers from lag, which rears its ugly head in the form of lagstabs during PvP. This can get frustraing. 2) Sometimes your attacks get queued at the worst moments (Your press "Attack" button, only nothing happens. A few moments later, your attack finally registers at the worst possible time, leaving you open for counter.) 3) Camera can get janky and lead to deaths, although this can be fixed in the settings. 4) Bed of Chaos.... enough said. Overall, the lag is my biggest complaint to an otherwise fantastic game. Expand
  56. Oct 13, 2011
    If you liked Demons' Souls then u will no doubt like this game as its more of the same but really improved. I wanna keep this short as i mainly wanted to argue points made by the negative reviews of this game. This game is without a doubt hard. It's meant to be hard. You are meant to die! If you make it through this game without dying then you're the messiah of the gaming world. This gameIf you liked Demons' Souls then u will no doubt like this game as its more of the same but really improved. I wanna keep this short as i mainly wanted to argue points made by the negative reviews of this game. This game is without a doubt hard. It's meant to be hard. You are meant to die! If you make it through this game without dying then you're the messiah of the gaming world. This game is all about patience and persistence, for those of you who haven't played Demons' Souls then it may take a while to get along the flow of the game. This game tries to be realistic, in a lot of games you can just run up to most enemies (even ones you've never encountered before) and just hack it to death. In this game you really have to be highly cautious, you gotta go in shield up and ready to dodge many attacks. This game is without a doubt trial and error but that doesn't necessary mean you have to die. You just have to play defense A LOT. I agree this game can be frustrating when it comes to bugs but as long as you're always cautious they dont cause too many problems. As for the guy who said the skeletons teleported ????? Maybe I haven't got to them yet but are you sure it wasnt just the fact that you have a poor internet connection. Anyways this game is really great and if you fancy yourself a good gamer and want a real challenge I would highly recommend it. Oh I would also like to say the visuals are very unique and pretty. I would say the one fault the game has is its story as there's a very simple plot. I guess the designers thought it better to just let the player immerse themselves into the game. Expand
  57. Oct 11, 2011
    This game completely took me by surprise, I thought it would be an decent game a very small group of people would like but I was way off. The game looks great with slowdowns here and there, the combat is satisfying and visceral, and the enemy types are so varied that I never got bored with fighting (I'm about 35 hours in). The bosses can be a pain, and at times feel a little cheap but thenThis game completely took me by surprise, I thought it would be an decent game a very small group of people would like but I was way off. The game looks great with slowdowns here and there, the combat is satisfying and visceral, and the enemy types are so varied that I never got bored with fighting (I'm about 35 hours in). The bosses can be a pain, and at times feel a little cheap but then when you eventually figure out the attack pattern, find there weakness, get a friend, or just power though them you feel invincible. The Items feel good, and there is a lot of them but what I like most about the items is they feel like they are worth something. Let me explain, in most RPGs I've played I would find a divine sword of great justice +5 and don't get me wrong I like that feeling too but it feels like and item, something I could find two steps over if I killed enough angry pigs. In dark souls though I feel like every item (save a couple, like the generic long sword) feels like it has a history, that it was actually forged and used by a legendary warrior before you. All this together makes this one of my favorite games and the best so far this year and even after 35 hours I feel cravings to play all day. Expand
  58. Jan 10, 2014
    Today, children don't have a healthy fear of crossing the road, or rickety bridges. This simulation game will guarantee they will learn to respect water, bridges, ledges, and anything that might be around a corner, or behind a door because if they don't, they will DIE!! This game may save our society as we know it.
  59. Dec 21, 2011
    This is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. This is one of the best games I've ever played. I love this game for it's deep game play and immersive atmosphere. It's quite a long game despite the fact you will die a lot. It is very challenging but incredibly rewarding when challenges are met. It kind of has an arcade feel as well with enemies respawning and trying to find patterns andThis is one of the best RPGs I've ever played. This is one of the best games I've ever played. I love this game for it's deep game play and immersive atmosphere. It's quite a long game despite the fact you will die a lot. It is very challenging but incredibly rewarding when challenges are met. It kind of has an arcade feel as well with enemies respawning and trying to find patterns and weaknesses of enemies. I call this game and Demon's Souls the Mega Man of RPGs. I can honestly say this is one of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Expand
  60. Oct 6, 2011
    I hope they never stop creating this kind of games. It's the rebirth of a genre and it's the best of it's kind. The toughness, the strategies, the possibilities, the graphics, the enemies, the combat, everything is as superior as you can get.
  61. Oct 4, 2011
    After an hour of game play from picking up this beautiful game at midnight, I have nothing but positive things to say. The graphics are amazing, the controls are much more precise than Demon's Souls were, and the enemies are no joke. An early warning for those who haven't played Demon's Souls; You are suppose to die, learn from your mistakes, and die again. I'm proud to say that I diedAfter an hour of game play from picking up this beautiful game at midnight, I have nothing but positive things to say. The graphics are amazing, the controls are much more precise than Demon's Souls were, and the enemies are no joke. An early warning for those who haven't played Demon's Souls; You are suppose to die, learn from your mistakes, and die again. I'm proud to say that I died only twice in my first hour, but without my previous experience with Demon's Souls, I would've died at least 10 times. I have a feeling that some Xbox360 players will be frustrated with Dark Souls more often because most of them didn't get a chance to play Demon's Souls. After work today, I plan on wasting my entire evening exploring Dark Souls, and possibly the next few months will be spent mastering this game as well :)

