Dark Souls PlayStation 3

8.8

1. Aug 28, 2017
    Decidedly the best game I have ever played. Only thing that comes even close is Breath of the Wild. Not only is the gameplay the most addicting thing I have ever played but the game has such a unique melancholic atmosphere and way of telling its story through gameplay and environments, which makes itself a MUST play for everyone who consideres himself a fan of good video games. My hat isDecidedly the best game I have ever played. Only thing that comes even close is Breath of the Wild. Not only is the gameplay the most addicting thing I have ever played but the game has such a unique melancholic atmosphere and way of telling its story through gameplay and environments, which makes itself a MUST play for everyone who consideres himself a fan of good video games. My hat is of to this amazing game Expand
  2. Aug 23, 2017
    Dark Souls is what you might get if you crossed Shadow of the Colossus with the very first 8-bit Legend of Zelda. It's a wilfully obscure, challenging game that explains nothing and throws you into a hostile adventure world populated with memorable bosses, unforgiving enemies and kooky allies. It's hard to really capture how crazy this approach seemed in 2011, even after predecessorDark Souls is what you might get if you crossed Shadow of the Colossus with the very first 8-bit Legend of Zelda. It's a wilfully obscure, challenging game that explains nothing and throws you into a hostile adventure world populated with memorable bosses, unforgiving enemies and kooky allies. It's hard to really capture how crazy this approach seemed in 2011, even after predecessor Demon's Souls. This game basically made it acceptable for big-budget titles to punish, alienate and confuse players.

Once you get over the initial difficulty hump, Dark Souls gets two big things absolutely spot-on: Its world and its combat. The environments ooze with atmosphere, from medieval castles and churches to forests and swamps, and they all connect through clever shortcuts, ladders and secret passages. The combat is meaty, slow and highly strategic, forcing the player to make every sword swipe count and to carefully study the enemy's moves. This is not an open world game where you roam free with few consequences. It's terrifying.

Where Dark Souls is less successful is pacing. With very little story or character interaction, it can be sometimes frustrating and boring to run through the same areas several times to level up or to try and beat a troublesome enemy. Some parts will feel exciting and challenging, others tedious and cheap. The final act of the game is a real low point, with the designers peppering overly big, sparse areas with duplicated enemies and bosses. The 75-hour campaign could have been easily cut to 50.

it's the boss battles that ultimately steal the show. You'll fight giant gargoyles on the roof of a church; a sword-wielding wolf guarding a moonlit tomb; ghostly kings in a pitch-black abyss with no floor. When you finally beat such screen-filling baddies after several attempts, it's an intoxicating feeling. The peak of the whole game is the fight at the sumptuous and deadly sky palace of Anor Londo, which pits you against a giant hammer-wielding executioner and his lightning-quick companion. Nothing after that comes close.

Dark Souls is a unique and unforgettable experience. It should be played. But it's not perfect. There are lows with the highs, so be prepared before you step into the fog.
  3. Jul 16, 2017
    The first thing I want to say is that I managed to beat most of the bosses on the first try, with no online invocations or guides: Ornstein and Smough, Lunar Butterfly, Gaping Dragon and others.
    Ok. You start the game dying like a worm. You will have to repeat even games, because you had an error in creating the character or in some important part of the game. It will be my thing, you say, I will have to go higher than level ... or maybe I did not follow the right strategy, but the truth is that no matter how hard you try, you end up repeating some parts over and over and over, like a monkey through trial and error, with a feeling total wasted time and desperation for not being able to move forward. Worst of all is that you try because you know that could be one of the best games in history because of its aesthetics, its gameplay, its plot and everything that brings you the game ... but after 50 hours I can say that I keep dying like a worm, that the experience loads, break the rhythm and that I stopped enjoying it, to have fun (if I ever did it) And gentlemen, this for me goes against what are video games: fun , have a good time.
    I had never broken a game with my own hands, there is always a first time :) and it gave me more satisfaction than playing with it.
  4. Jul 3, 2017
    I want to say I could not beat this game my first couple of runs. This changed when I played and beat Bloodborne, which presented a new outlook on how to approach the game. By now, many probably know about the difficulty of the series. While this is true, the other part of what makes this game good is how it teaches the player to handle that difficulty.

Dark Souls, in most cases, has

Dark Souls, in most cases, has some excellent level design. Enemies are often placed in great spots to make the player think about the current situation. The areas often loop around each other to make a world that feels truly connected. Music fits perfectly with each are as well. Traps exist, but many times are placed where the player can notice them, have time to react, or don't outright kill you. The environment is one that clues the player in and provides them with tools to succeed in encounters. The environment also plays extremely well with the healing system in Dark Souls.

Bonfires are placed throughout the world, and let you heal, as well as level up, and provides other things as you unlock them (enemies also re spawn after using them). You also return to Bonfires when you die, specifically the last Bonfire you rested at. Estus Flasks heal you by a certain amount, and refill every time you rest at a Bonfire. As you progress though an area, your Estus represents how long you can explore before needing to go back and refill. At first, you might lose a lot of health early on, but as you start to memorize attack patterns and the layout of the map, you can go further and further until your Estus remains at full.

You have various weapons to pick from, along with powerful magical abilities. Each leads to different combat styles. Combat in this game is great. Your attacks have weight to them, so you have to plan out when it is best to attack, keeping in mind the slight delay in each attack. You have a stamina bar, which depletes with every attack you make, every attack you block, when you sprint, and when you roll. You need to look at you stamina wisely to make sure you have enough to block/dodge an enemy attack, but also need to make sure you don't exert yourself and end up being open to damage.

Enemies are varied and are properly designed. Most of the time, you encounter enemies in a one on one environment, allowing you to learn attack patterns without worry of getting overwhelmed. You aren't usually put in a situation where you need to fight multiple enemies all at once. The Bosses of the series are quite famous. Bosses are non re spawning enemies that you usually fight one on one. They are often much larger than you and hit very hard. However, like all enemies, they have patterns that you can memorize and learn to exploit.

The key to leveling up is Souls. You can collect souls by defeating enemies and using certain items. Souls allow you to level up your character, buy items, and improve your equipment (provided you have the required materials). Upon level up, the number of souls needed to level up again increase. Of course, the number of souls dropped by enemies also increases. When you die, you lose all of your souls, as well as any Humanity you have (more on this later). However, if you are able to reach the spot where you died, you can find your Souls again. Dying before collecting your souls will make them disappear forever, so players need to be careful.

Humanity is a special type of item. Your character is an Undead, and typically in a hollowed state, but by using a Humanity, you are able to become Human. This changes things in a few ways. First, you are able to summon NPCs for some boss fights, as well as other players should you see their summon signs (you can also do this). At the same time, other player can invade, and attempt to kill you (which you can also do). If you die, you become hollow again.

Most of this have been about how the game functions and not about the story or lore. Dark Souls is not filled with characters that drive the story. For the most part, you simply go to different areas and kill things. However, the lore of the world is surprisingly deep, just not on the forefront of the game.Listening to NPCs and reading item descriptions can tell you about the world.

Now, this game does have faults. While the game typically has good level design, many of the later areas feel unfinished in some cases. People often say the game is always fair, which is not true. While the game is mostly fair, some cases are truly unfair and are just poorly designed. Hit boxes and awkward camera angels do exist. At one point, the game even breaks one of it's own rules (breaking lore and gameplay at the same time), and unless a player knows about a part before hand, they can lose out on all of their souls and humanity.

In all, Dark Souls is an excellent game. It makes you think better as a gamer, and has one of the best combat systems I have every played, coupled with seller level design makes this game a real gem. 87/100
  5. Jun 25, 2017
    I absolutely adore this game, It is hands down one of the most thrilling games to experience. So If you haven't played this gem of a game, I implore you to go out and buy a copy of this game.

That being said although I enjoy this game to the ends of the earth. I cannot give it a 10/10 that is just lying to myself and to everyone else. This game has its fair share of problems for example.

- Blighttown/ Lower Anor Londo frame rate issues
    - The constant clipping of enemies through pillars and or walls
    - Some gimmicky fights that really have no place being in this game (ie. Bed of Chaos)
    - And trying to connect to other people online is practically impossible.

But it being one of my favorite games with all these issues should show you why this game is a must have. So when you do go pick up a copy all I can say is, "Prepare to Die."
  6. Apr 19, 2017
    This game is good and so challenging. I can't believe I played it for the first time only in 2017 after playing the other Dark Souls. For all those Dark Souls fans who have only PS4, therefore can't play the first Dark Souls. Buy an old console. This game is perfect.
  7. Apr 1, 2017
    This review comes from someone who's first experience of a Souls game was Bloodborne and I'm sorry to all the purists out there but Dark Souls just doesn't hold up to the modern entries of the franchise. Controversial intros aside, this game is by no means bad, it's just not as refined it's successors. I absolutely loved Bloodborne and Dark Souls III, and I very quickly grew to love DarkThis review comes from someone who's first experience of a Souls game was Bloodborne and I'm sorry to all the purists out there but Dark Souls just doesn't hold up to the modern entries of the franchise. Controversial intros aside, this game is by no means bad, it's just not as refined it's successors. I absolutely loved Bloodborne and Dark Souls III, and I very quickly grew to love Dark Souls as well, but it did have some hurdles along the way.

This may well come across as arrogant but I have never found the Souls franchise to be difficult. I picked up the GOTY edition of Bloodborne in a sale and within just one week had unlocked all the of the games trophies. Soon after I picked up Dark Souls III on release and similarly completed everything the game had to offer without much difficulty. With these two games under my belt I figured picking up Dark Souls would be a piece of cake, even after a few Souls-free months, and sure enough I walked all over the games opening without a problem. It's from here on that things started to change. A positive remark is the game opens up immediately. I spent at least an hour struggling through the Catacombs getting my arse handed to me by respawning skeletons, wondering why an enemy so early on in the game was such a huge threat. Eventually I figured I had probably missed something and headed back to Firelink Shrine to explore some more. Sure enough my initial route was just one of three possible choices and I was already impressed. From here on though is where I started to get annoyed with the combat. Everything is just a little bit clunky in comparison to the experience I'd fallen in love with through Bloodborne. Dodging often sends you in the wrong direction, enemy attacks hit when they quite clearly should've missed and getting stuck on the environment was all too common. I'm perfectly happy for the game to kill me over and over if my performance is to blame, but failing due to poor game design is just frustrating. At the time of writing this review however, I'm approaching the end of the game and I've completed adjusted. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have even commented on it had I not played any of the later games in the franchise.

Overall, Dark Souls is fantastic. Some aspects of the game completely outshine it's successors and the rest are a solid basis that the later instalments have built upon over the years. I would personally recommend starting with Bloodborne and then returning to this game afterwards but no matter where you choose to start the franchise is utterly outstanding. Once you fall in love with any one of them you'll be hooked.
  8. Mar 23, 2017
    Few games have tested my patience, focus, and willpower, to the point of psychological despair.

