8.4

1. Aug 6, 2013
    Absolutely gorgeous 2D art and animation, need more games like this these days. I also got the free art book, very nice. Congrats ATLAS on this massive hit!
  2. Aug 8, 2013
    People are so funny...

I love 'retro-style' video games and appreciate fantastic art-styling. For all of you stating that this game is 'disgusting' and a poor depiction of women, please move on to another board. It's a fantasy game with fantasy characters. There's nothing as offensive in this game as there are in the TV shows and movies that we all watch on a daily basis. Don't be
    hypocritical.

I commend VanillaWare and Atlus for creating one of the most engaging and gorgeous side scrolling adventures I've ever had the pleasure of taking. The simplistic control scheme and easy navigation of menus is refreshing, reminds me of that mantra 'a little bit goes a long way'. There is some grinding, but that's to be expected with any game of this particular genre. It's also refreshing that VanillaWare included such a refined multiplayer experience. It's nice to still have at least one company, and one publisher that hears the cries of gamers these days. Thank you VanillaWare, and thank you Atlus for creating an amazing gaming experience! You guys are the best!
  3. Aug 7, 2013
    Vanillaware has created the best multiplayer beat 'em up and even implemented RPG elements.
    Dragon's Crown has surpassed Final Fight 3 as the best of this kind of genre.
  4. Aug 6, 2013
    Whoever hates this game because of its artstyle or girls haven't even played the game. One tiny thing that maybe only you don't enjoy shouldn't even bring the game down one point, and if you find other tiny things to criticize the game about just because you hate the big boobs, you extremely stupid.
  5. Aug 6, 2013
    Great game overall with much more than I originally expected and also big jugs are not something new to the videogame industry everyone is just throwing a fit because of feminists who can't seem to solve real world problems involving woman so they move to something of little to no concern.
  6. Aug 6, 2013
    Definitely cool to see a new game made with the side scrolling hack n slash formula of old with RPG elements. I am really enjoying this game right now and it's nice to see something different then the 50 shooters that come out every year.
  7. Aug 6, 2013
    If your big fan of old school games like Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, this is a definite must buy.

Hopefully Sega will see this game's success and give us our rightful Streets of Rage sequel.
  8. Aug 9, 2013
    A perfect game.
    Visually stunning. The feminists and their white knights that find the females boob size tasteless, are not saying a single word about the men in this game. It's completely hypocritical and should be completely ignored by any and all reasonable people. It also has NO place in video games as video games are meant to entertain, not cater to whiny people who find everything
    offensive.

Fun GAME. The action is awesome. They took beat-em up from the 90's (See Streets of Rage, Golden Axe), added some RPG factors (stats, gear, leveling up), and have created something that feels so very nostalgic. It's very fun and I only wish they would add more variety of monsters through DLC.

Story is a throw back to medieval fantasy games. It's not important in a beat-em up in my opinion.

I highly recommend this game to anyone looking for some enjoyment on their PS3/Vita. It will give you an idea of why the golden age of gaming was so much better.
  9. Aug 7, 2013
    Absolutely fantastic game with beautiful hand drawn 2D art that Vanillaware is known for. Plays like an updated D&D:SOM. I'm glad that this game seems to be doing well and hope for many more from VW.
  10. Aug 8, 2013
    this game is a ton of fun! all the characters are fun to play and it really feels like D&D at times thanks to the narrator. I play local multiplayer with my friends and we have a blast for hours. definitely one of the best multiplayer rps and one of the most unique rpgs out there.

the art is nice and all sprites are fully HD. The enemies are all classic D&D. The point and click system
    to investigate/ tell your rogue to unlock doors and chests is also pretty cool and gives a whole new layer of interactivity with the maps.

Overall this is a fun game with fresh sprites..oh and for anyone saying the girls are too sexualized..just look at the males. they're all just as big and bulky.
  11. Aug 11, 2013
    First let me say this game this game is not for everyone. Having said that being a great fan of Vanillaware's Odin Sphere on PS2 I knew I would love this game and I do.

Dragon's Crown is a love letter to DnD and beat em up fans. The art direction is jawdroppingly amazing. The characters and environments must be seen to be believed. Character progression is varied and satisfying. Combat
    is fun and fluid, although somewhat difficult to hit your enemies with ranged attacks. Voice work is quite good and I loved that all the characters could be chosen as the dungeon master...I mean narrator. The purists even have the option for Japanese voice work. The music score is beautiful but oddly enough, is only in stereo. You won't care after five minutes of Kamitani's masterwork in gaming visuals. Online is unlocked only after a significant amount of time has been put into the game, but local co-op can be enjoyed right from the start.