I have this game for the PS3, so if anyone wants to join up, just send me a friend request (PSN username is the same as this one here). Remember to have fun. Good luck to all, you're gonna need it.
  62. Oct 24, 2011
    Dark Souls is a masterpiece. While the game is exceptionally brutal and demands an equivalent discipline from the player, it rewards you handsomely for your efforts and, most of all, your patience and willingness to learn. Every two steps forward are accompanied by one step back as you crawl your way, painfully and slowly, through the gloomiest, most hellish environment ever created.Dark Souls is a masterpiece. While the game is exceptionally brutal and demands an equivalent discipline from the player, it rewards you handsomely for your efforts and, most of all, your patience and willingness to learn. Every two steps forward are accompanied by one step back as you crawl your way, painfully and slowly, through the gloomiest, most hellish environment ever created. Dark Souls pits you against yourself, not the game, demanding that you set aside your pre-conceived notions of gaming fun and, instead, embrace an insane difficulty and all the failure that goes with it. Once you do, the game sucks you deep into its abyss, swallowing your waking hours as you wander, hunted and afraid, with nowhere to go but further into hell. Make no mistake, Dark Souls will punish you time and time again but if you can accept death you will find the game open up before you like a yawning chasm, drawing you relentlessly inwards and onwards. Easily the best game I have ever played on the 360, Dark Souls is like a digital nightmare where, sometimes, jut often enough, you figure out how to master and crush the demons. Expand
  63. Oct 12, 2011
    This game is NOT for casual gamers. For anyone the played From Software's first title Demon's Souls you will know what to expect from DS. For newcomers however you are in for a surprise. This game is extremely demanding and does not mess around. This is a good thing .The visuals are second to none in the genre and the gameplay is as fine tuned as ever. A simple yet elegant control systemThis game is NOT for casual gamers. For anyone the played From Software's first title Demon's Souls you will know what to expect from DS. For newcomers however you are in for a surprise. This game is extremely demanding and does not mess around. This is a good thing .The visuals are second to none in the genre and the gameplay is as fine tuned as ever. A simple yet elegant control system makes combat smooth and satisfying. Yes, this game is extremely difficult. You are meant to learn from your mistakes. Deaths in DS do not feel cheap, you must be cautious going around EVERY corner. This is as hardcore as they come. And I have never played a more satisfying RPG. 60 bucks could not be spent on anything better! Expand
  64. Nov 10, 2011
    Next to the Elder Scrolls Oblivion this is THE best RPG you can get on PS3. The combat system is flawless and unique. Weapons carry a real feeling of weight and impact. New enemies send a chill up your spine and give you a good challenge, but are easily defeated at higher levels (like any solid RPG). Immersive, creative, damn near flawless fun. However some frame-rate issues in blight-townNext to the Elder Scrolls Oblivion this is THE best RPG you can get on PS3. The combat system is flawless and unique. Weapons carry a real feeling of weight and impact. New enemies send a chill up your spine and give you a good challenge, but are easily defeated at higher levels (like any solid RPG). Immersive, creative, damn near flawless fun. However some frame-rate issues in blight-town (maybe patched in the future) and little to no documentation of core game mechanics (except for user wikis) are both factors that hold this game back from its full potential. Expand
  65. Oct 18, 2011
    This game is stunning both in presentation, game mechanics, and controls. A spiritual successor to 'Demon's Souls', this game improves upon nearly every aspect of the former game (which was also a fantastic game). Let's talk difficulty - yes, it's tough. Really tough. But, it is also in most all cases fair. The game requires you to invest yourself into it in a way most games do not. YouThis game is stunning both in presentation, game mechanics, and controls. A spiritual successor to 'Demon's Souls', this game improves upon nearly every aspect of the former game (which was also a fantastic game). Let's talk difficulty - yes, it's tough. Really tough. But, it is also in most all cases fair. The game requires you to invest yourself into it in a way most games do not. You need to be observant of both your surroundings and enemies attacks. You need to manage what you are wearing and what is equipped at all times as different areas require