Fewer games have done all this, only then to unexpectedly reward me with far more elation, than I had ever anticipated. Dark Souls did not simply entertain me in my idle time. It forced me to examine my human potential for perseverance. And it gave me the strength to rise above my

Dark Souls did not simply entertain me in my idle time.

It forced me to examine my human potential for perseverance.
    And it gave me the strength to rise above my mental limitations.
  9. Mar 6, 2017
    Cool Game, but very hard and confusing. I often got lost in the mazelike castle. The story is very mystic and ittakes a while until you get behind it.
  10. Mar 1, 2017
    Одна из лучших игр, в которые я играл. На первое место тут отведён геймпей, и геймплей здесь просто шедеврален.
    Вся игра построена на том, чтобы игрок учился на своих ошибках, запоминал как двигаются и сражаются враги от обычных до боссов.
    Также невозможно не сказать про дизайн тех же врагов, боссов и локаций: Игра Японская, а они всегда делали самые великолепные и удивительные дизайны
    Также невозможно не сказать про дизайн тех же врагов, боссов и локаций:
    Игра Японская, а они всегда делали самые великолепные и удивительные дизайны в играх.
    Большинство локаций связаны между собой, пройдя немного по новой локации вы можете иногда видеть старые.
    Графика в игре отличная для 2011 года.
    Музыка выше всяких похвал, хотя до Demon's souls не дотягивает.
  11. Feb 2, 2017
    Dark souls is a complete triumph in almost every way. Games like this really push what is possible to do with the medium. As a form of entertainment,as a form of art and as a form of competition. This game is structured like a 3D metroidvania game,with a combat system that Zelda dreamed of having,art direction of a gorgeous fantasy horror,spot-on sound design and storytelling that couldDark souls is a complete triumph in almost every way. Games like this really push what is possible to do with the medium. As a form of entertainment,as a form of art and as a form of competition. This game is structured like a 3D metroidvania game,with a combat system that Zelda dreamed of having,art direction of a gorgeous fantasy horror,spot-on sound design and storytelling that could only function in a video game.There's a lot of lore to be told through the environment and item descriptions,which fit the game's ''dying world'' setting perfectly. The atmosphere is spot-on as well,giving you this constant sense of loneliness that makes the few characters you meet through your journey feel that much warmer and more lovable. Some of the characters you meet are either evil or on the brink of insanity,giving you a sense that this world is not the one to take prisoners. This is just one example of how Dark Souls' gameplay fits the story and atmosphere. It is deliberately slow-paced,forcing you to step into combat slowly and carefully and watching out for traps every time you enter a new area. The combat is very similar to Zelda,except not as dumbed down. There's no mandatory waiting,no items that you absolutely must use to defeat an enemy,just your weapon,your skill and your enemy. When they're holding up a shield,you can kick them,you can push them off a cliff,you can walk to their back,there's so many options.And all of them are presented organically,with no hand-holding whatsoever. The levelling system is also organic,with you having to spend souls(which are basically money) to level up one stat each level. There's no classes,the growth and focus of your character is completely unrestricted. All of this talk of freedom may make this game sound like it doesn't provide much of a challenge,but it absolutely does. We all know the game is hard,but it's not too hard,and the save/checkpoint system never feels like it's out to dick you over.Also,there's no arbitrary backtracking over huge empty maps. You get a fast travel system later in the game and the world is filled to the brim with detail,rather than being just a big blob of nothingness designed only to show off technology(coughubisoftcough)
    Finally,there's multiplayer,which works like this:You can summon another player into your game and you can either duel or go on a co-op prowl. You,of course,need good internet connection or the hit detection will be completely **** But when it works,it works like nothing else you've ever seen.
    This is,what I believe,to be the best game of all time.Go play it.
  12. Jan 21, 2017
    This game is really great and its almost feels bad becuz the graphics are really feels kind of outdated, But the gameplay is really great and it have those realy satisfying fluid controls and the "lock" mechanic really adds more fun,And the Soundtrack is really cool and awesome and even memorable,speaking of memorable have i mentioned the bosses?!,the bosses are ABSOLOUTELY PERFECTThis game is really great and its almost feels bad becuz the graphics are really feels kind of outdated, But the gameplay is really great and it have those realy satisfying fluid controls and the "lock" mechanic really adds more fun,And the Soundtrack is really cool and awesome and even memorable,speaking of memorable have i mentioned the bosses?!,the bosses are ABSOLOUTELY PERFECT DESIGNED and memorabel and every boss fight is really addicting BUT hard but thats wath gives the game its special charm And even every boss have his own soundtrack, and have i mentioned the environments?! OH MY FRICKING GOD! The environments are really memorable and sooo unique and great and every SINGLE place have its own creatures Wich are Soo well designed and memorable With terrifieng noises and Really pain in the A'S Abilitys...WATH IM TRYING TO SAY IS BUY THE GODDAMN GAME!....Or buy dark souls 2 or 3 they are so much better XD Expand
  13. Dec 19, 2016
    A Masterpiece. Replaying it in 2016 and still surprise me. All details, storyline, animations, it's astonishing. Another From Software great game that deserves to be played even by the people who skip it in 2011.
  14. Nov 19, 2016
    Awesome game
    Atmosphere here may turn you down at first: it's really punishing.
    Level design is masterful and mechanics feel really fresh.
    However, i can't give this game a 10 cause of technical problems and poor level design near the end of the game
    For the first half of the game it's a 10/10
    At last it can be a 6/10
    Average: 9/10
  15. Oct 27, 2016
    My experience with Dark Souls was a difficult one, for sure, as I'm sure it was for many an Undead. My first run through the game took me months to complete. I suffered through the beginning levels, unsure and afraid of what may lie ahead. I died over and over and over again. I put the game down many times, and actually took a hammer to the disc at one point. But in the end, I endured, andMy experience with Dark Souls was a difficult one, for sure, as I'm sure it was for many an Undead. My first run through the game took me months to complete. I suffered through the beginning levels, unsure and afraid of what may lie ahead. I died over and over and over again. I put the game down many times, and actually took a hammer to the disc at one point. But in the end, I endured, and once the game began to open up and I began to hone my skills, that's when Dark Souls took me in and truly made me realize what it was. You hear how it's "hard but fair" all the time, or how it's "rewarding" when you topple a hard boss or obstacle, and that is absolutely true. It feels good to overcome the challenges that this game provides, which are genuinely hard. Not artificially hard, like some other games would replace difficulty with. The game is about honing your skills. It's about learning the enemies and environments. It's about knowing what works and what doesn't. It's about sticking to your guns in the face of defeat to move in at the last moment and claim victory over the odds that seemed so impossible several runs ago. It's a game about being a tiny, helpless thing in the ruins of a once mighty world, piecing together what remains of the shattered world you find yourself captive in. It's about choices. It's about conviction. It's about choosing a path and walking it, no matter where it may take you and no matter how hard the journey may be.

Dark Souls is a fascinating journey, that, if you can make it past that beginning hurdle, will absorb you and trap you in a world where your only recourse is to just keep going. Don't stop. Just keep going. The path you've chosen is one you must travel no matter what may lie ahead. Should the whole world turn against you, your only choice is to just keep going. And when you reach your destination, you will look back on the trials and challenges you had overcome, and you will feel very small, but at the same time, VERY powerful. The kind of power that lies in your conviction; your determination. The power to endure and suffer through the darkest of times and the greatest of adversities. The power that says that you will not go quietly; that if you are to go down, you will go down fighting to the last, until your sword is shattered and your vision is blurry. And then you'll fight some more after that.

Dark Souls is one of those games that can make you think. It's a game that can indeed change a person, should they let it, and show them that there will always be challenges, many great and powerful ones, but none of them are insurmountable.
  16. Sep 21, 2016
    Dark soul's problems - of which there are many - get washed away in the torrent of euphoria that comes with each victory, whether minor or major. An excellent game that should be of no interest to most gamers, but the core it's designed to engage with won't be able to look at other games in the same way again.
  17. Sep 14, 2016
    Yes, I know. You either love it, hate it, or haven't tried it. If you belong to the latter group, here's what the game is: A battle. It is not relaxing, and it is not for those who give up because they can't beat every boss on their first try. Dark Souls is a masterpiece of a videogame, both in its gameplay, its way of telling a story and it's overall form. It is not just a game where youYes, I know. You either love it, hate it, or haven't tried it. If you belong to the latter group, here's what the game is: A battle. It is not relaxing, and it is not for those who give up because they can't beat every boss on their first try. Dark Souls is a masterpiece of a videogame, both in its gameplay, its way of telling a story and it's overall form. It is not just a game where you sometimes talk and sometimes fight, it's a game where you see things that are wierd or out of place somewhere, and then later see something else out of place somewhere else, but find a connection. It's a game where you look for the overall themes in buildings and the items you find certain places. this game really is a masterpiece in its rightful genre, no less, and it is worth a play. Expand
  18. Aug 25, 2016
    Dark Souls is an action role-playing video game developed by FromSoftware and published by Namco Bandai. A spiritual successor to FromSoftware's Demon's Souls.

