7.7

1. Aug 13, 2013
    Ignore the "critic" reviews. This game is a gem to anyone who played and was a fan of the original "DuckTales" on the NES. Most the "critic" reviews come from people who are 18-24 years old and didn't grow up with the game. Most complain about "corny" jokes, bad controls and a simple storyline, guess what? That was DuckTales!

As far as gameplay, it's exactly like the original but really
    nails the core mechanics of the game while also introducing the player to a true DuckTales story line. It handles the EXACT same way as the original game, so don't expect to use the joystick to maneuver yourself. The game is actually challenging offering only four hearts/3 lives per stage. If you die, you go back to the map selection screen.

Overall for $15, this game is worth it. Buy it.
  2. Aug 13, 2013
    This game was a Nintendo classic. For all the negative people out there please remember this game has a core audience. That is people between the ages of 25 to 40. If you were alive in the 80 you probably remember the show, and this game is about as faithful tot he show as you can get. the graphics are crisp and very Disney, the sound track as amazing as ever, yes it may not be super hard or ground breaking, but this game was not meant to be that. It is a tribute tot he fans who remember picking up a game to completion on the NES in an hour or two. Expand
  3. Aug 15, 2013
    Anything lower than a 7 for this game is rubbish. It's absolutely gorgeous, the music is wonders to the ears, and most importantly, this game is a fun platformer!

If you grew up with 8-bit games, you'll know what it's like to have a life system that means restarting a level from scratch. This game has one of those systems. There are no checkpoints. As soon as you run out of lives it's
    back to the beginning of the stage. It's challenging, but can also be frustrating when you've nearly completed a stage only to restart from the beginning.

The game is an enjoyable improvement over the original thanks to the new inclusion of cutscenes and developed story. By the time you get to the final boss it feels like you've actually been on an adventure, and one that feels like an actual episode of Ducktales. However, dialogue can interrupt the game a tad too much, resulting in you skipping cutscenes constantly on you're second and third playthroughs.

Replayablity wise, you can unlock character art, sketches, music etc and a Hard and Extreme mode for those who want to get the most out of the game. Completion wise it took me 4 hours straight to complete on my first run.

If you like old school platformers, the original 8-bit game, or Ducktales in general you will absolutely love this game. That Gamespot review/score is pure rubbish.
  4. Aug 14, 2013
    While DuckTales Remastered doesn't deliver anything your standard platformer doesn't, it's a great and nostalgic journey back to the game as it was before, with extra twists in forms of new stage designs, new boss strategies and remastered music (it still has that '8-bit-ish' chiptune sound).

With redrawn sprites and 3D environment, the old stages are brought back to life with great
    attention to detail, and the new animations for Scrooge in particular are quite honestly adorable. The stages are revamped in more difficult manner, and exploration rewards you, for example, with extra heart containers for more health. You really want to go out your way to find these, for the game is actually pretty challenging this time around. For completionists, there are plenty of unlockables and 'Extreme' difficulty to tackle on, which I would suppose would bring challenge to even experienced DuckTales players with even Normal managing to challenge me to an extent.

Today, DuckTales is obviously aged game. While the new design choices bring new life to the long-lost series, it brings a little to nothing new mechanically. It's still pretty much the game you remember it to be, and it lives to the nostalgic value. Big plus is the fact that while you remember the original stages, you will soon find out that the layout this time around is way different, and the stages can't be breezed through quite as easily.

It's easy to recommend DuckTales Remastered to players who lived when the originals were around, or simply loved the animated series. The jokes, characters and even the original voice actors are back to deliver you the game DuckTales deserves to be. For newcomers, it's your average indie platformer. Aside from the beautiful sprite animations, there isn't much that stands out. It's still a good idea to consider watching some footage of it, and decide whether the game is for you or not.
  5. Aug 14, 2013
    My short review.... I played DuckTakes Remastered for the first time last night. I played for roughly 2 hours, 20 minutes of which was listening to the title music looped over and over. Man, I love what they did with the music in this game! To be honest I didn't play the NES version too much, by 1989 I had moved on to 16-bit consoles and missed out on some classics like this. The controls....
    are spot on. I know some people were reporting issues with getting the pogo to work, but it worked great for me (both analog and digital pad)

The graphics....
    are incredibly detailed and animated very well. Exactly how it should look.

