Dragon's Dogma PlayStation 3

8.3

1. May 26, 2012
    This is one of best games I have ever played. I just made an account to review this game. I even like it better than Dark Souls which was my favorite western/ japanese hybrid game ever. At first the game is very overwhelming and feels disjointed and I almost wanted to stop playing after playing for about 3-hours and I didn't think it could be better than Dark Souls, but I gave it a fewThis is one of best games I have ever played. I just made an account to review this game. I even like it better than Dark Souls which was my favorite western/ japanese hybrid game ever. At first the game is very overwhelming and feels disjointed and I almost wanted to stop playing after playing for about 3-hours and I didn't think it could be better than Dark Souls, but I gave it a few nights and once I got to Gran Soren, I started falling in love with the game. I feel like I'm just at the tip of the iceberg to with this game. If you are on the fence about this game because of the major publication reviews, get it! Trust your gut! I'm glad I trusted mine! Capcom had been dissipointing me lately with its lackluster games, but I'm so glad they have finally proved themselves again as masterful game developers! There's so many cool little things you keep finding out about the game. I have rarely found any bugs or glitches, and if there are they are totally minor, i have the ps3 version...You have to be a total nerd for it to totally ruin the game for you. I kept reading about the framerate and glitches in major reviews, ive barely noticed any, nothing game breaking at all. I've been playing for about 11 hours now. Level 22. The immersion in this game is insane...And i feel like the graphics are amazing. The draw distance is incredible. Usually i hate open world games or games with lots of quests, I only care about the main story, but this game I don't seem to mind. Its just so fun moment to moment...you always want to see whats behind the next corner or over the next hill or whats in that cave, etc!!!!! By this point, there is so many amazing things about this game, such as the combat =10, pawn system = 10 deep customization = 10, immersion =10, graphics = 10, beastiary = 10, controls = 10, that any flaws or annoyances that mar the experience for me can be easily overlooked. The game would have to incredibly **** up down the road to lower my score....even if it did my score would still be at least a 9....but, if its consistent with what I've seen so far, this game is definitely a 10. I mean for Capcom to have no experience making this games and just jump in, wow, its amazing how versatile they are at making games. I love little things like the sliding down ladders in Dark Souls haha theres so many cool little things about this game...I could go on forever. Honestly, I never could get into any Western RPGs, the combat, graphics, or retarded dialogue just threw me off, but this game finally has all that down. This game gives me hope for Resident Evil 6...Perhaps they on a new road, finally getting back to the behemoth game company they used be known as. Expand
  2. May 22, 2012
    Please keep in mind i have only owned this game since midnight (8 hours), my mind kept telling me this would be a bad buy but thank god i listened to my gut.. I am personally sick and tired of the review process, sometimes i feel like they didnt even play the game (joystiq) and although this had some good scores there were a few that threw me off and then joystiq, so i was close toPlease keep in mind i have only owned this game since midnight (8 hours), my mind kept telling me this would be a bad buy but thank god i listened to my gut.. I am personally sick and tired of the review process, sometimes i feel like they didnt even play the game (joystiq) and although this had some good scores there were a few that threw me off and then joystiq, so i was close to cancelling my order. From the moment the game started i noticed how pretty everything was, the graphics have been superb (not perfect) up to this point of my time with dogma. I was a bit shocked at how deeply intricate the details/items/customization was designed, i love the freedom to toggle, change, walk, pick up , craft and just about everything which makes me feel"involved" w/ me hero and the progression of.. Capcom nailed a system which is hard to find in console rpgs, the freedom to do, customize and tinker with just about anything and then some.. I want to feel like im dictating my hero and the path/direction of the game rather than feel like im in the passenger seat with the option to do only certain things, not here. The animations and colors are fantastic, whether its the glow of a spell of the change of day to night, its just how i want it to look, when im getting healed i actually enjoy the glow from my pawn or mate casting it upon me, watching balls of glorious fire from a mages staff, the pounding of shield to sword to distract a foe while i use my triple shot arrows soaked with oil only to throw a concoction of fire directly toward where my arrows land, all this feels and looks so right.. the controls are in fact "dynamic", dont be fooled by hack and slash or the demo, there is so much more to the combat system.. yes it is laid out by way of strong attack and light attack but there is secondary , magic, throwing and or holding a foe (or friend) and everything just works together almost seemlessly, im still very taken aback to the reality of what dragons dogma presents to me, capcom.. i am a huge fan of rpgs and i am not one to hold back how i feel and right now i feel like i wouldve made a huge mistake turning this away, i almost did..

