Dragon's Crown PlayStation 3

8.3

1. Dec 29, 2014
    Arcade style hack n' slash is brought back with a gorgeous art style and deep RPG elements. Collecting loot and slaying monsters in four player co-op is a blast and the game provides plenty of fun as a single-player experience as well. The wealth of content is sure to keep you coming back time and time again.

There are plenty of side-quests and some great post-game content. Some things

There are plenty of side-quests and some great post-game content. Some things can come off as a grind, but overall the excellent action kept me very engaged. Speaking of the action the gorgeous art style leads to every fight exploding with color. It's a sight to behold even if you can lose track of your character in all the madness. Also the overly-sexualized appearances of all the female characters is sure to offend some. However I don't see why that would detract from how fantastic the gameplay is.

It's an excellent combination of old-school gameplay with modern improvements. The co-op and the large amount of content is sure to keep you coming back. It's the type of game I would like to see more of in the future.
  2. Nov 13, 2013
    The game is good, not great (as a linear button masher, just like the classics from yore). It's a beautiful game, also, with a gorgeous medieval setting; the characters are varied, there are tons of loot and cool stuff to do (both off and online). But there's a tricky thing going on here hence my not so great grade. Dragons Crown is extremely repetitive. And the worst part is that theThe game is good, not great (as a linear button masher, just like the classics from yore). It's a beautiful game, also, with a gorgeous medieval setting; the characters are varied, there are tons of loot and cool stuff to do (both off and online). But there's a tricky thing going on here hence my not so great grade. Dragons Crown is extremely repetitive. And the worst part is that the game forces you to keep doing the same dungeons over and over again just for the sake of leveling up and fighting harder versions of you guess the SAME dungeons. IMO this is something cheap and lazy. My actual grade here would be 6,5 (mostly because of artistic values); other then that, extremely repetitive and, eventually, boring and not compelling. Nice game, for sure, but can be missed. Expand
  3. ERB
    Aug 6, 2013
    Game is yeah practically good.Game play is good and even story is not bad.My only problem is the characters I think these characters are lame.I don't like any single character in there.But still I will give it a 6/10 because story is good and even the game play.
  4. Aug 7, 2013
    The side scrolling beat-em-up game here is top notch. There's skill and item systems that give you a lot of options in how you set up for each level, and the game is better for it. The storyline isn't overly memorable, but accomplishes the goal of giving direction to the game. I find the narrator's accent suits the game surprisingly well, though there's other voice options if you don'tThe side scrolling beat-em-up game here is top notch. There's skill and item systems that give you a lot of options in how you set up for each level, and the game is better for it. The storyline isn't overly memorable, but accomplishes the goal of giving direction to the game. I find the narrator's accent suits the game surprisingly well, though there's other voice options if you don't like it (nice touch).

The animations are great. The art style is polarizing, as I'm sure you've noticed. Due to that, I'm ignoring it in this review.

The big thing for me is the multiplayer. Actually playing levels with friends is so smooth that it's like playing locally. I was impressed by that.

I was NOT impressed by the MP matchmaking/lobby system. There's no way to invite a friend to your game. What you have to do is open a slot in the tavern (and fill any other slots you don't want with people with NPCs, then close them), then walk to the stables/gate and wait. Your friend then has to find you and join your game... except when the game thinks you're in another area that can't add people. Which it does, frequently. There's no friends-only mode, if you jump into a level without waiting your friend to join, a random person might join instead.

Once you finish the level you go back to your respective towns and next level you have to go through the join dance again. As levels are all under 20 minutes long, you'll be doing this a lot. About half the time we had to go in and out of zones and turn network mode off/on before it'd pick up that the game was available to join. It's odd how inept this part is, given how smooth and great the actual online gameplay is once you get it going.

Despite the issues MP is still great, particularly if you can get voice chat going with friends and you try to take complimentary skills. Voice chat is also handy to tell someone to stop moving when you're trying to activate rune magic (which is cumbersome to do in combat).

There's a limited number of levels, and they're not huge. Hopefully they add more in DLC. They do get branching paths later in the game which does add some extra levels. Bosses are varied and interesting.

All in all this is a great entry in the genre, and it's nice to see it get some love again.
  5. Jan 5, 2014
    A modern artistic take on the retro 2D side scroller.
    This beautifully crafted and intricately detailed game is a must have for any gamer, Offering Tons of ways to play, 6 classes and ample customization,Heaps of side quests, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
    A modern artistic take on the retro 2D side scroller.
    As well as being one of the best looking games I've played in a long time, Dragons crown is also one of the best sounding, with unique music for each area.