different strategies and defenses. That being said, you have many options on how you want to build your character depending on your play style. The sense of accomplishment you get upon each new area you have mastered or boss you have defeated is glorious. You will die. Often. But, in this game, what does kill you - makes you stronger. You learn from each defeat and come back a little wiser and eventually a little stronger. When you come back to enemies later in the game that you thought were so difficult and now dispatch them easily, it's an awesome feeling. Do not miss this game and do not fear the challenge. It is worth all your efforts and is easily a game you can sink dozens of hours into (I'm 70 hrs in). The graphics and atmosphere draw you into a beautiful and terrifying world unlike any other. What's around that next bend...dare I look? Enjoy this instant masterpiece. Expand
  66. Oct 18, 2011
    Not as hard as some of the folks here are saying, while it does have its "difficult" moments, all that's required to overcome those is simply being patient enough to study attack patterns. It has just the right amount of challenge to keep players interested but in the end it's kind enough to let you through most of the challenges with just a little bit of trial and error, assuming you'reNot as hard as some of the folks here are saying, while it does have its "difficult" moments, all that's required to overcome those is simply being patient enough to study attack patterns. It has just the right amount of challenge to keep players interested but in the end it's kind enough to let you through most of the challenges with just a little bit of trial and error, assuming you're not just blindly rushing forward. Expand
  67. Oct 21, 2011
    Love the atmosphere of this game. Very immersive. I wish the character advancement was a little quicker. For me, most of the difficulty results in forcing me to play carefully and learning what is going to happen through trial and error which can feel a bit tedious and repetitive at times but also pretty satisfying when I successfully get past a difficult scenario.
  68. Oct 25, 2011
    Awesome game, exactly like demons souls to the point where this could be the 6th archstone and you'd never notice it was a different game.
    I'm about 120 hours of playing time in and am about half way I'd figure, this is mostly due to the fact that I try not to seek out hints or tips on the internet and try to figure out the mechanics and secrets myself (I find this is one of the most enjoyable parts about this game since there is almost no explanations without diving right in).
    The difficulty rating everyone is talking about is a bit exagerated, I don't count myself as a great player but with a little soul farming, learning from your mistakes, understanding game mechanics and weaknesses of enemies you can make it through fairly easily.
    Some say it is much harder than demons souls, I'd say that it is very similar in difficulty. If you find the game too hard then you are going the 'wrong' way.
    One of the things often not mentioned about this game are all the little secrets thrown in, tons of secret weapons and items, interactions with npcs and actions will affect your game in many ways you dont understand until later, you can fight and kill any npc in the game kill the wrong one and literally the sun will die and the world will go dark forever.
    Interactions with other players is unique with the ability to write messages on the ground from a huge list of hints and tips, you can invade another persons world or help them which is an awesome way of showing off your equipment and skills to other players.
    I'm giving this game a 9/10 for one reason...I think I've accidantally killed half the npcs in this game by swinging my weapon at the wrong moment and it is very frustrating that they dont de-agro or come back lol but seriously other than that it is an awesome must-have game, and demons souls too if you haven't played it.
  69. Oct 25, 2011
    Personally I'd like to thank From software for giving us a gem in an era of regurgitated, mindless crap. Not since I was a kid 25 years ago have I been so moved to press on after hours of repeated death and failure. When I die, I always know exactly what I did to get myself killed, and the rush of learning (THINKING) your way to success in such an awesome real-time combat system isPersonally I'd like to thank From software for giving us a gem in an era of regurgitated, mindless crap. Not since I was a kid 25 years ago have I been so moved to press on after hours of repeated death and failure. When I die, I always know exactly what I did to get myself killed, and the rush of learning (THINKING) your way to success in such an awesome real-time combat system is unparalleled IMO.

