Def Jam: Icon PlayStation 3

4.4

1. OneA.
    Mar 17, 2007
    Besides the repetitive gameply slow control response- this is an audio centric game and I have to comment the audio. Three things about the audio bring down the score- the punches sound like the explosions and the over-all mix is sub par. Playing in game sounds louder then the cutscenes (which are way too quite) and the high end crib with the news reports are louder then both the Besides the repetitive gameply slow control response- this is an audio centric game and I have to comment the audio. Three things about the audio bring down the score- the punches sound like the explosions and the over-all mix is sub par. Playing in game sounds louder then the cutscenes (which are way too quite) and the high end crib with the news reports are louder then both the cutscenes and the in game. When I set my receiver volume I want to leave it set not boost it and lower it based on the mix. Also, they could have made much better use of the surrounds- the surround implementation is conservative. If it's a fighting game the fighting gameplay better be fantastic and if it's an audio game the audio better be top notch flying stars. Expand

1. Game Informer
    After a while, the recycled environments and repetitive battles start to feel like a chore rather than a reward. [Mar 2007, p.96]
  2. Play Magazine
    There's no way to imagine these fights as anything but someone's absurd rap fantasy that was somehow shoehorned onto a fighting game. [Mar 2007, p.53]
  3. Too bad the slow-as-molasses combat (and too-savvy computer-controlled opponents) keep this fighter from rivaling classics like "Tekken," "Street Fighter" and "Soul Calibur," but the innovative use of music, as both an aesthetic and a weapon, adds depth.