+ Good Gameplay
    + Epic Bosses Fights
    + Online
  19. Aug 11, 2016
    This game is a full masterpiece. Not just one of the best games of the year, but one of the best games of all time. With a breath-taking story and background lore, a punishing yet rewarding combat system and overall, a lore that will make you not want to kill your enemy. I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying that Dark Souls' lore and writing is actually better than lot of books and movies.This game is a full masterpiece. Not just one of the best games of the year, but one of the best games of all time. With a breath-taking story and background lore, a punishing yet rewarding combat system and overall, a lore that will make you not want to kill your enemy. I'm not exaggerating when I'm saying that Dark Souls' lore and writing is actually better than lot of books and movies. Definitely an audiovisual masterpiece. Expand
  20. Aug 9, 2016
    Prepare to die. Prepare to cry. Lose yourslef in lore that rivals an MMORPG, dungeon exploration that is reminiscent of Metroid Prime, and boss battles that feel like you challenged God himself.
  21. Jun 2, 2016
    I'll give it a 10 although it isn't even my favorite in the Souls-series. It's really a great game and if you haven't played it I suggest you do so asap. The vertical level design is out of this world, as the game develops a V-shape of progression where the player starts at a sort of crossroads and then begins his haunting descent into the underworld, only to rise back again, now wiser ofI'll give it a 10 although it isn't even my favorite in the Souls-series. It's really a great game and if you haven't played it I suggest you do so asap. The vertical level design is out of this world, as the game develops a V-shape of progression where the player starts at a sort of crossroads and then begins his haunting descent into the underworld, only to rise back again, now wiser of things to come and stronger than ever. The dark medieval setting is intriguing and the bosses are probably the hardest and most interesting ones to fight in the whole franchise. There's no doubt that this will go down as one of the best games of its decade. Expand
  22. May 30, 2016
    i played a lot of demons souls and i did not expect the sequel to be better let alone this much better. I already gave demons souls a 10 and i would give this 11 if icould its genuinely one of the best games ever. Its is like demons souls in its narative it very mysterious and hard and thats the games appeal but that makes it only for certain people but once your into it its veryi played a lot of demons souls and i did not expect the sequel to be better let alone this much better. I already gave demons souls a 10 and i would give this 11 if icould its genuinely one of the best games ever. Its is like demons souls in its narative it very mysterious and hard and thats the games appeal but that makes it only for certain people but once your into it its very addictive. It does the same as demons souls errors with not so fun sections of the game but much less often. Expand
  23. May 11, 2016
    It's as if this game was made for me personally. It's just so unique. Everything is fascinating about this strange world and their ihabitants. Every aspect and game mechanic fits perfectly together. The atmosphere is just awesome like you have never experienced one. A great mix out of nordic mythology and medieval times. The gameplay is perfect and demands much concentration but is at theIt's as if this game was made for me personally. It's just so unique. Everything is fascinating about this strange world and their ihabitants. Every aspect and game mechanic fits perfectly together. The atmosphere is just awesome like you have never experienced one. A great mix out of nordic mythology and medieval times. The gameplay is perfect and demands much concentration but is at the same time so rewarding. This game is so full of dedication and creativity that you just have to experience it for yourself. Don't reduce this game to it's difficulty, like so many seem to do. It's an important part of the Dark Souls - Experience but it's only one aspect of this unique piece of art. For me it's definitely among of my all time favorites on the same level as Ocarina of Time was twenty Years ago. Expand
  24. May 9, 2016
    A turning point in the history of the modern RPG. Unparalleled atmosphere, character, environment, diversity and brutality. Simply put, one of the very greatest games that has ever been made on any platform.
  25. May 1, 2016
    The first in the dark souls series and arguably the best one because of its amazing visuals, fantastic soundtrack, amazing areas, great NPCs and heart beating mind blasting kicking your ass gameplay. The wide, expansive and interconnected world will cause you to explore every nook and cranny, and take note: what ever you look at in the world, most likely you can go there. Weapons lists andThe first in the dark souls series and arguably the best one because of its amazing visuals, fantastic soundtrack, amazing areas, great NPCs and heart beating mind blasting kicking your ass gameplay. The wide, expansive and interconnected world will cause you to explore every nook and cranny, and take note: what ever you look at in the world, most likely you can go there. Weapons lists and design are great although demon souls had a better line up. Boss fights are 5 times harder than demon souls and you will most likely break your controllers but gain 5 times the satisfaction for when you beat that piece of s***! If you have problems beating a boss you can call for backup, other people playing the game can be called to help you to beat the boss to lay the ultimate beatdown on the boss or vice versa. If this is your first souls game then you are in for a treat but be warned that in order to truly enjoy what this game has to offer you must first get past the learning curve. CASUAL GAMERS BEWARE Expand
  26. Apr 22, 2016
    Dark souls is gaming nirvana. The game is exactly what i would want from my perfect game. Not only the great combat, flowing level design, challenging but fair difficulty, and totally immersive environments, but the cultural impact this game has had on society is staggering. Giant dad, praise the sun and git gud all spawned from this game.

This is a game that comes along once in a

This is a game that comes along once in a decade. The magical feeling you get from playing this game for the first time, overcoming your first hard boss and the rush of adrenaline that comes afterwards, and finally piecing together that one part of the of lore you never quite understood, all come together to form this wonderful masterpiece of gaming and a definite milestone for anyone who wishing to be considered a hard-core gamer.
  27. Apr 14, 2016
    What an amazing game, wonderful landscapes, hard enemies, hardcore bosses.
    But is an unfair game, you should take care of your character if you want save all your souls.
  28. Mar 24, 2016
    There is only one thing about this game: it is unforgiven. A must have, one that will define your type of gamer forever. And DLC adds a lot of story, difficult battles and great places to visit. PVP? Well one of the best systems ever created.
  29. Mar 22, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. dark souls is incredible. It is a challenging game that will make you question why you are even playing it at times, but if you put the effort in to get through it, there are no other series out there as rewarding as the souls series. a lot of people love this game for its challenging and rewarding gameplay, but for me one of the biggest appeals for me is the cryptic visual storytelling that can be either a hit or miss for some players. If you take the time to look deeply at the themes of this game and how it is discovered through level design, music and item descriptions instead of dialogue, you may find this game to be an artistic statement on determination, loss, depression, desperation, and how all these themes some how become feelings that player will feel many times throughout the game, and truly makes this game a masterpiece. the only thing I have a problem with is some portions of the game are just straight up ridiculous and are simply there to really frustrate you( walking across a very narrow bridge while big nights shoot dragon slaying arrows at you to knock you off while they block your path on an even narrower ledge) and no longer feels fair. there are a couple situations like that in the game that keeps it being a 10 for me, but is still a masterpiece, a flawed masterpiece. Expand
  30. Feb 19, 2016
    Nice graphics (1 pt), bosses are original (1pt), clumsy controls (-1pt), awful awful caracter apperence (-1pt), no real story (-1pt), weird symbols instead of actual words we could understand in the weapon status (-1pt), fights that are basically ''all or nothing'', you do the fight perfectly or you get killed by1 shot or 2 shots (-1pt), almost no ingame information of where you areNice graphics (1 pt), bosses are original (1pt), clumsy controls (-1pt), awful awful caracter apperence (-1pt), no real story (-1pt), weird symbols instead of actual words we could understand in the weapon status (-1pt), fights that are basically ''all or nothing'', you do the fight perfectly or you get killed by1 shot or 2 shots (-1pt), almost no ingame information of where you are suppose to go or what you are supposed to do (-1pt), you lose all your progress when you die, and you die a lot, so you have to redo EVERYTHING again and again (-1pt), their is no pause button (-1pt) Expand
  31. Nov 28, 2015
    This game is truly exceptional. Characters, enviroments, levels, art, music and voice acting are great, but tied together with a weighty and hard-hitting combat system where positioning and timing are everything.

The game's approach to story and multiplayer are innovative (and since copied), adding to the rich atmosphere of a world on the edge of collapse while offering glimpses of the world beyond each individual stage.

Since release the PVP metagame has made Dark Souls a tough nut to crack online, but it's still an exceptional singleplayer experience and provides some fun and strategic PVP as well if you're willing to learn.

Without a doubt, my favourite game of all time.
  32. Nov 14, 2015
    This game is the anti-Skyrim. For me, good RPG's involve exploring beautiful worlds and interacting with them. Dark Souls trades those in for repeatedly trudging through boring, ugly stairwells, fighting the same respawning enemies over and over.

Skyrim is admittedly easy since you can save at any time, but I'd rather enjoy a game than be angry at the game 99% of the time and then finally be relieved I beat some boss after 50 tries and several attempts at backtracking to grind souls to level up. When you reach a boss and die, you shouldn't have to re-kill all the enemies you beat over the last 15 minutes to get back to the boss.

The camera is unforgivably bad. There are boss battles where you are instantly killed because you are in a tiny room and can't see what's going on, or you drop off a cliff because you can't see it.

Dark Souls really feels like an unfinished game. I'm not a graphics snob, but this game looks like a PS2 game. There is a lot of empty space and minimal interactivity. There are a lot of game mechanics and item systems that are never explained. But since the game constantly saves, your whole game is f'ed if you improve or sell the wrong item--or accidentally attack a blacksmith or other NPC when fighting something else.

If the only thing you care about is a challenge, then this is the game for you. The only positive thing I can say about the game is that it I appreciated the inter-connectivity of the level design.
  33. Nov 13, 2015
    Dark Souls is truly a unique experience. Releasing amongst a demographic of gamers who are used to playing games with little difficulty and little consequence for your failure, Dark Souls goes against the grain by not just making the player face tough obstacles and challenging gameplay, but also by punishing them every time they die or make a mistake. It takes you on a journey of pain butDark Souls is truly a unique experience. Releasing amongst a demographic of gamers who are used to playing games with little difficulty and little consequence for your failure, Dark Souls goes against the grain by not just making the player face tough obstacles and challenging gameplay, but also by punishing them every time they die or make a mistake. It takes you on a journey of pain but also great empowerment whenever you overcome its obstacles, and it’s certainly an experience I’ll never forget.

Dark Souls gameplay is hack and slash in its nature, but it doesn’t bode well to play it like one. In a game where getting hit three times by a standard enemy can kill you, Dark Souls is less about fast paced reactionary gameplay and more methodical planned out strategy. Scanning your enemy for an opening, striking when the time is right, learning how many hits he’ll take, how he reacts and finding out how to react to his counter is all key.

So many factors go into effecting your strategy as well. How resistant is your shield to physical and magical damage? Is it effective enough, or should you roll out of the way? Is the armor you're wearing light enough to allow me to dodge quickly but also strong enough to protect me? In Dark Souls unforgiving world, sometimes the only way of knowing if you’re strategy works or if you’re progressing is to go out into the world and see if you survive. In fact, in an area of three different branching paths, the only real way to find out which way is the correct way is to see which one doesn’t kill you within the first 60 seconds.

But, when you do die, Dark Souls is not afraid to let you know that you messed up. Killing enemies grants you souls which acts as both your experience points and your currency for buying items and weapons. Die, and you’ll have to travel back to your dead body to retrieve the souls you lost. Die before that happens, and they’re gone forever.

What makes Dark Souls so different is the game’s very own checkpoint system. Checkpoints are linked directly to fireplaces, which are your safe havens from your enemies. What I’m glad to see is that unlike Demon’s Souls checkpoint system of opening up shortcuts, Dark Souls’ fireplace system is so much more consistent. I never found an area where there was not a fireplace within two minutes running distance of another one, and often times, levels are smartly designed to incorporate shortcuts or opening paths previously locked off to you to make some fireplaces more accessible from multiple areas, and that’s the beauty of Dark Souls level design. Most of Dark Souls feels like one big cohesive level of multiple paths and areas, and by the end of it, you’ll easily have the whole map laid out in your head.

However, Dark Souls is not without its caveats. Even things that seem purely beneficial usually have some draw back. Even fireplaces, which do keep you safe from enemies and refill your healing flask, also revive all of the common enemies. It’s not a game that will hold your hand. For example, you can go around and try to find weapons, but you’ll soon discover the only real way to make a truly descent weapon is to find one that fits your play style and find a blacksmith to improve it using found or bought materials. Most of the time, the only way to proceed in Dark Souls is to truly pay attention to its environment, what it tells you, and you must adapt.

Overall, Dark Souls has it all. Challenge, unique gameplay, awesome boss fights, and smart enemy and level design which compels you to push forward despite your frustrations. So is the game perfect? No, it isn’t. Dark Souls does have its flaws that its fan base is all too quick to ignore. For example, one of the biggest annoyances is the lack of a pause feature. I understand Dark Souls intentions of removing this feature, but there were a few times during play, I had to get up immediately and walk out. A couple of those times I was in the middle of a battle and died as a result. From Software needs to realize that real life does get in the way of gaming sometimes, so a pause button is a must.

The other real complaint I have is the game’s promise of being challenging but fair, and I do applaud From Software for accomplishing that feature most of the game. I’d say 95 percent of the deaths were my fault, but there was the occasional cheap hit or badly designed level piece that got me killed unfairly. The lock on for example, causes a lot of camera issues when up against walls or low ceilings, and makes seeing your enemies difficult. They’re rare occasions, but they do happen.