The voice acting...
    is excellent. If you remember the cartoon you will recognize the voice of Scrooge McDuck, as well as a few others. Some of the things he says are genuinely funny. Especially the dialog between Scrooge and Launchpad.

The music...
    is incredible! I expected it would be with the excellent original NES OST being handled by Jake Kaufman (Shantee Risky's Revenge, Contra 4, Double Dragon Neon). He also nailed the Moon level music.

Overall it's a great platformer, albeit a bit short. In just the 2 hours I cleared all but the last level. It does have some replayability to it though. By collecting diamonds and saving up diamonds you can buy character artwork (which looks really nice by the way), along with storyboards, and even the music tracks. I will definitely play enough to unlock the music.

It gives you a great feeling of nostalgia and is a joy to play. I highly recommend it.
    I bought it on sale for $11.99 (PSN Plus sale), but I'd feel good about it if I had spent $15 as well.

Now I'm looking forward to Castle of Illusion HD and the new Strider game. Bring 'em on!
  6. Aug 14, 2013
    Even better than I remembered it. The same platforming genius, the same mechanics, the same music, simply with better sprites. The added story elements, all done in the style of the TV show with even some of the same voice actors, shows that this game was remade with love. Highly recommended for old school awesomeness.
  7. Aug 14, 2013
    This game is superbly redone. I'm having so much fun reliving a game that as a child, I just never go to beat. The game looks fantastic and brings back so many memories from my childhood. I wasn't almost in tears thinking about back when I was 7 years old and how easy life was and all I cared about was Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, Rescue Rangers.....growing up sucks but this game will bring something back to you. Expand
  8. Aug 14, 2013
    Absolutely amazing i thought it would be ruined in the remake but the graphics were great but not overly HD and the music was just fantastic if you can get a hold of this game i definitely recommend it

Full Walk through if anyone's interested i love what they did with the music still as awesome as it was back in the day
  9. Aug 18, 2013
    Just played it and it's fun if a bit easy, but I don't mind since I'm not exactly platformer god.

This is an excellent remake and I want more of these. It's true to the original game and for me it's a good thing. It controls (mostly) good, sprites look fantastic, music is great and overall it's a fun game.

My only complaints are somewhat unpolished 3d backgrounds and controls doing
    half-pogos (releasing pogo to limit jump height, then pogoing again) feels more difficult then in original game. Nothing game-breaking though. Expand
  10. Aug 27, 2013
    Brilliant game! Some tricky trophies especially if you want to get the trophy for completing on expert! I love this game! Ignore the gamespot review what ever you do. Him saying there is no challange and you can use a map clearly indicates he never played the game on any difficulty over medium. Dont play the game on easy unless you are 10 years old because you get unlimited lives. The only reason I did it on easy was to get a certain trophy. Do what I did, whack it straight on hard then unlock expert then go insane trying to finish expert (thats finish the whole game from the start to finish in one sitting, save disabled and hard pogo mode on). I cant believe Tim at Gamespot said theres no challenge to be found. Hey Tim, get a new job. You cant review a game to save your life! Expand
  11. Sep 1, 2013
    A classic is reborn with Ducktails Remastered! Amazing hand drawn animations, killer voice acting that brings you back to the experience as if you were living in the 90's again, watching a brand new episode of the show, and knowing the fact that the original voice cast came back, makes this game even sweeter! The game is coated with classic challenges similar to the original NES version and music that matches up well to it's predecessor. The ONLY thing that put this game at a halt was the fact that the cut scenes are really over done. First time around, they're okay, and fun to watch, but second time knowing you need to skip each one over and over really kills it fast. While it's a minor problem, the game is solid beyond expectations. Capcom, Disney, thank you, and a special thank you to WayForward games! Expand
  12. Sep 11, 2013
    Duck Tales Remastered is a present to old gamers. You can finally return to the greatness of old school platform games. Wayforward has just upgrade everything: graphic, music, story, but haven't changed anything. If you're an old gamer, this game is a masterpiece. If you're a new gamer, you may be fascinated by the colors, the music and the difficulty of the game.
  13. Oct 23, 2013
  14. Dec 2, 2013
    During the 8/16 bit generation, Capcom were in their prime with 2-D platformers. Many people are familiar with their famous Megaman series but many people look past their fantastic Disney platformers. Capcom has established a phenomenal war chest of excellent platformers in direr need of
    an HD remake. But that time has finally come with Ducktales Remastered, an HD remake of the NES

classic based off the TV series of the same name.

