5.8

1. Sep 22, 2010
    I have to be honest I really enjoyed this title and its even on my keep pile. Dark Voids problems are mostly superficial in my opinion. From a design point of view i think the game is fabulous and only commits a few minor oversights. The first oversight is that the game generally speaking has very poor AI, but the AI does not hamper this game really, its just that it's too obvious the enemies are idiots. In other games with poor AI the designer is able to hide it well by providing some smoke and mirrors by providing you with an a NPC character to go ahead of you and engage the battle so you can't stand back and notice exactly how poor the AI is. But, in all fairness most games have the same AI, Dark Void with their design just didn't hide it well, so i guess this is why i probably actually enjoyed the game as most people just bashed it. That aside the only other thing i felt Dark Void was lacking was decent weapon selection and a more comprehensive upgrade package to the weapons. In my opinion the selectable weapons were fine but pretty minimal but there wasn't much room to play the game any way you liked. As for the critiques over the jet pack this is the very strong part of this game everyone is missing out on. The controls are fine and taking to the skies totally makes this game. For those who played it on the ground as third person shooter, well, plainly put you are not playing Dark Void as the designers intended and under that scenario I'm not surprised to hear poor reviews about players experience. If you open up the game on hardcore or whatever its highest setting is and play the game mostly with the jet pack you will see this is a fabulously overlooked game that got bashed hard fo r the wrong reasons. It may not be very deep but the fun factor is definitely there and everyone seems to have missed it. Another nice thing about this game is it is organized into chapters which you can do each night and as well most importantly I did not come across any glitches at all during the game and finished it problem free. This seems rare these days so I'm sticking up for this game. It is about a 10-15 hr game. Hope you try it (but in the air!!) Expand
  2. Dec 6, 2010
    this game really isnt that bad now its nothing great eather . it feels kinda like gears of war or unchated but with a jetpack. the biggest problems this game has is the bugs which get annoying like not saving your check points or after you bear a lvl , game freesing up , sound effects getting turned off for no reason ect. the graphics look like it should have been a launch game for the ps3 or xbox 360 they are bland and dull . the story is ok but its nothing that really held my attention much. voice acting is pretty solid mainly because of nolan north the man who does drake from uncharted is in the game as the main charicter. the jet pack is fun and the game play is kinda fun which saves the game abit from all thoose other problems . the game is at best a rental if nothing els out there catches your eye or you can buy it cheap i got mine for only $10 used / Expand
  3. Oct 7, 2010
    Playing this game totally reminds me of Disney's 90's flick The Rocketeer! I am surprised how mixed this game got for reviews. The second I saw the game announced I knew it wasnt going to innovate anything but I was thrilled! It's got some pretty good shooting mechanics and sure, any 3rd person game has some form of a cover system like this one. The flight gameplay is where its at here!
  4. Oct 27, 2013
    Dark Void is a very underrated game. The shooting and flying mechanics are solid, the graphics are average. The story is really good during the first 65% of the game, the second half of the game is okay. I love Dark Void and i think more people should try it, you just might end up liking it.
  5. Mar 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Well, against all real advice from IGN, Metacritic, I bought this game, with it's DLC. I had played Dark Void Zero, thought it was pretty good, and I knew it had Nolan North in it, which is always good. Probably most importantly for me, Bear McCreary composed the music. Trying to be as unbiased as possible, I'm going to do this review in sections:

Graphics: 7 / 10
    The graphics, in reality, aren't that bad; from most of the critic reviews, I thought they were gonna be horrid. Taking down an enemy Watcher, watching their individual limbs fly, noticing that tiny bit of arm-flapping when flying, watching your clothes wrinkle in the wind when hi-jacking enemy saucers, all of it looks pretty well modeled and textured. However, textures in cutscenes can sometimes be more noticeable. For instances, spoiler alert, when Nikola Tesla is stabbed in the back, and his hand is show close up, the texturing is VERY blurry, and is almost unrecognizable. And, of course, since it's on the Unreal engine, there's the problem of textures being really blurry for only a moment.

Mechanics and Physics: 8 / 10
    The mechanics of the game were undoubtedly it's strong point. It's a freaking jetpack; what else do you need? Although the execution was a little poor, Capcom certainly had the right idea in mind. However, when you're not flying around with your somehow infinite-ammo jetpack-mounted machine-guns, blasting ships and defying the laws of physics, it reacts like a pretty average third-person shooter. When you ARE on the ground, though, you can use your jetpack to your advantage, get the strategic high-ground, and even camp. Like a noob. One problem, though, is when you're flying around, and you meet a golden watcher sniper. They can fly too. But when you fly up to melee them, you can't. There's simply no melee-ing going on. The AI is awful. They keep shooting 7 clips at the walls.

Sound: 9 / 10
    Many people underestimate the importance of a game's soundtrack. The game's soundscape in general (the soundtrack, effects, voiceing) is all very important. Bear McCreary, the composer for Battlestar: Gallactica, The Walking Dead, the Europa Report, and now Dark Void, if very good at what he does. Obviously, Capcom recognizes music's importance. And they didn't go cheap on voice-acting, either; Nolan North voices the lead character, Will, and does a great job of it, too. No one else in the voice cast is all that great, in my opinion.

Story: 8 / 10
    Not a whole lot to say, here; the story was pretty well written, overall, though not overbearing, like in Metal Gear Solid.

Overall: 8 / 10

Worth it if you buy it for under 15 - 25 dollars.

1. While the shooting and platforming elements don't individually ignite the gameplay experience, when Dark Void combines them with the superb aerial combat, the action soars and the game's potential is fully realized. [Feb 2010, p.78]
  2. The jetpack might be a nice gimmick, but it’s not innovative enough to carry an entire game, especially since vertical cover can only be used in certain places. Everything else in Dark Void is as generic as generic can be. The level design, enemies, weapons and story, nothing stands out particularly. But for an eight hour single player-only experience, it should have.
  3. Unfortunately, the shining strengths of the game are buried underneath a thick layer of rust that only the thirstiest of air-junkies should bother chipping through. [Feb 2010, p.95]