8.8

1. Apr 5, 2014
    Story: 8.5 out of 10 Graphics: 8.5 out of 10 Gameplay: 8.5 out of 10 Fun: 8.5 out of 10 Controls: 8.5 out of 10 Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10
    Length: 8 out of 10
    Re-play: 7 out of 10
    Audio: 9 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: None
  2. Mar 31, 2014
    Not normally a fan of horror games, but this game pulled me in. The story line is a little generic, however that is well made up for in the experience. This game came with the warning of scaring you and it did, I have never jumped so much in a game in all my life. This is the crème de la crème of horror games !
  3. Mar 17, 2014
    This game is and should be considered a masterpiece in the Survival Horror genre, Its got an amazing atmosphere that is captured well by the sound and style of the ship. The combat is unique and the graphics have stood the test of time! One of the best things in this game is the backstory, through out the game you pick up audio logs and text logs which explain what happened to the ships crew. There is only one error that I can find with this game and that error is that every weapon apart from your default weapon (Plasma Cutter) is useless!

I don't know why everyone is saying the PC port is terrible because I haven't had any of the problems explained! Dirty Console Peasants!

If you like Survival Horror games then you are going to really like this!
  4. Feb 3, 2014
    Story: 8 out of 10, Graphics: 9 out of 10, Fun: 8 out of 10, Controls: 8 out of 10, Ease to Learn: 8 out of 10, Length: 8 out of 10, Re-play: 5 out of 10, Value: 8 out of 10
  5. Jan 5, 2014
    This game is pretty awesome. Tried it few years ago on PC, but didn't liked it. Now looking back I figure that controls on PC are really bad made and spoil whole game. With console controls it's completely different experience. Game is well done, great designed with really spooky atmosphere. Story is good and except some saving position issues (often you must watch some unskipable sequence from the start after you die) gameplay is well created and balanced. I also like that final boss is not invincible. Game concentrate rather to balancing whole game than making ultra hard final boss (similar like The Las Of Us). With better save position solution would be pure 10! Expand
  6. Dec 23, 2013
    Dead Space is dark, edgy, and has a fantastic atmosphere. You truly feel in the shaking boots of Isaac Clark as he struggles to maintain his sanity and survive the doomed starship, fighting off terrifying and gory creatures. On paper, the concept seems flawless. On the TV screen, it's not. Dead Space is not a game for everyone and, unfortunately, not an adventure for me. I loved the tense moments but so many aspects of the game held me back from truly enjoying the journey as a whole. The gameplay felt extremely rigid and every movement was wrong, almost as if Clark was wearing a straightjacket inside of his space suit. In addition, the entire game felt repetitive and ultimately lost my interest about three hours through. There is very little to mix up the occasional jump scares and shoot outs, and I felt extremely tired by the halfway point, which may be a first for me. So in the end, your opinions on Dead Space are entirely based on preference. Many critics and players alike enjoyed the dark and depressing mood, as well as the sense of containment that the ship had to offer. However, I just didn't find the game to be that fun, and since that's the main purpose of a video game, I personally can't say I enjoyed the experience. If it were me, I'd find an escape pod.

6.5/10

Follow me on twitter. @cbeers2513
  7. Nov 22, 2013
    Playing this game was a strange experience for me. I borrowed it from a friend and slowly completed it over a very long time span due to a whole heap of distractions but I have finally completed it. One of the first things you'll notice about the story is just how bad your luck is on this mission. In true horror fashion, anything that can go wrong will. This creates a lot of interesting situations that you'll get thrown into. Granted they are all similar, basically get to a location to retrieve or activate something but the thrill comes from the atmosphere this game has and the journey to completing these objectives. The thing that makes this game great is its true horror feel. The atmosphere and tension play out like a good movie and the science fiction setting reminds me of the film Aliens, which is a good thing.
    A gripe I have with the game is just the older, clunkier controls. This game was older when I played it and this shows in the game's mechanics. Melee is clunky and hard to use and aiming and movement are slow compared to modern games. I also feel that some deaths were cheap. There were instances when I would get knocked over and an enemy would kill me as I was in the standing up animation and defenceless. I know an alien in real life wouldn't wait but I want to feel like that I can still survive in a survival horror game. Speaking of horror, this game nails it by introducing varied enemies at a near perfect pace. Just when you seemed to be fighting the same things, the game goes back to something that hasn't appeared in this level yet that you forgot about, or it shows you something entirely new. The game is also good at adding in a new plot point when things start to feel stale. In the midst of the very standard objective types, it is good that the game reminds you why your doing it and adds something new to keep you interested. The weapons are also interesting and using the good upgrade feature, most weapons will stay useful until the final boss with a few power nodes invested.