If you like a good challenge and put depth and precision of gameplay (combat) far above all else, you have to play this game.

I've been looking forward to nothing but Skyrim for over a year, and am pleasantly surprised to find myself thinking that Bethesda will have to pull off a miracle to make my game of the year. First time in years that I did not want my $65 back after a week.
  70. Nov 10, 2011
    great game didn't play the first one but I'm gonna pick it up today , and it.s not that hard you just have to be play carefully. I am on my third play trough and I'm still enjoying it.
  71. Nov 10, 2011
    Great game, it is very fun and challenging. I only gave it an 8 because the graphics engine is far from perfected. Water and stair steps significantly drop frame rates. There's also an infinite soul glitch that makes the game lose its value due to over powering your character. Luckily, the glitch is only possible if you KNOW what you're getting into. Another major turn off was that NewGreat game, it is very fun and challenging. I only gave it an 8 because the graphics engine is far from perfected. Water and stair steps significantly drop frame rates. There's also an infinite soul glitch that makes the game lose its value due to over powering your character. Luckily, the glitch is only possible if you KNOW what you're getting into. Another major turn off was that New Game+ lacked new items and souls. There are no "upgraded" loot, just the same loot as last play through. All and all its a GREAT game, but only worth about 100 hours of play. Expand
  72. Nov 20, 2011
    Best game ever!!! Loved Demons Souls and i am loving dark souls. Really good game, full of new things to explore and improve. Its not like games today that you just go and win, you HAVE to improve your skills, to chage strategy, to discover new ways to beat the game.
  73. Nov 11, 2011
    After completing an import version of Demons Souls i was in love.It was a modern game in the style of games back in the 16 and even 8 bit era. Where careful progression and trial and error resulted in massive satisfaction at nailing a section flawlessly and defeating a boss that had given you so much trouble, that when you finally plunged your weapon into his evil soul, it results inAfter completing an import version of Demons Souls i was in love.It was a modern game in the style of games back in the 16 and even 8 bit era. Where careful progression and trial and error resulted in massive satisfaction at nailing a section flawlessly and defeating a boss that had given you so much trouble, that when you finally plunged your weapon into his evil soul, it results in physical elation. Dark Souls in my opinion, grows on this massively. The atmosphere, scenery and level design keep you hanging on a knife edge of survival and fight or flight decisions. The enemy design is unparalleled, with each new encounter forcing you to change your tactics and weapon set to overcome the seemingly unsurmountable challenge before you. For the uninitiated this may seem unfair and/or frustrating but careful study of your enemy and a considered approach will eventually end in victory. At times it is disheartening and the loss of tens of thousands of souls that you wanted to spend on whatever your right hand is wielding is crushing but, i kept on and it just keeps on keeping on. You will get there and when you do victory will be all the sweeter. In an age of games that hold your hand, tell you where to go, what to do it is difficult to describe how important a game like Dark Souls is. It does have its glitches, mine seem to be either complete freeze, forcing a hard reset or a delay in button press to action taking place which at the time, in a game based on split second attack or defend mechanics, can be wretched. And as everyone says, framerate issues, especially in Blighttown. I still keep playing though, and for me there's not anything that even comes close to it in modern gaming. Well done From Software, youve made winter bearable. Expand
  74. Nov 13, 2011
    A great game, very addictive, will keep you entertained for hours if you have the patience, it can be frustrating at times but this game is hard not impossible. just dont around killing everyone like i did..
  75. Jan 16, 2012
    Let me start off by saying, I never played Demon Souls, but I certainly plan too after I'm finished with Dark Souls. I'm really enjoying this game I have invested easily 40+ Hours and I just got it 2 weeks ago. Now let me get in depth. This game drops you off in the beginning teaching you the basics of the game by orange messages on the floor. After the tutorial other players will leaveLet me start off by saying, I never played Demon Souls, but I certainly plan too after I'm finished with Dark Souls. I'm really enjoying this game I have invested easily 40+ Hours and I just got it 2 weeks ago. Now let me get in depth. This game drops you off in the beginning teaching you the basics of the game by orange messages on the floor. After the tutorial other players will leave messages making them vital, messages are really helpful they tell you whose ahead, if there's a treassure, a bosses weak spot, etc. but you also got your trollers telling you there's a bonfire(get into that in a lil), or a treassure ahead and it ends up being a black knight chasing you half way across the map. This game doesn't hold your hand one bit. In the tutorial you face a boss right away whose 20x's your size! And there is no way point, you need to invest some time exploring and farming a couple of souls. I honestly don't think this game is as hard as some people say it is, it's just challenging and a learn curve. I believe people say its hard because this generation of gaming developers hold your hand too much. This game does have some flaws which made me drop it a point. In a city named blight town the frame rate drops alot because of the city's environHment, I don't wanna give any spoilers so that's all I will say. But I recommend this as a must buy if your into RPGs. This should be scored a 9.0-9.5 easily Expand
  76. Nov 30, 2011
    READERS....BE CAREFULL...EXTREMELE ADDICTED GAME....This game is a brilliant surprise...with unforgetable enemies.., amazing landscapes..i dont have words to describe it.i ll say that the only negative for me,i think that graphics are very good but not excellent..
  77. Dec 7, 2011
    This is an amazing game with great combat and well designed encounters. Most boss fights are an extreme challenge and I enjoyed the equipment upgrade system. I'd say the only flaw is the lack of ability to reliably co-op with friends. The co-op system is weird and the messaging system seems to be completely broken. That keeps my score from being a 10.
  78. Dec 28, 2011
    I played Demon's Souls, so I can't say how easy it is for someone to get used to the controls, but they are very much the same. R1/R2 for weak/strong attack, L1/L2 for block/parry, and O for dodging/running/running jumping. Personally, I feel right at home with them. During online PvP, however, there is always a certain amount of lag that will often be the death of you if you don't haveI played Demon's Souls, so I can't say how easy it is for someone to get used to the controls, but they are very much the same. R1/R2 for weak/strong attack, L1/L2 for block/parry, and O for dodging/running/running jumping. Personally, I feel right at home with them. During online PvP, however, there is always a certain amount of lag that will often be the death of you if you don't have some sort of star-crossingly fast connection. During the normal single-player aspect of the game, the game can be very difficult and even frustrating, but not because of the controls. It's your fault if you don't try to master the controls of ANY game before going out to later areas. The undead and monsters that you fight are difficult, but each one has a specific moveset that can be blocked, dodge, or parried depending on the attack. Some enemies require you to use a special tactic, such as some fireball-shooting undead that spew poison upon death and need to be killed from a distance or kicked away at the end of a backstab. Learning these nuances can be frustrating, but fist-pumpingly awesome once you take down something that had squashed you like a bug a couple deaths ago.