This is a game you have to get, you owe it to yourself as a gamer.
  6. Mar 2, 2014
    Dragon's Crown is a Golden Axe remake. It is beautiful 2D graphics will make anyone fall in love with it (unless they are are gender right activists). Its aret is so good that it is possible to spend some time just enjoying the views instead of playing.
    However the gameplay falls flat on its face. Its is riddle with old problems of side scrollers like trying to hit a monster and hitting emptiness because the game thinks that you are too high or low comparing to monster on the screen. Its especially frustrating trying to hit a boss monster that is taking up most of the screen and still miss ... That is a biggest thing for me as fun killer however there are other additional problems like lack of variety in character customization and attack variety (although for a 2D game its up to par) some wonky dynamics like making player run around screen collecting spent arrows or spending time charging magic which only make this game more of a chore. Also there is a huge problem when playing in a party as allies easily make you loose track of your own character by blocking the view. Game repeatedly forces player into repeating the same 9 levels for quiet a while till finally unlocking a randomized dungeon for an unknown reason even thought randomized dungeon is where all the fun is at. It spices things up with enemy variations and is really well done too bad its unlocked so late.
    Overall the gameplay is very bland and I would have never played this game if I didnt love the art design. However even in the state it is in right now it is possible to spend a bit of time mindlessly blowing away some monsters in a beautiful 2D world.
  7. Feb 1, 2014
    this has become one of my favorite games on ps3, and man do i wish it was released on PC too!

the game is pretty repetitive overall, but it's got enough variance for me in terms of the actual combos and building of your character. and mainly, the random loot drops! ahhhh, this satisfies my loot fever nicely. really enjoyable overall imho. i can throw it on for a quick 10 minute run

really enjoyable overall imho. i can throw it on for a quick 10 minute run of a dungeon, or do them back to back for increased bonus' till all my gear is broken and i have to try again. they even patched a lot of great updates into the game for free recently. higher level cap, and 10,000 floor dungeon!

i ended up buying this on vita also. a couple times i've played it at a friends house online with my vita, and just looked at his TV set to control my character. kind of lame that you can't just both sign onto the ps3 somehow and use your own characters though. not a huge deal overall, can still play local co op but only with characters found on the logged in persons account.

definitely check this game out!
  8. Aug 14, 2013
    Vanillaware gold. Gorgeous art, beautiful music, excellent gameplay-- for folks who remember the days of arcade hack-n-slash-fests like Gauntlet, and even for people who love the more modern interpretations like Castle Crashers. All the charm of Odin's Sphere with extremely satisfying beat 'em up gameplay. The added old school DM style narration is excellent, and the shamelessness of theVanillaware gold. Gorgeous art, beautiful music, excellent gameplay-- for folks who remember the days of arcade hack-n-slash-fests like Gauntlet, and even for people who love the more modern interpretations like Castle Crashers. All the charm of Odin's Sphere with extremely satisfying beat 'em up gameplay. The added old school DM style narration is excellent, and the shamelessness of the cheesecake and beefcake men and women is always entertaining. Expand
  9. Nov 15, 2015
    This game does not want you to play with friends. You have to complete the first section of the game (fine, I need to get use to it) but then you can only play random levels you have already completed. Want to collect the 9 talismen with friends? tough, complete it first then come back to it. D&D Mystara is more fun, give that a go instead
  10. Aug 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While not exactly great or with huge replayabaility, the game does stand well and is not all fan-service game, it has of course, but, if you play it, you may like it.

Levels are repetitive and you need a lot of grinding to get to high levels, and the voice directing you can get on your nerves, the lack of levels and more enemy variety does hurt the game though. It certainly could use a lot more levels, even with branching. Levels are the same in any difficulty. And changing the difficulty only results in higher level cap and higher level enemies, which, also hurt the game even more. It's all the same. No replayability unless you enjoy killing the same enemies over and over again.
  11. Oct 19, 2013
    As you already know Dragons Crown is 2D side scrolling beat em up with a glorious art style. It also has some RPG elements such as leveling up, different character classes and spending loot to customize your character with equipment, magic and upgrade abilities. The hope is your getting a kind of 2D Dark Souls unfortunately Dragons Crown doesn't quite manage to deliver in terms ofAs you already know Dragons Crown is 2D side scrolling beat em up with a glorious art style. It also has some RPG elements such as leveling up, different character classes and spending loot to customize your character with equipment, magic and upgrade abilities. The hope is your getting a kind of 2D Dark Souls unfortunately Dragons Crown doesn't quite manage to deliver in terms of gameplay.

