DmC: Devil May Cry PlayStation 3

5.2

1. Aug 18, 2015
    Change an iconic character's hair, and what do you get? Angry fanboys raging on Metacritic! DmC is a good game, get over it. I admit, I like the old Dante better, and the old dungeons and dragons feel of it, but this game is good in rights of its own. If it weren't associated with Devil May Cry, we would all be praising this game. The combat is BETTER, and the story is refreshing. TheChange an iconic character's hair, and what do you get? Angry fanboys raging on Metacritic! DmC is a good game, get over it. I admit, I like the old Dante better, and the old dungeons and dragons feel of it, but this game is good in rights of its own. If it weren't associated with Devil May Cry, we would all be praising this game. The combat is BETTER, and the story is refreshing. The relationship with Dante and Vergil was oustandingly made. I will also admit, Kat needed more depth in her character, and Dante was a bit out of the context at some point, but this could easily be one of the top 10 Hack 'n' Slash games ever. By the way, this review is coming from a HARDCORE Devil May Cry fan, so you know this is coming straight from the heart. That is just my opinion. A hater will always hate. 8/10. Great Game! Expand
  2. Aug 5, 2015
    Have been a DMC fan for years. Really liked this version. Gameplay was fast paced, funny, absurdly violent at times and just overall a lot of fun. Would highly recommend.
  3. Jul 4, 2015
    Here we have a prime example of another popular game series getting Metroid Other M'd. The game isn't great. It isn't unplayable, but it doesn't hold up to past DMC games nor does it transfer over the spirit of them.
    The previous games focused upon building your style meter, using varying combos so the meter doesn't go down from staleness and switching weapons on the fly.
    DmC: Devil May
    DmC: Devil May Cry smacks the controller out of your hand and says no, no stylish combos. You get babby mode. The game doesn't only encourage repeat combos or the same move over and over to build your style meter, it rewards it. No previous game in the franchise would allow you to shoot a boss to SSS rank style, no other attacks used.
    Weapon changing to maximize your combos? None of that, either. You can attempt it on some enemies, but you'll find yourself running into enemies that not only kill the pacing of the game, but the fun of it as well. These enemies are color coated, which means you need to use a specific hell or heaven item against them. So you can swap against 2 weapons of that color, because apparently the Rebellion can't touch them. (???)
    It's clearly marketed towards the younger generations, with Dante's new found edgy looks and personality, looking like he's getting ready for his Black Veil Brides debut. He's generally a dick for no reason as well, while older Dante had a cynical sarcasm that made us laugh. DmC Dante delivers one liners that kept me straight faced.
    The story is predictable, but takes turns. Dante suddenly hates his brother mid-arc because the game remembered what franchise it's milking off halfway through and figured it better overcompensate.

Is the game terrible? Not really. Is it bad compared to what it's trying to live up to? Absolutely. If this released as it's own game, maybe re-skinned with original characters and plot, I think I'd end up liking it. But even nostalgia goggles can't let me give this anything higher than a 3 for a solid effort.
  4. Jun 24, 2015
    Just because Dante has black hair doesn't mean this game gets a 2/10 it deserves this score for a couple of reasons, yes all the characters are unlikeable but the game also has a watered down combat system with no lock-on and no styles and the use of color coding. Not to mention it runs on the Unreal Engine 3 which takes long load times, texture pop-ups and the game runs at 30fpsJust because Dante has black hair doesn't mean this game gets a 2/10 it deserves this score for a couple of reasons, yes all the characters are unlikeable but the game also has a watered down combat system with no lock-on and no styles and the use of color coding. Not to mention it runs on the Unreal Engine 3 which takes long load times, texture pop-ups and the game runs at 30fps (thankfully the PC version runs at 60fps) DMC4 was released five years ago and it looks and runs better. The only positive I have was Limbo since I liked it's use of being very colorful. I recommend you get a rental or buy this game on sale. Expand
  5. May 19, 2015
    Okay before you play this game realize that if you are a hardcore fan of this franchise the character redesign along with the first few levels might make you what to do what many have done here on metacritic scream out and say "this game is the worst game ever" but in reality its not the worst thing ever this game simply melds fun fast gameplay with excellent visuals to create a great gameOkay before you play this game realize that if you are a hardcore fan of this franchise the character redesign along with the first few levels might make you what to do what many have done here on metacritic scream out and say "this game is the worst game ever" but in reality its not the worst thing ever this game simply melds fun fast gameplay with excellent visuals to create a great game in a gameplay front what makes the game suffer the most however is the story i wont get into to details but overall characters seem less flushed out then ever before and both old fans of dmc and brand new players will both likely not care or feel any emotion at all toward any of these characters which is a deep disappointment as you can tell the people over at ninja theory really wanted you to.