The story of the game is there for those who look for it. Like everything in the game, it doesn't hold your hand with the story either. Talk to NPCs after every major battle and they may say something different. Look for pieces of the lore in item descriptions and piece them together yourself. Depending on which of the two endings you pick, it may be underwhelming, but you can always begin the game anew in New Game + and take a different route.

The graphics can be absolutely phenomenal, but only when looking at an area from a distance; up close, they can be sub-par. It isn't an open-world game for nothing, and damn if From Software doesn't provide us with some great views. The character customization... sweet Jesus the character customization. The face and skin tone choices at the beginning are not the greatest, but there is armor traditional for any and all builds, whether you're a magic-user, a warrior, a hybrid, or a holy cleric chucking lightning bolts. There is a way to craft any weapon to suit the needs of your character, although there are some game-breaking upgrades that the community generally looks down upon. Finally, there are more that sixty spells, divided into three different "schools" of Sorcery, Pyromancy, and Miracles. You can basically build any sort of character you want, from a healer focusing on cooperation with other players, a tank-like warrior, an nigh-invisible stealth fighter, a magic missile-firing sorcerer, a magic knight focusing on spells to enhance his melee combat, a half-dragon monk, or even a silly bugger who duel-wields SHIELDS.

I got this game on release day and have been playing it ever since. It isn't perfect, but it doesn't deserve any of the 0/10 scores that users have been giving it. If you can handle it, then it can most certainly handle you.
  79. Jan 28, 2012
    Dark Souls is a fantastic beautiful dark fantasy action role-playing game that requires patience and time to progress. The satisfaction you'll get from killing difficult enemies is unlike anything in any other game. The visuals and art design are detailed to the max and if you played the previous Demon Souls then you'll be surprised by the huge graphical overhaul this game has. Before IDark Souls is a fantastic beautiful dark fantasy action role-playing game that requires patience and time to progress. The satisfaction you'll get from killing difficult enemies is unlike anything in any other game. The visuals and art design are detailed to the max and if you played the previous Demon Souls then you'll be surprised by the huge graphical overhaul this game has. Before I end this review.. It's my strongest opinion that this game should of beat Elder Scrolls for the best RPG of the year.. Just Sayin' Expand
  80. Feb 28, 2012
    I was skeptic about this game at first, especially with all the comparisons to Skyrim. However I bought it and started playing it. This is one of the best gaming experiences I've had since the days of the NES. They just don't make quality games like this anymore. If you are a real gamer who enjoys the challenge of games, this is for you. Not for the casual gamer. You'll need lots ofI was skeptic about this game at first, especially with all the comparisons to Skyrim. However I bought it and started playing it. This is one of the best gaming experiences I've had since the days of the NES. They just don't make quality games like this anymore. If you are a real gamer who enjoys the challenge of games, this is for you. Not for the casual gamer. You'll need lots of strategy and enemy analysis to get through the whole game. The game is fun, immensely satisfying, and addicting! I'm 70+ hours into this game and not quite finished (on my first playthrough). Go buy this game! Expand
  81. Mar 7, 2012
    Dark Souls is one of the most misunderstood games of this generation, reported by the media as being one of the most difficult games of all time, a game whose difficulty harks back to the 8-bit era of video games. These statements I have a hard time agreeing with. Does Dark Souls give you a limited number of lives? No. If you die right after finding that Sword of Awesome, do you lose it?Dark Souls is one of the most misunderstood games of this generation, reported by the media as being one of the most difficult games of all time, a game whose difficulty harks back to the 8-bit era of video games. These statements I have a hard time agreeing with. Does Dark Souls give you a limited number of lives? No. If you die right after finding that Sword of Awesome, do you lose it? No. You do lose your souls, of course, but this is not permanent! You merely have to progress to the same point again to retrieve them. You did it once, didn't you? Now do it again. Simple! No, Dark Souls cannot be summed up simply with the word "difficult". It can be a testing game, for sure. To master Dark Souls requires the one virtue many gamers seem not to possess: patience. Patience to carefully traverse the world, navigating past the seemingly weak creatures while not allowing your frustrations to get the better of you. Patience to replay the segment you played just a few minutes before. Patience not to rush, to always keep your shield raised, and strike when your opponent is off guard. Patience. You must learn patience! If you're the controller-throwing type, this game might not be for you. But it is not the game's difficulty that is your enemy, it is yourself. There are some moments that might seem unfair, but these are almost always one-off occurrences. For example, the dragon that fire-bombs the bridge after you defeat the Taurus Demon - this will almost certainly kill every player's first time here, but it only happens once. When you return to collect your souls, the dragon does not attack again. The poison dart blowers in Blighttown? Once dead they never respawn, even if you rest at a bonfire. Same goes for the infamous pair of archers in Anor Londo. Take them down once and the area is forever yours (at least until New Game+). Sure, there are some bugs and frame-rate issues, but Dark Souls is not unplayable for them, as some might have you believe. Why do I like this game? Because Dark Souls has given me the most memorable game experience of this generation. I revelled in the intense atmosphere, tip-toeing through dungeons and sewers with my shield raised, invading others' worlds and being invaded. I enjoyed the time I spent helping other players defeat their current area boss. The time I spent pouring over weapon upgrade statistics at the various Dark Souls wiki sites, and tweeting incessantly about my latest victory, and when it was all over, all I wanted to do was start all over and do it again. 10/10. Expand