graphics are on point, yes there are some glitches but it is easily overlooked by the force of quality in other areas such as gameplay.. The gameplay and presentation is solid, music is nice (nothing groundbreaking) and the controls feel wonderful, voice acting is very good but im not capable to go in dept about the story, as of now i am hurrying my thoughts to get back to the game. The pawn system is awesome. menu inventory and the interface is super user friendly and simple, you can basically design your hero to look however you lease and its very deep in terms of customization.. How about this, rent the game if you are on the fence, please just give it a chance to go in your system.
    this has been a very refreshing rpg exp so far and im loving every minute of it.. its a game where you get lost in it and you dont want to be found.. Capcom you guys did a heck of a job.. i would give this an 8.5 but i cant, usually i end up leveling it off to the lower half unless the game deserves a bit more than an 8.5.. 9
  3. May 22, 2012
    This game is epic in every sense of the word. HUGE open world,hundreds of deep & fulfilling quests,long complex & at times BRUTAL dungeons,a very deep customisation - in terms of both character creation & clothing/armor/weapons/spells etc. You could easily lose 200-300 hrs here if you search everywhere & do all side quests. Graphically its good but not great, but be honest who plays rpgsThis game is epic in every sense of the word. HUGE open world,hundreds of deep & fulfilling quests,long complex & at times BRUTAL dungeons,a very deep customisation - in terms of both character creation & clothing/armor/weapons/spells etc. You could easily lose 200-300 hrs here if you search everywhere & do all side quests. Graphically its good but not great, but be honest who plays rpgs for great graphics?? The enemies/bosses & combat are fast , fluid & relentless & quite honestly with just 20hrs played I can happily say the combat in DD is stand out in this genre , only rivalled by the Souls games.

If you're a fan of deep,rich,fantasy worlds then this game is a must buy. I loved Oblivion,Dragon Age,Dark Souls & Skyrim & Dragons Dogma easily stands up with them. Great game!
  4. May 22, 2012
    Huge, open world full of interesting things - check.

Flexible, inventive combat - check.

Challenging, hardcore theme - check.

Fun - check check check check check check check check check check check.

What's not to love?
  5. Jun 12, 2012
    Great game. I've played through Oblivion, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and parts of Skyrim (combat in Skyrim is sub par). Some critics seems to have a field day trolling this game, but from first hand experience I can tell you that this game is awesome. The combat is AMAZING, deep, and highly enjoyable. I rarely get frustrated with my team of pawns. As the pawns are what the critics seemedGreat game. I've played through Oblivion, Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, and parts of Skyrim (combat in Skyrim is sub par). Some critics seems to have a field day trolling this game, but from first hand experience I can tell you that this game is awesome. The combat is AMAZING, deep, and highly enjoyable. I rarely get frustrated with my team of pawns. As the pawns are what the critics seemed to be annoyed with the most, before you start turn voices down slightly and disable "Pawn Captions". It should be obvious by the positive user score that you should buy this game :) GO GET IT! Expand
  6. Jun 17, 2012
    If your looking for a visually stunning game, then stop reading now. This game has just about everything you could want from an RPG but the graphics do leave something to be desired. However with this in mind it does not stop you from having an insane amount of fun whilst you spend many an hour battling your way through Gransys. The combat animations and large monster textures are one ofIf your looking for a visually stunning game, then stop reading now. This game has just about everything you could want from an RPG but the graphics do leave something to be desired. However with this in mind it does not stop you from having an insane amount of fun whilst you spend many an hour battling your way through Gransys. The combat animations and large monster textures are one of the games strong points with you sending your character onto a Manticore's rear and hacking the snake head off! The storyline isn't as captivating as it might first seem but the side quests do a great job of supporting the game and adding a real sense of adventure to your game world. Adventure is a key word as when the game starts out you can find yourself out of your depth facing enemies that you have no chance against. This along with the possibility of just stumbling onto a Cyclops or Ogre just adds to the sense of adventure.

With no multiplayer some of you may be concerned about the longevity of the game but Capcom has done a great job by adding a simple,effective and community based "pawn" system. This allows you to create 1 companion that travels with you throughout the game and recruit a total of 2 more from the "rift". If played online than these additional pawns can be real players other in game pawns. This creates a real sense of pride in your A.I. companion, ensuring they have the right equipment, abilities and look the part so fellow players might recruit them into their party's. With a simple reward/feedback system this adds a real sense of community to the game.

The class or or job system is simple and can be varied in many ways. If you decide to switch class half way through the game you can, providing you have the right equipment and enough "discipline" points to do so.