I think I've covered everything now. The game has a truly great survival horror atmosphere as you play it and is paced very well with a story that starts well,slows a bit in the middle before ramping back up near the end. The game is let down by the basic and clunky feeling combat and backtracking to the same areas but for the most part I can definitely recommend it for someone who likes games with a great atmosphere like this.
  8. Oct 13, 2013
    For me Dead Space is one of the best survival horror games that ive played. The tension and darkness in this game is really nerve wrecking, it really has an atmospheric setting, playing the game makes you feel like your actually their. The character Isaac Clark goes through a lot of The sound design and necromorph's are amazing and will make you jump out of your seat. This game was really hard to get the platinum, but i had to get it because i love this game so much. I can honestly say its in my top 10 games of all time, and it has my 3rd place in best survival horror games, right behind Resident Evil 4 and The Last of Us. Expand
  9. Aug 31, 2013
    For years, I put off playing the Dead Space series because I always heard it was a horror game which I'm not a fan of, so I never thought I would play this game. However, after hearing how great this game was, I finally decided to play it. What I thought would be a mistake turned out to be a great decision.

You start out as Isaac Clarke, an Engineer who has been hired along with your
    colleagues Zach Hammond and Kendra Daniels to investigate the sudden shut down of a space station. You arrive to find the crew dead and the ship inhabited by alien creatures, dubbed necromorphs. Your objective at that point is to get off the ship and call for reinforcements to clear it out, with new obstacles constantly hindering your progress, and the Necromorphs trying their best to kill you along the way.

The typical Necromorph can only be killed by severing their limbs. This action is made possible with Isaac's main weapon, the Plasma Cutter, which allows you to shoot three plasma bullets in a horizontal or vertical direction, and uses laser sights to display where the bullets will land. This keeps you entertained during combat, considering the shooting is done by using strategy and a level head to kill your enemies. There are many guns to obtain in the game, but the only gun I found necessary besides the Plasma Cutter was the Line Gun. The Line Gun is a machine gun, which comes in handy against the aliens where you don't severe limbs but instead target a single weak spot which requires more damage than precision. The Line Gun is also useful for dispatching the tiny enemies that crawl around at high speeds and require rapid fire to kill. The Line Gun can sever limbs, but I mainly used the the Plasma Cutter for this unless I ran out of ammo.

Along with your guns, you'll also have the stasis ability to slow down the environment and your enemies, as well as the ability of telekinesis. These abilities are mainly used to solve puzzles, but can also be used in combat, but are not necessary, considering I went through the whole game without using them against my enemies. The Game also includes zero gravity environments, in which you can walk on walls and fly in a singular direction across the room, and environments where you have no air, and must get back into an air filled area before you die. These environments along with your abilities allow slight change ups in gameplay.

What impressed me the most was the Heads Up Display. The HUD allows you to view your health, stasis meter, ammo clip count, air storage and map without ever hitting the pause button. Your health, stasis meter, and air count are displayed on your back, while your ammo clip is displayed at the base of the gun when you aim. The map can be brought up in front of you and you can also view the direction your supposed to go with a single button press, using a line to highlight your direction on the floor.

There's also a store to buy ammo, med packs, new guns, and power nodes. The store can also be used save your items for later, considering your inventory has limited space, but can be increased by unlocking suits. Along with stores, you'll have a work bench to upgrade your weapons and rig (suit). Upgrades allow more ammo and better damage for your guns, and more health and air for your rig. The game also has decent replay value, granting you a new outfit, an "Impossible" mode, and granting you ten power nodes and money when you start a new game.

This game sure did impress, but it wasn't without fault. In my opinion, the game dragged. Instead of a standard six hour campaign, the game was 10 12 hours long. The game just started to lose it's pull at the six hour mark. After that, the combat become more generic and the flaws became more apparent.