However, any complaints I have don't dampen the experience and I did really enjoy Dark Souls. However I do conclude that it is not a game for everyone. It has its audience, and if you’re not into this kind of game and its particular style, that’s perfectly fine, but I – and a lot of other people – will remember Dark Souls for quite a long time as a really special game.
  34. Oct 24, 2015
    One of my favorite games of all time, especially the PVP fight clubs on twitchtv and other community events. This review was long overdue.....................................................................
  35. Sep 22, 2015
    Simply a masterpiece. Some technical issues on certain areas are easily forgiven thanks to the addicting gameplay and a masterfully realised level design. Dark Souls is unlike any other game that came before it (except Demon's Souls of course) and a perfect example of what a game can do in terms of narrative that movies and books just can't. It's not for everyone and that's ok, but if youSimply a masterpiece. Some technical issues on certain areas are easily forgiven thanks to the addicting gameplay and a masterfully realised level design. Dark Souls is unlike any other game that came before it (except Demon's Souls of course) and a perfect example of what a game can do in terms of narrative that movies and books just can't. It's not for everyone and that's ok, but if you like role playing games and challeging gameplay then this is a must buy. Dark Souls is one of those games that you don't just "play" but you also "experience". Expand
  36. Sep 19, 2015
    Understand the hype, the history, and the limitations before calling this game what it isn't. Play with patience or not at all. I play cause I'm bored.
  37. Sep 6, 2015
    - Enemies variety;
    - Levels design;
    - Boss battles;
    - Hardcore experience;
    - NPCs;
    - Dark Story;
    - Soundtrack;

-Framerate and Bugs (but the game is too good for negative)

10/10.

GOTY 2011.
  38. Aug 27, 2015
    PLEASE DO PLAY THIS GAME!!!!

Or at least, give it a second chance, like I did. I bought this game in 2011, played some hours and hated how much difficult it was. I could not understand why the enemies were respawning, why the bosses were so hard, why I had to keep dying... And I could not understand why so many people liked it. Then this Summer, I decided to give it a second
    PLEASE DO PLAY THIS GAME!!!!

Or at least, give it a second chance, like I did.

Then this Summer, I decided to give it a second try... and now I am loving it!!!

It is so damn fun to go around, scared by death to die because you have lots of souls in your bag and the next bonefire is god-knows-where, and you simply do not know what to expect next. Then you get invaded by some badass player that backstabs you before you even understand what's happening. You bite the dust, and there you are back up again. You learn from your mistake, and it is hard to describe the pleasure when you win your first PVP game, or when you kill a damn boss.

And yes, you die. A lot. but thrust me, it is really fun, you just have to watch it from the right angle.

(by the way, even if this game starts to be old, there is still quite a lot of people playing online. I guess this will change with Dark Souls III next year, so hurry up!!! Without PVP and CoOp I guess it is half as fun!)
  39. Jul 29, 2015
    Dark Souls delivers on all fronts, the game is insanely rewarding for how difficult it is. It pushes the player to do better and climb higher and achieve greater accomplishments while stood adjacent to despair. Make no mistake, this game WILL punish you until you do better, it will constantly beat you until you beat it back.
  40. Jul 4, 2015
    Don't be fooled by all of the people saying the game is difficult, it's really just a matter of comfort. Dark Souls takes a bit to get used to, but once you've got the controls down and you've figured out how to dodge, parry, and so on, the game turns into a straight up amazing RPG. Once you've gotten comfortable with Dark Souls, the only thing you'll be worrying about is what build you'llDon't be fooled by all of the people saying the game is difficult, it's really just a matter of comfort. Dark Souls takes a bit to get used to, but once you've got the controls down and you've figured out how to dodge, parry, and so on, the game turns into a straight up amazing RPG. Once you've gotten comfortable with Dark Souls, the only thing you'll be worrying about is what build you'll be making for your next play through.

The level design is top notch, as is the atmosphere. The world is incredibly well built, with everything making geographical sense. Not to mention, there's nary a single impossible space in this game.

My only real complaint, and a very light one at that, is that the lore and story may be TOO well hidden. Don't get me wrong, both the plot and lore of Dark Souls is great. I still find myself tearing up over Artorias and Sif. However, the only reason I know the plot and lore of this game is because of dedicated Youtube uploaders such as EpicNameBro, TeraMantis, and VaatiVidya (Pre-Patreon, that is...). Although I guess that just goes to show the amazing community around this game.
  41. Jun 16, 2015
    For a long tine i had this game sitting on my shelf waiting for me to play it. But when i did, i knew there was no going back. Right off the bat this game does feel like a old school hard rpg. This is most evident in the games tutotial which serves as the test. It will make or break the game for you. Once you escape the tutorial, you are free to explore this game's open world. WhileFor a long tine i had this game sitting on my shelf waiting for me to play it. But when i did, i knew there was no going back. Right off the bat this game does feel like a old school hard rpg. This is most evident in the games tutotial which serves as the test. It will make or break the game for you. Once you escape the tutorial, you are free to explore this game's open world. While exploring you are likely to find shortcuts to a boss, this serves as the games "checkpoint" system, allowing you to quickly get back to the boss with having to go through the level entirely. But the difficulty is where this game shines, gence the feeling of emmense satisfaction after finding said shortcut. The bosses will punish you if you dont take the time to learn their attack patterns. Even the low level enemies, when in a group, can easily overpower a player ten levels ahed of them. This games multiplayer is simple, if you are in human form you can summon another player to help, or if you are human and decide to take a stroll you might find yourself invaded by a red shade. Now, lets talk about this game's graphics. Even in 2015 the graphics still don't look to bad especially when going in the more visually stunning areas of the game, like Anor Londo, or The Painted World. But, the only problem with this game is the framerate. The framerate commonly drops below 15 when i play, especially in places like Blighttown or during the Great Grey Wolf, Sif boss battle. But besides that if you pay attention the Dark Souls lore is great, however you REALLY have to pay attention as this game tends not to blurt thing out like Demon's Souls did to an extent. So in the end the only things that really makes this game sink are the framerate drops and the way to the story is hidden in tems details to the point where it feels almost overdone. But aside from that, this game as you probably figured out, get a solid 9 out of 10. Expand
  42. Jun 2, 2015
    I know I must be missing something, but I do not understand why a game that re-spawns the same enemies with the same moves after leaving an area and returning can get such epic reviews. This game is based on grinding (always reminds me of South Park when they have to kill boars in the woods for days to get to a high enough level to do anything). I realized I am not a real gamer afterI know I must be missing something, but I do not understand why a game that re-spawns the same enemies with the same moves after leaving an area and returning can get such epic reviews. This game is based on grinding (always reminds me of South Park when they have to kill boars in the woods for days to get to a high enough level to do anything). I realized I am not a real gamer after getting bored with this game after a few hours, and if being a real gamer means not having a life outside of gaming so you can kill the same enemies over and over again...then I am happy being a non-real gamer. If you game for a casual escape from reality, this game is not for you. If you haven't seen the sun in months or have forgotten what year it is in the real world, fire this game up and let the boar slaughter begin! Expand
  43. Apr 29, 2015
    I'll be fair, this game has a truly amazing world, huge in scale and scope. Different paths can lead to different areas where you've never been and exploring and finding new things is amazing. The RPG element is solid, a solid level up system with your choice of stats and how you want to build your character. There are a staggering amount of items and some do hidden things that you mustI'll be fair, this game has a truly amazing world, huge in scale and scope. Different paths can lead to different areas where you've never been and exploring and finding new things is amazing. The RPG element is solid, a solid level up system with your choice of stats and how you want to build your character. There are a staggering amount of items and some do hidden things that you must discover by yourself. This game is hard. It takes me back to the SNES days of Super Ghosts n' Ghouls difficulty. The game and all of its bosses are very beatable, even if you're the worst possible build for it.

However, that is also it's downfall. While the world is expansive, I've put upwards of 40 hours in this game and have only seen maybe a third of it. The co-op element is a joke, I couldn't find anyone to play with or help me out of those especially tough situations that maybe my build just wasn't right for. If you watch the speed runners of this game, you'll notice that they all have one thing in common, they skip the exploration, they skip massive amounts of game play and they all have the boss mechanics down to the letter. This game punishes you for trying to figure out its secrets and the rewards are very little to none. Amazing sets of armor are left just lying around with no one guarding them and the item behind the 15 boss clones are usually worthless. The story is tough to figure out too, you're spending so much time grinding souls and avoiding the harder areas of the game that you forget what your goal was in the first place. NPC's are scattered around and some seem to have little purpose until a very specific trigger is met.

In short, if you're looking for a game to test you, this is it. If you're looking for a game to escape and relax, this is far from it. I do find the fact that you are not, by any means, powerful enough to kill everything by spamming the attack button like in a typical hack and slash refreshing. However, being the ant on the receiving end of a boot gets very old after a while as well. I, unfortunately, gave up on this game when I got to a point where one of the bosses has mini clones guarding absolutely nothing and got stuck behind them when I kindled the fire. I already killed this guy and he was tough enough, now I have to kill 5 for absolutely no reason? I gave it a fair shot, I farmed, I killed probably the first 1/3 of the bosses, and it just got old and boring after a while. I couldn't hoof the long haul but if you feel like you're up to the challenge, prepare for a time sink and grind fest.
  44. Apr 17, 2015
    The best of all the souls games, a perfect story for the perfect game. You just have to get over the amount of times you will die in this and all will be well.
  45. Apr 7, 2015
    the only reason the score I've given is an 8 is because some of the environments and late game areas are incredibly lazy, lame and unfinished. (lost Izalith, demon ruins.)

That said, It is a very very good game, especially if you ignore the glaring flaws later that come later on. the world design is unmatched with mind blowing short cuts connecting the environments to each other.

The combat is top notch and introduces mostly positive additions to the game from the past title demon's souls.

The boss fights are dramatic and exciting, fresh and challenging. O&S is possibly the best boss fight they have ever made.
    Though some of the later game bosses are incredibly easy though and less exciting I'm not sure why this happens (maybe the game was rushed a little too much during development).
    I won't fault From Software on the fact that many bosses and areas are just basically different versions of the ones from demon's souls e.g because they do hold up on their own and are unique experiences.

But the biggest critique I have that prevents me from seeing this as a perfect game like many of the fanboy reviews post is that some areas late into the game like lost izalith are terribly bare bones and unfinished. And then a place like demon's ruins is ruined (heh) by the lazy reposting of previous bosses and making them mobs. They just feel copy pasted into the environment for no reason other than they were lazy or out of time developing the game. Also wtf is up the repost of the asylum demon not once but twice into the game as later bosses, only adding a minor flame affect and/or making him larger in size. It is just lazy in these aspects which lowers the score.