In summary this game gives you an open intriguing world with a solid combat and class system. Combined with the "pawn" community and huge potential for future content/co-op play this game will probably be the best RPG you will play this year.
  7. Jun 13, 2012
    Great game, my friends bugged me to get Skyrim saying it would be incredible and hated the combat but loved this game great combat alot better than other games, really enjoyed it.
  8. Mar 21, 2017
    One of my favourite PS3 gen games. The only inadequacy was really poor framerate and some textures. The other things was at least good or excelent. Its like mix of Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Shadow of the Colossus, Berserk and Lord of the Rings made into open world rpg. Combat is one of the best, while Sorcerer class and their spells outclased everything was made. Story was fine, musisOne of my favourite PS3 gen games. The only inadequacy was really poor framerate and some textures. The other things was at least good or excelent. Its like mix of Monster Hunter, Devil May Cry, Shadow of the Colossus, Berserk and Lord of the Rings made into open world rpg. Combat is one of the best, while Sorcerer class and their spells outclased everything was made. Story was fine, musis memorable, graphics very nice overall (except thing i mentioned eariel). Game has very intresting mechanics rare or lack in other games like weight and height of character affect gameplay (fat characters cannot be raised by harpies, tall characters cannot enter goblins holes etc), roottening food in inventory if keept outside special cointainers, lantern required oil and drains by water fall and many others. Very detailed character creator also need some patience. Expand
  9. May 23, 2012
    Dragon's Dogma is an amazing game with some faults. The core gameplay, is incredibly fun, addicting and deep. My biggest problem with other games in which combat is a major focus (indeed, most skills and abilities are to increase your effectiveness in battle) however, in most games combat is too EASY and unsubstantial. There is no reason in most games for those skills because you can'tDragon's Dogma is an amazing game with some faults. The core gameplay, is incredibly fun, addicting and deep. My biggest problem with other games in which combat is a major focus (indeed, most skills and abilities are to increase your effectiveness in battle) however, in most games combat is too EASY and unsubstantial. There is no reason in most games for those skills because you can't lose anyway. Dragon's Dogma combat is awesome, simple as that, and that is the best part of the game.

The pawn system I am continuously impressed with, and I really enjoy tweaking their behaviors, or going on quests where the pawns respond and take charge on their own volition (though some do talk too much).

Quests are varied so far, and enjoyable with enough variety to keep it from getting stale. The story is not THE major focus of the game, however, it is interesting enough to keep things moving. The small technical hiccups are barely noticeable honestly. There IS pop-in. It occurs however, in a "fade-in" type manner, rather than a "pop-in" manner, and it doesn't bother me. There is also some micro-stuttering when fighting large monsters with a lot of magic, but isn't a "problem" in my eyes.

There is tons of variety in skills, equipment, topography that I believe will keep people that give it a chance occupied for a great many hours. I really do think this is an underrated and excellent game, especially for a new IP and I can't wait for the sequel because this is one of the most enjoyable games I've probably ever played.
  10. Oct 2, 2012
    People say this world is small? Then I suppose they think 120+ hour Monster Hunter is tiny. Like in Monster Hunter, the map is fairly compact. However, also like Monster Hunter, there's much more area than there seems to be at first. This is because that like Monster Hunter, you can climb up on rocks, ledges, etc. There's a large amount of realistic environmental interaction that manyPeople say this world is small? Then I suppose they think 120+ hour Monster Hunter is tiny. Like in Monster Hunter, the map is fairly compact. However, also like Monster Hunter, there's much more area than there seems to be at first. This is because that like Monster Hunter, you can climb up on rocks, ledges, etc. There's a large amount of realistic environmental interaction that many negative reviewers fail to notice.

Look at a game with a huge map: Sacred 2. While the square mileage is bigger in Sacred 2, anyone who's played the game knows that you can't go up steep hills and you can't enter forests, and almost everything is simply a static mesh that you can't interact with. Dragon's Dogma is the opposite kind of open world. In Dragon's Dogma there's less square mileage, but you can go up and over amost anything, interacting with most things.

Look at Skyrim. DD has slightly less square mileage than Skyrim, but it's much closer. However, in Skyrim you can't interact with the landscape at all, and mountains block you all the time. Once in a while you find a mushroom to harvest, but generally you just run around cloned trees and hunt for copy-pasted quests in a copy-pasted world. In Dragon's Dogma, care went into making every scene unique in some way, ala Dark Souls or Demon's Souls. In DD, you can climb many things, you can slide down steep slopes in a special stance to avoid fall damage, you can pick apples from trees, you can harvest plants and search for a diverse array of resources, like in Monster Hunter. You can actually interact with the world, and like in the Souls games, there's hidden stuff everywhere.

