6.8

1. Sep 23, 2012
    A really enjoyable adventure, but maybe only of interest to fans of the franchise. I never thought I'd play or even own a rail shooter but this came with my copy of the Dead Space 2 collectors edition and thought I'd give it a go. Story is well-written and the characters are all likeable, lots of sneaky glimpses and hints to things you'll see or learn about as Isaac in Dead Space and Dead Space 2. The game mixes things up nicely by having the player switch between the main protagonists at intervals which makes for an interesting experience. Expand
  2. Oct 17, 2013
    Dead Space: Extraction is a good addition to the Dead Space franchise. During the first four chapters the story lacks and is boring, but during chapter 5 the game gets more intriguing and fast paced and thats when this game really shines, plus Extraction has some badass boss battles. Extraction is not an ordinary Dead Space, it is an On-Rails-Shooter, which means the game walks for you, all you have to do is shoot. I played Dead Space: Extraction with the DualShock 3, the controls where a bit clunky and hard to learn at first but once you master the gameplay it becomes very fun shooting off the limbs from the Necromorphes. The graphics are better than the original Wii version and it has a full list of trophies even a platinum. The characters are really memorable, especially since Gabe Weller and Lexie are in Dead Space 2: Severed the DLC. This game keeps you on the edge of your seat until the games conclusion. Expand
  3. May 25, 2013
    A damn good addition for the franchise. Game works with both a Dual shock controller and Move controller, either way you play it, the controls are smooth and very easy. The game's still the classic Dead Space we all know and love through and through!
  4. Feb 20, 2011
    I originally played Dead Space Extraction when it was on the wii, cooperatively with my brother. Most of the time I spent thinking I wish I could play this on the PS3, luckily enough Visceral games was nice enough to put in on the Dead Space 2 disc and I have to say this is still a very enjoyable game. The first thing I noticed off hand, obviously, was the graphics which have drastically improved from the nintendo wii version they look a lot more vivid and crisp then they did before. Everything else is just as same, sounds, voice acting ext. As for controls this game is definitely made for motion controls. I had tried playing a level with the dualshock and it just didn't feel as natural as when I use PS move. It is a lot more difficult playing with the dualshock but it's not impossible and it just feels better using move. I would recommend this game to anyone with PS move who has not played the wii version and enjoys rail-type shooters as this is one of the better, story and game play wise. Expand
  5. Jun 3, 2012
    Don't let the fact that it's a rail shooter fool you - this game is a full-fledged chapter in the Dead Space saga. Extraction is a prequel to Dead Space, showing the events on the colony and Ishimura before the glowing-bucket-headed engineer Isaac Clarke arrived in the original game, featuring a whole set of new characters, as well as some you might be familiar with. You get to play as different characters throughout the game, and the story is immersive enough to keep you entertained, albeit with some predictable twists. The graphics, while being improved compared to the Wii version, still look a bit outdated. The gameplay is fun, with lots of unique weapons, all of which are featuring two firing modes. Shooting with PS Move is accurate as usual, and brings the feel of old arcade games, especially if you're using the Sharpshooter. All in all, it's a solid title for a reasonable price, and is definitely worth buying, especially if you own a PS Move controller. Expand
  6. Dec 10, 2011
    Free with Dead Space 2, plus not a bad game. Im not a particular fan of rail-shooters, but this game provides an excellent prologue to the events in dead space. Graphics are pretty decent, considering it was a wii exclusive. Decently fun to play, would have preferred 3rd person survival horror instead, but you get what you pay for.
  7. Apr 5, 2011
    One of my favorite PS Move games yet. The graphics are a bit dated and the game is not as much fun when using a Duel Shock. If you have a ps Move however, it's worth checking out. Especially if you're into the other Dead Space games.
  8. Sep 25, 2014
    When I started playing Dead Space: Extraction, I wasn't expecting the amount of polish the main series has got, but I was still expecting a fairly decent game. It certainly starts off promising, with an interesting opening level that promises to tell a thoughtful story that takes place just before the first Dead Space. Indeed, the series sounds like it would work pretty well as an on-rails shooter. After the first level ends with a neat little twist, however, the game quickly became a slog to play through.