Unlike many HD remakes, this game abandons the idea of a 2.5D platformer in favor of a beautiful hand drawn 2-D art style similar to the Paper Mario series. The art style and voice acting from the original cast of the TV series, gives this game a Saturday morning cartoon feel. To accompany the new look comes an amazing soundtrack along with an 8 bit rendering of the show's theme during the main menu as well as the original 8-bit soundtrack unlocked upon completing the game.

The story keeps the same plot as the original game. Scrooge McDuck finds a treasure map (after a quick introduction level completely new to this game) and must find five treasures across the world to make him an even wealthier duck than he already is. (When you have a money bin filled with coins that you can swim its hard to believe anyone can ask for more) Many of the levels remain the same as the original, from the jungles of the Amazon to the vast and colorful Moon. Throughout each level, you are asked to collect certain pieces to complete a puzzle before moving on to the treasure as well as a boss fight. Exploring through the world looking for pieces to open the next door, gives this game a classic Metroid feeling. Each also containing their own different variety of enemies, from hockey players shooting ice blocks at you to Robo-Ducks charging in for a punch.

The difficulty remains the same as well as the controls. One minor change is the pogo jump has been
    shortcutted to a single button so the player won't have to press down along with the button anymore. (If you prefer the original controls, it can be changed in the pause menu) But aside from that, you will still be jumping on enemies heads with your trusty cane, swinging at rocks and barrels, and jumping into secret areas in search of heart containers, treasures, and gems, which you can use to buy concept art from the game as well as the show. As for the difficulty, be sure to manage your lives and to be checking on your health meter because if your not too careful you'll game over pretty quickly. When you learn to time your jumps and be aware of your surroundings, you get by in a breeze. There is also an “Extreme” difficulty mode after you've beaten the game on Hard that will start the game over completely if you lose all of your lives (Yes beginning from the tutorial, as if you've never started “Extreme” at all)

But alas with only six levels in total, the main game is too short. If you've played a Ducktales game before, you may just fly right through it. This leaves the game with very little replay value. My only other issue with this game, is that there are now cutscenes within the game. Yes, I'm super glad that the original voice-actors got to be in the game and take the voice of their respective character but the cutscenes seemed way too frequent and sometimes not even necessary at all. But this are nip picks compared to an great remake of a classic game.