  82. Mar 12, 2012
    Dark souls is my personal game of 2011, superb combat, deeply immersive environments, singular online functionality more then outshine its sometimes inconsistent technicals. Exploration and challenging combat in this dark medieval setting is not to be missed.
  83. May 15, 2012
    My favorite game of 2011. I've invested more time in this than BF3, CODMW3, and Skyrim combined. I don't know what it is about this game that I love, the difficulty, the dark environments, or all the insane armor and equipment combinations and spells that there are. Def pick this game up if you've got lots of free time and love a challenge.
  84. May 17, 2012
    This game is a lot of fun and it has a great combat system. The boss fights are epic, you will easily find yourself playing this for dozens of hours. On the other hand, the controls feel unresponsive at times and the game has some camera problems, specially during boss battles.
  85. Feb 20, 2013
    This is the absolute best RPG of this generation. Story the story is very interesting and deep, it isn't told to you, you have to discover it by yourself, which increases the replay value by a lot. gameplay absolutely amazing if I were to explain everything now it would take way too long. Graphics on an artistic view beautiful on a technical view ok. Sound voice acting is fine but nothingThis is the absolute best RPG of this generation. Story the story is very interesting and deep, it isn't told to you, you have to discover it by yourself, which increases the replay value by a lot. gameplay absolutely amazing if I were to explain everything now it would take way too long. Graphics on an artistic view beautiful on a technical view ok. Sound voice acting is fine but nothing special but the music is just amazing from boss themes or just laying around a bonfire it's subtle and epic at the same time. Overall easily a 10/10 Expand
  86. Mar 26, 2013
    This is the best game of this generation. It nails gaming on so many levels. Yes, it's difficult for new players, but it gives the best feeling of success once you finally finish. Then play it through 100 more times!
  87. May 14, 2013
    This is an absolute amazing game. The combat is revolutionary--with the required timing of a parry and a followup riposte, the satisfying jab of a backstab, and the excellent customization system. Additionally, the multiplayer aspect of this game is wonderfully unique with the ability to play with other friends cooperatively or to engage in one of the most intense and rewarding Player vsThis is an absolute amazing game. The combat is revolutionary--with the required timing of a parry and a followup riposte, the satisfying jab of a backstab, and the excellent customization system. Additionally, the multiplayer aspect of this game is wonderfully unique with the ability to play with other friends cooperatively or to engage in one of the most intense and rewarding Player vs Player experiences on the PS3. This game may seem difficult at first but once you get the hang of it, it is exhilarating! I would recommend this game to anyone. Expand
  88. Sep 12, 2013
    Not as hard as it's hyped to be. People are just babies these days. This is the return of games that have an actual challenge that's all. Some people just can't handle having to eat for themselves.
  89. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is simply a masterpiece, incredible world dark-horror atmosphere, a sense of dread and beauty permeates the world, you are compelled to push forward through the brutal world of the game die and strangely come back for more. After i finished the game after 100 hours i re rolled another character straight away and continued on game+.... MASTERPIECE.
  90. Sep 4, 2014
    never have i played a more beautifully executed masterpiece- this game takes me right back to when games were difficult by default. i have sunk so many hours into both this and its sequel that it's invading my dreams, most of my thoughts pertaining to strategies, and how i'm gonna get through the next area, how i'm gonna fend off invaders and bosses alike and not since devil may cry 3 hasnever have i played a more beautifully executed masterpiece- this game takes me right back to when games were difficult by default. i have sunk so many hours into both this and its sequel that it's invading my dreams, most of my thoughts pertaining to strategies, and how i'm gonna get through the next area, how i'm gonna fend off invaders and bosses alike and not since devil may cry 3 has a game made me feel so good about getting that little bit further. it controls beautifully, encouraging careful play and varied tactics...
    there are only two problems i can think of with this game: framerate issues in blight town and oolacile township (DLC area) and poor multiplayer netcode, however, on the whole i would call this game near-perfect. a lovingly-crafted masterpiece of gaming, and it's a crying shame that the difficulty will turn some people off.
  91. Sep 12, 2014
    Dark Souls is a game that brings you back after hours and hours of trial and error. The enemy AI is decent and you learn their weaknesses fast. The setting and story is rich with lore and characters. Each area has its own feel and ambiance which leaves you looking around and discovering different set pieces. Bond fires are a great idea with tons of potential and they play a pivotal role inDark Souls is a game that brings you back after hours and hours of trial and error. The enemy AI is decent and you learn their weaknesses fast. The setting and story is rich with lore and characters. Each area has its own feel and ambiance which leaves you looking around and discovering different set pieces. Bond fires are a great idea with tons of potential and they play a pivotal role in the game. The bosses are difficult and after trying several times the player learns their attacks and how to counter them. The only downside to this game is the learning curb. After playing for hours upon hours I am still not a master of this game. It is difficult and without taking your time and slowly progressing you are bound to fail. Expand
  92. Apr 7, 2015
    the only reason the score I've given is an 8 is because some of the environments and late game areas are incredibly lazy, lame and unfinished. (lost Izalith, demon ruins.)