Pros
    gameplay is fast and fun
    visuals our on point and bosses our fun and original

Cons
    Characters are boring and lifeless
    you likely wont care about any part of the story
    preppy emo redesign can be annoying in the least
  6. May 14, 2015
  7. Mar 16, 2015
    A real Devil May Cry this game is not. The action is good at best, but almost everything just ruins the experience of tne game. The writting is awfull, scratch that, THE WRITTING IS ABYSMAL and tries to hard to be a social commentary of a world controled by demons and brainwashed by media and etc, and is also so pretentious that it may be wrote by David Cage. The characterization andA real Devil May Cry this game is not. The action is good at best, but almost everything just ruins the experience of tne game. The writting is awfull, scratch that, THE WRITTING IS ABYSMAL and tries to hard to be a social commentary of a world controled by demons and brainwashed by media and etc, and is also so pretentious that it may be wrote by David Cage. The characterization and change of the backstories of beloved characters of the franchise is downright insulting for a fan of the series and shows how pitifull people are to insult your favorite game calling "not cool anymore" with such masterpiece of failure. The gameplay was reduced to such a level that there's no learning curve or challenge in battle, also, removing essential things like a lock-on button or styles that are on previous games to spice the combat just cripples the experience for anyone starting to play this after DMC3 or DMC4. This games runs at 30 f*cking frames, have long loading screens, where Devil May Cry 4 run at a solid 60 frames ON CONSOLE and have quick loading screens. If you love Devil May Cry, don't bother with this game, it's not worth even if you find really cheap somewhere. If you want to play this, find it cheap, because full price for a insulting game is not worth. Expand
  8. Mar 15, 2015
    This is not a Devil May Cry. NT totally ruined title with this reboot. This game looks like bad parody of original games with poor combat system, bad protagonist etc. I want to forget this shame and I hope we'll never see a sequel/prequel/whatever of this crap.
  9. Mar 14, 2015
    As a newcomer to the series, I thought the medium difficulty was just right.. I didn't get stuck during the game, but meanwhile it did get tense, especially during boss fights.

The inventive unique grappling-hook-based platforming and the spectacular boss fights make me consider a higher score, but I think the core gameplay is too similar to its competitors, namely Bayonetta. I didn't see any ideas and think "wow, they came up with THAT?!" because I've already seen variations of it in other games. Actually, the hook-flying-thing felt unique and fresh. Gotta hand that to the devs.