First, Isaac Clarke had no dodge, which would've come in handy against an enemy who required you to fire at it's back by avoiding the creature's charge. Second, the laser sight worked for the plasma cutter, but didn't work for the line gun, and there were a couple of cannon sequences which suffered because you couldn't see your laser sight in the distance. A cross hair would've been better suited for these guns. Plus, enemies closing in made aiming difficult, which caused you to suffer when multiple enemies had you cornered. Third, the upgrading wasn't done well enough. Some upgrades required you to chain power nodes from one upgrade to another, which means you'd use power nodes without gaining anything. Fourth, the map had poor controls, making navigation difficult and zero gravity environments caused you to easily lose your way, which could've been fixed with a waypoint. Lastly, the horror element lost its edge. After the first hour, the atmosphere, music, dark hallways and jump scares became generic and I was no longer scared or startled.

In the end, Dead Space has its hiccups, but is overall an enjoyable experience and I have no regrets playing it. Now that I'm a fan, I eagerly await playing the sequel.
  10. Aug 23, 2013
    At times, I did want Isaac Clark to speak up more but it scared the complete shyt out of me. Among the scariest games I have ever played. I've played Dead Space 2 and 3 and I gotta say, even though 2 has better gameplay and flow, it didn't scare me as much. 3 was just Uncharted in space. Graphics are ok, nothing great.
  11. Aug 20, 2013
    a true survival horror game this game takes what resident evil couldn't continue and with great graphics nice plot and really horrifying moments this game is simply great
  12. Jun 16, 2013
    Dead Space is a fantastic third person survival horror, only the second of it's kind (Resident Evil 4 is the only other one I can think of). Personally, I'm hard to scare, but this game really filled me with dread and panic. The HUD being integrated into the game, and the inventory screen not pausing the game were really good ideas from Viscreal, and they work perfectly. This game built up a whole universe, books, movies, spin-offs, and this universe is brilliant.

The story is solid, and voice acting believable. Graphics were very good, and gory. Lots, and lots of gore. The enemies, Necromorphs, are absolutely terrifying, and are unique compared to generic zombies.

My only real complaints, are that Issac himself is quite a boring character, (There are two times you can see his face, He's just a grey haired Genericon-5000), Issac also is mute (Magically gains the ability to speak in Dead Space 2) and a lot of the chapters are performing task after task to repair the ship, usually involving puzzles so simple that a dead fish could do them.

Overall, the atmosphere is fantastic, the gameplay is fun, and technically it's solid.
  13. Jun 12, 2013
    Who'd have thought that in 2013 we'd still be talking about Dead Space as this generations best horror game? Maybe that's a sad reflection about how Survival Horror games have become a bit of a niche genre in recent years but it's also testament to this games brilliance and enduring appeal. Pensonally this is the most intense experience I've ever had with a game. Even just loading the game up each night made me apprehensive and no other game has given me the same fear that I could be attacked from any direction and killed at any time. At times I was so apprehensive about what was round the next corner that I was literally inching my way along the corridors and at other times it even made me scream like a little girl!
    Many little touches contribute to making this scary but special mention must go to the masterful timing of the scares, the way tension is built plus the use of sound and music to create atmosphere is the best I've ever seen and it's all held together with great controls and gameplay.
    If you're still undecided about buying it after all these years i'd say don't hesitate because you're sure to get it very cheap now but more then that, Dead Space is not only a great Survival Horror but one of this generations must play games period.
  14. May 5, 2013
    One of the scariest games that i have ever played! I am a huge fan of sci-fi and a huge fan of horror so i thought this game was absolutely awesome! With a great story and great bloody combat this is definitely one you need to pick up if you're a fan of either of those two genre's
  15. Apr 12, 2013
    I'm a HUGE horror fan, and have been looking for a game that not only makes me jump but that actually scares me, This game did just that. The environment/atmosphere of this game is awsome and is kind of like a Bioshock in that aspect. Dead Space has a great story of survival and coming to realize what is going on in this ship. The graphics are great for a game that came out in 2008, and is better graphically that some games that come out today. I highly reccommend this game to any horror fans or someone who wants a different kind of experience. Play this game at night, alone, in the dark, its awsome! Expand
  16. Apr 12, 2013
    I just played 10 minutes of this game and I like it puts it like Resident Evil games with a challenge to it's name.
    But it's in space theme I think that the monsters does not look too great when you see the big leg things that attack you they look not in detail enough more like a PS2 graphic which I wanted a more like Doom theme with zombies with guns or something.