Vannilaware has made a masterpiece, if you enjoy rpg's, beat em ups, or just art you would be remiss to not check out Dragon's Crown.
  12. Aug 7, 2013
    The side scrolling beat-em-up game here is top notch. There's skill and item systems that give you a lot of options in how you set up for each level, and the game is better for it. The storyline isn't overly memorable, but accomplishes the goal of giving direction to the game. I find the narrator's accent suits the game surprisingly well, though there's other voice options if you don't like it (nice touch).

The animations are great. The art style is polarizing, as I'm sure you've noticed. Due to that, I'm ignoring it in this review.

The big thing for me is the multiplayer. Actually playing levels with friends is so smooth that it's like playing locally. I was impressed by that.

I was NOT impressed by the MP matchmaking/lobby system. There's no way to invite a friend to your game. What you have to do is open a slot in the tavern (and fill any other slots you don't want with people with NPCs, then close them), then walk to the stables/gate and wait. Your friend then has to find you and join your game... except when the game thinks you're in another area that can't add people. Which it does, frequently. There's no friends-only mode, if you jump into a level without waiting your friend to join, a random person might join instead.

Once you finish the level you go back to your respective towns and next level you have to go through the join dance again. As levels are all under 20 minutes long, you'll be doing this a lot. About half the time we had to go in and out of zones and turn network mode off/on before it'd pick up that the game was available to join. It's odd how inept this part is, given how smooth and great the actual online gameplay is once you get it going.

Despite the issues MP is still great, particularly if you can get voice chat going with friends and you try to take complimentary skills. Voice chat is also handy to tell someone to stop moving when you're trying to activate rune magic (which is cumbersome to do in combat).

There's a limited number of levels, and they're not huge. Hopefully they add more in DLC. They do get branching paths later in the game which does add some extra levels. Bosses are varied and interesting.

All in all this is a great entry in the genre, and it's nice to see it get some love again.
  13. Aug 10, 2013
    This game is a very enjoyable, action packed beat 'em up game with satisfying combat and interesting RPG elements. Online/Co-Op is a blast (especially Co-op with a buddy). The art style is beautiful in general though some may find the women to be in poor taste. It SEEMS like the levels will be disappointingly empty at first but at a certain point everything opens up.
  14. Aug 11, 2013
    This and Tales of Xillia are among the best games I have played in ages, Dragon's Crown is an awesome beat'em up mixed with rpg that is really hard to put down, especially if you have friends to play with.
  15. Aug 6, 2013
    Some cool, albeit very repetitive gameplay that is a throwback to classic beat-em-up games.

Pretty at times but the ridiculous female character art style is downright disgusting. I feel filthy playing this game, and it really makes me sad because it could have been a great game. The lack of cross-platform play and buy is also very odd.
  16. Aug 6, 2013
    Greatest "golden axe" ever seen.
    Plus
    Customization, animation and style.
    Minus
    Very low amount of levels and after 2 time it dont look like diablo.

Playing with friends is fantastic
  17. Aug 10, 2013
    I have been looking for something new lately so for some time now i have been following this game and keeping an eye on it. First off, i bought the game (with out a doubt) and i am about 7 hrs into it and all i can say is heck yes! I was not sure at first if i would even like this game, at a 50$ price tag from first glance i did not understand all the hype which is what intrigued me about it in the first place though thanks to a lot of online previews from "gaming sites" and me doing my research i decided to throw caution to the wind and just go for it. The art is great and yes its obvious a call to old school times but what really shines to me was its in depth rpg elements twisted into its simplicity of this side scrolling beat 'em up. At first i was thinking that its nothing more then a 15$ arcade down load but now that i have taken the dive i feel that every penny was well worth it. Me my wife and daughter are in love with this game. Couch co-op, single player or online co-op ether way you spin it its a lot of fun and replay is not only high but also fun. Plus its something that feels fresh for everything else these days. Bottom line is that if you think you will like it then you will probably love it and if your still not sure then do like me and do some research....and then buy it. Expand
  18. Oct 19, 2013
    As you already know Dragons Crown is 2D side scrolling beat em up with a glorious art style. It also has some RPG elements such as leveling up, different character classes and spending loot to customize your character with equipment, magic and upgrade abilities. The hope is your getting a kind of 2D Dark Souls unfortunately Dragons Crown doesn't quite manage to deliver in terms of gameplay.

Things hold together quite well for the first few hours while it's still easy. The combat is simple but fun button mashing. The games sumptuous visuals and tidy presentation impress. The wealth of loot and items to spend it on show a good level of depth.

Then you find yourself having to repeat levels to complete side quests. Suddenly there's a lot more enemies on screen and they take a lot more hits to kill. With so much happening all at once you struggle to see your character. You keep getting hit, it feels unfair so you repeat levels again and again to level up and make your character stronger.