That said, It is a very very good game, especially if you ignore the glaring flaws later that come later on. the world design is unmatched with mind blowing short cuts connecting the environments to each other.

The combat is top notch and introduces mostly positive additions to the game from the past title demon's souls.

The boss fights are dramatic and exciting, fresh and challenging. O&S is possibly the best boss fight they have ever made.
    Though some of the later game bosses are incredibly easy though and less exciting I'm not sure why this happens (maybe the game was rushed a little too much during development).
    I won't fault From Software on the fact that many bosses and areas are just basically different versions of the ones from demon's souls e.g because they do hold up on their own and are unique experiences.

But the biggest critique I have that prevents me from seeing this as a perfect game like many of the fanboy reviews post is that some areas late into the game like lost izalith are terribly bare bones and unfinished. And then a place like demon's ruins is ruined (heh) by the lazy reposting of previous bosses and making them mobs. They just feel copy pasted into the environment for no reason other than they were lazy or out of time developing the game. Also wtf is up the repost of the asylum demon not once but twice into the game as later bosses, only adding a minor flame affect and/or making him larger in size. It is just lazy in these aspects which lowers the score.

That said it is still a solid game, only that it dips hard towards the end.
  93. Jul 4, 2015
    Don't be fooled by all of the people saying the game is difficult, it's really just a matter of comfort. Dark Souls takes a bit to get used to, but once you've got the controls down and you've figured out how to dodge, parry, and so on, the game turns into a straight up amazing RPG. Once you've gotten comfortable with Dark Souls, the only thing you'll be worrying about is what build you'llDon't be fooled by all of the people saying the game is difficult, it's really just a matter of comfort. Dark Souls takes a bit to get used to, but once you've got the controls down and you've figured out how to dodge, parry, and so on, the game turns into a straight up amazing RPG. Once you've gotten comfortable with Dark Souls, the only thing you'll be worrying about is what build you'll be making for your next play through.

The level design is top notch, as is the atmosphere. The world is incredibly well built, with everything making geographical sense. Not to mention, there's nary a single impossible space in this game.