The bosses are reminiscent of Shadow of the Colossus, where you can grab and climb many of them as they attempt to shake you off. Other features were inspired by Monster Hunter or Dark Souls, such as your ability to sever some appendages from the bosses.

People say the pawns are annoying? I guess people are too used to companions that never say anything and simply act as silent sexy armor holders. The pawns are intelligent. They'll follow you as you climb the steepest rooftops and cliffs, and they can take care of themselves in combat. Normally when you fight outside your level (ie, level 2 fighting a level 8 enemy), game companions eat hits and die immediately. Not in Dragon's Dogma. I'm continually surprised at just how fast and intelligent the pawns are. They'll protect each other, carry each other if one falls in combat, and give you someone to lean on if you sprint for too long and run out of breath. They'll even harvest loot and resources on their own (though you can get them to give it to you, if you want it) They dodge enemy attacks and deal solid damage on their own. You virtually never have to babysit them like you do in similar games. People claim that pawns are marred by the fact that they're temporary, and that's something I was concerned about as well. After playing, however, it's clear that many of the haters never even played the game for the 45 minutes required to get a permanent companion.

Two of your three pawns will be temporary, and one is a permanent companion, but in Skyrim you only get one companion at all! Why are people complaining about this in DD? Plus, in Skyrim your companion is dumb as a bag of rocks and just eats hit after hit until they go down. You need to babysit in Skyrim constantly, to the point that I just had to avoid the companions altogether in that game. Plus, your companion in Skyrim won't protect you or really help you; once combat starts in Skyrim it's "every man for himself", and your companion won't heal you or stay nearby.

Dragon's Dogma companions are much, much better. They keep up, they're smart, and not only do they not require babysitting, but they actually protect you as much as you protect them. They shout out advice, as others said, but I don't think it's annoying for some reason. They offer new ideas for how to handle quests and enemies, and occasionally they offer personal support in emotional quests. Really, after playing rpgs where every npc just exists and speaks at your convenience, Dragon's Dogma's companions are amazing.

I own a gaming pc, and this game actually looks pretty good by comparison. It's rare that I can play a console game and not only tolerate the graphics, but actually enjoy them. Killzone 2 was the last game that managed that, besides Dragon's Dogma.