And this is the fatal flaw with Dragons Crown. There's no real skill or mastery to it. It's simply a case of repeating the same few stages over and over to level up so you can button mash enemies to death. If you've played Vanillaware's previous game Muramasa then you will find this game shares most of the same problems. If Vanillaware can figure out how to make there games as appealing to play as to look at then we will have a great game.
  19. Aug 12, 2013
    Nostalgia aside, Dragon's Crown seems little more than yet another tired attempt at male fanservice by turning women into sex objects to be exploited. While the JRPG-style visuals are impressive, it should be an insult to any who play it Atlus is telling men that a pair of G-cup breasts will automatically open their wallets. While this might be true for a lot of men, I know a few that need more than that to be impressed. Expand
  20. Aug 8, 2013
    Vanillaware never stopped to impress us gamers. Game after game they make beautiful gems. Dragon's Crown is a Homage to old school hack n Slash games while adding their own signature style of game play. To those who say that this game is sexist I say you are idiots. THIS IS ART!!
  21. Aug 23, 2013
    The game has some of, if not the best 2D art in any video game and it also manages to be one of, if not the best couch co-op role playing games/brawlers ever made while still remaining fun to play solo. The story isn't spectacular, but it is fun at times and most importantly isn't annoying or detrimental to the gameplay.
  22. Aug 7, 2013
    Capcom's classic Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara has finally been dethroned as the measuring stick to which all other beat em ups are compared. It's taken nearly two decades but someone out there finally realized that this genre can be more than a simple button masher to be completed in an hour and put down until you have friends over. Multiple characters with multiple builds will keep the game fresh and new during subsequent playthroughs, and once you finish the game on the hardest difficulty you unlock infinite, randomized dungeons that up the challenge and loot rewards yet again. If you are even a passing fan of the genre you need this game in your life, period. Expand
  23. Aug 27, 2013
    An Excellent revival of a near dead genre that takes a lot of influence from previous games of it's genre. The multiplayer experience local or online is great, and it is set up to have a lot of re-playability for fans of the genre. The additional quests add a lot to explaining a bit of the world background and lore without being too in depth.
  24. Ron
    Aug 8, 2013
    @Fawz... ur an idiot. Who cares if the females in the game have major big ass I think its great! Don't berate a game just cause you don't like its art style. Game is freaking awesome and a perfect homage to the classic beat em ups done with some great modern flair! Also the $50 is fair... there is plenty of replay value here
  25. Aug 20, 2013
    Dragon's Crown will probably end up being my game of the year. Amazing art direction and aesthetic, super fun gameplay, decently high skill ceiling (at least for Elf), and a God-tier soundtrack. My only complaint is similar to that of other Vanillaware games... not enough content. Admittedly I've played the game for ~55 hours so far and haven't felt this to be an issue, but I can see how it would be for some. The randomized Labyrinth of Chaos end-game dungeon definitely alleviates this complaint to a degree, but you have to play through the first 9 stages/18 paths quite a few times before unlocking it fully. Expand
  26. Aug 14, 2013
    Vanillaware gold. Gorgeous art, beautiful music, excellent gameplay-- for folks who remember the days of arcade hack-n-slash-fests like Gauntlet, and even for people who love the more modern interpretations like Castle Crashers. All the charm of Odin's Sphere with extremely satisfying beat 'em up gameplay. The added old school DM style narration is excellent, and the shamelessness of the cheesecake and beefcake men and women is always entertaining. Expand
  27. Aug 25, 2013
    Gameplay 9/10. Graphics 10/10. Sound 8.5/10. Overall 9.2/10. Definitely a great game. It's worth all of the praise it's garnered recently. Not quite my favorite Vanillaware title, but it's still really good. Worth everyone's time to at least try it.
  28. Aug 18, 2013
    probably the best of the genre this generation. Takes my way back during Golden Axe days. People who are saying that it is way too short are probably trolls. After you finish Normal mode (I logged 25 hrs), harder difficulty opens up and new quests unlocks. I'm still on my first character at Lv35 and I could see myself clocking in another 50 good hours to reach 99.

Combat is insanely fun
    although the screen gets cluttered if there are too many skills being cast at once. The devs really hit the right mark with the gameplay mechanics: chaining attacks, equipping the right set for the right monster, cooking, and seemingly infinite loots.