My only real complaint, and a very light one at that, is that the lore and story may be TOO well hidden. Don't get me wrong, both the plot and lore of Dark Souls is great. I still find myself tearing up over Artorias and Sif. However, the only reason I know the plot and lore of this game is because of dedicated Youtube uploaders such as EpicNameBro, TeraMantis, and VaatiVidya (Pre-Patreon, that is...). Although I guess that just goes to show the amazing community around this game.
  94. Sep 21, 2016
    Dark soul's problems - of which there are many - get washed away in the torrent of euphoria that comes with each victory, whether minor or major. An excellent game that should be of no interest to most gamers, but the core it's designed to engage with won't be able to look at other games in the same way again.
  95. Mar 24, 2016
    There is only one thing about this game: it is unforgiven. A must have, one that will define your type of gamer forever. And DLC adds a lot of story, difficult battles and great places to visit. PVP? Well one of the best systems ever created.
  96. Mar 6, 2017
    Cool Game, but very hard and confusing. I often got lost in the mazelike castle. The story is very mystic and ittakes a while until you get behind it.
  97. Aug 11, 2016
    This game is a full masterpiece. Not just one of the best games of the year, but one of the best games of all time. With a breath-taking story and background lore, a punishing yet rewarding combat system and overall, a lore that will make you not want to kill your enemy. I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying that Dark Souls' lore and writing is actually better than lot of books and movies.This game is a full masterpiece. Not just one of the best games of the year, but one of the best games of all time. With a breath-taking story and background lore, a punishing yet rewarding combat system and overall, a lore that will make you not want to kill your enemy. I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying that Dark Souls' lore and writing is actually better than lot of books and movies. Definitely an audiovisual masterpiece. Expand
  98. Apr 1, 2017
    This review comes from someone who's first experience of a Souls game was Bloodborne and I'm sorry to all the purists out there but Dark Souls just doesn't hold up to the modern entries of the franchise. Controversial intros aside, this game is by no means bad, it's just not as refined it's successors. I absolutely loved Bloodborne and Dark Souls III, and I very quickly grew to love DarkThis review comes from someone who's first experience of a Souls game was Bloodborne and I'm sorry to all the purists out there but Dark Souls just doesn't hold up to the modern entries of the franchise. Controversial intros aside, this game is by no means bad, it's just not as refined it's successors. I absolutely loved Bloodborne and Dark Souls III, and I very quickly grew to love Dark Souls as well, but it did have some hurdles along the way.

This may well come across as arrogant but I have never found the Souls franchise to be difficult. I picked up the GOTY edition of Bloodborne in a sale and within just one week had unlocked all the of the games trophies. Soon after I picked up Dark Souls III on release and similarly completed everything the game had to offer without much difficulty. With these two games under my belt I figured picking up Dark Souls would be a piece of cake, even after a few Souls-free months, and sure enough I walked all over the games opening without a problem. It's from here on that things started to change. A positive remark is the game opens up immediately. I spent at least an hour struggling through the Catacombs getting my arse handed to me by respawning skeletons, wondering why an enemy so early on in the game was such a huge threat. Eventually I figured I had probably missed something and headed back to Firelink Shrine to explore some more. Sure enough my initial route was just one of three possible choices and I was already impressed. From here on though is where I started to get annoyed with the combat. Everything is just a little bit clunky in comparison to the experience I'd fallen in love with through Bloodborne. Dodging often sends you in the wrong direction, enemy attacks hit when they quite clearly should've missed and getting stuck on the environment was all too common. I'm perfectly happy for the game to kill me over and over if my performance is to blame, but failing due to poor game design is just frustrating. At the time of writing this review however, I'm approaching the end of the game and I've completed adjusted. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have even commented on it had I not played any of the later games in the franchise.

Overall, Dark Souls is fantastic. Some aspects of the game completely outshine it's successors and the rest are a solid basis that the later instalments have built upon over the years. I would personally recommend starting with Bloodborne and then returning to this game afterwards but no matter where you choose to start the franchise is utterly outstanding. Once you fall in love with any one of them you'll be hooked.
  99. Jun 25, 2017
    I absolutely adore this game, It is hands down one of the most thrilling games to experience. So If you haven't played this gem of a game, I implore you to go out and buy a copy of this game.

That being said although I enjoy this game to the ends of the earth. I cannot give it a 10/10 that is just lying to myself and to everyone else. This game has its fair share of problems for example.

- Blighttown/ Lower Anor Londo frame rate issues
    - The constant clipping of enemies through pillars and or walls
    - Some gimmicky fights that really have no place being in this game (ie. Bed of Chaos)
    - And trying to connect to other people online is practically impossible.

But it being one of my favorite games with all these issues should show you why this game is a must have. So when you do go pick up a copy all I can say is, "Prepare to Die."
  100. Oct 10, 2011
    Having beaten Demon's Souls, I was very excited for this game, and it has not let me down. Having the bonfires placed around as quasi safe spots reminds me of the old resident evil days, when you were just waiting to find a typewriter. The atmosphere is much darker even though the color pallet is (in many places) much brighter. Can't wait to finish it!

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 6, 2012
    It would be foolish of us to pretend that Dark Souls is a game for everyone. It's perfect at what it does, but a big part of what it does is make you suffer for your mistakes. It is a harsh, uncompromising task master and you will have to work to win its approval, because it certainly won't work to win yours. [Dec 2011, p74]
  2. Jan 5, 2012
    At the end of the day Dark Souls succeeds in producing a game that is both incredibly challenging and fair.
  3. Nov 29, 2011
    All in all, Dark Souls is a more difficult, but less enjoyable (and less accessible) Demon's Souls.