All in all, an absolutely engrossing rpg with great realism and companions. I also like that Capcom wasn't afraid to stretch the M rating to the limit at times (like with the harpies), unlike some rpgs that are clearly meant for 12 year olds despite the M rating. If you like Dark Souls or Monster Hunter, you'll probably love this. If you think Skyrim is the best rpg ever made, you may not like this, or you might change your mind about Skyrim.
  11. Feb 3, 2013
    Cool combat and some unique environments. Inventory management is tedious and the game is lacking in story.
  12. May 24, 2012
    After playing the first 10 hours all i can say that this is one of the best RPG's of the year. For the people that compared this to Skyrim, i'll say it has nothing to do, it's totally a different game and a different experience. All in this game is mindblowing. A incredible combat, awesome Pawn system, good AI, an huge open world with great sensation of danger, epic combat with giantAfter playing the first 10 hours all i can say that this is one of the best RPG's of the year. For the people that compared this to Skyrim, i'll say it has nothing to do, it's totally a different game and a different experience. All in this game is mindblowing. A incredible combat, awesome Pawn system, good AI, an huge open world with great sensation of danger, epic combat with giant creatures, a interesting storyline (for the moment)... It promess much hours exploring, battling and discovering the world of Gransys. Buy it without doubt about it. Expand
  13. May 25, 2012
    Dragon's Dogma is a really fun Action RPG, and I believe it caters to the best of both worlds. The combat is engaging and intense, and is by no means dumbed down or easy (which honestly is a good thing). Presentation wise, the game looks great, and feels alive. Small things like grass and branches blowing against the breeze of the ocean really makes this world rival most other RPGDragon's Dogma is a really fun Action RPG, and I believe it caters to the best of both worlds. The combat is engaging and intense, and is by no means dumbed down or easy (which honestly is a good thing). Presentation wise, the game looks great, and feels alive. Small things like grass and branches blowing against the breeze of the ocean really makes this world rival most other RPG worlds in all of gaming. Sure, the graphics may look a bit lackluster in some areas, other areas more than make up. The AI is surprisingly intelligent, exceeding my expectations for a game, they (your allies, known as pawns) perform their duties smartly and in a timely manner. The framerate may hiccup every now and then (on this version at least) and trees and shrubs may interfere with your combat. The story isn't anything impressive at all, but I don't really demand that in a fantasy RPG game. The resulting game is a really fun game that can appeal to any action and/or RPG fan, and those who like these genres should really at least play this game sometime; it has some features that I believe should now become standard in any RPG game. Expand
  14. May 22, 2012
    Been playing this game all day and as far as gameplay goes its top notch. The pawn system is a nice addition, Combat system is engaging and there are tons to do! Weakest point of the game is definitely the Story but everything else including the Music is great.
  15. May 24, 2012
    This game is incredibly addicting. I was nervous I would hate it, but honestly I am having a blast. The story is lame, but whatever. I see alot of comparisons to Skyrim, but I feel like Dragon's Dogma is more like Kingdoms of Amular really. Only with a heavier focus on combat and realistic graphics. I like the pawn system, it works very well and I actually get excited every time I see anThis game is incredibly addicting. I was nervous I would hate it, but honestly I am having a blast. The story is lame, but whatever. I see alot of comparisons to Skyrim, but I feel like Dragon's Dogma is more like Kingdoms of Amular really. Only with a heavier focus on combat and realistic graphics. I like the pawn system, it works very well and I actually get excited every time I see an Inn because then I get stuff from my pawn being hired in another game. Unfortunately though, even though it is a 4 party system, there is no multiplayer...which even with the pawn system, still feels like a missed opportunity. Can't someone make a hack and slash as good as Dark Souls/DD and have campaign co-op?! Oh well, I love DD anyway. I hope people buy it, because I think Capcom has placed some great ideas in this game and would love to see a sequel with all they learned from this game. And if I know Capcom, I expect there to be a sequel...already in the works I am sure. Expand
  16. Jun 22, 2012
    This game is all about high-adventure. I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma and its harrowing action and exploration far more than I did Skyrim or Dragon Age. There is no tedious party management, the AI party is extremely competent but not overpowered, and the way you explore the world of Gransys is satisfying and epic. The game has its problems with lack of polish here and there, and the difficultyThis game is all about high-adventure. I enjoyed Dragon's Dogma and its harrowing action and exploration far more than I did Skyrim or Dragon Age. There is no tedious party management, the AI party is extremely competent but not overpowered, and the way you explore the world of Gransys is satisfying and epic. The game has its problems with lack of polish here and there, and the difficulty gets much easier towards the end of the game, but beating the game left me wanting to play more. I think it gets alot of things right: exploring new areas, running into unexpected threats, and the gripping battles against the larger monsters. I haven't enjoyed traveling through a game world this much since Red Dead Redemption. I hope this game gets a sequel with a ton of new content; the way it integrates a holistic approach of how the player can interact with the game world and its inhabitants is a major milestone in RPG gaming. It was well worth the $60 spent on day one. Expand
  17. May 25, 2012
    The game is fantastic. If you never read a review for it and you picked it up blind and played it you would be saying... Omg I just found an awesome game!

RPGS elements are deep, there are tons of items and unlike Skyrim they are all relevant, no collecting ten forks here. The skill system is deep as well. The graphics are good, not nearly as good as Skyrim PC, but that is to be

The graphics are good, not nearly as good as Skyrim PC, but that is to be expected. I don't know what Skyrim looks like on PS3, but all the reviews say it plays like crap on PS3. This game plays great on PS3.

This game has a very cool online component, it is not multiplayer, but you can see when other people are online via their pawns. You can make friends with pawns and rehire them later... The whole idea is very cool and adds a freshness to the game as you progress through it.

The star of this show is combat!
    Omg, I've said it before and I'll say it again - Bethesda only wishes they could make a game with combat this good. It is so good you are going to think you are playing a play former, but it is a real RPG.

The story is there, but you have to activate it. It is deeper than dark souls but less than Skyrim. Skyrim has better voice acting.

Most of the complaints around this game are about camera angles (10 hours in and not one issue or me), NPC dialogue (you can fully adjust their speech or turn it off!), and rough edges (?).

All I can tell you is that if you like RPG's and miss this game then you are missing out on an experience akin to Elder Scrolls + Dark Souls. There are EPIC boss battles all over the place with giants, a ton of loot, crafting, and party management. This game is NOT better than either the Elder Scrolls or Dark Souls, but it does so much right that I cannot understand the hate it has garned from a few review sites.