Things hold together quite well for the first few hours while it's still easy. The combat is simple but fun button mashing. The games sumptuous visuals and tidy presentation impress. The wealth of loot and items to spend it on show a good level of depth.

Then you find yourself having to repeat levels to complete side quests. Suddenly there's a lot more enemies on screen and they take a lot more hits to kill. With so much happening all at once you struggle to see your character. You keep getting hit, it feels unfair so you repeat levels again and again to level up and make your character stronger.

And this is the fatal flaw with Dragons Crown. There's no real skill or mastery to it. It's simply a case of repeating the same few stages over and over to level up so you can button mash enemies to death. If you've played Vanillaware's previous game Muramasa then you will find this game shares most of the same problems. If Vanillaware can figure out how to make there games as appealing to play as to look at then we will have a great game.
  12. Aug 6, 2013
    Definitely cool to see a new game made with the side scrolling hack n slash formula of old with RPG elements. I am really enjoying this game right now and it's nice to see something different then the 50 shooters that come out every year.
  13. Aug 6, 2013
    Absolutely gorgeous 2D art and animation, need more games like this these days. I also got the free art book, very nice. Congrats ATLAS on this massive hit!
  14. Sep 22, 2013
    An amazing beat em up like I haven't seen in a while, couch co-op with 3 other friends is something I've been craving for sometime now. The art direction is something worth noting, it's beautiful in every aspect and the animations are superb....breathtaking really. Even with the women objectivization controversy, it's hard not to appreciate the care that has been put into every frame andAn amazing beat em up like I haven't seen in a while, couch co-op with 3 other friends is something I've been craving for sometime now. The art direction is something worth noting, it's beautiful in every aspect and the animations are superb....breathtaking really. Even with the women objectivization controversy, it's hard not to appreciate the care that has been put into every frame and art design. Skill trees are balanced and it's fun to experiment with other classes, though mages may be a little bit on the spamming side since their AoE attacks are kind of distracting. There is only a couple of reasons I'm not giving it a 10, and that is the oversimplification of the gameplay process, since everyhing you do with square button. attack=square, run=hold square and walk, defend=hold square while standing, launch=up and square, slide= down and square.... you get the idea. Only a small amount of actions require other inputs, and that makes it feel a little bit boring after a while, since you start feeling like a little kid mashing the square button. It also makes it difficult to try to play with advanced tactics, for instance: if you want to deliver a 4 hit combo, slide, launch the oponent and defend after, it translates into 4 squr, down squr, up squr and hold squr; so, it kind of difficults efective coordination. Another negative aspect is the lack of diverse character classes, since you're restricted to 3 warrior tanks, 2 offensive spellcasters and 1 rogue which is more of an archer type; it would've been nice to get more rogue jobs (a proper thief, like Ranie but playable) and a cleric/acolyte class. Overall they're a small nuissance, but one that manages to take perfection away from this game. In any case, this is a must have if you're either nostalgic, fond of adventures, eager for local multiplayer or a fan of medieval fantasies. Expand
  15. Aug 20, 2013
    Dragon's Crown will probably end up being my game of the year. Amazing art direction and aesthetic, super fun gameplay, decently high skill ceiling (at least for Elf), and a God-tier soundtrack. My only complaint is similar to that of other Vanillaware games... not enough content. Admittedly I've played the game for ~55 hours so far and haven't felt this to be an issue, but I can see howDragon's Crown will probably end up being my game of the year. Amazing art direction and aesthetic, super fun gameplay, decently high skill ceiling (at least for Elf), and a God-tier soundtrack. My only complaint is similar to that of other Vanillaware games... not enough content. Admittedly I've played the game for ~55 hours so far and haven't felt this to be an issue, but I can see how it would be for some. The randomized Labyrinth of Chaos end-game dungeon definitely alleviates this complaint to a degree, but you have to play through the first 9 stages/18 paths quite a few times before unlocking it fully. Expand
  16. Nov 28, 2016
    This game is utter perfection. The art, the speed, the range of difficulty, the amount of gameplay.... this is not only one of the best co-op rpgs games to exist, but possibly one of the best co op or RPGS of the decade plain and simple.
  17. Sep 26, 2013
    This game is amazing, I know everybody is talking about the hyper-fantasy art style with giant musclemen and mega-endowed ladies, but aside from the boosted up secondary sex characteristics (which are masterfully and lovingly painted by the way) every section of every level, every enemy type, and every boss monster looks BEAUTIFUL.