The game's arenas have minimal variation in layout, it's most often just the same kind of basic arena setup with different background visuals, and it lacks the interaction with environment you find in some other games like Sleeping Dogs.. I think the game does excel as an ambitious whole, but it's still just 'above average' in regards to what you take away from the experience.
  10. Feb 8, 2015
    Its sad some people opened up a bunch of fake accounts just to bash on this great game, the combat was very fun but not perfect, the story was excellent too... The game did not receive one bad review from the critics, but gamers they love their soap opera stories, and Dantes long hair.
  11. Jan 2, 2015
    This game was painful. The gameplay and the new character designs were just plain bad. And the graphics, while having a pretty high polygon count, just look slimy and entirely unnatural. 4 out of 10, it's functional, but not a good game and not deserving of the DMC title.
  12. Dec 28, 2014
    This was my first DMC game in the series, so I cannot compare it to previous chapters, but if you're looking for a spectacle hack'n'slash action, you cannot go wrong with this. Me personally, I prefer my games to be something more than just a circus style button mashing and annihilating hordes of enemies, so it's not really my cup of tea, but I enjoyed the ride nevertheless, I liked theThis was my first DMC game in the series, so I cannot compare it to previous chapters, but if you're looking for a spectacle hack'n'slash action, you cannot go wrong with this. Me personally, I prefer my games to be something more than just a circus style button mashing and annihilating hordes of enemies, so it's not really my cup of tea, but I enjoyed the ride nevertheless, I liked the angel/demon theme, even the story and especially the music was fantastic, atmospheric instrumentals by Noisia and ass-kicking Combichrist during battles to make your blood pumping. Honestly, soundtrack is easily the best part of this game. Framerate on PS3 was not ideal, but definitely playable. If I was 10 years old, I would probably love this game. 6/10 Expand
  13. Dec 21, 2014
    This game was fun and beautifully designed. New Dante is fresh, badass, and has attitude. Unlike Capcom, Ninja Theory is actually capable of writing decent dialogue, so there's that as well. The story is somewhat stereotypical with a fairly obvious twist built in, but these games aren't really played for their story. The level design was unique and visually appealing. Here are my mainThis game was fun and beautifully designed. New Dante is fresh, badass, and has attitude. Unlike Capcom, Ninja Theory is actually capable of writing decent dialogue, so there's that as well. The story is somewhat stereotypical with a fairly obvious twist built in, but these games aren't really played for their story. The level design was unique and visually appealing. Here are my main complaints: there is a fair amount of platforming, which in itself isn't bad, but coupled with some awkward controls and poor depth perception it could get frustrating. Dante and Vergil were decent characters, but their female helper was a little over-dramatic. All in all, DmC: Devil May Cry was a really fun game, and if you must compare it to the original series, it was a solid reboot with many good changes. Expand
  14. Nov 27, 2014
    The combat makes it a seven.

Few games have such stylish and complex combat.

It's fun to play but the puzzle are too easy, the story leaves much to be desired and the monster designs are bland.
  15. Oct 24, 2014
    GREAT GAME, if it released as a new video game series and not use any Devil May Cry related.

I love the gameplay, fun and easy. The story isn't so bad, just forget about the related with any original DMC (name etc.). But I hate the character design. I love original Dante for his manhood, cherful, funny, stylish and his style. And Dante for this game is so bad, it like depressed guy

But I hate the character design. I love original Dante for his manhood, cherful, funny, stylish and his style. And Dante for this game is so bad, it like depressed guy and need a big help to settle his identity. His attitude doesn't attract me at all.

Second is, I don't like the color palete when entering limbo, make my eyes sick after play in 1 hour.

I think buy DMC 4 on PS3 is more worthed than buy this DMC. I just rent it and not feel that I should have this game on my home.

I still think it would be great game, if, stand with his own world and not use any related thing to original DMC.
  16. Oct 17, 2014
    DmC: Devil May Cry

Game-play:The game play of this game is very good with fast combos and lot of weapons with the new weapon select system that is great and fast but the game is easy very easy even in the hardest difficulty level and the boss fight are not that good as it was on the original Devil May Cry. Story:The story is fun and interesting the only thing that ruins the story of
    DmC: Devil May Cry

Story:The story is fun and interesting the only thing that ruins the story of this game is the character development that sucks the Dante have nothing in common with the classic Dante the only female in the game Kat is uninteresting and the Virgil one of my favourite characters in the original sucks as well.But the reboot in decent it gives us some completely different story from the original and that is partly good,it will keep you about 7 to 8 hours.

Graphics:I do not thing that the graphics in this game are so special.