That said it is still a solid game, only that it dips hard towards the end.
  46. Mar 31, 2015
    I can't think of a single other game (other than Demon's Souls) that's so purposely challenging, oldschool and meticulously crafted. Forget quest markers, dull NPCs spouting novellas full of dialogue and even duller codices crammed with useless information, Dark Souls throws that all out the window, and we're back to player driven exploration, the necessity of using your brain and yourI can't think of a single other game (other than Demon's Souls) that's so purposely challenging, oldschool and meticulously crafted. Forget quest markers, dull NPCs spouting novellas full of dialogue and even duller codices crammed with useless information, Dark Souls throws that all out the window, and we're back to player driven exploration, the necessity of using your brain and your eyes as well as the most devilish risk/reward system I've seen in a game for a long time. It's not for everyone though, and an unsuccessful first few hours will drive away everyone who isn't utterly compelled by the game. Expand
  47. Mar 25, 2015
    I LOVE this game, its fun, challenging and frustrating at times.
    And the replay ability in this is outstanding, A new build can sometimes feel like an entire different game
  48. Jan 30, 2015
    Ill do pretty much the same thing i did for demons. I like it because of challenge and concept, and thats all i can reckon.People say it has good graphics. No not really at all. It has a good art style. Graphics suck, framerate sucks, hit boxes suck.But like i said the concept makes up for it. I believe it is improved over demons and theres more content and better bosses. Oh yea and youIll do pretty much the same thing i did for demons. I like it because of challenge and concept, and thats all i can reckon.People say it has good graphics. No not really at all. It has a good art style. Graphics suck, framerate sucks, hit boxes suck.But like i said the concept makes up for it. I believe it is improved over demons and theres more content and better bosses. Oh yea and you probably will only like it if your hardcore. Expand
  49. Jan 6, 2015
    Not half as good as Demon Souls

- Introduced a retarded poise system making like light armor all but useless

-Took out the manna bar and replaced it with a D&D system which takes away from pure magic users

-Took out the stealth system (No Thief Ring) Yes there is a chameleon spell but you stick out like a sore thumb

-The new healing system is idiotic for grouping.
  50. Dec 4, 2014
    Great graphics, great gameplay, great soundtrack, great story.
    One of the greatest games in the action-RPG genre, if not the best. Aside from a few issues regarding lag while fighting against other players and a few bosses being sub-par, I have no complaints. This game is amazing.
  51. Dec 4, 2014
    I have put about 5 - 6 hours in and am still not sure about it myself... I haven't got far at all but I have played enough to realise why it is liked. A good sense of achievement after tough fights pushes you to go on even further, and the combat is great too! Lots of classes to choose from but most are for experienced players and not recommended for newbies.
    My main problem with the game
    My main problem with the game is how unfair it is. I didn't just pick it up with no knowledge about it, I have many games for most consoles and consider myself an avid collector/ gamer. I knew the game would be hard, and its not that which puts me off... Enemies pushing you off cliffs, backstabbers and losing your souls every time you die is what grinded my gears. Honestly I was planning to play more but just wasn't interested in going back after I left It a few days. Most gamers will enjoy this for its sense of achievement and great combat system, but personally I didn't find it as enticing as you guys. 6/10 because it was good for the most part, but I probably wont play it again for a while.
  52. Dec 1, 2014
    Overall, a nearly great game to spend 50 hours on (which it takes to complete). But after the last boss fights, it felt as empty and meaningless as any of the game's fights. The big takeaway never came. It's about the journey, not the ending cutscene. And the journey often felt like a grind. When I triumphed, it was rarely because of devious thinking, but because of brute-force. Leaving anOverall, a nearly great game to spend 50 hours on (which it takes to complete). But after the last boss fights, it felt as empty and meaningless as any of the game's fights. The big takeaway never came. It's about the journey, not the ending cutscene. And the journey often felt like a grind. When I triumphed, it was rarely because of devious thinking, but because of brute-force. Leaving an impossible area to grind somewhere else, and after that the impossible area is as easy as any in the game. The only time where I felt like I finally outsmarted the game was when I put on some lightweight armor to keep up with a fast boss. The secrets and the solutions are often readily available as soon as you find the right location. And that's where Dark Souls could have been something more. Letting the player reach goals fast by solving a problem. Instead, it's a bunch of largely linear paths that you MUST 'brute force', you only get to pick more or less convenient routes out of the bunch. This goes for both choice between areas and choice between for example two corridors. No matter what corridor you choose in Dark Souls, you will probably have to come back and examine the other one. Expand
  53. Nov 21, 2014
    This game can and will make you mad! Sometimes you'll have the feeling that some things are impossible!... But trust me, every time you kill a boss - best feeling in gaming! All i can say is a HUGE thanks to Namco Bandai for making this masterpiece! I bought the Prepare to Die edition and killed all mini,additional and required bosses! 90+ hours of gameplay and still looking forward forThis game can and will make you mad! Sometimes you'll have the feeling that some things are impossible!... But trust me, every time you kill a boss - best feeling in gaming! All i can say is a HUGE thanks to Namco Bandai for making this masterpiece! I bought the Prepare to Die edition and killed all mini,additional and required bosses! 90+ hours of gameplay and still looking forward for NG+ after completing Dark Souls II.... Now, i'm giving it a 9/10 because of some framerate issues on the PS3 and for some story weaknesses which i'm not going to spoil. The combat system is great, the map is huge and beautiful and the enemies are unique! PLAY this game if you like gaming, because it's without any doubt one of the greatest RPG's ever that will remain in history forever! Expand
  54. Oct 9, 2014
    Dark Souls

Game-play:The game play is slow and realistic with lot of different classes to play with i loved it.The game is very difficult so if you are not a hardcore gamer just stay away. Story:The story is the weak point of the game it is awuful. Graphics:The graphics fit the game perfectly. Notes:This RPG is very good and have lot of item and different enemy types a great
    Dark Souls

Story:The story is the weak point of the game it is awuful.

Graphics:The graphics fit the game perfectly.

Notes:This RPG is very good and have lot of item and different enemy types a great game a full price buy.
  55. Sep 12, 2014
    Dark Souls is a game that brings you back after hours and hours of trial and error. The enemy AI is decent and you learn their weaknesses fast. The setting and story is rich with lore and characters. Each area has its own feel and ambiance which leaves you looking around and discovering different set pieces. Bond fires are a great idea with tons of potential and they play a pivotal role inDark Souls is a game that brings you back after hours and hours of trial and error. The enemy AI is decent and you learn their weaknesses fast. The setting and story is rich with lore and characters. Each area has its own feel and ambiance which leaves you looking around and discovering different set pieces. Bond fires are a great idea with tons of potential and they play a pivotal role in the game. The bosses are difficult and after trying several times the player learns their attacks and how to counter them. The only downside to this game is the learning curb. After playing for hours upon hours I am still not a master of this game. It is difficult and without taking your time and slowly progressing you are bound to fail. Expand
  56. Sep 10, 2014
    This game is near flawless. Dark Souls tells you everything you need to know about it without saying a word. It is the definition of "show, not tell". Everything from the level design, to the enemies, item descriptions, boss appearances, gives you clues and tells you more about this universe. You can tell the makers of this game paid extremely close attention to everything that wentThis game is near flawless. Dark Souls tells you everything you need to know about it without saying a word. It is the definition of "show, not tell". Everything from the level design, to the enemies, item descriptions, boss appearances, gives you clues and tells you more about this universe. You can tell the makers of this game paid extremely close attention to everything that went into this game. The gameplay itself is very solid, and extremely rewarding. The game's sound design is possibly the best I have heard. I believe that anyone who comes with an open mind and invests some time and effort will find that is was well worthwhile. Expand
  57. Sep 4, 2014
    never have i played a more beautifully executed masterpiece- this game takes me right back to when games were difficult by default. i have sunk so many hours into both this and its sequel that it's invading my dreams, most of my thoughts pertaining to strategies, and how i'm gonna get through the next area, how i'm gonna fend off invaders and bosses alike and not since devil may cry 3 hasnever have i played a more beautifully executed masterpiece- this game takes me right back to when games were difficult by default. i have sunk so many hours into both this and its sequel that it's invading my dreams, most of my thoughts pertaining to strategies, and how i'm gonna get through the next area, how i'm gonna fend off invaders and bosses alike and not since devil may cry 3 has a game made me feel so good about getting that little bit further. it controls beautifully, encouraging careful play and varied tactics...
    there are only two problems i can think of with this game: framerate issues in blight town and oolacile township (DLC area) and poor multiplayer netcode, however, on the whole i would call this game near-perfect. a lovingly-crafted masterpiece of gaming, and it's a crying shame that the difficulty will turn some people off.
  58. Sep 2, 2014
    Dark Souls its a unique experience with all the tasty feel of reward that all we felt playing the classic action adventure games.
    Prepare to sweat; Dark souls is a difficult experience, but is not that hard, all you need is to be straight to surpass the learning curve, once you have dominated the gameplay, there is no boundaries to be the maximum undead in Lordran.
  59. Sep 1, 2014
    This game and Demon souls are the best games ever created. For ppl who can endure the struggle, it's worth the reward ten fold. I don't know any other game that can claim that.
  60. Aug 18, 2014
    A really good game that needs time and patience to learn. The cover does not lie to you in your first playthrough you will die a lot. The game itself is enjoyable and has a great combat mechanic that is easy to get use to. The visuals are great for example when you ring the first bell you can see where you came from and what's still waiting for you and the light effect are awesome.
    The
    The storyline is there but if you don't take your time you will miss it, so bear in mind that the item description is not just about stats and you can find stroy elements just by looking the scenery.
    The DLC is a must have so if you wish to purchase the game go with the Prepare to Die edition.
    The online PVP for me for the most time is a lagfeast but the online PVE is fun.
    Oh and skip Blighttown that place just kills your FPS on Xbox360 the PS3 is just a few FPS better.
    On PC beware the **** port so on that platfrom so a controller is a must have and don't forget to download a few mods that help the FPS issues on the PC.
    Overall a great game a must buy if you can find it, but be patient. The game helps you but if you rush you gonna have a bad time.
  61. Aug 10, 2014
    Seriously, any game you have played over 100 hrs at least deserves an 8, 9 or 10 rating. I'm going to go with an 8 rating because up until a certain point I had a great time but then this game lost my interest. The reason I have a love-hate relationship with this game is because the more I play Dark Souls the more I realize how bad it is compared to its inspirational game, Demon Souls.Seriously, any game you have played over 100 hrs at least deserves an 8, 9 or 10 rating. I'm going to go with an 8 rating because up until a certain point I had a great time but then this game lost my interest. The reason I have a love-hate relationship with this game is because the more I play Dark Souls the more I realize how bad it is compared to its inspirational game, Demon Souls. Demon Souls was crafted as a very cruel but fair encounter and for that reason very enjoyable. A game which required you to get better and learn some moves and all the enemies. What was great about Demons Souls was you could wiggle your way through it eventually by varying your strategies and paying attention to detail.....I cannot say the same about Dark Souls. I do love love how they made this game more open world concept, this is far superior in that respect, and I love all the new enemies so kudos there. However, Dark Souls was crafted as super annoying and really very limited in your approach to enemies. This game for me was a grind as i felt so many of the stats were meaningless and there was only one super approach to most enemies and bosses. For me this made the game unbearably annoying and boring. Online was a joke as the game is based on fatique and speed and lag ruins all that....constant backstabs out of nowhere. Not only that but defensive damage taken seems quite similar at level 10 as at level 115 with better armor.....(hello stats??? wtf??). Every area had at least one developer cheese area even if you knew the trap by an initial suicide run you were doomed to repeat a cheap area over and over. I cant actually say much nice about Dark Souls except it seems similar to Demons Souls. I find the end result a turnoff. I put in 200 hrs and it was fun getting to the realization point that this game is not a better version of Demons Souls, it actually is a worse spinoff of platforming memorization and a grind more than rpg. I didn't find the controls and weapons responsive to the same subtle degree as Demons Souls and consequently I just ended up becoming bored of this game. Unlike Demons Souls I feel that Dark Souls makes you grind ahead of playing a patient style of your choice. True, you do have to be patient but my point is as you grind you improve far more as a character than your choice of upgrading. Offensive stats seem to matter, defensive stats do not. On top of this I felt the camera and false locks ons were annoyingly broken as much or even more than Demons Souls where it also needed a huge amount of fix, and screen tearing was an issue in many battles in tight areas. Overall, I really enjoyed this game until I uncovered how bad the repetition of the game was caused by cheapshots and lack of responsiveness towards character upgrades, then it dropped off like a rock into pure boredom. It just got so old grinding levels and getting stronger stats per level than actually learning better combat and feeling those loot runs pay out. I'm having a hard time describing my complaint but what I'm trying to get at is as you level up you automatically become better at the game rather than the effort you put into say finding and chosing better armor and putting skill points into strength for example. I just don't feel the upgrades, just the grind. For me the game is so close to my expectations of fantasy rpg but not so much that I don't feel the software and development is also lacking and could use some upgrading. Expand
  62. Jul 14, 2014
    Just a great game for those willing to spend the time to take things slow. If you are a "Hack & Slash" type gamer, or someone lacking in patience or simply hunting trophies, Dark Souls will eat you alive.