This is a huge step forward for Japanese RPG's and I only wish that a game like Final Fantasy (which I haven't touched since FF VII, would take note of all the things this game does and implement them.)

If Skyrim had this games combat system and online connection it would be the best game ever made, ever.

If you are looking for a good RPG and are on the fence about this one then commit.
  18. May 25, 2012
    This game is the best and hardest game I've played since dark souls. The combat is really cool and the story isn't as bad a some say. The game is like a combination of dark souls and oblivion
  19. May 22, 2012
    I love this game! The combat and leveling is the main highlight of DD. The only issues I have are the techicial glitches like popins and framerate but overlooked. The game is lengthy and difficult but that's a good thing in my eyes.
  20. May 24, 2012
    This game is a good fantasy game. The graphics are great, for example the first time I saw the sun rise on the ocean my jaw dropped. The game does have a challenge to it which is great. You have to learn when to fight and when to flee. I have had many heart pounding moments when I was running for my life. The only thing I don't like about the game is there is no mounts in game you have toThis game is a good fantasy game. The graphics are great, for example the first time I saw the sun rise on the ocean my jaw dropped. The game does have a challenge to it which is great. You have to learn when to fight and when to flee. I have had many heart pounding moments when I was running for my life. The only thing I don't like about the game is there is no mounts in game you have to walk/run but it is not a game breaker. Also I wish there were hot keys for items. Expand
  21. May 24, 2012
    Dragon's Dogma is awesome. A great mix between Monster hunter and skyrim. A great game for Hardcore gamers ! Some website in Europa gave an average score but don't worry it's only because European testers don't understand the addictive gameplay of "monster hunter" games ( they prefer test COD games it's easier for them ^^ )
  22. May 25, 2012
    It feels like Devil May Cry and Elder Scrolls combined, I love the way you can hire pawns from other online players, co-op would have been awesome, graphics are poor, but effects look great and framerate stays in the 60 area, story is not very gripping, quests seem to be diverse so far like your usual rpg, examples, kill so many of this monster, escort this person here, find so many of aIt feels like Devil May Cry and Elder Scrolls combined, I love the way you can hire pawns from other online players, co-op would have been awesome, graphics are poor, but effects look great and framerate stays in the 60 area, story is not very gripping, quests seem to be diverse so far like your usual rpg, examples, kill so many of this monster, escort this person here, find so many of a certain item. I really like how it is not like skyrim in the way of monster levels, if you go to an area your not ready for you will die or have to run away and if you just feel like boosting on lower lvl enemies that are no challenge you can do that too, combat is amazing best I have ever played for an action rpg, wish you could have more skills than just 3 per weapon, but I suppose it keeps it balanced, all in all it is a must for any action rpg fan Expand
  23. May 25, 2012
    Why is it that western reviewers find that if its a Japanese game,that it must then suck. Just because they aren't leading the game industry does not mean they cannot make a fun game. Personally, i found this game very challenging and down right FUN! the only thing that i would have liked for them to do is to allow at least a 2 player co-op. Now i only monster hunter could get a faceliftWhy is it that western reviewers find that if its a Japanese game,that it must then suck. Just because they aren't leading the game industry does not mean they cannot make a fun game. Personally, i found this game very challenging and down right FUN! the only thing that i would have liked for them to do is to allow at least a 2 player co-op. Now i only monster hunter could get a facelift with the help of this game engine....Anyhow do try this game, it will keep you on for hours. Expand
  24. May 25, 2012
    Really immersive and atmospheric, particularly at night when it gets really dark so you need your lantern. The combat is solid, firm and satisfying, a far cry from Skyrim's floaty weightless mess. There's a lot of attention to detail, such as your character's clothes getting soaked if you go into water and a the wind really swaying the grass and trees all around you. The pawn system adds aReally immersive and atmospheric, particularly at night when it gets really dark so you need your lantern. The combat is solid, firm and satisfying, a far cry from Skyrim's floaty weightless mess. There's a lot of attention to detail, such as your character's clothes getting soaked if you go into water and a the wind really swaying the grass and trees all around you. The pawn system adds a lot to the game and allows you to connect with other players without breaking the illusion of the world and events being real (e.g. you don't get some guy jumping all over the place and "hilariously" hitting NPCs).