The gameplay is outstanding, very responsive controls

The gameplay is outstanding, very responsive controls in a slick beat-em-up package with a variety of playstyles represented by different characters. There are RPG elements such as level ups, putting points into skills, and collecting loot to equip. The loot is always tailored to your level & class, and you often get nice gear just one level away to keep you tantalized.

The Dwarf is a hilarious class to play, picking up monsters and throwing them into each other, snatching them out of the air and doing a spinning throw to crater them into the earth and creating a blast wave that decimates their friends. I feel like a big time wrassler man playing him.

The Fighter is way faster than his looks would tell you, he's also a blocky fella with a skill that allows him a chance to auto-block attacks, and another skill that makes him go all super saiyan when he does block an attack. His whole deal is hyperfast sword swings and an ability to air combo things for days.

The Amazon is a musclebound lady who crushes things with a giant polearm, or spins through the air like a flying buzzsaw. If she plants that polearm in the ground then she'll start doing super fast kicks and boot the enemy around like a sportball.

The Sorceress is my favorite magic user, she can zip through the air on her staff as if she was riding a speedy broom, and blast things with elements based on the staff she is using. She also has skills that give her books of spells to read and cast massive screen wide spells that decimate basic enemies and bosses alike, protect your party from damage, or make healing food for them. She also can summon skeletal minions (It is a trend in vanillaware games to have necromancers be well endowed "lifegiving mothers" rather than grizzled old men who -command- the dead to rise up)

The Wizard is the other spell caster, he (as of the latest patch) can overcharge himself to do more damage with his spells, he also gets a insanely powerful spell that takes a VERY long time to cast. He has a lot of fire spellbooks and his most important spell is probably "Slow" which can stop bosses in their tracks and allow your party to decimate them.

The Elf feels like a jack of all trades, master of none. She can do kicky melee, she can cast "spirit magic" based on the elements around her (fire near a torch or fire magic, water in a pool of water, air is default, and more) she cal also fire arrows coated in fire or poison and make burning fires or pools of poison with them.

I suggest to everyone who is a fan of sidescrolling beat-em-ups like Final fight, Streets of Rage, or any of the delightful arcade games such as the AvP beat-em-up (which used to be my favorite in the genre before this came out!) to get this game. Don't listen to any controversy, enjoy the game and feel no shame.
  18. Jun 15, 2014
    If this were a strictly side-scrolling beat em up like I initially thought it was going to be, I would rank this game higher, but having to traverse through the menus changing your equipment and sit through all the storyboard cut scenes takes alot of the fun away.
  19. Dec 26, 2013
    Dragon's Crown can be easily classified as the best beat 'em up of the current generation with a plus: it's a RPG with a story told in a classic way adapted to a game language.

The art of Vanillaware is amazing. The advantage of 2D is that it doesn't get old as the 3D does. So if you play this game years from now it will still look brilliant. I've read many comments and reviews saying that the art in this game is offensive and sexualized. Well, it highlights women's attribute. But it's the artist's style. Come on, guys. It's like saying that all the paintings on the museums containing nudity are offensive. They are simply art. I don't understand why the western culture is so paranoid about this.

There's a good amount of content to be unlocked and characters to play with. I've read some articles saying that the beat 'em up genre is doomed, but this game proves that it isn't. You can have a really good time playing solo or with your friends.

We must thank Atlus for helping this game to be launched. They're simply one of the best companies to release japanese games on the west. Oh, and if you're fan of Monty Python you must see the tribute that Dragon's Crown offers in a specific stage!
  20. Dec 7, 2013
    A travel back in time, but with more understanding of what is an effective game. It's surely not the king of the beat them all legacy, but it stands on the higher grounds! An absolutely gorgeous piece of art! Recommended for all ps3 owners!
  21. Aug 19, 2013
    The world of Hydeland is rich with legends, myths, and treasures just waiting to be discovered. Many speak of these treasures and folk tales but few are strong or capable enough to withstand the trials to obtain such riches. Though it is a daunting challenge, you don't have to take this journey solo. You can even gather a team of adventurers to take down the foes who block your path. ThisThe world of Hydeland is rich with legends, myths, and treasures just waiting to be discovered. Many speak of these treasures and folk tales but few are strong or capable enough to withstand the trials to obtain such riches. Though it is a daunting challenge, you don't have to take this journey solo. You can even gather a team of adventurers to take down the foes who block your path. This is more than just hunting for treasure, you come to find out that your very existence may be riding on the travels that you and your companions venture on. Guided by supernatural entities you become a critical component of preventing the world's end.