Notes:I hate Dante's new look and the biggest mistake that i think this game done is the completely change look of the ebony and ivory the two bad ass pistols.you should buy this game if you are a hack n slash fun especially when it get a price drop.
  17. Oct 2, 2014
    The gameplay itself and some of the design is pretty good, however the storytelling is extremely cheesy and I personally couldn't get immersed in the story at all. Character development feels rushed and the "plot twist" is barely a twist.
  18. Aug 22, 2014
    Okay, so I'm usually against giving 0 scores, very few games deserve it, but this is one of the few. Now, I'm not basing this on the games thematic content, at least, not entirely. There's plenty of games whose content, characters and/or settings I find objectionable, but who's game play makes up for it; examples being Bayonetta and Jet Set Radio: the oversexualization of BayonettaOkay, so I'm usually against giving 0 scores, very few games deserve it, but this is one of the few. Now, I'm not basing this on the games thematic content, at least, not entirely. There's plenty of games whose content, characters and/or settings I find objectionable, but who's game play makes up for it; examples being Bayonetta and Jet Set Radio: the oversexualization of Bayonetta seemed like it was pandering to under sexed nerds and Jet Set Radio revolved around a bunch of taggers and graffiti "artist", that being a medium I despise and seems to only attract the scummiest people; but both those games exhibited amazing and addictive gameplay...so I really can't say no to them. DmC, however, does not have good gameplay.

I was even kind of excited about this game when I first heard Ninja Theory was doing it; of course I didn't like the douchey/eurotrashy look of Ninja Theories Dante, and I certainly didn't like the Combichrist on the soundtrack (you know, that band that people working at the Hot Topic think is industrial) but I had played Heavenly Sword, and the first half of Odyssey To The West and my general view was that both these games ran out of budget, and could have been great, given they had the time and money to finish them; so naturally, I thought "oh, but now they're getting a Capcom budget, so they'll have the time and the money". Sadly, as events unfolded, and the director got the spot light on him and more was revealed about his "philsophy" of game-making it became apparent that the flaws in these games were not due to circumstance, but were, in fact deliberate. They're one of those studios that buy into that accesible/cinematic/character driven form of game making, which I think is completely asinine, because, you know, just make a **** move if you want to do that **** So the combos aren't shallow in their games because they didn't have time to make a better fighting system, the platforming isn't easy and obvious because they didn't have the budget to develop it more, and the level design is bland because "they don't want to detract from their characters personality by making the world the focal point". And they brought that exact philosophy to DmC. It's easy, it's boring and it's simple, exactly like all Ninja Theory's games, and now they don't have that budge/time excuse to fall back on. Sure it looks nice, graphically (not so much design wise), but what's that thing people say about form without substance?

The most horrific thing about this though is that this the polar opposite of what Devil May Cry was, and what fans really wanted; just how different is almost unfathomable. All the styles, and the moves and the huge arsenal, they're all non-existent, or reduced to a fraction, in this game; and why not? This games so god damn easy that you'd never need to use any of that, which is also a serious departure from Devil May Cry. Also, the frame rate has been halved from the last game, and it's a different engine (unreal), which means you can expect textures popping in and out all over the place.

And, of course, I do have to talk about the characterizations and story a little bit; it's just so stupid and juvenile. Dante has no flair, or style and is completely unlikable as a character; he looks like one of those white kids you see begging for change in Berkeley California, you know, the ones that are just rebelling against their rich parents. And, actually, everyone in this game is pretty unlikable; it's like they took all the characters from the original series and intentionally made them their polar opposites.

And that's probably kind of what they did. The director had no problem telling people he didn't like the Devil May Cry series for its gameplay or it's content, so he had no problem bastardizing it and inserting what he thinks is "cool", because, you know, he knows best, obviously; and what's cool is, apparently, juvenile and asinine behavior from man-babies. It's actually kind of funny, if you look at a picture of this guy you'll see how big his ego is; his Dante is, essentially, an exaggerated version of himself, from the clothes to the haircut.