As a general rule, if one enjoys solid game-play, great graphics, a good story-line and something that makes you think and keeps you on your toes, this RPG will offer that and more.

You will die, a LOT
    You will loose all your stuff, a LOT
    You will start all over, a LOT

...and if you love a challenge, you will like this game, a LOT.
  63. Jul 9, 2014
    THIS is what you call game, an old school unforgiving difficulty and totally rewarding, a vast connected world and cool boss fights, sure the story is simple and don't have much to say about but who cares when you get a game to PLAY rather than WATCH and get emotions, a very cool RPG game and one of the finest, totally worth my money, and yours :3
  64. Jul 4, 2014
    A truly unique game, that throws you into this mysterious world with no guided quests, or waypoints, it just lets you fend for yourself, while cowering round every corner in fear not expecting what to expect, Newcomers to the franchise may think the Game is weak with story, but it actually is filled with TONS of Lore (if researched), The games flawless combat makes you actually fightA truly unique game, that throws you into this mysterious world with no guided quests, or waypoints, it just lets you fend for yourself, while cowering round every corner in fear not expecting what to expect, Newcomers to the franchise may think the Game is weak with story, but it actually is filled with TONS of Lore (if researched), The games flawless combat makes you actually fight instead of just button mashing. The games strongest features are it's game design, everything seems connected as in I could still see previous places i visited from a distance.

A few issues were the menu's navigatation as you advanced further in the game it can get confusing
  65. Jun 21, 2014
    Gaming perfection. I put over 100 hours into my first playthrough and literally cannot wait to start again. Dark Souls is huge, its hard, and its hell. It offers a sense of accomplishment that no other game has given me. Immense bosses and hundreds of weapons to dispose of them with. A game world like nothing you have seen before. Artorias of the Abyss DLC is up there with the best DLCGaming perfection. I put over 100 hours into my first playthrough and literally cannot wait to start again. Dark Souls is huge, its hard, and its hell. It offers a sense of accomplishment that no other game has given me. Immense bosses and hundreds of weapons to dispose of them with. A game world like nothing you have seen before. Artorias of the Abyss DLC is up there with the best DLC ever, and it'll test even the most seasoned players. There is a story there if you want to take your time and pay attention to everything that you can read and everything you hear. I love it, yes its not for everyone, yes its hard, yes its unfair but god damned is it rewarding. 10/10 Expand
  66. May 22, 2014
    ===========
    ===========
    Do you like finding new things? Do you fancy the idea of no hand-holding? But do you hate starting all over again if you made a fatal mistake? Also do you hate grinding & repetition? But not the kind of grinding where you are furious of having to go through the same things again but the kind where you feel you are going somewhere & want to continue deeper?

If you answered 'Yes' to all of these questions then this game is for you.
  67. May 21, 2014
    I do not get it. When I heard all the great things about this game, I immediately went out to buy it. I regret ever spending money on it. This game taught me to do more research on games. I honestly think the only reason people like this game is because of how hard it is. This game is hard, but to me its slow, and boring. I creating every type of class in the game, and played through theI do not get it. When I heard all the great things about this game, I immediately went out to buy it. I regret ever spending money on it. This game taught me to do more research on games. I honestly think the only reason people like this game is because of how hard it is. This game is hard, but to me its slow, and boring. I creating every type of class in the game, and played through the game with the different classes just to see if i was missing something. Every time I did, I did not have any fun. I do not have a problem with a hard game. I just have a problem with a boring game, and this is a boring game. so if you are considering getting this game then rent it first. Because what people are praising this game for may be to only thing they like about it. Expand
  68. May 10, 2014
    I did not like this game but I still finished it (which seems to be relatively unusual). Aside from the difficulty Dark Souls is pretty average. Yes, it is good-looking and atmospheric with a large catalog of combat-related items to collect and manage but no new ground is broken here. The PVP system is an innovative idea but ubiquitous latency issues have essentially transformed it intoI did not like this game but I still finished it (which seems to be relatively unusual). Aside from the difficulty Dark Souls is pretty average. Yes, it is good-looking and atmospheric with a large catalog of combat-related items to collect and manage but no new ground is broken here. The PVP system is an innovative idea but ubiquitous latency issues have essentially transformed it into a griefing mechanic for invaders who like to exploit the laggy netcode.

The difficulty can indeed be refreshing but reaches diminishing returns when deaths that have little learning value start to pile up. These include, but are not limited to, frumpy hit boxes, oddly-clipping cameras, misinterpreted lock-ons and other things that are basically normal in an RPG engine but are occasionally pushed to the forefront in Dark Souls. Some areas and bosses become more tedious than challenging which takes away from the satisfaction of getting through.
  69. May 4, 2014
    Edge magazine listed this as a retrospective 10/10 in a recent article along with games like n64 goldeneye, and they are correct, I spent the same amount of time trying to crack this one, unmissable.
  70. Apr 27, 2014
    At first glance i didn't like dark souls because i played demon souls at a friends house once and got demolished so much it turned me off but years later i gave this game a shot and im glad i did. this is one of the most challenging games ive ever played, and as a hardcore gamer i can appreciate that because the feeling of accomplishment you get from beating enemies and progressing forwardAt first glance i didn't like dark souls because i played demon souls at a friends house once and got demolished so much it turned me off but years later i gave this game a shot and im glad i did. this is one of the most challenging games ive ever played, and as a hardcore gamer i can appreciate that because the feeling of accomplishment you get from beating enemies and progressing forward is indescribable. i get a physical adrenaline rush when i finally take down a tough boss that killed me 10 times over and its so satisfying. there is plenty to do in this game to, with numerous places to explore and things to collect within the beautifully designed environment. overall this game is one of the best ive played with a extremely challenging but rewarding system with great mechanics and beautiful level design. death is the ultimate teacher, and im willing to learn from it. Expand
  71. Apr 12, 2014
    This game is truly awesome when you play through the game your first few times but afterwards it gets boring very quickly. In comparison to Demon's Souls it doesn't really come close to how fun the PvE is but the PvP is what kept me playing Dark Souls for 2500+ hours. But after a couple years some **** stick created the "Mega mule" for PS3 and then everyone could make a character withoutThis game is truly awesome when you play through the game your first few times but afterwards it gets boring very quickly. In comparison to Demon's Souls it doesn't really come close to how fun the PvE is but the PvP is what kept me playing Dark Souls for 2500+ hours. But after a couple years some **** stick created the "Mega mule" for PS3 and then everyone could make a character without playing the game, basically taking the RPG element out of the game. And towards the release date of Dark Souls 2 hackers started coming out of the woodwork even though that is unheard of on PS3. Other than the fact that so many people ruined the PvP fun this game had really fun PvP and a good first time experience for the PvE aspect. Expand
  72. Apr 3, 2014
    This is probably my game of the year. Everything before the lord souls is exceptional, polished and exciting.

It is such an odd duck, a game with all the super hard, esoteric and weird gameplay elements from before gaming was spoon-fed to you, and from some little Japanese company too! I really cherish this game, even though it isn't perfect. I've given up on it twice, only to pick

I really cherish this game, even though it isn't perfect. I've given up on it twice, only to pick it back up.

The secret is just not to worry about losing, take a look around and explore: you can't lose anything that can't be remade in an hour or less if you go punch a boss. Try to trade blows with enemies as little as possible, upgrade your weapons and keep one that scales well with your stats!
  73. Mar 31, 2014
    While there may be a lot more content and more action involving online aspects compared to Demon's Souls, there's the feeling that Dark Souls is an incomplete game, and this is due to the fact that almost a third of the game is completely rushed due to time constraints. The hyped up difficulty also seems to vary from person to person. Dark Souls is essentially a more opened world Demon'sWhile there may be a lot more content and more action involving online aspects compared to Demon's Souls, there's the feeling that Dark Souls is an incomplete game, and this is due to the fact that almost a third of the game is completely rushed due to time constraints. The hyped up difficulty also seems to vary from person to person. Dark Souls is essentially a more opened world Demon's Souls with a lot more content, though there are many issues involving frame-rate and glitching throughout the game. Although Dark Souls is a good game, it does not hold a candle to Demon's Souls. Expand
  74. Mar 23, 2014
    I can't even begin to express the level of intricacy this game has to offer. The level of exploration in this game is one-of-a-kind, with a high punishment/reward system you get into the groove of! This was the game I kept crawling back to, MONTHS and MONTHS after I had gotten the platinum trophy on it. You owe it to yourself to buy this title.
  75. Mar 19, 2014
    Best RPG I've ever played. game has it all. Best level design, nice graphics, Multiplayer, even tho I didn't like it. weapon crafting system is the beast. a ton of weapons and items. I correct what I said. Best game I've ever played. thank you From Software for this work of game.
  76. Mar 12, 2014
    Praise the Sun! Praise the Sun! Praise the Sun! Praise the Sun! Praise the Sun! Praise the Sun! Praise the Sun! Praise the Sun! Praise the Sun! Praise the Sun!
  77. Mar 9, 2014
    The bonfire system is an improvement to the nexus system from demon´s souls, which I did not like that much. The frame rate drops, especially in Blighttown, are annoying but the battle system plus the dark and intense atmosphere are really well-made and the soul of Dark Souls itself.
  78. Mar 3, 2014
    Simply, the best game of the generation. Dark Sous is a combination of incredible game and level design, a deep and interesting story, perfect combat, amazing art and sound direction, and infinite replayability. Any true video game fan owes it to themselves to get this stunning masterpiece.
  79. Feb 25, 2014
    Best game I've ever played in my entire life.You should play this.But remember: the game is harsh at the beggining,MAKE SURE TO PAY ATTENTION IN THE TUTORIAL
  80. Feb 20, 2014
    Relentlessly dark environments, difficult bosses, and the fact that you'll likely find yourself lost (reminds me of 2-2 in Demons' Souls). Compared to Demons' Souls, I really like the open world environment, as well as the graphics. Only downside is the frame rate in Blighttown. Overall a great game indeed.
  81. Feb 20, 2014
    This game is a must have for those that like a challenge, and as has already been said, experienced player or not, you will die a lot.
    - It has great atmosphere, put the kids to bed, send the wife out for a night, lower the lights and crack on. It really does drag you in.
    - graphically, while not perfect, they are very dark and forboding, the lighting and character animations are cool.
    - large range of character types to choose from
    - nice little things like the game sharing your frustration when you die a lot with glyphs/prompts like "i can't take this" and others like "I did it", when you finally kill a Boss are nice little touches

However, despite the deluge of 10's that this game gets, it is not without it's faults.