One can really see the amount of effort that they put into this gem. Although I agree that playing the game in long continuous session may get stale, I feel that I can log around 500 hrs with it.
  29. ERB
    Aug 6, 2013
    Game is yeah practically good.Game play is good and even story is not bad.My only problem is the characters I think these characters are lame.I don't like any single character in there.But still I will give it a 6/10 because story is good and even the game play.
  30. Aug 9, 2013
    There is a lot of solid work in this beat em up. From a design standpoint, it puts itself out there as a side-scroller in the vein of "Streets of Rage", but incorporates many rpg elements found in loot based games. Vanillaware has a strength in art and vision, even with its character design getting the strange publicity it did. Art is something that should not have to cater to everyone or be politically correct. That being said, the environments are gorgeous, but can be over-used, which isn't always a bad thing. It harps on a nostalgia chord without being terribly distracting. The setting is just a vehicle for the gameplay. If you aren't willing to explore the fighting system you're given, then this game isn't for you. At first play, it seems to be repetitive, but further play reveals a great amount of complexity. The classes, of which I've only played the dwarf, add a great amount of replay, as long as you are willing to over look the story, which is not necessary and maybe detriments it. The settings could create a wonder and mystique all their own without the plot. Multiplayer is a plus, and is a lot of fun with friends.
    Long story short, this game is worth a purchase. It isn't perfect, but it is much stronger than I expected going in.
  31. Aug 10, 2013
    One of the best games I've played in years. This game deserves so much more than people give it credit for. So much reference to the amazing side-scrolling beat em ups of the 90s.... I've waited for this game for years and now I'm just ecstatic that it has finally been released.
  32. Oct 9, 2013
    Sure, the game's female characters get a lot of flak for their design, but a lot of games try to sell on sexual stuff, as the gaming community is still believed to be mostly male. Is this a good thing, no. But it's not a bad thing either. It is what it is. Some people will love and enjoy the character design (some a little more than they should) and others will hate it. Who cares? It's how the people who made the game decided the characters would look. There are plenty of games with questionable art and character design. Hell, Record of Agarest War (Agarest: Generations of War for the UK) was sold on the promise of sex. The trailer for it literally cut out and just started playing bad porn music while showing in game CGI's of almost completely naked female characters in the game. Sexual selling points will probably always exist. There's not point in complaining the Sorceress's are big or the Amazon's thighs are huge (though the squareness of her but disturbs me a bit from time to time, but oh well, I still play the Amazon a lot). Besides, the character design makes them stand out a bit, even if it's using impossible muscles or large breasts.

Anyways, enough about the style and character design. On to the game play. The game play itself is a bit repetitive by the time you have your third or fourth character, but there is enough variety in the characters to warrant playing the game again, especially if you want to see what they can really do, in which case you'll continue them into higher difficulties. The enemies aren't too varied, but can still provide a wide array of challenges, especially when they power up in higher difficulties. It's a fun game, and it's simplicity adds to it's appeal. It doesn't require hours of grinding or comparing equipment for stats as if you were studying for a college exam. It's easy to pick up, easy to play, looks great, has an interesting, but somewhat simple story, has fairly diverse characters, and is a nice game to have in a PS Vita collection.

I would normally have given this an 8 out of 10, as it's good, but not great in my opinion, but I'm being generous in turn for all the people constantly nagging about the character design.

Also, before anyone says anything, yeah, sure, I do kind of like the Sorceress's breasts. I am a guy after all. But even if she looked more normal, along with all the other characters, I would still enjoy this game and would have bought it regardless.
  33. Nov 13, 2013
    The game is good, not great (as a linear button masher, just like the classics from yore). It's a beautiful game, also, with a gorgeous medieval setting; the characters are varied, there are tons of loot and cool stuff to do (both off and online). But there's a tricky thing going on here hence my not so great grade. Dragons Crown is extremely repetitive. And the worst part is that the game forces you to keep doing the same dungeons over and over again just for the sake of leveling up and fighting harder versions of you guess the SAME dungeons. IMO this is something cheap and lazy. My actual grade here would be 6,5 (mostly because of artistic values); other then that, extremely repetitive and, eventually, boring and not compelling. Nice game, for sure, but can be missed. Expand
  34. Aug 26, 2013
    Vanillaware certainly has a knack for beautiful landscapes and creature/character designs and Dragon's Crown is no exception. Dragon's Crown is not only beautiful, but surpasses all games in it's genre in style and replay value. If you are a fan of beat 'em ups and like a challenge that will keep your palms sweating for probably longer than you're comfortable with, give this game a try. -insert paragraph about power fantasy/women objectification here- Expand
  35. Aug 16, 2013
    Awesome game. Most beautiful 2D graphics I laid my eyes on. Not without flaws, but still giving 10 nonetheless as I love it so much. Female illustrations may offend some players.
  36. Aug 13, 2013
    10 because a) to balance out the moronic 'there are big boobs' reviews, and b) Vanillaware make lush, exquisitely crafted games consistently with strong heroines (Grim Grimoire, Odin Sphere et al.)
  37. Aug 19, 2013
    The world of Hydeland is rich with legends, myths, and treasures just waiting to be discovered. Many speak of these treasures and folk tales but few are strong or capable enough to withstand the trials to obtain such riches. Though it is a daunting challenge, you don't have to take this journey solo. You can even gather a team of adventurers to take down the foes who block your path. This is more than just hunting for treasure, you come to find out that your very existence may be riding on the travels that you and your companions venture on. Guided by supernatural entities you become a critical component of preventing the world's end.