I just can't understand Capcoms decision to hand this franchise over to such a young company that had no love for the series. There's an episode of South Park about the fourth Indiana Jones movie, you know, the one we pretend never happened. In the episode Stan, I think, has a nightmare where Lucas and Spielberg corner Indiana Jones and, literally, rape him...and that's what this game is: it's a eurotrash director who listens to bad contemporary industrial music and has a stupid haircut taking Dante, bending him over and raping him; raping him til' he's angst-ridden and obnoxious.
  19. Jul 15, 2014
    Few games manage to make difficulty a genuine selling point, but the Devil May Cry games are an example of just that done well. DmC is not just a difficult combat driven game though; by re-envisioning the game series from a more western perspective, the game has been more grounded in western culture and as such this iteration has a far more engaging story compared to previous games in theFew games manage to make difficulty a genuine selling point, but the Devil May Cry games are an example of just that done well. DmC is not just a difficult combat driven game though; by re-envisioning the game series from a more western perspective, the game has been more grounded in western culture and as such this iteration has a far more engaging story compared to previous games in the series,

Gameplay wise, this is as you'd expect. There's a multitude of weapons, various different styles of combat and movement, and all of this is mapped to the controller in such a way that you'll need the use of every button. It's masterfully crafted, and while some changes are made, such as the guns being far less powerful in this incarnation of the series, it's all still very skill focused. There are less moves in this game compared to Devil May Cry 4, but what is here is plentiful and true mastery of these combat mechanics would take years. Any DMC fan wanting the challenge of previous games will not be disappointed, particularly with the additional difficulties unlocked after the first playthrough. Level design is very well set up, with storyline reasons behind the otherworldliness of the levels. Platforming sections break up the action well and fit nicely with the controls. Lastly there's the boss battles all of which fit the theme, require specific tactics and mastery of the controls; actually change their patters and tactics on different difficulty levels; and are genuinely inventive in design.

Storyline wise, whilst nothing groundbreaking in fiction, the story is a good example of an anti-corporate story in which a disenfranchised anarchic man-child learns to put his abilities to use to take down the corrupt corporate world powers who are, in this case literally, demonic evil. It's very reminiscent of They Live and has elements of George Orwell's 1984. Derivative sure, but well written, well paced, and an interesting attempt to tell an engaging story with a franchise that had previously never attempted to be more than a cheesy over-the-top animé.

All in all this is one of the best action games made in years and barring a few textures issues, slight screen tearing during cutscenes oddly though thankfully not during gameplay; this game has no real notable flaws. It's sad really that this site will be filled with pathetic squawking fanboys rating it unreasonably low because the developers changed Dante's hair colour (something they actually did for a story purpose that as a fan of the series I quite appreciated actually). If you see this game get it, the easy difficulty is accessible but still challenging for new players, while the extended difficulty modes will keep veteran fans going for years; couple that with a decent and well told story and you can't go wrong. An easy recommendation.
  20. Jun 30, 2014
    Finished the game & the Vergil's Downfall DLC. I must say, i'm impressed. Haven't play any of the DmC game before, so this is my first experience with the series. This game is awesome. Story of Dante & Vergil, the son of Eve & Sparda, Angel & Demon. Makes them a being called Nephilim. The only race that could defeat the demon king, Mundus. The story is quite simple though, just Dante,Finished the game & the Vergil's Downfall DLC. I must say, i'm impressed. Haven't play any of the DmC game before, so this is my first experience with the series. This game is awesome. Story of Dante & Vergil, the son of Eve & Sparda, Angel & Demon. Makes them a being called Nephilim. The only race that could defeat the demon king, Mundus. The story is quite simple though, just Dante, seeking revenge for killing his mother, while Vergil is trying to find "Freedom".

Plus point:
    - The new Dante is super badass! Like the coolest action hero for 2013. He is totally a memorable character.
    - A great battle system. Combo, combo, & combo. You can make your own combination and make an endless combo.
    - Well weapon style that can be upgraded, brings the battle to a whole new level. Maxed out all of your weapon level and you will have a superb Dante.