- Those glyphs are everywhere, and over 1/2 are useless things like "praise the sun". the problem is some are helpful, warning you of ambushes or bosses, so you have to click them all. but after a while, it does get tiresome.
    - Camera angles, especially when in enclosed spaces are annoying resulting in you looking at a brick wales when trying to move, especially if you are moving in a rush.
    - the targeting system sucks. If you click on an enemy but you are out of range, the camera centres instead of doing nothing, or at least it should target, but change the colour to show you are out of range. If you are running away/towards an enemy and targetting fails, the camera angles just flips to straight forward, which just becomes confusing, risking things like falling of edges and dying, or even running into an enemy you are trying to run away from.
    - As a sorcerer, you have only 1 spell..and then eventually you get a second spell but it looks exactly the same as the first..then a third..same again. Seriously, it's the most unimaginitive spellbook in the history of RPG's. Mages in RPGs make things go bang in wierd and wonderful ways.. DS just did not bother.
    - Risk of accidentally attacking NPC's. you rescue an NPC in a room, but the room has boxes you want to destroy. a swipe in the wrong direction and you end up in a fight with someone you don't want to fight.
    - This game is not caster friendly, at least in the early stages. Simply put, if you die or rest at a fireplace, all enemies respawn. If you are melee based then this is fine,as you can fight your way through to where you want with little cost in terms of resources. But as a sorcerer, your spells have a limited cast count, which means if you use your spells (which as a sorcerer you are supposed), you will run out of spells to cast very quickly. This means that you have no choice but to Melee as well, which as you have little strength and health, makes your job very difficult. Especially if there is a Boss at the end of Level you are getting to and need to save your casts for, you have to melee through a lot of enemies.
    - When you dies you drop all your souls. Ok, that's fine. but if you die again before collecting these souls, all the souls from the first kill are lost. This is especially tiresome if you have just killed a boss got 10k souls, but then continue on, die, then die again before getting to those souls, you've just lost over 10k souls, thats a lot.
    - Also, because you have died you have no souls, so you cannot restock on items or repair your armour so you are ready to face a boss again. It means you have farm some more enemies, then go back restock and eventually..try again. It is not hard..just annoying, boring and tiresome. Killing the same enemy 20 times so you can restock is boring..not hard.
    - Invaders. When in human form, a player can invade your game and kill you. If they are higher than you in level(despite the balancing) you are still in a weaker position, giving you a disadvantage. If you die you have to respawn but you have lost the humanity you used to turn human(which is rare). I'm playing a PVE game, not a PVP game so i should be able to play as such, especially when I have an obvious disadvantage when being invaded by a player 10 lvls above me, in much better armour/weapons.
    - No instructions on character creation on what the various things mean aka gifts. in the end i googled them and got to master key, but I should not have too.
    - Very little tuition for new players. i'm an experienced RPG player, so worked it out pretty quick, but no menu with controls. i mean WTF.
    - No pause button. Seriously???

This is a good game, the atmosphere is great. i don't even have an issue with a difficult game, but the game should differentiate between difficulty, boredom and bad mechanics, and I do not think DS has got this quite right.
  82. Feb 17, 2014
    What can i say about Dark souls well its a excellent and tough game but the difficulty shouldn't be why you play this masterpiece, The lore,story and music are why along with its nasty multiplayer you always feel a rush when someone invades you in the middle of a horde of enemy, along with players helping with that tough boss or leaving messages that could lead to treasure or your doom isWhat can i say about Dark souls well its a excellent and tough game but the difficulty shouldn't be why you play this masterpiece, The lore,story and music are why along with its nasty multiplayer you always feel a rush when someone invades you in the middle of a horde of enemy, along with players helping with that tough boss or leaving messages that could lead to treasure or your doom is always fun

The game is not for everyone so please take cation in buying it unless you like to practice the game alot to beat some of the boss's
  83. Feb 9, 2014
    one of the most unique games you will ever see, concerning gameplay, storytelling, interaction and atmosphere. compare it to Skyrim and you will see who truely rules the rpg genre. But it has to be aid that this is no game for everyone. But i think there is no person who has finished it and dislikes it. give it a shot. you will hate it first, but there will be a point where it makesone of the most unique games you will ever see, concerning gameplay, storytelling, interaction and atmosphere. compare it to Skyrim and you will see who truely rules the rpg genre. But it has to be aid that this is no game for everyone. But i think there is no person who has finished it and dislikes it. give it a shot. you will hate it first, but there will be a point where it makes *click* and you will be completely into this game! Expand
  84. Feb 8, 2014
    El mejor juego que he jugado en años, al principio lo dejé, no entendía su dificultad, lo retomé al tiempo (después de leer cientos de artículos donde se elevaba a las nubes), puse una guía online a mi lado y se convirtió en la mejor experiencia de juego que he tenido en muchos años. Supongo que a su segunda parte jugaré sin guía, pero la primera vez que te enfrentas a un souls laEl mejor juego que he jugado en años, al principio lo dejé, no entendía su dificultad, lo retomé al tiempo (después de leer cientos de artículos donde se elevaba a las nubes), puse una guía online a mi lado y se convirtió en la mejor experiencia de juego que he tenido en muchos años. Supongo que a su segunda parte jugaré sin guía, pero la primera vez que te enfrentas a un souls la necesitas. Expand
  85. Feb 7, 2014
    I give this game a 10 due to the fact that it satisfied my need for a new, challenging, and role-playing video game. Although this game exceeded my hunger for difficulty, it is still the best RPG game I've set my sights one. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a crazy, awesome, and difficult RPG video game to play with your spare time throughout the day. Good luck and I hope thisI give this game a 10 due to the fact that it satisfied my need for a new, challenging, and role-playing video game. Although this game exceeded my hunger for difficulty, it is still the best RPG game I've set my sights one. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a crazy, awesome, and difficult RPG video game to play with your spare time throughout the day. Good luck and I hope this review helped! Expand
  86. Feb 4, 2014
    Dark Souls is a unique experience, what it's predecessor Demons Souls tried to do Dark Souls did amazingly. To the casual crowd, this game will be extremely hard and terrifying, resulting in a rage quit. But a more experienced group of gamers, this game will be a diamond in the rough. Featuring a dark and disturbingly beautiful world where just about everything can and will kill you, aDark Souls is a unique experience, what it's predecessor Demons Souls tried to do Dark Souls did amazingly. To the casual crowd, this game will be extremely hard and terrifying, resulting in a rage quit. But a more experienced group of gamers, this game will be a diamond in the rough. Featuring a dark and disturbingly beautiful world where just about everything can and will kill you, a creative mix of exp and currency called souls and a dark and detailed lore coupled with detailed mechanics and stats this game offers an unforgettable adventure that you can play time and time again. Expand
  87. Jan 10, 2014
    Today, children don't have a healthy fear of crossing the road, or rickety bridges. This simulation game will guarantee they will learn to respect water, bridges, ledges, and anything that might be around a corner, or behind a door because if they don't, they will DIE!! This game may save our society as we know it.
  88. Jan 10, 2014
    This game took me 86 hours to complete!The first 10 hours of the game weren't very challenging so I haven't had any bad experience(losing many souls) .The next 20 hours were really challenging for me.I gave up the game for about 7 months because I was losing all the time.The reason that I couldn't continue the journey was especially my weapon(astora's straight sword not upgraded).When IThis game took me 86 hours to complete!The first 10 hours of the game weren't very challenging so I haven't had any bad experience(losing many souls) .The next 20 hours were really challenging for me.I gave up the game for about 7 months because I was losing all the time.The reason that I couldn't continue the journey was especially my weapon(astora's straight sword not upgraded).When I equipped another weapon and upgraded that weapon on a blacksmith I realised that the bosses weren't so difficult at all.So don't forget to visit the blacksmith and upgrade your weapon & armor in dark souls.And the best part of the journey was the next 40 hours.The game was simultaneously challenging and very exciting.The final 16 hours I was just farming for materials and playing online against other players.The 2 things that impressed me most in Dark Souls were the gameplay(very real and exciting) and the environment(when you hit the second bell you will understand what I mean) .I recommend this game to players with patience and some experience in rpg games.But before you begin the game just "prepare to die" (in the game of course). Expand
  89. Jan 2, 2014
    Will likely remain my favorite game for a long time to come. I couldn't get the online component to work for me when it first came out. That being said, nothing elated me more then unlocking shortcuts or defeating a boss without a summon.
  90. Dec 30, 2013
    First of all to be clear, I am a huge fan of the predecessor, Demon's Souls. It's for me the game that showed the power of the capabilities (not just graphically) of a PS3 versus a PS2.

Dark Souls is wilder, more beautiful and more technically advanced (esp for the multiplayer part) than Demon's Souls, so it definitely improves on the formula. It's a great game, which has challenging bosses, great customisation options and is overall a great adventure.

There are for me however two issues which ruin the experience a bit:
    - There are a lot of secrets in the game, but they are hidden a bit too well. You will need to read up on internet to discover them, especially since they hide some of the more interesting items. If you want to survive the multiplayer aspect of the game (ie when invading or invaded) and you face someone with items/spells you don't know (other people do read up), you will most likely lose most of the time.
    - The damage you receive can be very arbitrary, which doesn't make sense for a game that wants you to learn from your mistakes. Example: I fight a boss. I see the boss is going to hit so I raise my (very strong) shield. As my stamina was low, the boss his hit breaks through my shield and deals 800 hit points and KO for me. On the next try on that boss, when attacking him, he also hits me three times consecutively dealing only 400 hit points together... Some balance is lost within the game versus Demon's Souls, which is a pity.