Controls feel right
    on too well I enjoyed this so I think you will too. Expand
  17. Dec 25, 2012
    Piranha 3D! Anyone who has seen that movie could argue that Dead Space shares its raw and merciless tone. Yet this game is so much more than that. Bash on the recycled plot line, or the level designs, or even how it may not be as scary. Say it's not perfect, but show me a game that is? As a major horror buff, this masterpiece promises and delivers beyond belief. It's made me feel such an overwhelming tension and paranoia no gaming moments could compare to. Dead Space uses its flaws to its advantage. It manages to be unique even with borrowed bits and pieces from games that inspired it. The plot evolves into shocking events here and there. The dismemberment mechanic is such a new thrill it won't get old easily. The way these creatures interact with you in their goal to shred you up makes for a clever and challenging experience. A lot of backtracking is done, but in the sense of the plot, it all goes together. The environments are varied up enough to keep things running. Also, with hidden secrets to find, collectibles to get, and puzzles to solve, it really isn't such a repetition like the first game in the Assassin's Creed series. Take it for what it is, a mysterious, twisted, bloody and crazy twelve hours that will have you pausing every few levels to build up your courage again. Let's cherish the original games, because sequels are known to not capture that lighting-in-a-bottle sense. Expand
  18. Dec 11, 2012
    I may disagree with the fact of if this game is scarey. I didn't really think it was all that much but I still enjoyed it none the less. It had some great moments and I love sci-fi and think that too few games go in this genre for whatever reason. And I mean galaxy sci-fi where you can see space and the sun with planets and galaxies, I love it, probably the reason I loved mass effect so much. But anyways this game is to action focused for me to be too scary but I loved the story and the setting and blasting away the necromorphs. This should be added to anyone who is serious about games' collection. Expand
  19. Dec 3, 2012
    I've always been a fan of horror games since the days of Resident Evil, and not till now have I been satisfied will this genre of games... until now!!! Dead Space takes horror survival games to a whole new level. I can't even count the number of times I almost shat my pants playing it... and guess what?! I loved each and every moment of it!
  20. Oct 30, 2012
    A wonderful, beautifully sci-fi horror game, that clearly took inspiration on Alien, The Thing and 2001 A Space Odyssey, but became its own beast for our greatest pleasure. Graphics are great, but it's with the sounds that the game really shine where it create a high tension experience. Danger may be (or not) at every corner... even behind you!
  21. Oct 27, 2012
    "Dead Space" plays like a cross between "Resident Evil 4" and "Bioshock". It has a similar look to "Doom 3" but it also borrows from the sci fi horror films "Alien" and "Event Horizon". This is an incredibly scary game that fans of "Gears of War" will appreciate due to its gory action. In "Dead Space", players are cast as spaceship engineer Isaac Clarke, an "everyman" who is forced to play hero when all hell breaks loose. The game begins when Clarke's ship arrives at the location of a distress signal sent by a mining vessel named the USG Ishimura. Due to a guidance system malfunction, the rescue ship crash lands into the Ishimura dock. Shortly after, grotesque creatures composed of human body parts appear and kill the entire crew except for Isaac, his commander and a computer specialist. With their ship out of commission, Isaac is asked by his fellow shipmates to help power the abandoned Ishimura. As he gathers and repairs parts, he discovers audio tapes that explain the appearance of the "Necromorphs". "Dead Space" is a survival horror game that conveys a sense of anxiety and dread in every segment. But it's also a highly-innovative third-person shooter with a heads-up display that appears as holograms on Isaac's spacesuit and weapons. While it's not as great as "Bioshock", "Dead Space" is still an excellent title. It's one of the scariest games you'll ever play. Expand
  22. Oct 7, 2012
    I rated this at a 2, to be nice. I bought it, tried and had regret after I played it. I really tried to give this a good try. The game mechanics were just annoying. The story reminded me of a cross between Doom and Quake 4. Both good games, but this game missed the mark for me. I am glad others enjoyed it, but this is one game I will never miss. Everyone says it's scary....I just wonder how. I hate writing negative reviews, it just feels wrong. Expand
  23. Aug 5, 2012