Minus point:
    - While the story is okay, the DLC's story was just crap. I mean it's cool that we get to play as Vergil, but the story itself is a total crap.
    - I don't usually play this kind of game. I started with the Demon Hunter difficulty, and it proves to be real hard for me. I guess the game itself is hard enough.

I enjoyed the game, although i'm not a fan of that genre. 8/10 for a great game.
  21. Jun 10, 2014
    This game is awful. This is extremely boring. All the chapters looks like the same.
    If you like to beat the same monster and demons, the same scenarios, etc, you should buy it!
  22. Jun 5, 2014
    This game is criticized heavily by the haters mostly due to the fact they are too in love with the previous Dante to appreciate a new one, which I'd be all too sympathetic with if not for how much a tool he was in Devil May Cry 4. If anything a reboot saved the original Dante from any further degradation. While DMC may never take the place of devil May Cry 3 in my heart, it has a lot toThis game is criticized heavily by the haters mostly due to the fact they are too in love with the previous Dante to appreciate a new one, which I'd be all too sympathetic with if not for how much a tool he was in Devil May Cry 4. If anything a reboot saved the original Dante from any further degradation. While DMC may never take the place of devil May Cry 3 in my heart, it has a lot to offer that people going into it wanting the game wanting to hate it will unfortunately miss. The combat was very fluid, and chaining hits together was easier and significantly more satisfying than in previous titles, admittedly the game had no manual lock on, but that was never as much of a problem as some people would make it out to be, enemies didn't suddenly disappear off-screen leaving you at the mercy of your blindside as the camera was responsive and seemed to know exactly what you wanted to focus on. I found new Dante had more depth as a character and developed a lot more over the course of the game than previous Dante who seemed to subscribe to a single personality trait (cockiness) through most of Devil May Cry 3, only showing an ounce of humanity near the end while it counted and through ALL of Devil May Cry 4 where he was a complete tool. The levels were well designed, and often tried to mix it up with a bit of platforming, which was cool. Devil trigger was awesome, a huge improvement, though I think the way new Dante obtained it was quite lack luster compared to original Dante. My only real issue with the game was the story, it felt very disconnected? Like there was the main objective of the game, which is obvious from the start, but to reach it you had to go through a lot of random and unconnected events, on top of that, while bosses that were in it were good, there seemed to be fewer than in the previous Devil May Cry's and I don't think they are as memorable as them in all honesty. The weapons were boss, you could attain some insane combos swapping between them, and I don't think there was a single one I didn't get on with, though I did favour the Aquilus, I won't lie.
    That's pretty much it to be honest, it's unfortunate this game got so much stick and while it has it's bad points, it's got plenty more good points to make up for it. This game won't be for everyone, if you're one of those people who is practically in love with original Dante and are completely against the idea of him changing then steer clear of the game, you'll go into it with a bad mindset and look for reasons to hate it. If you're more open minded, and like me favour original Dante, but can accept the idea of a reboot after they practically butchered him in DMC4, give it a try, it'll be like a breathe of fresh air. Though be prepared for some cheesey puns, because they were CRINGE-FULLY cheesey.
  23. Jun 1, 2014
    Now, I don't say this often. But this is, simply put, the best game I ever played in my life.