Dead Space: Extraction's biggest flaw is its enemy AI and cookie-cutter design; you'll usually find yourself fighting between two to five Necromorphs at a time, but once they close in, they're all happy to stand next to (or get stuck on) each other, with only one Necromorph willing to attack at a time. Only on rare occasions will you find some enemies with ranged attacks, but when this happens, it's more a pain than interesting variety of enemy placement. At times, the game doesn't know what enemy to focus the camera on, and on more than one occasion I found myself being pummeled by an enemy barely on screen as the camera focused on another enemy patiently standing a few steps away, waiting for me to kill his buddy before attacking. And despite the abundance of Necormorphs in the Dead Space universe, you'll unfortunately only find yourself fighting Slashers and Leapers most of the time.

Ammo and dismemberment is another big problem in this game - most on-rails shooters rely on their fast pace and shooting enemies as fast as possible, but Extraction does not know what it wants: it's happy to throw a lot of enemies at you but your weapons are slow and designed for severing their limbs than actual crowd-control. If you run low (or out) of ammo, you're stuck with a Rivet Gun, the only weapon with infinite ammo, but with only 7 shots (when fully upgraded) and a slow rate of fire, it's a poor excuse for even a back-up weapon. The bosses in this game were absolutely terrible because of the lack of ammo in the game. If they go on for too long, be prepared to run out of ammo and end up stuck with a weapon that isn't designed for the boss. As a word of advice, make sure to always keep a Pulse Rifle and/or P-Sec Pistol on you for the three bosses (from Chapter 6 onwards).

Everything here has been simplified compared to the main series - weapon upgrades are now simply notches that don't specify how they've upgraded the gun, and all the text logs have literally been lifted straight from the first Dead Space. The Challenge Mode that comes with the game is just awful; failing to adequately explain how its scoring system works, and with no online leaderboard functionality. Outside of trophies, there is literally no reason to play this uninspired, lackluster extra mode, and the developers that were stuck working on this could have been put to better use elsewhere.

Aside from this, the game is very easy, with enemies dropping health packs whenever you're low on health; your character will instantly use the health packs when you pick them up, so don't expect any tactics regarding health management here. In fact, what makes this game so tedious to play is that you'll be moving from one area to another, fighting off the many Necormorphs that assail you with whatever weapon you've been lumped with until you either reach the next area or one of your companions start to talk about something and crudely break whatever pace the game has going for it, with no risk of failure ever looming (outside of the aforementioned boss fights, anyway).

Levels range from ten minutes to half an hour long, and there's only ten of them. While the character interaction is one of the best things about the game, it does break up the pace of the levels (especially on repeat playthroughs) when characters spend several minutes blathering on and on, and the lack of a Restart Checkpoint option baffles me - if you run into a game-stopping glitch (I ran into three during my first playthrough!), you'll have to restart the entire level from the beginning!

What starts off as a promising game ends up as an extremely tedious, by-the-numbers, almost-no-thrills game to play. It has an interesting enough (if simple) plot, and admittedly there's a sense of enjoyment exploring the Ishimura again before Isaac arrives, but it's just... not fun to play. It certainly has its moments, and it's not all bad - don't get me wrong - but the negatives definitely outweigh the positives, and after completing the game all I could immediately recall were the parts that annoyed and frustrated me the most.
  9. Feb 1, 2011
    Wow. Extraction is by far the best game for the Move that I've played so far. The controls are spot on, and I love how they managed to created a scheme that worked both with the Move controller on it's own, and also with the navigation controller.

What's super cool too is that I can have my buddy play on it in 2-player mode with the regular dualshock, since I only have 1 Move
    controller.

I love Dead Space, and Extraction was one of my favorites in the series. The story and character development are top notch. That Weller guy is a bad ass! I only wish they could have had online multiplayer, but oh well, this rocks!

1. Despite sophisticated wand-waving, this tires fast. [Apr 2011, p.114]
  2. Mar 21, 2011
    Bold and inventive. [Issue#203, p.98]
  3. Feb 13, 2011
    This game is a good port from the Wii version. The gameplay is great, the story is nice and the graphics are pretty. At some moments the gameplay is a bit slow, but besides of that a must have for Dead Space and horror fans.