Read the full review here: http://www.gamefan365.com/2013/08/review-dragons-crown-looters-paradise-45.html#more
  22. Aug 8, 2013
    Vanillaware never stopped to impress us gamers. Game after game they make beautiful gems. Dragon's Crown is a Homage to old school hack n Slash games while adding their own signature style of game play. To those who say that this game is sexist I say you are idiots. THIS IS ART!!
  23. Aug 11, 2013
    First let me say this game this game is not for everyone. Having said that being a great fan of Vanillaware's Odin Sphere on PS2 I knew I would love this game and I do.

Dragon's Crown is a love letter to DnD and beat em up fans. The art direction is jawdroppingly amazing. The characters and environments must be seen to be believed. Character progression is varied and satisfying. Combat is fun and fluid, although somewhat difficult to hit your enemies with ranged attacks. Voice work is quite good and I loved that all the characters could be chosen as the dungeon master...I mean narrator. The purists even have the option for Japanese voice work. The music score is beautiful but oddly enough, is only in stereo. You won't care after five minutes of Kamitani's masterwork in gaming visuals. Online is unlocked only after a significant amount of time has been put into the game, but local co-op can be enjoyed right from the start.

Vannilaware has made a masterpiece, if you enjoy rpg's, beat em ups, or just art you would be remiss to not check out Dragon's Crown.
  24. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece, no doubt. It is inspired by the classics of the past, and adds strategic features and a really good multiplayer that make the game really superb. Those who do not go beyond the exasperation anatomical, are limited. That's right: the limit belongs to them, not the game of Vanillaware.
  25. Oct 29, 2013
    Dragon's Crown is a 2D retro like brawler with outstanding visuals. The character classes feel different from one another with their amazing skill trees and the loot system leaves you wanting for more. The story is 'meh' but the gameplay and sheer fun of online play covers that up very well.
  26. Aug 6, 2013
    If your big fan of old school games like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, this is a definite must buy.

Hopefully Sega will see this game's success and give us our rightful Streets of Rage sequel.
  27. Sep 11, 2013
    Simple gameplay it reminds me of Golden Axe, but a more advanced version of course ).
    Graphically stunning, with a truly unique art style, terrific production values. I imported it to the UK from VGP and it came with a lovely artbook. A few weeks later I see its now getting an official UK release with the same artbook...oh well....still cost me the same regardless and thanks to it being PS3 its region free !
    Highly recommended game as is VGP- Video games plus, for that matter
  28. Aug 6, 2013
    Greatest "golden axe" ever seen.
    Plus
    Customization, animation and style.
    Minus
    Very low amount of levels and after 2 time it dont look like diablo.

Playing with friends is fantastic
  29. Aug 25, 2013
    Gameplay 9/10. Graphics 10/10. Sound 8.5/10. Overall 9.2/10. Definitely a great game. It's worth all of the praise it's garnered recently. Not quite my favorite Vanillaware title, but it's still really good. Worth everyone's time to at least try it.
  30. Mar 24, 2015
    It is very reminiscent of the old Dungeons and Dragons arcade games I used to play and enjoy when I was younger. The art-style is very detailed and eye-catching. If you like fantasy retro-style games then I would definitely recommend this.

1. Pelit (Finland)
    Mar 11, 2014
    If you like breasts, Japanese rpg games and beat'em'ups, Dragon's Crown is for you. It's Diabloish hack'n'slash spiced with nice game mechanics and a nice multiplayer co-op. And did I mention it has breasts? Well, it has. In all shapes and sizes. [Dec 2013]
  2. CD-Action
    Dec 13, 2013
    One of the best looking 2D titles of this year and a game that you can spend 50 or 100 hours with and still not have enough. And if you have three friends to enjoy the co-op mode with, Dragon’s Crown is amazing. [13/2013, p.64]
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    Dragon’s Crown is a fantastic addition to the RPG genre, bringing an original personality that’s hard to ignore. With an amazing amount of content, this is one game that’s worth the grinding it demands.