I've played lots of games. Tons amongst tons, but nothing ever drew me in like DmC: Devil May Cry did. The soundtrack is outstanding. With dubstep pieces from Nero and nice Metal from Combichrist. Both of these artist combined to make a soundtrack that pumps the game to a whole new level. The gameplay is at the top. It's simply the epitome of "Perfection". With a slash here and a fist slam there, all moves flow together to create a symphony of SSSensational combos. The story is also well made. The demons run the world through the media. From bankers to news reporters, every character shines brightly, even though, they're quite dark themselves. Dante, being revamped and all, is wonderful. Being a potty-mouth suits his look and style. His one-liners are also very amusing as well. There's never a dull moment with him. Vergil and Kat are really great supporting characters too. Kat is a nice semi-love interest and Vergil is one of those guys who you know will show his true colors later on. All in all, the game is simply PERFECT and everything flows together in one stream of fluid, swift and sweet goodness of a third-person action adventure game. Pick this game up, you won't regret it.
  24. May 14, 2014
    Starts off fun but difficulty and awful platforming increases to the point of rage-quitting frustration (this is on easiest difficulty). The awful platforming might be tolerable if the checkpoints had any respect for the player's time. Attention game developers: when a player selects "easy" the game should be easy! Good for about 5 hours but I can't recommend it after that. The game doesStarts off fun but difficulty and awful platforming increases to the point of rage-quitting frustration (this is on easiest difficulty). The awful platforming might be tolerable if the checkpoints had any respect for the player's time. Attention game developers: when a player selects "easy" the game should be easy! Good for about 5 hours but I can't recommend it after that. The game does have great art and style, however. Expand
  25. May 13, 2014
    Story: Ninja Theory actually put more effort on its story than any of its predecessors did. You play as Dante who has been brought to the Order (an anti-media cult) to help expose the demons that control the human population, while at the same time, poking fun at real life media (FOX news, sprite, a certain news reporter, etc.) in the process. If you've seen the cult film "They Live", thenStory: Ninja Theory actually put more effort on its story than any of its predecessors did. You play as Dante who has been brought to the Order (an anti-media cult) to help expose the demons that control the human population, while at the same time, poking fun at real life media (FOX news, sprite, a certain news reporter, etc.) in the process. If you've seen the cult film "They Live", then you know what the story is about. I found it unique how Ninja Theory made the demons able to control the humans with hidden cameras, poisoned sodas, corrupted news stations, and other unique ways. The characters however, are weak (especially when compared to the original 4 games).The new Dante's look is more of a punk teen rather than an emo, but his personality still sucks as he acts all selfish and tough around the rest of the cast. Plus, his one-liners suck compared to the original Dante (also hated how Ninja Theory basically insulted the original DMC series with that awful wig joke). Vergil is also weaker compared to his DMC3 counterpart not just in look, but in personality as he also acts selfish and does some controversial actions during the game (won't say as it'll spoil it). Kat (Dante's love interest) is also forgettable as she doesn't do much in the game. The rest of the characters like Mundus, his wife, and most of the bosses are also forgettable. The only interesting guy is Bob Barbas, but only because of how much of a hilarious jackass he is. The dialogue and voice acting aren't great either, and the ending was predictable (especially if you've played DMC3). Overall, this may be the best DMC plot, but that ain't saying much. 6/10

Gameplay:
    DMC is by far the EASIEST DMC game of the franchise, so if you're expecting a challenging hack-and-slash game, you'll be disappointed. There are 5 weapons in total: Your Rebellion sword, 2 angel weapons (fast, agile, and useful on crowds), and 2 demon weapons (slow, powerful, and deadly against single enemies), and swapping from normal, to angel, and to demon is as simple as holding a trigger. There are a few firearms (including Ebony and Ivory) in the game, and all of them are weaker than they've ever been. Luckily, there's a good amount of enemies to keep the gameplay entertaining. One big change to the gameplay is the style system. It's true you could "button-mash" your way to an SSS rating, but you're better off mixing up your combos as using the same move lowers it's value more. I really liked the skill system in this game since you could invest in a new combo, and you could remove that point to relocate it to some other combo all for free. This game does get challenging once you get to "Son of Sparda" mode and other higher difficulties (there are some exploits that make the combat more easier). You also get to use angel whips (pull you towards targets), and demon pulls (pull targets towards you) to make for some well made platformer sequences, along with the return of "Devil Trigger" (special ability). After a few updates, Ninja Theory added "Bloody Palace" (type of survival) mode as free DLC, so you'll be busy for a while after completing the story mode. The gameplay is great, but not at the same level as DMC3 or 4. 8/10

Graphics:
    The game's graphics are above average. The models look decent, the textures look decent, the lighting is solid, and the environments look okay. 6/10

Sound:
    The game has a good score. There are some songs by Combichrist that are my personnel favorites, but there are some songs that didn't stick inside my head after I finished playing. The in-game battle sounds are really good though. 7/10

Multiplayer:
    Only leaderboards.