    Dead Space is a rare game. It's a game that does a lot of things so well, but also has those detractors that hold it back from becoming one of the all time greats. In terms of presentation, it's magnificent. The great story unravels and increases in complexity as you go on, it's atmosphere is frightening and tense, and the graphics and artistic design are phenomenal. It may not be the scariest game out there, as it loses its fright factor nearing the end, but it maintains a psychological element that makes you think sometimes whats real, and how you yourself would keep composed in that environment. However when it comes to the gameplay, it offers a unique, innovative mechanic but doesn't expand on it. The gameplay ultimately becomes repetitive (though not necessarily boring) and leaves you wishing you could do more. This is what holds the game back from the podium. As scary as it is, you still want to be on that ship with things wanting to kill you, you wish that the terror could have gone on longer, and that killing creatures and putting things here and fixing that weren't the only objectives you had to do. You may argue that there may not have been that much else to do, yet you still wonder. Dead Space may be lacking in the interactive department, but it comes out as a remarkable experience that you'll be thinking about for awhile. Expand
  24. Jul 29, 2012
    This is a very good game. One of the best survival-horror games in this generation. Graphics, music, atmosphere, gameplay and story are very good. Dead Space is scary and addictive game. "Only The Dead Survive"
  25. Jul 4, 2012
    A good game. Not a great game. This is another example of a game getting too much credit solely for it's graphics and unique concept. The gameplay itself is quite repetitive and consists mostly of walking into rooms, waiting for something to jump out, then shooting it - repeat this pattern about a hundred times and you have the gameplay of Dead Space. There are some interesting parts that break up the monotony, but those moments are too few and far between. Collapse
  26. Jun 27, 2012
    This game is great!! The game's pacing is excellent from beginning to end! First the story: I found it very interesting & compelling to boot it starts with Issac Clark & crew heading to a planet cracker class ship the ishimura to do a few repairs but soon as they get close things start to go wrong but when you get to the ishimura things get down right insane! Its Amos not for the faint of heart as the crew of the ishimura gets decimated in the WORST way imaginable,some even commit suicide by slitting their throats or blowing their heads off its quit graphic but I enjoyed this visceral experience from visceral games! Oh and your weapons(while not many)are a joy to use my favorite being the saw gun & flame thrower as you rip grotesque monsters limb from limb.literally lol this game does what resident evil quit giving survival horror gamers needed....a survival horror experience you'll enjoy until the very end!! Expand
  27. Feb 24, 2012
    This game is awesome but not the best. I don't have Dead Space 2 so i cant say which one is better this game is a game to get and you will love it is a horror and the first time i played it i got pretty scared from the aliens popping out of the walls at the most random times.
  28. Jan 18, 2012
    One of the best games I own. The horror elements and gameplay are both top notch. It'll have you both amazed and running for your life. Excellent game, almost a perfect ten.
  29. Nov 19, 2011
    It's really frightening and intense. It had me tense along the whole game and the experience is awesome. A challenging game, and one of the best survival horror game I've played at this time.
  30. Nov 10, 2011
    This game is a classic. Nothing negative to say about this game, other than it could have been a little bit longer. If you don't have this game, go and get it.
  31. Sep 19, 2011
    Dead Space is an amazing epic game! Graphics are nice and voice acting is credible. Story behind is quite interesting and you get tons of stressful situations. However, I must say that AI starts a bit off but gets much better during the game. Normal mode is quite easy but does not mean you should chose hard mode on your first round. Controls feel a bit weird at the beginning but you get use to it. Zero gravity is a pain in the ass but you can deal with it. Fortunately, Dead Space 2 shows lots of improvements and you definitely add them both to your collection. Did got any remarkable glitch, etc. Enjoy it!!! Expand
  32. Jun 14, 2011
    I almost had heart attack during the play throughout , is gorgeous and is a masterpiece in the macabre setting, the tension is incredible, this will be a hard player to most of the fear franchise to top. The ending will make you run out of your house. Is masterpice in sound design .
  33. May 30, 2011
    Great story driven third person shooter though not nearly as frightening as advertised.