In the end, I enjoyed this game the whole way through. It's a fun and colorful game filled with charm. Compared to the dark and gritty games of today, it was a nice game to sit down with. I had a smile on my face from the start screen, straight through the end as the credits rolled, humming the show's theme song the whole way through. And for 15 bucks, how could anyone say no? Fans of modern platformers can expect a simple lighthearted experience, but gamers who grew up in Duckburg shouldn't miss out on this gem.
  15. Aug 19, 2013
    This game was my first NES title as a kid in the late 80's and it's held up pretty well over the years. Ducktales Remastered remains faithful to the original for the most part. Scrooges' jumping and attack moves remain the same, and control like they did on the NES version. The levels themselves have had an HD facelift though and look great. They will be instantly familiar and fresh at the same time to veterans of the game. Each level has a few new elements that make this game a little challenging than the original, but I won't spoil them for anyone. The music and voice acting is great, as virtually all of the original voice actors are back. The gameplay is classic, old school platforming, as you have to time your jumps and attacks perfectly. The only complaints I have are the constant cut scenes, and the sometimes, but not often, unresponsive controls. For $15, it's a great downloadable game that you'll probably get a few play throughs out of. Solid 8/10. Expand
  16. Aug 18, 2013
    Duck Tales on the NES was one of my favorite platform games of all time. It's still a game that I go back to and play periodically. Thus, the remastered version was a huge deal for me and one of my most anticipated titles of 2013. That said, my love of the original is so fierce that I was also worried that they would soil my memories, after all, we all saw the dreadful mess that was the Turtles in Time: Reshelled game. However, my fears were quickly sidelined because Duck Tales Remastered is awesome. The graphics are unbelievably charming, the soundtrack is one of the best ever written (but then it always was) and the controls are as tight as they ever were. There are a lot of great new additions to the game, too. First up, there is the new story component. This is a lot of fun, especially as it's voiced by the animation's original cast. It's just great to hear Scrooge McDuck in his full glory again! Then there are the reworked boss battles. The original game's encounters were fun but incredibly simple. This time around, they all have more than one attack routine and come at you much harder. They're a lot more fun as a result. There are one or two minor problems that prevent this game from being perfect, however. First up is the new system of having to collect items that are strewn around the maps before you can proceed to the boss. I can see that is done to lengthen the overall playtime, but it also limits exploration. In the original, finding secrets and little hidden nooks and crannies was a real pleasure. But in this version, the game forces you to go to all of those places anyway and it's not really exploring if you're directly sent there on an errand, is it? Then there is the huge difficulty spike that represents the last section of the game. The final escape sequence really feels unbalanced compared to the rest of the game. Overall, however, Duck Tales Remastered is a gorgeous, funny and nostalgic old-school plaformer with high playability and charm galore. So... Justice done to a true classic, I would say. Expand
  17. Sep 19, 2013
    For me, it's very hard to rate this lower than 10. I don't really understand the criticism. Either you like NES-games, or you don't I guess. This game plays exactly like the old one, but adds enough to make it fresh and modern. The music is insanely great in this version, and the graphics are incredible. The voices and the story is perfectly fitting and gives the game some depth. Add trophies and some unlockables, and you can't go wrong for $15. But seriously, I had more fun with this game than I've had with some $50 games and I would gladly pay that. This beats modern platforming games by a million times this is from the golden age of gaming, just in a modern suit! I love it! Expand
  18. Sep 3, 2013
    This game is a Solid 9. Anything Bellow an 8.5 or an 8 does it a huge injustice. I really really enjoyed this game, the boss fights, the money and all the art that helps you explore the behind-the-scenes making of the game. It doesn't have a ton of replay value, but you'll enjoy the hell out of it.
  19. Sep 12, 2013
    The problem of this remaster is that, while the level design is still top notch, some of the other game play design was not updated. I've always been against loosing all progress and this game just does that unfortunately! What was once the "standard" in platforming games back then was never a good one to begin with! Way Forward should have made the game more forgiving and allow some sort of check points and keep the diamonds you've accumulated until you lose all your lives. The whole concept of lives it literally outdated!

The game encourages you to meticulously search the stages for treasures, but punishes you with cheap one hit kills that can ruin your harvest! Any developers should reward you for playing their games, not frustrate you by making the time you've played obsolete!

Initially, I was going to give this game an 8.5, but the ending sequence ruined the game for me. Aside from the fiasco that is the final stage and the points mentioned above, the game has been remastered to perfection! Too bad Way Forward took some weird liberties with the final stage. Their efforts should have been spent elsewhere!
  20. Aug 15, 2013
    As a fan of the original game, I loved it. They stayed true to the original gameplay, while improving on the graphics and storyline. Anyone who played the original or enjoyed the series back in the day will appreciate this game, even if it is a little bit shallow overall. Play it for the nostalgia value and you won't be disappointed.
  21. Aug 14, 2013
    DuckTales Remastered is as enjoyable as the past version from the nes.
    Now there's definitely been some changes made to "improve" this version from the original. It comes to a point where i can say the most appealing point made to the game are the graphics filled with "rich", and "colorful backgrounds" that can put a smile just as you start playing the actual game,
    aside from that
    there's the obvious and bast improvement of the original music that brings memories to my heart like if it was something much more "magical" and "vivid" than what the actual game superficially speaking truly is.
    The game also features fully animated cutscenes they aren't as enjoyable as playing the actual game though, it never ceases to amaze me how pointless and unnecessary the cutscenes of this game were,
    they didn't add any context whatsoever even then they happen to be constantly interfering with the game flow at it's entirety.
    Jumping and falling happen in this game quite often i found myself exploring the bast world that was presented through me using all the past methods that i mention only to find out that jumping in this game can kill me several times this is caused by the lack of realization of the game that tells you what button are you pushing.
    Aside from that the story isn't really the strong point of the game as i said before, non the less i loved quite a bit the experience that DuckTales Remastered had to offered, the music and the art style that the game designers chose to adapt to these games is impressive it never ceases to amaze how couldn't they notice the huge trouble that often cutscenes without any sort of meaning represented.
    Aside from that i love DuckTales Remastered i think is a great remake of the original and despite it's problems is quite fun to actually play the game.
  22. Aug 23, 2013
    Love it. Make more DuckTales games! Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
  23. Sep 1, 2013
    [From The Global Marketeer]

Musical earbugs and great TV shows aside, DuckTales is best remembered as a 1989/1990 video game developed and published by Capcom for the Nintendo Entertainment System and Gameboy. Known for its five expansive levels, Nintendo Hard difficultly, and legendary soundtrack, the game was a smash hit and received great reception at the time, such as from video
    game magazines Electronic Gaming Monthly and Mean Machines.

