7.7

1. Nov 4, 2010
    this game was great, it was a mindless hack em up game that held my attention to the end, the large amount of weaponry was excellent, the story line was pretty well written, whenever i wanted to unwind i would play this game, absolutely worth the 10 dollars it is selling for......
  2. Oct 31, 2010
    The plot is funny, the lines are funny, the quests are awesome, cool gameplay, pretty much a very good game overall. The only negative thing would be the co-op, where it's extremely boring for the "sidekick" to play. Good game !
  3. Sep 12, 2010
    I really loved DeathSpank. So much, in fact, that it is my new online alias. It's a mindless hack-and-slash with hilarious quests, dialogue, and "cinematics." I want to let everyone know who decides to drop the $15 on this to please go in with an open mind. If you only like serious games, or think that video games aren't supposed to make you laugh, or perhaps you have a hard time noticingI really loved DeathSpank. So much, in fact, that it is my new online alias. It's a mindless hack-and-slash with hilarious quests, dialogue, and "cinematics." I want to let everyone know who decides to drop the $15 on this to please go in with an open mind. If you only like serious games, or think that video games aren't supposed to make you laugh, or perhaps you have a hard time noticing the small things, then this game probably isn't for you. Personally, I loved the attention to detail. Every NPC has a unique name, few of which are actual names (IE: Guy Who Lost His Wallet, Guy Who Needs a Friend). The way in which DeathSpank introduces himself or greets individuals (Greetings, Non-descript citizen!) is just fantastic, in my opinion. There are times when I had to repeat dialogue because it was just priceless. You really have to enjoy the little things in this game, and if you do, it's beyond "worth" the $15. Another example, is the way the character (in the inventory screen) reacts to certain items when equipped. If a weapon is equipped, he'll sometimes lower and cover his head, peeking upwards and waggling the weapon in the air to see if it does anything. If you equip some shoulder pads, he may do a little dance for you. The only reason this game gets a 9 from me, is the difficulty of some quests. There is minimal dialogue explaining the quests. Hints are given on an item basis (you must use an item to obtain a hint, up to 3 hints that will end up telling you exactly where to go, and the item seems to be quite rare and is not purchase-able, but drops from anywhere and anything). Other than that, I really enjoyed this game. As far as playability goes, it's perhaps worth a second play through with a friend, but once through was enough for me. I am VERY excited for the next comedic installment: "Thongs of Virtue." Expand
  4. Aug 30, 2010
    Started playing this game last night, and I must say, I haven't had this much fun in ages. The game is a blast, it's extremely well written, the dialog is hilarious, and the gameplay is also top notch. If you love old-school RPG's, you'll love this. 9 / 10 (I might change my rating after I finish the game).
  5. Aug 22, 2010
    Hothead Games, creators of the Penny Arcade downloadable game series, gives us a new RPG adventure to help quench our thirst of funny and action, wth this game being nothing different. In a nutshell, DeathSpank is a great Action RPG; with stellar game play, spectacular controls, hilarious plots and characters, and enough content to satisfy your hunger and give you back your $15.

To

To start off, meet DeathSpank, Hero to the Downtrodden, Vanquisher of Evil and Dispenser of Justice. All of his life he has searched for The Artifact, an object created for unknown reasons, with no one knowing exactly what The Artifact does, but DeathSpank quests for it because a mysterious gypsy told him too. Already this plot sounds hilarious, but that's all I can say without spoiling, because this plot has a lot of detail to it, but it also has a lot more side quests than plot quests. Even though a lot more of the characters in the game don't have anything to do with the plot, they're not lifeless, thanks to the wonderful voice acting of this game.

Oh, and did I forget to mention that this game took 6 YEARS to make? because I think that's a pretty big detail. I think it took this long because Hothead Games were too busy working on the Penny Arcade games to get to work on DeathSpank, being the independent developer they are. Moving away from that, some of you might go into this game thinking that this is a Diablo ripoff, well I've got a secret to tell ya...it is, and it's a good one too. This game is literally a combination of Diablo and Monkey Island, meaning the demonic world of Diablo is still there, just given the comedy treatment. Those who think that Diablo shouldn't be done like this, then stay far away. The controls and game play are really good, with only a few minor problems, but they're still great for a small, but experienced, developer. The combat of the game works a lot like this, you have four main weapons (along with an uneditable shield button) assigned to each one of the four face buttons, being able to switch out weapons from your inventory into the equip slots. You usually have at least one "weapon of justice", which is a weapon that has a special ability when your justice meter is maxed out, in one of the slots, and the other three either have three of your strongest melee weapons, or two of your strongest melee weapons and a ranged weapon. As with any comedy RPG, the weapons are usually funny, and there are also elemental weapons that do more damage to certain enemies.

Now there is actually a combo system in place, however you can only use two weapons at a time, but this is where the big strategy part of the game comes into place. Players can choose from a few main playing styles, they can focus on ranged weapons and shielding, melee weapons and shielding, or just plain gung ho all out melee, which will get you killed a lot quicker so focus on your health. Now the one thing that I can think of that's bad about this system is the lock on system, it is good at locking on to an enemy, but it's not always the enemy in front of you. Locking on to different enemies isn't easy. there must be something wrong with the detection, but it doesn't always take in the right stick movements. However this is overshadowed by the automatic lock-on system, so while this is a problem I hope is resolved some time later *coughsequelcough*, it's not really too much to worry about. The game also has a co-op system in place, however I haven't tried it because the game doesn't have online play, another problem that will hopefully be looked at in the near future. Saving the best for last, the biggest con of the game is the mapquest system...why not? you can't choose one quest to focus on, and there's no way to travel across the map or find the way to go without looking at the map all the time or having knowledge of the entire gaming environment. however this has been seen in the past, except instead, you didn't even have a map to look at, just a gray screen with a green dot representing you (The Legend of Zelda). So that's all of the big problems of the game, with the problems really not being that bad

DeathSpank is a great example of Hothead Games' work as an independent developer, showing that they have a bright future as a great developer. Right now this game is pretty underrated, so I ask of you to tell your friends about this game and keep an eye on these guys, just like how Pixeljunk Shooter 2 is mine when it comes out, these guys are also on my must-buy list.

1. Jan 15, 2011
    DeathSpank has stylish "paper cut-outs" as characters and scenery (which are especially impressive at a full HD resolution on PC), sharp dialogue, and nice music – it only needs thought-out gameplay to succeed. The game is hardly worth a second playthrough, and that's a death warrant for any aspiring Diablo clone.
  2. Dec 23, 2010
    DeathSpank takes roughly 8 hours to be cleared, an excellent length for a low-budget and cheap game. It's fun and engaging and unique enough to appeal fans of hack'n'slash games with it wide variety of items and locations. DeathSpank may not have any big expectation but it is nevertheless very enjoyable and polished to be suggested to any player looking for a funny, fast adventure.
    DeathSpank is fun to play, funny to watch and it allows a second player to jump in at any time and assist by playing sparkles the incredibly camp magical elf. What's not to love?