Read the full review here: http://www.gamefan365.com/2013/08/review-dragons-crown-looters-paradise-45.html#more
  38. Aug 10, 2013
    It's fun for a couple hours, but by then the game gets really repetitive and easy. I stuck through to 20 hours in the game for my friend's sake, but by then I just couldn't bare it anymore. My main problem would have to be the side-quests. You unlock them after you beat a level, and then they require you to go back into that same level to do one little thing. Sadly you are pretty much required to do these side-quests because they grant skill points, instead of just money or exp. It gets really boring really fast, especially since you're spending most of your time watching your thief friend open chests than you are actually fighting.

In the end, I say it's worth a rent or borrow from a friend to see if you like it.
  39. Oct 30, 2013
    Take the Glory that was Golden Axe, pump it up to 11, give it lovely, painterly visuals, and customizable characters with tons of Diabloesque loot drops. You now have Dragon's Crown, and it is a wonder and a prodigy.

Fun, challenging gameplay combines with a fun storyline to make this a winner. It's easy to pick up and play for a few minutes or a few hours, and you'll feel rewarded each
    time. Smooth controls, tons of character options and upgrades, it's all here. I love this game. Expand
  40. Sep 28, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece, no doubt. It is inspired by the classics of the past, and adds strategic features and a really good multiplayer that make the game really superb. Those who do not go beyond the exasperation anatomical, are limited. That's right: the limit belongs to them, not the game of Vanillaware.
  41. Sep 26, 2013
    This game is amazing, I know everybody is talking about the hyper-fantasy art style with giant musclemen and mega-endowed ladies, but aside from the boosted up secondary sex characteristics (which are masterfully and lovingly painted by the way) every section of every level, every enemy type, and every boss monster looks BEAUTIFUL.

The gameplay is outstanding, very responsive controls
    in a slick beat-em-up package with a variety of playstyles represented by different characters. There are RPG elements such as level ups, putting points into skills, and collecting loot to equip. The loot is always tailored to your level & class, and you often get nice gear just one level away to keep you tantalized.

The Dwarf is a hilarious class to play, picking up monsters and throwing them into each other, snatching them out of the air and doing a spinning throw to crater them into the earth and creating a blast wave that decimates their friends. I feel like a big time wrassler man playing him.

The Fighter is way faster than his looks would tell you, he's also a blocky fella with a skill that allows him a chance to auto-block attacks, and another skill that makes him go all super saiyan when he does block an attack. His whole deal is hyperfast sword swings and an ability to air combo things for days.

The Amazon is a musclebound lady who crushes things with a giant polearm, or spins through the air like a flying buzzsaw. If she plants that polearm in the ground then she'll start doing super fast kicks and boot the enemy around like a sportball.

The Sorceress is my favorite magic user, she can zip through the air on her staff as if she was riding a speedy broom, and blast things with elements based on the staff she is using. She also has skills that give her books of spells to read and cast massive screen wide spells that decimate basic enemies and bosses alike, protect your party from damage, or make healing food for them. She also can summon skeletal minions (It is a trend in vanillaware games to have necromancers be well endowed "lifegiving mothers" rather than grizzled old men who -command- the dead to rise up)

The Wizard is the other spell caster, he (as of the latest patch) can overcharge himself to do more damage with his spells, he also gets a insanely powerful spell that takes a VERY long time to cast. He has a lot of fire spellbooks and his most important spell is probably "Slow" which can stop bosses in their tracks and allow your party to decimate them.

The Elf feels like a jack of all trades, master of none. She can do kicky melee, she can cast "spirit magic" based on the elements around her (fire near a torch or fire magic, water in a pool of water, air is default, and more) she cal also fire arrows coated in fire or poison and make burning fires or pools of poison with them.