Dead Space had me going from the start. The game starts out tense and only gets more interesting as time goes on. The entire game takes place on a derelict ship orbiting a mining colony on some distant planet. Almost the entire game takes place on the ship, but the different sections are varied
    enough that things donâ Expand
  34. May 6, 2011
    This is the first and only game i ever got a platinum trophy on - it is that addicting to play. I beat this game fully 4 times - and each time through was different and fun. Achieving the "one gun" trophy is probably the top highlight.
    The atmosphere and graphics are top-notch, and the pop-up suit GUI is also amazing.
    Get this FPS!!!!
  35. May 1, 2011
    First off, would like to say that for all those who complain about the pacing, it is a singular routed story that is trying to get from point A to B and is not suppose to be an open world exploratory because then it would lose the feel. Also, if the easiest setting was hard I beg to wonder what kind of games you have played prior. As for "repetitive" comments, please tell me what game within itself is not repetitive to some extent? What exactly was repetitive? Using "X" to open doors? Now, with all that this game is enjoyable both visually and playability. The controls were easy and fun to use, the camera control was easy and also helped to add dynamics and the diversity of weapons and abilities was great. The scare factor of the game was amazing and checks on all remarks of having that RE4 spook but higher. Fun twist in the story, though not out of the ordinary so don't expect to be blown away but still enjoyable. Loads of fun with the zero-gravity sections of the space-horror adventure and hoped there be more. Only complaints really would be that at times it would of been nice to have a "barrel roll" move to dodge and maneuver around groups of enemies and replay value is low outside of just achieving trophies. Still recommend it to be played and enjoyed at its simplicity and allow yourself to be taken into a scifi-horror roller coaster, Yippy Ki Aye MF! Expand
  36. Mar 17, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i found this was an alright game and in the begining i was so scared that i could only play this game for about 30 mins at a time but eventually it became repetitive and i stopped getting scared and was able to look at it like a normal gameinstead of a horror movie that i could pause whenever i want and start back up again later. i liked the endidng of the game but i am unsure if it his dead wife was actually on board with him as he escaped or if it was part of his insanity. either way i loved this game in the begining then that waned to contempt for the game and i liked how it is not that comlicated to figure every thing out sure you will die loads but you will eventually get it right. this is a must play but i am not sure if it is a must own but i liked it so ill hang onto it Expand
  37. Mar 13, 2011
    SO CLOSE to System Shock 2, but just one thing is off. I never felt in danger of running out of ammo at any point (except for on Hard, and while on that topic, when can we learn that Hard is not fin when you simply have to hit an enemy more times?). Why is plentiful ammo a bad thing? Survival horror is supposed to draw tension from the aspect that you are helpless and hopeless, and the true reward of the game comes from when you fall into a room of 50 monsters, you got our alive to the next area with only firing off a couple of well placed shots. Aside from this, the story and atmosphere were very compelling, and it was still a very good game. Expand
  38. Jan 23, 2011
    The atmosphere of this game is simply brilliant. I played it in 5.1 and the sounds... omg. But the game in itself becomes boring and frustrating after a while.