There is some slowdown at times, and the voice acting can be pretty poor at times, but the sense of adventure, exploration and truly being part of a living, detailed world all make that seem like an insignificantly small price to pay. There are tons of side quests that all help give the world more depth and variety, as well as the main quests nicely feeding into each other in interesting ways. At one point you're attacked by a gigantic hyrda. After climbing its body and decapitating it, your then told you could take the head to a nearby nobleman as a gift, and he'll honour you in some way. So starts a quest where you escort the hyrda's head on the back of a wagon through dangerous terrain. It feels so much better than "go there and get me that thing" followed by "Good, now go to the other guy who will tell you to go get him something to" which makes up most of the quests in WRPGs.

I really recommend this game if you like atmospheric worlds that you feel like you're really living in, and also want combat to be a well-made part of the game rather than some embarrassingly bad thing that's been tacked on. It's familiar due to it's standard fantasy setting, yet somehow unfamiliar and refreshingly strange feeling thanks to it being a Japanese take on those elements.
  25. May 25, 2012
    Simply awesome. While the difficulty isn't the same sort in dark souls, it does have the brutality and uncanny ability to sense when you are getting to **** and show you the 'Retry' screen. The depth of play and the size of the world are excellent. It is far more open then Kingdoms on Amalur and I enjoy the combat in this game much more. Loot is predominately things that you harvestSimply awesome. While the difficulty isn't the same sort in dark souls, it does have the brutality and uncanny ability to sense when you are getting to **** and show you the 'Retry' screen. The depth of play and the size of the world are excellent. It is far more open then Kingdoms on Amalur and I enjoy the combat in this game much more. Loot is predominately things that you harvest and gather from the world which you can combine into increasingly useful things. A great balance of difficulty and just a lot of fun to play.

The pawn mechanic initially seemed a bit of an oddity but it is quickly becoming a treat and real interesting mechanic. It is great to see your pawn come back with loot and experience from its time playing with someone else out in the world, and its fun to browse through the rift and see what other people are up to in designing their own pawns. Its neat to follow the progression of particular pawns you have journeyed with to see how they develop and change.

I am having an absolutely great time with this game and heartily recommend it to anyone that likes rpg's...this IP is great and I dearly hope that capcom can grow this with sequels and DLC.
  26. May 24, 2012
    When I played the demo for Dragon's Dogma, I thought there was no way in hell I would buy it, but I did, and it was a great buy! This game is amazing, if you liked Kingdoms of Amalur or Skyrim, you'll love this game!
  27. May 26, 2012
    outstanding!
    it's an epic journey in a very beautiful world with lots of creature to kill and lots of thing to do everything is great!
    the pawn system, the combat, the class system and also the difficulty is very challenging and fun! if you like action rpg and fantasy worlds this is your game this is an amazing mix between skyrim and dark souls plus lots of original stuff ! the graphic
    outstanding!
    the graphic isn't amazing there are some technical problems but a real gamer don't care about this little thing's, a real gamer look at the heart of the game and dragon's dogma is an amazing fantasy adventure!
  28. May 29, 2012
    I can't really write a review for this game. I've just been reading constant terrible reviews from reviews that apparently don't know what to play games. Instead I'll give you a list of points.

- Pawns: They talk a lot, they can give you hints depending on how much knowledge they have of a quest, area or monster. Other people can hire your pawn and vice versa which will help add to their knowledge base. If you are really that annoyed by your pawns constantly talking, then there is no reason why you can't turn it off.
    Pawns have a lot of different behaviours and it's important you understand these behaviours so that you can have synergy in your party. You can buy potions in the encampment which tell you what each of the behaviours are.

-Vocations. There are 9 separate vocations. Strider (Daggers and shortbow), Ranger (Longbows), Magick Archer (Magick Bows), Fighter (Sword & Shield), Warrior (2 handed Great Weapons), Assassin (daggers, swords, shields, bows), Mage (support magic and elemental magic), Sorcerer (Great and powerful magic). While the game starts of with forcing you to play Fighter, Strider or Mage, you will be able to switch very fast to any vocation you want to play by fighting your way to Gran Soren and buying the new vocation with discipline (which is given for XP gained). There are lots of different ways to play the same vocation because of the way the skill system works and it's important to make sure you have skills that will let you do what you want to do.

Story - Yes the story is pretty bad. It's a semi-interesting story, however the way it's told is quite poor and it will be hard to understand what is going on. Really you aren't here for the story though.

Monsters - This game probably has the best roster of monsters and ways to fight them that I've ever seen in a game. Each monster has many strengths and weaknesses and a whole plethora of ways of acting. For instance when fighting a cyclops, he may or may not have have armour on, which you can coerce him into pulling off by climbing him, attack different areas of his body will yield different effects. If someone is climbing on his head to strike him in the eye, then someone else can climb on his leg to stop him moving, and even attack in an attempt to trip him up. Lightning can stun them (especially when wearing armour) while fire will set them ablaze and possible make them frenzied. I could keep going on about all the different things that can be done in a fight again just one creature and there are many more.