Overall, still a fantastic experience though.
  91. Dec 20, 2013
    Terrible software. Masochism shouldn't even be marketed as fun, which is what somehow happened with this game. Unbelievable to read the amount of 9's and 10's this game got when it is nothing but pure frustration. The worst thing about it are its fanatical followers that just won't see through a thick curtain of bought reviewers and artificial hype.

A game shouldn't be unforgiving in

A game shouldn't be unforgiving in order to be difficult. Dark Souls isn't only unforgiving but it also shows the middle finger to the player by forcing a sluggish character with pretty consistent input delays into a world filled with enemies that can kill you in the most absurd and random ways.

Spent hours trying to like this game but couldn't. I got really good at it but had to quit since I realized I was starting to feel really upset since it wasn't really my fault but the game's that I was making little to no progress.

It is ridiculous and games that push their difficulty in such cheap ways shouldn't be scored that high. According to several people, gamers are masochists and love horrible gameplay mechanics coated with gorgeous graphics.

Oh wait. That's actually true these days.

Sad times for gamers.
  92. Dec 20, 2013
    This game gives you everything you want; fun,story,challenge etc. Especially the story part but you'll probably don't get the half of the things that happened in the Dark Souls universe. If you want to learn this great story, you'll better off watching the lore videos on Youtube or if you want to learnt it by yourself, you can always check the item descriptions etc. So yeah, as i said,This game gives you everything you want; fun,story,challenge etc. Especially the story part but you'll probably don't get the half of the things that happened in the Dark Souls universe. If you want to learn this great story, you'll better off watching the lore videos on Youtube or if you want to learnt it by yourself, you can always check the item descriptions etc. So yeah, as i said, this game gives you everything you want. So what else do you want from it? Expand
  93. Dec 18, 2013
    Wow, what a game. Do yourself a favor and play Demon's Souls before you start this game. I promised you'll thank me for it. Has the best combat and an amazing atmosphere with a perfectly balanced difficulty from the days of old like the castlevania on the NES. A masterpiece realized.
  94. Nov 15, 2013
    What an awesome game. It makes the player feel like they are living in a dream world and experiencing awesome environments and challenges the whole way. The combat is great, and the level design is excellent. The DLC for it is awesome as well and really worth it. Just an overall great game. I rank this on up evenly with Skyrim as one of my top 3 favorite games of all time.
  95. Nov 7, 2013
    Dark Souls is over-rated IMO. Graphics: Very dark and boring character designs and animations. Dead monsters look hilariously like rag dolls. Doesn't look good compared to Dragon's Dogma which, like most PS3 games, installs on the hard drive and has fast loading-times thanks to my installed SSD but Dark Souls doesn't use the hard drive but when you are PLAYING and that's why you willDark Souls is over-rated IMO. Graphics: Very dark and boring character designs and animations. Dead monsters look hilariously like rag dolls. Doesn't look good compared to Dragon's Dogma which, like most PS3 games, installs on the hard drive and has fast loading-times thanks to my installed SSD but Dark Souls doesn't use the hard drive but when you are PLAYING and that's why you will encounter a lot of slow downs. Music is quiet boring and the scenery is claustrophobic, and full of meaningless crates which doesn't hold any items. I would prefer if it was less wannabe western fantasy and more crazy Japanese! It's crazy difficult though! Much of the dying is due to that the enemies shift from doing usual moves you can follow to start doing subtle Mortal Kombat-"finish him!"-looking-animations which are quite impossible to evade/parry. They suddenly jumps behind you and cuts your throat! The small areas also makes it hard to move and sway your weapon. I don't like the lock-on system with R3 clicking, since if you don't lock on it changes game play and the enemies becomes more difficult. Fighting with R1 and R2 and L1 L2 is nice but strange.
    The director Miyazaki says his next non-Souls game will be a brighter one he said that the Souls-series was a bit too dark! I approve!
  96. Nov 5, 2013
    This game is simply a masterpiece, incredible world dark-horror atmosphere, a sense of dread and beauty permeates the world, you are compelled to push forward through the brutal world of the game die and strangely come back for more. After i finished the game after 100 hours i re rolled another character straight away and continued on game+.... MASTERPIECE.
  97. Oct 26, 2013
    Little to no other experiences make you feel so in control. You'll hate yourself and shudder over the thought of that boss you were so close to defeating. You'll be in despair of how close you got. But when you succeed you know it was all because you kept at it and I challenge you to find a better gaming feeling.
  98. Oct 26, 2013
    Yes, it might be difficult. But it won't prevent this game from being a masterpiece. Every single place has it's own storyline, the music is awesome and the gameplay is improved from Demon's Souls. Many people complain about the graphics, but it's great, imo.
    Only bad thing about this game is frustrating multiplayer PvP system. Servers might get cheesy and it gets even more frustrating.
  99. Oct 11, 2013
    Dark Souls, like its spiritual predecessor Demon Souls, has a reputation for punishing difficulty. This reputation kept me from trying it for a long time. I don't enjoy frustration. Then I found some friends online raving about its atmosphere and story, and I raised the issue. My friend said something along the lines of, "you know, it's not really all that hard, you just have to beDark Souls, like its spiritual predecessor Demon Souls, has a reputation for punishing difficulty. This reputation kept me from trying it for a long time. I don't enjoy frustration. Then I found some friends online raving about its atmosphere and story, and I raised the issue. My friend said something along the lines of, "you know, it's not really all that hard, you just have to be careful."

So I figured, why not? The game was cheap now, so I ordered it. And my friend was right. There was only one place in the game I felt the difficulty was frustrating (a platforming section in Sen's Fortress that went too long between bonfires).

The first thing you're going to notice about Dark Souls is its atmosphere. It is dark, creepy, and does a good job of making you paranoid about what lurks around the corner, especially at first. It is wonderfully atmospheric. Now I personally would not praise its story--while it does seem to have a compelling dark narrative, this is presented so sparsely, and in such an indirect manner, you can complete the game without really understanding what's going on. What's an indirect manner? Imagine piecing together the story if you should so happen to choose to read the detailed description on different pieces of armor you may get. Only a handful of NPCs have more than a few lines to say to you, and these lines only hint at what's going on.

Normally, this would irritate me, but somehow the compelling game play, thick mood, and awesome leveling system kept me coming back for more without ever truly feeling I was missing something.

In Dark Souls you can start the game as a number of classes, but this only effects your initial gear and stats. From here, you can level your character however you want by spending souls of your fallen foes at a bonfire to raise stats. Each stat you raise increases your character level, which increases the number of souls needed for the next level. You also spend souls to buy gear or enhance your weapons and armor. The trick, however, is not to carry around more souls than you need. Because when you die you lose your souls. You have the chance to reclaim those souls, but only if you can get back to your body without dying again. Sometimes this is easier said than done.

Almost any monster in the game can kill you if not treated like a threat. In groups, monsters can easily overwhelm you. But this difficulty, famously punishing, can be overcome by practice, or simply by going out to get better gear and/or level up a bit. That I can deal with. The ease with which you can plunge to your death I found a bit less fun, but there was only that one spot that really pissed me off. And by that point in the game, I was immersed in the experience, I couldn't walk away.

Combat is responsive and rewards timing and planning over button mashing (a quick way to die against stronger enemies). Combined with the leveling system I mentioned, where it always feels like, just one more level might make the difference, creates a highly addictive play experience.

And did I mention the beautiful, gothic world? It seems partly inspired by Welsh mythology, but infused with a perpetual sense of dread and inevitable decay. You know the world is dying, but to know more than that requires some serious digging beyond the narrative presented to you.

If you like action RPGs and have patience to learn the game, and the caution to approach challenges slowly, I highly recommend Dark Souls.
  100. Oct 5, 2013
    who wants to play the same level for a day just because its too dam hard to finish....waist of time and a big waist of money there is no joy in dying 10000000 time .....maybe for you very good gamers out there this is good but otherwise dont get it
  101. Oct 4, 2011
    lol, well with such a giant demand of precise attention and reflexes/controls it would be nothing less than a unfair review to rate this long journey after only taking a few steps, w/ over 50 hours of gameplay i will tell you what ive seen in the few steps into this dark suicide mission part II. first of all the design and detail is noticed right off the rip. there is no doubt that this islol, well with such a giant demand of precise attention and reflexes/controls it would be nothing less than a unfair review to rate this long journey after only taking a few steps, w/ over 50 hours of gameplay i will tell you what ive seen in the few steps into this dark suicide mission part II. first of all the design and detail is noticed right off the rip. there is no doubt that this is demon souls , but back w/ a make over. visually i cant express how intimidating this world looks, and thats just part of it. the feel of an "open" world is very present giving me the feeling that i will be creeping inch by inch through a much bigger and more demanding world, dark souls. and for those who havent played demon souls well fear not, if you enjoy a game which will challenge you until you want to scream UNCLE! then this is just for you.

it seems to pick up right where it left off but w/ more focus on combat and counter striking and let me tell you "counter" is the key word. back to demon souls, if you did not play it then it will not render your exp whatsoever , in fact it will be a pleasant surprise for die hard rpg fans. if thats you then this game should be in your console at some point or another. you will have plenty of choices, weapons,armor,shields and magic to play with, and you will learn that sometimes thinking outside the box is useful in this game. the camera angles are sometimes a bit awkward in regards to positioning but its not been an issue as of yet but it is there.

you chose a class and start your journey, tempo has yet to be slowed by cutscenes or long interactions w/ npc's . a perfect balance so far. i will say that the online "co-op" style of unified combat is very much desired rather than a black phantom or other player coming into your game and crushing you w/o much notice. it seems that the help from one another is not only USEFUL but encouraged. i thought this game would just be demon souls w/ a splash of new , but i was wrong, this is dark souls w/ a reminder of demons souls intensity. its menu/inventory is simple and replicates the predecessor but other than that its darker and angrier. you will have fun reading and writing hints. and when in a jam, summon!

bonfires make great "checkpoints" rather than the nexus which was demons souls "navigation" point. i love the bonfires and the way they were inserted , nicely done from software.

combat system is more precise and the enemies are less forgiving. from shooting bows to sword strikes , upgraded from a system which was seemless to begin with.

this is for the strong willed, ones who enjoy a challenge and let me say the trophies are very rewarding in this game, these are earned to say the least.

great time so far, i have no complaints.. DOES NOT MATTER IF YOU OWN A PS3/360 OR P.C. and it doesnt matter if you did or didnt play demon souls, just make sure you play this. all thats required is a craving for an exp which doesnt come very often in games. a challenging and rewarding exp.. great job from software

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 6, 2012
    It would be foolish of us to pretend that Dark Souls is a game for everyone. It's perfect at what it does, but a big part of what it does is make you suffer for your mistakes. It is a harsh, uncompromising task master and you will have to work to win its approval, because it certainly won't work to win yours. [Dec 2011, p74]
  2. Jan 5, 2012
    At the end of the day Dark Souls succeeds in producing a game that is both incredibly challenging and fair.
  3. Nov 29, 2011
    All in all, Dark Souls is a more difficult, but less enjoyable (and less accessible) Demon's Souls.