Nearly 24 years later, the game returns in the form of a remaster by WayForward Technologies; a hi-def polishing of the music, environment, and sprites; as well as adding new things such as cutscenes done by the original TV voice cast, unlockable concept art, and redesigned levels made for the current generation of consoles/PCs. The game’s download size, less than a gigabyte across the board, makes it a quick and easy download to your gaming system, regardless of platform.

The first recognizable addition to the remaster of DuckTales is the introduction level that takes place in Duckburg mansion, under siege by the Beagle Boys. Through this level, WayForward does a good job at explaining the backstory behind the video game as opposed to the original, which left it up to the player to formulate.

The plot mediates on a race between the Ducks and the Beagles to obtain various pieces of treasure. At first; it seems logical, but then the story begins to drift and eventually form holes when the Beagle Boys were nowhere to be found on levels such as The Amazon or in the African Mines, yet plentiful on The Moon and in Transylvania.

Nonetheless, the cutscenes are almost always appreciated the first time around. After that, however, it would really help to have a “press X” to skip option instead of having to go to the pause screen every time thereafter.

DuckTales’ noted difficulty setting is one of spectacle; the ‘medium’ difficulty system is probably not what you expect, depending on how much AAA games you might play. Instead of simplifying the game to cater to a more casual audience, its difficulty is roughly the same as the original (and NES games in general); that is, each setting is arguably a step ahead of today’s games. For the medium setting, it’s three hits and you’re dead, two deaths and the level resets (not counting pickups).

There is a lot of trial and error and the game could easily be likened to Dark Souls or Winnie The Pooh’s Home Run Derby. Despite this, the game is for the most part fair, although in some sections (such as the mine shaft section in African Mines) it can be a brutally difficult experience by not letting you go left enough, plunging you to your death even after all of that hard work you spent getting that far.

The game’s treasures (both in the literal sense and the figurative sense) are scattered throughout the level, and it pays off to explore every crevice available to you in the game and then some. It is even possible to obtain an extra bar of life (or two), depending on where you search.

The sound design of this game is outstanding. From the background music of The Moon and The Amazon, to the climbing of ropes, to even hitting a block with your pogo stick, it all sounds spectacular. Although the age starts to show in the voice cast, they perform their lines faithfully and with the same DuckTales flair as the TV show.

Despite minor flickering issues, the game plays fine on the PC and has never crashed on me. It’s what a Day 1 purchase should play like, as opposed to a Bethesda-like assortment of glitches and bugs. The enemy AI isn’t wonky and, spiders aside, all of them are easy to deal with or to get past.

DuckTales is a flawed gem with a lovable cast and a forgettable story. The latter is made up by a good soundtrack and good gameplay, and experienced gamers shouldn’t be too conspicuous about this title. It’s a challenge, but a very rewarding one. In that regard, it’s a great game and definitely worth the $15 (or less) retail price.
  24. Dec 25, 2013
    I disliked the dialog of Webby's dolls getting smashed by Bubba it was unnecessary and an attack on Webby not to mention it sends a bad message to real kids that they should go around bashing someone toys with a club.https://www.change.org/petitions/ban-dialog-from-ducktales-remastered-game-remove-the-dialog-from-the-game?just_created=true

1. Seven. Seven times we sat through the entire opening sequence, whistling the Ducktales theme song along like a deranged school boy, before pressing the start button. But that doesn't mean we also want to sit through the boring new cut scenes in this remake. [September p.92]
  2. Sep 16, 2013
    The game is short, but its price is corresponding to that so there is no reason not to try it.
  3. Sep 10, 2013
    Duck Tales Remastered is for the most part very much like the original. The graphics have been updated and so has the audio quality. The controls and level design are still the same which is both positive as well as negative. They hold up somewhat but feel mostly old and trite. Which makes Duck Tales Remastered a game foremost for those nostalgic and prepared for a lot of frustration.