I suggest to everyone who is a fan of sidescrolling beat-em-ups like Final fight, Streets of Rage, or any of the delightful arcade games such as the AvP beat-em-up (which used to be my favorite in the genre before this came out!) to get this game. Don't listen to any controversy, enjoy the game and feel no shame.
  42. Sep 22, 2013
    An amazing beat em up like I haven't seen in a while, couch co-op with 3 other friends is something I've been craving for sometime now. The art direction is something worth noting, it's beautiful in every aspect and the animations are superb....breathtaking really. Even with the women objectivization controversy, it's hard not to appreciate the care that has been put into every frame and art design. Skill trees are balanced and it's fun to experiment with other classes, though mages may be a little bit on the spamming side since their AoE attacks are kind of distracting. There is only a couple of reasons I'm not giving it a 10, and that is the oversimplification of the gameplay process, since everyhing you do with square button. attack=square, run=hold square and walk, defend=hold square while standing, launch=up and square, slide= down and square.... you get the idea. Only a small amount of actions require other inputs, and that makes it feel a little bit boring after a while, since you start feeling like a little kid mashing the square button. It also makes it difficult to try to play with advanced tactics, for instance: if you want to deliver a 4 hit combo, slide, launch the oponent and defend after, it translates into 4 squr, down squr, up squr and hold squr; so, it kind of difficults efective coordination. Another negative aspect is the lack of diverse character classes, since you're restricted to 3 warrior tanks, 2 offensive spellcasters and 1 rogue which is more of an archer type; it would've been nice to get more rogue jobs (a proper thief, like Ranie but playable) and a cleric/acolyte class. Overall they're a small nuissance, but one that manages to take perfection away from this game. In any case, this is a must have if you're either nostalgic, fond of adventures, eager for local multiplayer or a fan of medieval fantasies. Expand
  43. Sep 11, 2013
    Simple gameplay it reminds me of Golden Axe, but a more advanced version of course ).
    Graphically stunning, with a truly unique art style, terrific production values. I imported it to the UK from VGP and it came with a lovely artbook. A few weeks later I see its now getting an official UK release with the same artbook...oh well....still cost me the same regardless and thanks to it being
    PS3 its region free !
    Highly recommended game as is VGP- Video games plus, for that matter
  44. Dec 7, 2013
    A travel back in time, but with more understanding of what is an effective game. It's surely not the king of the beat them all legacy, but it stands on the higher grounds! An absolutely gorgeous piece of art! Recommended for all ps3 owners!
  45. Feb 1, 2014
    this has become one of my favorite games on ps3, and man do i wish it was released on PC too!

the game is pretty repetitive overall, but it's got enough variance for me in terms of the actual combos and building of your character. and mainly, the random loot drops! ahhhh, this satisfies my loot fever nicely.
    really enjoyable overall imho. i can throw it on for a quick 10 minute run
    of a dungeon, or do them back to back for increased bonus' till all my gear is broken and i have to try again. they even patched a lot of great updates into the game for free recently. higher level cap, and 10,000 floor dungeon!

i ended up buying this on vita also. a couple times i've played it at a friends house online with my vita, and just looked at his TV set to control my character. kind of lame that you can't just both sign onto the ps3 somehow and use your own characters though. not a huge deal overall, can still play local co op but only with characters found on the logged in persons account.

definitely check this game out!
  46. Dec 26, 2013
    Dragon's Crown can be easily classified as the best beat 'em up of the current generation with a plus: it's a RPG with a story told in a classic way adapted to a game language.

The art of Vanillaware is amazing. The advantage of 2D is that it doesn't get old as the 3D does. So if you play this game years from now it will still look brilliant. I've read many comments and reviews saying
    that the art in this game is offensive and sexualized. Well, it highlights women's attribute. But it's the artist's style. Come on, guys. It's like saying that all the paintings on the museums containing nudity are offensive. They are simply art. I don't understand why the western culture is so paranoid about this.

There's a good amount of content to be unlocked and characters to play with. I've read some articles saying that the beat 'em up genre is doomed, but this game proves that it isn't. You can have a really good time playing solo or with your friends.

We must thank Atlus for helping this game to be launched. They're simply one of the best companies to release japanese games on the west. Oh, and if you're fan of Monty Python you must see the tribute that Dragon's Crown offers in a specific stage!
  47. Jan 5, 2014
    A modern artistic take on the retro 2D side scroller.
    This beautifully crafted and intricately detailed game is a must have for any gamer, Offering Tons of ways to play, 6 classes and ample customization,Heaps of side quests, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
    As well as being one of the best looking games I've played in a long time, Dragons crown is also one of the best
    sounding, with unique music for each area.

