6.4

1. Jan 22, 2014
    I'm a huge Dead Space fan. But before I sound bias, let me say how disappointed I was in this game. It starts out great; it has jumps and scares, but loses momentum throughout the game. The ending is key. Without spoiling anything, lets just say that in the final 1/3 of the game, Dead Space takes a bold leap into what it doesn't know; Sci-fi. The latter half of the game still has great core-gameplay, but the story makes you think whether or not you enjoy what you're doing, and that's bad. The story drops off into the almost ridiculous and tries to go after a new market. Sure, the game is about killing alien zombies, but when it takes a turn to the "bigger" game, it falls and doesn't quite make the "better" mark. I wish Dead Space would've stuck to what it knows best; scares. In all honesty, the last part isn't scary, just confusing. With great graphics and gun play, it's a shame they tried to focus on story. All in all, it's a good game, but not what I had come to expect from a Dead Space game. Expand
  2. Jul 13, 2014
    Dead Space 3 is a pretty good third installment but the story was a little boring and the love triangle seemed forced. All in all I like Dead Space 2 more.
  3. Jul 16, 2014
    This is absolutely the worst game I have played in my entire life. Half of it is decent and the other half is frustratingly broken. I got this game for Free from PS Plus and I want my money back!
  4. Jul 27, 2014
    Around the time Dead Space was released some people said it was the game Resident Evil 5 should have been. Something that didn't trade horror for action. Unfortunately it seems the same thing that happened to Resident Evil has now reached the Dead Space series. Dead Space 3 is an action game not a horror game.

There are some horror elements but nothing like in the first two games of the
    series. There is also co-op in the game which in order to be accommodated takes Dead Space 3 even further away from its horror roots. Some parts of the story can only be experienced in co-op mode and single-player folks are just expected to deal with it.

There are also microtransactions in Dead Space 3. Taking you out of the game into a store that tries to sell you stuff for actual money rather than fictional in-game currency. This raises the question of whether elements of the game have been made more tedious (than they otherwise would be) on purpose to encourage players to make use of microtransactions to get things done.

It’s a shame to see a once great series fade away like this and become just another action game. There are enough such games out there already. Trying to be everything for everyone meant losing what made the series good in the first place. Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are still worth playing now as much as they were years ago, I'm not sure if I can say the same about DS3 though.
  5. Aug 17, 2014
    This game was such a huge disappointment... The crappy crafting system, the retarded enemy ai, the predictable "take the long way" situations, fetch quests similar to those in a repetitive and boring mmo in a single player "horror" story. The replacement of bad-ass Ellie to "damsel in distress can't do sh*t myself anymore" version of Ellie. Plot holes, the plot itself, micro-transactions to play a single-player game.

Everything adds up to a huge 1, 1 it gets for graphics, but would rather look at my computers wallpaper background of the Dead Space 1 or Dead Space 2 for 9 hours than play this **** anymore. Why not loop big buck bunny on repeat for 9 hours, still a better story than this crap.
  6. Aug 24, 2014
    I had a lot of fun with this game, the combat is fun, graphics are really good, the frozen planet is a nice change of scenery, the story was surprisingly good and i really loved the weapon crafting system. But the game doesn't really feel like dead space, i felt the crouching was not needed, there were too many human enemy encounters all necromorph for me, and the game doesn't have the same atmosphere of ds2 the game is just not scary. Great game overall, just doesn't feel like a dead space game Expand

1. Apr 30, 2013
    Taken as a whole, Dead Space 3 is far more infuriating than it is bad.
  2. Do yourself a favour and play DS3 like a raving masochist, straight off the bat. It’s a slick, AAA sequel that’s worthy of its place in the franchise. but only if you take the initiative and crank the difficulty. We didn’t think it possible, but Visceral has engineered a sequel that will appease old fans and entice new ones, too. [March 2013, p72]
  3. Apr 1, 2013
    Misfires and all, it’s at least commendable that Dead Space 3 makes an effort to exhibit some fresh experimentation into what has become a truly bloated media franchise; plus the combat still shines for the most part. Sadly though, better elements like the crafting system are lamentably set against a mundane and lifeless backdrop that rarely excites, let alone spooks, on the grand level of previous games in the series.