It is too repetitive, and at some points it is too difficult. For example when you are shooting the asteroids... Maybe on the PC version it's easier to play because you have more control with the mouse...

All in all it is not a
    bad game. I hope they will fix those problems in DS2. Expand
  39. Jan 10, 2011
    Although I seem to be in a very small minority, I just don't like this game. Firstly, it's really difficult, even on the easiest difficulty level. Secondly, it's too frightening to play for any length of time. I don't like the sensation of being in a state of panic for hours on end. Thirdly, it's too long and doesn't change up the pacing or variety enough.
  40. Dec 28, 2010
    A true great. A stand alone great game with excellent graphics and story and everything the new Resi and Silent Hill wasn't. I have been playing games for 20+ years and this one has what I look for, a bit of polish and effort from the developers. Play on normal and the scarcity of the health etc is about right for new gamers and experienced gamers of that genre, its a challange and a claustrophobic and disturbing thrill ride. Its the Dino crisis of PS3 but hopefully the sequel won't be as dissapointing. Get on it. Expand
  41. Dec 14, 2010
    This is one of the most goriest, scariest, most awesome and epic game I've never played before. I would say it's the goriest game ever....well, same with Mortal Kombat. The story is unbelievably amazing, I didn't expect it to be that interesting. The scare parts is actually scary. When an alien or something pops right behind me, I jump off my chair screaming. The aliens are interesting looking too. However, the boss levels are a little too easy, I actually got through the final boss without dying once. The main character, Isaac Clarke is cool and interesting to play as. The similar part about this game is that it looks like Resident Evil 4, except this game is more scary and interesting. If your a fan of a Third Person Shooter Horror genre, you will enjoy this game. Expand
  42. Dec 13, 2010
    brilliant i LOVED this game, this is why i'm a gamer. solid clever design, great guns and monsters with enjoyable fun puzzle elements. This really was a nice surprise in an era swamped by endless cash cow FPS multi player games with 5 hour single player and multi players FULL of glitching 14 yr olds
  43. Dec 12, 2010
    Dead Space! The graphics are spectacular! The sound and environments too! The difficult is very ambiguous, some levels are very easy and others are very difficult both that I crashed the control against my TV....