Verdict:
    This reboot isn't as bad as everyone's saying, but it isn't the best DMC out there (I still recommend you get the HD collection 1st before this one). At it's current price, you could pick it up, or rent it if you like. Despite my thoughts on this, I'm still down for an improved sequel in the future.

Rating: 7/10
  26. May 8, 2014
    This game is great only if your not an fan to the series.Fans is all that mean for a game to still exist...soo yeah...this game doesn't have a lot of good terms in it like : the story is very poor ,common but interesting ; the characters are the worst thing of the game + the dialogue and the graphics are poor .. nothing impressive
  27. UCA
    May 5, 2014
    It's a diffcult game. But I think this game is too simple because you really only can be two skills, dodge an attack and attack with your weapon or magic.
  28. May 4, 2014
    An absolutely fantastic and true addition to the DMC universe. Being a dedicated fan od the original series that has played through all versions multiple times (especially 4), I can honestly say that this game fits in almost perfectly, and I dont say this in a negative way. Everything from the combat, environments, soundtracks and storytelling fell DMC, but they refreshingly are not justAn absolutely fantastic and true addition to the DMC universe. Being a dedicated fan od the original series that has played through all versions multiple times (especially 4), I can honestly say that this game fits in almost perfectly, and I dont say this in a negative way. Everything from the combat, environments, soundtracks and storytelling fell DMC, but they refreshingly are not just more of the same. The combat fundamentals I suppose are easier to master, however the endless possibilities for strategies and of course combos are what sets this version apart. Being able to switch weapons instantly mid combo is such a leap above having to pause the game there isnt much argument here. The wide open level design with floaty platforms are such a pleasure to float through with the angel lift, and the atmospheric soundtracks really add to the sense of flying. The story pays so much to the original lore a true fan cannot helped to be moved by it. I m quite upset that I, like many others, passed this title up originally just on the character redesign (which actually plays so nicely into this prequel). I can only imagine how incredible a sequel would be from NT, heres hoping capcom gives them the opportunity. Expand
  29. Apr 30, 2014
    I myself like the game entirely. Graphic wise it was a piece of art. The game style and the play remind me a bit of infamous so I could jump in right away. Also its a new story so any one could jump in and understand a bit what is going on.
    Overall I give this game a ten since even after you play it over and over its still pretty good and the hardest difficulty is really amazing, a good experience.
  30. Apr 6, 2014
    I played because it in PS plus, and woah! I really like it. Full action packed game, challenging combats that makes you think how to beat enemies that have weak and strong points. I also found characters more charismatic than in the former games.

1. Jul 30, 2013
    If nothing else, DmC is sure to entertain with many hours of button hammering, fizzing combat. However, the experience as whole has hugely benefitted from a reboot and those who are familiar with the series will appreciate the new features and relish the opportunity relive Dante’s origin story. DmC, as a combat driven action title has held together the soul of the franchise, while enhancing all in-game features to create a unique experience for everyone.
  2. Ninja Theory deserves credit for not only delivering smooth combat and telling an entertaining story, but also for crafting detailed character models without lip-synch errors, who show real emotion and wear clothing that moves along with them. This is what a 2013-game should look like. [February 2013, p.72]
  3. Mar 12, 2013
    Ninja Theory are calling the DMC shots now and they're doing it well. The fighting mechanics are a little bit easier to master and perhaps not as deep as before, but on the other hand the storytelling is improved with skillfully crafted cutscenes. Put up with a rather dull introduction and you're in for a great game.