This is a game you have to get, you owe it to yourself as a gamer.
  48. Oct 29, 2013
    Dragon's Crown is a 2D retro like brawler with outstanding visuals. The character classes feel different from one another with their amazing skill trees and the loot system leaves you wanting for more. The story is 'meh' but the gameplay and sheer fun of online play covers that up very well.
  49. Jun 15, 2014
    If this were a strictly side-scrolling beat em up like I initially thought it was going to be, I would rank this game higher, but having to traverse through the menus changing your equipment and sit through all the storyboard cut scenes takes alot of the fun away.
  50. Mar 2, 2014
    Dragon's Crown is a Golden Axe remake. It is beautiful 2D graphics will make anyone fall in love with it (unless they are are gender right activists). Its aret is so good that it is possible to spend some time just enjoying the views instead of playing.
    However the gameplay falls flat on its face. Its is riddle with old problems of side scrollers like trying to hit a monster and hitting
    emptiness because the game thinks that you are too high or low comparing to monster on the screen. Its especially frustrating trying to hit a boss monster that is taking up most of the screen and still miss ... That is a biggest thing for me as fun killer however there are other additional problems like lack of variety in character customization and attack variety (although for a 2D game its up to par) some wonky dynamics like making player run around screen collecting spent arrows or spending time charging magic which only make this game more of a chore. Also there is a huge problem when playing in a party as allies easily make you loose track of your own character by blocking the view. Game repeatedly forces player into repeating the same 9 levels for quiet a while till finally unlocking a randomized dungeon for an unknown reason even thought randomized dungeon is where all the fun is at. It spices things up with enemy variations and is really well done too bad its unlocked so late.
    Overall the gameplay is very bland and I would have never played this game if I didnt love the art design. However even in the state it is in right now it is possible to spend a bit of time mindlessly blowing away some monsters in a beautiful 2D world.
  51. Sep 3, 2013
    So I got Dragon's Crown and the game delivers. Fantastic game. It's an old school beat-em up game with RPG elements. This is not a professional review but I'll write a little about this game.

You'll pick one of the 6 available characters and, unlike most games in this genre, the characters really play different. You'll be upgrading your character with common skills and skills unique to
    your class. You'll find powerful and enchanted weapons, armour and items. In case you are wondering the armour and items doesn't change the appearance of your character, but you can customize your character's name and color swap.

The level design is a little weird. There is this town with common locations like the tavern, temple, Mage's tower, adventurer's guild, castle and stables among others and a gate that will take you to your adventure. The first levels you'll play solo but after you beat the 9 missions available multiplayer will be unlocked and it's fantastic. You'll be playing any of the 9 missions again and again but now there is another path available for each of those missions, a different boss included, so that gives us 18 stages.

There are a ton of quests with secret rooms, hidden objects, challenges with regular enemies, bosses, etc. Those quests give you experience, unlocks art (the art is fantastic!) and skill points to upgrade your character.

The soundtrack is good too, at first I didn't notice but when the credits were rolling I realize how much I like it. The graphics are fantastic, the game looks like a living paint. There has been some controversy for the art style of the game, specially for the over-sexualized female characters but the art is consistent, the Amazon and the Sorceress are just as exaggerated as the Fighter or the Dwarf, and you can appreciate this even in the monsters. For some people this is offensive but for others it's part of the charm of the game.

As I write this I've played with a single class. I'm very happy with the game. I'm hooked, I want to continue playing to reach level 99, beat the whole thing and then jump into the next class to start again.
  52. Sep 1, 2013
    Amazing. Simply Amazing. Take Golden Axe and Odin Sphere and mash em together. Its basic enough for new gamers to get into and enjoy while the hardcore fanboys (like me) will enjoy the subtle complexity of the game. Each character has a unique play style that tailors to nearly any style. My only real complaint is the Sorceress. Im a guy and I cant use her without staring intently at her bust. Its huge. If they had toned her bust size down about 2 cup sizes, I'd be fine with that. Other than that, the game is perfect. Of course it is repetitive, but it stays true to the Golden Axe era. Sit down with some good friends and camp out with Dragon's Crown for a day. You'll enjoy all it has to offer. Expand
  53. Sep 10, 2013
    This is a perfect throw back to arcade beat em ups which I love. The art director intended all the physiques to be exaggerated both male and female. The game play is great, dynamic and has huge variety as beat em ups go. Did anybody who is complaining about big bouncing breasts actually play the game? Do yourself a favor and play the Double Dragon and Streets of Rage series, Dungeons and Dragons arcade table top as well as X-men, The Simpsons, and Golden Axe and then tell me the game doesn't stand up. Their only mistake wasn't featuring a Goblin King a la David Bowie from The Labyrinth themed character flopping around a giant Cod piece so you could admit the only reason you don't like the game is because you are an easily offended Expand
  54. Oct 12, 2013
    In short: This is a fantastic game that is different to most of the other games out there. If you ever played golden axe, streets of rage, double dragon or battle toads as a kid, you know what you're getting into. To bring these games up to date, the developers have added a large dose of RPG which adds meaning to one of the game's minor downfalls: repetition. What you get is a well made and beautifully drawn 2D action RPG.

The fighting is accessible but deepens with unlockable upgrades and moves and each of the characters is well balanced and has a role to play. Make sure your party is balanced too!

The co-op is great and works well (but why oh why does it take so long to get to it?) and easily elevates the game; everything's more fun with friends.

I've read many cries of sexism levelled at this game due to the revealing nature of some of the characters outfits. It isn't and I'll explain why. I'm going to start with a definition of sexism: Sexism is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex. Now In this game, not only do you have buxom maids with cleavages only just staying in their not-fit-for purpose dresses, you also have muscle bound heroes showing tight pectorals and defined six packs. BOTH sexes are sexualised.