World & Exploration - The world is quite large. I would also say that it's laid out in a peculiar way, it's not just an open plain which can be traversed in a more or less straight line and travelling from one side of the map to the other will take a great deal of time and preperation to make sure you don't get lost. The map is only revealed as your explore so finding your way around can be troublesome to begin with.
    There is quick travel, however it is very limited. This was done in attempt to make the world feel larger, as games where you get flying mounts or easy access to quick travel often trivialise the entire point of having a large open world full of dangerous creatures. That said there are ways of quick travel, however they are either quite rare, or of a finite amount. There isn't much to say, this is really a game that is focused on fighting glorious creatures. Pretty much all of them are taken from Roman or Greek mythology and are incredibly fun to fight.

The only real downside to this game is that it doesn't have any Co-Operative multiplayer component, even though it would be absolutely brilliant for that. There is something called the Ur-Dragon, which is a huge dragon which multiple people fight at the same time, and all the damage from everyone fighting it is added together, but that's not real multiplayer.
  29. May 26, 2012
    I bought this game after watching my friend play it. It is a very good game but does have some problems. There are *minor* glitches that would be fixed by a patch update so that not big deal. The way the pawn system comes into play really keeps it interested with them saying some pretty funny things. The only reason i voted 8.10 is because in the beginning ( first 24 hours of play , yesI bought this game after watching my friend play it. It is a very good game but does have some problems. There are *minor* glitches that would be fixed by a patch update so that not big deal. The way the pawn system comes into play really keeps it interested with them saying some pretty funny things. The only reason i voted 8.10 is because in the beginning ( first 24 hours of play , yes that still the beginning) theres lot of quest that state go kill 50 rabbits, or go kill 30 skeletons. Now i will say what i really love about the game is it gives you so much gold for completing quest. Expand
  30. Aug 2, 2012
    I was very sketch on wanting to get this game for many reasons . Big one being well its Capcom and they have been sucking hard lately . Well i don't regret buying DD one bit . Its a fun new iP that i would like to see more of in the future. The game off the start looks amazing in the graphics department and the combat system is top notch . The combat reminds me alot of Shadows of theI was very sketch on wanting to get this game for many reasons . Big one being well its Capcom and they have been sucking hard lately . Well i don't regret buying DD one bit . Its a fun new iP that i would like to see more of in the future. The game off the start looks amazing in the graphics department and the combat system is top notch . The combat reminds me alot of Shadows of the collossus for the PS2 and is just tons of fun . The create a character was well done and you get a pretty good amount of choices to pick from . The game is also pretty long around 40-60 hours . There is a ton of wepons and armor and it all looks differnt giving you and your team mates a differnt look . The world is pretty big and there is plenty to do. Now the game is said to be really hard and this is kind of true at the start of the game , where you have to be very careful on where you go because you can just get your butt kicked real easy some times but once you get to about level 25 and have some good gear you wont have much to worry about and once you are 35 nothing should really stand in your way any more. some of the downsides are the story just sucks and makes no sense at all. about half way through the game i just didn't care any more wtf was going on any more with the story because it wasnt making any sense and the ending wont help any . also traveling around sucks hard there is no fast travel . some pureist may prefer this but the majority of player will not and this is why. I really did not enjoy runing back and forth between the same areas 20-30x fighting the same enemies over and over again it got so damn boring and repetitive . it would have been fine if we where given a horse or atleast like in morrowind had the mages guild where they could teleport us to certain areas or hell even that had the silt strider as well. even with some of thoose big flaws DD is a really fun game even with the BIGGEST for a RPG having a crap story to still warrent your time. Expand

1. Aug 13, 2012
    This adventurer relished Dragon's Dogma's old-school sensibilities, which make it familiar territory that is expected on a PC instead of something from Capcom on the PS3. As players romp across a wide-open world filled with danger, titanic ruins and wonders, they'll realize that it's a rough, rewarding world, though its hardened edges may not be to everyone's cup of tea.
    Neither Monster Hunter nor Dark Souls--but a great combination of the two.
  3. Jul 9, 2012
    The graphics aren't state-of-the-art and the story isn't that well-told. That said, spectacular combat and a wonderful environment to wander around in save Dragon's Dogma from the purgatory of mediocrity.