In General, This is a very good game, Dead space has a dye how between Shooter and Survival Horror...
    Good game!
  44. Nov 21, 2010
    this game is true survivle horror . it takes over where resident evil has lost its path . the game actaully tries to and does a fairly decent job at being scarry . this game also is best played on hard or impossable diffuculty . forget easy and normal you will have way to much ammo and the game isnt even a challange . impossable is the most fun thats when the game feels tense and a constent worry of do i have enough ammo should i run from the enimy or kill him? then enimys will jump into vents if you try to run and dropped down on you as you try to escape . it captures what i want theese kinds of games to do for me . make me tense and worried about my sitaution . it controls just like resident evil 4 and plays pretty much the same . the sound effects are really well done not as good as what some of the silent hill games have done to where there is constent noises that keep you on edge wondering is some thing there but the music can really get to you . espicially when you hear the erie twinkle twinkle little star song being sung . the story is well told and the feeling of being stranded on a dead space ship is done very well. the wepon selection feels differnt and uniqe . my only gripe with this game is that the final boss battle is just to easy even on impossable he is easily beatin with out even being touched but overal this game did what i was hoping it would do bring survivle horror back to where it belongs . hope the sequel does this all again. Expand
  45. Nov 13, 2010
    This game has a lot going for it: Great vocal performances, innovative real-time menu's, excellent graphics, and a tried and true concept that has managed to stay scary (for the most part) over the years. Then there's the bad parts, and there's too many of them just to push aside. Enemies are redundant, although I don't know what else you would expect in this type of game, and will suicide charge you right as you chop them into pieces. Some enemy types are very unique, while others are completely generic and a bore to kill. Twice through the game you take over AA-style guns; these sections are awful. The controls are slippery and the objects fly too fast to hit. You'll find yourself failing these sections due to bad luck rather than lack of skill. There are also several sections throughout the game in which you are barraged with all types of enemies. You will die, and more often than not, it'll be due to cheap shots. The story is cliched and it's fairly easy to predict what happens when. Jump scares are predictable and character deaths can be seen coming miles away. The ending is extremely subpar. It's not a bad game, but it needs touch ups here and there. And for god's sake make it scary next time. Expand
  46. Nov 4, 2010
    I have a soft spot for this game. This was my very first game i got for the PS3, hell i got it before i got a PS3. I find just about perfect, the edge of your seat excitement that many horror games are missing today. I can honestly say i have played this game 5 times, i love it that much. The sheer thrill of blasting apart a necramorph, the jump out your seat shriek of the enemy never gets old. I do have to say that by my 3rd play-though i could memorize the sequence of when i was going to be attacked, but it still shocked me on just how much fun that still is.The lighting is fantastic, the sounds are perfect, and the fact this game engulfs you into it by having no distracting hub is pure genius. Now, before i go ranting on about how much more i love this game, i do have to point out the faults. I am giving this game a perfect 10 because of just how much i love it, but that doesn't mean its perfect. I find the melee attacks useless, i know that its a smart idea to make sure Isaac isn't a karate master, but waving your arm around is just useless. The other part is that the text screens, such as instructions or collectible info, are so small its almost impossible to read. I do play this game on a HD TV, but i still cant see a thing. Though it should be mentioned that neither of these things ruin the experience, they just seem like an idea that didn't work. This game is a blast, though isn't for those with weak stomachs. I also don't understand why the PS3 version got a lower score, I have played both and could not find a difference but the controller. No matter what, this game will put you on the edge and make you want more. Expand
  47. Oct 26, 2010
    manages to fuse sci-fi with horror in a way which will massively please fans of both genres. Great design, look, sound, gore, story... One of my all time fav games and the most fun I've had on the ps3. I can't wait for the sequel! This isn't a really a review just a quick summary but please if you are looking for a good game at a good price check out Dead Space. Amazing.
  48. Oct 11, 2010
    I have been missing a good horror game in my life since the days of the original PlayStation and finally a good horror game that is not a sequel. I am definitely looking forward to how this franchise evolves.
  49. Sep 20, 2010
    This is a very solid game. In terms of gameplay it is the best survival horror game ever. However, the gameplay is not TERRIFYING, it did have some scary scenes, the atmosphere couldn't have been done better. The only real complaint is that it gets stale after 3-4 play through, but you will get your moneys worth definitely if you are looking for a scary, good gameplay. Also the storyline was good enough to be a movie, with some fantastic plot twists. And the voice acting was pretty good also. Expand
  50. Sep 2, 2010
    This game is INTENSE, and scary - damn scary. It's hard to scare me, but this game had me jump a few times - It rocks! Definitely worth buying and playing over and over again.
  51. Aug 29, 2010
    This was a great game. The story was very interesting and I always got scared. However, there are better games such as inFamous! It was amazing when I first had it and beat it. Then I got inFamous and fell in love. Overall, Dead Space is good to buy. For 20 dollars it is totally worth it.
  52. Air
    Aug 27, 2010
    Dead Space is a well-made, beautifully designed, and just plain fun Horror game that ultimately fails on one aspect- it isn't that scary. I know for a fact that I am a minority, but I have never found all this "here's a generic bloody mutant that is trying to kill you" formula all too frightening, and the fact that I bought Dead Space for the mere fact of it being called one of the "scariest games this generation" was kind of a let down. Luckily, everything else about this game is awesomely designed and intricately crafted. Controls are reminiscent of the more recent Resident Evil games, but for all you whiners, you can aim while you move! The cool thing about combat in Dead Space is that in order to kill most Necromorphs (the generic bloody mutants that are trying to kill you), you must dismember them, and not only does this require good aim, but it requires thought as well. There are many guns in this game, and each of them has a secondary attack which can be useful in different situations. Moving away from combat, which remains largely the same throughout the entire game, the basic backstory of this game is that you are an engineer on a ship with a crew who receives a distress signal. You then check it out to find that pretty much the entire crew has bit the dust, or turned into these Necromorph creatures. From there, the majority of the story is guided by video and audio logs, with the occasional human interaction. I was a huge fan of Star Trek television, and this premise nearly made me nerdgasm, but unfortunately, throughout the game, the story seems to often be forgotten at times, which is disappointing because the premise is really interesting and sets the stage for an awesome game. Dead Space tries to scare you by leaving you in the dark most of the time, and uses some cheap horror tactics such as the infamous popping-up-out-of-nowhere-in-your-face-monsters-while-it-is-quiet, and the graphics and sound in this game are incredible. Also, its obvious that immersion was a large focus of the Dead Space team, because there is no music and no HUD; only the sounds of the ship and floating holograms. Aside from the dismemberment-focused gunplay, Dead Space also brings a couple other cool things to the table. Number one, you have a "stasis" power which allows you to slow down enemies, giving you a better shot or more safety. Two, you have "kinesis" which is basically the force. Star Wars for the win. Third, there are quite a few zero-gravity segments which are awesome, so be prepared. Along with these, Dead Space also has a cool upgrade and shop system, just like Resident Evil. Overall, Dead Space is intricately designed, with much attention to detail. Combat is unique and fun, and Dead Space will probably be pretty scary for some people. I know for a fact that listening to Necromorphs making noises in the vents above you while you are walking down a hall is simply bloodcurdling, but in my head, Dead Space will live on as "that game with the cool combat and intriguing premise", and not "that game with the generic bloody mutants that are trying to kill me". Definitely worth the $20 it is priced at now, and Dead Space 2 is highly anticipated. Expand
  53. Jul 4, 2012

1. Dead Space is a beautiful videogame, showing incredible polish and detail in both the visuals and the control. The amount of love and attention packed into this title is apparent, as scares and action are perfectly blended. What an incredibly impressive way for a new survival horror franchise to debut!
  2. A spectacular game which shows vividly that "Resident Evil" is not the king of survival horrors anymore.
  3. The combat is fast and frantic, the interface excellent, the controls responsive, and it provides an overall satisfying experience. While it's fun, though, there isn't much that's memorable about Dead Space. It feels like patchwork that's been slapped together from other franchises, and it lacks a spirit of its own to make it stand out from the pack.