Really it becomes a question of censorship. Are the characters too revealing? It's certainly not a game for the very young anyway.

Don't worry about the fact that this looks a bit like a title you would find on the PS network or Xbox live arcade. It's much more than that and this will become evident as you play it. I will say though it could do with some more environments. I can understand that they must have taken a long time to draw, but the game would be improved by adding more, perhaps via DLC?

Ultimately this is an excellent game on PS3 and Vita, with the main difference between the two being a larger viewing area on PS3 and less slowdown compared to a better control scheme on the Vita that uses the touch screen.

Which ever one you would prefer, If you consider yourself a gamer, you owe it to yourself to support unusual games like this one. Here's hoping for more diversity like this in the future.
  55. Dec 8, 2013
    I've only played local play with friends and this is a good game, but their is serious problems:

1. Menus! Omg. Nearly half of the game is going through menus. Appraise loot, repair items, get quests, get pray, give old man a gold coin, evaluate items after EVER LEVEL. And what is insanely worst, is that only one player can go through their menus at once. So you can't just go and
    accept a quest and leave, each player has to do the same thing to accept a quest.

2. Arbitrary fun reducing game mechanics that just slow the game down Why do Items have durability, all it does is make you have to go to the blacksmith every 5 minutes to click "Repair all", thats it. No benefit to the game. Why do I have to identify all the items I collect? Why does each player have to accept a quest, why can't just one player accept a quest? There is so many "features" that seem completely unfun and are just there to make it seem rpgy. So much time wasting.

3. Why do the levels repeat Why is this the one game company that can't make unique levels for every stage? Why do I have to play the same level 3 times, do finish the same quest? Again, they probably thought this was a clever "feature", but its not, its boring.

4. Abilities are lame Nearly all the game-play mechanics are available straight from the start, buying "spells" are more like buying scrolls (if your familiar with diablo spells), they have charges and don't change the core mechanics (besides a few).

5. Lots of little things that could of made it easier For example, at the end of each level, it displays the scores for each player, ONE AFTER ANOTHER. If they put all the scores on one screen, so much time would not be wasted. Usually this is not a big problem, but with a game that has already so much wasted game-play outside of combat, it just starts to get on your nerve.

Besides these problems, the actual game is pretty fun, but be warned, you will only get to play the fun bits 50% of the time, the other time will be spent doing repetitive "rpg" things described above.
  56. Jan 6, 2014
    When I was a kid one of my favourite games on the old Sega Mega Drive was Golden Axe, the classic fantasy beat 'em up game. Dragon's Crown is like that game on absolute steroids, with the added brains of an RPG like the original fantasy star series. Thank Atlus for making this game! It was chicken soup for my Gen X soul. The exaggerated depiction of female characters is hilariously over the top. Try and avoid playing it in front of prudish chicks that's for sure. Anyway I haven't loved a game this much in a long time. I hope they make sequels. Expand
  57. Mar 18, 2014
    A perfect game with something for everyone, fantastic visuals, smooth and exciting gameplay, entertaining characters and a charming fully voiced folk tale style story. Dragons crown is what every side scroller should aspire to be. Oh did I forget to mention the incredible boss battles. Not to mention the free bonus content like a 1000 floor labyrinth
  58. Aug 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. While not exactly great or with huge replayabaility, the game does stand well and is not all fan-service game, it has of course, but, if you play it, you may like it.

Levels are repetitive and you need a lot of grinding to get to high levels, and the voice directing you can get on your nerves, the lack of levels and more enemy variety does hurt the game though. It certainly could use a lot more levels, even with branching. Levels are the same in any difficulty. And changing the difficulty only results in higher level cap and higher level enemies, which, also hurt the game even more. It's all the same. No replayability unless you enjoy killing the same enemies over and over again.
  59. Sep 26, 2013

The gameplay is outstanding, very responsive controls

1. Mar 11, 2014
    If you like breasts, Japanese rpg games and beat'em'ups, Dragon's Crown is for you. It's Diabloish hack'n'slash spiced with nice game mechanics and a nice multiplayer co-op. And did I mention it has breasts? Well, it has. In all shapes and sizes. [Dec 2013]
  2. Dec 13, 2013
    One of the best looking 2D titles of this year and a game that you can spend 50 or 100 hours with and still not have enough. And if you have three friends to enjoy the co-op mode with, Dragon’s Crown is amazing. [13/2013, p.64]
  3. Nov 8, 2013
    Dragon’s Crown is a fantastic addition to the RPG genre, bringing an original personality that’s hard to ignore. With an amazing amount of content, this is one game that’s worth the grinding it demands.